The Other City von T L Kay

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Dr. Jackson!”

Daniel turned to see Colonel Sheppard hurrying down the hallway to catch him.

“What can I do for you Colonel?”

“You have a lot of weight around here; you could affect a decision about who goes on this mission.”

Daniel thought he knew where this was going.

“I want you to make sure Katie’s on this mission.”

Daniel was taken aback, that wasn’t what he had been expecting. “I’m sorry, but I would have thought you’d be doing everything you could to keep her off the mission.”

“I know that it’s going to be dangerous, but she deserves this. She risked everything to find this information; she should be the one who gets to discover this.”

Daniel shifted uncomfortably. “I know, but that’s not always how it works.”

“But isn’t that how it should work? Think about how you felt when you weren’t allowed to go to Atlantis. You know Katie well; you know what not getting this would do to her.”

Daniel sighed. “I’ll give it a try, but I can’t guarantee anything.”


“You wanted to see me sir?” Kate asked, standing just outside Landry’s door.

“Yes Dr. Sheppard, please come in. Thank you Walter,” he said to the man standing next to him, indicating that they were done.

“How are you doing after your…experience?” Landry asked after Sgt. Harriman had left.

Kate smiled softly. “Sir, I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but I’ve never been one for small talk.”

Landry laughed. “I can understand that. Well all right then, I’ll get right down to it. We want you on this mission; in fact we would like to give you a command.”

“Really?”

Landry nodded.

“Even though I’m not military?”

Landry smiled. “We had to pull some strings to get the IOA to agree, but eventually they did, with some exceptions. You will be in command of the first string team as long as you have a second in command of sufficient military ranking.”

“Sufficient ranking?”

He sighed. “At least a Major. The IOA is uncomfortable with a lesser rank being in charge.”

Kate smiled. “You would think they would have a problem with a civilian being in charge.”

Landry smiled. “Yes, well, anyway, you will also be second in charge and take command should anything happen to the commanding officer. We’re also prepared to let you choose your own team. I’ll give you some time to think about it before you make a decision.”

“I don’t need any time, I already know.”

“Really?”

“I want Major Lorne and Dr. Zelenka from Atlantis.”

“I don’t know if that’s going to be possible…”

“I know Major Lorne well and we work well together, I trust him and can’t think of anyone better for my second. And as for Dr. Zelenka, he’s the foremost scientist in all things Ancient next to Dr. McKay, and since I can’t have him…”

“Oh all right. I’ll talk to Dr. Weir and Col. Sheppard. Anyone else?”

“Yes, a Captain Martin James. We were at the Academy together. He should be stationed in Afghanistan I believe.”

“So he doesn’t already have security clearance.”

“No, sir, but there’s no one I trust more.”

“All right, I’ll see what I can do. You can go now.”

“Thank you sir, and if I might ask, who exactly is in charge?”

“General O’Neill.”


“Damn it Jack, what the hell were you thinking? Did you have a brain aneurism or something?”

They were back at home and Sam was not happy. Jack had chosen to break the news at dinner in front of their son, hoping that Sam would remain calm. But Sam had nicely asked Jacob to go study before turning and blowing up at her fiancé.

“Sam please, it was the only way the IOA would sign off on this, and it’s only temporary.”

“You said you were done. We’re trying to start a family here, Jack. What if you can’t get back?”

“The Apollo will be standing by to retrieve us.”

Sam scoffed, getting up from the table and going over to the window.

“Hey,” said Jack, getting up and going over to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she sank into his embrace. “It’ll be ok, I promise. You know me, I don’t like adventure.”

Sam laughed.

“I’m just going to make the stiffs at the IOA happy. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“You better,” she said, turning around to face him. “You’ve got ten years to make up for.”