Alisa von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Rodney drummed his fingers on the table, Teyla, who was sitting just beside him, placed her hand on his to stop him. He glanced over to where Alisa sat on the floor, her back against the balcony Ronan was leaning on.

They all glanced up as Elizabeth walked over to them.

“You guys are up late,” she noted softly.

Rodney shrugged, giving her a questioning look, “Can't you sleep either?”

Elizabeth shook her head, her hands resting against the back of a chair.

“Any progress?” Teyla asked hopefully.

Elizabeth shook her head, “No. He's still in a coma,” she gave them a half smile; “At least he isn't in any pain.”

Alisa let out a soft snort of derision; Rodney turned to her and gave her a sharp look.

“Maybe if I went alone, maybe ...” Ronan pointed out.

“It's not open for discussion,” Elizabeth told him sharply, cutting him off.

“I'm not good at sitting still,” he replied darkly.

“I understand,” Elizabeth sighed, “Believe me, I appreciate how you feel,” she held his gaze for a few moments before addressing them all once more, “Look, we have closed down that section of the Infirmary but if you feel the need to…” she paused, Alisa moved from her spot on the floor to her father, who wrapped his arm around her waist, holding onto her, “What I mean to say is, if you would like,” Elizabeth took a deep breath, “To have a private goodbye, you should probably do it soon.”

“What?” Alisa’s voice shook with unshed tears.

“Are we really there?” Rodney asked, his voice and eyes were dull.

Elizabeth swallowed hard, “I think we might be.”

“Doctor Weir,” Carson’s voice came over the radio, stopping anymore conversation, “I need to speak to you immediately.”

Elizabeth looked up hopefully, tapping her own radio, “What is it?”

“Meet me in your office,” Carson told her, “I think I have an idea.”

Elizabeth gave them a nod before leaving, seconds later the four of them followed on.



Carson appeared from John’s room and over to the small crowd waiting for news, “It's not gonna happen overnight,” he told them, “You can bet on that, “ he stopped anyone from speaking, “But the transformation has begun to reverse itself.

“So,” Caldwell spoke first, “Eventually he'll be back in uniform?”

Carson nodded with a slight smile, “Eventually.”

“That’s great,” Alisa breathed quietly.

“Well done, Carson,” Rodney smiled, “For once again elevating medicine to actual science.”

Carson rolled his eyes, “Well, thank you, Rodney!”

“We'll all finally be able to get some sleep,” Elizabeth said pointedly, she turned to Carson, “Keep me posted.

“Aye,” Carson nodded.

Elizabeth left the room, Caldwell following her. Carson turned to find the team and Alisa standing there.

Ronan coughed slightly, “We might, uh…”

“Stay a while,” Teyla finished for him

“Well, if that's alright,” Rodney added.

“Of course,” Carson smiled at them and headed away as they all looked through the curtain at their recovering leader.

*********************************************
“You wanted to see me?” Rodney entered the Daedalus Engine room.

Hermiod looked up at him, “Of course, Dr McKay.”

“And?” Rodney demanded annoyed, he wanted to get back to the infirmary.

“It concerns your daughter,” Hermiod replied, “Dr Weir asked me to spend some time with her, to see if she would talk to me.”

“And,” Rodney asked again, more worried this time.

“Have you spoken with Dr Weir and Dr Zelenka recently concerning her?” Hermiod asked.

“Not had a chance since everything that’s happened with Sheppard,” Rodney replied.

Hermiod tilted his head slightly, “I believe it would be a good idea for you to talk with them. Alisa is upset; I believe it concerns her own sense of herself.”

Rodney frowned, “What the hell does that mean?”

“I am unsure,” Hermiod replied, “I find myself confused by her often.”

“Thank you,” Rodney murmured, he headed out and went looking either Elizabeth or Radek, whoever he could find first.



Rodney left his meeting with Elizabeth angry, even angrier than he had been after he talked to Radek. He then went looking for his daughter, finding her after an hour or so on one of the balcony.

“Alisa,” he said, managing to say calmly.

She glanced up at him, “I was just going to bed. Night.”

“Alisa,” Rodney called after her, “I want to talk to you.”

She sighed and turned back to him, “About what?”

He stood in front of her, arms folded across his chest, annoyance written all over his face, “Both Radek and Elizabeth have spoken to me recently, concerning your behaviour.”

“Really,” Alisa returned his glare.

“Alisa,” Rodney snapped, “I have let this go on longer than I should but this attitude of yours has to stop and right now.”

“Fine,” she turned and started walking away from him.

“Alisa, get your ass back here right now,” Rodney yelled.

“No,” she snarled as she spun back.

“What did you say?”

“I don’t care,” Alisa told him, “Alright. I just don’t give a damn and I am going to my room.”

“You may be living on your own,” Rodney shot back, anger filling every word, “But you are still my daughter…”

“No, I’m not,” she yelled at him, “Alisa McKay doesn’t exist anymore. Remember?” she took several deep breaths, trying to control herself, “There is no such person on Atlantis.”

