The Other City von T L Kay

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The alarm clock went off shrilly, digging at the headache that was already raging full force in Kate’s head—she had had far too much to drink the night before. With a groan she shifted to turn off the sound, but another hand got there first, reaching over her. With a smile she rolled over to see Evan smiling at her.

“Good morning,” she said.

“Is it?”

She laughed. “Well, maybe we did party too hard.” She groaned. “I have a briefing in half an hour that I am not looking forward to.” She snuggled in closer to him. “Can’t I just stay here with you? I like it here.”

He laughed, wrapping his arms around her. “I think it would probably be best for us all if you knew what you were doing.”

She sighed. “Oh all right.” She got up from the bed and rummaged around for her clothes. She turned back to him, modeling her black fatigues. “Do you think anyone will notice that I’m wearing the same clothes as yesterday?”

Evan laughed. “I think you’ll be ok.”

Kate crawled across the bed and kissed him, then getting to her feet she grabbed her jacket and went out into the living room.

“Kat?”

She turned to see him standing in the doorway in his boxers, holding her duffel bag.

“You might need this.”

She laughed, coming back over to him to get it, and another kiss. “All right, I’ll see you later then?”

“Yes sir,” he said with a mock salute.

She grabbed her bag from him and looked around to make sure she wasn’t forgetting anything. “I really have to go don’t I?”

“Go!” he said with a laugh.

She smiled, turning to open the door, but the person standing there wiped all mirth from her face.

“Major?” said John, looking past Kate.

With an awkward smile she pushed John back into the hallway. “Bye,” she said to Evan apologetically before following her brother out.

“What the hell was that?” he asked as soon as she had closed the door.

“I’m a big girl John.”

“Damn it Katie, he’s on your team. It’s inappropriate.”

“I know how to separate my work life from my personal life.”

“It’s not about that Katie. You’re working for the military now. You could get in serious trouble for this.”

“Well, I’m not in the military John, so I don’t see the problem. And we never got in trouble before.”

They had arrived down on the street. John stopped dead, looking at Kate with a look she couldn’t quite place.

Before? What do you mean ‘before’?”

Kate shifted uncomfortably. “I told you that I knew him back when he was at the SGC.”

“Yes, but I didn’t realize you meant in the biblical sense. Damn it Katie.”

“Stop saying that, you’re over-reacting.”

“Does General O’Neill know about this?”

She smiled mischievously. “He’s the one that introduced us.”

John sighed. “Just…just get in the car; I don’t even know what to say anymore.”

Kate threw her bag in the bag seat and got in. “John it’s not a big deal, ok. And I don’t know why you’re getting all worked up, it’s not like you don’t understand.”

“I’m sorry?” he said as he started the car and pulled out.

“Oh please, I’ve seen the way you look at Elizabeth, are you telling me that there’s nothing going on there?”

John was taken aback. “What do you…What are you…no, no, there’s nothing going on.”

She laughed. “That was a well constructed sentence, really. I know you Johnny; I know when you’re in love.”

“I am not…when did this become about me!? This is supposed to be about you sleeping with Major Lorne.”

“You’re not my dad John; I can make my own decisions.”

“Well then make good ones Katherine. Getting involved with your team members complicates things. How can you focus on completing a mission when you’re too focused on one of your team?”

“I don’t see my connection with Evan as any different from my connection with the other guys.” She paused. “Ok, maybe a little different. But watching Jack and Daniel and them, and watching you over the past few weeks, love is an important aspect of your team dynamic. You love all your team mates, even Rodney.”

John was silent for a moment. “Do you love him Katie?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know yet, do I have to?”

He sighed. “All right, we’ll be done talking about this. But will you promise me something?”

“Maybe.”

“Put the personal stuff on hold for a bit. This whole mission is complicated enough without you adding to it.”

Kate sighed. “Fine. But can you promise me something?”

“Maybe.”

“Tell Elizabeth how you feel.”

John frowned. “I don’t know what you mean.”

Kate shot him a look but let it be, in the meantime she closed her eyes and rested her head on the cool window; she should have taken some aspirin.