Returning Home von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Warnings: Flashback sequences ahoy.
Enjoy.
“Well aren’t you cheery,” JD noted as he met a bouncing Alisa just outside the infirmary.

“I’m getting out of this rat-trap today,” she smiled, “Finally.”

JD chuckled; it was nice to see her animated again. After being grounded by the IOA visitor that no one dared mention, Alisa had been petulant and irritated almost constantly, driving everyone else to distraction.

“It’s a trip to the planet of the boring people who think meditating is too stressful,” JD reminded her, “Not exactly the great escape.”

“I’m not in my lab watching you three go off with my replacement,” Alisa said before sticking her tongue out at him.

JD chuckled and wrapped his arm around her shoulders guiding her into the infirmary, he knew how annoyed she was especially when watching him, Cadman and Ballard leave with Dr Kindle. As they entered the room JD was surprised that Keller was nowhere to be seen, the surprised gasp from his side made him turn to look at the man walking towards them.

“Carson?” Alisa let out a surprised squeal.

JD smiled as he recognised Carson Beckett walking towards them who stopped a little stunned as Alisa suddenly wrapped her arms around him in a tight embrace.

“It’s so good to see you,” the young woman said, “But I thought...” she trailed off as she realised the strange look she was being given. Alisa sighed, “You have no idea who I am, do you?”

“Afraid not,” Carson replied.

“Lissa,” Rodney arrived, skidding to a halt, “I tried to get here before you saw him.”

JD bit his lip amused as he watched the three in front of him, worry covered Alisa’s face while Carson just looked bemused.

“Carson, I want you to meet Dr Alisa McKay,” Rodney smiled resting his hand on her shoulder, “My daughter.”

“Your what?” Carson stared at the two of them in amazement.

“I take it you’re not the Carson I met when I got here,” Alisa noted.

Carson shrugged, “I’m a clone.”

“So am I,” Alisa shrugged before waving at JD, “So is he.”

“Alisa!” JD and Rodney cried.

“I’m a little confused,” Carson said before laughing, “But then again Rodney, around you that’s nothing new.”

“How about I explain while you give these two their pre-mission medical?” Rodney suggested.

Carson nodded still looking bemused, “That’s a good idea.”

*********************************************

“She scratched her hand on what looked like a thorn,” JD reported as he ran beside Carson and the gurney carrying an unconscious Alisa, “She took a few steps then collapsed. Ellis and I got her back here as fast as we could. Cadman and Ballard are getting samples of the stuff from the locals”

“How long has she been unconscious would you say?” Carson asked as he helped guide the team through the infirmary.

“Half an hour at most,” JD called as he was stopped by one of the nurses and Alisa was hidden from his view.

JD sighed, pushing his hand through his hair wondering how long it would be before everyone arrived. He couldn’t believe he’d been so stupid, he couldn’t believe he’d let this happen. But it was just a flower, a flower on a planet that had been deemed safe because that was the only reason they’d let her go.

“What happened?”

At Rodney’s demand, JD took a deep breath and steeled himself for telling the scientist what had happened to his daughter.


Carson frowned as he watched his friend sitting silently staring at the young woman who was unconscious on the bed. He’d never seen Rodney so still.

“Hey.”

Carson turned in surprise at the voice smiling to see Laura standing there; she gave him a sad smile before they hugged quickly.

“How’s she doing?” Laura asked nodding over to Alisa.

Carson shook his head, “There’s nothing else I can do. We just have to wait for her to wake up and see how she is.”

“Then she’ll pull through,” Laura said certainly, “Alisa is strong. She had to be.”

Carson looked at her confused, “You know Rodney gave me a brief explanation but not exactly the full story of where she came from.”

“Me either,” Laura told him, “So let’s ask.”

“Laura...”

“He needs to focus on something,” Laura reminded him, “And if he tells us this then he’ll be out of his head for at least a while.”

Carson smiled at her, “You and Rodney are the most non-couple I’ve ever met.”

Laura stared at him confused, “What exactly is a non-couple?”

