Finding Closure von Rocza

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: The team departs for Atlantis.
Chapter 7 – Welcome to the SGC

Three days later…

“Gibbs?” Abby Sciuto asked as they began descending into the Cheyenne Mountain Complex.

“Yeah, Abs,” Gibbs replied absently, as he took in every detail of the complex.

“Um, aren’t we supposed to be catching a transport?” Abby asked as the elevator numbers counted up while the elevator was obviously going down.

Gibbs turned to Jon and noticed his casual slouch against the elevator wall. Gibbs quirked an eyebrow at him and Jon just shook his head. Gibbs sighed in frustration. For the last three days, Jon had refused to talk about anything to do with the classified project. He had insisted that they complete full physicals at Bethesda Naval Hospital and had received several shots. Jon refused to tell them what the shots were and why they needed brain scans. He stipulated that once they reached a secure area, all would be revealed, but not one minute sooner.

Gibbs was surprised to find that MTAC wasn’t considered secure enough. He would have figured that 10…no 11 levels below the ground would be secure enough, but apparently not.

The elevator hit 12 and opened up to a narrow hallway. Jon smirked as he led the way to yet another checkpoint. They all showed their new security badges to the Airman, had their palms scanned, and signed their names yet again, just to get into another elevator.

The doors closed and the elevator began to descend again. Gibbs could see Abby trying to calculate exactly how deep they were. The elevator stopped at level 28 and opened to reveal several Airmen led by a short Chief Master Sergeant.

“Welcome to Stargate Command,” the Chief greeted them with a clipboard. Gibbs watched as he checked off their names on a list. He also noted that the Chief hesitated and glanced back at Jon before checking off the alias O’Brien from the list. He only proceeded when Jon nodded. “Alright, if you will follow me, I’ll escort you to the passenger waiting area.” Gibbs nodded and the Airmen quickly took their luggage as they followed the Chief through the concrete hallways to a large room with several other people milling about. The Chief turned and after making sure they placed their baggage in the designated area, “Departure is at 1300. Good luck,” then he turned and left.

Gibbs glared at Jon again. Jon just pointedly glanced at the other waiting passengers. Gibbs relented and then glanced at his watch, “Not long now.” He went back to observing everything and everyone around him.

Abby glared at Gibbs before stating, “Gibbs, am I going to have to be without Caf-Pow this entire assignment?”

“Probably,” Gibbs replied.

“Then you owe me…BIG TIME, Mister,” Abby stated with venom.

As the appointed departure time drew near, the Chief returned and started handing out miscellaneous items. Gibbs was more than amused to see several scientists receive toothbrushes and one a bottle of contact lens solution before the Chief turned to their small party. He pulled out a clipboard and had each of the sign a non-disclosure agreement and an equipment sign-out form before he handed Jethro a laptop computer.

Next, he turned to Abby and pulled out several cans of Monster Energy Drink before apologizing that it was as close to Caf-Pow as they had in Colorado. Abby squealed with glee and gave the Chief a huge hug and kissed him on his bald head. The Chief blushed red and almost threw an envelope at Jon before he made his escape.

White light enveloped the room. Gibbs had expected it after Jon’s earlier performance at the White House. But he didn’t expect to arrive on the bridge of a spaceship.

“Welcome aboard the Daedalus. I’m Colonel Caldwell. All luggage has been transported to the dining facility. Dr. Novak will escort you to your quarters. Please review all the safety guidelines provided in your quarters. We will run several combat drills before we arrive in the Pegasus Galaxy and you all will be expected to participate.” He turned to a short woman, “Dr. Novak, they’re all yours.” Then the colonel turned and sat back in what can only be described as the Captain’s Chair.

Jon gently ushered his two companions forward as the other scientists from the waiting area surged forward to follow Dr Novak down the corridor. Once they were safely ensconced in their quarters, Jon carefully explained the basic history of the Stargate Program for Gibbs and how it had led to the development of spacecraft with hybrid alien technologies and the colonization of the Ancient Lost City of Atlantis. He provided them Daniel’s DVD’s for a more in depth summary.

Jon paused in his story and watched as Abby moved from open shock to eager scientists. He could almost see the questions bubbling up behind her eyes. Her earlier disclosure hadn’t included the spaceships or a description of Atlantis as an alien city full of advanced technology. She didn’t seem quite so worried about leaving her lab now. Gibbs on the other hand had closed off all his reactions and instead was studying Jon with a blank face. Jon was all too familiar with that kind of blank assessment. He used it often. He was resigned to Gibbs distrust, but it was starting to grate on his nerves.

“And this is where our story crosses over with our assignment.” Jon pulled out the forgotten laptop and quickly booted it up and opened the classified personnel file for Lt Ford, “Lt Aiden Ford was one of the first military volunteers for the Atlantis exploration team. Doctor Elizabeth Weir was the exploration director. The security component was commanded by Col. Marshall Sumner, USMC, and seconded by Maj John Sheppard, USAF.”

