Returning Home von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
On every posting Laura Cadman had she found a group of friends and either started a poker night or something similar where they could relax forgetting about the stress of their job. As this particular posting meant her friends included several geniuses and one self-confessed card-counter the poker game was vetoed instantly. Instead movie night was instigated.

“Tell me you brought chocolate?” Laura demanded as the door slid open.

Alisa rolled her eyes, “Who do you think you’re talking to? Of course I did. My father’s coming isn’t he?”

Laura chuckled, “Yes, the esteemed Rodney McKay told me he will be honouring us with his presence tonight.”

“Good,” the younger woman smiled, “He needs to relax a bit.”

“Your father needs to relax a lot,” Laura replied with a smile, “I’ve never met someone wound so tight.”

Alisa laughed, “You know when I was a kid anytime I was sad, he’d make me laugh by doing silly voices or singing silly songs. I’m not sure if this version knows how to do that but you never know.”

Laura pursed her lips in thought wondering how she could make Rodney McKay really let loose.


“What idiotic entertainment are we being subjected to tonight?” Rodney asked as he and John walked into Laura’s room.

“Stop complaining,” Laura called, “We let Ronon pick it.”

“Oh God,” Rodney muttered, “Conan is in charge of movie night.”

John laughed picking up the DVD, “Cool.”

“What?” Rodney demanded.

“Indiana Jones,” John replied, “Even you have to like these.”

Rodney frowned at his friend refusing to answer.

“He loves them,” Alisa spoke up as she set drinks on the table, “Don’t you.”

Rodney stared at her, “How…”

“The other you did,” she smiled, “I doubt you’re any different.”

Rodney rolled his eyes again and took his seat, “That’s cheating, Lissa.”

“I know.”

The others laughed, Laura moving to answer the door hoping the rest of the group would be there so they could start watching the movie.


Rodney sat watching Alisa and JD jostle for position on the cushions Laura had placed on the floor. A few years ago he would never have thought about coming to something like this, then again he would never have been invited a few years ago. Looking around the room he smiled slightly to himself as he looked at his friends, he could never understand why they cared about him but he didn’t want to probe too much into that question. What he really didn’t understand was Alisa. How his alternate had managed to raise a child into the incredibly brilliant, sweet woman sitting before him was a mystery. Alisa loved him and no matter what he had done, she didn’t care because he was always her father.

It was the oddest sensation.

Leaning back he decided to enjoy the movie and being surrounded by a group of people who for some bizarre reason didn’t hate his guts.

*********************************************

Alisa jogged through the corridors of the city to the Gateroom.

“Lissa,” Rodney called her from his spot in the control room, “Come look at this.”

Reaching her father Alisa leaned over his shoulder, “It’s a signal.”

“I had worked that one out,” Rodney told her.

Alisa rolled her eyes, “So, what do you want from me?”

“See what you can find out about it,” he replied, “I’m working on the source.”

Taking a seat Alisa started trying every possible decryption code she knew to get the message. Suddenly the signal disappeared and a message popped up.

“Dad,” Alisa called, “Do you know what this means?”

Rodney looked over at her screen and frowned, “No. We need to get one of the linguists in here.”

“No, you don’t,” JD spoke up surprising both members of the McKay family as neither had realised he was there.

“You know what this means, Colonel?” Rodney demanded.

JD sighed, “Its Abydonian. It says – ‘The light is fading in the grey.’”

“Abydonian?” Rodney asked, “Then it’s…”

“It’s a message for Daniel,” JD replied with an annoyed look, “And I bet the moment he hears he’ll be on his way here.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Alisa asked, “He is your friend.”

JD clapped her on the shoulder, “And he’s more trouble than you. All I need is two natural disasters walking around this galaxy.”


JD stood on the balcony near his quarters staring out at the clouds floating in the sky. Woolsey was sending the message to the SGC and Daniel, meaning his friend would be making an appearance very soon.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to see his friend, JD missed Daniel but Daniel would bring the reality of his situation on him again that he was not who he used to be. As much as JD loved being on Atlantis there were days he wished he could have continued living his original life.