Carson chuckled, “According to my niece, its two people who aren’t a couple but at certain times appear to be.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Laura tossed her hair and headed over to where Rodney was sitting.


“This isn’t your fault,” Laura said as she sat on the bed behind Rodney, gently rubbing his shoulder, “So stop torturing yourself. It was an accident.”

“I was the one who authorised her going on the mission,” Rodney snapped.

“Along with Woolsey,” Laura replied calmly, “I was with her, so was Tyler, so was Ballard. Do you blame us?”

He turned to her a slight sneer on his face before it melted away, “I hate you, Cadman. You know that?”

“I know,” she wrapped her arm around his shoulders.

When Carson walked over to join them Laura leaned into Rodney, “Tell us the full story.”

Rodney frowned confused, “What full story?”

“Of how she came into your life and changed you from the scientist we used to know to the father sitting by his daughter’s bedside,” Laura explained.

Rodney grimaced, he looked at his daughter’s pale face before him before nodding, “Okay. A few years ago Lorne and his team were doing some training exercises...”

*********************************************

“Run!!”

The sharp order from the marine spurred the young woman into motion. Without a glance back, she ran along the corridor towards the closest transporter. The sharp noise of gunfire made her shudder but she didn’t slow down. She had to reach a transporter then she could get back to the Control Room and send reinforcements.

The gunfire stopped suddenly, she shuddered uncontrollably at the bloodcurdling scream that followed. Stopping for a quick breath, she screamed as the Wraith soldier appeared behind her and she scrambled to run again.

Her legs ached as she continued to run deeper into the city than she’d ever been, deeper than had even been explored. Ducking into a room, she stared as she looked at a large stone column that seemed to show a reflection of the room she was standing in, except she wasn’t reflected. She turned back to try and leave again hoping there was a transporter close by but before she even took a step forward the Wraith entered the room. Shaking uncontrollably, she backed away silently praying for someone to arrive and save her. Stumbling back, she fell. An electric shock went through her body as she fell back onto the floor. Looking up, she was astonished to see the Wraith standing in a completely different room. Without stopping to contemplate why, she started to run again.

Relief filled her as a familiar face appeared in front of her.

“Lorne!” she yelled relieved, crying out as the Wraith stunner hit her back. She heard the order to shoot moments before she slipped into unconsciousness.


Alisa sighed, she was in the infirmary. Holding up her hand, she shuddered in relief that her skin was normal and the Wraith hadn’t got her.

“Hello there,” Carson’s distinctive voice made her look round to find the doctor standing above her.

“Hey, Carson,” Alisa smiled at her friend, confused when he looked puzzled, “What’s wrong?”

He continued to stare at her, “I need you to answer a few questions.”

“Oh-kay.”

“Name?” Carson asked.

“You’re not serious?” she stared at him.

Carson frowned at her, “Humour me.”

“Alisa,” she replied, sarcasm filling her voice.

Carson scribbled it down, “I need your full name.”

“Carson, this is getting beyond a joke,” Alisa snapped, she glanced around the room, “Where’s my dad?”

“Your…dad?” Carson asked, confusion covering his face.

Alisa covered her face with her hands, raking her hands through her hair, “Have I slipped into the damn ‘Twilight Zone’?” she yelled, “What the hell is going on here?”

“I need your full name,” Carson repeated calmly.

“Fine,” she threw her hands in the air, “My name is Alisa Jennifer McKay.”


Elizabeth sat reading the file Carson had given her; she glanced up at where the doctor sat beside John and Rodney, who were both waiting to find out what the file said.

“She says Rodney is her father?” Elizabeth looked up at the three men.

“Nonsense,” Rodney snapped.

“It may seem like that,” Carson replied, sitting back rubbing the bridge of his nose, “But from what she’s told me so far, she believes you’re her father.”

“Interesting,” John grinned as Rodney glared at him.

“Trust me,” Rodney turned back to the doctor, “I don’t have a kid.”

Carson shrugged, “Even still, I think you should come and see Alisa, she is quite…”

“What did you say?” Rodney cut him off.

“That you should come and see her,” Carson looked confused.

“Her name, Carson,” Rodney snapped his fingers impatiently.

