The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Carson eased his way through the door of the conference hall, his bag almost getting stuck in the small space he’d used. Quietly he walked along the back of the auditorium looking for a seat. He saw what must have been the only empty one and quickly slipped into it.

As the man at the podium started speaking about the information packs Carson realised he’d forgotten to bring his with him.

“Here,” a gentle voice next to him made him turn, “We can share.”

Carson smiled at the woman, “Thanks, I’m having one of those days.”

“I can tell,” she replied just before the man in front of them shushed them.

They shared a grin quickly before Carson focussed on the conference, the actual reason he’d come back to Chicago two weeks earlier than planned.

Finally it was lunch. When it was announced and the lights came up Carson turned to thank the woman beside him finding his mouth go dry when he saw her properly, she was beautiful.

“I’m Emily,” she introduced herself with a smile.

“Carson,” he took her hand shaking it.

“I’m guessing you’re a Doctor,” Emily said as they started to walk to where they were getting lunch.

“I thought everyone here was one,” Carson laughed.

She shrugged, “I work for the Times. This is my first real assignment for our science section. What about you? Are you just in town for this? I’m just guessing from your accent.”

“No, I do actually live and work here,” Carson told her, “I was at home visiting my mother, my flight was delayed so I ended up running a wee bit late today.”

When they reached the buffet lunch they fetched their food whilst continuing to talk, Carson was entranced by her and didn’t want the break to end.

As they were called back for the afternoon session Carson caught Emily’s arm, “Do you want to have dinner tonight?”

Emily looked at him surprised and a cloud covered her eyes for a second before she smiled, “I’d love to.”

Carson smiled back, “Good.”




Carson headed through the corridors towards the infirmary annoyed at the interruption. He stopped hearing a cry coming from nearby; it was Emily.

“Em?” he called worriedly heading towards the sound.

“Carson,” Emily cried, “Get out of here.”

Carson saw a man gripping Emily’s arm as she struggled against him, when the man saw Carson he produced a gun and pressed it to Emily’s temple.

“Carson?” the man said thoughtfully, “Yes, Dr Carson Beckett. Don’t leave Dr.”

Carson shivered at the voice, “Who are you?”

“You can call me Mr Lyle,” Lyle introduced himself, “Now considering this new development I’m changing my plans. Forgive me if this takes a little time but I’m thinking on my feet just now.”

“Let her go,” Carson stated trying to sound a lot braver than he felt.

Lyle laughed pressing the gun tighter against Emily who winced; her eyes were wide with fear.

“From what I read you have the ancient gene meaning you can fly us somewhere else,” Lyle mused, “Disconnect your radio and lead me to the place with your ships.”

“Let her go and I’ll do whatever you want,” Carson tried, only to have Lyle laugh at him.

“Oh no, Emily here needs to see her brother die. Now move Dr,” Lyle told him.

**********************************************

“Are you okay?” John asked when he caught up with Jeannie just outside the commissary.

She turned to him, “I just needed a few moments. We were meant to be safe here John and now…I’d better get Rodney something to eat.”

John touched her shoulder, “You know you can talk to me if you want. Everyone needs someone to talk to.”

Jeannie smiled at him, “Thank you. I must admit it was a relief to find that there were other people on this place that knew what was going on. Having to pretend around absolutely everyone would have been too hard.”

John grinned and nudged her shoulder, “You’d better go get food before it’s all gone. His love of food is not a Pretend.”

Jeannie laughed, “Join us for lunch, John.”

He shook his head, “I have actual work to do. I’ll come back and rejoin you for dinner.”

Jeannie gave him a warm smile, “Good.”



“What do we do?” Rodney asked Jarod and Parker who were sitting on either side of his bed.

“I don’t know,” Parker admitted, “Lyle has been ordered to bring you home, Rodney and I have a feeling if you don’t agree to come he’ll kill you. However with Jarod and your sisters here…”

“We’re going to have to get us all together,” Jarod told them, “We have to find a way to stop this, to stop him.”

Parker raked her hand through her hair, “It’s worse than that. If I even appear to be helping you and he gets back to Earth then I’m dead.”

“We can’t just kill him,” Rodney reminded her.

Parker rolled her eyes, “I wasn't suggesting that. I know neither of you have the stomach for it,” Jarod frowned at her sarcasm, “I was thinking dump him on a planet the Wraith would be on.”

“Parker,” Rodney sighed, “There’s no way we could do it.”

Parker stood up stretching her legs, “The only other idea I have is to tell everyone and that won’t turn out good for either of you but especially you, Rodney.”

Jarod nodded, “Nor you.”

