Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

That Blond, That Brown

by Atalya Shields
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
That blond, that brown. That blond, that brown. by Atalya Shields

TITLE: That blond, that brown.
AUTHOR: Atalya Shields
EMAIL: Sailor_Nemesis@sailormoon.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack romance
SPOILERS: Series 1, 2 and 3.
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Implicated sexual contact.
SUMMARY: After overhearing two individual conversations about the other, Sam and Jack mistake code names, and end up really hating each other, and get thrown into the brig to sort out there problems...
STATUS: Completed
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is my first Sam and Jack Fan Fic. Tell me what you think!


 

I don't know what is wrong with me. I can't concentrate properly, I can't work properly, I can't sleep or eat properly. I know Janet is worried about me, but how on earth could I tell her what is wrong?

"Hey, Sam!" I looked up. Daniel was grinning at me, as I walked blindly down the corridor. "Why are you going to the infirmary? Are you ill or something?" The young archaeologist's face creased with worry. I shook my head frantically. I hadn't even realised I was headed for the infirmary.

"I just wanted to see if Janet was finished yet," I lied quickly, hoping Daniel wouldn't notice my slight blush. He obviously didn't as he smiled cheerily.

"Soon. She was just packing up when I left." I smile briefly at Daniel, and moved on my way.

I had just composed myself again, when Colonel O'Neill walked around the corner. I'm sure my heart skips a beat every time I see him. All I need now is some way to keep my stomach from somersaulting every time he smiles...

"Hey Carter..." He waves a hand at me, and strides off, brushing me off completely. I stop, and stare, and curse myself for thinking like this. He doesn't feel the same way, he's still in love with Sarah...

Sighing, I turn again, and head for the infirmary.

 

I really can't get her out of my head. I had just managed to put her out for about one second, when I turned the corner, and there she was. I tried to ignore her, and just waved, and said: "Hey, Carter."

That was good. Got past her without suffering a heart attack just because she looked at me. This is getting way out of hand. She's my 2IC, it's against the regs... But then, she obviously doesn't feel the same way I do about her, so there is not crime in actually thinking about it, is there.

I just made it into the corridor that takes me to the locker rooms, when I caught up with Daniel. He smiled at me, and followed me in. I sat down, and started to unlace my boots. Daniel sat down next to me.

"Hi, Jack," he grins cheerfully.

"Hello, Daniel." I know I snapped. I was just a bit out of sorts.

He stared at me, concerned. "What's wrong?"

What's wrong? It would take me all day to tell him what was wrong.

 

I should have kept walking to the infirmary, but I couldn't. I turned and followed Jack quietly, making sure I wasn't seen when Daniel joined him in the locker room. I know it was wrong, but I had to eavesdrop on the conversation. That was when I heard Daniel talking.

"What's wrong?"

 

"What's wrong? I can't sleep. I can't even think straight. I think there's something wrong with me. Are you satisfied?" I stand up, trying not to shout.

Daniel stands up, and puts a friendly hand on my shoulder. "What is it?"

I sigh, and know Daniel won't leave me alone until I tell him.

"OK... Just promise me this won't leave this room."

"I promise. By my mouth it won't leave this room."

I nodded, satisfied with his answer. "I... have these against regs feelings for someone at SGC... I can't sleep, I can't eat, and I can't seem to get her out of my head. OK?"

Daniel stares at me concerned. "Who? Or would you rather not tell me?"

I'd rather not tell him... "She... has blond hair..." That's all I can say, before I am unable to work my mouth any longer.

Daniel shakes his head. "I wondered if you were going to admit your feelings for her."

That comment makes me raise my head. "What?"

"I know who it is, Jack. And if you don't want my advice, fine."

"Your... advice? Let me guess. Leave her alone, and not tell her. That's what I was planning to do anyway," I snort, and try to avoid Daniel's concerned gaze.

"That's exactly what you shouldn't do! Jack, you have to tell her."