“Alisa. She gave her full name as Alisa Jennifer McKay,” Carson repeated, shocked as Rodney leaned forward placing his face in his hands, “Are you alright, Rodney?”

“She’s from an Alternate Universe,” he mumbled through his hands, “She’s about eighteen, right?”

The other three all shared a confused look.

“That’s right,” Carson told him, “How do you know that?”

“Because,” Rodney stood up, “That’s how long ago my baby was killed.”

No one was able to say anything as they all watched Rodney leave the room.


“Hey,” John said as he stood in the doorway of Rodney’s lab, “Want to tell me?”

“The fact I’ve been ignoring you since you got here,” Rodney replied without glancing up, “Should let you know that I don’t.”

“Look, Rodney,” John moved and pulled over a stool, he perched on it and tried to catch his friend’s eye, “I can understand this is painful as hell for you but there is a kid in the infirmary who believes you’re her father.”

Rodney looked up at him, “I’m not.”

“Rodney…”

“You have no idea what I’m feeling, John,” Rodney cut him off, “So, just go away.”

John sighed; he started to leave when he heard Rodney sigh.

“It was my fault,” the scientist said.

John turned back, staying silent for the moment.

“I was supposed to pick Lis up from her hospital appointment,” Rodney continued, he was looking at the bench, his voice so soft John had to strain to hear, “I was running late, so she caught a cab.”

“Car crash,” John guessed.

Rodney finally looked up at him and John saw the despair in his eyes, “I got to the hospital the same time as the ambulance carrying them did. All I remember is the doctor saying the baby was gone and that they could treat Lis, I just agreed,” Rodney rubbed his hand over his face, trying to get his composure back, “Lis refused to talk to me after, she seemed to believe I’d made them get rid of our baby and we never saw each other again.”

“Rodney,” John swallowed hard as he watched his friend pull himself together, “I know that this is horrible for you but imagine how this kid is feeling right now. She’s in a strange world where there’s people she seems to know but they don’t know her. She needs you. Besides, haven’t you always wondered what she’d be like?”

Rodney stared at him for several minutes; he closed down his laptop and stood. John watched as Rodney left the lab, hitting his radio John warned Carson.


Alisa sat on the bed in the infirmary, getting more and more annoyed, especially as no one would tell her what was going on. Not to mention that for some reason there were two marines making sure she didn’t move.

She saw Carson wander past, he glanced over at her and Alisa glared at him.

“Beckett,” she snapped at him, she’d never in all the time she’d known him called him by his surname but Alisa was severely pissed.

“You called?” Carson came over.

“Alright,” Alisa snapped, “I am two seconds from finding a way to kill your computer and making sure everything you touch breaks. Now, I want to know what the hell is going on and why Thing One and Thing Two are stopping me leaving this bed?”

“It’s alright, Carson,” a familiar voice interrupted the doctor’s reply, “I’ll handle this.”

Alisa sighed in relief, “Dad, I thought something had happened to you.”


Rodney stared at her, he opened his mouth a few times to speak but nothing came out.

“You’re the image of her,” Rodney breathed finally, as the girl looked at him completely confused.

“Who?” Alisa asked, her forehead crinkled, “Mom? I know that.”

He continued to stare at her, “I never thought you’d be…”

“Okay, Dad,” Alisa frowned at him, “What is going on?”

Rodney swallowed, “I’m not your father.”

“Really?” sarcasm flowed from her, “Because you look exactly like the man who raised me.”

Rodney smiled at her attitude, she sounded so like him. He pulled over a seat and sat so he was at her eye level.

“Have you ever heard of a Quantum Mirror?” Rodney asked.

Alisa nodded “Sure, Daniel Jackson discovered it accidentally and crossed into a parallel universe without realising it,” her eyes widened as she finally understood what was happening, “This is…I’m in…then you’re not…”

“No,” Rodney shrugged.

Alisa pulled her knees up to her chest, hugging herself, “I…How…”

“Are you alright?” Rodney asked, not sure what to do.

Alisa raked her hands through her hair, “I…I...I’m alright. Can you send me home? My Dad will be going crazy.”

