The Other City von T L Kay

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The gate shut down behind the small group from Atlantis and General Landry stepped forward to greet them.

“Colonel Sheppard, Dr’s Weir, McKay, Sheppard, welcome home.”

“Thank you General,” said Elizabeth, stepping forward. “It was nice of you to allow us to return ahead of schedule.”

Landry laughed. “Well, this is something we are very eager to investigate. You are welcome to settle in after your visit to the infirmary. You won’t be briefing us until tomorrow as Dr. Jackson is not back yet, and he practically begged us to wait for him.”

Kate smirked at the thought of what her mentor’s reaction must have been when he heard there was a second Lost City. Her amusement was cut short when Landry looked at her. Though he didn’t say anything she knew that he considered her a safety risk. She stepped forward with a sigh.

“Good to see you again sir,” she started off politely. “You don’t need to say anything. I’m sure there’s a nice secure room for me to go to where the medical people will meet me and where I’ll be constantly supervised by highly trained marines?”

Landry shifted uncomfortably. “I’m afraid so Dr. Sheppard. You understand…”

“Of course I do, really it’s ok.” She stepped forward to meet the marines standing behind him. “Lead the way boys.”

“Sir was that really necessary?” asked John after she had left.

“Yes it was. She had a completely unknown foreign entity residing in her. We just can’t risk it until we’re absolutely sure. We have a representative from the Tok’ra coming to give us their opinion. Once we’re absolutely sure she’s clean we’ll let her loose. She understands son, I’d like it if you would too.”

John sighed. “Yes sir.”

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a meeting I must attend to. You three remember where the infirmary is?”


“Hey there,” said a voice from the doorway. John looked up to see Sam standing there smiling down at him. He quickly noted the diamond sparkling on her finger before standing up.

“Colonel Carter,” he started, but she cut him off.

“John, please. All that time on Atlantis together I think we know each other well enough to use first names.”

He smiled. “Sam. How are you?”

“Good, enjoying being back on Earth. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I loved Atlantis, but there’s nothing like good ol’ Earth. How about you?”

He shifted uneasily.

“I’m sorry, that’s a dumb question. This can’t be easy for you.”

“It’s fine now, well I shouldn’t say fine, but it was the past two weeks that were hard. First there was that whole week where I didn’t know if my sister would ever wake up again, then this past week she’s been so disconnected, I can’t reach her.”

“Maybe I should talk to her.”

“Did you know her well when she was here?”

Sam shrugged. “Not well really. I mean I saw her around a lot, and she was often with Daniel, but I know first hand what she’s going through. When Jolinar sacrificed herself for me and then I was left with all those memories, it was hard. Even harder for the fact that I didn’t have someone to help me through it who had been in my shoes. I’d really like to see if I can help Kate.”

John nodded. “That would be wonderful; god knows she won’t talk to me. There was that first day, just after she came back, where she was racing around finding all this stuff and talking nonstop, then she was all quiet and reserved. She’s never really been a talker, but she’s never really been quiet either, you know?”

“I understand. Don’t worry, I’ll talk to her.” She turned to leave, but stopped, looking back over her shoulder. “And John? It’s good to see you again.”

“You too.”


“Dr. Sheppard?”

Kate looked up from her lunch—which was being supervised by two marines—to find Colonel Carter smiling down at her.

“Col. Carter, how nice to see you again. Please sit down.”

Sam smiled as she sank into the chair opposite. “How are you doing?”

Kate shrugged. “I’m not really digging the entourage,” she said, nodding her head toward the marines.

Sam nodded. “Yeah, that’s never fun. At least you’re not locked up.”

“Col. Carter, I know why you’re here and I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but I swear I’m fine.”

Sam looked at her curiously. “Really?”

Kate nodded. “I know that you just want to help, but the circumstances are different. I knew what I was doing, what I was risking, but had to do it anyway.”

“Your brother is very worried about you,” Sam said.

“He’s always worried about me,” Kate said with a smile. “I’m really ok. I just needed some time alone with my thoughts, you can understand that.”

Sam smiled weakly. “Yeah, I understand.”

Kate sighed. “Well, thank you for the good intentions Col. Carter. I should get going now, I have to meet Dr. Lam so she and her team of medics can poke and prod me some more.”

Sam laughed. “All right. It’ll be fine, I’m confident that you’re not evil.”

Thanks,” she said, standing up.

“And Kate?”

Kate turned back, surprised by the use of her first name. “Yes?”

“Talk to your brother.”