“Hey,” Alisa appeared, “Are you sulking?”

“And why would I be sulking?” JD demanded annoyed.

She shrugged, “You just look like you’re in a huff.”

JD rolled his eyes, “I’m just thinking, I’m allowed to do that you know.”

“Really?” she gave him a wide-eyed look, “I honestly didn’t think the military were allowed to use their brains.”

“What do you want?” JD demanded annoyed.

Alisa chuckled, “You’re wanted in the control room but since you’ve taken out your radio I volunteered to come get you. The other you is calling.”


“And you’re sure about this?” Jack asked.

JD rolled his eyes, “We both know we can recognise Abydonian and that message is in Abydonian meaning it’s for Daniel.”

“I said that,” Daniel’s annoyed voice came from the background.

Jack let out a long sigh, “And you’re sure this is genuine?”

“McKay,” JD snapped motioning the scientist to back him up.

Rodney moved into view, “General, the message is genuine. We’ve traced it back to a planet that we’ve already been to several times.”

“See?” JD replied annoyed, “Jack, just let him off the leash and through the Gate. I’m you so I know how to care for wandering archaeologists.”

“Hey,” Daniel’s indignant cry made Alisa and Rodney chuckle softly.

Jack let out a sigh glancing back before turning to JD, “Alright, expect him in a few hours.”

As the screen blinked out JD let out an annoyed sigh, he forgot how stubborn he could be sometimes.

*********************************************

Alisa stood at JD’s side as they watched the Gate dial.

“Why are you so happy?” JD asked as she smiled at him.

“Are you kidding,” she teased, “I have a list of things to ask Daniel about how to annoy you. It could take days to get all my answers.”

JD glared at her even more annoyed as she blithely smiled at him and he wondered when he stopped being able to intimidate people. He was distracted as the Gate burst open and the shield was removed, JD couldn’t stop the smile that touched his face as his friend walked onto Atlantis.

“So,” Daniel smiled at them, “I hear you’ve got a message for me.”

JD nodded, “Come on. The other McKay is waiting to explain to you.”

As he turned and started towards the conference room Daniel grinned at Alisa offering her his arm. She chuckled as she started walking with their visitor. She’d known Daniel briefly in the world she’d come from but this version of the archaeologist had spent some time with her prior to her return to Atlantis and she was grateful to him for it.


A knock on the door to the small room she was using in the SGC made Alisa grimace; she really didn’t want to talk to anyone right now. Alisa had changed in the past five years. The cheerful, optimistic eighteen year old was destroyed the moment she was sent away from her home as well as everyone she knew and loved. Her hair was now dark brown; she’d done this deliberately as she tried to hide away because that’s what they’d wanted.

The knock came again.

“Yes?”

The door opened and Daniel Jackson appeared, “Hi. It’s almost time to go. Dr Bonner? Or do you prefer something else?”

“They won’t let me use my real name,” Alisa sighed sadly before grabbing her pack off the bed, “But Alisa is fine. We should go, Daniel.” At his amazed look she chuckled wryly, “I do...did know you.”

Interest filled Daniel’s eyes, “Really?”

“We talked for a while when we returned to Earth after the Daedalus saved us, you thought you might be joining us,” Alisa explained, “And when you came to Atlantis to find a way to get rid of the Ori I showed you around the city,” she paused smiling slightly as she thought back, “You said I reminded you of your wife,” at his sad look Alisa winced realising she’d once more put her foot in her mouth, “Sorry.”

“No,” Daniel shrugged, “Don’t worry about it. Are you ready?”

Alisa shook her head, “No.”

“I know how much Alternate Universes’ suck,” Daniel told her, “But you’re not safe here while those people are looking for you,” he waited for a few seconds, “So, are you ready?”

Alisa straightened her shoulders and nodded before she walked out the room with him.


