Box Of Surprises von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing and the title.

I've been watching the new Dr Who and this sort of jumped out at me. You don't actually need to know anything about the new series.

This is set in Season Two of Atlantis but no spoilers as I haven't actually seen it yet.

Hope someone likes it.

*********************************************

"Where are we going?" Rose asked as the Doctor manipulated the controls of the TARDIS.

"To visit a friend," he replied without looking over at her, "Though she might be surprised by me."

"She?" Rose prodded trying to get more information.

"She travelled with me a few years ago," the Doctor explained as the TARDIS started to materialise in its new location, "But her mother became ill and she had to go home."

"Oh," she shrugged, "Then let's go say hello."

They exited into a cool breeze and Rose looked around, "Where are we?"

"Toronto," the Doctor told her, "Nice place. Come on it's this way."

Rose had never actually been anywhere before she'd met the Doctor so each place they landed she was excited to see what was there, even if it was just Earth in her own time.

They reached a house and the Doctor moved to knock before frowning, "This might be a bit of a surprise for her," he mused before shrugging and knocking anyway, "Oh well."

A few moments later the door opened revealing a woman with black hair sitting at her shoulders, grey-blue eyes and a puzzled expression, "Can I help you?"

Rose laughed amused at this, "I thought you said she knew you Doctor."

"Doctor?" the woman asked in astonishment staring at him, she tilted her head to stare into his eyes and a grin broke across her face before she wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug, "Oh my God, Doctor. It's so good to see you."

When she let him go she moved back allowing them inside, "Come on in, do you want something to drink."

"Usual for me," the Doctor said as he took a seat.

"And you..." the woman asked Rose.

"I'm fine," Rose replied, "I'm Rose Tyler by the way since he's not going to introduce us."

"Jeannie McKay," their host grinned disappearing into the kitchen.

-

"How's your Mum?" the Doctor asked as Jeannie handed him a mug of coffee before taking a seat herself.

"She's much better," Jeannie replied, "If I'd had a way to contact you I would have been ready to go back out there after a few weeks. The woman drove me nuts. She's at my aunts just now thankfully annoying someone else."

"And your brother?" he asked knowing how much she worried about her twin.

Jeannie sighed, "I have no idea where he is. I got a tape a few months ago from of all people the US Air Force. I've watched it maybe a dozen times but I have no idea where he is."

"Can I see?" the Doctor asked interested, "I've seen more than you, maybe I can tell you where he is."

Jeannie shrugged, "Why not. I've nothing to lose."

Rose watched as the other woman pulled out a video cassette and slipped it into the player hitting play. She watched the man on the screen for a few moments before glancing at Jeannie who was staring at him sadly. She turned to see the Doctor frowning in deep thought.

"I know that place," he mused leaning closer, "If only he'd move a little more to..." as the man on the screen moved the Doctor let out a cry of success.

"You know where he is?" Jeannie asked excitedly, "You know where Rodney is?"

The Doctor nodded with a huge grin on his face, "Want to go?"

An identical grin covered Jeannie's face, "Give me a minute to get a bag together. I know what the TARDIS is like and I am not getting stuck with nothing but the TARDIS wardrobe choices to wear."

-

Rose wandered around the living room looking at the pictures on the walls and tables. There were several of two older people, one of Jeannie with the man from the tape both looked much younger and finally a picture of Jeannie and a strangely familiar looking man standing in front of the TARDIS.

"Who's that?" she asked the Doctor who was studying Jeannie's book shelves.

"Me," he answered making her laugh.

"No seriously," Rose said, "Who is he?"

"I told you," the Doctor replied, "It's me when she knew me."

"But that's impossible," Rose cried.

"You've travelled in the TARDIS," Jeannie's voice came from behind them, "And you think that's impossible?"

"Did you have major plastic surgery or somethin'?" Rose demanded.

"I'll explain later," the Doctor told her before turning to Jeannie, "Are you ready?"

Jeannie threw her bag over her shoulder and nodded, "Ready when you are."

"Come on then," he threw his arm around Jeannie with Rose following on behind a small scowl on her face, "I think you'll like the changes since you were last in the TARDIS."

-

"Wow," Jeannie exclaimed as she entered the TARDIS, "This looks amazing."

"Hadn't noticed," Rose murmured as she took her place beside the controls.

"So, where is my wayward brother?" Jeannie asked, "I'm guessing it's someplace unusual because you wouldn't get this excited about him being in Siberia."

