Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Day at Court, A

by BH Torrent
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Day at Court

A Day at Court

by B.H. Torrent.

TITLE: A Day at Court
AUTHOR: B.H. Torrent.
EMAIL: torrentbh@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Jack Romance, humor
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: set somewhere in season 4
RATING: PG13
CONTENT WARNINGS: some bad language, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Some Sam/Jack romance, first contact with another race (humans).
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: O'kay I've written a story with little action and lots of cliches. But after reading all the delightfully schmaltzy Jack/ Sam stories on this site, watching "Window of Opportunity" over and over until my video recorder started to make strange noises and ringing everyone I knew to see if they had taped the infamous "Divide and Conquer" episode, which I, of course, missed - I had to do SOMETHING!

I apologize for incorrect spellings and information etc but I am only new to the world of SG-1 and have only seen a handful of episodes. Enough, obviously though for the characters to capture my imagination. Thank you for bearing with me as the story drags on interminably and comments are welcome.

Daniel had done it again! Colonel Jack O'Neill sighed, as he looked at his reflection in the hammered silver mirror. "Why was it that every time he listened to that fragging archaeologist their lives invariably turned into some alien version of a travelling circus?"

"Circus? Oh honored one?" A tentative voice questioned.

"Oh sh..." O'Neill bit his tongue just in time as the servant who had been dressing him jumped back in fear. He hadn't realised he had been talking aloud. "Its okay," he soothed.

"Sir looks very beautiful," the servant said in an awed voice. "Much better that those drab clothes!" The sneer on his face showed exactly how much the inhabitants of this world thought of the SG uniform.

"Hey," Jack protested. "I like that uniform!" The servant just rolled his eyes and motioned that O'Neill should step out of the tent. Jack turned and took one last look in the mirror, sighing. It should be that bloody smooth-tongued fop Richards who was here in this outlandish getup - they were the diplomatic specialists, sent in to work out treaties and alliances with other governments. But no, Daniel had pleaded with the General with some hoopla about cultural blah blah and area of specialty and Jack was still certain the General had agreed, over his protests, simply to shut Daniel up! He tugged on the jacket again, trying to pull it down to cover the thigh molding blue pants that tucked into soft leather knee-high boots. The jacket itself was intricately woven in rich colours and the wide opening down to the two buttons at his waistline showed a simple white shirt. Well, simple now after he ripped all the frills off. "I look like a bloody Casanova," he muttered to himself and turned in resignation.

O'Neill walked uncomfortably out into the sunlight muttering "Next time the mission involves dressing up, the General can take his orders and shove..." His mouthing falling open cut off his sentence mid-thought as he looked up and saw the other members of SG1. His gut tightened like he'd been punched and he took a step backwards in shock. There was at least one member of SG-1 that looked a darn sight better out of those green fatigues he was so fond of!

Finding his voice and mobility after a minute or two of silent appreciation, he sauntered over. "Well, well Major.." he cleared his voice quickly hearing a strange note creeping in, "Don't you scrub up nicely!"

Sam blushed and Jack watched in fascination as it spread down her face and her hands jumped up reflexively to fiddle with the brief midriff top she was wearing...

Sam exhaled gently and willed the blush to go away and her hands to fall naturally to her sides. Why was she overreacting in this manner - she was not a teenager, not so immature that she couldn't carry off an outfit that was maybe a little on the risqu side but certainly reasonably modest. Oh God, she groaned inwardly, what a way to have to stand in front of your commanding officer and Jack of all people. All of a sudden she wished she were back working for that bastard Murphy at the Pentagon. He would have just sneered, muttered something inaudible about female officers and walked away. Instead Jack was here and far as she could tell he was memorizing her outfit.

"You look quite dashing yourself Colonel," she managed with a miraculously even tone.

"I look bloody ridiculous Sam," he said absently," but you..." Sam stiffened at the informality of him using her name - he rarely did that - sticking to Major.

"Sir!" she stuttered out in protest.

"Hate to interrupt," said a dry voice. Sam and Jack turned to look at Daniel who was wearing a rust coloured version of Jack's outfit, still with its frills. "But I think we're expected up at the main tent," he motioned towards a gaudy looking construction where natives dressed in outfits from every colour of the rainbow were milling around and many of them pointing excitedly towards the group of strangers. The guards that had been formerly protecting them from curious natives had now formed an avenue of sorts leading towards the open doors of the same tent.

