Pretending von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing as always, you're the best.

Thanks to everyone who has reviewed this and I hope you enjoy the final part.

Before anyone asks I may do a sequel but at the moment I only have a teeny tiny idea for it so I doubt it will materialise soon.

Anyway enjoy.

*********************************************

"Stop it," Jarod waved Parker away as she tried to help him, "I can do it."

Parker rolled her eyes and stepped back crossing her arms across her chest allowing him to try to get up from the bed to the wheelchair Beckett had waiting. Jarod turned accidentally leaning on his injured side giving a slight whimper of pain he collapsed back onto the bed; despite Beckett using the healing machine on him the wound was still exceedingly tender.

"So Wonder Boy," she said sarcastically, "Are you there yet?"

Jarod groaned and sighed, "Alright."

"Alright what?" she asked perfectly innocent.

Jarod locked his jaw drawing out the words as though they were the nastiest things he'd ever have to say, "Can you help me?"

Parker grinned, her dark brown eyes sparkling, "What was that Jarod, I didn't quite hear you?"

"Can you help me please?" he asked again louder making her grin even more in triumph.

"All you had to do was ask," she replied sweetly slipping her arm around him.

Jarod muttered under his breath masking it with a slight hiss of pain that came from sitting upright. He couldn't help but smile though as she gently helped him to the wheelchair, he had always known she was a good person but sometimes she hid it well.

"So how's the patient?" Rodney asked as he arrived.

"Grouchy," Parker replied keeping her face perfectly straight.

"Well the Gate opens in under an hour so you two have time to get your things together," Rodney told them looking depressed for a second before covering it, "Come on."

"Rodney you drive," Jarod said as Parker moved to take control of the wheelchair.

"You don't trust me?" Parker asked seeing Rodney try to hide his grin.

"I've seen you drive," Jarod replied with a grimace.

She rolled her eyes, "You're such a baby," she took the handles of the wheelchair and started for the door Rodney walking at her side.

-

Jones paced his cell frustrated.

Damn Pretenders, damn Parker, he fumed. They were sending him back to Earth thankfully so he would be able to make a proper report to the Centre, the Triumberate would hear about Parker's defection and he would happily take the job of executing her for them.

He started to wonder if they would allow him back and was glad he'd set up a message for the Centre to be sent automatically if he didn't deactivate it before the Gate was opened to Earth. He detailed that Parker had betrayed them instead of working with him. Even if he didn't make it back, she'd be dead within the week of returning.

*********************************************

Silence descended as they moved along the corridors closer to Jarod's quarters. The three of them had spent a long time secluded from others because of who they were and the past that chased them no matter where they went, being here together they had for the first time since they were children felt properly connected.

"What's the arrangement for when we get back?" Jarod asked Parker when they entered his room to finish his packing, "Are you going to try and take me to the Centre instantly or do I get a ten second head start?"

"That's not fair," Parker snapped at him, "I have no choice."

"Really?" sarcasm filled Jarod's voice, "Every time you try to shoot me it seems like a clear cut choice."

Parker leaned down so she was facing him, "If I wanted to actually kill you Jarod," she told him in a dangerous whisper, "I would have. A long time ago," she moved turning away from him with a sigh before turning back to him, "The Centre controls my life just as much as it controlled yours. I want out too but the one time I tried..." she trailed off as tears threatened her.

"They killed Thomas," Jarod whispered, he caught her arm when she came close enough to him, "I'm sorry," he pulled her down to him and held her tightly as she tried to regain her control.

Rodney allowed them both a moment to regain their composure, "Major Sheppard is in control of who goes through the Gate and Jarod will be going through with the first group. Once there he'll be instantly transferred to a hospital where he can easily escape."

"When do I leave?" Parker asked.

"Last group," Rodney told her, "Gives plenty of time for Jarod to be gone so you don't have to compromise yourself."

-

Sheppard sat in the control room with Elizabeth going over the schedule for returning those that were going back to Earth and the new recruits training.

"Are we going to have to go through this every three months?" he demanded, "I mean...it's boring as hell."

Elizabeth laughed, "I know what you mean but we're in charge so it's our burden."

"Have you spoken to McKay recently?" John broached wanting to make sure that she hadn't twigged that their top scientist wasn't what he said he was.

"Not really," Elizabeth shrugged, "He doesn't seem happy about his friends leaving though, I did notice that."

Sheppard forced out a laugh, "They managed to put up with him and meant I didn't have to, I'm going to miss them."

Elizabeth grinned at him before turning back to her list.

"What?" he demanded suspiciously.

"Nothing," she replied innocently.

Sheppard frowned, "What?"

"I was just thinking," she shrugged laughing at his confused expression, "How I never would have seen you and Rodney as friends back on Earth."

"And you think we're friends?" he demanded

"Give it up John;" Elizabeth laughed again, "You two are friends and what's even funnier is you both try to pretend you're not.

