Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Destiny

by Barbara Louie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Destiny

Destiny

by Barbara Louie

TITLE: Destiny
AUTHOR: Barbara Louie
EMAIL: babalouie90@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Future Story, Angst, Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; sequel to Divorce
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: adult themes, language
SUMMARY: After Sam's divorce, she moves to Colorado to be with Jack.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This story picks up where "Don't Wait Too Long" and Divorce ended so read that first and the rest of this will make sense. A section break. Denotes a change in point of view and/or time advancement since this is suppose to be a future story.
This story can also be found at my site: http://babalouie.homestead.com/Destiny.html Your feedback is appreciated.

Sam called the Dean's office to make sure that he was in, and asked to meet with him. She advised him that she needed to talk to him right away and that it couldn't wait. When she arrived at his office she knew what she needed to say and hoped that she could keep her cool while she explained things.

After a couple of hours of intense discussions with the Dean, Sam was able to get out of her teaching contract. She reminded the Dean about the threats made to her and how this might jeopardize the safety of the students. That last statement made the Dean change his mind and he let Sam out of her contract. As Sam walked out of the Dean's office she thought that she should have gotten an Oscar for her performance. She was truthful but she had to be rather dramatic in order to get him to release her from her contract.

Sam's stopped by Mary's house to tell her the good news. Mary suggested that they go out and celebrate, but Sam said that she really needed to go. She said that she was planning on leaving Seattle before the weekend if not sooner. Mary asked Sam why the sudden rush and Sam said that it was for her safety as well as her sanity. Sam told Mary that she would tell her where she was living later after she got settled in. As Sam was leaving for her apartment Mary said something that caused Sam stop in her tracks.

"Sam, I hope he knows what a good woman he's getting," Mary said.

"What are you talking about Mary? I'm just trying to get away from Tom," Sam replied.

"Sam, I know you better than that. To me it is obvious that you are in love with someone else. I just hope he treats you right," Mary said.

Sam turned and gave Mary a big hug. Mary reassured Sam that she wouldn't tell a sole. Sam left Mary's house and went home and started packing, she wanted to get to Colorado Springs as soon as possible. She'd worry about what she was going to tell Jack once she got there.

Sam stayed up late packing and by early morning she had all of her clothes and things she wanted to ship all packed up. She called her brother, Mark, and advised him that she was going to be sending some boxes to him. She told him that she just divorced Tom and that she was leaving Seattle. She said she couldn't go into more details right now, but for him to just trust and believe in her. Mark asked her what he should do with the boxes she was sending him. She told him to just hold onto them for now and she would call him later and explain things.

Sam went to her attorney's office, paid her bill and then said that she was leaving. He asked where she was going and she said that she thought that California sounded nice. She said that it was important to have family around her. Sure California sounded nice, but it wasn't where Jack was. She was planning on moving to where Jack lived and just maybe once they got together they might be a family.

Her last stop was Mary's house to let her know that she was leaving. Mary was shocked at the speed that Sam was moving. Mary told Sam to call her when she got to her destination. She also told Sam that if this guy didn't treat her right, to let her know and she would come straighten him out.

Sam left Mary's house for her apartment to pack her car for her departure. Sam was glad that she got to keep her classic Volvo in the divorce; it had always been her pride and joy. Sam left Seattle as the sun was setting. She could have waited until the morning to leave, but somehow leaving as the sun was setting was more dramatic. The day was coming to a close as she was closing a chapter in the book of her life.

It was early Saturday when Sam pulled into Colorado Springs. She drove to the area of town where she used to live in hopes of renting an apartment. She looked around and found a nice place. She was given the key and told that she could move in immediately. Sam thanked them and left the office. She unloaded the few items she had in her car, secured her apartment and decided to go to her favorite park and catch the sunset.

Sam sat on a bench warming herself with the rays of the sun and took in a deep breath. She liked being back in Colorado Springs it somehow always felt like home to her. She thought about Jack and what she would tell while she enjoyed the sun's warming rays. Sam then stared walking back to her car and noticed a group of college kids playing football. She stopped and watched them for a few moments before going to her car. She had a smile on her face as she walked back to her car remembering when she last played football.

Cassandra Fraiser had been playing football with some friends in the park. She was supposed to have caught the pass but the quarterback overthrew the ball and now she had to run after the football. She picked up the football and a strange feeling came over her. It had been a long time since she had that feeling and thought about when she last felt something like this. She remembered the last time she felt something like this was when they had their last run in with Nurti. Cassie looked around the park but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. She started breathing hard and shaking; she believed that she was sensing a Goa'uld was close by. She wondered if it was Nurti or some other system lord. Her friends ran up to her and asked her what was wrong. She told them that she needed to go to her mother's house right away.

When Cassie got to her mother's house she told her friends that she was okay and they could go. Cassie ran into her mother's house calling out hysterically for her. Janet came running from the back to see what was wrong.

"Mom, they're here! There's a Goa'uld here! I just sensed one in the park. Oh mom, do you think its Nurti?" Cassie said as she hugged her mother tightly.

Daniel came running in from the back and saw Cassie crying. He asked Janet what was wrong. She looked to Daniel and said one word.

"Nurti!"

The word brought a cold chill to Daniel. Daniel put his arms around Janet and Cassie and said he was going to get some help.

Karen was relaxing in the backyard while he started the grill. He enjoyed grilling and she liked watching him while he grilled. Karen couldn't believe how lucky she was to find him. Sure he was a little rough around the edges but when she peeled away the outer layers she found a wonderful man. Or at least she used to be able to peel away the outer layers but something in him had changed a while back.

Karen started thinking about her relationship with him. She figured that he wanted her to move in with him but he never quite said it. She assumed that he was going to ask her when he got back from his family Christmas but something happened up there to change things. He seemed distracted and more distant since his return. When she would kiss him he would cut it short almost as if he didn't like kissing her any more. She was getting frustrated because he seemed to always put his work first.

Karen knew that she was weakening him, because last weekend she could feel how excited he was when she stood against him. She remembered saying that if they lived together she could relieve his little soldier down there and he wouldn't have to go home and take a cold shower. She thought it sounded cute considering that he was a soldier but it had the opposite affect. He put her at arms length, kissed her good night on the forehead and practically ran from her.

She decided that she was going make sure that he didn't run from her tonight. When she last went inside she went out to her car and brought in her overnight bag that had things in there guaranteed to drive him wild. She looked over at him and gave him a wicked grin. Tonight she would make General Jack O'Neill her prisoner of love.

Jack's cellular phone rang and she heard him call out Daniel's name. Jack was only on the phone for a minute and then hung up. He told Karen to get her stuff because it was time for her to go. She reminded him that they were supposed to have dinner together and she had a special desert for him. He told her that something important at work had come up and he had to leave right away.

Jack removed the food from the grill and closed off the vents to kill the fire. He walked into the kitchen got a pitcher of water and came back to the patio to pour the water on the coals. He noticed that Karen hadn't moved from the lounge chair. He told her to get moving because he had to leave right now. She asked him if she could just wait for him because she had something special for him. Jack walked over and took her arm practically yanking her off the lounge chair. Jack looked her square in the eye and told her that she had to leave right now and he was not kidding around. He said that she could not wait for him because he didn't know when he would be back.

