Frozen Partnership von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed Settled especially Alby and Dimac99 who both reviewed after I received a rather nasty review for it, you guys gave me the confidence I needed to continue with this series of stories so thanks, enjoy and I promise a part two to this story soon.

*********************************************

"Then that's final," Rodney stood up with a curt nod to Elizabeth before marching out of the room.

"Can I please shoot him now?" Sheppard asked plaintively, "Just a flesh wound, he'll be up and about in no time."

Elizabeth sighed, "Major, what Rodney went through a few months ago was extremely traumatic. We have to give him time to heal."

"Did you know that the only members of the science teams who'll go near him are Grodin and Zelenka?" Sheppard challenged as she frowned at him, "And that's only because they lost the draw. Ford and Teyla avoid him like the plague on missions leaving me with him."

"What do you want?" Elizabeth demanded annoyed, "Do you want him off your team?"

"No," Sheppard snapped back before sighing, "He's still needed, I guess I just want the old McKay back even if he was a pain in the ass."

Elizabeth nodded in agreement, "We'll give him just a little more time John and see what happens. Then we'll discuss shooting him."

-

Rodney punched, taking out his frustration on the bag hanging from the gym ceiling. He didn't know what was wrong with him these days; he just couldn't shake the feeling of depression that covered him like a wet blanket. The loneliness filled his lab and room especially.

He dreamed about her most nights holding onto the pillow that still had the lingering scent of the perfume she wore, a perfume from her home that he'd loved...still loved.

"Why am I so dumb?" he asked the empty room, he knew his own behaviour lately was making people avoid him and the worst of it was he wanted company but just couldn't help being the repellent personality that he was right now.

There were very few people who didn't avoid him these days, Elizabeth because she couldn't, Carson for the same reason, Sheppard who seemed to like the challenge and Grodin and Zelenka. He knew that they'd been the ones to lose the pool set up by the others; he wasn't deaf despite what people seemed to think and had overheard this whilst eating breakfast, alone, one day.

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out her bracelet gently fingering it he sank to the floor with a sigh. She had told him to hold onto it a few days before everything happened while she was training, he'd slipped it into his pocket forgetting about it until the day after she left. He would never forget the sadness in her eyes the moment before she stepped through the Gate and he would feel the sting every day.

*********************************************

"What's up?" Sheppard appeared in the Gateroom, trying to look awake and alert despite having been woken in the middle of his well earned rest, where Elizabeth was standing at the Gate.

"We received a call from Commandant Sidon," Elizabeth explained, "He requested that he and an associate be granted a meeting to discuss what happened to Rodney."

"When's he due?" Sheppard asked as the Gate started to dial, "That answers that question."

They both turned as the Gate opened.

"It's Commandant Sidon," Grodin reported.

"Drop the Shield," Elizabeth ordered waiting for Sidon to appear.

The older man walked through the event horizon nodding hello to them before his companion appeared.

"Kiara?" Elizabeth smiled pleased to see her.

"Dr Weir," Kiara stated coldly, "As I am an official of my Government it is customary to refer to me by my title. I am Uted Delton."

Elizabeth looked a little surprise but nodded, "My apologies Uted. It's a pleasure to see you both, now if you would join us in the Briefing room we can get on with why you're here."

As Kiara and Sidon headed upstairs Sheppard leaned into Elizabeth.

"Did you feel the temperature drop several notches there?" he muttered.

"It might get even frostier soon," Elizabeth sighed, "I asked Rodney to come to this meeting."

"Fancy betting on seeing fireworks?" he asked.

Elizabeth shuddered, "I'm so not taking that bet," she took a deep breath and entered the briefing room taking her seat.

Sheppard took his place at her side while Sidon took a seat Kiara standing stiffly behind him.

"Ki...Uted Delton," Elizabeth said, "You should take a seat."

"It is protocol that I stand," Kiara replied in the same even tone.

Elizabeth glanced at Sidon who just shrugged at her, "If that's protocol who am I to argue."

Sheppard frowned at her, "Where have you been for the past two months?" he winced as Elizabeth kicked his ankle hard under the table.

"Alright Commandant..." Elizabeth started but was cut off as the doors opened.

"Sorry I'm late Elizabeth," Rodney walked in; "I was..." he trailed off his eyes widening in shock as he recognised the woman standing there, "Kiara?"

Sheppard noticed a slight tightening of her shoulders but other than that she remained impassive.

"What...What are you doing here?" Rodney asked stunned.

