Pretending von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Oh wow I am amazed about how well people received this.

Part Three coming soon.

Enjoy

*********************************************

He slid back around the corner after finding them together reminiscing. He had warned them that sending Miss Parker after McKay would be a mistake but with Jarod here as well then it was more than likely he would have to go to their back-up plan. Since they three were banding together they may learn about him then it was going to become necessary to take fatal action, he just hoped that within the next few months the Trust managed to take over the SGC as planned.

-

"Rodney," Elizabeth greeted her Head Scientist when he entered the briefing room, "Are you ready for your briefing?"

"Completely Elizabeth," Rodney grinned to her surprise, "This looks like it could be an interesting few months."

Elizabeth glanced at Sheppard who was sitting beside her; he simply shrugged at her not knowing what to make of Rodney's sudden change in attitude towards their new recruits.

"Then we should start this nightmare," Sheppard sighed, he stood up and looked down at his new recruits both military and scientific. Those who wanted places on teams he had to test to see what they could do, which meant some sort of training exercise.

He and Rodney walked down to the Gateroom waiting for Elizabeth to start her spiel.

"Welcome to Atlantis," Elizabeth started, "This is Major John Sheppard and Dr Rodney McKay; they will be putting you through your paces to see who gets a place on our SG teams. There are several challenges to go through and although I know many of you worked on the SG teams back on Earth we have slightly different requirements."

Sheppard stepped forward, "You'll be split into teams of four. Two scientists, two military and set a task. Dr McKay, myself as well as a group of others will be observing each team. So the teams are..."

-

Parker grimaced and glanced over at Jarod who grinned back at her, typically they ended up working in the same team. Looking over to where Rodney stood she saw a similar smirk on his face. She had enjoyed spending the night before talking with her two childhood friends, remembering the innocence all three had since lost. Rodney had changed a great deal, no longer as defensive as in the past now he knew his own brilliance and he had obviously gained a great deal of confidence around these people.

"Captain Parker," Jarod walked over to her followed by two others, "This is Dr Natasha Ellis and Lieutenant Waters."

Parker gave the others a curt nod, "Alright all we need now is our task."

"Which I have," Rodney's cheerful voice interrupted them, "All you need is to find the ZPM that's been hidden using the clues we've given you."

Parker rolled her eyes knowing Jarod would probably be able to get these within seconds but Rodney's smirk meant there was something he knew that they possibly didn't.

"Is that all?" Jarod asked suspicion in his voice also.

"That's all," Rodney grinned before he moved onto the next team.

"Does anyone feel that he's laughing at us?" Dr Ellis murmured as Parker and Jarod exchanged a glance.

*********************************************

Rodney was watching his friends with amusement. The task set was by most standards quite difficult but for Jarod it was far too easy. He was relieved that it had been Miss Parker sent after him, despite her hard faade Rodney knew she was a good person who cared for her friends with them both there Rodney didn't have to pretend about who he was.

"Why are you enjoying this so much?" Sheppard demanded as he watched over his own team.

"I like seeing what others can do," Rodney replied lightly.

Sheppard glared at him his eyes narrowed, this was getting annoying. Yesterday Rodney had been storming around like a bear with a sore head over the prospect of their new recruits and now he was practically giddy with amusement.

"Is there something you want to share with the class?" Sheppard asked.

"Really Major," Rodney said, "I thought we needed new people here."

With that said he disappeared to talk to Zelenka.

-

"Jarod, why don't you just use that annoyingly brilliant brain of yours to do this fast?" Parker snapped as they walked through the corridors of Atlantis just behind their team-mates.

"Because I don't want anyone to know what I am," he replied, "Rodney's worked hard to keep himself under the radar, I won't destroy that for him."

Parker rolled her eyes, "Typical."

"I think I've found something," Ellis called to them.

Parker sighed catching up, she really needed a cigarette. They entered the small room that seemed to have boxes and very little else excepting a door at the opposite side to where they stood.

Jarod felt the back of his neck prickle, something was wrong but he couldn't work out what. Glancing over he saw Parker looking just as unnerved as he was. Both Ellis and Waters were wandering around the room to see what they could find. As they moved to open the door at the other end of the room Jarod saw wires protruding from the doorframe.

"Don't," he yelled but it was too late.

The blast engulfed Ellis and Waters as Jarod grabbed Parker pulling her down, a wave of heat moved over the top of them as the room shook.

-

"Jarod, Parker," Rodney suddenly cried spinning back to his monitor finding it blank. Rodney started to run panic filling him ignoring as Sheppard called to him, something had happened and he had no illusions that it wasn't something bad. He skidded to a halt when he found several people at the door trying to open it.