Jack retained his hold on Karen's arm and walked her to the front door. She told him that she had brought in her overnight bag and pointed to it by the sofa. Jack went over and got the bag and then escorted Karen out to her car and dropped her overnight back beside her. He quickly walked back into the house, closing and locking the door behind him. Now that she was out of the house he could call the base. He called and spoke with Colonel Paul Davis and advised him to put the base on a level two alert, and that he would call back later and explain everything. Jack didn't want to take any chances and figured it was better to be safe than sorry when dealing with Goa'ulds.

Jack changed clothes and rushed out of the house, got into his truck and sped off to Janet's house. What he didn't realize was that Karen was rather put off by his actions. Karen decided that she was going follow Jack and find out why someone ruined her plans.

Jack arrived at Janet's house, ran up the walk and knocked on the door. Karen wondered whose house this was. She saw a petite auburn hair lady open the door; Jack hugged her and walked in. Now she was really curious about what was going on. She decided that she was tired of coming in second behind his work. He mentioned that there was a problem at work but instead of going to the base he came over to this lady's house. She was determined to find out what was going on. She going to make sure that Jack regretted putting a damper on her planned night of passion for this woman. Karen got out of her car and slowly walked up the sidewalk to the house.

Jack greeted Janet and she said that Cassie was in the back. Jack raced past her and greeted Daniel as he walked into the kitchen. He saw Cassie sitting at the kitchen counter shaking. He could see that she was very upset and he understood why. The last time she had any dealings with Goa'ulds was when Nurti's experiment almost killed her. He hugged her and then asked her what had happened.

Cassie quickly explained that while she was in the park she suddenly felt the presence of something like a Goa'uld. She looked around but couldn't see anyone that looked like a Goa'uld so she thought that Nurti had returned. Jack told Cassie that it was going to be okay. He told her to get some clothes for a few days because she was staying on base. He told Janet to do the same. He then told Daniel to help them because they were all going to be restricted to base. He said if it was Nurti she would try to get back at all of them and none of them were safe.

Jack then called the base and spoke again with Colonel Davis. He informed him to do a floor-by-floor sweep with T.E.R.'s and that it was also to be done at all checkpoint entrances to the lower level of the mountain. He said that there is the possibility that a Goa'uld is on Earth and it might be Nurti. General O'Neill advised that he was going to be en route to the SGC with Dr. Fraiser, Cassandra Fraiser and Dr. Jackson. Jack was still on the phone talking to Col. Davis when he heard yelling coming from the other room. Jack hung up the phone and went to check on what was causing the disturbance.

"Where is he? I saw him come in here. Is he in the bedroom with her?" Karen shouted. She was angry and wanted Jack to know that she knew about his secret lover.

Jack walked out into the front foyer and asked what the hell was going on. Karen asked him if he was back there with her. Just then Janet and Cassandra walked into the area carrying their overnight bags. Karen asked Jack if they were going away for a weekend quickie? Jack apologized to Janet and Cassie then took Karen by the arm out onto the front porch.

"What the hell are you doing here? I told you that I had to leave and I was serious. I don't have time for these childish games of yours Karen," Jack said in a stern voice.

"So you don't have time for me but you have time for those bimbos," Karen said in an angry tone.

"I'll have you know that the ladies you are referring to are Dr. Fraiser, her daughter, Cadet Fraiser from the Air Force Academy and in case you failed to notice, Dr. Jackson was there too," Jack said.

"But Jack, tonight was suppose to be our night. It was going to be special. We were going to get back the magic we had before you ran off to Chicago at Christmas. Please Jack, can't we try again?" Karen asked.

Jack told Karen that this was not the time to talk about this. She asked him when the time would be right and he told her he didn't know. He said that right now he had a job to do concerning national security and he had to go. As if on cue, Daniel, Janet and Cassie came out. Daniel said that he would take Janet in his car and Jack told Cassie that she was riding with him. Jack escorted Cassie to his truck and noticed that Karen was still standing there.

Jack turned to Karen and told her to go home. He saw the hurt look on her face and so he walked over to her. He told her that she had to go right now. He told her that she should start dating other men because there would more of situations like this in the future. He said he was the kind of man who would always put work first and it was expected from a man of his rank. Karen was in tears saying that she wanted to be with Jack. He told her he didn't have time for her or anyone else in his life. He told her she needed to go. He walked quickly back to his truck and then sped off for the SGC.

Sam woke up with a sore back. It had been quite some time since she slept in a sleeping bag instead of a bed. She rolled out of her bag to shower and looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was a mess and she looked exhausted. She showered and started to dry her hair then stopped. She decided that she was going to cut her hair. She called a couple of places before she found one open. When Sam came out of the beauty shop she ran her fingers through her short hair. She just had six to eight inches cut off. It felt wonderful and Sam felt invigorated. The next item on her agenda was furniture shopping. She was focused on getting a bed today because her back couldn't take sleeping on the floor.

Sam went into the furniture shop and found a queen-size bed to replace the one she left in Seattle. Now she just had to find a way to get it home because the business was a week behind on deliveries. One of the clerks heard her say that she was sleeping on the floor and he noticed that she looked as if she was pregnant. He called his wife and asked her to get her brother and come to the store; he had a job for her brother. He approached Sam and advised her that he could help.

By that evening Sam was making up her new bed and stretched out on it. If it weren't for the fact that the baby was hungry she would have gone straight to sleep. Sam got up and went to her favorite Italian restaurant; she just hoped that the food tasted as good as she remembered. When she walked in and the restaurant looked the same. She sat at a booth she used to sit in long ago.

A waiter walked past her and then turned around. He recognized her and asked her where she had been. She said that she moved away but that she missed their food so much that she just had to move back. He smiled and told her that he would be right back. He brought her a glass of red wine and told her that it was on the house. She smiled and told him that she appreciated it but she couldn't have any wine right now. He looked at her and she patted her stomach. He congratulated her and then rushed off to the kitchen. Mario's wife came out of the kitchen and lavished attention on Sam. Sam was surprised that they remembered her because she used to come in here mainly with the Colonel.

Karen came in and noticed someone sitting in their booth. She then noticed that Mario's wife was out of the kitchen talking to the blonde sitting in their booth. She figured that the blonde must be a friend of the family so she decided to sit elsewhere tonight.

The waiter came up to Karen and asked her if it was dinner for one and she replied it was. She said that the General would not be joining her tonight. She asked the waiter who the blonde was and he said that she is like a part of the family. He told Karen that she had moved away but she came back because she missed the food so much. Karen sneered at his comment. She couldn't picture anyone coming back for this food. She didn't like it very much but they ate there because Jack liked it. Now she was sure that the blonde was a friend of the family because of the attention Mario's wife was lavishing the blonde. They usually didn't do that for anyone except family and close friends like her Jack.

Sam illuminated her combat wristwatch she got for Christmas and saw that it was 0300hrs and she was starving to death. She went to the refrigerator, pulled out the take home package and warmed it up in the microwave. She didn't think that she was very hungry until she ate the entire package. Sam had just lain down to go back to sleep when she let out a loud burp that practically rocked the walls of the apartment. She patted her stomach and told the baby that she knew that he would like Mario's spaghetti. The baby settled down and Sam was able to go back to sleep.