It had been five years since she’d been here and Alisa had never forgotten how beautiful the open Stargate was. Daniel stood at her side, he seemed to be watching over her until she left for Atlantis, while the other new recruits heading to join Atlantis milled around.

“It’s time to go,” Daniel told her softly.

Alisa turned to him, “I’m scared.”

“Of what?”

“I don’t know,” her blue eyes pleaded with him to do something to make it better, “I just don’t know.”

“It’s for the best,” Daniel reminded her, “And you’ll finally be back where you belong, Alisa. I’m never going to get that opportunity, to return to the place I love and the family I once had but you can. So, remember who you are,” he lowered his voice so no one else would overhear, “You’re Alisa McKay. You’ve inherited your father’s brains, his acid tongue and nothing is going to stop you. Okay?”

“Okay,” Alisa nodded steeling herself, “Thank you, Daniel. Look after yourself.”

Daniel squeezed her arm comfortingly, “You too.”

Giving him a smile, Alisa walked through the Stargate to Atlantis.

The familiar rush took Alisa’s breath away and suddenly, after so many years she was home again.

Alisa McKay had returned home to Atlantis.



Daniel looked over the message several times, his face unreadable before he looked up at Rodney.

“Do you know where it came from?”

Rodney nodded, “It’s a planet we’ve visited several times. The Stargate sits in an oasis that’s nice to look at but has no value whatsoever to anyone.”

“What’s beyond the oasis?” Daniel asked.

“Sand,” John replied, “Lots of it. And very vicious sandstorms. We flew a Jumper over it when we initially found the planet but there was nothing there.”

Daniel grimaced glancing over to JD, “It’s too much of a coincidence. Don’t you think?”

JD nodded, “As soon as you’re ready Woolsey has said we can go see who is calling you.”

Alisa suddenly tapped the table and snapped her fingers, “And I can come on this trip.”

Rodney, John, JD and Daniel turned to her confused.

“How do you work that one out?” JD demanded.

Alisa smirked at them, “Because this is a planet that has been visited already and those are the rules – remember?”

JD groaned, “Two McKays, one Daniel. This is just going to be one long horrible mission.”

*********************************************

“Hey,” Laura slid into the seat on the Jumper behind Rodney as he glanced back at her for second before returning to his work without either greeting or insult she frowned, “What’s wrong?”

Rodney frowned at her, “Why do you think something is wrong?”

She leaned on his shoulder, “Because you’re not talking.”

“I know,” Rodney replied sharply.

Laura frowned confused, “Know what?”

“You could have told us you were leaving Atlantis,” he said turning to look at her, “I shouldn’t have found out by a communication from Earth.”

“Rodney, I’m away for a month to go to a friend’s wedding and see my family,” she replied with a roll of her eyes, “I’m not abandoning you.”

“Then why didn’t you tell us?” he demanded, “Why did I find out the way I did?”

Laura sighed, “I was going to tell you guys but it’s not an easy thing to do. Lissa counts on me to talk to and well…you’re not exactly easy to talk to at times either.”

“What?”

“Rodney,” Laura rested her chin on his shoulder, “I will be back before you know it and you won’t even miss me.”

He turned to her for a second, “Yes I will.”


“So are we going?” Alisa asked as she and John walked into the small ship.

“We’re just waiting for Daniel and Tyler to get here,” Rodney replied waving her to sit down.

Alisa frowned slightly as she dropped into the seat beside Laura, “Is he okay?”

Laura sighed, “Your father is a strange man, Lissa. There are days I’m sure he doesn’t know how he feels.”

Alisa frowned again as Laura moved away from her, everyone was just a little bit weird today. Looking up at John he just shrugged before sliding into the pilot’s chair and starting his pre-flight checks.

“Dad,” Alisa got his attention, “As much as I’m looking forward to going on this field-trip, I wanted to ask you about the proposal I put forward.”

“Not now, Alisa,” Rodney told her, “I’m not sure about it just yet. I’ll let you know.”

