Box Of Surprises von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Hope you enjoy.

*********************************************

Elizabeth sat watching the three unconscious people on the couch. John was lying back with one hand resting behind Rodney's neck comfortingly while he held Jeannie's hand with the other. Their hands rested in Rodney's lap as Jeannie had her other hand curled around her brother's arm with her head resting against his shoulder.

If the situation hadn't been so serious she would have been hunting for a camera, it was such a cute picture and the blackmail material would be invaluable.

She looked at the woman at her Head Scientist's side, his twin sister who from what she'd seen loved her brother fiercely. Rodney had mentioned her only briefly in all the time she'd known him, but in his voice when he spoke of her was an overwhelming love.

"Uh oh."

Elizabeth turned to the Doctor who was grimacing.

"What?" Rose asked before Elizabeth could.

"Jeannie's not helping," the Doctor frowned as he stared at some readout, "In fact it's sucking her in."

"What?" Elizabeth cried, "I thought you said she would be able to do this?"

"I didn't count on her empathy," he snapped banging the consol, "Damn, this isn't going to work."

"There has to be something you can do?" Rose cried.

The Doctor frowned, "I know Jeannie well enough to help her but I'm the only one who can operate the TARDIS."

"Times like these you need more than one of you," Elizabeth sighed sadly.

"What?" Rose asked as the Doctor's eyes lit up.

"That's it," he cried.

"That's what?" Elizabeth and Rose asked in unison.

"Another me," he grinned, "There is a tiny rift near here I can use to get the power to bring myself to help them."

Elizabeth and Rose exchanged confused glances.

"Doctor," Rose said exasperated, "You're not making any sense."

"Yes I am Rose," he cried as he started pushing buttons and turning dials wildly, "Yes I am. And no one will be able to stop this since they're no longer there. I just need..."

He trailed off and the whining of the TARDIS started but the ship stayed the same except for a small white paper bag that appeared on the consol.

"What is this?" Elizabeth asked, picking it up and finding jelly babies in it.

"I believe those belong to me," a new voice stated as a hand appeared taking them from her.

*********************************************

"Jeannie, you have to focus," John yelled at her, "You have to think of something positive."

"They took him away from me," she whispered, "They took me away from him. Why would they do that?"

John knew he was going to have to do something and soon.

"Jeannie," he shook her, "Snap out of it," but she remained as lost as she was before and he frowned, "Okay, positive memory. Positive memory."

-

"What do you want?" Rodney demanded as John entered his lab, it was several days since the nanite virus crisis.

"You need a break," John told him, "Come on. I have something to show you."

"Can't this wait Major?" Rodney demanded, "I'm trying to find a way to repower the ZPM's since you keep get rid of our Naquada power generators."

John grabbed his arm and yanked him off the stool, "And it'll still be here after. Now move."

Rodney gave in and walked along the corridors with the Major who was grinning.

"If this is some sort of joke at my expense," Rodney said, "Remember I have access to all the equipment you use in Atlantis."

"You have a suspicious nature," John told him.

"Honed through many years of being right," Rodney muttered continuing to follow on stopping short as he entered the room.

"Happy Birthday," the small group called.

He stared seeing his team, Carson, Grodin, Zelenka and Elizabeth standing all holding presents for him.

"How..."

"Elizabeth has everyone's files," John reminded him, "Happy Birthday."


-

John smiled in satisfaction as Rodney stepped away from the scene and stared at him and Jeannie.

"What's going on?"

John sighed in relief, he had Rodney's attention now, "You don't remember?"

"Just my party..." he trailed off as he saw his sister, "Jeannie?"

Jeannie didn't say anything, just wrapped her arms around him crying.

"Guys," John started but he stopped as he heard someone starting to yell and the twins turned apprehensively towards the source."

-

"You stupid, insolent brat," their father yelled as Rodney stood head down hands clasped behind his back, "How dare you do something so dangerous?"

"It wasn't dangerous," Rodney defended himself.

He couldn't stop the cry of pain he uttered as his father slapped him across his face.

"What have I told you about answering back?" Stuart McKay bellowed as Rodney cradled his stinging cheek in his hand, "The only reason we haven't sent you away is because your sister would be upset."

At this Rodney wisely stayed quiet knowing he couldn't be separated from Jeannie; he wouldn't survive without her.

"Get to your room until I decide what to do with you," his father snapped, "I don't want to see your face tonight. You're grounded for the next six months and if you ever do something like this again..."

