The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Carson tested the ropes binding his wrists wincing as the rope cut into his flesh.

“Stop that,” Lyle told him, “I may need you to fly this thing again.”

Carson glared at him before he settled his hands down again.

“You should get some sleep,” Lyle laughed slightly, “Tomorrow brings Pretenders and the end of an annoyance.”

“They will stop you,” Emily whispered from her seat.

Lyle rolled his eyes before he slapped her sharply across her cheek. Emily gave a cry as Carson tried to move to protect her. Lyle laughed at them and tossed the blanket around both of them, “Goodnight.”

Carson sighed in relief when Lyle closed the door; Emily rested her head against his shoulder. Lyle had tied them up so that their feet were bound together while Emily’s arm had been looped through his before their wrists had been tied.

“I’m sorry, Carson,” Emily whispered, “I didn’t want you involved in this; I didn’t want you to be in danger.”

“Don’t worry about it, Em,” Carson softly kissed her temple, “They’ll get us out of here.”

“You don’t understand,” Emily told him.

“Yes I do,” Carson replied, “I know Rodney and John well. I know that they will find us.”

Emily pulled the blanket around them as best she could not saying anything else; instead she rested against him closing her eyes to get some rest. Carson watched her hoping his trust in his friends was well placed.



“I don’t know if I can do it,” Rodney told John as he hobbled after his friend who was stalking towards the Jumper.

“You have to,” John replied sharply.

“You don’t understand,” Rodney cried.

John stopped so suddenly Rodney almost ran into him, “You don’t understand, Carson and Emily’s only real chance is you. Rodney, your gift will let us find them.”

“What if what happened last time happens again?” Rodney whispered fearfully.

John stared at him, “You’ve used it since then.”

“No,” Rodney licked his lips, “Sensing who’s nearby is completely different from actively searching for them. John, I don’t want to end up in that dark place again.”

“That’s why Jeannie’s coming as well,” John told him.

“What?”

“She’s family,” John explained starting to walk again, “She should be able to keep you grounded.”

“We’ve known each other just over a month,” Rodney called after him.

John waved his hand motioning Rodney to keep up.

“This is a bad idea,” Rodney murmured.



“Colonel,” Elizabeth frowned as he came marching into the Jumper Bay, “Do you at any time want to let me into your plan?”

“Teyla and Ronon search by land assisted by Lieutenant Jordan who’s flying them there,” John said as he entered the Jumper followed by Elizabeth, “I take Rodney, Parker and Starr by air.”

“With Jeannie?” Elizabeth demanded.

“She’s here to make sure Rodney is alright after his accident,” John replied as he fixed the Jumper for flight.

“I understand you two having been spending a lot of time together,” Elizabeth started making John stare at her.

“Are you seriously asking me if I have a thing,” he lowered his voice, “for McKay’s sister?” John demanded, glancing over to make sure Rodney wasn't nearby. He was thankfully talking to Jarod and Parker.

Elizabeth smiled at his discomfort, “It is allowed.”

“It’s not what you’re thinking,” John told her his brow furrowed, “Jeannie and Rodney have a few issues from their past, I’ve been letting her talk to me and let off steam.”

“Of course, Colonel,” Elizabeth nodded, “However I still don’t agree with her presence on this mission.”

“As military leader of Atlantis it is my decision how things like this are run,” John reminded her, looking back he saw Parker and Jarod entering the Jumper, “You guys ready?”

“Coming, Colonel,” Parker said following Jarod on board.

“Be careful, John,” Elizabeth told him sternly, “And bring them back.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” John nodded, “Tell Rodney to move his ass or I’m leaving without him.”

Elizabeth shook her head in annoyance before she headed out of the Jumper.



“You are sure about this?” Zelenka asked as he escorted Jeannie through the corridors.

Jeannie shrugged, “I have no idea. Radek, this thing Rodney’s going to do to find Carson and Emily is it dangerous?”

“I am unsure,” Zelenka admitted, “I have never seen this ability but from what I have been told it affects him negatively.”

“Negatively?” Jeannie cried.

“It is the only way I can describe it,” he told her, “John believes that you being there will keep him grounded. That is why you are going on this mission.”

“And here I thought John couldn’t live without me,” Jeannie laughed.

Zelenka laughed as well, “So the rumours go.”

Jeannie stopped dead, “Excuse me?”

“Many have noticed the amount of time you have spent around him since you came to Atlantis,” Zelenka explained.

“Did they happen to notice my brother was also there?” Jeannie snapped.

“What good would that be for the rumour mill?” Zelenka patted her shoulder continuing along the corridor.