I stare at Daniel, unable to think..."How long have you... I mean, I can barely admit to myself... I can't tell her!"

Daniel grinned. "The first day you two met. Boy, those sparks were flying."

I shake my head ruefully. "Yeah. You might be right... But I don't want to ruin our friendship."

"Phwar," Daniel snorts.

"Phwar?"

"Phwar. I'm pretty much sure she feels the same way."

That comment was slightly unbelievable from my point of view, but, to be honest, it did raise my hopes a little.

"Um," I mutter. "I'm going." I say quietly. "Thanks for being a friend Daniel."

Daniel nods. "Any time."

 

I stand there dumb for a few seconds, wondering who on earth it could be... Then the awful truth hit me. Major Marie Allinson, the young, petite, lush blond who just transferred here from the pentagon. I curse, and quickly get my feet to pedal me back to the infirmary before Jack saw me.

I curse again. Daniel sad something about sparks flying... They did have an argument about hockey teams the other day... How could I be so stupid as to think that he felt the same for me?

As I hurry down the corridor, I briefly walk past Major Allinson. I know I should try to be nice, and reply to her startled "Good afternoon, Major Carter!" - I guess I'm happy he's found someone to love - but I'm too jealous at the moment. That's when I knew I needed to have a very frank, short conversation with Janet, to get the anger out of my system.

 

What Daniel said made sense... I can't believe he guessed who it was I was in love with... I'm pretty sure though it's probably obvious to everyone except me.

I headed down to the infirmary. Maybe Doctor Fraiser could give me something to help me sleep.

"Afternoon, colonel."

I look up briefly to see the new major, Marie Allinson I think, smiling at me.

"Oh, hello, Major. Anything I can do for you?"

"Yes actually. You're pretty good friends with Major Carter, aren't you?"

I blush slightly, and hope she doesn't notice. "I think so. Why?"

"Nothing. She just seemed a bit upset, sir. I just thought you'd want to know."

"Thank you, major," I nod, and she walks away smartly. I guess Major Allinson's pretty enough, but she's not Sam.

As I wander down to the infirmary, I can hear two voices talking. I was about to enter, went I heard it was Doctor Fraiser and Carter. Stumbling backwards, I stood behind the door, and listened to their conversation. Not morally right, but I was curious...

Carter seemed to be upset about something. Or rather someone.

 

"Janet, I don't know what to do. He doesn't feel the same way, I know! In fact, I'm pretty sure he has a crush on that new major!" Sam stopped abruptly, and sat down on the edge of one of the beds.

"We are talking about a certain, devilishly handsome, brown haired member of SGC here, aren't we?"

Sam flushed awkwardly. "I try to suppress it, but I can't."

"Shush, Sam. I'm almost positive he feels the same way about you... You can see it every time he looks at you."

"I... I feel stupid now. I should never have said anything."

"It's OK, Sam. One day he'll wake up, and see you, you, and know he can't live without you."

I sigh, and shake my head. "I just don't know if I can stand it anymore."

"You have to. Just remember, it's your life too."

I nod, knowing she's right, and leave through the other door in the infirmary, while I know Janet watches me diligently as I leave.

 

I can't really believe what I've just heard. She's in love with someone else. I guess I was expecting it... I should have said something sooner.... But she doesn't love me. She's in love with this other, gorgeous brown-haired guy, who I'm sure is very charming and sophisticated. I stand next to the door for several minutes, and try to think about who has brown hair on this base?

How come when you're wondering pessimistic thoughts, that you get the answer you're dreading? Just then, two lieutenants, three technical sergeants, and a whole group of Senior Airmen walk past. All with various shades of brown hair, and all extremely handsome.

I sigh, and turn to enter the infirmary. After hearing my own worst fears confirmed, I think I need something a lot stronger. Maybe she has a lot of spare morphine lying around.