Rodney didn't wait to hear the end of the threat; he scrambled up the stairs and into his room curling into the corner. He'd just wanted to do something wonderful for the science fair.

It was later that night Jeannie appeared, having snuck some food up for him. She sat beside him as he ate neither saying a word. As she gathered up the plate to put it back downstairs he caught her arm.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

She shook her head, "Don't be. They would never send you away," she gave him a brilliant smile, "And I thought your project was amazing."

Rodney smiled slightly jumping as he heard his father pounding up the stairs; he motioned Jeannie to leave fast and sat waiting nervously to be punished.


-

"No," Jeannie yelled at the memory.

John forced her to look at him, "You have to stop wallowing with him. You have to pull out some positive memories from your childhood. That had a part of one."

"I can't," she whispered.

"Yes you can," John snapped, "Jeannie, you have to."

"I'm not strong enough," Jeannie cried anguished.

"Really Jeannie," a proper English voice came from behind them, "I don't believe I've ever heard you say anything like that before."

Jeannie turned to see the man standing there calmly waiting for her reply.

"Doctor?"

*********************************************

"Well," the previous incarnation of the Doctor said as he materialised in the TARDIS, "You've changed it I see."

"A few other things as well," the Doctor's current form grinned as they both looked at what they were wearing.

"Who is he?" Rose asked.

"That's me," the Doctor she travelled with answered.

Rose closed her eyes, "Okay, I may not know much about your quantum, space time thingies but I'm pretty sure you said that two versions of the same person couldn't exist in the one place."

"There are small exceptions when it comes to Time Lords," her Doctor explained, "I was able to call up who I was before me now. Though if I had enough power there are actually nine versions of me."

Elizabeth frowned, "Now I'm confused," she turned to the man who had arrived on Atlantis with Jeannie and Rose, "So you're Nine," she then turned to their newest arrival, "And you're Eight."

"Well I don't believe I like being referred to as Eight," the Eighth Doctor murmured, "But it shall suffice for now," he turned back to his original conversation, "Why am I here?"

The Ninth Doctor nodded over to the couch and his predecessor turned a soft gasp escaping his lips.

"Jeannie," he murmured worriedly, "Is that her brother?" he turned back, "It's attacked her again."

"Its attacking Rodney," the Ninth Doctor explained, "She went into his mind with his friend to fight back but it's sucking her in. I'm the only other person here who knows her well enough to keep her together."

"And she knows me better," the Eighth Doctor mused, he took a seat on the ground beside Jeannie, "Plug me in."

-

"Dr Weir," Carson's voice came suddenly over the radio, "Dr Zelenka and the team think they should be able to get the force field down so I can come and help Rodney."

"Good," Elizabeth told him, "Keep working on it and tell me when you have it."

"Dr Weir," Zelenka took over, "You are in the section yes?"

"Yes I am," she replied, "Don't ask how I got here though."

"Are you well protected in case something goes wrong?" Zelenka asked.

Elizabeth looked around the TARDIS, "I'm pretty sure we'll be fine. Just fix whatever you have to fix Dr Zelenka."

"Of course," the Czech cut communication leaving Elizabeth to watch as the Doctor placed the headpiece on the man he claimed was another version of him.

This was giving her a headache.

"Dr Weir," Zelenka's voice returned just after the Doctor activated the device sending the other version of himself into Rodney's mind with the others, "We are ready."

"Alright do it," she ordered.

The Doctor looked up, "Wait," he yelled but it was too late, the consol in front of him exploded throwing him against the wall as the TARDIS tipped. Elizabeth grabbed onto the rail near her seeing Rose gripping the floor. To her surprise the four connected didn't move at all but she didn't have any time to think about that as the Doctor managed to stand up.

"Oh no," he announced; "Now we're in trouble."

*********************************************

Jeannie moved and embraced the man who had suddenly appeared. John studied him and frowned. He wore a velvet coat over grey pants and a white shirt with some strange frilly bit at the neck, his hair was long and curled but it was the intensity in the eyes that John noticed most of all.

She called him Doctor, like the other one. Was it some sort of title or was he missing something. Before he could ask however the world around him tipped and he felt himself flying backwards as Jeannie and the Doctor fell away from him.

-

John came to a crashing halt and found himself being stared at by Rodney.

"What's going on?" Rodney asked confused.