"Right," said Jack grimly," let's get this over with" and he headed off towards the tent.

Teal'c stopped and executed a bow towards Sam, which looked strangely fitting in the dusky gold kilt and jacket he was wearing. "You are very beautiful, Major Carter," he said solemnly.

"Thank you Teal'c" Sam replied smiling in thanks of his courtesy. He offered her his arm but she shook her head mutely so he nodded his head, pivoted and followed Colonel O'Neill. Sam started walking but then turned back when she sensed Jackson wasn't following her. "Daniel?" she questioned.

"Oh, ah... I was just thinking what an unusual cultural mix our costumes are," he said "Yours is very reminiscent of a sari and yet ours lean towards nineteenth century European court wear. I was wondering if..."

"We should go Daniel," Sam interrupted.

"Of course," Daniel said and then he suddenly grinned. "The Colonel did look really uncomfortable, didn't he!" he commented as they walked through the honour guard together.

"Yep," Sam grinned as she agreed with him. "I think he's more of a beer and peanuts guy!" she commented lightly, steering clear of the sudden metal flash she had of the almost transparent white shirt across his chest and the line of his legs in tight satin pants and boots. Down girl, down, she admonished herself. This is your CO!

Daniel watched in amusement as Sam fought some sort of inner battle to keep her face statementless and then tripped and almost feel flat on his arse as he tangled himself in one of the soldiers ceremonial spears.

The poor soldier was mortified. "I am so sorry Sir," he said holding out a hand and then snapped back to attention.

"Ah no," Daniel said embarrassed, "My fault... really..." he trailed off and then hurried to catch up with Sam who was thankfully so absorbed in her own thoughts she hadn't noticed his latest attack of uncoordination. All he needed now was to... "Achoo!" he sneezed with a resounding noise. Daniel grabbed for his ever-present handkerchief - he'd stowed it somewhere in one of his sleeves. Thankfully he pulled it out and mopped at his watering eyes and nose.

"Bless you!" Sam said politely.

Daniel rolled his eyes in self-mortification. "It never rains but it pours!" he commented.

Sam grinned, making her eyes shine as bright as the glittering dust they had carefully brushed across her face.

"You really do look lovely," Daniel commented, noting the genuine warmth of her smile as he had done so many times before.

"Sheesh!" said Carter, "Could I get more embarrassed - I'll have to remember to wear a dress around you guys more often! Can we go now?"

"Of course," said Daniel his mind snapping back to the problem at hand. I am looking forward to meeting this ruler and determining whether it is a matrilineal or patrilineal society..."

As they stepped through the doorway of the tent, Daniel cut off his flow of nervous conversation and started observing. The ceiling was high and supported by ornate poles, like a circus tent. Tapestries on frames stood around the outside and Daniel resisted the urge to walk over and study the subject matter. Instead he looked towards the focal point of the tent: a raised divan where a middle aged gentleman in ornate silvery robes was deep in conversation with two kneeling figures in identical robes, that Daniel guessed were some kinds of Ministers. Jack and Teal'c were talking at two soldiers in the middle of a tent. The dirt and grass was covered in a large woven mat positioned in front of the "throne". Apart from that and the people standing quietly around the outskirts of the tent - it was bare, no furniture, no other chairs. Another figure in Ministerial robes came over and bowed low, "Sir, Lady, his Majesty is currently busy. We would appreciate it if you could come and stand over here and ..." he paused nervously and then forged on, "...if you could convince your two companions to do the same," he glanced nervously towards where O'Neill was do a very good imitation of an immovable object. "

Sam rolled her eyes. "I'll go get them," she said and walked over. Daniel noted with amusement that she tinkled as she walked.

Then he turned back to the Minister. "My name is Daniel Jackson," he said politely, "And you are..."

"The third Minister," the little man said proudly. "I am in charge of organizing events like this, with my partner Sovra," he turned and looked towards a beautiful dark-haired woman in an outfit similar to Sam's who was talking quietly to a group of children against one of the tent walls."

"Ah, what exactly will be the procedure here today Third Minister?" Daniel asked politely.

