What Will Be Will Be von MurdocsAngel

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Okay, this is my first 'darker' story for Atlantis. I don't really know how good it's going to be...but I'm trying. If you don't like it, I'll take it down.

What Will Be Will Be

"Head over there," Doctor Rodney McKay ordered suddenly from his position behind the pilot's seat, pointing at the spot on the map, "I'm showing a significant power surge in that direction."

They had been circling the planet MP5-442 for the past hour looking for the rogue energy source. It would appear in a burst, they would get closer to it, and then it would disapear. Needless to say, the other members of the team were not happy campers.

"McKay," Major John Sheppard said, proud that his voice was still calmed, even through clenched teeth, "This is the last pass. If it goes this time...we're heading back to the Stargate."

Teyla and Lieutenant Ford both sighed with relief, but didn't say anything when the physicist gave them a withering glare. John smirked, but didn't say anything more either as he deftly flew the Jumper towards the area McKay had pointed out. His smirk slowly faded however, when he checked the map. They were even further from the 'gate than the last time the energy spike had occurred. It was almost as if something were...leading them on. Like a fish going after a worm on a hook.

The energy readout remained the same, and McKay began rambling on excitedly about all the possibilities it might afford them. John was thinking of possibilities too, only none of them were as benign as McKay's theories. If it was what he thought it was, then they were in trouble.

"Okay, we're heading back," he told them suddenly, "I don't like..."

He was interrupted as the ship was rocketted by something hitting it from below. "Damn it! That's what I thought. It's some kind of lure, and we've fallen for it."

He concentrated on getting the ship turned around, on getting them out of there, but another shot and the controls went offline, leaving him helpless except to try and guide the Jumper into as soft a landing as possible considering the circumstances. Unfortunately, the touchdown was nowhere near as smooth as he would have liked, and he could feel the ship coming apart as it crashed and skidded across the ground.

John braced himself as he was thrown forward into the panel in front of him, but only suceeded in breaking his arm. He cried out as the bones snapped, then bit his lip to keep the rest back in, cradling the arm with his good one. Debris fell all around him, thankfully missing him by inches, and the control panel sparked and fizzed, but didn't catch on fire.

Finally, the ship slid to a halt, and John, still cradling his arm, glanced around to see if his team was all right. Teyla looked bruised and battered, but okay. She was busy pulling debris off Ford, who had a nasty gash on his forehead. And McKay...was sitting in the same position he had been before the crash, perfectly fine, though his face was a gastly pale color.

John shook his head slightly and had to grin. "Everyone okay?"

"I am well," Teyla said softly, "But Lieutenant Ford requires immediate medical attention. I cannot get to the firs aid kit."

John's grin faded and he gazed at the younger man in concern. The gash was bleeding heavily, and it was possible the lieutenant could have a concussion. It was going to be slow going trying to get to the 'gate from here, with two bad injuries. As it was, it would take at least two weeks to walk there, and that was with stopping for a few hours a night for rest.

"I'm fine," Ford protested, "A little dizzy right now, but nothing too serious."

"Think you can walk out of here?"

"Yes sir," Ford immediately agreed.

"How about you, McKay?" John asked, "McKay? Hey! Wake up now, no time for daydreaming."

The scientist was still gazing off into nothingness, his face even paler. This time though, his lips were moving, as though he were talking to someone, or something. John frowned and, ignoring the pain the movement caused his arm, reached over the seat and lightly tapped McKay's face with his good hand.

Rodney shook his head and blinked rapidly before his eyes returned to focus on the people in the Jumper. "What? What's going...did we crash?"

John traded a look with Teyla before turning back to McKay. "Yes," he answered, "Are you hurt?"

McKay frowned and gave John a puzzled glance. "Hurt? No, but I thought I...I mean they said that..." He shook his head again. "No, I'm fine. No thanks to your fancy flying, that is. What are you trying to do, get us killed or something?"

But his words and tone were only half-hearted, as though he were trying to cover up what he'd been saying before. John traded another look with Teyla. "McKay, who are 'they'?" If his theories were correct, then they were in big trouble.

"I don't know. I just...heard voices is all. Look, it must have been the trauma of realizing I might be dying soon, nothing to get all worked up about."

"And if it isn't? Just the trauma of your hypochondria?" John shook his head, "Let's get started. Teyla, McKay, gather up whatever supplies you can get your hands on. We've got a long hike ahead of us."

"We're going to walk?" McKay sounded much more like himself now, "But that's...it's way too far!"

"McKay, if I'm right, then there is something out there that wanted us shot down here. I want to be as far away from this site as possible before they come looking. And in a defendable position." John winced as the slight movement from his turning to face McKay more fully jarred his broken arm.

Oh yeah. It was definitely going to be a long walk.