She spun again and ran, leaving Rodney standing staring at her.

“Son of a bitch,” he breathed anguished.

*********************************************

John Sheppard wasn't sure what he’d expected Rodney’s house to be like but it wasn't this. The place was…nice. Actually, really nice.

“My mother-in-law decorated when we first moved in,” Rodney explained when he saw the look in John’s eyes, “And since I’ve never had the time, I’ve never changed it.”

John shrugged; he grabbed a seat on the couch across from Carson and stole the remote control from the doctor who simply picked up his book again.

“Alisa, get off the phone,” he heard Rodney yell up the stairs.

“Two minutes, Dad,” the teenager called back.

“That means she’ll be on for another hour or so,” Rodney rolled his eyes.

“So,” Carson said, “What’s this about her having a job?”

Rodney quickly explained the outcome of his conversations with O’Neill over the past few days.

“That’s interesting,” Carson mused.

“But it’s a hell of a responsibility to put on her,” John argued, “She’s still just a kid, Rodney. Fine, she’s brilliant and a lot more confident than she was when we first went but she’s still only sixteen.”

“And you don’t think I know this?” Rodney snapped.

“Calm down, Rodney,” Carson said, “John’s making a valid point.”

“Fine,” Rodney replied, “But we talked about this with her,” Rodney reminded them, “Both myself and General O’Neill and she’s fine with it. Hell, she’ll probably prefer the newbies not knowing I’m her father.”

“I’m just saying,” John leaned back, “That I think this might blow up, big time.”




“You were right,” Rodney sighed, taking the seat by John’s bed, “I’ve screwed her up, completely.” He looked over to the lump in the middle of the bed that hid his friend from sight, “And I bet you’re not even awake.”

“Put the light off,” the scratchy voice ordered from under the mound of sheets.

Rodney did as ordered and saw the sheet move again; John’s head appeared, hooded by the sheets.

“What happened?” John murmured.

Rodney could barely hear his friend’s voice; his face was hidden by the sheet but he related the conversations he’d had with Hermiod, Elizabeth and Radek before telling John about what had happened when he talked to his daughter.

“Told you it wasn't as clear cut as you thought,” John muttered, his hand slid out for a second revealing the extent of recovery that was ahead of the Colonel.

“I don’t need you congratulating yourself,” Rodney snapped at him, “I’m asking for your thoughts on how to fix this.”

John laughed softly, which changed to a cough.

“Are you okay?” Rodney asked worriedly, “Do you want something to drink?”

“I’m fine,” John waved him away, “About Alisa, she’s always responded to you talking to her. So talk to her.”

Rodney rolled his eyes irritated, “Thank you so much, Colonel. That’s your advice.”

As Rodney waved his hands in anger, John snatched one of Rodney’s wrists, gripping it tightly.

“She’s your daughter, you idiot,” John growled at him, he needed to sleep again, “Act like it. Be her father.”

Rodney sighed, “Thanks.”

“Now go away,” John pulled the covers completely over his head again, leaving Rodney to muse over what to say to his daughter.



“Cadman?” Rodney called after the woman who was walking out of the gym.

Laura turned, shocked that Rodney was the one shouting her, “Something wrong, Rodney?”

Rodney hated that he had to ask Cadman for help, he hated having to talk to the woman at any time but she did spend time with Alisa.

He grimaced slightly at her cheery grin, “Have you noticed anything wrong with Alisa lately?”

“Something wrong?” Laura looked innocent, “I don’t know, maybe the fact she’s moody, bad-tempered, rude and almost as arrogant as you. Is that what you mean?”

Rodney glared at her, “A simple yes would have sufficed.”

Laura shrugged, innocently batting her eyes at him, “Really?”

“Have you seen Alisa?” Rodney ignored her.

“The last time I saw her, she was cutting a path of destruction towards her room,” Laura told him before becoming serious, “She’s really upset, Rodney and anybody who says anything to her, just gets their head bitten off.”

Rodney sighed before heading off to talk to his daughter, “Thanks, Cadman,” he murmured to her as he walked by.

Laura smiled to herself, despite just barely hearing his thanks, “No problem, Rodney.”

*********************************************

Alisa lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She was trying to find the inclination to do anything but couldn’t. Someone rang the chime on her door and she grimaced, turning over so she could ignore it. It rang again and she jumped up, opening the panel at the side of the door and disconnected it.

Just as she reached her bed again, the door opened.

“I didn’t let you in for a reason,” she snapped at her father.

“Sit down, Alisa,” Rodney told her sharply.

“Dad…”

“Sit!!” he yelled angrily.

Alisa slowly sank onto her bed, her father very rarely snapped at her like that and she automatically obeyed. Rodney sat beside her and took a deep breath.

“Do you remember when you were six,” Rodney started, “And one of the other kids told you there were monsters in the school basement that would follow you home?”