"His Majesty has several others petitioners to see and then he will hear your application. If you are successful, there will be a feast and formal speeches, if not you will be escorted back to the circle." The minister replied, glancing nervously around the tent and then relaxing as Carter came back towards them with O'Neill and Teal'c in tow. "If you could just stand over here and wait patiently, I would be very grateful," he motioned towards a gap in the circle of people standing against the walls of the tent, being careful not to touch the woven mat. "It is a position of great honour," he assured them, "and the wait will not be long."

"Righteo, what's going on?" asked Jack loudly as he came up to stand with them. The Third Minister blanched and bowed low.

"I have to go now," he shot one more imploring glance at Daniel and then hurried off.

Daniel coughed to cover a laugh. "Ah, we need to go stand over here." He said and they started walking over.

"Well, why didn't they say so?" O'Neill asked testily.

"I think they're terrified of you, Jack," Daniel said diplomatically. They stood in a loose group in the position indicated.

"So, is that the King?" Jack asked Daniel.

"I think so," Daniel replied, "and I also think that they're about to start so shhhh!"

"Yeah, whatever," Jack muttered, "of all the ridiculous..."

"Sir," Sam admonished gently and laid a hand on his arm.

Teal'c watched with nostalgia as Major Carter absently shushed O'Neill - her attention mainly on the royal dais. He has seen the same action from his mother to his father many times when he was little and had always trusted the affection the gesture had implied. It seemed that, Jafar or Tarii, humans were always in some ways the same.

"What?" O'Neill mouthed silently at him, as he noted his observation and Teal'c politely turned his gaze away, not wanting to embarrass his friend.

He looked around the tent at the relaxed postures of the people. They were silent and respectful but they did not seem afraid. This was what he wished for his people - a ruler that they respected - a ruler who would listen to them and not treat them as slaves. A ruler who was not a false God. And someday it will be so, he vowed to himself silently.

The children were the next petitioners brought before the King - they were led forward by a dark-haired woman and the King smiled indulgently as they nervously thanked him for some favor that the King had granted. The King spoke to them quietly for a few moments and complimented the girls on their pretty dresses then the children dispersed back to their proud parents. Teal'c thought achingly for a moment of Ry'ack, wishing that he was free to observe his son's achievements.

His thoughts turned then to his wife as he watched the dark-haired woman walk proudly to stand beside the man that Daniel had called the Third Minister. They touched hands affectionately and Teal'c noticed that all the Ministers around the circle were standing beside a partner, some openly affectionate and others simply standing close with an easy familiarity.

Teal'c's attention was then drawn back to the King when he stood and declaimed loudly. "Strangers to this world, you are welcome to present your petition to us now."

Daniel led them forward and Teal'c sank respectfully to one knee - showing honour without servitude, as the others bowed or in Carter's case, curtseyed deeply.

"Your Majesty," Daniel began with none of his usual tremors and nervous pauses. "We as the representatives of the planet Earth, sometimes known as the Tarii, humbly thank you for this opportunity to create a new friendship with yourself and your people..."

It was a very good idea to elect Daniel the spokesperson, Teal'c observed, O'Neill for all his leadership strengths could not have spoken so smoothly nor so diplomatically. Daniel introduced each person and Teal'c nodded his head deferentially towards the king who watched them with eyes as intent as a predatory bird. Daniel then began to tell the King and the fascinated audience of natives the story of how they had become explorers and why they were fighting against the Go'uld.

A rustle went around the room at Daniel's description of Ra - the hunters, they whispered. When Daniel paused at this reaction. The king replied. "We know of whom you speak. The metal hunters would come among us several times a year and take the boldest and the most beautiful by force."

Daniel nodded sadly, "They took your people to become hosts..." he continued to explain.

"We learnt to hide," the King replied, "we dug vast caverns in the mountains and fled there when they arrived. They took the stragglers- the slow and weak who could not move fast enough but after a while they stopped coming. They have not visited us since I was a boy." He said proudly.

Carter leant over and whispered in O'Neill's ear, "The mountains must have some sort of natural shielding properties to fool Gou'ald technology. We should investigate that later." O'Neill nodded.