Colonel Davis had done a thorough sweep of the base and had started reviewing the tapes of gate travel to see if there were any unexplainable anomalies, but he couldn't find any. General O'Neill had Dr. Fraiser take Cassandra to the infirmary and check her out to make sure that another retrovirus wasn't affecting her. Dr. Fraiser gave her daughter a clean bill of health. Jack then went over in greater detail with Cassandra exactly what happened. The next day they went out to the park along with Cassie to see if she could sense a Goa'uld.

After painstaking hours of sweeping the park, no anomalies were found. Cassie told Jack that she knows what she felt and he said that he didn't doubt her. He asked if she wanted to stay with them on base. She said that she had an exam Tuesday and she really needed to get with her group and study for it. She said that it could mean the difference between an A and a B grade. He then assigned two guards to Cassie and gave each of the guards a Zat gun. He knew it was not normal procedure to let that type of weapon out in the real world but Cassandra's health and safety was at stake and he was not going to take any chances. Jack escorted Cassie back to her dorm and made special arrangements with the Commandant for Cassie's guards.

Monday morning Jack lifted the level two alert on base but stepped up the scanning process when the teams returned. General O'Neill checked in with Cassie to make sure she wasn't abusing her personal guards. She told him that she was fine and he said that he would leave them with her for a couple of days and if nothing happened then she would have the chance to dismiss them.

It was Monday morning and Sam woke up feeling great. She had a lot of things to do today. She had to get the electricity put in her name; get her phone turned on and she was going to try and see the Commandant about a job. She hoped that maybe there was an opening for her at the Academy. She made an appointment to meet with him on Tuesday afternoon. Until that time she had a lot of things to do, like opening a bank account and getting some order back into her life.

Tuesday morning Sam was feeling a bit woozy. She told the baby to settle down and that she would go by and see a doctor very soon. She had a big lunch and then drove onto the Academy grounds. She was nervous and hoped that the big lunch put the baby to sleep while she talked with the Commandant.

Cassie had just finished her exam and was talking to one of her classmates about the test when someone walking by caught her eye. She thought that she recognized a woman on the other side of the street. She moved quickly to get a better look but the lady was out of sight. Cassie ran across the street with her guards running to catch up to her. Cassie ran around the corner of the building trying to verify what had just registered in her mind. When she rounded the corner all she saw were cadets, and not her friend. When he guards caught up with her she asked them if they had noticed the blonde hair lady who just walked by. Both of them said that they didn't see anything. Cassie growled in anger at their lack of observation skills.

Cassie got back to her dorm room, got on the phone and called General O'Neill. She told him that she didn't need her guards any longer and they wouldn't be of any assistance to her if anything happened to her. She said that they were blind as a bat and that she was safer hanging with her friends.

Jack was stunned to hear Cassie talking like this. He asked her what was the matter. She that she thought that she saw an old friend on campus but of course her guards didn't see anything. She said that they really weren't very observant and not of much use to her. He told her that he preferred that they stay with her and she told him it was best if they left. Jack recognized Cassie's tone of voice and knew that for the guard's own safety he should recall them. He told her that he would recall them but advised her to call him if she got that feeling again. Cassie thanked Jack and apologized for loosing her cool with him. He laughed and said that she was just like her mother.

Sam walked into the Commandant's office and felt like she was a new recruit about to go before the Commandant for the first time instead of being an accomplished scientist. The Commandant greeted Sam with a hug and they exchanged pleasantries. He then asked her what was on her mind. She told him that she was wondering if they had any openings in their science department because she would like to come teach at the Academy. He said that they are rather short in that area. He asked her if she had ever taught and she said that she had just left a teaching job and handed him her resume.

The Commandant asked her what she was doing down here. She said that she just got divorce in Seattle and needed to get away from her ex and that was why she had to suddenly quit in Seattle. Sam told the Commandant that she wanted to be honest with him. She said that she was pregnant but was planning to work as long as possible before having the baby and wanted to work after having the baby. She said that she really liked teaching and hoped that he wouldn't hold her condition against her when considering her for a job.

They talked for about an hour and when Sam left his office, she had a smile on her face and a teaching contract in her briefcase. She could not believe that the Commandant still thought so highly of her. She decided to look around the campus first before going to her office. The Commandant wanted her to get set up now so that she could teach this summer. He said that he was going to include her name on the roaster of professors for summer classes. Sam finished her quick tour of the area and went to her assigned office. A few hours later the baby signaled that it was hungry.

Sam looked out her window and saw that it was getting dark outside and she needed to be heading home. She was wondering what to eat for dinner when she drove by Mario's and the baby let her know he wanted Italian. Sam pulled in and placed her order to go, and used the bathroom before her drive home. She picked up her order and walked out into the parking lot. She noticed a truck in the lot that reminded her of Jack's truck. She laughed it off, got in her car and started home.

This was the first chance for Jack to spend time off the base and he was in the mood for Italian. He pulled into the parking lot and thought he recognized a silver vehicle in the lot but his attention was diverted when another vehicle almost hit him. He went into the restaurant and the waiter put him at his usual booth. The waiter brought over a glass of red wine and Jack took a sip. As he was drinking his wine when he thought that he saw a woman who looked a lot like Sam from the back. He knew that it wasn't Sam because Sam had long hair and she was in Seattle with Tom. Besides, this woman had short hair and looked like she weighed a little more than Sam. He didn't mean that she was fat; it just that her clothes fit her very snugly. He put down his glass hoping to see her face as she exited but Mario's wife came to the table and blocked his view.

Sam spent the rest of the week at the Academy getting set up for classes and shopping for her new apartment. She finally decided on a gynecologist and arranged for her records to be transferred down here. When Sam finished her exam and the doctor said that she wanted to do an ultra sound which would put Sam at just over four months development. She went over the dos and don'ts for Sam and reminded Sam that she was eating for two.

Sam was feeling fantastic, she got a good check up, had a new job, a new apartment and new furniture. Her future was looking brighter. Sam decided that maybe it was time that she considered buying some maternity clothes so she went shopping. She dreaded the idea of going to a maternity shop but they were the only places that had clothes that allowed her to still look professional. Besides, she wanted to look nice when she finally got up the nerve to talk to Jack.

It was Friday night and Jack had just settled in with a cold beer to watch a hockey game, his favorite team was playing tonight. It was coming down to the playoffs and Jack was hoping that his team would make the playoffs. The doorbell rang and he growled because someone was disturbing him. He put his bowl of popcorn and his cold beer on the table and went to the door.

Karen was standing at Jack's door in a skimpy dress. He could smell alcohol on her breath and knew that she was drunk. She strolled in without him inviting her in and she walked into the living room. She picked up the television remote and turned off Jack's hockey game. He told her that he was watching the game. She told him that she had something else for him to watch. Karen reached behind her and unzipped her dress, letting it drop to the floor, revealing her sexy underwear.

