Alisa von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
How could I resist doing this one?
I have updated this slightly as I gave Rodney something with orange in it accidentally. Thanks to Delka and Lirenel for pointing this out. Enjoy.
John grinned as he handed the other Colonel the lemon, before wincing when he saw who was standing nearby watching him with flat cool blue eyes.

“Smug self-righteous bastard,” Alisa said as him as she walked past.

“Manipulative brat,” John shot back, turning to see Mitchell looking at him completely confused, “Don’t ask, trust me.”

“Okay,” Mitchell watched the teenager move to one of the consoles in the control room, “I’d better go. Things to do before we leave.”

“Good luck, Colonel,” John told him.

He watched the other man leave the room, smiling as he felt Alisa join him.

“You know,” Alisa noted in a soft voice, “Dad will get you back for this,” she started to walk away but turned back and smirked at him, “And on this one, I’ll help.”

John laughed to himself as he watched her leave the room, “I don’t doubt it.”

-

Sam walked through the corridors of Atlantis, marvelling at the beauty of the city but focussed on finding McKay. They were due to leave in a few minutes and nobody knew where the hell he was. She found him standing next to a transporter talking to a young blonde; Sam frowned as he placed his hand on her cheek.

“Oh, McKay that’s low,” she murmured to herself before walking over to them, “Time to go, McKay. You can annoy the other scientists later.”

The girl, Sam could see how exceedingly young she actually was, turned, looked Sam up and down with a steely gaze before turning back to Rodney and waiting for him to speak again.

“McKay, time to go” Sam said again, disgusted at him for his behaviour.

“I know you told me that the ‘dumb blonde’ thing is just a fallacy,” the girl noted to Rodney, “But I think we may have found someone who actually embodies it.”

“What?” Sam gasped, stunned.

“Look,” the girl snapped sharply, “I’m trying to finish a conversation with my father, so scurry along and he’ll join you in a minute.”

Sam stared at her as the girl’s words filtered through her shock, “Your what?”

The girl rolled her eyes, in a manner very similar to Rodney, “I’ll go slow, considering that tiny military mind of yours,” the girl said, “Go away. I. Am. Talking. To. My. Dad.”

Completely stunned Sam headed for the ship, managing to call back, “We leave in ten, McKay.”

-

“Do you know who that was?” Rodney asked his openly grinning daughter.

“Do I care?” Alisa challenged, the amused look not leaving her eyes.

“That was Lt Colonel Samantha Carter of SG1,” Rodney told her.

“So I should have curtsied when telling her to get lost?” Alisa snorted, “Come on, Dad. She had no right to talk to you like that.”

Rodney smiled at his daughter’s protective nature, trying to think of something to say in response to that.

“I have to go,” was all he could come up with.

Alisa nodded, “Be careful. Okay. And don’t let them get to you.”

“Lissa...”

“You’re brilliant,” she told him, “And they need you. They came here for your help. Don’t forget that.”

Rodney nodded; he quickly kissed her forehead, “Be good.”

“When am I not?” Alisa asked with an innocent grin and shrug.

“Don’t make me pull out the list,” Rodney teased back, he squeezed her hand, “I’ll see you soon, Lissa.”

-

Rodney headed onto the ship, finding Sam waiting for him. She looked stunned and Rodney knew she’d be asking questions.

“You have a daughter?” was the first thing out of her mouth.

Rodney sighed, “Yes.”

He continued working on the warheads, hoping she would drop it but he also knew he wasn’t that lucky. He glanced up finding her still staring at him.

“What?”

“You have a daughter?” Sam asked again, “I just can’t believe you never said anything about her.”

Rodney grimaced, “Alisa is not a topic open for discussion. Her existence has never impacted on my job and it won’t today so...just leave it.”

“McKay,” Sam said softly, making him look back up at her, “I just can’t believe I never knew about her. You told me about wanting to be a pianist when you were a kid; I thought if you were sharing, a child would be something you’d mention.”

Rodney swallowed, “My child is my business and we have work to do.”

Sam opened her mouth to say something else but as Rodney moved away, she decided against it.

*********************************************

Daniel stepped out into the hall, fuming. Damned Ancients, was all he could think. He was so caught up in being annoyed he didn’t see the teenager leaning against the wall until she spoke.

“Hi, Daniel.”

Daniel spun and grinned, genuinely pleased to see her again, “Alisa, how are you?”