Jeannie frowned and jogged to catch up with him. As they entered the Bay Zelenka broke off to speak with Rodney while Jeannie headed to the Jumper.

“Grab a seat,” John told her before turning back, “Rodney, will you get in here now?”

“I’m coming,” Rodney snapped, “Walking wounded remember.”

“Right,” John snorted, “Okay people let’s go. It’s getting dark and I want to find them before he has the light to get deeper into the forest.”

*********************************************

Carson pulled Emily closer in the strange hug they were in as she slept. She’d given in to exhaustion about an hour ago but even in her sleep she was still shaking.

“I understand why you left,” he whispered to her resting his cheek against her hair, “I know that it wasn’t what you wanted and I’m sorry I didn’t try to understand when I saw you again.” He stopped softly kissing the top of her head, “But you’ve got to remember how hard I’d fallen for you, Em how hurt I was when you disappeared on me.”

Carson stopped as she shifted against him, once she settled again he continued.

“I love you,” Carson murmured to her.

“That’s the second time you’ve told me that while you thought I was asleep,” Emily told him looking up at him.

“Em,” Carson gulped.

“I didn’t say anything the first time because I didn’t want to pull you any further into my world,” she explained.

“And now?” Carson asked nervously.

Emily settled against him again, “I love you too.”



“Okay, Rodney,” John said, making Rodney look over to him, “It’s your show.”

“I don’t know if I can do this, John,” Rodney whispered, fear filling his eyes.

Jeannie touched his shoulder, “You can do this.”

Her brother glanced up at her, “If I do this I could end up trapped in there again.”

“No,” Jeannie gripped his hand squeezing his shoulder with her other hand, “You won’t because I won’t let you.”

John smiled at her before turning to Rodney, “We need this.”

Rodney nodded and closed his eyes taking several deep breaths; John looked back to where Parker and Jarod sat.

“Focus on Carson,” Parker spoke up, her voice smooth and gentle, “Think of your friend, focus on his presence and find that nearby.”

Rodney opened his eyes; he yanked his hand out of Jeannie’s and took control of the jumper.

“I’m getting a reading on what looks like a Jumper,” John murmured, “Rodney give me back control and I’ll set us down somewhere safe.”

“I can fly this thing you know,” Rodney reminded him.

“Sorry,” John muttered sarcastically as the other three exchanged amused glances.



“Which way?” John asked as Rodney hobbled out after him.

“Eh…they’re that way,” Rodney murmured pointing, his brow furrowed against a headache.

“Rodney?” John cried, recognising the signs that he was being overwhelmed.

“What’s wrong?” Jeannie demanded at the fear in the three faces around her, “What is going on?”

“When we were kids actively searching for a mind meant he was connected to someone when they died. He retreated into himself for months,” Jarod explained missing out the details, “The second time he did this was when Parker and I came here last and he was catatonic for hours.”

Jeannie stared at them in shock before moving to her brother.

“Don’t touch him,” Parker and Jarod yelled together as Rodney was trying to focus on what was going on but losing.

“Why?” Jeannie demanded.

“It could harm him,” Jarod explained.

“What do you mean harm him?” Jeannie cried, “This isn’t exactly healthy for him.”

“Trust us,” Parker told her, “We’ve seen this happen to him before.”

“And you’re the experts,” Jeannie rolled her eyes, “So your advice is just sit and watch this happen to him?”

Jeannie spun and slapped Rodney hard across his face.

“What?” he looked up at them a little stunned, “It’s…gone and ow,” his hand came up to cradle his cheek.

“Sorry, Rodney,” she told him before turning to the others, “Tough love people,” Jeannie told them, “Let’s go.”

John stared after her stunned, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

*********************************************

Carson watched Lyle as he set up booby traps in the bushes around the Jumper surprised when Rodney appeared from nowhere.

“Hi,” he greeted them, “Sleep well?”

“Rodney, get us out of here,” Carson demanded not in the mood for small talk.

Rodney produced a knife and quickly cut through their bonds, “The others are waiting just past the trees. Go.”

“What about you?” Emily asked.

“Trust us,” Rodney replied, “Go.”

Carson grabbed Emily’s hand and they ran to where he could see John waving him forward. The moment they reached safety Jarod had his sister in a tight embrace and Carson turned back to watch Rodney…who was sitting in the pilot seat just waiting.

“What’s he doing?” Carson demanded.

“Something incredibly stupid,” Jeannie replied from where she stood chewing on her thumbnail, “Are you two okay?”