Jack rushed over and started to pull up her dress when the doorbell rang again. He jerked open the door and was happy to see Daniel. Jack had forgotten that he had invited Daniel over. He grabbed Daniel and told him not to leave. Daniel walked in and noticed that Karen was half naked in Jack's living room. He asked if he was interrupting anything. Karen told Daniel that he was not invited and for him to leave.

Jack grabbed Daniel and told him that if he left, he was a dead man. He asked Daniel to help him get Karen out of here, saying that she was drunk. Daniel and Jack were walking into the living room when the doorbell rang again. Daniel told Jack that he took the liberty of inviting Teal'c over since he was visiting the mountain.

Jack opened the door and Teal'c stepped in. Teal'c entered and noticed a half dressed woman in the living room. He asked if he was interrupting anything. Karen said yes and Jack shouted no. He said that if anyone was interrupting it was Karen. He told Daniel to set the recorder so they could watch the rest of the game later. He asked Teal'c if he would help him take Karen home. Teal'c said that he would assist him. Jack pulled Karen's dress up while Daniel held her up because Karen had just passed out. Just then the doorbell rang again.

"What is this, Grand Central Station?" Jack exclaimed.

Daniel told Jack that he also invited Janet to join them since he and Janet were seeing one, and he didn't want to exclude her. Teal'c answered the door and Janet stepped in with a six-pack of beer. She took a look at Karen and asked the General if he could use her help. Jack asked her if she wouldn't mind helping him take Karen home. She told the General to put Karen in her car and he could drive Karen's car home.

Jack carried Karen to Janet's car and then up her apartment stairs and to her bedroom. Janet then told the General that she would take it from here. As Jack was leaving Janet asked him if he was still seeing Karen and he told her no. He said that he told her twice that he didn't want to see her again. Janet said that was all she wanted to know. She told the General that he could wait for her outside in her car.

Janet was tempted to do a number on Karen for referring to her and Cassie as bimbos, but she changed her mind. Karen woke up and asked where she was. Janet said that she brought Karen home. Karen asked where Jack was and Janet said that Jack wasn't here. Karen asked Janet if she was seeing Jack. Janet said that she saw Jack every day; they were very close and gave Karen a wink. Karen started to cry, saying that she wanted Jack. Janet told Karen that she was drunk and needed to sleep it off.

Janet then smiled and told Karen that Jack was a one-woman man and that she, pointing to Karen, just wasn't that woman. She told Karen that she needed to leave Jack alone because he was spoken for. Karen started crying more. Janet told Karen that she would be okay and that there were other men. Janet left Karen crying as she left the apartment and went to her vehicle where Jack was waiting on her.

Jack asked how Karen was. She said that Karen would have one hell of a hangover in the morning but other than that she would be fine. Jack said that he had told Karen repeatedly that he didn't want to see her any more. Janet said that she knew that and she gave Karen a pep talk. Jack asked her what she said. Janet smiled and said that she told Karen that she saw Jack on a daily basis and that they were close. Janet started laughing and gave Jack a wink when she saw Jack's shocked expression.

Janet said she told Karen that Jack was a one-woman type of guy. Jack asked Janet what she was talking about trying to hide his shock at her statement. Janet smiled at him and said that she knows the truth. Jack again asked Janet what she was talking about. She asked him how he felt about Sam. He told Janet that last he heard Sam was married and living in Seattle with a sour look on his face. Janet just laughed. Jack asked her why she was laughing. She said that he just proved her point. She told Jack that she knows that he never got over Sam and maybe one of these days he will finally admit it. Jack just looked questionably over at Janet. Janet continued to laugh because Jack just proved her point, he still couldn't even talk about Sam because of his feelings for her. She knew she was right; Jack still cared for Sam even after all this time.

Jack drove back to his house silently wondering if he was that transparent. He wondered if Janet really could tell that he still loved Sam. The only problem was that he loved Sam now more than ever, but she had gone back to her husband. He smiled thinking about Christmas and his special memory of Sam as he drove back to his house.

That night the group learned that Janet was rather knowledgeable in hockey. As a matter of fact she probably was the most vocal person during the game. Jack jokingly told Daniel to be careful because he might just steal Janet away from him. Jack stated that he loved a woman who was into hockey. Janet turned and smiled at Jack and he gave her wink. Daniel saw that and asked them what happened when they took Karen home. Both of them just turned and smiled at Daniel.

Sam made her ultrasound appointment and got the first photos of the baby, scanned it and sent it to Mary. At first Mary had been upset that Sam had not told her about the baby earlier but after a moment she understood why her friend had been so anxious to leave. Mary asked Sam if she had talked to the father yet and Sam said that she was busy getting settled in. Mary called Sam a chicken and told her to just get it over with. Sam said that she wanted to settle in and be established just in case the father rejected her. She didn't want to have to depend on him for anything and she wanted it to be his choice whether or not he participated in the baby's life.

Janet's little talk with Jack was making him think more and more about Sam. He had pulled up the residential phone book listing for the greater Seattle area. He searched and found several Jenkins, but only one: Jenkins, Thomas & Samantha. He picked up the phone and started punching in the phone number to that listing but hung up before he finished putting in the last number. He thought that maybe it would be better if he saw her in person. One day he even called an airline asking about the airfare to Seattle and almost made a reservation but chickened out once again.

Jack was surprised at his actions. He could not believe that a highly decorated soldier like himself, a former Black Ops solider, a person who faced death more times than he cared to count was afraid of rejection. He could handle anything and everything but Sam's rejection, especially after Chicago.

Sam was now almost in her fifth month and soon she would learn the sex of her baby. She suspected that she was carrying a boy. She didn't know what made her think that except that every time she told the baby, "settle down right now young man" the baby would behave. Sam was getting excited about the baby but at the same time she was a little sad. Sam called Mary; she had to talk to someone about this. She told Mary that she wanted to share this with the father but she found out that he was seeing someone. Mary asked Sam how she knew that.

Sam said that she had gone by his house to talk to him a little while back and saw him carrying a brunette lady out of his house. Sam said that she was eating at her favorite restaurant when that same brunette came over and advised her that this was her table, stating that she and her fiancé, who was the baby's father, always sat at this table. Sam told Mary that she had waited too long and now the father of the baby had moved on and found someone else. Mary told Sam that he must be a complete idiot and she told Sam that she was better off not being involved with the jerk.

Mary had become concerned about her friend and decided to test Sam's feelings about the father. She called Sam up one afternoon and got Sam to talk about the baby and soon the subject of the father came up. Mary then started saying bad things about the father, stating that he was irresponsible and said that he probably thinks that he is God's gift to womanhood. Sam told Mary to stop it, saying that because she didn't know anything about him and said that Jack was not like that at all.

Mary was smiling on the other end of the line. She had finally found out something about the father. Sam told Mary that if she continued to talk about him that way, then maybe she shouldn't call her any more. Mary started to laugh and Sam asked her what was so funny. Mary said that she was now sure that Sam was still in love with Jack. Mary told Sam that time was running out of time and she needed to find Jack and tell him everything.

Sam had a big smile on her face as she left the doctor's office. She was right, she was carrying Jack's son. She felt herself swell up with pride; she was carrying his namesake. Even if he didn't want to be a part of his son's life, she knew that she would make out just fine with the baby and hoped that he would be big and strong like his father. Sam couldn't stop grinning; she was so happy.