Rodney felt his heart clench. Without thought, he reached out and brushed the tear from her cheek.

“I’ll do what I can,” he promised before jumping up and leaving the infirmary.

*********************************************

“How is she?” Elizabeth asked Carson, she glanced out of the window to the bed where the young woman sat.

“I think the news that this is an alternate universe hit her quite hard,” Carson replied, “From what I can tell, Alisa is very close to her father as well as her version of us.”

“I think I’ll go talk to her,” Elizabeth decided, “I don’t think she needs the escort though.”

Carson nodded his agreement.

Elizabeth left the office and headed to where the daughter that Rodney McKay should have had sat.

“Hi,” she smiled.

Alisa glanced up at her, “Dr Weir.”

“Can I sit?” Elizabeth asked.

“You’re in charge of the city,” Alisa replied, her voice dull, “It’s your choice.”

Elizabeth pulled over a seat and settled back against the chair, “We are working on getting you home.”

“Thank you,” Alisa replied quietly.

Elizabeth waved the two marines away, “Feel like some lunch?”

“Ah…” the teenager hesitated.

“We can compare the differences,” Elizabeth smiled, motioning her to follow.


“So,” Elizabeth started, “What differences have you seen so far?”

Alisa shrugged, “So far, the only difference I’ve noticed is me. Dad, you and Carson are also the only ones I’ve seen so I don’t know if John, Teyla, Ronon, Radek, Laura and Caldwell are the same.”

Elizabeth laughed, “You just named every member of the senior staff.”

“Well, I have spent most of my time around them,” Alisa replied, she sighed as they entered the mess and moved to get some food, “I need to go home, Dr Weir. My father will be going crazy if I’m missing. He’s very protective.”

Elizabeth smiled slightly, moving the teenager to a seat, “If he’s anything like our Rodney, I can see that.”

Elizabeth winced, wishing she hadn’t brought up ‘their’ Rodney when Alisa dropped her eyes. It was obvious that was a sore spot for the girl.

“What else?” Elizabeth asked, “Do we have things in the same place?”

The question made Alisa smile, “As far as I see but I’ve not seen much yet.”

”Good point,” Elizabeth smiled back.

They fell into silence as they started to eat and Elizabeth studied the young woman across from her. She didn’t resemble Rodney at all except her eyes, they were the same blue orbs filled with intelligence only lacking the contempt Rodney’s held a great deal of the time.

“Can I join you ladies?” a familiar voice made Elizabeth smile.

“John,” she motioned him to a seat, “John, this is Alisa,” she said before looking at the teenager, “I’m guessing I don’t have to introduce him to you.”

Alisa shook her head slightly.

“Nice to meet you, Alisa,” John said, charming as always.

“You say that now,” Alisa grinned at him, “But just wait till you’ve known me longer.”

John laughed, “Oh she is definitely a McKay.”


*********************************************

“She was a hell of a wrench in the works,” John noted as he joined them sitting at Alisa’s bedside, “Threw us all for a loop when she appeared, even more so when she started to show us that she truly was Rodney McKay’s daughter.”

“I thought I was telling this,” Rodney complained.

“You know you’ll miss bits out,” John replied as he pulled a seat over, “Besides I’m betting you won’t tell them about your little hissy fit.”

Rodney glared at him as Laura and Carson chuckled, John simply grinned in triumph.

“So while Alisa was getting to know everyone,” Laura interrupted before they could start an argument, “What were you doing, Rodney?”

*********************************************

Rodney drank the last of the scotch Carson had given him for his birthday two years ago trying desperately to work out how he could turn this all into a dream. It wasn’t that he had never thought about Lis and the baby but he’d managed to heal over the wound, now it was wide open again.

Closing his eyes Rodney thought about the girl, barely a girl now at eighteen she was so beautiful. His daughter, his child...

“Rodney,” Carson called as a fist pounded on his door, “Want to open the door before I get Radek here to open it for me?”

Rodney grimaced and pulled himself off the chair, opening the door before dropping back into it. Carson stepped into the room and folded his arms as he looked at his friend before him.

