Pretending von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:-Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed, hope you all enjoy this part. One more to go.

*********************************************

Rodney stared disbelieving at the man holding him at gunpoint, jumping as Zelenka suddenly pitched forward, the gun clattering to the ground.

"Rodney," Zelenka sighed relief in his voice, "Thank God it is you."

Stunned Rodney caught the man, resting him gently on the ground. As he placed Zelenka down he went to grab his radio and saw the blood covering his hand. Gently rolling his friend over Rodney saw the large bloodstain on the back of Zelenka's shirt growing larger with each second. Pulling off his own jacket Rodney ripped it getting ready to press it to the wound; he'd been a paramedic not long after he left the Centre. Checking the wound he sighed in relief to find it wasn't as bad as it had first appeared to be.

"Radek," Rodney called softly to his friend whose eyes were slightly unfocused, "What happened?"

"I...I...I realised I was getting some strange readings," Zelenka gasped in pain as Rodney cleaned the wound, "I returned to this room...argh..."

"Sorry," Rodney apologised, "Go on."

"He was here fixing the bomb," Zelenka told him, "He...when he saw me...I...I tried to get away as he aimed at me but I was not fast enough."

"Well luckily he's a dreadful shot," Rodney noted, "He missed all major arteries and organs," he frowned as he finished fixing the dressing on the other scientist, "Okay there you go."

Zelenka grimaced as Rodney helped him to his feet, "Thank you Rodney."

"No problem," he sighed before glancing at the bomb, "So who is he?"

"Jones," Zelenka told him leaning against the wall, "He's the one who has been after you."

"How could I not know that," Rodney snapped to the room, "How could I..." he trailed off and turned to Zelenka worriedly, "What do you mean after me?"

Zelenka gave a weak laugh and Rodney made him sit, "You are far too good at everything Rodney. You are...what is the English term...ah yes a 'Human Chameleon'."

Rodney stared in astonishment, "What do you know about Pretenders?"

"Of course Pretender that was the term used," Zelenka smiled softly, "I worked with a man once who was involved in a project back in America that had several Pretenders. He told me all about them and how he wanted to help save them but I discovered several months later he had died in a car accident."

Rodney stared at him, "Sounds like something the Centre would do," he grabbed his radio, "Major?"

"What's up?" Sheppard answered the call instantly.

"I found a bomb and an injured Zelenka," Rodney told him, "Dr Jones is the traitor, be careful."

"Can you defuse it?" Sheppard asked.

"Easily," Rodney replied, "We'll do that then come join up with you. Be careful."

"You too," Sheppard replied before the radio went silent.

"Okay," Rodney took a deep breath, "Let's fix this."

*********************************************

"Anything?" Elizabeth asked Grodin as she paced.

"I still can't reach them," he replied, "And I have no explanation for it yet."

"What about Carson and those with him?" Elizabeth asked thoughtfully, "Have you tried contacting them?"

"No Ma'am," he frowned looking a little embarrassed that he hadn't thought of it, "I'll do that now. Dr Beckett?"

"Beckett here," Carson's distinctive voice came back to them, "What have Rodney and Major Sheppard done now?"

"Nothing that we know of," Elizabeth took over, "Carson, we can't contact them or Captain Haines team."

"I'll try," Carson told her, "We'll head back as well in case I'm needed."

"That's a good idea Doctor," Elizabeth told her, "Tell Lieutenant Ford to be ready to lead the team after them."

"I will," Carson replied, "I'll be in touch if I manage to talk to them."

"Thank you Carson," Elizabeth sighed.

-

Sheppard walked slowly through the corridors with Parker and Jarod both looking worried as they moved silently behind him. They'd all heard the annoyance in Rodney's voice as he told them who the traitor was; Jones had been a member of Rodney's team since Antarctica, Rodney trusted him with a lot of projects.

"When I get my hands on Jones," Sheppard muttered not realising he'd said it aloud.

"You'll have to wait your turn," Parker told him as Jarod nodded in agreement his face grim.

"Major Sheppard?" Carson's voice sounded suddenly over the radio, "Can you hear me?"

"You almost deafened me Doc," Sheppard told him, "What's up?"

"Dr Weir has been trying to get in touch with you for a while," Carson told him, "Are you alright?"

"Captain Haines' team has been attacked by one of their own," Sheppard explained, "We're on our way now to help them. You'd better inform Elizabeth. Also Dr Zelenka has been injured but Rodney says he's okay for the moment."

"We'll be there soon," Carson told him, "Be careful."

"Don't worry about us Doc," Sheppard told him, "Just hurry up and get here."

Sheppard turned to Jarod, "You can be a doctor if need be?"

Jarod nodded, "Of course."

"That's a good thing," Sheppard murmured as he moved to open the door.

-

Zelenka watched as Rodney expertly disassembled the bomb before placing it into his pack.

"What are you doing that for?" Zelenka asked.

"You never know when it could come in handy," Rodney told him before turning to look at him properly, "Are you sure you can manage this?"

Zelenka nodded, "I would prefer to come than stay. In case Jones returns and decides to finish what he started."

