The Other Sheppard von T L Kay

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Bemerkung:

I have revised this a lot because i noticed inconsistencies between this one and the sequel. enjoy!
It was a normal day at Atlantis. Colonel Sheppard’s team was scheduled to return shortly and Dr. Weir was waiting anxiously. She had a surprise for the team that she couldn’t wait to give them. All of a sudden the gate activated and the shield went up.

“It’s Colonel Sheppard’s IDC ma’am,” someone said.

“Let them through,” she said, wondering why they were back early.

They strolled through the gate, Rodney and John bickering as usual. “Well, maybe if you hadn’t told them their religion was stupid, Rodney, they wouldn’t have kicked us out,” John was saying.

“I didn’t tell them it was stupid, I merely pointed out the fallacies in their faith,” Rodney shot back.

“Oh, big difference.”

“Are they always like this?” came a voice from next to Elizabeth. She jumped; she had forgotten that he was standing there.

“Dr. Jackson,” said McKay, turning away from Sheppard.
“What brings you here?”

“Ah, I just got in on the Daedalus. I was escorting a friend.”

“Oh, did we get new people, Elizabeth?”

“Yes. In fact that’s why I was waiting for you. I’d like you to come with me to meet your new team member.”

“I’m sorry, new team member?” said John. “Why do we need a new team member?”

“How about we discuss this on the way to the infirmary?” Elizabeth asked.

John nodded and the group headed away from the gate room. “Ok, so, why do we need someone new?”

“Well, as I’m sure you are all aware, none of you is exactly qualified to deal with anything archaeological. Not to mention the fact that between the four of you you only know a handful of Ancient.”

“Ok, so what,” said John. “This new guy is a specialist…”

“Girl,” murmured Daniel.

“I’m sorry?”

“Your new team member is a woman, not a man.”

“I meant guy in general. Anyway. I know nothing about her, what makes you think I’m going to let her on my team?”

“Excuse me?” said Elizabeth, part amused part angry.

“Elizabeth, he has a point,” said Rodney. “You made Ronon jump through all kinds of hoops before you’d let him join…”

“I didn’t mind.”

Rodney continued as if he hadn’t noticed the interruption. “Why are you so eager just to drop someone new into the mix?”

“I don't need any other reason other than that she is the close friend and protégée of Dr. Jackson.”

“Ok, that doesn't change the fact that we know nothing about her.” Rodney continued.

“She comes from a military family, she attended the Air Force Academy, but chose to pursue her doctorate rather than join the military. She got her PhD in archaeology and linguistics last year at the age of 27. She has been studying with Dr. Jackson for the past 5 years and is the foremost expert on Ancient next to Daniel himself. Isn’t that right Daniel?”

“Yep. I was training her to be my replacement at the SGC when I came to Atlantis, but things have come up, so she’s taking my place here instead.”

“She’s also a brilliant pilot, and she has the gene.”

“The Ancestor gene?” Teyla asked.

“Yes, and she’s got it very strong. Possibly stronger even than you John, and some interesting side effects to go with it.”

“Wait, what does that mean?” asked McKay. “What side effects?”

“Well, for starters, increased brain capacity. The doctors at the SGC theorized that the stronger the gene the more Ancient traits you inherit as well. Who knows what else she can do.”

Sheppard’s team was quiet for a moment, and then Rodney piped up again. “Is that all?”

“What more do you want Rodney? I’ve told you pretty much all that you need to know about her.”

“Oh, I don’t know. How about a name?”

Elizabeth smiled. “Well, we’re here now. Why don’t you ask her yourself?”

They walked through the entrance to the infirmary and looked around. There were a few occupants in the beds, but the person they sought was the one being inspected by Dr. Keller.

“All right. You’re good to go,” she was saying.

The young woman hopped down from the bed and turned to the group. There was a look of shock on Sheppard’s face, as well as on the woman’s.

“Johnny?” she said in almost a whisper.

Before John could speak she had thrown herself at him, hugging him tightly. When she finally pulled away she was looking at him as if looking at a dead man, and she had tears in her eyes.

The others were all staring at them in curiosity.

John ignored them, staring at the woman in front of him. “Katie, what the hell are you doing here?”

“Hasn’t anybody told you? I’m joining your team.”

“You’re the person Elizabeth has been talking about?”

“One and the same.”

“But I don’t get it, why didn’t you tell me you were coming?”

She frowned at him. “Tell you how? Johnny you practically dropped off the face of the earth after that Afghanistan stuff.” She looked around. "Make that literally."

“Katie…”

“No. I understand why you did at first, but it’s been what 5, 6 years? I think that’s enough time to ignore your loved ones.”

“Katie it wasn’t like that. Paul…”

“I know all about it John, but I never took you for a pushover.”

“Now that’s not fair, he was…adamant.”

Kate glared at him.

John opened his mouth to say something further, but Rodney got there ahead of him. “I’m sorry to interrupt what is most likely a beautiful reunion. I wouldn’t know seeing as we have no idea who you are. Who are you?”

Kate looked at John. “You haven’t told them? Why haven’t you told them John? Or are you gonna blame this on Paul too?”

John looked uncomfortable. “It’s complicated Katie. Why bring up something that’s going to lead to questions that I’m uncomfortable answering?”

Rodney was looking more and more interested. “This should be good,” he whispered.

“Oh, so that’s how this is going to be?” Kate asked sharply.

“Katie, you know how it’s been. You know I love you.”

“This just keeps getting better and better,” McKay whispered.

“Shut up McKay,” John said. “Or I’ll shut you up.”

“Shutting up now.”

“Look, it just never came up, ok Katie?”

Kate was looking daggers. “Maybe I’ll just leave, if you don’t want me here.” She grabbed her jacket from off the bed and headed for the door.

“Katherine Marie Sheppard, you stop right there,” he yelled after her.

Kate froze in the doorway; the others froze too, glancing from John to Kate. She turned around, a smile on her face.

“Well, that’s one way to tell them. Maybe you should fill in the gaps, though, before—McKay is it?—before McKay’s imagination runs away from him.”

“Hey.”

“Oh come on John, stop looking at me like I’m a child.”

“Well maybe if you didn’t act like one all the time…”

Kate sighed. She turned from John to the small crowd standing apart from them. She extended a hand. “Hello, I’m Kate Sheppard. I’m John’s baby sister.”