“Snap out of it,” Carson said.

“What?”

“Rodney, she’s not a Wraith,” Carson snapped at his friend, “She’s a teenager, and a scared one at that. So get off your arse and either find a way to send her home or talk to her.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Rodney replied sullenly.

“For crying out loud,” Carson muttered before grabbing Rodney by the ear and pulling him to a stand, “Move.”

“Carson,” Rodney protested as he was moved through the corridors, “Ow...Ah...Carson, let me go.”

Carson finally let go of his ear and folded his arms across his chest again, “Well?”

“Fine,” Rodney snapped, “I’ll be in my lab if anyone wants me.”


Alisa licked her lips nervously as she peered into the lab before turning to Carson, “He’s busy.”

“He should be allowed to know you,” the doctor reminded her, “Besides don’t you want to show off just a little?”

A slight smile covered the teenager’s lips and Carson smiled back, already quite fond of her, “Then go in.”

Slowly Alisa walked into the lab, it was something she normally did a hundred times day without feeling awkward but this wasn’t really her father so she wasn’t sure how he’d react to her presence.

“Are you looking at the mirror?” she spoke up nervously making Rodney look up at her.

He nodded.

“Can I see?”

He nodded again and motioned her to join him, “How much do you understand about this?”

“A lot,” Alisa beamed at him, “You...my dad taught me everything. I’m actually Radek’s assistant back in my own world.”

“Radek? Why would I get you to work with him?” Rodney asked confused.

“Because you’d drive me crazy,” she gave him an amused smile.

Rodney chuckled slightly, “I suppose I understand that. Working with my Dad was never fun.”

Alisa smiled back slightly before she scanned over the computer screen to see what he was working on.

“Why are you on Atlantis?” Rodney asked suddenly, “You’re just a kid.”

Alisa shrugged, “The only way you...my dad would be able to go was if I could. They gave permission and he gave me the choice.”

Rodney shook his head in astonishment, “You should be in school and on earth.”

“Who needs school,” Alisa replied sharply, “I’m learning so much more in this city that I ever could there. I’m actually already working on my degree under Radek’s supervision. Don’t think you know what’s best for me, you don’t know me or him.”

“Alisa,” Rodney held his hands up, “I just thought...” he sighed deciding he should not argue, “Let me show you this.”


*********************************************

“I’m thirsty.”

Rodney’s head spun as his daughter murmured, he moved closer as her eyes fluttered open, “Hey, Lissa.”

“Dad? Can I get a drink?” she whispered a little confused at all the faces looking down at her.

Rodney stroked her hair, “Once Carson says its okay. He needs to make sure you’re alright first.”

“What happened?” she asked confused.

“You proved you’re just as much trouble as your father,” Carson noted as he joined them.

Alisa smiled weakly at Carson, “It’s so nice to see you again. I missed you.”

Carson squeezed her hand, “I’m looking forward to getting to know you, Alisa. Now I just need to see how you are. Okay?”

“‘Kay,” she sighed.

“And everyone else can leave,” Carson chased them, “We’ll finish this later.”

As everyone left Carson saw Rodney hanging back and he sighed, “That means you too, Rodney. Go get something to eat.”

A slight grimaced touched Rodney’s lips before he turned and kissed his daughter’s forehead, “I’ll be back soon.”


“So, what happened to me?” Alisa asked a little confused.

“From what we learned from the natives the thorn is used as a sedative in small quantities,” Carson explained as he helped her sit up, “You got a larger dose than normal, I’m a little worried about how it’s going to affect you for the next while but I’ll just keep an eye on you.”

Alisa nodded, “You’ll have a lot of opportunity. I’m betting I won’t be getting off world for at least another six years, at least.”

Carson chuckled, “I was getting told the story of how you came into our lives.”

“Really?”

“It’s not that bad,” Carson chuckled, “Rodney adores you.”

Alisa shrugged slightly, “He didn’t when I first arrived.”

Carson frowned as Alisa’s attitude changed suddenly. She dropped her eyes and Carson pulled the chair over to the bed so he could sit.