She shrugged pacing the small room.

“We need to stay together,” Jarod decided, “Wandering around the corridors we could easily run into him accidentally but if we’re all together then we have less chance of that.”

“He’s going to find out you’re here,” Parker reminded him.

“But this gives us some time,” Jarod replied.

“Time won’t help,” Parker snapped.

Jarod rolled his eyes, “It means I can plan something.”

“Could you two knock it off,” Rodney sighed, “I’m sore, I’m tired and I really don’t need you two yelling at each other.”

“Sorry, Rodney,” Jarod apologised quickly.

“You do look like hell,” Parker added.

Rodney gave a soft smile knowing this was the most apology he was getting from her.

“Let’s get everyone back here then decide what to do,” he said.

*********************************************

Carson wasn't sure how he was managing not to panic and start running but he kept his pace steady as they walked to the Jumper Bay. At his side walked Emily who had a gun pressed against her back by Lyle who was at her other side.

“Hey, Doc,” the marine at the Jumper Bay grinned at him.

“Lieutenant Tarrant,” Carson greeted him cordially, “I just received a message from the Athosians about a few injuries. I’m going to help.”

“No problem,” Tarrant grinned back at him, “You actually flying yourself?”

Carson hoped his shrug was nonchalant, “Colonel Sheppard keeps insisting I have more practice. I need to go; from what we were told this is urgent.”

As the three of them moved to the nearest Jumper Tarrant called him again.

“Lieutenant?” Carson asked.

“Where are your supplies?” the young man asked.

Carson opened his mouth to say something but before he could Lyle fired.

“No,” Carson cried but it was too late Tarrant was on the ground.

“Get in this thing,” Lyle told him.

“I have to help him,” Carson snapped, finding the gun aimed at his head.

“Do it now or Emily will find it hard to walk,” Lyle threatened, moving the gun to Emily’s leg.

“Okay,” Carson swallowed and slipped into the pilot’s seat, “You might want to sit down.”

“And why would that be?” Lyle asked annoyed.

“Because I’m a bloody awful pilot,” Carson replied.

Lyle shoved Emily onto a seat and sat across from her keeping the gun aimed at her as Carson opened the top of the bay and took the Jumper into the air.



“People keep looking at me as though I’m about to do something,” Jeannie mused as she walked with John her bodyguard back to her brother’s room carrying some food for lunch.

“You’ve got to remember that Rodney is not the most popular of people around here,” John replied with a grin, “He’s obnoxious, arrogant and an enormous pain in everyone’s ass so the fact that you’re actually nice confuses them.”

“But that’s just an act,” Jeannie shook her head.

“They don’t know that,” John reminded her, “He keeps up the act well.”

Jeannie shrugged, “I guess. Do you want to know what worries me more than anything?”

“What?” John asked conspiratorially.

“I’ve a feeling they think I’m exactly the same,” she said in a mock whisper.

John started to laugh, “Well since I’ve never seen you in the same situations as I see Rodney how can I be the judge.”

“If this is going to end with me in some sort of swimsuit you’ll regret it,” Jeannie teased.

John stopped looking her up and down, “A McKay in a swimsuit, thanks for those nightmares.”

“Hey,” Jeannie cried swatting him, “Oh you are so dead for that remark.”

John grinned, he knew he needed to lighten her mood and it looked like he’d managed it, “We’ll see if you manage,” he told her, “Come on, he’ll be complaining we’re trying to starve him if we don’t get food there.”



“Isn’t this dangerous?” Parker asked as Jarod stood leaning against the wall in her room.

“Probably,” he replied, “But I wanted to talk to you privately.”

She turned to him, “About?”

“What happens when you have to choose?” Jarod asked her, “When you’re faced between the choice of us or the Centre. Who are you going to choose?”

“You can’t ask me that?” Parker told him annoyed.

“Why not?” he snapped, “My life, Rodney’s life, Emily and Jeannie’s lives are on the line and you don’t know whose side you’re on?”

“I was sent here to do a job,” Parker snapped back.

“Then do it,” Jarod challenged.

“What?”

“Your job is to take Rodney back to Earth,” Jarod reminded her, “Then try it. But I will stop you as will Sheppard.”

“Jarod,” Parker’s voice was cold, “Don’t force this.”

“I have to,” he replied, “I need to know I won’t be facing your gun as well as Lyle’s.”

Parker glared at him, “Listen to me wonder-boy I can’t promise anything,” she sighed annoyed, “You know I’m stuck, Jarod.”

“Then I’m going to make sure you’re not forced to make that decision,” Jarod replied.