Rodney nodded, "Let's go.

Zelenka followed Rodney out and along the corridor watching his friend intently as they headed to meet up with Sheppard.

"What?" Rodney demanded when he glanced back to find Zelenka watching him.

"You are truly different from the way you usually act," Zelenka pointed out.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Rodney dismissed his point quickly.

Zelenka laughed, "You act so arrogant, so annoying that you push everyone away but it is for protection. Isn't it?"

Rodney grimaced, "Just drop it Radek."

"I always wondered why someone so brilliant was so bad with people," Zelenka ignored him, "Especially considering you are supposed to be able to become anyone you want to be."

Rodney opened his mouth to protest but Zelenka cut him off.

"Then again," Zelenka continued, "Your friendship with the Major never added up although neither does your friendship with Dr Starr and Captain Parker."

Rodney sighed and stopped walking turning to the other scientist, "Alright. I am a Pretender and most of my attitude comes from the fact that I can't let people close to me in case they discover who I truly am and the fact I don't have a PhD. I live a lie every day. I don't know why I allowed myself to become friends with Sheppard but it happened as for Parker and Jarod..." he trailed off realising he was about to betray who they really were as well.

"I'm sorry," Zelenka told him.

Rodney sighed, "No I am. Look, I've been hiding for years and now Jones wants to destroy that. I'm a little on edge."

"Does anyone else from Atlantis know what you really are?" Zelenka asked.

"The Major," Rodney answered quietly, "Just you and him."

Zelenka patted Rodney's shoulder, "Between us we can make sure no one else discovers your secret."

"Thank you," Rodney sighed before straightening, "Let's go get Jones so I can relax again."

*********************************************

Haines was lying completely still as was Lieutenant Ward when Sheppard entered the room Jarod and Parker not that far behind him.

"Haines?" he dropped down to check her relieved to find she was still breathing just unconscious, "She's alive," he called to Jarod who was checking Ward.

"So is he," Jarod replied, "Appears he was hit from behind and knocked unconscious. They will have one hell of a headache and possibly a concussion."

"Well it's better than being shot at," Rodney said as he appeared followed by Zelenka, "Radek sit down."

Zelenka slid to a seat watching in interest as Rodney scanned the room.

"Anything?" Parker asked watching him.

"He's close," Rodney breathed his spine stiff, his eyes narrowed turning to the unconscious pair lying on the ground, "We need to get them out of here."

Sheppard nodded, he and Parker moved Haines into the room next door while Rodney and Jarod moved Ward. They returned to the room finding Zelenka standing his hands in the air.

The four of them turned to find Jones standing a gun trained on them.

"Well," he mused, "This was easier than I expected."

-

"You," Rodney glared anger filling him.

Jones laughed, "And I thought you were the Pretender Rodney. It looks like I may have the gift myself."

"This is stupid," Rodney told him as Parker and Jarod moved to his side, "Do you think you're going to get out of this?"

Jones laughed, "That the unstable Captain Parker who set up a bomb that almost killed her went crazy killing her own team before coming after mine. I was injured but unfortunately the only survivor."

"It's too late," Jarod told him, "They already know you attacked Captain Haines and her team."

"Considering I fixed it so the radios would only work between the teams, "Jones laughed, "That's quite a feat."

"Then you made a huge mistake," Jarod continued, "Dr. Beckett was able to contact us and he's called Dr Weir."

Jones moved the gun so it was aiming at Jarod, "The only reason I spared your life this long is because you're such an important resource to the Centre but Mr Raines would prefer you dead than running around."

"And what about me?" Parker asked her dark eyes flashing.

"Ah yes," Jones grinned, "The great Miss Parker, one of the Centre top trackers. Yet despite being sent to retrieve the Pretender you decide to bond with them."

"I do things my way," Parker told him.

Jones aimed at her, "Not anymore Miss Parker, things are being done my way now."

As he fired Jarod grabbed Parker throwing her out of the road taking her place, he cried out as the bullet ripped through his chest sending him flying back.

"Jarod," Parker cried falling down beside him to stem the bleeding, "Jarod stay with me."

Jones was laughing as Rodney moved to him he aimed at the other Pretender, "Did you not get the message McKay. I will shoot you."

"Hey," Zelenka called tossing the bag Rodney had placed the bomb in at him.

Jones flinched giving Rodney the chance to grab the gun off him. With hatred burning in him Rodney pointed the gun at Jones head forcing the man back against the wall.

"Let's see how you like being the victim," he snarled.

-

"Are you ready?" Elizabeth asked as she watched Carson.

Carson nodded, "We're ready. We more than likely won't be able to contact you until we get back or Peter fixes the radios."

"Then be careful," she told him watching as Carson, Ford, Teyla and three Marines headed into the depths of Atlantis.

Carson was worried, Rodney McKay and John Sheppard were like magnets for trouble finding it wherever they went even if they were in Atlantis. He hoped that they were at least safe, one thing he hated was having to be a doctor to his friends no matter how irritating or accident prone they were.