"I am here Dr McKay," Kiara answered coldly, "To help remove a group of people who I believe have been infiltrating my world and recently made several attempts on your life. That is all."

Rodney flinched slightly before he sank into a seat beside Sheppard. The silence in the room became stifling.

"Dr Weir," Sidon broke the silence, "Kiara contacted me a few weeks ago raising some concerns about the most recent attempt on Dr McKay's life. She noted that it couldn't have just been someone taking advantage of an opportunity."

"Why not?" Sheppard asked intrigued.

"The `chip' although it is quite a simple procedure requires specific equipment which must be set up," Sidon explained, "This takes at least one hour."

"But that would mean someone would know that Rodney was going to be there at that time," Elizabeth frowned.

"Precisely," Sidon nodded, "I persuaded Kiara to return to work for me for the duration of this investigation. I also believe your help will be invaluable."

"How?" Sheppard asked suspiciously.

Sidon sighed, "I do not know who within the Enforcers and my own Government are tied to this just yet. Therefore I believe placing the safety of one of your own in your hands with our help would be the best idea."

Elizabeth glanced at Sheppard who shrugged before she turned back to him, "I need to discuss this with my people. I'll have someone show you around and you can get something to eat."

Sidon nodded to her waiting for the young soldier she called to be their escort. He glanced back at Elizabeth with a shrug as Kiara marched out of the room like the perfect officer she was trying to be.

-

"Well?" Elizabeth asked.

"If what they say is true and we have no reason to doubt either of them," Sheppard started, "Then I say we help."

"Rodney?" Elizabeth turned to him, "What's your opinion?"

Rodney looked at her seeming startled that she was asking him but he managed to recover, "I want to know who it was."

Elizabeth gave him an encouraging smile, "Major, I want you and your team to work with Ki...Uted Delton on this."

Before Sheppard could say anything Elizabeth kicked him again and waited until Rodney left the room.

"Ow," he whined, "That really hurt."

"Major, keep an eye on them," Elizabeth ignored him, "And make sure you give me regular updates on what's happening."

Sheppard nodded curtly before exaggeratedly limping out.

*********************************************

"Kiara," Sidon muttered as they walked through the corridors following their guide, "That was completely unnecessary."

"What was?" she asked coldly.

"Your insistence at being called by your title," Sidon replied, "You need to work with these people, these people who are your friends."

Kiara let out a sigh of annoyance, "Commandant, I am simply being the Enforcer you wanted me to be."

"I wanted you to work on this," Sidon reminded her, "Not to become the ice queen. I understand that you were hurt but you need to be yourself for this Kiara. That's why you always were one of the best because you followed your instincts and refused to be one of the wooden officers some of your peers are."

Kiara stopped and turned to him, "Let me handle this my way Sidon. I will not let you down but I also need you not to second guess me."

"Kiara."

"Sidon," she stopped him, "You have to trust me."

"I do trust you," he assured her before grimacing, "I just don't trust that temper of yours."

-

"Commandant Sidon," Elizabeth said as they re-entered the control room, "I'm happy to allow Uted Delton to work with us upon this."

"Thank you Dr," Sidon replied, he moved them away from where Kiara was standing, "She's still upset about what happened and that's why she's acting the way she is."

"That's understandable," Elizabeth said sympathetically.

"Once she's into the swing of her mission she'll start acting like her normal self," Sidon told her, "Trust me I trained her."

"Well we should get you home and get them started," Elizabeth smiled, "Don't worry. We've worked with her before."

Sidon gave her a sympathetic glance, "Good luck."

"Peter dial the Gate," Elizabeth ordered.

"I'll send all the information plus Kiara's things once I'm home," Sidon told Elizabeth, both noting the grimace on Kiara's face at him not using her title.

"Thank you," Elizabeth nodded to him, once he'd left she turned to Kiara, "Dr Beckett was working on the chip now it's been removed from Rodney. He should be your first call."

As Kiara started to leave Elizabeth called her back, "You know where you can and can't go. Major Sheppard has assigned you your original room so I'll have your things sent there."

Kiara's mask slipped for a second before it settled back in place and she gave a curt nod before marching out to go to the infirmary.

"So," Sheppard joined her, "What's the bet?"

"Less than a week they're back together," Elizabeth said.

"Nah," Sheppard shook his head, "They're both too stubborn, I'd say major yelling match in less than two days."

Elizabeth grinned, "You're on."