"Precisely," the Doctor grinned as he manipulated the controls.

"Then where is he?" Jeannie demanded, "You were annoyingly coy in your last form I was hoping you regenerated it out of you."

"Regenerate?" Rose asked confused.

Jeannie turned to the Time Lord, "She doesn't know about any of this?"

"Haven't really had the time to explain," he shrugged moving the conversation back, "Anyway Rodney is in Atlantis."

Jeannie started to laugh incredulously, "The mythical city that sank?"

The Doctor rolled his eyes at her, "You travelled with me for six months to distant planets in the past, present and future yet you don't believe in Atlantis? Jeannie, I taught you to have an open mind."

"I have an open mind," Jeannie told him, "What I don't believe is that my brother is somehow there."

"Ah the human race is an amazing bunch of people," the Doctor grinned, "And there are secrets upon secrets that no one will ever show you. So, let's go see."

"Annoying when he's like this," Rose said to Jeannie, "Isn't he?"

*********************************************

Rodney McKay sat in his lab examining some of the latest acquisitions from the team's last mission. He was tired but that was nothing new, he had a feeling he hadn't actually had a full nights sleep since before they left Earth.

Defeating the Wraith, temporarily, had taken a lot out of everyone. But for Rodney from the death of Peter, to thinking John was dead, to knowing he was an active part in all of that preyed on his mind.

As he sat his mind wandered to his sister, she was three minutes older than him and had always been so protective that he had taken a long time to learn to be without her circle of security. He hadn't seen her in a long time and missed her a lot. The last time he'd tried to get in touch with her she was nowhere to be found, his mother had went on and on about how she'd just left so he stopped trying. If she didn't want to see him then he told himself he didn't care...but he did. Jeannie was the one person he had always loved without questioning either himself or her, his twin sister who he knew adored him as much as he adored her. The one thing his parents couldn't take away from him even when they split them up.

"Hey McKay," John Sheppard announced his presence making sure he had Rodney's attention by thumping his shoulder softly, "Are you deaf or just verging on ultra-obnoxious? Zelenka's been calling you for the past fifteen minutes. I came to see what was happening before he called Carson to rat on you for being suddenly deaf."

"Obnoxious?" Rodney asked, "That's a big word for you Colonel. You should watch out they might think you've defected to the scientist side of Atlantis. And do you mind not hitting me? I need my arm in working order."

"Hah," John barked before looking at the other man concerned, "Are you coming?"

Rodney pushed himself off his seat managing to cover up a slight stumble by leaning back to grab his pad before joining John to head to wherever Zelenka was waiting for them.

-

"Ah there you are?" Zelenka greeted them, "Rodney you need to see this."

Rodney took the seat beside the Czech and studied the readouts, "Where did this come from?"

"I was going through data from the lab we accessed last week," Zelenka explained, "And as I went through everything I discovered notes."

"What is it?" John asked as he leaned against the wall watching the two scientists.

Rodney looked up at him clearly showing the exhaustion he felt, "A possible way to completely destroy the Wraith."

"You're kidding?" John pushed himself off the wall staring at the other two men.

"I don't think we are," Rodney whispered scrubbing his hand over his face.

"We need to check this out," Zelenka said excitedly, "As soon as possible."

"Well considering it is getting late," John halted them from kitting up and heading out straight away, "I suggest we all get some sleep and go tomorrow. I'll tell Elizabeth while you two go and rest. You both look like hell."

"I'm not tired," Rodney snapped quickly making his friends frown.

"Then don't go to sleep," John replied, "Bates is in charge of movie night, I think he's showing something mind-numbing yet entertaining. Go watch the movie, eat the strange popcorn substitute we have and relax Rodney."

"But..."

"Don't make me order you," John told him.

"I'm not military," Rodney replied.

"No," John grinned knowing this was the way to triumph, "But you are a member of my team. And I can ground you."

Rodney didn't say another word slinking out of the room muttering under his breath about big headed military idiots.

-

Elizabeth sat waiting until the verbal jousting match between John and Rodney was getting too heated before interrupting them. She had learned early it was easier to let them yell at each other for a few minutes otherwise no real work would be got out of either of them.

"So," she started the meeting, "What do you have for me?"

"It is power," Zelenka started, "We think..."