 

It was oh-eight-hundred, time for the briefing, and Colonel O'Neill hadn't turned up yet. General Hammond's mouth settled into a hard line, Daniel fumbled with his glasses, and Teal'c sat up straight, contemplating the light reflected on his glass of water. Finally Colonel O'Neill walks in, looking very tired, and bad tempered.

"You're late. Colonel O'Neill," I obligingly point out, tartly I must admit.

O'Neill scowled at me. "I know that Major." Even Teal'c is aware that O'Neill just snapped.

"Is everything all right, Colonel O'Neill?" General Hammond asks severely. O'Neill nods sharply.

"Didn't sleep that well."

Daniel looked at O'Neill with a questioning glance. O'Neill shook his head briefly. I knew him well enough to know that was a 'tell you later' gesture. I smiled briefly. Maybe his blond crush had brushed him off.

My mind skipped all that General Hammond said. He was describing one of the new planets he'd picked up, with some signs of huge Naquida deposits, and signs of rare minerals. I'm faintly aware of O'Neill snorting.

"Major Carter, what's up with you? You're usually as happy as a bunny when a planet like this is discovered."

I blink at his heavily sarcastic tone. Even General Hammond seemed concerned.

"Oh yes... I am happy. But not as happy as a bunny."

"What's the matter? Did your bounces wear out?" O'Neill's voice increased with volume.

General Hammond stutters. "What the hell is going on?"

"Colonel O'Neill feels his masculinity is being threatened by a woman," I say sharply. Daniel splutters, and O'Neill glares at me.

"At least I don't go around pretending I'm the cleverest person in the whole wide world!"

That hurt. That really, really hurt. I stare at him openly, still loving him oh-so-much even though I hated his guts at the same time. And I hate myself because of it.

Doctor Fraiser comes in, staring at the glaring Colonel and Major bemused, and went to talk to General Hammond. General Hammond, Doctor Fraiser and Daniel got up and went to talk silently in the corner, all the while looking worriedly at us. I couldn't hear what the hell that they were saying. I was concentrating too much at being mad at Jack.

 

I don't know what came over me. First of all I snapped at her when she just pointed out a fact then I yelled at her. All I know is that I hate her guts right now. And all I know at this moment is that I love her more than ever! She's still staring at me accusingly, eyes narrowed sharply, while General Hammond, Doctor Fraiser and Daniel talk silently in the corner. I can't hear what they're saying. But I know I can't resist getting at Carter even more.

"What? Too scared to reply?" I sneer.

She snorts. "No way. If anything, you're the coward, because you'd never want to hurt a woman settling this the real way. There's no problem! You'll never beat me! You won't hurt me, so what is it you're waiting for?"

I stare at her, as she stands up menacingly. I growl, and stand up, ready to fight. Fight with the woman I love. Suddenly, Teal'c pushes me down back onto the chair. General Hammond yells at us in disbelief.

"Major! Colonel! What the hell has gotten into you! That's it. I'm confining you two in a no-surveillance cell until tomorrow morning. I want this sorted out, or you can stay in there to rot! Lieutenants, take them away!" I gasp, and let myself be led away. Daniel and Janet stare at me with compassion clearly in their faces. I flush, knowing I'd let my emotions rule me - something an air force colonel would never be able to do.

 

As I let myself be led away, I can't believe what I did. I actually enticed my CO into a fight. And I wanted to fight him! He hates me now, I'm sure of it. Let's just say he doesn't look too happy now.

We are marched down the corridor, Airmen staring at us in surprise. As we are pushed roughly into the cell I suddenly realise they are shutting us in together, with no-one around to watch. Even the security camera's off.

"Holy Hannah!" O'Neill breathes fiercely, not even realising what he has just said. "Oh for crying out loud, this is ridiculous."

"Agreed!" I say and lower myself onto one of the two narrow benches. O'Neill slams his hand against the wall in frustration, then sits down to nurse it after he realises he has actually hurt himself. He gasps in surprise, and looks at me apologetically.