“Lt Ford was specifically chosen for the expedition because he was single and had received extensive training as a combat and survival specialist. His former commander described Lt Ford as ‘a good man in a tight spot.’ He was in line for a position on an SG-Team before his selection to the Atlantis expedition,” John explained carefully.

“Wait,” Gibbs interrupted. “What’s an SG-Team? And why is that important?”

“An SG-Team is a specialized team that is sent through the Stargate to other planets to explore, meet new people, broker treaties with potential allies, research abandoned ruins, and much more. Teams consist of a military component and a scientific component. Most teams are small between 4 to 6 members, but some specialized teams can consist of much more,” John explained. “Because of the nature of the exploration, each team must have a complete skill set; combat, survival, technical, and linguistics. If something goes wrong, they need to be able to survive long enough for Earth to know they are in trouble and send help.”

“Wait a minute…explore PLANETS? As in meeting aliens and stuff?” Abby nearly shrieked.

“Yes,” John replied casually.

“I thought you were pulling my leg with that whole ancient alien artifact crap…” Abby’s eyes widened. “OH MY GOD! This is so cool. You really are going to introduce me to an alien!”

“Abby!” Gibbs growled a warning.

“Right…Sorry, Gibbs,” she stated her eyes still wide in awe and excitement.

Gibbs gestured for Jon to continue.

Jon nodded, “The Atlantis exploration team departed on time and without any problems. All supplies and personnel were transported within the 38 minute window.”

Jon glanced up at the two before continuing, “Nothing was heard from the Atlantis team for almost a year. Two rescue missions were launched and aborted before they could leave the galaxy. The third mission was already being planned when the Atlantis team was able to send a burst transmission via the Stargate. In that transmission, Dr Weir explained in detail the decisions she had made over the course of that year, the casualties they had sustained, including the early loss of Col Sumner, and a brief outline of their plan to destroy the city and escape to another planet to avoid a hostile alien race known as the Wraith.”

Jon smiled, “General O’Neill sprang into action and immediately ordered troops to reinforce the city as well as the deployment of the USS Daedalus in the city’s defense. Using a ZPM, an alien power source, the Daedalus was able to make the trip in 4 days and bolster the city’s shields. It was during this defensive action that Lt Ford was severely injured by a wraith shock trooper.”

“According to the reports filed by the Atlantis team, Lt Ford was attacked and the wraith trooper tried to feed on him. The trooper was killed before it could complete the action and both the body of the wraith and Lt Ford were thrown out to sea where they remained for some hours. After the battle, Lt Ford and the wraith’s body were recovered and Dr. Beckett was able to remove the wraith from the lieutenant. But not without some complications.”

Jon looked up at Gibbs, “This is where the story gets vague. Dr Beckett and Maj Sheppard both describe Lt Ford as being under the influence of an alien drug, while Dr Weir describes Lt Ford as being traumatized by the experience. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, if you will. Regardless, before he could recover, Lt Ford escaped the infirmary, injuring several of his fellow Marines in the process and went AWOL through the Stargate to another planet.”

Gibbs’ eye widened in surprise, “AWOL? I thought he was listed MIA.”

“Because Maj Sheppard believed that PTSD or the alien drug influenced his mind, the lieutenant was listed as MIA. Lt Ford’s record up till this incident was impeccable. The major insisted that had he been in his right mind, he would never have left the infirmary. In fact, he used that angle to try and prove how the lieutenant was under alien influence at the time of his escape.” Jon scanned the contents of the laptop and opened the appropriate files for Gibbs to browse.

Gibbs skimmed the reports and made a note to read them in more detail later, “What else?”

Jon continued, “A few weeks later, SGA-1 encountered Lt Ford while exploring another planet. They attempted to reason with him and failed. Lt Ford evaded capture and eventually escaped the planet. It was determined that lieutenant’s use of the alien drug had made him unstable and a severe security risk to the city. Col Caldwell filed several reports about the incident that supported a different opinion on Dr Weir’s position and the newly promoted LtCol Sheppard’s actions on the planet.”

“The Atlantis team encountered Lt Ford one final time, approximately 6 months after the attack on the city. Lt Ford captured SGA-1, his former teammates, and addicted them on the alien drug. He then used them to attack a Wraith Hive Ship. The team destroyed the ship and escaped back to Atlantis. Lt Ford’s final known actions were to cover the team and ensure their escape. It was after this encounter that his status was changed from MIA to MIA-Presumed Dead,” Jon finished.

“Why still MIA and not AWOL?” Gibbs asked himself. “Alright, let me review these files and I’ll get started on an interview list. Abby, I want you to read over the scientific reports and the reports from this Dr Beckett. I want to know everything there is to know about this drug and how it affects the mind. Jon, get a second computer for Abby.” Gibbs then turned away from them and began to read the reports in earnest.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

TBC