“What do you mean?”


“Okay,” Radek said as Alisa sat watching him, “We’re ready to try this and see if we can send you home.”

She smiled at him, “Good. I bet I’ll be grounded to my lab and room for the next few months after this. Dad can be very protective.”

Radek nodded, “I can see that.”

“Really?”

“Rodney, the Rodney I know, does not make friends easily,” Radek told her, “But those friends he does make, and I am able to count myself in that number, he will protect them with everything he has. For his child, I see him moving the stars themselves to protect.”

Alisa blushed slightly.

“Now,” Radek squeezed her shoulder, “Why don’t you go get the annoying man who we need to tell us that we can occasionally do our jobs, and let him know we’re ready to try to send you home.”

“Am I allowed to go wandering alone?” Alisa asked.

Radek nodded, “You’re only going to his lab and back. I trust you. Go.”

Alisa gave him another smile, as much as she was worried about her father and how he would react to her being missing Alisa was enjoying this look at an alternate world.

Reaching the lab where the alternate version of her father was Alisa went to knock but as she reached the door his voice came through clearly.

“Because she’s not my daughter, Elizabeth,” Rodney snapped.

Alisa winced before she ran away from the door and found the balcony that was hers back home. Curling in the corner Alisa couldn’t stop tears sliding along her cheeks. She knew he wasn’t really her father but hearing those words had hurt her in a way she never knew existed.



“Is that why you didn’t answer my email for three months?” Rodney’s voice made Alisa and Carson turn as he walked in, “Is that why?”

Alisa dropped her eyes, “I know now you’re happy that I’m here but back when you didn’t, when I got the email I just assumed you were trying to be nice and keep your promise.”

“Why did you write back?”

“Because I needed you,” she whispered, “I needed someone in my life who knew who I really was.”

“Oh Lissa,” Rodney sighed moving to her and wrapping his arms around her, “You didn’t hear the entire conversation.”


“Rodney,” Elizabeth knocked on the door to his lab finding him staring at his computer, “Are you okay?”

“What?”

Rodney shook himself as he realised who was there, “Sorry, Elizabeth I was just thinking.”

Elizabeth moved round the bench to join him and found he was staring at a picture of their visitor.

“She has your eyes,” Elizabeth noted.

Rodney shrugged, “Other than that she’s the double of her mother. I’ve seen some strange things since I’ve worked on the Stargate program but this has to be the most incredible thing.”

“So why are you sitting in here and not spending time with your daughter?” Elizabeth asked him.

“Because she’s not my daughter, Elizabeth,” Rodney snapped, he rubbed his hand across his face, “She’s not mine; I don’t get to keep her. Soon we’ll fix the mirror then she’ll leave and all I’ll have of her is this picture.”

“Rodney,” Elizabeth rested her hand on his arm, “I’m sorry. I guess I didn’t think how you would feel once we sent Alisa back home.”

Rodney shrugged, “This was why I didn’t want to get to know her, Elizabeth because I lose again.”



Alisa stared at him, “Really?”

“Of course,” Rodney sat beside her, “Lissa, I know what people think of me. But when your Mom left after we lost the baby I didn’t want to feel like that again so I pushed people away. Suddenly I have a daughter, the daughter I’d lost and I was overwhelmed, then all I could think was you were leaving and I was going to lose you again.”

Alisa moved and hugged him tightly, “Love you, Dad.”

“Love you too,” Rodney sighed.

As they parted they saw Carson watching them.

“What?” they asked in unison.

Carson chuckled, “How about the end of the story?”

“Oh,” Alisa said, she looked at her father, “You want to finish this?”

Rodney nodded.

*********************************************

Rodney looked at the teenager who was standing nervously at his side watching Radek working at the console. Rodney was trying to memorise how brilliant this girl was and although he wished he could get to know her better he wanted her to get home safely.

“Are we almost ready?” John asked from his side.

“Just about,” Radek replied, “I am using the frequency within your cells to make sure we send you to the correct Universe.”

Alisa nodded watching as the Mirror burst to life, giving a cry of relief she saw her father on the other side. Rodney dropped his head and leaned over to the computer tapping a few controls.

