The Other Sheppard von T L Kay

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Ok Katie, what are you really doing here?” John asked his sister back in his room. He had finally managed to shake off the last of his friends—meaning Rodney—out in the hallway. Elizabeth had gone off to speak with Dr. Jackson before he left, and Ronon and Teyla had their usual sparring match, but Rodney was impossible to get rid of. His curiosity was a problem sometimes.

“What am I really doing here? There’s no ulterior motive here John. I’m here because I want to be.”

“Don’t you have any idea how dangerous it is here?”

“Well, if it’s not too dangerous for you…”

“Katie…”

“Don’t start with me. I don’t want to hear it. I’m not a child anymore; I can take care of myself. And you need me here.”

John sighed. “Fine.”

“Fine? You’re just gonna let it drop?”

“Well, I don’t really have a choice now do I?”

Kate laughed. “No, you don’t.”

John sighed again. “So, what’s been going on in your life? How’s mom?”

“Mom’s good. She’s still in love with Paul for no reason that I can see.”

“Is Paul the reason you didn’t join the Air Force?”

“Yeah. You know I was only going to because of you and dad, but Paul was just getting irritating. When that thing happened with you he lost it, said that you should have been court-martialed, that they had gone easy on you. Every day he would rail against you, it was just too much. Finally I just couldn’t take it anymore. I blew up at him, told him that he could never hope to be half the soldier you are. I’m sure I said some other choice words to him and then I stormed away. I haven’t really spoken to him since. I try to talk to mom as much as I can, but I just can’t stand that guy.”

John was laughing. “I would have loved to be there to see you yell at him.”

“It was liberating.”

“I bet. So, working at the SGC with Dr. Jackson, how long’s that been going on?”

“Um…5 or so years now, but I didn’t start working with Dr. Jackson until 3 years ago, when he started training me as his replacement. Although, I didn’t know at the time that’s what he was doing. But then he couldn’t come here and I was already set up to have this kind of position, so here I am.”

“I really am happy to see you Katie.”

“I know. And if I were in your position I’d be worried too. I’ve read all about the Wraith, I don’t ever want to see one, but I think that I can handle myself if I do.”

“I’m sure you can.”

Kate walked over to her brother and gave him another hug. “I’m really glad that you’re here. I really missed you.”

John laughed again and hugged her back.

“So,” said Kate, stepping back, “can I get the tour, or do I have to ask McKay, who’s probably standing outside the door?”

There was a shuffling sound from the other side of the door as Rodney ran away, and Sheppard laughed.

“I can show you around. And if you’d like you can have a go flying one of the puddle jumpers.”

Kate’s face lit up with glee. “I like flying things.”

“Well then, after you.”