She went to see the Commandant to advise him of the progress in her pregnancy. She knew that she was going to have to work closely with him so she could make arrangements for the birth of her son.

As Sam walked in the Commandant's office he handed her a colorful paper. It announced that the USAF Academy is proud to add a renowned scientist, published author and former Major in the USAF, Samantha Carter Ph.D. to the staff of the Academy. She smiled and told him that it wasn't necessary. He laughed and told her that he was trying to up the other military academies. He said that they were always bragging about the professors they had but when she became a part of his staff, he topped them all. She laughed and told him that she hoped that she didn't let him down. He told her that there was no chance of it happening.

Sam left the Commandant's office deciding that this was definitely a good day. She found out that she was going to have a son and the Commandant was happy to have her on his teaching staff. She was back in a city that she liked, she was going to be teaching again, and the baby was in good health. She thought about it nodded her head to herself; today was definitely a great day.

Jack had just pulled up at the academic building and parked. He owed the Commandant a lunch for allowing armed bodyguards on campus to protect Cassie. He was hoping that he could talk the Commandant into going out to eat. He dreaded eating in the commissary. The students would come up to him and try to talk to him and he would never be able to eat in peace. He entered the Commandant's office and noticed the Commandant had quite a few papers scattered about his desk. Jack smiled because he had finally learned the fine art of making his desk look neat.

The Commandant grabbed his jacket so they could go out to lunch and brushed against his desk knocking some papers to the ground. Jack bent down and was putting the papers in order when he noticed a colorful page. He pulled it out and read it. He stood up holding the paper in front of him and read it again. He looked at the Commandant and asked about the paper. The Commandant said that he was just tooting his horn about his latest acquisition to his teaching staff.

The Commandant asked Jack if he knew Dr. Samantha Carter, stating that she use to work at Cheyenne Mountain years ago. Jack asked if this was Samantha Carter, daughter of General Jacob Carter. The Commandant thought about it a moment and said that was her. He said that she just left about a minute ago. Jack asked if she mentioned where she was going. The Commandant said she was probably going to her office in the science building. Jack turned and walked to the door. He told the Commandant that he would have to give him a rain check on lunch and that he would upgrade it to dinner at his favorite restaurant as he exited the office.

Jack left the commandant's office without waiting for a reply. He asked the secretary where the science building was and if she knew where Dr. Samantha Carter's office was located. She gave him directions; he thanked her, turn and sprinted away. The cadets in the hallway were shocked at what they saw; a General sprinting down the hallway and they were wondering if something was wrong.

Jack ran out of the building, and put his cap on. He looked around to get his bearings and to see if he could spot her, but he didn't see her. He walked with broad determined steps towards the science building. As he walked he thought about Sam being right here under his nose and how she never called him. He was going to find her and this time when he found her things were going to be different.

Cassie had read the bulletin on the Internet and wondered if this was her Sam. Cassie went to the office designated for Dr. Carter but no one was there. Cassie decided to come back later and walked towards the exit doors. There were quite a few people in the hall as it was in between classes.

Cassie had just walked past the water fountain and noticed a lady taking a drink but thought nothing of it. Suddenly she had the same feeling as when she was in the park. She thought that she sensed a Goa'uld nearby. She turned and looked back at the lady who had finished drinking from the fountain. The woman turned and Cassie expected to see the lady's eyes take on that eerie golden glow.

After walking briskly from the Commandant's office Sam had worked up a thirst. She stopped at the fountain for a drink of water. Until her bottled water stand was installed she would have to continue to use the water fountain. Sam felt like camel with all of the water that she was drinking. Suddenly she felt a sensation and she stopped drinking. It was a vaguely familiar feeling. She stood upright and looked in the direction where she felt the sensation. Looking directly at Sam was a red haired cadet. It all fit now, she knew in an instant that this beautiful young lady was Cassandra Fraiser.

Cassie looked at the lady and said, "Sam" in a shaky voice. The look the lady's eyes proved beyond the shadow of a doubt to Cassie that it was Samantha. She threw open her arms as she rushed over to Sam. Cassie was so glad to see Sam. She wasn't going crazy and those sensations she felt before must have been Sam.

Sam was shocked to see Cassandra dressed as a cadet. She held open her arms and Cassandra rushed into them. She hugged Cassandra as tears welled up in her eyes. Cassie stepped back after a moment and turned Sam around, noticing the obvious protrusion. She asked Sam if she was pregnant. Sam said no, and laughingly stated that she was really smuggling watermelons into the building.

Cassandra started her barrage of questions to Sam. Such as when did she get here, how far along is the baby, is it a boy or a girl. Sam stopped Cassie and said that she would tell her if she let her get a word in edgewise.

Cassandra was standing in front of Sam facing the exit doors. Cassie heard a loud noise and noticed the doors to the building were being yanked open. Cassandra looked up and saw an officer enter the building, surrounded by bright sunlight. It was General Jack O'Neill who had a steely look of determination on his face. She held her breath wondering what was about to happen.

Jack spotted Sam quickly when he opened the doors to the building. It was easy for him to spot the woman that he loved amongst the cadets. At a quick glance he saw that her hair was shorter than it was in Chicago. Yet, there was something about her that made her seem more beautiful than the last time he saw her.

"Carter!" Jack said in a very loud voice. It was so loud that everyone walking in the corridor stopped what they were doing.

Sam felt her heart beating so hard and thought it was going to beat its way out of her chest. Sam didn't even have to think about who just called her name. There was only one person who called her by that name. Sam turned her head to look over her shoulder to look at the man who had called out her name.

Standing in the doorway surrounded by rays of sunshine was a rugged handsome figure of an officer. The sunshine that surrounded him made Jack look even more majestic and stately in his General's uniform. His image was breath taking to Sam. Suddenly Sam was scared, she was afraid that he was angry with her because of the way he called out her name. She thought about running away but her feet refused to move. Instead she watched over her shoulder as Jack walked towards her.

Jack removed his cap as he entered the building and walked with large determined strides towards Sam. He wasn't going to let her get away from him. He was going to do whatever it took to get her back in his life. He was so focused on Sam that he didn't notice the cadets stepping back and clearing a wide path for him.

"Sam," Jack said in a softer tone as he stopped next to her.

Sam turned a bit more to face him with uncertainty evident in her eyes. Jack reached up and cupped her face in his hand as he stared lovingly into her eyes. Then Jack did something very un-general like as he held Sam's face in his hand. He kissed her passionately. Cassie took a hold of his cap freeing up his other hand, which he moved the other side of Sam's face as he continued to kiss her. Nothing else seemed to exist for him except for the woman he was kissing. Sam wrapped her arms around Jack, returning his kiss with an equally passionate kiss. Several of the cadets in the hallway started applauding and cheering at what they saw.

Jack and Sam remained in their passionate lip lock, ignoring everyone around them. Jack abruptly stopped kissing Sam when he felt something hit his stomach. He stepped back to see what had hit him. He looked down and for the first time he noticed that Sam was pregnant. Sam noticed the look of shock on Jack's face.