-

Kiara walked slowly into the infirmary trying hard to forget the last time she'd been in here holding Rodney's hand terrified of what would happen when he woke up.

"Kiara!" Carson called genuinely pleased to see her.

"I am here on official business Dr," she stated coldly, "It is appropriate you call me Uted Delton."

"Oh please," Carson rolled his eyes at her, "Look, that may have worked on the others but not me, so hello Kiara."

She let out a sigh of annoyance before smiling, "Hello Carson."

The doctor grinned as he hugged her, "That's better, it's good to see you."

"You too," Kiara sighed hopping up to sit on one of the beds, "Elizabeth said you had been working on the chip?"

Carson nodded, "I've found a few things you'll probably be able to recognise. Come on."

She followed him through to the lab ignoring everyone else waiting as he pulled out his results.

"Where have you been for two months then?" Carson asked, "We've been worried about you."

"Really?" amazement tinged her voice before she shrugged, "I was part of a team who rescued the son of the chieftain of Aloes stopping a war in the process a few years ago. They were happy to let me stay for a while as I was one of their son's saviours, I actually only piloted the ship but who was I to argue with them."

"And what did you do there?" Carson asked.

"I thought a lot about what had happened," she confessed, "It made no sense to me and after a while I began to realise someone had set it up. That's when I called Sidon."

"So he persuaded you to come here," Carson laughed.

"No he persuaded me to work for him again, then ordered me here," she rolled her eyes.

"Well, let me show you what I found," Carson said pulling out the lab results.

-

Rodney sat in his lab not sure what to do. He'd asked her to leave, he'd told her to go and he'd regretted it ever since. Now suddenly she was back leaving him even more confused than before. Pulling out her bracelet he gently fingered the delicate silver chain wondering how he'd manage to get through the next meeting with her. Kiara had just given him a blank look that didn't show that they had been so close not that long ago.

Taking a deep breath he made his decision, if she could act like they had never known each other so could he. He grabbed the bottle of painkillers throwing a few back taking away the edge of the headache.

*********************************************

"Okay," Sheppard called the meeting to order, around the table was himself, Ford, Teyla, Rodney, Carson and Kiara, "What exactly have you found?"

"I've been studying the chip ever since it was removed from Rodney," Carson started noticing the man he was speaking about gently touching the small scar behind his ear, "The problem is, I have no information from it."

"Shouldn't there be something?" Rodney snapped.

"That is something," Kiara jumped in, "There were only a few made and I checked the manifest from when they were confiscated and there is one missing. Carson and I looked over the chip and there are no markings on it which is exactly the one that went missing."

"How do you know there aren't any more?" Ford asked her.

"Because making them now is impossible," Kiara explained, "I have an idea who stole it."

"Well enlighten us," Rodney snapped.

She turned back to him her green eyes glinting, "The same group Gerd worked with."

"I thought you got rid of him," Sheppard asked stopping them before the argument started.

"Yes, but there's more people working with him," Kiara replied, "All I need is some more information and then I believe I can get them."

"Okay," Sheppard mused, "Tell us when you have it."

-

Kiara walked through the corridors with Carson listening as he murmured to himself about what he needed to do.

"Kiara, you should go get something to eat," he told her, "I don't think I've seen you eat since you've been here."

"I guess I'm just avoiding the mess," Kiara sighed noting the look in his eyes, "How's he been? Really?"

"Unpleasant, annoying, frustrating, hyperactive, pretty much your basic nightmare," Carson told her.

"It has to be from the chip," Kiara told him, "But we have no frame of reference."

"You do know Rodney was like that before he met you?" Carson teased, "He became a lot nicer to be around after you made an appearance."

He was pleased to see a gentle blush cover her cheeks before she shrugged, "Okay, I will go and get something to eat and then I suppose I should try talk to him."

"Well good luck," Carson told her as he left her alone.

"Thanks for the support," she grimaced heading to the mess.

-

Rodney sat in his lab chewing methodically on his power bar not tasting it at all. He was trying his best to focus but the headache was hampering that. He swallowed a large gulp of his coffee before pulling out the bottle of painkillers, after a slight hesitation he poured a few into his hand knocking them back quickly taking another drink to push them past his dry throat.

Trying to refocus he grimaced, his headache wouldn't go away so after another few minutes he opened the bottle again annoyed to find only one drop out. This meant he'd have to get some more painkillers which meant leaving his lab. Rodney closed his eyes resting his forehead against the cool table, he'd move in a few minutes.