“But…”

“Alisa,” Rodney cut her off, “Could you let me focus on this and when we get back I’ll give you an answer.”

Alisa nodded, smiling as she turned back to her own station.


“So,” Daniel asked as he and JD walked towards the Jumper Bay, “How are you doing here?”

JD chuckled, “It’s good. I’m back out in the field with a team and still keeping watch over a smart-assed genius kid.”

Daniel rolled his eyes, “I was never that young.”

“But you were just as smart-ass,” JD shot back.

The two men grinned at one another.

“How’s the other me?” JD asked, “Enjoying the life of a General?”

Daniel shrugged, “You know he hates it but he stays because someone has to watch over the SGC and makes sure the teams have a voice.”

“What about you?” JD continued, “Anything else I should know? Got yourself a life by any chance? Are you seeing anyone?”

Daniel shook his head, “I’ve tried every so often but every time I start thinking about Sha’re and how perfect she was for me…”

“Okay,” JD cut his friend off recognising the maudlin conversation they were heading towards. He always found it sad how his friend couldn’t let go of the past but Daniel seemed to live there both in his personal and professional life, “We better move or McKay will complain about holding up the mission.”

“Which one?” Daniel smiled amused.

“Both.”

*********************************************

Daniel leaned on the seat looking down on the sandy planet they were flying over with a slight smile. It looked so much like Abydos that he could almost see the people bustling across the sand, the children playing and his brother-in-law with his group of friends causing chaos. Oma had ascended the people he’d loved and Daniel was hoping the mission would reveal someone he had known back then had sent the message that it wasn’t some kind of trick.

Glancing to his side he saw Alisa sitting at her station scanning the planet below, he liked her although he did guiltily agree with the restrictions the IOA had placed on her off-world activities. Jack…JD obviously cared a great deal for her which Daniel was pleased about, he knew from firsthand experience the comfort of having him as a surrogate big brother and was enjoying watching the young woman challenge him the way Daniel would.

“What’s that?” Sheppard’s voice drew Daniel out of his musings.

Joining everyone in looking at the display he frowned, “A localised sandstorm.”

“Localised is right,” Alisa spoke up, “It’s only taking over a very small space. This is…”

“Familiar,” JD cut in, “Daniel, I have an idea who’s waiting for us.”

Daniel let out of a soft breath, he wasn’t sure if he wanted JD’s assumption to be right or not. It had been a long time and it would be a harsh reminder of his past but then again getting to see him again would be wonderful.


John gently set the Jumper down near the Stargate away from the strange storm, he, Laura and JD all took up position in front of the three scientists. When they left the Jumper John watched their visitor as he walked forward towards the small whirlwind.

Daniel stared at it for a few moments before he smiled, “Hello, Shifu.”

The whirlwind died down and solidified into a man, he appeared to be in his early twenties, tall with jet black hair and brown eyes. His serious demeanour changed within the instant he came face to face with Daniel as a shy smile spread across his handsome face.

“Hello, Father.”

“What?” Laura, Rodney, John and Alisa cried in unison.

They received no answer as Daniel embraced the younger man while JD smiled from the sidelines.


“Grandfather and I spoke for several days about allowing me to come here,” Shifu explained to Daniel as they sat on the stairs leading to the Stargate while the others gave them some privacy, “He was unsure that I should return to human form.”

“Why have you?” Daniel asked softly with concern.

Shifu smiled, “Because I wanted to spend time with you. You are my father…at least…”

“I am,” Daniel told him a little more sharply than he meant to, letting out a soft sigh Daniel rested his hand on Shifu’s shoulder, “Your mother placed you into my safety and even if she hadn’t then you are the son of the woman I loved more than anything in the universe. I’m honoured to be your father.”

“Then can I stay with you?” Shifu asked hopefully, “Learn from you?”

Daniel wrapped his arm around his son’s shoulders, “I would love it. You’ve always had a home with me.”

A smile spread across Shifu’s face as he sat basking in his father’s affection.

