Lost von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed.

This is the final part and I hope it doesn't disappoint anyone.

*********************************************

"Are you sure about this?" Elizabeth asked Zelenka.

"Of course," the scientist nodded vigorously, "Peter and I went over it several times before I spoke with Major Sheppard."

"Elizabeth, we could find them," John told her seriously, "Let us try at least."

Elizabeth finally nodded, "Alright, I want Dr Zelenka and Carson to go as well. Just in case."

"Yes Ma'am," John grinned grabbing Zelenka's arm and yanking him out of the office.

They headed down to the Jumper Bay to find Ford, Teyla and Carson already there waiting for them.

"Are we there yet?" Ford asked as John took his seat.

John gave a soft snort of laughter turning to Zelenka, "Where do we start?"

"I believe I have the two most probable planets," Zelenka told him, "I have entered them into the databanks. As soon as you are ready we should go."

John rolled his eyes, "Control, we're ready to go."

"Good luck Major," Elizabeth replied, "Try and bring them back."

John manipulated the controls smiling as he saw the Stargate open waiting for them, for the first time in over a month he felt a sense of hope. With a smile he cloaked the ship and headed through the Gate.

-

As they exited the Stargate onto the lush green planet, John noted that the area around the Stargate was deserted but several hundred miles away they could see what appeared to be a town.

"See if you can find any trace of Jumper One," John ordered Zelenka, "I'll fly around to see if we can find anything."

Zelenka nodded busying himself in his work as Ford, Teyla and Carson sat in the back waiting. All just hoping that with this discovery would lead to the return of their friend.

"I think I may have something," Zelenka murmured, "A trace of metal that does not appear to belong to this world."

"Jumper Two this is Jumper One," John transmitted, "Rodney, can you hear me?"

*********************************************

Rodney took one more look at the cottage he'd been living in before he struck the match; sadly he tossed it into the small pool of liquid sitting waiting. He felt Dina hug his arm, her tears soaking into his shirt as they watched the cottage start to burn before he moved the cart away from the farm and the town.

They needed to get as far away from here as possible before even thinking about trying to find the girls uncle. Dina sat holding her baby sister as he tried his best to drive the thing without killing them. Rodney was sure the girl had slipped into shock from what happened to her mother, he kept having to force back his own grief to make sure the girls were safe. It was the one thing she asked of him, it was all he could do for her now.

They headed deeper into the forest hoping everyone would be so distracted by the fire they wouldn't have a chance to come after them for at least another few hours. Unfortunately he was wrong.

"Find them," Malis sounded from close behind them.

Dina turned to him, "What do we do?"

Rodney grimaced, "We run," he flicked the reins making the horse start to gallop wincing as the bumps jarred at his sore leg hoping Dina had a good grip of both the cart and her sister.

He swore under his breath as they came to a ravine, there was no way they could get across, they'd have to go back and from the sounds of things they'd run straight into Malis and his cronies. Then he heard it.

"Jumper Two this is Jumper One," John's voice suddenly sounded from his pocket, "Rodney, can you hear me?"

Rodney dug out the radio flicking it on, "John?"

"Rodney," he heard John laugh in relief, "Are you alright?"

"No but no time to discuss that," Rodney replied quickly, "Are you close?"

"We're honing in on your signal," John told him, "Just keep transmitting and we'll be there soon."

Rodney made a decision, "Follow the signal. When you get there, protect them."

He got himself off the cart and motioned Dina to come, the girl slid off the cart holding her sister tightly against her.

"Take this," Rodney handed her the radio, "Keep this button pressed down, someone will come for you I promise."

"What about you?" Dina asked afraid.

Rodney gently touched her cheek, "I'll be right behind you," he grabbed Belin's bag and the bag holding the small bush, "Take these and just don't stop until you meet a man who will be wearing something similar to what I wore when you found me."

Dian nodded, holding her sister tightly the bags over her shoulder and the radio clenched tightly in her fist she ran into the forest.

"Find them fast Major," Rodney whispered before arming himself waiting for Malis to arrive.

-

John followed Rodney's signal his heart lighter than it had been in over a month but he was confused by Rodney's final transmit and worried.

"Got him," Zelenka told him, "We will have find a clear space to land."

"Found one," John replied starting to set the Jumper down, he grabbed the life signs detector and tuned it to Rodney's radio following the signal through the trees.

A young girl holding a baby jumped as he appeared with the gun aimed at her, John dropped his gun.

