Reconciliation von Wendy Parkinson

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Reconciliation

Elizabeth watched John's departing back and felt tears welling up. He'd come to apologise and this had to happen. It was obvious what he must have thought. Obvious what conclusions he'd drawn. A twinge of anger asserted itself and she hastily wiped her eyes. Yet again he'd been hot headed and impulsive. If he'd stopped to listen, waited for an explanation... but no, that wasn't how John operated. The snap decision won over calm measured thought every time. He'd had to assume that Rodney was here because...

Rodney.

She closed the door and walked through into the bathroom. McKay was on his back under the washbasin, fiddling with the pipework. He sighed dramatically, not looking at her. "It's okay," he snapped, "I managed to reach the wrench myself... and I think that should do it. And might I remind you that I'm an astrophysicist with a PhD and numerous other qualifications and easily the most intelligent person on this project... not a goddamned plumber!" He poked his head out from underneath the sink. "Who was it at the door?"

"Sheppard." Elizabeth chewed on her bottom lip, not sure what to say.

McKay's face softened and he pulled himself out from under the washbasin, using the side of the bath to haul himself to his feet. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes... no." She winced. "I don't know. He heard you shout. I think he assumed..." She waved her hand ineffectually in the air between them.

"Let me guess... he didn't give you chance to explain that when your plumbing went bananas and you rang the control room for help, I was the only one there except for Grodin."

She nodded.

Rodney gently wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug. "You're too good for him, Elizabeth," he said, almost breathing the words into her hair.

Not for the first time, Elizabeth wished she could feel something more than sisterly affection for McKay. She knew he cared about her. The whole base had been buzzing after he'd chewed Sheppard out over Chaya. It was after that she'd told him about her argument with John. She'd had to make it clear he wasn't cheating on her... he was a free agent. Since then, she'd caught McKay looking at her in a way that confirmed her fears that he felt more for her than she did for him.

Rodney soothingly stroked her hair. Sighing deeply, she pulled back a little and looked at him. She smiled weakly. "Thanks, Rodney."

"You know, if you ever..." he left the offer unsaid, but the intention was clear. She only had to look in his eyes.

Elizabeth nodded. "Thanks. But..."

"I know. You don't need to say it. I've heard it all before." He smiled ruefully.

She glanced at the door. "I need to talk to him."

McKay's expression hardened as he reluctantly let her go. "If he hurts you again, I swear I'll tear him limb from limb."

~~~~~~~~

John Sheppard lay on his bed and stared at the ceiling. He'd been too late. He was a stupid arrogant fool and he'd been too late. Rodney McKay had taken his place. His fists clenched involuntarily. Rage, jealousy, white-hot anger welled up in him at the thought of McKay touching her, making love to her... being her friend.

Not hurting her like he had.

He closed his eyes. McKay's face danced before him, smirking in that irritating way that only he did. Sheppard wanted to hit him... hard. He rolled over and buried his face in the pillow. How was he going to work with the man? He groaned.

He'd never wanted to get blind drunk more in his entire life.

The door chimed, breaking into his misery. "Come in!" he shouted, rolling over onto his back. He sat up abruptly when he saw who was standing on the threshold. "Elizabeth!"

She smiled nervously. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." He patted the bed next to him. "Come and sit down," he suggested, and was pleasantly surprised when she did, her weight making the bed bounce slightly. "What can I do for you?" He studied her carefully. Was he going to get the `we can just be good friends and work together' talk? She hadn't looked him in the eyes once since she'd walked into the room.

"You said you wanted to talk."

"You were... busy," he retorted, realising too late he'd let the anger show in his voice.

Elizabeth looked up at him sharply, a steely glint in her eyes. "Rodney was fixing my plumbing. The shower wouldn't work when I wanted to use it and there were no technicians on duty, so he very kindly came over to sort it out. If you'd asked instead of jumping to conclusions..."

John felt his heart hammering in his chest. She wasn't with McKay! He felt a smile beginning to creep across his face. Reaching out, he took her hand in his. "I'm sorry, Elizabeth," he said, quietly. "I'm an impetuous idiot who lets his mouth run away with him. I shouldn't have said what I said... I shouldn't have overruled you..."

She squeezed his hand. "And I shouldn't have imposed unreasonable conditions on our relationship." She licked her lips. "I don't just want sex. But there was Simon... and..."

John reached up and softly caressed her cheek. "Shush. I don't care. I just want you... and whatever you're prepared to give me. I'll wait, I'll..."

"Let me finish, John."

He smiled at the gentle reprimand. "Sorry."

"If... when... I ever get to speak to him again, I'm going to tell him it's over. It has been for a while... I just didn't acknowledge it."

John leaned in and brushed her lips with his. He heard the ghost of a moan sound low in her throat. It was all the invitation he needed to deepen the kiss, wrapping his arms around her and pushing her back down onto the bed, covering her with his body, feeling her move under him, responding to his taste and touch. After a few moments, he pulled back, gasping for breath, and, propping himself up on his elbow, looked down at her and smiled tenderly.

He gently brushed her hair back from her forehead. "You're beautiful," he murmured.

Elizabeth smiled. "So... are we going to give this another try?"

His heart in his mouth, he replied, "Yes, if you'll have me."

Smiling mischievously, she wound her arm round his neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

It was all the answer he needed.