*********************************************

The ride back to Atlantis was quiet; Daniel sat with his son talking in the back of the Jumper while the others stayed in the front section giving them some privacy. When the ship settled in the Bay Daniel held back as JD escorted Shifu to the infirmary along with the others so he could talk to Rodney.

“Problems?” Rodney asked a little confused as Daniel caught his arm to hold him back.

“How did you do it?” Daniel sighed.

Rodney frowned, “Do what?”

“Deal with having an adult child in your life suddenly,” Daniel explained, “I mean Alisa appeared in your life with no warning. How did you fit her in?”

Rodney shrugged, “She just pushed herself in and she fit. You have to have expected this to happen at some point, you at least knew Shifu existed.”

Daniel let out a sigh, “I guess I never thought about it. We’ve decided to stick around here for a while and let Shifu get used to being human for a while before I take him to Earth.”

Rodney nodded, “Makes sense. Lissa knows the difficulties of arriving suddenly in a different world. Get him to talk to her.”

Daniel smiled, “Thanks. We should probably head for the infirmary.”

“You’re right,” Rodney chuckled, “Carson will hunt us down and then we’ll have to listen to a lecture on proper procedure.”


Shifu walked through the corridors of Atlantis trying to get used to limitations of the mortal form he had now. However he had no regrets about his decision, he’d been thinking about it for a long time, ever since he’d visited Daniel the first time and although it was not exactly an idea the others had been in complete agreement with Shifu, they had finally agreed to let him return to spend time with the man he called Father.

Glancing to his side Shifu saw the cloned version of Jack O’Neill and the daughter of Dr McKay from another universe talking generally. He was hoping that they would be able to help him learn the correct way of doing things before returning to Earth.

“So, how long are you here for?” O’Neill…no JD asked, the tone in his voice reminded Shifu that he was recalling the events of Shifu’s last visit.

“I do not know,” Shifu said, “The others have told me I will be allowed to stay for a short time only but their idea of short is vague. It could mean next week or ten years for now.”

Alisa chuckled, “Nice to know.”

*********************************************

Alisa wandered through the corridors of the city bored. Her latest experiment was something she didn’t need to sit and watch over but unfortunately Laura who she’d normally go see was away home.

When she stopped at her favourite balcony she was surprised to find Shifu sitting there. He’d been here for two weeks getting used to his new mortal form and the Jackson family were due to leave the city in two days.

“Can I join you?” Alisa asked softly stepping out on the balcony.

Shifu looked up at her and she saw confusion in his eyes, “Please.”

Settling at his side Alisa let out a long sigh, “It’s beautiful here, in the city.”

“I find it so unusual,” the man admitted as he slowly waved his hand across his face, “The sensation of the air on my skin. Did you know that technically I am only a teenager?”

“Technically I’m three and a half,” Alisa replied with a chuckle.

“But your life here began at eighteen,” Shifu countered, “I was born less than fifteen years ago.”

“Touché,” Alisa nodded, “So, are you feeling sorry for yourself or what?”

Shifu sighed softly, “I am wondering whether or not it was a good idea to come here. I have forced my presence within Daniel’s life.”

“He seems pretty happy to have you here.”

“My mother died the year after I was born,” Shifu explained, “After Daniel gave me to Oma I visited him only once. I made him so sad; I brought back horrible memories for him.”

“So why come here now?” Alisa challenged.

Shifu closed his eyes and leaned back against the wall, “Because I want to know him. I want him to know me and to be proud of who I am.”

Alisa reached out and took his hand in hers, “From what I’ve seen, Daniel is happy to have you here. I know how hard this is. I know what it’s like to try to find your place with someone you think of as your father who has never had you in their life before. But it can happen – look at me and my dad.”

Shifu smiled at her before glancing down at their entwined hands, “Thank you, Alisa. For everything.”

“Anytime you need to talk,” Alisa told him, “I’m happy to.”

Shifu nodded and they sat together in companionable silence watching the clouds float through the sky.