Parker moved to him raising her hands pressing them together at the wrist, “Are you going to tie me up?”

Jarod frowned at her, “I hate when you do that.”

She patted him on the cheek, “Let’s get back to Rodney’s room and see if we can work this out.”

*********************************************

Elizabeth sat in the briefing room wondering where Carson was. They’d been meant to meet for their weekly debriefing almost half an hour ago but there had been no word from him.

She knew he was slightly distracted at the moment by Emily, everyone had noticed it. And normally she would be happy about it but not when it started to interfere with his job.

“Dr Beckett,” she called over the radio, “Report.”

Silence greeted her making her frown so she went to her next option.

“Colonel Sheppard,” Elizabeth tried.

“Sheppard here,” his voice sounded in her ear.

“John have you seen Carson lately?” Elizabeth asked.

A pause followed before, “Not since this morning. Is something wrong?”

“He’s half an hour late for our weekly meeting,” Elizabeth explained, “And I haven’t been able to raise him on the radio.”

“I’m heading back to Rodney, I’ll see if he’s there,” John told her.

“Keep me informed,” Elizabeth ordered before breaking communications.

With an annoyed sigh she sat back in her chair, this was not like Carson at all.



“Is Carson here?” John asked walking into the room behind Jeannie.

Rodney shook his head smiling at his sister as she gave him his dinner, “I haven’t seen him. Why?”

“Elizabeth was looking for him,” John explained, “Something about a weekly meeting.”

“Their weekly debriefing,” Rodney nodded, “I’ve never known Carson to be late for that.”

“He was looking very cheery this morning,” John noted, “I’ve got a feeling he and Emily sorted out whatever was bothering them. Maybe he just lost track of time.”

Jeannie shrugged, “That’s possible.”

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” Rodney told them, “You have to find him.”

“I’ll go to his room and see if he’s there,” John promised, “Jeannie, stay here and if you don’t know who’s at the door don’t let them in.”

“Yes mother,” she rolled her eyes.

“I’m serious,” John snapped, “If this Lyle guy comes after Rodney like he’s here to and sees you…”

“I get the point,” she replied, “Go check on Carson.”



John jogged through the corridors trying not to overreact but considering Rodney was worried it wasn’t easy. He’d learned in the time since the secret had come out to trust Rodney’s feelings. They were always accurate which was why John speed doubled.

Reaching Carson’s room he opened the door not surprised but annoyed to find the room completely empty.

“Damn,” he muttered. He touched his radio, “I want to know if anyone has seen Dr Beckett in the last two hours.”

John stood there for several minutes before a voice came.

“I saw him heading to the infirmary about three hours ago,” someone told him.

“Thank you,” John murmured leaving the room and starting towards the infirmary.

He stopped at each corridor looking down to see if there was anything, finally on one he saw a glint. Walking towards it John felt his stomach clench as he saw a radio lying on the ground. Picking it up John knew that it belonged to Carson.

Before he could reach for his radio the alarms sounded through the base.

“Medical emergency in Jumper Bay,” someone called, “Medical Emergency in Jumper Bay.”

“Shit,” John snapped, starting to run praying that it wasn’t Carson who was hurt.



Emily couldn’t stop shaking as Lyle ordered Carson to head further away from the settlement. She was terrified that once they reached wherever Lyle was taking them then there would be no more need for Carson and Lyle would dispose of him.

She was shaking uncontrollably but she didn’t want to make a sound in case she distracted Carson. He didn’t like flying normally Emily knew this, doing this had to be terrifying him.

“Over there,” Lyle noted, “That’s the perfect spot.”

“Then what?” Emily demanded her voice shaking.

Lyle smiled, “We wait for your brother to play the hero.”

“You know if you hurt him the others in Atlantis won’t let you get away,” Emily stated, “He’s their Chief Medical Officer.”

“How touching,” Lyle sneered, “Don’t worry, Emily. As long as you both do as you’re told you’ll both be fine.”

Carson took a deep breath, “You’d better sit down I’m going to try land now.”

“No accidents,” Lyle told him, “Or she has one.”

Carson nodded glancing back at Emily who gave him an encouraging nod.

“Here goes,” Carson mumbled starting the Jumper’s descent.



“I want to know what happened here,” Elizabeth snapped as she looked around the Jumper bay, “And I want Carson found.”

“Working on it,” John told her.

“I also want to know if anyone else is missing,” Elizabeth continued.

“Yes Ma’am,” John nodded.

“I don’t care what you have to do, John,” Elizabeth said, “Get me answers; you have every resource you need.”

“I’ll find him,” John promised her.

The only good thing about this was he knew exactly how to do that.