“I’m fine,” Alisa smiled at him, “So you finally made it to Atlantis. And I believe I promised you a tour.”

Daniel nodded, “I believe you’re right.”

A cough from his side made them both turn to the woman standing there, looking both interested in who Daniel was talking to and annoyed he was ignoring her.

“Alisa McKay,” Daniel rolled his eyes in annoyance, “Meet Vala Mal Doran.”

Vala frowned, “McKay? Isn’t that the name of the annoying man we didn’t want to ask for help?”

Seeing Alisa’s eyes harden, Daniel rolled his eyes and leaned into the woman at his side.

“Tactful,” he murmured to her.

Vala looked at him confused, “What?”

“How about I give you the tour,” Alisa said to Daniel, “And she goes to the mess for something to...eat.”

“As good an idea as that sounds,” he told Alisa, “She has a habit of stealing things when left alone.”

“Hey,” Vala cried indignantly but was ignored.

Alisa held up her hand for him to wait a second before jogging along the corridor to one of the Marines walking past. Daniel watched as the teenager smiled and spoke quickly with the man, who looked worried at first then simply resigned.

“Major Green, meet Vala,” Alisa introduced the man she brought back with her; “She needs an escort to the mess and someone to watch her.”

Green simply nodded, “Miss,” he motioned her forward.

Not looking happy but since Daniel was simply grinning as she was forced away, Vala went with the man. Green glanced back at Alisa who smirked at him before she turned back to Daniel.

“So, that tour,” she smiled.

-

“What exactly did you say to that guy to get him to agree to escort Vala?” Daniel asked as they walked towards the East pier.

Alisa looked innocent, “Simply that he owed me one or two favours.”

“Favours?”

“One thing about this place,” Alisa told him, “Is that we’re a community where money really isn’t that useful.”

“So the currency of the realm is...”

“Favours, chocolate,” Alisa shrugged, “Things won in chess and card games.”

Daniel laughed, leaning on the railing and staring out across the horizon, “And I’m guessing you’re good at both.”

Alisa shrugged again but the smirk was evident on her face, “Not to mention I’m a whizz with computers and the technology of the city. Which leads me to the question, how long are you here for?”

Suspicion filled Daniel, “Not long, why?”

“Nothing,” Alisa replied in a slightly sing-song voice.

He looked round at her with distrust, “You know Vala sometimes doesn’t think before she speaks.”

“Daniel,” Alisa laughed, “I’m not going to do anything that’s actually dangerous,” innocence filled her eyes and voice, “And it’s best if I don’t tell you.”

“Alisa?”

“Trust me,” she told him, pure sweetness in her voice and innocence in her eyes.

Daniel stared at her for a second before looking out across the water, a wistful expression on his face.

“What’s wrong?” Alisa asked worried.

“Nothing,” he replied, his voice thick with emotion, “You just reminded me of someone for a moment. She used to do that look and voice whenever she wanted something.”

“Someone close to you?” Alisa ventured, not sure she should be asking but she couldn’t stop herself.

“My wife,” he gave a sad smile, his eyes never moving from the horizon, “She would have liked you.”

Alisa knew she shouldn’t ask anything else; it was obvious this was something that upset him and she did actually have tact–despite what some people thought.

“Hey,” she spoke up, “Want to see the view from the tower?”

*********************************************

Rodney left the ship with relief; he could hear Mitchell and Carter behind him. He’d almost started to believe that he had a little respect these days from her but he’d obviously been wrong.

“So,” Mitchell was saying, the offending citrus fruit being tossed from hand to hand, “Wonder what the food is like here.”

“It’s not bad,” John noted as he arrived, Daniel and Alisa with him.

Alisa stepped forward and snatched the lemon from the air, her eyes icy as she glared at Mitchell before she turned and tossed it off the balcony.

“There,” she noted, “That’s better,” she moved to her father’s side and they started walking away from the others.

“Who is that?” Mitchell demanded, completely confused at how this kid had free reign.

John smirked; it made him proud of how self-assured Alisa was and couldn’t help but watch as she took on anyone who dared insult her father.

“That’s Rodney’s daughter,” Daniel told him, “And from what she was saying, I wouldn’t count on anything in this city working for you while we’re here.”

“And that kid could do that?” Mitchell asked; disbelief in his voice.

John laughed making the other three turn to him, “Alisa can do that. And you using the lemon did put you on her hit list.”

“You gave me it,” Mitchell reminded him.