O'Neill then stepped forward. "These Hunters will come back one day," he said bluntly. "That is why we are seeking alliances against them. If you agree to this, if you are willing to share technology and information, we will do what we can to help your people defend against the Hunters when they next visit."

The King nodded slowly. "The soothsayers said they had gone for good, but I am not so naive. It is better to be prepared."

"A man after my own heart," Jack commented.

The King stood. "We will accept this alliance," he declaimed ," and declare these Tarii our friends. They are welcome among us." An excited buzz swept throughout the tent. He turned back to O'Neill, "To formalize this alliance I invite you to nominate one of your group to become part of my retinue. A member of my personal guard or perhaps Lady Carter," he nodded his head graciously, " would consent to joining my harem."

"Colonel?" said Carter a little frantically.

It was Daniel who stepped forwards into the silence. "Thank you for the offer Your Majesty," he bowed low, "however Major Carter is not ah, available." He stuttered for the first time since he had started speaking.

The King frowned and the Third Minister rushed forward and kneeling said to them urgently. "This is the greatest honour he can bestow upon you - the members of the royal harem have the King's ear - they his closest advisors." A sudden feeling of tension filled the tent.

Carter stepped forward tentatively and said "I appreciate the great honour and compliment you have bestowed upon me Sire, but I..." Sam paused, seemingly lost for words and Teal'c tensed ready to defend his companions if the need arose. A quick glance around the tent confirmed the position of the guards who had suddenly come to a more watchful attention.

Oh bloody hell, thought O'Neill, one wrong word and the atmosphere of relaxation had suddenly disappeared. He stepped forward without without thinking and voiced the first solution that presented itself to his mind. "She is my wife," he said loudly.

Carter was standing slightly in front of him and O'Neill irresistibly glanced away from the angry face of the King, to see her reaction. Her back stiffened but apart from that she gave nothing away.

"You are Partners?" The Third Minister questioned softly after an anxious look at the king, 'Enarthu?"

"Ah, what is Enarthu?" Daniel questioned.

"Partners," the Third Minister explained. "Like Sovra and I. We are mated for life and work together in all things. It is the only way for a true partnership." He explained, a hint of arrogance creeping into his voice. "When your groups came through the great circle we assumed that you did not follow this practice - each person was alone with no helpmate. We assumed you were not enlightened."

Jack fought back a grin, "Well," he said offhandedly, " some of us are enlightened anyway. " He reached and took Carter's hand. "Lady Carter," he said with a lilt of amusement," and I are definitely Enarthu!"

The mass of people in the tent relaxed and the King spoke again. "We are glad for your fortunate pairing," he said, "Perhaps some other of your party?"

"We will send another through the circle to be an ambassador, a representative of our people," O'Neill explained, "if you are willing?" he tacked belatedly onto the end, remembering he was speaking to Royalty and bowed low for good measure.

The King smiled, "That will be acceptable."

"Smoothie," Carter muttered under her breath at him and Jack fought back another grin. He couldn't wait to write the report on this one. Deliberately he began to caress Carter's hand gently, relishing the opportunity for touch. She shot him a quizzical look.

"We will adjourn to the Palace for the welcome feast, " the King announced and a cheer went up throughout the tent. SG-1 bowed, curtseyed and kneeled again as he swept through an exit in the back of the tent, attendants in tow. After he had gone, the petitioners turned and began excitedly filing out the main entrance. In the confusion of the moment the SG-1 group was left briefly alone.

Carter sought to tug her hand free but Jack tightened his grip and raised her hand to his mouth, brushing the top of it gently with his lips. "Smoothie indeed," he returned, amusement glinting in his eyes.

"Congratulations on your marriage," Teal'c said turning towards them. "I have long thought that you two were particularly suited to each other."

Carter blushed and stammered out, "Teal'c its just pretend." She whispered.

"Why?" Teal'c queried.

"Sir?" Carter turned to Jack looking for help.

"Oh, just accept the man's congratulations Samantha," Jack drawled, "its no use fighting fate!" He almost laughed aloud as Carter's eyes flashed with ire and irritation.

"Colonel," she began in an exasperated tone looking around at the broad grins on the faces of her three male companions. Then she stopped and suddenly smiled and shrugged. "Nothing" she said demurely.