"What happened?" he demanded.

"It seems to have been a bomb," Ford appeared from within the crowd, "We don't have any other information."

Rodney moved and placed his hand on the door, there was some heat but he was sure the fire was out by now. There were two dead within the room but he couldn't say if Jarod and Parker were among them.

"McKay," Sheppard caught up with him, "What the hell...."

"Bomb sir," Ford cut off his rant, "We'll be in there in a few moments."

"Bomb?" Sheppard demanded before he turned to Rodney who was standing nervously rubbing his hands together, "You knew."

"Don't be ridiculous Major," Rodney replied sharply, "I saw my screen go blank and realised something had happened."

"You're lying McKay," Sheppard snapped, the strange feeling that had been plaguing him getting the better of him, "You were nowhere near the monitor."

"Sir," Ford intervened, "The door's about to be opened."

Sheppard turned away from Rodney helping the team open the door noting the arrival of Beckett and his team. Rodney found he was holding his breath waiting to find out what had happened to his friends.

-

Jarod groaned ringing in his ears echoing through his skull.

"Parker?" he murmured,

"Get off me," she snapped, wincing at her own voice.

"I would if I could move," he sighed, "I think there's something on me."

Before she could reply they heard a scraping and light flooded the room, voices surrounded them.

"Let's get this off them," a man shouted.

"Let me in," another man called, he had a distinctive Scottish accent.

Jarod tried to concentrate on what was happening around him but soon the pain overwhelmed him and he slipped into unconsciousness.

*********************************************

Parker groaned as she woke up her head felt like someone had been using it for a punching bag.

"Hey Parker," Rodney said from her side, "How'd you feel?"

"I don't even want to start," she muttered annoyed, "Where's Jarod?"

"Sleeping," Rodney nodded to the bed beside hers, "He saved your life."

"And he'll remind me of it constantly," she sighed, "Water."

Rodney picked up the small cup beside her and placed the straw to her mouth allowing her to sip the cool liquid.

"The doctor said you'll be fine," Rodney explained placing the cup back on the table, "Just a few bumps and bruises."

"And what's your diagnosis?" Parker murmured smiling as she saw his ears pinken in embarrassment.

"Exactly the same," he muttered after glancing around making sure no one else was close enough to hear, "Please don't do that to me."

Parker sighed amused squeezing his hand, "What about Jarod?"

Rodney grimaced, "Thankfully just a sprained wrist and ankle, he should be up and about pretty soon."

"I knew coming here was a bad idea," Parker snapped.

"Because seeing us again brought back happy memories," Rodney stated softly, "Or because it made you remember who you are?"

She glared at him before sighing and closing her eyes.

"I have to go," Rodney told her, "I'll come back later."

"Do that," she snapped turning over to rest.

-

Rodney left her alone checking quickly on the sleeping form of Jarod letting himself relax for a moment knowing they were both safe. Now he had to face the others and Sheppard was getting suspicious of Rodney which was worrying especially when there was nowhere to run to like there was on Earth.

You could always tell them, he thought to himself dismissing it instantly. They wouldn't understand, nobody did other than the two people in that room. You can't trust anyone Rodney reminded himself as he remembered the betrayal of his family, he couldn't trust anyone else no matter how much he wanted to.

"Did you find out anything about the bomb?" he asked the moment he entered the briefing room.

"The team is working on it," Elizabeth informed him.

"How are the patients?" Sheppard asked sharply from his seat.

"Carson said they'll be fine," Rodney reported, "Not the best hello to get."

"Are you going to tell me how you knew?" Sheppard stood up to face Rodney.

"As I have already told you Major," Rodney defended himself, "I noticed that my screen had become blank."

"Sit down both of you," Elizabeth snapped before Sheppard could reply, "I do not need you arguing while we are trying to find out who set that bomb. I also wish to know who the targets were."

"The two who survived the bomb are friends of yours," Sheppard turned back to Rodney, "Right?"

"I've met them before," Rodney replied, "I worked with Dr Starr when I was in Russia and Captain Parker is the daughter of a friend of my parents."

"Do you think there would be anyone with a grudge against either of them?" Sheppard asked still not convinced.

Rodney shrugged, "I haven't seen either of them in a long time I don't know. Besides how do we know it was aimed at them? The two who died may have been the targets."

"Sergeant Bates is working on it," Elizabeth interrupted them again, "I need you Rodney to check over all the results and Major Sheppard I want you to go through the list of new recruits to see if any one of them could have done this."

"What about people already here?" Rodney asked making both Elizabeth and Sheppard stare at him shocked.