"That it could power the shields," Rodney interjected receiving an annoyed glare from Zelenka who just let the astrophysicist continue, "And from the notes Radek found there may also be something down there that the Ancients may have discovered to defeat the Wraith."

"If this could defeat the Wraith why did they leave?" Elizabeth raised a valid point.

"We don't know," Rodney admitted tiredly making John frown and start to wonder what time their Science Chief had actually went to bed, "But it's worth looking into Elizabeth."

Elizabeth glanced over at John who discreetly nodded his agreement with Rodney before turning back to the two scientists waiting for her decision.

"Alright," she told them, "But Colonel Sheppard is going as well and I want you to take Carson. He needs a little field experience and this would be the perfect opportunity."

"No problem," John grinned bouncing up off his seat and turning to the other two, "Are you guys coming or am I going on my own."

"Yeah," Rodney snorted as he and Zelenka started to follow, "Like we'd let you go anywhere near such an important find, Mr 'Let's-see-how-big-a-bang-this-makes' without some supervision."

-

Carson followed on behind Rodney exchanging amused glances with Zelenka as the Doctor and Colonel kept up a running commentary on the latest annoyance that was Kavanagh. Carson had argued about going along with the terrible two but Elizabeth got him with the counter-point that if they were injured at least he was there to help.

"Does anyone hear that?" Rodney broke off in the middle of a rant frowning.

Carson saw John tilt his head a confused grimace covering his face at the strange whining noise coming from along the corridor.

"It's coming from this way," the Colonel said leading the way.

They turned a corner and stopped seeing a blue box in the corner of the room next to the exit to the balcony.

"What the hell is that?" Rodney asked staring at it in bemusement.

"It's a Police Box," Carson answered with a laugh, "Something from the 1950's. The only place I've seen one is in the centre of Glasgow. How one got here I have no clue."

"Then let's see if we can find an answer," John told them arming himself, "Come on."

They moved slowly towards the mysterious box all four jumping back slightly as the door opened and a girl walked out.

"Hi," she said in what Carson noted was a London accent.

She was followed by a man wearing a leather jacket as well as a huge grin, "I forgot how clean this place was," he noted turning to the four men and grinning, "Hello."

"Who are you?" John demanded keeping his gun trained on them.

"I'm the Doctor," he introduced himself, "This is Rose and this is..." he turned to the third figure who was exiting.

"Jeannie?" Rodney gasped in astonishment.

*********************************************

Jeannie had spent several months travelling with the Doctor in his previous incarnation and had adored the man even if he did drive her insane with his little quirks.

Her excitement about seeing her brother was making her bouncy. The one problem was she had spent enough time in the TARDIS to know it had a little habit of going somewhere it wasn't meant to be going.

"We're here," the Doctor announced as the TARDIS came to a bumpy halt.

"So we're in Atlantis," Jeannie said taking a deep breath, "Are we here the same time as my brother?"

"Of course we are," the Doctor looked hurt she didn't trust him.

"Well I for one want to see it," Rose announced heading to the doors, "Come on."

Jeannie watched them leave and followed on just as the Doctor turned to introduce her when she heard him.

"Jeannie?" Rodney gasped.

"Rodney," she cried happily bouncing over to him and jumping into his arms. They hugged tightly both forgetting their companions for the moment until.

"So," a man said with a hint of irritation, "You know who she is McKay."

Jeannie felt her brother let her go; they turned to the uniformed man obviously in the military and in charge.

"John, Carson, Radek meet my sister," Rodney grinned as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, "Jeannie."

It took every bit of self-control she had not to laugh at their faces.

The man in charge who her brother had identified as John stared at her, the Doctor and Rose then the TARDIS.

"What the hell is going on around here?"

-

Jeannie sat beside the Doctor with Rose on his other side in the briefing room as her brother, the man John and a woman introduced to them as Dr Elizabeth Weir sat across from them.

"So you're a Time Traveller?" Elizabeth asked the Doctor.

"That's right," the Doctor grinned, "Go here, go there, see all the wonders of the universe."

"Why are you here?" John asked stony faced.

"Jeannie wanted to see her brother," the Doctor explained, "And when I saw the tape I thought, I know that place, so here we are."

"I don't mean to offend anyone here," Elizabeth said diplomatically, "But how do I know you are who you say you are?"

"This is my sister," Rodney spoke up before anyone could say anything, "Trust me Elizabeth this is Jeannie."