“They should be able to hear us,” Rodney told them.

“Dad,” Alisa called to the doppelganger of the man standing beside her, “It’s…” she trailed off as she saw herself move to her father’s side, “What’s going on?”

“It’s okay,” her father assured, resting the hand on the shoulder of the other version of her, “We’ve been waiting for you to make contact. The Mirror is different to the others; it doesn’t move people into parallel worlds it makes a clone instead.”

“I’m a clone?” Alisa asked confused, feeling Rodney wrap his arm around her.

Her father nodded, “Both of you touch the mirror and you’ll be returned to the real you keeping all the knowledge of the alternate world.”

“Wow,” Alisa whispered, “Let me say goodbye first.”

Rodney watched the other version of him nod softly as he stood with his arm wrapped around the other version of the girl hugging Elizabeth goodbye. He was amazed seeing how parental the other version of him was. Finally Alisa turned to him.

“Thank you for helping me go home,” she said softly.

Rodney hugged her, “It was incredible to meet you.”

As she let him go Alisa reached out and touched the mirror at the same time as her counterpart. She frowned and turned to Rodney as nothing happened.

“Why am I still here?”

“I don’t know,” Rodney said, he moved to the control panel at the same time as the other version did. They both scanned over the systems for several minutes as everyone else waited.

“It doesn’t work,” the other version said suddenly.

“What?” both versions of Alisa snapped.

Alisa moved to the mirror staring at her father, “Dad, what’s happening?”

Rodney watched as his counterpart crouch down to look in her eyes, “I’m so sorry, Lissa. As usual the Ancients screwed up, it doesn’t work.”

“I’m stuck here?” Alisa whispered anguished.

Rodney moved to her, “I’m sorry, Alisa. We didn’t know.”

“Dr McKay,” someone called, “The power is failing. We’ll lose the connection soon.”

Rodney wrapped his arm around the teenager as she stared at the people in the world she wanted to go home to but now knew she never would because she was already there.

“Take care of her,” Alisa’s father said to Rodney.

Rodney hugged the girl closer and nodded, “I will.”

Without warning the mirror suddenly turned black and Alisa let out a harsh sob.


Alisa sat on the bed in the room they’d given her staring blankly at the wall trying to come to terms with what had just happened to her. The chime sounded and she reluctantly moved to open the door.

“Dr Weir,” she greeted the woman standing there.

“Can I come in?” Elizabeth asked.

Alisa shrugged, “Why not.”

Elizabeth pulled over the seat as Alisa dropped back onto the bed, “I’m so sorry about this, Alisa.”

“Not your fault I touched something that the damned Ancients left lying about that as usual didn’t work properly,” Alisa shrugged again.

“I’ve also been speaking with the IOA,” Elizabeth explained, “I tried to get them to understand, to see that…”

“They want me to go back to Earth,” Alisa whispered.

“I’m afraid so.”

Alisa shook her head, “This is my home. I don’t even have anyone on Earth like I did in the other world. They can’t do this.”

Elizabeth rested her hand on Alisa’s shoulder, “I’ve tried. We all tried,” she moved to sit with the teenager wrapping her arm around the girl, “Rodney is still trying.”

Alisa snorted slightly before asking, “When?”

“Tomorrow.”

“There’s one more thing,” Elizabeth sighed, “The IOA feel that considering your knowledge and connection to Atlantis then you can’t…you can’t have any contact with the city.”

“Of course not,” Alisa shook her head, “Why should I have at some kind of connection anywhere.”

“I’m sorry, Alisa,” Elizabeth said again not knowing what else to say.


*********************************************

“So I left Atlantis,” Alisa told Carson, “Went back to Earth where they changed my name, sent me to college, I got my degree and here I am.”

“And you didn’t manage to contact anyone?” Carson asked with a smile, “If you’re anything like your father then I’m betting you managed it.”

Alisa shrugged, “I’ll see you later, Carson.”

The doctor watched the younger McKay walk out before turning to his friend, “She makes life interesting.”

Rodney smiled, “You have no idea.”