"I'm sorry, Carter," he says slowly. "I really didn't sleep well. I didn't mean to take it all out on you."

I look at him quickly. "I shouldn't have retaliated. I don't know what came over me."

"Maybe Janet spiked the coffee," he laughs, and suddenly all the tension just goes out the room. "What I don't understand is why General Hammond locked us up? And what on earth did Daniel and Fraiser say to him to make him do it?"

I sigh softly. "I don't know." I know I am staring at him now. His dark eyes are almost black, and I can see the agony in them. I wish I could comfort him, but I know I never can...

 

She's staring at me now, with those huge, luminous blue eyes, that will never be mine. She seems hurt. And it pains me to realise that what I said might have been what hurt her. I apologise again, knowing in my heart she had already forgiven me, but the look in her eyes....

"Sorry, Carter..." I murmur softly.

"For what?" She grins, looking at the floor.

"Comparing you to a rabbit."

"Oh."

"And for offering to fight you."

"Oh."

"And for almost whipping your ass."

"You wish." She gets up, stretches - God I hate it when she does that, because I know I can look, but not touch - and looks around. "There's no way out. Apart from the door."

She walks over to the door, and bashes on it. "It's locked." Carter sighed, and walked over to sit next to me. My stomach flipped a few times. "Is your hand all right?"

"My hand?" I stutter briefly, then stare at my bruised knuckles. Sheepishly, I hold it out. She prods it for a few moments. Let's just say it hurt like hell.

"AUGH!" I yell. "Do you take sadistic pleasure in hurting me, Carter?"

"Just bruises." Sam grinned again. God, how I love that grin. I'd give her the universe for that smile.

"I really am sorry. I don't know what got into me." I know I'm apologising again, but I can't help it. I really, really hate myself because of it.

"Stop saying sorry!" Carter grins, and puts a friendly hand on my shoulder. My next words are out before I can stop them.

"Sorry." She looks like she's going to say something else, but just suddenly bursts out laughing. I sit there awkwardly, before joining in.

 

How I love that laugh. There he was, making those adorable, dumb comments, and I had to laugh. And he laughed right along with me. Honestly I could have died. I know I've still got my hand on his shoulder, but I can't remove it.

I giggle a bit more, and remove my hand quickly. He shakes his head, and leans back against the wall.

"Well, there goes my permanent record," I mumble.

"Uh... I apologise. My record is very messy..."

"Yeah, alien kidnappings, disobeying direct orders, stealing alien artefacts..."

He looks at me with a pained expression on his face. "Rocks, for the love of God, Carter, rocks," he yells, in a perfect Daniel tone.

I raise one eyebrow, copying Teal'c's trademark expression. "What are rocks for the love of God?" I ask as innocently as possible.

 

"What are rocks for the love of god?" That tone is so angelic, I can't help from laughing again. When our laughter finally subsides, Carter looks at me seriously.

"So what do you think of the new major?" The questions seemed casual enough, but her face... It went ashen.

I shrugged. "Marie what's-her-name? Why?"

"I heard you and Daniel talking about her." She looks away. I'm not sure what she's talking about.

"Huh?" I really have no clue.

"I was walking past the locker room, and I just so happened to hear that you have a crush on a blond member of SGC," she grins, slightly laughing at me. I blush. I know I shouldn't. I also know I can't stop my mouth from talking when it's not connected to my brain.

"Not her." I laugh. "Though she is quite cute." Carter looks at me strangely, eyeing up my blush. I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like she believes me. For crying out loud, I'm telling the truth. So much for my reputation.

 

It's not her. My stomach did a double take. Who on earth could it be? I decide I have to talk, or he'll know something's up.

"Who?" I ask, ignoring a wave of jealousy, happy that he has found someone to love.

"That would be telling, major," He says, a mischievous smile playing on his face. "What about you? I was on my way to the infirmary when..." He stops at stares at me. My heart skips about a thousand beats. Does he know? I can't breathe, he's staring at me, his brown eyes darken, almost black. "You know, there are millions of brown haired people on this base." He smiles. "Maybe I'll tell you if you tell me."