She turned to him, "Rodney, I don't want to doubt you but your judgement is a little clouded at the moment."

"Elizabeth," Rodney said to her softly, "I know my sister. This isn't like someone could dress up like her because even if there were two of them standing there I could pick the real one with my eyes closed."

"Rodney," Elizabeth sighed, "We've been fooled before."

He took a deep breath and turned to her his eyes intent, "I know. But remember when we thought we'd made it home? We all felt something was off, out of place just ever so slightly wrong?"

John and Elizabeth nodded.

"It's like that," Rodney told them, "I know this is Jeannie, I know it's her and not someone pretending to be her. If you've ever trusted me then trust me now."

"So the telepathy thing works then?" the Doctor asked interrupting turning to Jeannie.

The twins looked at each other with identical grins before nodding in unison.

"Fantastic," the Doctor grinned, "I've always wanted to see that in action."

"Telepathy?" Elizabeth asked before John could.

"Happens in twins," the Doctor shrugged, "Though very rarely powerful in fraternal twins."

John turned to stare at Rodney, "You guys are twins?"

"Yes," Rodney answered softly.

"Why have you never mentioned this before?" John demanded.

"Because it's none of your business," Rodney snapped, "If it had anything to do with the safety of the city then yes I would have told you but it doesn't."

"Alright," Elizabeth interrupted, "I want Carson to do a quick examination of all three then they are allowed in the city with an escort at all times."

*********************************************

"I'm not ill," Rose protested as Carson took her blood.

"Sorry lass but it's the rules and Dr Weir is a stickler for them," Carson replied, "It won't take much longer."

"You're from Scotland right?" Rose asked as he continued his tests.

"Aye that's right," he smiled, "And you're a Londoner, been there a few times."

"I'd never been anywhere," she confessed, "Till the Doctor. He has shown me a universe I never even knew existed."

"Tell me about it," Carson grinned back, "I never expected to end up here in the Pegasus Galaxy but here I am."

The teenager grinned at him, "So what's this place like? Are there any aliens?"

Carson laughed, "I'll get Lieutenant Darcy to give you a tour. He's about your age so you'll have plenty to talk about."

"Deal," Rose grinned.

-

"So you've been travelling around the Universe with this guy who has no name and a blue box which travels in time?" Rodney demanded of his sister as they stood on the balcony staring out across the ocean after Carson had finished his tests.

"And you're living in a different galaxy," Jeannie laughed at him, "Come on Rodney, you know if you had the chance to see the things the Doctor has shown me there'd be a dust cloud where you're standing."

Rodney laughed and hugged her quickly, "I've missed you."

"Me too," she smiled leaning into his hug, "And I've been worried about you. The last I heard was that you were getting sent to Siberia because you pissed off the wrong people."

"I'm fine," he shrugged letting her go and staring off into the horizon once more.

Jeannie grabbed his chin turning him to look directly into her eyes, "Now tell me you're fine," she said intently.

"I'm tired Jeannie," he confessed sadly, "But I can't rest. Not until I've found the way to stop the bad guys, until I can make sure we don't all get killed," tears welled up in his eyes and he fell against her shoulder hiding in a way he always used to.

Jeannie wrapped her arms around her brother holding onto him, "Come on. You should get some rest. I'll be fine with one of the others showing me around."

Rodney looked at her amused, "Looking out for me," he laughed slightly, "Like when we were kids?"

"Exactly," she smiled.

-

John had left Elizabeth with the Doctor who seemed to be regaling her with tales of the Ancients he had known. John on the other hand was more interested in checking in on his friend.

The appearance of the sister Rodney had mentioned once in all the time they'd been here sent John's alarm, set to when Rodney may need some support, start ringing. He hit the button on Rodney's door and was shocked when the door opened to reveal Jeannie.

"What?" she demanded.

"I want to see Rodney," he grimaced at her.

"He's asleep," she replied.

"Seriously?" John asked in astonishment, "Rodney McKay is actually sleeping at this time of the day?"

"Yes. Now is it a life or death emergency?" the woman facing him down demanded, "Will the world end if you wait a few hours to talk to him?"

"No," John started only to be cut off again.

"Then let him sleep," she concluded crossing her arms looking scarily far too much like her brother.

"Okay," John backed down, "Look, I came to get him for dinner since he usually forgets the time. Since he's asleep why don't you join us and fill us in on the dirt?"

Jeannie grinned, "Why not, this could be interesting."