Box Of Surprises von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:-Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Part Six will be here soon.

Hope you enjoy

*********************************************

"Oh come on," Rodney cried, "This is ridiculous. People grow apart, it happens. There is no mystery."

"Yes there is," Jeannie argued, "We're twins Rodney. Until we were eighteen we spent our lives constantly together. We never let anyone split us up and then we did it ourselves and..." she trailed off for a second her eyes fixing on his tears filling them, "We lost each other."

"Well this is getting us nowhere," the Doctor sighed, "This place is shaped by your thoughts. Use it."

"How?" Rodney snapped.

John turned to him, "You guys were close right?"

"Yes," Jeannie answered.

"What about at school?"

-

Rodney stood leaning against the wall frowning as a man with the air of a teacher walked past.

"What are you doing here?" the man demanded, "Outside the girls' restroom?"

Rodney squared his shoulders about to answer when the school secretary Mrs Farmer appeared.

"Rodney," she greeted him, "Waiting for Jeannie?"

At his nod she smiled and patted his arm, "Alright dear," she turned to the man and moved him on along the corridor.

Rodney watched them walk listening to their conversation.

"That's Rodney McKay Mr Solomon," she explained not realising Rodney could hear, "He's one of our gifted students. He's waiting for his twin sister. They're practically inseparable."

Solomon grimaced, "At my last school we separated twins. It meant they worked better."

"We tried that," Farmer sighed, "Both had severe problems being apart. Even their parents who wanted it agreed finally to allow them to be in the same classes."

"Hey," Rodney turned when Jeannie appeared on her crutches, "Are you ready?"

He took her bag from her and they headed slowly along the corridor to their next class.


-

"So you guys were pretty inseparable as kids," John shrugged, "And you actually didn't talk?" this was aimed at Rodney who shrugged, "Okay what about your parents?"

Rodney looked down at the ground while Jeannie frowned.

"Our parents had very rigid ideas about how their life would be," Jeannie explained, "They would be married for three years before having one child, a girl."

"But I came along as well," Rodney's mouth twisted in a bitter sneer, "I screwed up their plans and they hated me for it, they hated that Jeannie loved me."

"I was the favourite," she continued looking embarrassed, "They would do anything for me but it did mean I could protect him from them."

"So what happened?" the Doctor continued the original thread, "When did you drift apart."

"College," Jeannie answered instantly.

"Why was that?" John pushed, "Why didn't you go to the same place?"

"Because Rodney got a scholarship and our parents couldn't afford to send both of us that far away," Jeannie replied, "Besides the local college had the courses I wanted to take."

John looked at them both thoughtfully, "So that was the first time you were really apart for any length of time."

-

"I'll be fine," Rodney told her as they stood in his new room trying to make it sound like he believed it, "I just wish you could stay a while."

"I can't," Jeannie sighed wishing the same thing, "I have to get home to move to my dorm. Don't worry, we can call each other and write. And we'll see each other over the summer and at Christmas and..." she trailed off as a few tears slipped from her eyes and she hugged him tightly, "Besides you'll be too busy here. Rodney you've practically got your degree. You're just so brilliant it amazes me sometimes and I'm so proud you're getting this chance," she smiled again not managing to hide her sadness; "I should go."

Rodney managed not to pull her into another hug by slamming his hands deep into his pockets knowing he had to let her go, "Call me when you get home so I know you're okay."

Jeannie rolled her eyes still wet with tears, "I will."

She walked away slowly leaving Rodney alone in the room standing unsure what to do now.


-

"That's why I talk," Rodney turned to his friend, "To drown out the silence."

John took that in for a moment before shaking his head, "Sorry I need a better explanation that makes actual sense."

Rodney sighed, "Have you ever been in a room when there's music on?"

"Who hasn't?" John asked a little confused.

"After a while you barely notice it," Rodney continued ignoring the comments, "Until it stops and all you can hear is the silence, the lack of music. That's what it felt like when Jeannie left me there. It became silent without her constant presence. So I talk."

"Alright," the Doctor interrupted, "We have that sorted. Now as to what happened after. Why you got to a point where you never talk or see each other."

Jeannie turned on her brother, "You said I never answered your letters. I never got any letters from you after our first year at college and you never answered mine."

"You didn't send me anything," he snapped back.

"Yes I did," she fumed, "When I moved back home after I broke my leg again I had nothing else to do but write to you. Mom said..."