-

Kiara walked back into the infirmary happy that she hadn't run into Rodney in the mess freezing to find him standing talking to Beckett. She stopped moving to watch them noting the bottle of pills the doctor handed him she then jumped behind the curtain so he didn't see her.

"You can come out now you know," Carson's voice made her wince; his amused face the first thing she saw when she emerged, "So much for the fearless enforcer."

A blush covered Kiara's pale features, "I'm not ready to talk to him without the job to back me up."

Carson frowned slightly, "You know he loves you Kiara and he's just as scared of opening up."

"I'm an idiot Carson," Kiara sighed dropping to sit on the nearest seat, "I shouldn't have left."

"Finally you see what the rest of us always knew," Carson laughed making her pout slightly, making him laugh even more, "Would you go and talk to him."

"What do I say?" she asked sadly.

"Well hello would be a good start," Carson replied, "Now shift."

-

Rodney sat in his room relieved that his headache had finally lost its edge. It was taking more and more painkillers to get rid of it but for the first time in several hours he didn't feel like his head was about to explode. She didn't think he'd seen her hide to get away from him but he had and it hurt more than the headache.

God, he missed her so much but trying to tell her that, his brain would freeze making him spout off something to try and protect himself pushing her away in the process. He jumped hearing someone knock pushing the bottle under his bed before climbing to his feet, "Yeah."

The door swung open and the last person he expected stood there.

"Hi Rodney," Kiara said softly worry in her eyes.

He almost physically jumped when she spoke his name, something she rarely did, "What are you doing here?"

"I...em...I came to see how you are," Kiara drummed her fingers against her legs, "So how are you?"

"I've been better," he replied watching her as she started to lace her fingers.

"Can I at least come in?" Kiara asked, "People may talk if you have me standing here for too long."

Rodney shrugged, "This is Atlantis, they'll talk no matter what."

Kiara laughed softly entering the room as he moved out of her road, she settled cross-legged on the bed, "Carson said you've been having slight headaches since it happened."

"They're wearing off," he lied pulling a seat over pleased to see her smile.

Kiara reached out and gently touched his cheek, "I've been worried about you."

"You have?" amazement filled his voice.

"Of course I have," Kiara breathed, she let her fingers continue to stroke his skin, "I told you when you were on the ledge. I love you."

"What about Tay?" Rodney silently cursed himself for asking.

"That wasn't Tay," Kiara pulled back and placed her hands behind her on the bed leaning back on them, "Tay's dead."

"But..."

"I know," she sighed, "You know it took me about two days to work it out after I left here which considering I'm a trained Enforcer is shocking. Whoever that was, was a pretty good actor considering he fooled my parents and me."

"I don't understand," Rodney grimaced.

Kiara sighed, "Tay was a well known person and since I was his fianc I was known as well. Whoever it was must have studied plenty of footage to be able to imitate him so well but I identified Tay's body, I knew Tay better than anyone and that wasn't him."

"What if it had been?" Rodney couldn't believe he was asking this.

Kiara moved kneeling up so she was face to face with him, "Look into my eyes Rodney."

Slowly he looked into her green eyes captivated as always.

"I did love Tay, a lot," she told him, "And when he died I never thought I'd be able to feel anything like that ever again. Then I met you and despite you driving me insane easily I am totally and completely crazy about you. The past few months, not being with you, not knowing if you were alright was horrible."

"Why did you leave?" Rodney asked an ache in his voice.

"You asked me to," she replied.

"And I'd just tried to jump off a building," he snapped, "I wasn't in the greatest frame of mind at that point. I needed you."

"The reason I left," Kiara sighed, "I needed to work out some things in my head after what had just happened. You saying you wanted me gone gave me the push I needed but I always intended coming back, though I will admit not this soon," she stopped and looked at him with a coy smile, "You needed me?"

"Yes," he admitted softly.

"And now?" Kiara pushed moving closer to him.

"I need you," Rodney whispered, "I missed you," he smiled reaching out slipping his hand through her hair; "I love you."

Kiara moved resting her head against his shoulder wrapping her arms around him in a tight embrace, "I love you too Rodney."

Rodney pulled back, "You know I never did like you calling me that."

Kiara laughed, "McKay," she leaned her forehead against his for a moment before hugging him again.

-

"So?" Elizabeth asked looking around the table at Sheppard, Teyla, Ford, Carson, Rodney and Kiara, "What have you got?"

"Not much," Kiara admitted with a sigh, "The chip has no markings to follow so we can't find them that way."