Jack's amusement turned to puzzlement as her anger suddenly disappeared. How do women do that, he grumbled to himself: change completely from one breath to the next. Carter continued to smile at him in that radiant way as if she knew something that they all didn't and the collar on his jacket suddenly felt very tight. He reached up and adjusted it and found that he was sweating in the cool air. "Ah, where's that Minister guy?" he improvised wildly, looking to change the subject.

Sam was doing her best to give the nephew of the King her full attention when Jack leaned across and whispered in her ear, "Do you think these speeches are going to go on for much longer? I'm going to go bonkers!"

"I don't know Sir," she whispered back. "But each one has been going for an average of 26 minutes and this guy is up to 21 already."

Jack grinned, "We're married Colonel, you can call me Jack!" Thankfully Sam was beyond blushing now after Jack had taken every possibly opportunity to tease her about the situation since they had been seated together on this large cushion. She wasn't quite sure why he was so unfazed by the situation. The minute they had been shown to the large double cushion instead of the smaller single ones that Daniel and Teal'c were sitting on her thoughts had instantly jumped to the night ahead - they weren't scheduled to leave back through the Stargate until the morning. She honestly hoped the speeches went for a really long time.

"Major?" he questioned.

"Ah," Sam frantically tried to improvise, "look" she said, "Daniel is fascinated."

Jack glanced towards Daniel - he didn't know what cultural information he was getting out of these long-winded speeches but he was busily writing down notes. Teal's next to him, appeared to be meditating with his eyes open. Bored, he turned back to Carter watching the uneven rise and fall of her chest as she breathed in and out and pretended to be interested in the speeches.

"Sir!" she whispered, outraged.

"Sorry Major," he said repentedly, running his hands through his hair, "ah, would you like a drink? He proffered her the goblet that they were obviously expected to share.

"Ah no," she glanced up at him briefly, her eyes wide and expressively confused. He had never seen her so flustered and was enjoying watching her in a venue that was not scientific or military.

"Relax Major and enjoy the evening, I'll lay off for a while."

"That's all right Sir," she replied, "its just an .. um. ..awkward situation. I'm not certain how to react."

"Me either," he said honestly. "But as far as alien first contacts go - it sure beats being pinned to a wall with a pole through my shoulder!"

Carter visibly relaxed. "I'm surprised Sir, I thought that would infinitely preferable to you than speeches."

"You've got a point Major," he said, "Maybe I should pick a fight with someone!"

Carter laughed aloud and a few people turned and shushed them in annoyance. Daniel and Teal'c looked over with identical statements - raised eyebrows. Sam and Jack both pretended to be absorbed in the dramatic and flowery language of the rotund little speaker wearing a frilled orange costume, until everyone looked away again.

Sam relaxed, more comfortable with this familiar banter. This was the companionship she was used to with Jack - friendship and mutual respect but the distance of a commanding officer. Sure, sometimes she momentarily wished for something more - but not at the cost of working with him and her other friends day by day.

"Major?" Sam looked up at Colonel O'Neill and saw the question forming on his lips - what was she thinking? What would she say? Her mind raced.

"Sir?" she said, trying to inject as much formality into her voice as possible.

He raised an eyebrow and then looked down at the platter of food he was holding out to her. "Would you like something to eat?"

"Oh, thank you Sir," she said calmly and picked up a piece of strange looking tuber.

"I think," he said munching down on a strip of meat," that we might be able to sneak out soon and back through the Stargate. The person next to me said the King usually retires soon and after that you can do what you like."

"That would be good, Sir," Sam returned.

"Hmmm," he said. "Think we'll be able to tear Daniel away?"

She glanced over at Daniel who was holding a half-eaten piece of red fruit and looking almost green around the gills . "Oh, I think even he's had enough of his day at court, Sir!"

They watched the King leave, said their thanks to the various Ministers and headed back to the Stargate, Teal'c supporting a rather queasy Daniel as they stepped through the shimmering event horizon.

"In case I forget later, Sir," Sam said as they stood about to step through, "Thank you for saving me from joining the old guy's harem!"

"All in a day's work Carter," O'Neill replied glancing down at his fatigues with great satisfaction. He looked across at her next, "Shame, you didn't keep the outfit though!" He grinned and stepped through.

The end.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to B.H. Torrent.