"You think one of the people who we've worked with this past year could have done this?" Elizabeth asked shocked.

"I didn't say that," Rodney replied, "But we've seen a lot of things happen. Some sort of breakdown or mind control...I don't know I'm just saying we shouldn't focus all our attention on the new people."

Elizabeth nodded, "He's right. Get to work everyone."

*********************************************

Jarod opened his eyes surprised to find Parker on the bed across from him looking back at him, "Not who I expected to see."

"Be thankful you're seeing anything," Parker replied as she turned to stare at the ceiling.

"Well it's good to see you awake," the voice from just before he'd passed out said as a man appeared, "How d'you feel?"

"Sore," Jarod admitted.

"I'm not surprised," the doctor told him, "You have a sprained wrist and sprained ankle but you'll be fine. You saved her life."

Jarod saw Parker grimace as he smiled, "So you owe me one."

"Don't expect a parade," Parker told him sarcastically.

The doctor laughed, "Now you both need to rest and I'll release you in a few hours."

"Thank you..."

"Dr Beckett," he told them, "Now rest."

As the doctor moved away to check on some other patients Jarod turned back to Parker, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Jarod," Parker told him with a slight smile, "Rodney confirmed the doc's diagnosis it's just a few bumps and cuts. You got the worst of it."

"Well I couldn't have my Hunter hurt," Jarod grinned, "Makes things less fun."

Parker rolled her eyes, "And I thought the Centre had the monopoly on insanity."

-

Rodney entered the infirmary running into Carson who was checking on patients.

"Hey," he greeted his friend, "How are they?"

"Hopefully both resting," Carson said, "But if they're not I'll allow them out as long as they both rest in their quarters."

"I'll take them," Rodney promised with a slight smile, "Thanks Carson."

"No problem," Carson replied absently returning to his work.

Rodney walked over to where Jarod and Miss Parker were still throwing insults at each other standing waiting until they noticed him.

"Hi," he grinned when they turned to him, "Carson said you are allowed out but only if you rest in your bunks."

"Finally," Parker snapped before looking down a t the hospital gown she was wearing, "Some clothes would be nice."

At her sharp voice Rodney jumped away to get her something to wear making her smile slightly. Once he returned she pulled the curtain round dressing quickly before the three of them walked slowly or in Jarod's case hopped using crutches through the corridors.

The moment they reached Jarod's room which was closest Rodney herded them in making sure the door was locked before he said anything.

"It looks like someone isn't too pleased to have you two here," he stated pacing as Jarod sat on the bed leaning against the pillows his leg resting on a cushion Parker placed for him.

"What about the people investigating the explosion?" Jarod asked.

"We're investigating everyone," Rodney sank into a seat, "I hate having to suspect people I've been working with for so long but it can't be any of the new people. None of them had that kind of access."

"We managed to get to your lab," Parker reminded him, "And we weren't supposed to be near anything like that."

"Yes but the test area was guarded all night," Rodney told her, "The only people who could get past the guards would be someone they knew."

"Any ideas who would want us dead?" Parker's sarcasm made both men grimace at her.

"Oh while I remember I had to tell Dr Weir and Major Sheppard that I was already acquainted with both of you," Rodney told them, "Jarod we worked together in Russia, I've already hacked into your files so you don't have to and Parker," he gave a sardonic grin, "I said your parents were friends of mine which wasn't even a lie."

Jarod and Parker shared a quick glance as they noticed the anger blaze in Rodney's eyes for a second; they both knew how much Rodney despised his parents for what they had done to him.

"We're renewing old friendships then," Parker shrugged before she glanced at Jarod, "Did you say we knew each other?"

Rodney shook his head, "But experiences like that are what usually bring people together. No one will argue against us all spending time together if you're both friends of mine separately and friends through being caught up in an explosion."

"Especially if we're assigned to work with you," Jarod added, he frowned in thought glancing at Parker, "What is down as her speciality?"

"Languages," Rodney grinned, "Which is not too far from the truth."

"I speak a few," Parker reminded Jarod, "And with you two geniuses to help I should be able to pull it off."

-

Sheppard paced the balcony not sure what it was that was bugging him but something about Rodney and his new friends just nagged at him. There was something going on and he was going to find out what.

"Sir," Ford came onto the balcony.

"What did you find out?" Sheppard asked.

"Everything Dr McKay told you," Ford shrugged, "May I ask sir why you wanted me to find this?"

"You can ask but I'm not going to answer," Sheppard replied absently while he flipped through the files, "You're dismissed."

Ford nodded confused leaving the Major alone. Sheppard ignored him continuing to read.

There was more going on than Rodney was telling him and he was determined to find out what.