"I have an idea," Carson spoke up, "But you might not like it Rodney."

"What is it?" Rodney demanded apprehensively.

"I think we could hypnotise you to find out what happened when they implanted the chip," Carson told him Rodney's eyes filling with horror with each word.

"You want me to remember what happened?" Rodney cried in astonishment, "Are you nuts?"

"It's actually a good idea," Sheppard mused as Teyla and Ford added their agreement.

Rodney glared at them before turning to Elizabeth and Kiara, "Well?"

"Hate to say it McKay but I agree with him," Kiara told him, "If you can tell us even a description of one person I may be able to find something in the Enforcers files."

"Elizabeth?" Rodney appealed hoping she'd disagree with the others.

"I'm sorry Rodney but I have to agree with the others," Elizabeth told him seeing his scowl deepen; "If you can remember anything through the hypnosis it could lead us to whoever tried to kill you."

"Rodney," Carson said, "Nobody is going to force you to do this but it may help."

Without anyone to back him up Rodney reluctantly nodded, "Alright, I'll do it."

-

"Rodney you have to relax," Carson sighed annoyed at his friend.

"I am relaxed," Rodney replied as he sat ramrod straight on the seat in front of the doctor.

"Rodney your spine is so straight we could use you as a ruler," Carson frowned at him, "I know you're worried but you need to not think about it."

"How can I not think about it?" Rodney snapped his hands waving madly in his annoyance, "You want me to remember having something put into my head that nearly killed me, you relax."

Carson let out a snort of annoyance glancing over to where the others stood observing, "I will be back in a minute," he told Rodney, "Meditate or something just relax."

With that Carson stalked over to talk to the others all of whom were standing around waiting patiently with the exception of Kiara who looked like she was about to fly apart as she bounced nervously from one foot to another.

"I can't put him under if he won't relax," Carson told them, "He's fighting the hypnosis."

Elizabeth frowned, "Anyone have any ideas?"

"We could dope him," Ford suggested, "Give him some morphine or something that would relax him."

Carson rolled his eyes at the younger man turning to the others, "Any other suggestions that don't involve drugging him."

"I do," Sheppard grinned turning to Kiara he murmured something to her.

"What?" she demanded looking more than a little embarrassed.

"It'll relax him," he told her his grin not fading.

"Hysterical," Kiara frowned at him before sighing and turning to the others who were waiting expectantly, "The Major suggests I relax him."

"That's actually a good idea," Elizabeth said noting Kiara's face redden slightly, "If you're there with Carson maybe you can relax him so he'll go under."

Ford chewed the inside of his lip to stop any comment escaping noting Sheppard's grin widening as Kiara closed her eyes.

"You people are nuts," she told them before joining Carson as he returned to where Rodney was sitting.

"Are you ready to try this again?" Carson asked as he retook his seat Kiara pulling one across for herself.

"Sure," Rodney grimaced looking confused at Kiara's presence.

"Then close your eyes," Carson ordered turning to Kiara and nodding.

She gently took Rodney's hand stroking the skin frowning as he looked at her, "Close your eyes McKay," she ordered, "And relax."

Rodney took a deep breath and closed his eyes again, sighing slightly as Kiara rested her hand on his neck massaging the tensions away.

Carson smiled watching as Rodney relaxed under her touch and he succumbed to the hypnosis.

-

I'm on the transport. I don't really notice anything, I'm can't. I've lost Kiara. Got to keep breathing, got to keep concentrating on getting back to Atlantis where I'll be alone.

I need to...I'm not alone...someone has me. I have to get away but I'm strapped to a table. I feel the straps bite into my wrists as I struggle but I can't get away.

Someone's turning my head, holding my head...stop...stop...STOP.


-

"Stop," Rodney yelled jerking awake fear in his eyes.

"It's alright Rodney," Carson soothed, "Just relax for a few minutes."

Rodney turned and saw Kiara sitting at his side waiting worry in her eyes, without a word he moved resting his head against her shoulder relaxing as she gently stroked his hair.

"Okay?" Kiara asked when he moved back.

Rodney nodded, "I saw someone."

"Can you describe him?" Sheppard asked as everyone moved closer.

Rodney frowned, "Tall, brown hair..."

"Anything else?" Sheppard asked, "Any distinguishing marks."

"I...I think..." he grimaced thinking, "Yeah, he had a scar on his cheek."

"Can you draw it?" Kiara asked intently.

Rodney nodded taking the pad of paper Carson handed him quickly scribbling a strange design onto it. Kiara grimaced as he showed her the sketch.