"Merry Christmas Jack," Sam said softly with a smile.

"Mine, right?" he quietly asked Sam as he put his hand on her tummy.

Sam looked at him with love in her eyes and nodded yes. Just then he felt his hand being kicked and Jack started smiling.

Jack's smile was so big it almost split his face. He took Sam in his embrace again and laid a kiss on her that could have melted the polar ice caps. Again he was kicked in the gut. He leaned back as he again placed his hand on her belly.

"It looks like our son wants some attention too," Sam said with a smile on her lips.

"A son! We're going to have a son?" Jack asked.

Sam nodded yes again. Jack then started smothering Sam with kisses. Cassie cleared her throat to get their attention. For the first time Jack realized that they were the center of attention in the hallway. Sam started blushing when she realized that everyone was watching them. Jack then escorted Sam towards her office.

Several of the students stood there with their mouths hanging open and in shock at what they saw. Cassie, still holding Jack's hat, told them to move along that there was nothing here for them to see. After the crowd had cleared Cassie walked into Sam's office and saw General Jack O'Neill on his knees kissing Sam's belly. She put Jack's hat on Sam's desk and said that she was leaving; she figured that they needed some time alone. She told Sam to call her, stating Jack had her number. She closed the door behind her to keep out prying eyes; this was private moment for the two of them.

The next few moments Jack remained on his knees kissing and touching Sam's belly. He could feel his son kicking up a fuss. Jack's heart was pounding so loudly and proudly that it he figured everyone could hear it. Jack stood up and kissed Sam and held her firmly in his arms. He didn't want to let her go. He was afraid she would run away again.

Sam said that she needed to sit down and so he reluctantly released his hold on her. Sam sat down and told Jack that she figured that he had a lot of questions for her and that she was ready to answer them. However, she said that she was starving to death and so was the baby. Jack asked her where she wanted to go eat. She looked at him and said that she was in the mood for Chinese and she knew the best place to go.

They were served lunch and Jack started to ask her questions. She asked him to hold off for a few minutes because if she didn't eat right away their son was going to kick her to death. Jack watch as Sam practically inhaled her lunch. He wasn't even half finished when she cleaned her plate. She let out a big burp and excused herself. She said it was the baby's way of letting her know that he liked her food choice.

Sam then stared telling Jack everything. She reminded him of the trouble she had with Tom and stated that her marriage had fallen apart long ago and how alone she felt in the world. Sam told Jack that when she met him in Chicago it sent her heart soaring and she felt as someone cared about her. She admitted to Jack that she never ever stopped caring about him. Sam said that her time in Chicago was wonderful and one of the best Christmas' she had since she was a child.

Sam then blushed and said that their special time together was wonderful too. She said that at that time they didn't know it, but what they shared together had a lasting effect on her. She was happier than she had been in a long time at Christmas and he had given her the best Christmas present ever, a baby.

Sam then explained why she left so suddenly. She said that when she brought up Charlie's name, he was obviously upset and she figured that she had ruined his Christmas. Sam stated that when he dropped her off at the hotel that night she felt that she had burst the happy bubble that they were living in for those few days. She said that real life came crashing in on her. She told Jack that she was afraid to face him after that and so she left. Sam looked down at her plate as of tears rolled down her face.

Jack reached over and wiped away the tears that were rolling down her cheeks. He apologized for turning away from her like he did that day. He said that he had planned on talking to her the next morning. He was going to share things with her that he never told anyone else about Charlie. He said that when he went by her hotel, he found out that she left and knew she left because he had pushed her away. He said that he had chased her back to her unhappy marriage and he apologized to her for that. He said that just as suddenly as she appeared in his life, she disappeared from his life. He said that seeing her at Christmas had strengthened his feelings for her.

Sam said that six weeks after she came back from Chicago she started having morning sickness. She went to the doctor and confirmed that she was pregnant. There was no doubt in her mind who the father of the baby was. She told Jack that the last time she had been with Tom before she got pregnant was in October of last year.

Sam then told Jack about the problem she experienced getting a divorce from Tom. Jack told her that she should have called him and he could have done something to help her. She told Jack that she wanted to be free of Tom before she told him about the baby. She said that she was also trying to protect him; she didn't want to do anything that might damage his career. Jack told Sam that his career wouldn't have mattered one bit; she was what mattered to him.

Sam said that Tom was trying to hurt her by saying she was to blame for them not being able to have children. She said that Tom told her that there something wrong with her. She said that she later found out that Tom had been dating a seventeen-year-old girl for over a year and that girl was now pregnant with his baby. Tom then bragged about not having to use fertility drugs to get his girlfriend pregnant. Jack could see that this was painful for Sam to talk about as tears rolled rapidly down her cheeks.

Jack wiped away the tears and took Sam's hands. He said that Tom was wrong. Jack told Sam that she has always been woman enough to have children; it's just that Tom wasn't man enough and he wasn't the right man to give her a baby. He kissed Sam's hands and noticed that she was wearing the diamond watch he bought her for Christmas, bringing a smile to his face.

Jack told Sam that he still wished that she had called on him for help. He then asked her how long she had been in Colorado Springs. She told him when she came in and he stated that was about the time that Cassie thought she sensed a Goa'uld as in the park. Sam said that apparently she was the person that Cassie sensed that day. Sam said that she had gone to the park to celebrate her coming home. Jack smiled because Sam called Colorado Springs home. He asked her why she hadn't contacted him sooner.

She told Jack that on the day she was going to see him, she saw carrying a young brunette woman in his arms from his house. She said that she ran into the brunette again while shopping a few weeks ago as well as at Mario's and the brunette said that she and the General were going to be married. Jack's eyes got large and he practically shouted that Karen was lying. He told Sam that he never stopped loving her so there was no way in hell that he would ever consider marrying anyone else.

Jack told Sam that the brunette's name was Karen. He said that they dated for a bit before Christmas but it wasn't anything serious. He said that after he returned from his Christmas holiday things were different. He said that he was no longer interested in dating her or anyone else. He said that he tried to let Karen down easily but she refused to take the hints. He said that he told Karen to move on because it was over between them. He said that he thought that she finally got the message, but from what he just heard, it looks as if Karen was still living in her fantasy world.

Jack said that after Christmas, Daniel and Janet both commented on how much time he spent on base. He said that they tried to get him to do things together with them, but he refuse because he felt like a third wheel with those two. He noticed Sam's look when he mentioned Daniel and Janet. He then informed her that they were dating and that things were beginning to look serious between those two.

Jack told Sam that ever since Chicago he thought about her all the time. He said that he even thought he saw her one time at Mario's. He said that he now knows that it must have been her and he wished he had confronted her at that time.

Sam asked Jack how he found her at the Academy. He explained while he was taking the Commandant out to lunch and the Commandant knocked some papers off of his desk. Jack said that he helped pick them up and noticed the announcement about adding Samantha Carter Ph.D. to the teaching staff. The Commandant then asked him if he knew Sam because she used to work at Cheyenne Mountain a few years ago. Jack said he raced out of the Commandant's office trying to catch her; he had to find her. He said that now that he found her; he wasn't about to let her slip out his life again.