“True,” John shrugged, starting towards the mess, “But I know how to get off it.”

-

Rodney kept his arm wrapped firmly around his little girl; they’d done what they were here to do so that meant SG1 would be gone soon.

“Dad,” Alisa started, her voice slightly wheedling, “Considering I’m still in the bad books for...”

“Stowing away on the Daedalus,” he finished for her.

“Yeah, that,” Alisa rushed past it as fast as possible, “How annoyed would you be if I play with a few controls?”

Rodney glanced over at her with interest, “Meaning?”

“Might be better if you don’t know,” Alisa told him, innocence dancing in her eyes.

Rodney smiled, “Okay.”

“Okay?” Alisa asked suspiciously.

“I don’t want any details,” he told her, “but as long as it’s nothing dangerous and can be put squarely in the practical joke category...” he smiled at her, “There will be no punishment from me.”

Alisa grinned before frowning, “What about the others?”

Rodney didn’t answer and just continued on as Alisa chased after him.

-

Laura Cadman waved father and daughter over to her table, smiling as she heard Rodney complain that all the chocolate-coconut slices he liked were gone.

“Here,” Laura placed the extra one she had on his tray, “I got the last two.”

A little stunned at the gesture, Rodney could only nod while Alisa smirked into her lunch before leaning over to her friend.

“If you’re trying to make Carson jealous,” Alisa noted, “You need to wait till he’s actually in the room.”

Laura rolled her eyes, “You’re not funny.”

They sat in silence eating for a while until John arrived, SG1 in tow.

“Is the food edible today?” John asked, getting his hand smacked away when he went for Rodney’s chocolate-cocnut slice.

“Try it and see just how cold your quarters can get,” Rodney told him.

John chuckled and led the other three to get something to eat. Vala appeared at Daniel’s side as they took their seats.

“Colonel,” Laura nodded at John before turning, “Colonel, Colonel...”

“You sound like a broken record,” Alisa noted with a grin.

Laura rolled her eyes but didn’t reply.

“Dr McKay,” Radek’s voice came over the comm., “Please report to Jumper bay.”

Rodney sighed; he grabbed the dessert Laura had given him, throwing her a quick smile before he left, squeezing his daughter’s shoulder on the way past.

Alisa smiled at him before finishing quickly, “I better go too. I have a report to finish for Hermiod.”

“Hermiod?” Daniel asked amused, “The Asgard on the Daedalus.”

“Yeah,” she rolled her eyes, “He’s taken great interest in my education for some bizarre reason. Nice to see you again, Daniel.”

John and Laura both grimaced as she didn’t acknowledge any of the rest of SG1 sitting there. After a few seconds Laura turned to her CO who nodded and she left after her young friend.

-

“Lissa, what exactly are you doing?” Laura demanded, watching her young friend’s fingers fly across the keyboard.

Alisa glanced up at her, pausing for a second, “You really don’t want to know.”

“Why?”

“Probably something to do with chain of command or some rubbish like that,” Alisa waved her away, “Look, Laura it’s nothing bad.”

“Why don’t I believe you?” Laura folded her arms across her chest, “Does your Dad know what you’re up to?”

Alisa smirked slightly, she finished what she was doing with a flourish, “And I’m done.”

Laura sighed wondering how she ended up being the maternal figure in a seventeen year olds life – especially this seventeen year old.

“Lieutenant,” Sam Carter’s voice made Laura turn, “Can you give me a minute with Alisa?”

Laura glanced back to where the teenager looked far from happy but nodded, “Of course, Colonel.”

Laura moved to Alisa, she gripped the young woman’s arm, “Be nice,” she warned before heading out, leaving them alone.

-

Alisa folded her arms across her chest, “What do you want?”

“I believe that we got off on the wrong foot,” Sam told her, “I was hoping to talk to you, Alisa.”

“I don’t believe I gave you permission to use my first name,” Alisa noted tartly, “Colonel.”

Sam frowned, “Alright, Miss McKay. I understand you don’t feel that I respect your father...”

“Maybe because you don’t,” Alisa cut her off, “Then again, you don’t really know him.”

Sam laughed, “Oh I think I know him pretty well these days.”

“Really?”

“I’ve worked with him plenty of times,” Sam told her.

“Oh and that makes you the expert?” Alisa snorted, sarcasm filling her voice, “You’ve never looked past what he shows and that makes you pathetic.”