"You know who it was," Elizabeth said, "Don't you?"

Kiara nodded, "Oh yeah."

*********************************************

"His name is Trist Yerda," Kiara explained her brow furrowed as she explained, they had returned to the briefing room, "His scar is legendary."

"Dare we even ask why?" Sheppard rolled his eyes.

"He cut the design into his skin not long after he created the cult he leads," Kiara explained a grimace on her face.

"Have you ever met him?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yes," Kiara admitted after a pause, "I have."

"Well?" Sheppard demanded.

"He and my sister were a couple for quite a while," she disclosed noting the horror that filled Rodney's eyes, "I've spent quality time with him."

Elizabeth frowned staring at the young woman, "Do you have any idea where he is?"

Kiara nodded again, "Sidon has been tracking him for years and he's well known but has never done anything that we could get him for. He and the small group he leads live on what was one of our colony's years ago before the Wraith decimated it."

"Elizabeth," Sheppard said, "We're ready to go."

"To do what?" Elizabeth demanded.

"Get rid of this guy," Sheppard told her calmly, "Elizabeth, he's going to keep coming after McKay. We stop him now it's over."

"I'm with the Major," Ford spoke up.

Teyla nodded in agreement, "No one harms one of us without retaliation."

Elizabeth smiled as the team crowded around Rodney before frowning, "I don't know."

"Elizabeth," Kiara spoke up, "If we don't stop them they will continue to come after Rodney and the next time they could kill him."

Rodney stood up and walked towards Elizabeth leaning on the table so he was looking into her eyes, "I want to do this Elizabeth, I don't want to live in fear."

Elizabeth nodded finally, "Alright."

-

Rodney grimaced as his headache started to pound again. Reaching under his mattress he pulled out the bottle of pills he'd stolen from the infirmary while Carson was getting the prescribed pills for him. He knew that Kiara would more than likely notice if he brought the pills he'd stolen, she noticed things like that and he didn't want her to know how bad his headaches really were.

He needed to be focussed to do this and the last thing he needed was a migraine, quickly he threw back two of his stolen pills before placing the prescribed medicines into his pack.

A knock on his door made him turn and he opened it to see Sheppard standing waiting, "Ready?"

"I guess," Rodney told, him.

"You don't have to come Rodney," Sheppard reminded him, "We can do this without you if you feel you can't."

Rodney shook his head, "I have to come. I need to face this bastard."

"Then come on."

-

Sheppard shivered as the fog rolled around the grey hills, he turned to the rest of his team and Kiara motioning them forward. The information Sidon had given them sent them towards the mountains behind the Stargate. He watched Rodney as they walked who was concentrating on each step. Just behind him walked Kiara and Teyla both women scanning the horizon for any signs of danger, Ford just behind them protecting the rear.

"These should be the caves," Sheppard noted as they finally came to their destination.

Rodney moved to his side, "No lights. Think anyone's home?"

"Let's go see," Ford told them.

The five of them stepped into the dark cave as one, all of them dropping unconscious to the ground the instant they stepped inside.

-

Rodney forced open his eyes.

He saw Kiara lying near him and crawled over to her, "Kiara," he breathed shaking her, "Wake up."

She groaned wincing as she opened her eyes, "What happened?"

"I don't know," he told her helping her to her feet allowing her to lean against him for a few minutes.

Rodney glanced around frowning as he saw Sheppard stagger over to them, "John?"

"Did someone get the plate of the truck that hit me?" he asked as he made it over to them.

"Have you seen any of the others?" Rodney asked pulling Kiara to his side.

Sheppard shook his head, "But I think I've found a lab or something."

"Kiara, you ready to go?" Rodney asked as she pushed herself to a stand swaying slightly.

"Yeah," she replied smiling as he gently kissed her forehead, "Let's find the others."

The three of them moved slowly towards the lab Rodney felt a shiver slide down his spine, something was wrong but he couldn't work out what until the shots came.

Sheppard grabbed them pulling Rodney and Kiara down behind a wall, they all grabbed their guns returning fire. Rodney dropped down to reload spinning in horror as he heard a cry from his side just before Kiara fell beside him.

"Kiara," he cried seeing the large blood-stain covering her jacket, "Kiara?" he checked for her pulse gasping as he found no heartbeat.

"McKay?" Sheppard yelled.

Rodney turned to him horror etched on his face, pain filling his eyes finally managing to whisper, "She's dead."