Sam started fidgeting and Jack asked her what was wrong. She asked him if he wanted to be a small part of the baby's life. He looked at her and shook his head and softly said "No". Sam started breathing rapidly and tears rapidly rolled down her cheeks. She realized that Jack was rejecting her and everything he just told her had been a lie. Jack took Sam's hand and apologized as he shook his head. Jack said that he didn't want to be a small part of the baby's life.

Jack thought he would be a little dramatic then realized that he had overdone it when he saw Sam crying. He then told her that she was not going to brush him off that easily. He told Sam that he plans on being a very big part of the baby's life if she will let him. Sam looked up, smiled and told him that she would like that. Jack smiled and said he was glad to hear that.

Jack told Sam that several times he planned on driving up to Seattle, punching out Tom, kidnapping her and bringing her back where she belongs, back to Colorado Springs and back by his side. Jack stated that that the only reason he didn't do that was because he didn't want to stand in the way of her happiness. He said the only reason he let her leave Colorado Springs was so that she could find the happiness she deserved. He then said the day she left Colorado Springs was the day she took his heart with her.

Sam managed to call Cassie that evening and asked her not to tell anyone that she was back. Cassie asked why. Sam said that first she and Jack had a few things to work out and once that was settled then they would let everyone know that she is back. Cassie said that she would keep quiet but told them to hurry things up because she was bursting at the seams with excitement.

Jack called Colonel Davis and advised that he would not be in until Monday. Davis was surprised that General O'Neill asked for that much time off. The General almost never took off any time away from the SGC. The last time the General took any time off was at Christmas and he couldn't really remember any time before that.

The following Monday Jack walked into the facility whistling a happy tune as he walked to his office. For the next month Jack was in good mood and no one at work could figure out why. Daniel asked Janet to do a medical check on Jack to see if he got infected with some virus because he was too cheerful. Jack just laughed with them as they teased him about his good mood, but he refused to divulge to anyone why he was so happy.

Sam spent the next month having most of her stuff moved into Jack's house. She still wanted to retain her apartment just in case something went wrong. Sure she was practically living at Jack's house, but she didn't feel that it was right to move completely in with him despite Jack asking her to. He told her that it was best for her and the baby but Sam said that she wasn't going to pay rent on the apartment and not stay there every now and then.

Summer classes had started and Sam took her place in the teaching staff. The students were eager to learn and she found that she looked forward to each day of class. Many of the students wanted to learn a little bit about her since she use to be a Major in the USAF and asked about some of the things she did while in the service. Sam was glad to share that information with them, minus anything about the Stargate Project. She was happy to be teaching, happy to be in Colorado Springs and happy to be with Jack.

One afternoon one of the female cadets stayed behind to talk with Sam. She said that she had first seen Dr. Carter in the hallway of the Science building when a General walked up to her and planted a big kiss on her. Sam blushed at hearing this and reluctantly admitted that was her. The cadet stated that it was very romantic. She then asked Professor Carter if she kept her maiden name for professional reasons. Sam said that she earned her Doctorate's degree in her maiden name and uses it professionally. The cadet thanked Sam for her time and left the classroom.

Suddenly Sam felt sad. She had returned to teaching, she had returned to Colorado Springs, and she was pregnant with Jack's baby. Sure she and Jack were together but something didn't feel right. She thought about her situation and remembered that she always like having the option to leave. She really didn't plan on going anywhere but it had always made her feel better having that option. But now she found that she no longer wanted the option and she no longer wanted to live in her apartment. She wanted to live in a home not Jack's house. She wanted to live in a home that was theirs together. The truth is that Sam wanted her and Jack to be more than just lovers.

After that day Sam tried several times to bring the subject of their relationship up but Jack didn't seem to catch the hint. She tried another way to bring up the subject by talking about baby names. Before she could say anything about the last name he said that he hoped that "baby Carter" grew up to be as smart as his mommy. That was all she needed to hear. Jack liked things the way they were and didn't seem interested in changing anything about their relationship. Sam quit hinting and decided to drop the subject entirely. Despite her earlier wishes of wanting something more permanent in her life, she had resolved that she would take Jack any way she could have him.

It pained Jack to see the dejected look on Sam's face. He knew exactly what she was hinting at and he hated having to toss the idea aside as if he didn't want to talk about it. He had planned on changing things very dramatically for them as soon as he received his special package.

What Sam didn't know was that a couple of days after Jack found her; he made a call to his mother asking her to find something for him. Jack was calling his mother almost every day asking the progress of the project. Finally after a month of searching the object was found. He arranged for a special courier to pick up the package and to have it delivered to the base. Before Jack hung up the phone, his mother told him to hurry and not keep Sam waiting any longer. He asked her what made her think it was Sam, and she said that a mother just knows these types of things.

Two days later a package arrived at the front gate and could only be released to General Jack O'Neill. So Jack went to the front gate to take possession of the package that he had been trying to get for a month. Jack took the package and returned to his office without saying a word to anyone about it.

That night when Jack got home he found a note from Sam stating that she was at her apartment. She advised that she needed some peace and quiet while grading her students' papers. Jack smiled because this would give him the time that he needed to finish working on his project. He rushed to his bedroom and searched through a few things until he found what he needed and went out shopping. Jack placed his special order at the store and was told that it would be ready on Tuesday. Jack then went home and went about making other arrangements that he couldn't normally do when Sam was around.

Tuesday afternoon Jack took off early from work to run an errand. He had to practically beg Sam to come out to dinner with him. Jack felt as if Sam spending more time at her apartment to stay away from him on purpose. Jack was fearful that his ignoring her hints at becoming a family had hurt her deeply.

Jack took Sam to his favorite restaurant, Mario's, where they were seated at their usual booth. As expected Mario's wife came rushing out of the kitchen when she heard that Jack and Sam were at the restaurant. She did her usual fussing over the couple and then returned to the kitchen. Jack and Sam were served dinner and Jack noticed that instead of devouring her dinner, Sam just sort of picked at it.

Jack began to worry about Sam's condition. He wondered if he had waited too long and if wondered if he was wrong to have waited for his package. It was just so important to him to have his package and he hoped that one day she would understand why he had to delay things. The waiter cleared the dinner dishes and Jack had them fix up a take out bag for Sam for later that evening, knowing that the baby liked Mario's late at night.

Karen walked into the restaurant expecting to get her usual booth when she noticed that it was occupied. She couldn't believe whom she saw sitting in the booth. It was her Jack and that blonde lady she spoke to a while back. She was about to go over and cause a scene when her passage was blocked and everyone started shushing anyone talking. She peeked over the shoulder of a waiter blocking her path and was shocked at what she saw.

Jack stepped out of the booth and Sam started to get up so they could leave. Jack stopped in front of her and went down on one knee before her. Suddenly everything was quiet in the restaurant. Jack took Sam's hand as he spoke to her.

Jack told Sam that ever since she walked in on his meeting back in 1997 he knew that there was something very special about her. He remembers her saying that once he got to know her, he would really like her. He said that instead of just liking her, he ended up loving her. Jack admitted that he is a stubborn man and refuses to let go of certain ideas and feelings, like his love for her. Jack said that he was a fool for letting her slip away from him twice. He said that wasn't going to let her slip away ever again.