“So,” Carson said as they started walking to the commissary, “How did you get in touch with her?”

Rodney smiled, “Getting in touch with her was the easy part. Getting her to answer me back was the thing I didn’t know if it would work.”


Alisa,
First of all I want to apologise that you were sent back to Earth.
I know your family was on Atlantis but then again we’re not really the family you knew. I wish I could be the father you knew; I lost that chance a long time ago so when you appeared from nowhere it threw me.
I guess you already knew that considering how I acted around you. Please understand that I regret the way I acted, after you left I realised what an idiot I was.
It’s taken me over a month to get the courage up to send this to you.
If you want to keep in touch with me then I would love to hear about how you’re doing but I’ll understand if you never want to hear from me ever again.
Take care of yourself,
Dr M Rodney McKay.


Hi,
I was going to start ‘Dear Dad’ but that’s not exactly true, ‘Dear Dr McKay’ sounded far too formal and ‘Dear Rodney’ just didn’t work. So you’re getting ‘Hi’.
I know it’s been three months since you wrote to me but to be honest I was a little angry, actually I was so mad I wanted to throw something at you. Being sent back to Earth when I’d just lost my home felt like a punishment for the accident that meant I was here.
Well I’m doing okay, the SGC found me a nice apartment which they’ve paid for, I get an allowance every month and school isn’t too bad.
I’m using my mother’s surname again; I’ll tell you that story at some point so everything is under the name of Alisa Bonner. I don’t like it much but apparently if I use my real name my connection to you might come up and that would cause problems.
How is everyone else? I miss them too.
Be careful, because I know how much trouble you guys can get into.
Alisa.


Alisa,
It was great to hear from you, I was beginning to think I never would. We do not get into that much trouble but I promise I will be careful.
News from the city:
We recently lost Carson and Elizabeth which is a huge blow, I can’t give you any details but I’m sure you can imagine how hard it is for us all. I was back on Earth for Carson’s funeral but I didn’t want to come see you since I didn’t know if you’d want to see me at that time.
Colonel Carter has been given command which is taking some getting used to. Dr Keller has taken over as CMO; Teyla is pregnant which shocked us all though she seems to be happy about it. Radek and I are working on several improvements to the interface between our computers and the city’s. I included a little bit of what we’re doing for you to look over, not too much as I know I can’t send too many details like this. Hopefully it’ll be enough for you.
How are your classes going?
R.


Hi.
Carthorse is in charge, that must be a nightmare for all involved.
I can’t believe Elizabeth and Carson are gone. I know I didn’t know them that well here but in my own world Carson was like an uncle to me and Dr Weir was someone I always looked up to.
The code you sent was amazing, and I wish I could get to see the upgrade myself but it’s not possible until I get my PhD and get transferred there.
My classes are, to be honest with you, kinda boring. I think I’m seen as a little arrogant because I’ve already corrected my lecturers about three or four times in the last month but I hate when they tell me things I know are not right.
I’m sending you a copy of my latest essay to look over and tell me your thoughts. I did get an A so I’m pretty proud of it.
Alisa.


Alisa,
I’m not too sure I approve of you calling Carter ‘Carthorse’ but it’s not like I can ground you. Sorry I’ve not written for a while but it’s been a bit hectic around here.
I had a look over your essay and I’m impressed. Ask anyone it’s not something I say often. I have a slight confession, I was on Earth recently. My sister, Jeannie who is your aunt although you probably already know that...anyway she was kidnapped.
Don’t worry she’s fine but I was on Earth for a few days. I was going to come and see you but I wasn’t able to and I apologise. I promise the next time I’m on Earth I will come and see you. I have to go someone is trying to blow the city as usual.
R.



Alisa smiled as she read over some of the emails she and her father had sent to one another while she was on Earth. They had kept her sane when she was alone but thankfully now she wasn’t.

“McKay,” JD’s voice sounded in her ear, “Are you coming for lunch or what?”

Closing down her computer Alisa grabbed her jacket and headed to meet her team. The three years spent on Earth had been long and lonely but she wasn’t lonely anymore.