He rolled his eyes at her refusing to answer especially since he knew it was completely true. What was stranger still was that how protective he felt towards the other man especially now that he knew Rodney's secret.

Sheppard shrugged, "Where would the fun be in that?"

-

Rodney stared out across the ocean aware of someone else joining him on the balcony, he smiled as two arms wrapped around his waist and a gentle kiss was placed on his cheek.

"Are you going to be alright?" Parker asked as she moved to stand beside him.

"I was more worried about you," Rodney told her, "How are you going to explain why you didn't manage to get me back?"

She shrugged, "I'll think of something."

"And Jarod?" Rodney moved so he was looking at her, "What about him?"

Parker laughed, "Jarod has managed to avoid capture for a long time, he should be able to slip away before I can get to him."

Rodney moved and hugged her tightly, "I'm going to miss you."

Parker smiled as she rested in his embrace, "I'll miss you too but you never know maybe one day I'll find a way back."

A cough made them turn to find Sheppard and Jarod at the door waiting for them.

"Twenty minutes to go," Sheppard told them, "Are you ready to leave?"

"As I'll ever be," Parker replied looking at Jarod, "You?"

Jarod shrugged, "I guess, I still have to find my family."

"I'll give you guys a few minutes alone," Sheppard told them, he moved to leave before stopping, "Before I go," Sheppard said turning to Parker, "What's your first name? I've checked all the files and all I could find was 'Miss'"

Both Pretenders laughed amused.

"Yes Parker tell him," Rodney grinned.

Parker rolled her eyes at him before turning back to the Major, "It is 'Miss'."

Sheppard frowned in confusion, "Huh?"

Jarod and Rodney were both chewing the inside of their mouth to stop laughing as Parker shrugged.

"My name is Millicent," she grimaced, "So I shortened it, 'Mi' from Milli and then 's' from cent. Would you want a name like that?"

"Guess not," Sheppard looked confused.

"Be honoured," Jarod told him, "She hardly tells anyone that," he grinned as Sheppard left them alone.

-

"So," Rodney started looking sad, "I guess this is it."

"Yeah," Jarod sighed looking at his friends.

"Come here," Parker moved to Rodney and hugging him tightly before turning to Jarod, "You have been a pain in my ass for a long time Jarod but I would not give up these past few months for anything."

"Neither would I," he replied taking her hand and pulling her down to him. Their arms locked around one another as they knew the next time they saw one another they would be back as Hunter and Hunted.

Jarod pulled back resting his hand on her cheek, "Maybe one day," he told her making her smile.

Parker stood and smiled at them both, "I'll let you two say your goodbyes," she gave Rodney a gentle kiss before moving and giving Jarod a different kind of kiss, "I love you both, my guys."

She turned and left them alone. Rodney helped Jarod stand and they both leaned against the balcony looking out across the ocean.

"Maybe one day," Rodney told him, "You guys won't be locked in the game of cat and mouse."

Jarod sighed turning to look at his fellow Pretender wincing slightly at the pain, "Will you be alright Rodney?"

Rodney smiled, "Now John and Radek know what I really am I think I'll be fine."

"I'm not trying to make you feel bad," Jarod said with a frown, "But what if...I mean...what will you do if Dr Weir finds out. What if everyone else finds out?"

Rodney shrugged, "Cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm going to be fine Jarod, I promise. Can you assure me the same for you?"

Jarod nodded, "I'll be fine. I know exactly where to go once I get back."

The two Pretenders embraced both fighting back the feelings of loss.

"Make sure you keep an eye on her?" Rodney told him, "And...give her the gift."

Jarod nodded, "Help me back."

Rodney moved his friend back to the waiting wheelchair, after settling Jarod in he took the handles wheeling his fellow Pretender to the Gateroom.

-

"Stargate Command this is Atlantis," Elizabeth called as the Gate opened.

"Good to hear from you Elizabeth," Daniel Jackson answered, "Jack will be here as soon as possible."

"We're sending several people back," Elizabeth told him, "Dr Starr is being sent back also as he's been injured and we don't have the best facilities for him."

"Is he alright?" Daniel asked worried.

"Dr Beckett has assured me he'll be fine," Elizabeth told him, "But it's better for him on Earth."

"The infirmary is ready," Jack took over, "Anytime you're ready send them."

Elizabeth turned to the group waiting, "You have a go, thank you for everything."

With that said the first team started to move through the Gate, Jarod was sitting in his chair he'd be the last to go with that group. Before he started to move Jarod turned to Rodney who clasped Jarod's hand resting his other hand on his friend's shoulder. Jarod glanced back and caught Parker's eye, she gave him a quick smile before he disappeared through the event horizon.

As the first group went through Elizabeth explained the situation with Jones to Jack over a secure line watching as the prisoner was brought by Ford and Bates.

"Send him through," Elizabeth ordered.