Jack pulled out a velvet box from his pocket and opened it to reveal a wedding ring which he showed to Sam. He then asked Sam if she would do him the honor and privilege of becoming a permanent part of his life. Jack asked Sam if she would marry him.

The restaurant was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop in the back room. Everyone was on edge waiting for the answer. Sam looked at Jack with tears in her eyes, causing Jack to swallow a large lump that had formed in his throat while he waited for her answer. Then he happened.

Sam stared deeply into Jack's eyes, nodded her head and said, "Yes, she would marry him". The restaurant erupted into cheer as Jack removed the ring from the box and slipped it on Sam's finger before kissing her.

They were still kissing as several people came and patted the couple on the back. Mario's wife told Jack to give Sam some air. She told them to first have this baby before they worked on having another.

Karen left the restaurant crying. She couldn't believe what she just saw. She wanted to get away, not just from the restaurant but away from Colorado Springs. She had made such a fool of herself over Jack. Now he had snubbed her by proposing to a pregnant lady. She knew that Jack had no class and this confirmed it. Karen decided that she needed a change in scenery and thought that Denver sounded promising as she drove away from the restaurant.

Jack sat next to Sam and apologized for being so public. He said that he was just tired of keeping his love for her a secret. He said that he wanted everyone to know that she was the special one for him. He then apologized for making her wait so long for this proposal and said that he had a real good reason.

He said a couple of days after they got together he called his mother and told her the good news. He said he wanted to propose to her right away but was waiting for his mother to find his grandmother's ring. Jack said that his grandmother had left him her wedding ring. His grandmother told him that when he found the right woman he should give her this ring and they would always be together.

Sam said that she was sorry to hear about his grandmother passing away. He smiled and told Sam that his grandmother died when he was seventeen years old but he never forgot about the ring. He said that he just now found the right woman to wear his grandmother's ring. Once he got it, he had to wait a couple of days to have it sized just right for her. Sam had tears streaming down her eyes after hearing Jack's story. Jack held her in his arms and told Sam that he loved her.

The next day Jack arranged to have the rest of Sam's stuff moved into "their" house. Jack sent a message to Jacob Carter on the Tok'ra home world, asking him to please come to Earth for an important meeting. What Jack didn't say was that the important meeting was about him doing the proper thing and officially asking Jacob for Sam's hand in marriage. He figured if that bit of news didn't kill Jacob or Jacob kill him, then he would let Jacob know that he was going to be a grandfather again. Jack received word that Jacob would be free in three days. With that done, Jack had one other thing to take care of.

Jack found Daniel and Janet talking together in the infirmary. He asked them if they were free for dinner on Friday, stating that he was grilling at his house. They looked at each other because they had planned on going out and having a romantic evening. Jack noticed the look on their faces and then told Janet that he could make it an order with a smile on his face. Daniel and Janet agreed to attend. He told them to bring Cassie with them as he walked out of the infirmary. One more person left to go he thought and went in search of Teal'c.

Friday night Jack's invited guests were in the backyard talking while Jack started up the grill. Cassie was smiling because she had figured out what this was all about. Jack called out to them, asking where the steaks were because he was ready to start grilling.

Right on cue, Sam walked out onto the wood deck with a plate full of steaks and stated that she had the steaks right here. Janet let out a scream of excitement and ran over to Sam. Cassie ran over and gave Sam a big hug. Daniel's and Teal'c reaction was not quite as emotional as Janet's or Cassie's but they were very happy to see Sam.

Everyone then took notice of Sam's condition and looked over at Jack who just smiled and shrugged his shoulders. He walked over to Sam and put his arm around her. Jack calmly said that he ran into an old love in Chicago during Christmas and he share a little bit more than expected with her and rubbed Sam's tummy. Jack then took Sam's left hand in his hand and kissed her hand before displaying Sam's wedding ring. Jack then announced that he and his soon to be wife were going to have a son together.

Sam, Janet and Cassie went over in a corner to talk while the guys gathered around the grill. Janet told Sam to tell her everything about what happened. Sam told Janet that in Chicago she and Jack had a chance to talk. They finally revealed the truth about how they really felt about each other despite the lapse in time.

Sam told them about her problems in her marriage and how badly things had gone. She talked about the undergoing fertility treatments for over three year and nothing happened. Then after only sharing two nights with Jack here she is months later carrying her Christmas present.

Janet and Cassie asked Sam when Jack popped the question. Sam smiled and said that she had to wait a bit because of the ring and explained the significance of the ring. Janet smiled at hearing this and walked over to Jack.

"I always knew you were a romantic at heart," Janet said to Jack as she kissed his cheek.

Jack smiled and asked Janet if she was a good doctor. Janet asked why he would ask such a thing. He said that he wanted to make sure that she would be able to patch him up. They all turned and looked at Jack as if he was going crazy.

Jack explained that he had asked Jacob Carter to come to Earth tomorrow. He was going to ask Jacob if he could marry Sam and then inform Jacob that he was about to be a grandfather again. He said just in case Jacob didn't like the news, he wanted to make sure that Janet could patch him up so he could get married before baby O'Neill was born. Everyone laughed at Jack's comment about facing Jacob Carter.

Janet asked Sam if she was happy. She told Janet that she was really happy. Sam said that she finally realized that even when she was married to Tom, she never stopped loving Jack. Sam said that she believed that she and Jack had to be apart in order to realize how much they belonged together. Sam said that she never believed in destiny before; but these past few months have caused her to change her mind. Sam smiled as she rubbed her distended belly.

Daniel walked over and said that he knew that Jack and Sam were destined to be together. Sam looked up at him with a question on her face. He reminded her of all of the alternate realities and how Jack and Sam were together in them. He said that he knew that it was just a matter of time before destiny brought them together. He reminded her of the incredible odds that she would be knocked down and that Jack would be the one to save her. He laughed and said that it was written in the stars.

Jack then called out that dinner was served and the group sat down for dinner. It was one of the best times they all had in a long time. All of SG-1 was reunited again. They all raised their glasses in a toast. "To the original SG-1. The best team ever."

Sam was walked through the checkpoints and given her temporary pass. Jack escorted her to his office where he asked her to wait until he broke the news to Jacob. Sam gave him a kiss for good luck. Jack thanked her and said that he would need it. He said that he was more nervous about talking to Jacob than fighting the Goa'ulds.

The wormhole activated and the Iris was opened after receiving the Tok'ra IDC. Jacob Carter walked down the ramp towards General O'Neill. Jack swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat and worriedly looked over at Daniel and Janet who were standing by his side.

"Don't worry sir, my trauma team is ready just in case," Janet said with a smile.

"Dad, always good to see you. " Jack still had the habit of calling General Carter "dad" from when Sam was with SG-1.

"Come on up to the briefing room, we need to talk Dad," Jack said as he hesitantly put his arm around Jacob Carter's shoulders and escorted him out of the gate room.

"Now this should be interesting to see," Janet said to Daniel.

"Come on, we don't want to miss a minute of the excitement," Daniel said with a chuckle as they exited the gate room.

~The End~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Barbara Louie