"What?" Rodney asked as she trailed off anger burning in her eyes.

"She said she'd mail them," Jeannie whispered, "And she brought me the post but every time I asked if there was something from you she told me no."

They stared at each other in astonishment as the realisation hit them at the same time.

"They actually managed it," Rodney laughed bitterly, "They actually managed to split us up and we didn't notice."

"Rodney," Jeannie cried, "You're my twin I needed you in my life and you disappeared. I'm sorry I didn't...I should have..."

He wrapped his arms around her as she cried before he gently rested his forehead against hers.

"I wasn't the only one who disappeared," he told her a small smile appearing on his face, "Before I came here I tried to call you but Mom said you disappeared."

"That would be my fault," the Doctor smiled pointing to a bright light heading their way, "And that I believe is the way out."

*********************************************

John groaned as he opened his eyes finding they were back in the TARDIS with Elizabeth hovering close by.

"Oh, my leg," he groaned shaking it to get the feeling back into the extremity.

As he pulled himself off the couch he saw Rodney and Jeannie hugging again as the Doctor...other Doctor pulled himself off the ground.

"Well, it looks like I'm no longer needed here," he said turning to his successor, "Take care of this place and them."

"You know I will."

Jeannie stepped away from her brother and hugged her Doctor tightly, "Thank you for coming. I missed you a lot."

He pulled back from her and gently cupped her cheek, "You were always one of my favourite people to travel with."

"Thanks," Jeannie grinned, "I'll remember that."

He turned to Rodney, "You may be brilliant but so is your sister."

Rodney wrapped his arms around his sister's waist and rested his chin on her shoulder, "I know."

"Well," the Doctor clapped his hands together and nodded, "Goodbye."

The TARDIS started to whine around them and he disappeared.

-

"I wish we had more time to discuss this but John, Rodney we have a crisis," Elizabeth said heading out of the TARDIS.

Rodney turned to Jeannie who nodded encouraging him to go leaving her standing with the Doctor and Rose.

Jeannie turned to the Doctor, "I can't leave yet."

"Wouldn't dream of making you," he smiled at her, "I have a few repairs to make to the TARDIS so we'll be here for a while yet."

Jeannie grinned and headed out after her brother.

"Do you really need to make repairs?" Rose asked.

The Doctor looked at her hurt, "Do you think I would lie?"

"I think that you were always fond of her," Rose replied with a smirk, "And you're letting her have a little more time with her brother."

"I have no control over what you think." he told her, "None whatsoever."

-

Carson frowned as Elizabeth entered with her entourage including Rodney's sister, he moved to them.

"Rodney, are you okay?" Carson asked worriedly.

"I'm fine," Rodney assured him.

"Good," he said before getting straight to the point, "Each member of the team has been stabbed. However Henderson and Kusanagi were only stabbed when the Jumper arrived back."

"Meaning the assailant is on Atlantis," John finished.

"I've already got Wallace working on teams sweeping the city," Elizabeth told him, "And no one is to go anywhere alone."

John nodded, as his mind turned over all the possibilities. He turned to Carson, "I want to talk to whoever wakes up first the minute they do."

Carson nodded, "Of course."

"Elizabeth," Rodney spoke up, "I want to check out the Jumper see if there's anything there."

"That's a good idea," she nodded, "John, can you make sure someone shadows him."

"I'll send Abbott," John told him, "He's got a semi-interest in science."

"And I'm coming," Jeannie said.

"No," Rodney turned on her.

"Yes."

"No."

They stared at each other for several minutes in silence.

"What?" John asked noting the shocked looks the twins were exchanging suddenly.

"Nothing," Rodney stated softly his eyes not leaving his sisters before nodding, "Let's go."

Neither John nor Elizabeth managed to hide their smirk as Jeannie walked out with her brother a winning smile on her face.

*********************************************

He moved slowly behind the several ships they had keeping hidden until the opportunity presented itself. It had been so easy to get into Atlantis, all he'd done was grab the girl with them and press the knife against her throat. Incapacitating the two who couldn't fly the ship meant he just had two left once they made it here. Unfortunately time constraints meant he hadn't been able to make sure they were dead but that didn't matter. Especially as his prize just walked through the doors.

-

"Jeannie, I still don't get how you did it," Rodney cried as they entered the Jumper bay Lieutenant Abbott just behind them.

"Neither do I," she replied before stopping and staring, "Wow."

"Pretty cool huh?" Rodney grinned at her, "I can fly them you know."