Sam took a deep breath, wondering why she was so intent on trying to get the teenager to like her, “I know you’re his daughter and trust me when I was your age...maybe a little younger, I thought my Dad was the greatest...”

“Stop trying to bond,” Alisa dismissed her, “Until a few hours ago you didn’t even know I existed.”

Silence filled the room and neither spoke or moved

“Fine,” Sam said finally and turned to leave, stopping when Alisa started to talk again.

“You think you know him,” the younger McKay spoke softly, “Did you know he was twenty-one when I was born and my mother, his wife died a few hours later? Did you know he raised me single-handedly and gave up every single one of his dreams for me?”

Sam stared at the girl, “I...”

“Did you know when my grandparents were killed in a car accident,” Alisa continued, her voice ringing with anger, “He sat every night with me for months so I would sleep, barely getting any rest himself because I was afraid of him not being there? Did you ever wonder why he’s so sharp with people, why he pushes them away?”

“I...”

“If you took your head out your ass then you would know that it’s so he doesn’t lose anyone else,” Alisa snapped, “He is a brilliant scientist and he is a great man. Not to mention the fact that he is my father, so if you don’t like him – keep it to yourself.”

With that said Alisa stalked out, walking past an astonished Laura who was waiting not far away.

-

“Permission to speak freely,” Laura asked, entering the lab where Sam was standing utterly astonished.

“Of course, Lieutenant,” Sam nodded, still quite shocked.

“You made a mistake,” Laura told her, “I know how annoying Rodney can be, I know how much of an ass but his daughter is everything to him and to Alisa, he’s her hero.”

“Lieutenant,” Sam started.

“He almost died at the hands of the Wraith only a few days ago,” Laura reminded her, “And he came back...” she trailed off, trying to get back on topic, “You’re not going to get her to like you. Alisa has very strong opinions and she very rarely changes her view on people.”

“She changed her view on you,” Sam challenged.

Laura laughed and shook her head, “She liked me to begin with. I’m just trying to save you time and a lot of energy, don’t push it and one day she might not look at you as though you were a piece of dirt.”

“She really is his kid,” Sam laughed.

Laura nodded, “In more ways than one. I should go,” she motioned the corridor, “I’ve a feeling she’s up to something and I want to keep an eye on her.”

“Of course,” Sam nodded, “And Lieutenant.”

Laura turned back, “Yes, Ma’am?”

“What exactly is your relationship with Alisa?” Sam asked intrigued.

Laura gave a half laugh, half sigh, “I’ve never been precisely sure.”

“You were in Rodney’s head for several days,” Sam reminded her, “That has to have left some kind of...”

“Insanity,” Laura finished with a grin, “There were moments. I guess I do feel extremely maternal when it comes to Alisa and I also feel very protective of Rodney.”

Sam caught Laura’s meaning and nodded, “Thank you, Lieutenant. I won’t keep you anymore.”

*********************************************

Daniel frowned as he heard Mitchell swear from the other side of the door.

“Something wrong?” he called, he’d been wondering why the leader of SG1 hadn’t shown for breakfast.

“The door won’t open,” Mitchell snarled, a thump signifying he was hitting it, “I’ve tried everything.”

Daniel grinned to himself, thankful he hadn’t got on Alisa’s bad side. He’d already seen Sam and Vala, Sam’s room had been so cold she had moved rooms only for the cold to follow her while Vala was woken up every half hour or so by lights and strange noises in her room, unable to leave until morning.

“Hang on,” Daniel called back and hit the door control, trying hard to hide his smile as the door slid open.

“I’m gonna kill that kid,” Mitchell yelled, marching out.

Daniel rolled his eyes and followed on behind, wanting to see this. He caught up with Mitchell and followed on, almost choking on his laughter when the door didn’t open and Mitchell walked straight into it.

“Dammit!!”

Daniel walked forward so the door was open and walked with the other man, waiting until the moment it hit him.

“Where the hell is she?” Mitchell turned to Daniel, realising he didn’t know.

“At breakfast she mentioned something about going to the gym,” Daniel said, amazed he managed to say it with a completely straight face.

-

“This is the dumbest idea you’ve ever had,” Alisa sighed as she lay on the mat, looking up to where Ronan towered above her.

“Learning to defend yourself is important,” he reminded her, “And it was your idea.”

Alisa shook her head, “My idea was for you to help me keep fit. I used to run with Ford and I wanted to continue along those lines.”