“It’s one of my favourite memories,” she replied sarcastically.

“Alisa,” he growled warningly, she shut up instantly and he sighed, “That night you got up in the middle of the night, climbed in beside me and told me there was a monster under your bed.”

“I remember,” she said softly.

Rodney rested his hand on her cheek, “I said I was there to protect you from the monsters,” he sighed, letting her go he rubbed his hand over his face tiredly, “That’s what this whole thing was about, protecting you but I screwed it up.”

“Dad…”

“I wanted to make sure that no one could hurt you,” Rodney continued, “I wanted you to be safe but I went about it the wrong way.”

“Dad,” Alisa whispered, “I know why I can’t be your daughter.”
“Come here,” Rodney pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly, “Yes you can, Lissa. I don’t care anymore about what we talked about. I want Alisa McKay back,” he whispered into her hair, “I want my daughter back and I’ll sort out whatever O’Neill suggests to protect you when we’re on Earth.”

“Really?” Alisa looked up at him with wide eyes.

“Of course,” Rodney replied, smiling as she squeezed him tightly.

“Thank you, Dad,” she breathed, “I’m sorry I was such a…”

“Brat,” Rodney suggested with a smile.

“Uber-brat,” she corrected, she sighed in annoyance before trying to explain, “When Donaldson told me how wonderful it was that you’d got things wrong on Doranda, I realised that last year no one would dare say something like that to me. Everyone knew who I was, they all respected that boundary.”

Rodney took in a deep breath, “You have to apologise to a few people as well.”

“I know,” she stayed rested against her father’s shoulder, feeling safe as he rocked her gently, “Dad,” she said after several minutes.

“Yeah?” Rodney asked, startled out of his reverie; he was enjoying holding his little girl again.

“Can I stay with you again?” Alisa looked up at him hopefully, “I know it’s every kids dream to move out but…”

“But?”

“I don’t like staying alone,” she confessed, “I like knowing you’re only in the next room if I need you.”

“Yes,” Rodney laughed, “I prefer you being there too.”

“Love you, Dad,” Alisa hugged him tightly.

He hugged her tightly, “Love you too, Lissa.”



“Dr Weir?” Alisa stood at the door to the office.

“Come in, Alisa,” Elizabeth said, glancing up from her work, “I’ll be finished in a minute.”

Alisa walked in slowly and stood behind the desk, she’d come here after talking to her Dad knowing she had to apologise to everyone she’d been rude to over the past few days.

“Take a seat,” Elizabeth told her, she closed her laptop, “What can I do for you?”

Alisa winced, “Nothing, actually. I’m here to apologise.”

“Ah.”

“I just want to apologise for…” she hesitated, “Well basically everything. I shouldn’t have been so rude to you and I should have shown you the respect your position, as well as you deserve.”

“Thank you, Alisa,” Elizabeth nodded, “I accept your apology. Is there anything you need to talk about?”

“No, Ma’am,” Alisa smiled slightly, “Dad and I talked. We’ve worked it out.”

“Good,” Elizabeth smiled, “However, you do know you can talk to me, or any of us, Alisa, right?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Alisa ducked her head slightly.

“Am I interrupting?” Caldwell’s voice stopped Elizabeth’s next comment.

“No,” Alisa stood up, “I was just leaving. Thank you, Dr Weir.”

With that said she left the room and Elizabeth sighed.

“I interrupted something?” Caldwell asked, taking the seat she motioned him to.

Elizabeth shook her head, “It’s strange,” she mused, “I’m the only member of the original senior staff whose first name she doesn’t use.”

Caldwell shrugged, “Have you ever asked her to?”

Elizabeth looked at him, realisation hitting her before she smiled, “Anyway, we have a meeting…”



Alisa headed to the lab; she wasn’t looking forward to this apology. She’d been an extreme bitch to Radek.

“Are you here to finish your experiment?” he asked, spotting her standing there.

“Not just now,” she kept her eyes down, “I didn’t know if you’d still want me working with you.”

He didn’t say anything, just watched her waiting for what she wanted to say.

“I’m really sorry, Radek,” Alisa apologised, “I…I wasn’t happy so I was taking it out on absolutely everyone I could.”

Radek leaned against the bench, “Are you happy now?”

She shrugged, “Dad and I had a talk. I’m sorry, Radek, I’ll make up everything I missed. I promise.”

Radek nodded, “Very well, Alisa. Tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you,” Alisa smiled in relief, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”



“Well?” Rodney asked when Alisa joined him on the balcony.

“I made my rounds,” she told him.

Rodney nodded, “Good girl. Now, tomorrow you have to admit to being my daughter again.”

“I can handle that,” she told him, “Assuming you can.”

“Brat,” Rodney muttered, resting his arm across her shoulders and hugging her.

“Like Father, like Daughter,” she shot back, leaning into his hug.

Alisa smiled, as for the first time in weeks, she felt like she was herself once more.