He nodded his attention riveted on his friend as Lyle returned to the ship.



“You’re a little far from home,” Rodney stated as Lyle entered the Jumper.

Lyle looked at him surprised, “Rodney? This is surprising.”

“This little stunt was stupid,” Rodney told him standing up so they were face to face, “Coming to Atlantis to begin with, abducting Carson and thinking you’re going to win this.”

Lyle laughed and swung smacking Rodney’s head against the Jumper hull.

“Guess what,” Lyle told him as Rodney lay dazed, “I will.”

“You mean we will,” Parker stated as she stalked in looking down on Rodney, “You know of the three of us he’s the only one who can fly this thing.”

“Parker?” Lyle looked at him confused.

“You didn’t think I was going to let you ruin this, did you?” Parker laughed pushing at Rodney’s shoulder with her foot, “I sent Jarod and that idiot Sheppard the other way so if we’re going to go we should go now.”

Lyle frowned at her, “Now why don’t I trust you sister dear?”

Parker rolled her eyes, “Check for yourself.”

Lyle pulled out his gun and eased his way out of the Jumper, as he moved away from it to check Parker hadn’t tried to set a trap for him he jumped when Parker stumbled out of the Jumper which slowly moved away from them.

“Damn him,” Parker snapped aiming her gun at the bushes.



“What’s going on?” Carson asked John.

“We’re springing a trap,” John replied, “I had to trust Rodney knew what he was doing. Which he obviously didn’t.”

“He’s going to be lucky not to have a concussion after that,” Carson noted his professional persona pushing through to deal with what had just happened.

“Rodney has amazing luck,” John pressed a gun into Carson’s hands, “Just keep your gun on them. Don’t fire, just hold it on them,” John told him before turning to the other Pretender, “Jarod it’s your show.”



Jarod passed Emily to Jeannie, “Stay here,” he told them before he marched out his gun aimed at Lyle.

“Jarod,” Lyle gave a feral smile. “You know I’m not even going to bother trying to talk to you about coming back to the Centre.”

“It’s a waste of breath,” Jarod shrugged, “So, Miss Parker? What about you?”

She glared at him as she realised what he was doing, this wasn't part of the plan.

“Jarod?” she growled.

“You can either follow your mother’s path and help me,” Jarod told her, “Or you can shoot me.”

“Don’t tempt me, Jarod,” Parker snapped.

“Time to choose, Parker,” Jarod told her.

From their hiding place Jeannie and Emily exchanged glances, “What the hell is he doing?”

Carson shrugged but John smiled, “Making her finally choose sides in a way she can’t wriggle out of.”

Parker stepped towards Jarod her gun aimed at his chest, she pressed the barrel against his heart before resting it on its side and stepping behind Jarod.

Lyle stared at her, “You’re dead,” he yelled, “When they find out at the Centre you’re dead Parker.”

“I’m getting out of the ‘Family Business’,” Parker replied.

Jarod grabbed Parker around her waist pulling her to the ground as Lyle started to fire. He let off several shots before running into the forest.



Jarod looked down at the woman lying below him, “Are you alright?”

“Would you get off me,” Parker snapped, pulling herself out of the dirt.

He let her up as John, Emily and Jeannie came running over. Emily grabbed her brother in a tight hug scolding him for doing something so incredibly stupid.

“You guys okay?” John asked.

“Fine,” Parker glared at Jarod who was trying to halt Emily’s angry diatribe.

“Rodney, get back here so we can all go home,” John called to his friend.

“Aren’t we going after Lyle?” Rodney asked over the radio as the Jumper came to land beside them.

“No, Rodney,” John replied, watching as the back of the ship opened up, “We’re going to get our lost lambs back to Atlantis and you to the infirmary because quite frankly you look like shit.”

“Thanks,” Rodney hobbled out, finding his sister at his side checking his bruises, “Carson can fly this thing home. My head feels like it’s going to explode.”

“Speaking of,” Jeannie said looking around, “Where is he?”

“Good point,” John turned to the other three, “Where’s Carson?”

Emily looked up from her argument with her brother worry filling her eyes, “Oh my God.”

The five of them looked around finding no sign of the Doctor.

“Rodney?” John asked.

“I can’t do it,” he said, “My head hurts so much I can’t focus on him.”

“Carson!!” John yelled, jogging back to where they’d been hiding he stopped and gasped, “Oh damn.”

“Did you find him?” Emily called joining him, she turned back, “Jarod!!!!!!!!” she yelled before dropping down where Carson lay unconscious blood pouring from the bullet wound in his shoulder.