"You don't remember?" John gripped his friend's hand to be pulled back to his feet.

"Not exactly," Rodney replied.

"You were attacked by some sort of alien that's invading your mind telepathically and it's using bad memories from you past to make you want to die," John explained.

"Oh," Rodney frowned, "Why do I think my sister is here?"

"Because she is," John replied smiling at the relief filling his friend's eyes, "Only I don't know where now because something strange...stranger just happened."

Rodney nodded, "Then you've had a look at..."

"Whatever I've seen shall be kept a secret," John promised before giving him a grin, "Unless I want something..."

Rodney shook his head at his friend, "How do we get out of here?"

"I was hoping you would know," John replied frowning, "We should find Jeannie and the guy who appeared just before this happened."

"Which guy?"

"I'll explain on the way," John told him as they started to walk.

-

Jeannie stared around as the Doctor; her Doctor helped her to her feet.

"How are you here?" she demanded, "The new you brought me here."

He smiled at her, "Jeannie you should know by now anything is possible, especially for the TARDIS."

"He brought you here to help," Jeannie stated looking around, "You've not done a great job so far."

The Doctor rolled his eyes at her, "I was hoping you would have lost your penchant for smart remarks. I see I was wrong."

"What happened?" she asked.

"I'm guessing," he looked around, "That the other members of the expedition managed to get down the force field around the section we are in. However the way they did it must have killed the creature."

Jeannie looked at him hopefully, "Are you sure it's dead?"

"Can you sense it anymore?" the Doctor asked her, "Because I can't."

She sighed in relief as she realised her brother was safe before frowning looking around the grey world they were in.

"If it's dead and Rodney's safe," she said slowly, "Why are we still in here?"

"Now that is the question isn't it?"

-

"Jeannie?" Rodney called as he saw her standing looking around.

She turned to him and ran throwing herself into his arms hugging him furiously, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he murmured relaxing holding her.

"Why are we all still in here then?" John asked interrupting.

"I'm not precisely sure," the Doctor replied, "But I have a feeling it has to do with them."

"Us?" Rodney demanded turning to him, "What about us and who the hell are you?"

"This is the Doctor," Jeannie introduced, "The one I travelled with," seeing his confused look she smiled, "I'll explain it later."

"Probably a good idea," the Doctor mused.

Jeannie frowned at him, "Why is this," she waved her hand across the horizon, "To do with us?"

"Because it's Rodney's mind we're in," John answered working it out.

"Precisely," the Doctor smiled, "And Jeannie's guilt is also a factor."

"My what?" Jeannie demanded.

The Doctor and John both rolled their eyes at her.

"Alright so I got a little upset at what I saw," she crossed her arms, "But why is that trapping us in here?"

"Because you have some issues to sort out between you," the Doctor explained, "Jeannie, this is where you find out why he drifted away from you. Like you always wondered?"

*********************************************

"What happened?" Elizabeth demanded as the Doctor ran around the consol pushing buttons, flicking switches and generally muttering to himself.

"Whatever they just did released an enormous amount of energy killing the creature and nearly knocking the TARDIS into next week," he replied, "And with this ship, that isn't just a phrase. I'm trying to fix this before I even attempt to recall them out of the Dreamscape."

"Will they be alright?" Elizabeth asked worriedly.

"Should be," the Doctor replied, "I'm actually surprised they just didn't wake up when that thing died."

"Isn't that a bad thing?" Elizabeth demanded.

The Doctor shrugged, "I don't actually know. You see things like the mind are bizarre. Don't worry I managed to get in so I should be able to help."

"I really wish you wouldn't speak of him in the first person," Elizabeth muttered rubbing her forehead, "You're making me crazy."

He grinned at her, "Rose says that a lot."

Elizabeth grimaced at him but before she could say anything her name was called over the radio.

"Yes?" she replied.

"Dr Weir," Carson called, "Bates and his team just returned."

"Good," she nodded.

"No it's not," Carson replied, "All four have knife wounds and there appears we have someone on Atlantis there shouldn't be."

"Any ideas?" Elizabeth demanded.

"No, none of the team are in any condition to talk to us," Carson told her.

Elizabeth took a deep breath, "Alright. Get Sergeant Wallace to organise teams and make sure no one goes anywhere alone."

"Aye," Carson answered before cutting communication.

Elizabeth turned to the Doctor; "I need them out of there. Now."

"That could be a problem," he replied, "I can't wake them up."