Ronan offered her his hand and pulled her to her feet, “We’ll try it again.”

“Oh joy,” Alisa groaned.

“You,” an incensed yell stopped them returning to their training, they turned to where Mitchell came storming through the doors – only after Daniel had opened them for him.

“Is something wrong, Colonel?” Alisa asked, oozing innocence.

“You know exactly what’s wrong,” he snapped at her, “And I want it stopped.”

“I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about,” Alisa replied, not blinking. She’d gone up against enough marines in her time on Atlantis so Mitchell didn’t frighten her especially as Ronan was standing beside her, “But whatever it is, I’m sure you deserved it.”

Mitchell glared at her fuming, “What you’ve done is dangerous...”

“Actually, Colonel,” Alisa cut him off, “Firstly, whatever has happened will be reversed the moment a situation arises and secondly, there are a lot of people on this base that can tamper with controls.”

“Tamper,” Mitchell started, stopping as Ronan stepped in front of Alisa.

“I suggest you move back,” the Satedan told him, “If Alisa says she’s innocent then she is innocent.”

Mitchell snorted, “Right,” he spun on his heel and marched out of the gym.

Daniel gave Alisa an amused grin before heading out after him. Alisa turned to the man standing at her side.

“Thanks, Ronan,” Alisa smiled at him, “For sticking up for me.”

Ronan rolled his eyes, “You’re about as innocent as Sheppard was when all of Carson’s bandages went missing.”

-

“McKay,” Sam called, making him look up to where she stood in the doorway to his lab, “Can I come in?”

“Ah, sure,” he nodded, before pointing at a strange shaped device sitting in the corner of the room, “Just stay away from that, it’s been acting strangely when people walk near it.”

“Okay,” Sam nodded, walking to the lab bench where he was sitting, “I wanted to talk to you before we left.”

“About?” Rodney asked, saving his work before pushing away his laptop.

Sam smiled, “You have one hell of a kid, McKay.”

A proud smile touched Rodney’s lips, “I know.”

“I mean it,” Sam laughed, “She managed to stop anything working for Cam, locked Vala in a room all night where alarms and lights went off every half hour or so, not to mention every room I tried to sleep in last night ended up below freezing.”

Rodney tried not to laugh out loud but couldn’t help it, “I am not punishing her.”

“I’m not suggesting it,” Sam told him, “Though you might want to keep her away from Colonel Mitchell. He is not happy.”

“I doubt I’ll lose sleep over that,” Rodney murmured.

“I just...” Sam trailed off for a second, “I just wanted to apologise to you and hopefully I’ll be able to apologise to Alisa.”

“Apologise?”

“I don’t know you, Rodney,” she continued, “And I had no idea what you had given up to raise your daughter. Though I’m curious where she went while you were in Russia.”

Rodney winced and Sam laughed.

“Of course,” Sam shook her head, “General O’Neill would never have let them send you away from your child. I get a feeling he likes her.”

Rodney nodded, “She made an impression.”

“You just have to try and treat others the way you treat her,” Sam told him before squeezing his shoulder, “Take care of this place, McKay.”

With a final smile she left.

-

Alisa wandered into the mess later that day, finding her father and his team sitting at their usual table talking and laughing.

“Look who it is,” John laughed, “The terror of Atlantis.”

“I didn’t do anything,” Alisa defended herself, turning to where Ronan snorted, “I didn’t.”

John rolled his eyes, “Right. I’d be watching my back when on Earth. Mitchell was not happy with you.”

“I did nothing,” Alisa defended herself again.

Teyla shook her head but smiled slightly, “No matter what was done or who did what, they are gone.”

“Good riddance,” Alisa murmured before amending, “Except Daniel, I liked him.”

“He was extremely charming,” Teyla agreed.

“Cute too,” Alisa grinned, receiving disapproving looks from John, Ronan and her father; “Seventeen,” she reminded them with an annoyed cry.

Before anyone else could say anything, Radek called Alisa over the comm.

“I’ve got to go,” Alisa told them, “Stuff to do,” she leaned over her father’s shoulder, “By the way thanks for the help you gave me on that little project yesterday, Dad.”

As she disappeared the three members of the team turned to Rodney.

“Project?” John asked, amusement in his voice.

Rodney rolled his eyes, “Do you really believe Alisa has that much knowledge of the city systems.”

“Yeah,” Ronan replied.

“She doesn’t,” Rodney told them, a proud smile covering his face, “At least not yet.”