"Are you a friend of Rodney?" the girl asked afraid.

John noticed the radio gripped tightly in her hand and nodded, "I'm Major Sheppard. Where is Rodney?"

"He's back at the cart next to the ravine," the girl told him, "Malis is after us, they'll kill him if you don't help."

John caught the girls arm and pulled her towards the Jumper, "Teyla, Ford."

The teenager jumped as the other two members of the team appeared from nowhere but John kept a firm grip of her arm.

"Teyla," John ordered, "Take her into the Jumper, make sure she's okay. Ford, we're going after Rodney."

-

Rodney pulled his gun as Malis and his posse arrived with, in a total cliche, pitchforks.

"Where are the children?" Malis demanded.

"Safe," Rodney sneered aiming the gun at him, "Which you aren't."

"You kill me and they will tear you apart," Malis pointed to the others with him.

"But you'll still be dead," Rodney told him, "And that is all I want."

Malis laughed and swung at Rodney who moved out of the road before firing at the man's leg narrowly missing Malis. As several of the men converged on him Rodney was pretty sure he was dead and he just hoped John had found Dina.

"McKay," a voice sounded making all the men turn, "These guys bothering you?"

"A little," Rodney replied relief filling him, "Think you can do something about it?"

"Who are you?" Malis demanded, "How dare you interfere in the removal of a witch's consort."

"Consort?" John mused with a half grin, "You have been busy McKay."

"Leave and we shall forget about this," Malis yelled.

"Ahhh no," John replied, "You see we want him back in one piece and anyone who gets in our way..." he let out a burst of fire just in front of their feet forcing them all back, "McKay, time to go home."

Rodney nodded grabbing his crutches but as he hobbled past Malis he stopped and glared at the man before him.

"You killed an innocent woman because of your ego," Rodney growled at him, "You orphaned two children all the while making yourself seem like the saviour. I hope you burn in hell."

Rodney swung and caught Malis across the jaw with a loud crack sending him sprawling before he hobbled over to join his friends.

"I think we should get the hell out of here and fast," John stated, "Ford, take the rear. Carson get the Jumper ready to leave."

"Did you get him Major?" Carson asked worriedly.

John looked at Rodney and motioned him to say something who sighed.

"I'm here Carson," Rodney spoke up as exhaustion started to catch up with him, "Are the girls there?"

"They're here and safe," Carson told him

Rodney sighed in relief, "Tell them I'll be there soon."

Rodney allowed John to help him to a clearing where Teyla appeared from nowhere smiling in amazement and joy to see Rodney.

"Dr McKay," she greeted him but Rodney didn't stop instead he headed to where Dina was sitting holding Belin close.

He sat beside the girl and wrapped his arm around her as John took his seat and started them home.

*********************************************

Elizabeth paced the control room wondering if they would find anyone from Jumper Two alive. She hated to admit it but she was more concerned about getting Rodney back than any of the others from Jumper Two. He was her friend and the hope they may get him back was something she was holding onto.

Suddenly the Gate dialled and she jumped to the controls, "Any IDC coming in?"

Grodin shook his head before grinning, "It's Major Sheppard."

"Drop the shield," she told Grodin, "I'll be in the Jumper Bay."

With that she hurried out hoping their mission had been a success.

She found Rodney sitting in the back of the Jumper holding Belin in one arm while Dina rested against his other. Now they were safe and able to relax the grief and horror was catching up with them.

"Rodney," Carson crouched in front of him, "Rodney I need you to look at me."

Slowly he looked up into the doctor's eyes, "I need to get the girls somewhere so they can rest."

Carson nodded and helped Rodney to his feet seeing Elizabeth arrive. She frowned as Rodney didn't even acknowledge her presence turning to the teenager at his side making sure she was beside him as they headed to the infirmary.

"What happened?" she asked John.

"I have no idea but he was not happy with some guy when we got there," he explained, "I've got a bad feeling about it."

"Let's go see what Carson has to say," Elizabeth gave a half-smile.

-

Rodney lay on the bed Carson had forced him too watching as Dina slept finally, Belin in a makeshift cot next to her sister.

"You're leg seems to be well on the way to being completely healed," Carson noted bringing Rodney's attention back to him.

"Lucia was very skilled," Rodney murmured sadly, "I'd be dead if it wasn't for her."

"Rodney?" Carson asked concerned by his friend's depression.

"I just need to sleep," Rodney turned away from the worried gaze of the Doctor, "I haven't in a few nights."

"Then get some rest," Carson told him.