"My brother, the driver from hell, flies now?" Jeannie laughed acerbically, "Oh the terror."

Rodney gave her a playful shove, "It looks better than a blue box. Besides, the one time you were in a car with me you were with Katy Delatorre who I liked. I was a little nervous."

"I know," she grinned.

He frowned at her, "Why did you never do anything then?"

Jeannie smiled at him mischievously, "Because she wasn't good enough for you."

"You thought that?" he asked in surprise as she smiled.

"Go and do whatever you're going to do," she told him following him into the Jumper.

-

Jeannie sat just at the opening of the Jumper watching Rodney taking readings and going over the logs. She was so proud of how brilliant he was and now they'd sorted out what had happened she hoped they would be able to get their relationship back to the closeness of their youth.

Glancing out she saw the man patrolling the room his eyes scanning the room for any signs of an intruder.

"Elizabeth," Rodney called over his radio, "As far as I can tell they didn't have time to make any call for help or note anything."

"We're still sweeping the city," Elizabeth replied, "Get back here and see if you can do anything to help."

"Coming," Rodney replied starting to pack up his equipment.

Jeannie stood up turning as she heard a noise gasping in horror as a man grabbed her by her throat and pressed a dagger against her stomach.

-

"Rodney!!!" He heard her fear filled voice sound like a bell in his head making him spin and he stopped staring in horror at who was threatening his sister.

"Koyla," he growled moving towards them.

"I wouldn't Dr McKay," the Genii told him, "Or I gut her."

"What do you want?" Rodney demanded trying desperately to stay calm.

Koyla smiled at him turning Jeannie so he was holding her with her back against his chest his knife pressed to her throat, "You Dr McKay. You're going to fix something for me."

Rodney stared at him, "Let her go and I'll help."

Koyla laughed, "No. She is my insurance you won't do anything stupid. Now, you can fly this thing, start it and get us to the Stargate."

Rodney stared into his sister's eyes for a moment before he slipped into the pilot's seat starting the Jumper. As it headed up to the Stargate he wasn't surprised when the radio came to life.

"Rodney?" Elizabeth called, "What are you doing?"

He turned to Koyla who smiled sadistically, "Answer her."

"And say what?" Rodney demanded.

Koyla laughed, "The truth Dr McKay. They won't be able to follow us."

Rodney hit the radio, the truth.

-

Elizabeth frowned as the Jumper appeared in front of the Stargate, "Rodney, what are you doing?"

The radio was silent for several minutes; she felt John and the Doctor join her in worry.

"Elizabeth," Rodney's voice finally came over the radio, "Koyla has a knife at Jeannie's throat. He wants me to help activate some device."

"What?" she gasped, "Koyla let my people go."

"He's laughing Elizabeth," Rodney told her, "He's given me co-ordinates but we'll be going to another planet straight away. He suggests you don't follow us through the Stargate and I agree."

"Rodney?" Elizabeth asked.

"It's too dangerous," he told her, "Just tell John...the music's back on and it's louder than before."

With that the Jumper slid through the event horizon leaving everyone speechless. Elizabeth turned to John who was frowning at Rodney's cryptic statement.

"The music," he murmured to himself before turning to the Doctor, "That's how he described losing Jeannie. Sudden silence after being in a room with music, if it's back louder than before..."

"Their minds are connected again," the Doctor grinned, "And it's more powerful than before. Fantastic."

"Why not follow them?" Elizabeth asked.

The Doctor grinned even more, "Good girl Jeannie. She knows the TARDIS can follow without needing the Stargate."

"What about co-ordinates?" John jumped back in.

"The message was for you," the Doctor clicked his fingers, "Which means..."

"There might still be a link," John realised.

Elizabeth watched them stunned as they both started to run.

"John?" she called.

"We'll be back soon," he yelled back, "Don't worry."

-

The Doctor and John ran through the corridors of Atlantis towards the TARDIS.

"Do you think I'll be able to find them?" John asked as they entered the ship.

"Jeannie is confident you can," the Doctor replied as he grabbed the device John had only recently discarded after his walk through Rodney's mind, "And she is very knowledgeable about the TARDIS and its workings. She had to be."

"There's a story in that I want to hear," John murmured as he took a seat dropping his P-90 beside him.

"Maybe later," the Doctor replied, "Are you ready?"

John nodded slipping the device on once more, "Please be right Rodney, please be right."