Jones was moved to the Stargate by Ford and Bates as he passed Rodney he made a desperate bid for a gun. Since no one was expecting it Jones succeeded grabbing Rodney by the back of his collar pulling him in front of Jones jamming the gun into his lower back.

"Time to go home," Jones told Rodney pulling him back to the open wormhole.

"Jones," Sheppard yelled, "Let him go."

"Why are you putting your lives in the hands of this impostor?" Jones snapped, "I'm doing you a favour."

"You'll not even get as far as the Gateroom on Earth," Sheppard told him.

"Try me," Jones told him, "Either we go through the Gate together or I kill him. Take your choice."

Rodney flicked a glance at Parker who was looking on panicked that she had no way to help before he turned to Sheppard and nodded.

"I choose," Rodney spoke up, "To stay," he threw himself to one side as Sheppard fired.

Jones fell to the ground; the bullet had hit him in the heart. As Sheppard, Ford and Bates checked he was dead Parker moved to Rodney.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Rodney nodded, "I'm fine," he turned to Sheppard, "Thank you."

"We'll check the score later," Sheppard offered him his hand pulling Rodney back to his feet.

-

Rodney sat on the balcony watching the sunset. Once Elizabeth had explained to Jack O'Neill that everything was alright but there was now no prisoner just a body the rest of the travellers were allowed to head back to Earth.

Parker had given him one last smile before she had left and he was back to being the only Centre survivor left on Atlantis.

"Are we disturbing you?" Sheppard's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Yes," Rodney replied sharply, looking up to find Sheppard and Zelenka standing with mugs he smiled, "On the other hand no grab a seat."

Zelenka laughed, "I take it then when there are others around you will be the annoying ass you usually are?"

"I can't exactly stop without arousing suspicion now can I?" Rodney rolled his eyes smiling as Sheppard handed him a mug of coffee, "But at least I can relax a little more now."

Zelenka laughed, "Just continue to be careful Rodney, even around us there may be someone around the corner you cannot see."

"He has a good point," Sheppard added.

"And I've been doing this long enough," Rodney told them, "That you don't have to worry."

"You are missing the others already," Zelenka noted taking a sip of his own coffee.

A small smile touched Rodney's face," Yeah and I'm worried how Parker will get out of not having brought me back."

"From what I saw of her," Sheppard grinned, "It's more than likely she shall," Zelenka and Rodney laughed as Sheppard raised his mug, "To Jarod and Parker."

"To Jarod and Parker," Zelenka also lifted his mug to the toast.

Rodney smiled, "My friends, my family," he added his mug to theirs, "Jarod and Parker."

*********************************************

Parker stood in her father's office her face set as she listened to the transmission Jones had somehow managed to send telling them that she had defected.

"Angel," her father said as her brother, Raines and the Triumberate's representative all waited, "What have you to say?"

Parker let out a sharp laugh, "If that idiot Jones hadn't decided to work against me," she snapped, "I would have had not only Rodney but Jarod back here as well."

"Are you sure about that?" Lyle asked.

She sighed with annoyance, "I worked hard to get them to trust me Daddy. I would have been able to talk them both into coming back if Raine's monkey hadn't kept trying to kill us. His stupidity cost the Centre two of its assets and his own life."

The Triumberate's representative nodded, "You did your job Miss Parker, it is time for you to return to your pursuit of Jarod."

Parker nodded, "I checked the hospital he was sent to but he had managed to leave before I got there. However being Jarod he takes great delight in annoying me so I'll have a trail to follow soon enough."

Her father placed his arm around her shoulder's gently kissing her forehead, "It's good to have you back Angel, now go home and get some rest. We'll see you tomorrow."

-

Parker smiled as she entered her house, it felt good to be home finally but sadness filled her at the silence of the place. Ordering herself some food she changed into comfortable sweats, settling down to an old movie with a glass of wine and her dinner she wasn't surprised when the phone rang.

"Hello Jarod," she answered her voice soft.

"Glad to hear you made it home alright," Jarod told her a smile in his voice, "Any problems?"

"No," she sighed, "What about you?"

"I'm getting a little sun," he told her with a laugh, "Far away from the ocean."

Parker laughed sipping her wine, "Not giving me a proper location?"

"Do you miss it?" Jarod asked ignoring her question.

Parker sighed, "I miss him. God, how screwed up are our lives?"

"Maybe one day we'll be back together," Jarod told her, "But until that happens I've left a little present for you under your couch."

With that he hung up. Parker placed her plate and glass onto the table before leaning down to find the box sitting under the couch. It was rectangular wrapped in a gold ribbon and she slowly undid the wrapping. As she lifted the lid a smile covered her face when she saw the picture of the three of them arms wrapped around one another smiles lighting up their eyes. Beneath the framed photograph she found a note.

Parker,

May this remind you of those who love you.

Maybe one day you'll be with us again.

From your 'guys'

Jarod and Rodney.


Parker laughed and fixed the note in the frame behind the picture before placing it on her table. Taking her glass she toasted the picture.

"Maybe one day."