-

"McKay," Sheppard snapped as Rodney held Jones at gunpoint, "Step down."

"Not an order I'm following Major," Rodney told him the gun unwavering pointed at Jones head.

Sheppard glanced down to where Parker and Zelenka were trying to stop the bleeding coming from Jarod's wound.

"You do this," Sheppard said softly, "You become like him."

"I'm a Pretender," Rodney replied darkly, "It's what I do."

Sheppard turned to Parker asking for her help, she motioned him to take her place.

"Rodney," she said softly as she moved towards him, "Don't do this. I know you, I know the real you and I know you can't shoot him."

"He's tried to kill all three of us several times," Rodney reminded her, "I do this and our problems are gone."

"You kill him," Parker replied, "And you become what Raines wants. Dammit Rodney you know this. Give me the gun and help Jarod."

Rodney glared at Jones who was tensed waiting for a gunshot; he relaxed as Rodney moved the gun back before crumbling to the ground when Rodney smacked the gun across his forehead knocking him unconscious.

Parker took the gun squeezing his arm as he ran to his friend and slipped into Doctor Mode.

"Major?" Carson's worried voice called over the radio, "We're coming."

Sheppard turned to where Rodney was helping Jarod, "We have two possible concussions, one serious gunshot wound and one not so serious gunshot wound."

"We'll be there soon," Carson promised.

*********************************************

Rodney stood waiting for Carson to finish with Jarod; Parker was pacing nearby anxiety written all over her face. Jones was now in a cell while Sheppard and Zelenka were making their report to Weir.

"Carson?" Rodney asked when the Doctor appeared.

"He's fine," Carson smiled, "The bullet missed everything vital, just like it did with Zelenka."

"Thank God," Rodney sighed squeezing Parker's arm, "Can we see him?"

"Of course," Carson smiled, "Just don't be too long."

"We promise," Parker told him before she dragged Rodney to Jarod's bedside.

They each took a seat waiting for their friend to wake up. Both were thinking about what happened now, the Stargate would be opened to Earth again in less than a week.

"You know we both have to leave," Parker said breaking the silence.

"I know," Rodney whispered his eyes not leaving Jarod's face.

"You're not alone Rodney," Parker made him turn to her, "You have friends, friends who are willing to protect you and your secret."

"They shouldn't have to," Rodney whispered before pulling her into a tight hug, "I'm going to miss you guys so much. I might even get some work done."

Parker laughed swatting him lightly as Jarod groaned, announcing he was waking up. Rodney gave Parker a quick kiss on the cheek before they both turned to check on their friend.

-

"What happened?" Elizabeth demanded.

Sheppard and Zelenka exchanged a quick look before Sheppard took the floor.

"Dr Jones seems to have created some elaborate fantasy surrounding Rodney, Dr Starr and Captain Parker," he told her, "He believes that Rodney and Starr are some kind of Human Chameleon who can just read a book about say medicine and suddenly they're a doctor."

Elizabeth stared at him, "That's..."

"Preposterous," Zelenka nodded his agreement, "He believes that he was sent to bring Rodney back to some sort of organisation on Earth that needs his abilities."

"Where does Captain Parker fit into this?" Elizabeth asked.

Sheppard shrugged, "From what I could guess she's meant to work for these people too. He turned on her because she became good friends with the guys they were supposed to be after."

Elizabeth shook her head in annoyance, "How could we not see this? How could we let him get so far?"

"We couldn't have known this Elizabeth," Sheppard reminded her, "No one can know what goes on inside somebody else's head."

"Any suggestions?" she asked feeling angry that she could have lost her friend without realising he was in danger.

"We send him back to Earth," Sheppard replied, "They have the resources to deal with him, we don't."

"I agree," Elizabeth frowned, "How's Rodney dealing with this?"

Sheppard shrugged, "He's dealing. It might not be too great considering Captain Parker is due back on Earth when we reopen the Stargate and Carson feels Dr Starr should be sent back as well to recuperate properly."

Elizabeth sighed for her friend before nodding and dismissing the two men.

-

Sheppard and Zelenka walked away from her office in silence until they were far along the corridors.

"So," Zelenka said.

"So what?" Sheppard asked him.

"What are you going to do now that you know who Rodney truly is?" Zelenka asked stopping and turning to him crossing his arms.

Sheppard frowned, "I don't know. I should tell Elizabeth, he doesn't have the qualifications he claims to."

"And how many times has he saved us all?" Zelenka challenged.

"That's why I'm going to keep him safe for now," Sheppard replied catching the Zelenka's arm before he could leave, "But let me tell you this, the moment this means that people are placed in danger because of who he is..."

Zelenka nodded before taking off his glasses and staring sharply at Sheppard, "Let me tell you something Major. Having a Pretender here on Atlantis is the best thing that could have happened to us."

"How do you know so much about this?" Sheppard asked suspiciously.

Zelenka sighed, "I worked with a man several years ago who had been trying to rescue several Pretenders from where they escaped from. He was killed trying to do that and I promised myself that if I was ever in the position to protect someone like Rodney that is exactly what I'd do."