I stare at him uncertainly. I'm guessing he's calling my bluff. What the hell. I might as well go all the way. But for some strange reason, I start to laugh.

 

She started to laugh. I don't know whether that was a good thing or not.

"Carter? Are you all right?" I hope my voice doesn't betray me.

"Yeah..." She breathes. I can't help it, her laughter is soon infectious, I can't help joining in. That just makes her laugh harder.

"It's you sir," she giggles.

"Me what?" I ask.

"Sorry, sir, but I've got a crush on you." I stop laughing, and look at her.

"My hair's not brown," is all I can think of to say. She shrugs.

"Half brown, half grey." She grins, and looks away. "Ooops, I guess I shouldn't have said that."

"No, you shouldn't."

She bites her lip, and stands up. "That was out of line, I'm sorry."

"No, you shouldn't have said my hair was half grey. It's only quarter grey," I grin. She turns and looks at me. I shrug, and stand up.

"Sir?"

"Jack..." I whisper. She looks confused, then nods

"Sam." She smiles sadly. "I shouldn't have said that. Now I've just ruined our friendship."

"No you haven't, oh blond haired second in command of mine." I can't believe what I'm saying. She blinks, and stares at me.

"Blond?" She gasps.

I nod. "Sam... You're my best friend, but I've felt more than regulations allow for a long time now."

She stares at me, her heart in her eyes.

"Jack..."

I might as well go the whole way now. "I thought it was just a stupid crush, I'd get over it, but I haven't..."

"Jack..." she murmurs, and I look at her softly.

"Sam, I love you."

 

"Sam, I love you," he says. He looks at me, and he has tears in his eyes. I can't believe it. I have blond hair, it's me.

I smile at him. "I love you too, Jack." He looks at me, about to say something else, when I step forward, and kiss him softly on the lips.

 

She kissed me. Her lips were feather light, but I could feel the love spreading through my body. That was it. I couldn't stop myself. I reached out for her, and she fell into my arms. I bent my head, and pressed my lips onto hers. She responded with a wave of passion, opening her lips further, seeking permission to deepen the kiss. And I wasn't about to refuse.

 

I stood there, holding him, pressing my mouth against his, my tongue touching his as I slipped into his embrace. I couldn't believe it. He was in love with me as much as I was in love with him. We didn't even ask each other if we wanted to go further. He wanted me as much as I wanted him. Together we slid down onto the floor, reading each others minds, my lips never leaving his. He was mine at last.

 

"It's on! WE DID IT!" I yell. Janet giggles, and General Hammond tries not to laugh. We are all smiling, even Teal'c. When Jack lowered Sam to the ground, Janet quickly flicked it off. We all whooped with laughter, knowing now what kept them apart.

Smiling, I realise they will be happy now. And I can't help grinning when General Hammond orders a copy of the security camera's tape when it is finished.

 

That's right. We got married. It was the happiest day of my life. He was so handsome the day we got married on the beach... I had on a simple blue dress (white totally out of the question after that certain night in the brig) and everyone was there, even Selmak, Martouf and Naseem. Martouf and Naseem were scowling a bit, but I guess you can't blame them. Naseem was slightly surprised it hadn't happened earlier. He muttered something half-heartedly about knowing I would never be his, then ran off to get drunk. I never knew how hilarious Tollans could when they're drunk. I guess they just aren't used to it. One glass, and he was out of it. He even danced with Teal'c.

Daniel and Doctor Fraiser got a little bit drunk too. As did Ferretti. And Skaara. And Redford. You get the picture. Teal'c just stood to the side with Martouf. I think they were trying to play chess, but I'm not sure. All I was concentrating on that day was Jack. My Jack. Mine at last, as much as I am his. Whatever trials we may face ahead, at least I know now that we'll be facing them together.

The End.


If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Atalya Shields