"Just wake me if the girls need me," Rodney murmured before giving into exhaustion.

"Of course Rodney," Carson gently covered his friend with the blanket.

Carson turned to find Elizabeth and John entering the room and motioned them away from where Rodney slept so they didn't wake him.

"How is he?" Elizabeth asked.

"Physically," Carson started, "He'll be fine. From what I can tell and the little I've managed to get out of him he was injured quite badly in the crash. His leg was broken, sprained wrist, bruised ribs, cuts etc but a woman he called Lucia saved him. From what I can see his leg will heal completely even though under normal circumstances he shouldn't be at this level of healing."

"And emotionally?" Elizabeth asked.

"I think he's in shock," Carson stated, "He's very protective of the children with him and the teenager seems to look to him for it. Considering his usual attitude to kids this is quite an amazing thing."

"I want to talk to him once he's awake," Elizabeth said.

"Of course," Carson nodded, "But I don't know how responsive he'll be."

*********************************************

Rodney sat in the briefing room trying not to yawn. Dina had a nightmare and her screams had woken him as no one could calm her. Rodney had sat with the girl and hugged her until she calmed down falling back asleep. By this time he was awake, so he checked in on Belin before heading to give a report to Elizabeth on what had happened to him.

"Rodney," Elizabeth smiled as she entered the room, "It's so good to have you back. This place was not the same without you"

"Of course it wasn't," he replied automatically falling back into old patterns, "I'm still quite tired Elizabeth so can we do this fast?"

"Of course," she smiled at him, "What happened?"

Rodney sighed shifting his leg to a more comfortable position, "I was studying the energy readouts when I was flung against the bulkhead. I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in a cottage. A woman called Lucia, she saved me," Rodney stopped for a second swallowing hard before explaining what had happened as dispassionately as possible.

"So you were taking her daughters to their uncle when you were attacked," Elizabeth said.

"I don't think Dina wants to return to the planet," Rodney told her, "I don't know how yet but I will look after them."

"Rodney..."

"Can I go?" he asked, "I don't want to leave Dina alone for too long."

Elizabeth nodded watching as he pulled himself off the chair and hobbled out of the room knowing there was something he wasn't telling her.

-

John walked towards the balcony needing to relax for a while quite surprised to find Rodney sitting holding the baby feeding her with a very gentle smile on his face.

"I don't know how I'm going to do this Belin," Rodney murmured to the baby, "But I can't lose you two as well. You're all I have of your mother."

John stood in the doorway, "You were in love with her," he realised not knowing he'd said it out loud till Rodney jumped round.

"I was getting there," he admitted returning to feeding the baby on his lap.

"So?" John asked taking a seat across from him, "Tell me."

Rodney sighed, starting to tell him about Lucia and how he'd fallen for her before losing her before his eyes.

"It explains why you don't want to let the kids go," John said softly, "Though you know there's no way you can continue to be part of the team as well as doing everything else you do if you have to care for a baby."

"I had a feeling," Rodney replied looking down sadly at the baby who was laughing up at him, "I'm guessing you have a suggestion."

John nodded, "The Athosians would be able to help. It'll be the safest place for them and you'd still be able to see them."

Rodney sighed knowing his friend was giving him the only possible solution to this even if it broke his heart for the second time in as many days.

-

"Are you sure about this?" Dina asked softly looking up at him her eyes wide.

"Gaya is a good person," Rodney told her, "She lost her children when the Wraith attacked their home. She'll cherish you and Belin I know it."

"And you'll come see us?" Dina whispered.

Rodney leaned down so he was face to face with her gently pressing his hand to her cheek, "I am here no matter what. All you have to do is contact the city and I'll come I promise."

Dina nodded sniffing back tears before wrapping her arms around him and hugging him tightly. Rodney held onto her being careful of Belin who was sucking her thumb sadly against her sister's shoulder.

"Thank you Rodney," the teenager whispered, "I'll miss you."

Rodney swallowed hard as he smiled down at her, "I'll miss you both. You should go, Carson gets a little anxious when he has passengers who can't fly the ship if he does something wrong."

Dina gave him one last sad smile before entering the Jumper and taking her set beside Teyla, Rodney stood watching until the doors closed. The roof opened and Carson piloted the small craft up towards the sky leaving Rodney alone. Slowly he left the room hobbling along the corridors back towards his quarters to obey Carson's orders and rest. Once there Rodney lay down pulling the pillow over his head and wept for all he had lost over the past few days.