Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Everything Has A Downside

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Everything Has A Downside

Everything Has A Downside

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: Jacob finds Sam the happiest she's ever been but is that all about to change when an unexpected figure comes back on the scene with tragic consequences?
Category: Angst
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/05/03

Title: Everything Has A Downside

Author: Anneka O'Carter

Summary: Jacob finds Sam the happiest she's ever been, and an unexpected figure comes back on the scene with tragic consequences.

Author Notes: I know, I know. None of the sequels are ever as good as the original but at least read it.

For me?

And I hope you did as I requested and read Blue Topaz's series "His and Hers" If you haven't, do it now!

*

Jacob stood in the living room, his eyes wandering all over the pictures that decorated the Colonel's house. How could he not have known these feelings that were oh-so obvious now?

How could she not have told him about this development, this new role as a mother?

Because you were otherwise occupied Selmak reminded him and he frowned. Trust her to bring him back down to Earth....

Idly, he picked up a photo on the mantelpiece and examined it carefully. He presumed it was taken before his daughter had started dating her CO, yet you could clearly see the attraction between the pair even then.

He had no idea when it was taken, but he presumed it must have been one of Cassie's birthday parties as a banner read in the background. It was solely of Colonel O'Neill and Sam. They were both turned inwards, and Jack had his arm round Sam's waist bringing her closer.

Jacob felt such a fool as he put the frame back down in it's place. How could he have not seen? Why didn't she say something before?

God, even Selmak knew they were mad about each other.

*I told you many times, yet you refused to believe. What is you keep telling me? Denial is not just a river in Egypt... * Jacob just shook his head. Despite the fact it was kinda weird having someone else in your head, he never felt lonely and Sam sure as hell liked his companion.

What it she once said? It's like having two parents in one body.

That made Selmak pleased for the rest of the week and nothing would shut her up....

But before he could muse some more, Jacob's eyes were drawn to the main picture in the room. Placed inside a silver frame, it was of the new family and he smiled as he recognised the hope and love in the photo and it reminded him of he and Kate when they had Mark.

His thoughts were disturbed as Sam gingerly walked down the stairs to see him. He wasn't sure what exactly the current situation was between his daughter and Jack, as both almost ran to put Jack's daughter to bed before he could even be introduced to the girl.

"Dad, it's really good to see you." She walked up to him and he held out his arms. They embraced strongly and Jacob realised how much he missed this close contact with his beloved daughter.

"I missed you." He said tenderly, stroking her hair like he did when she was a young girl.

"Me too." She pulled away slightly so she could look into his eyes. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"Sam, there isn't anything to be sorry about." He told her and she smiled. "I'm the one that's been away for six months on a mission."

He heard Sam sigh slightly. "Everything's changed so much since you were here. I can't even begin to tell you...." She trailed off her sentence as he brought her back into a hug.

"Well, I'm presuming that Jack's retired." He said wistfully and she nodded her head. He wanted to laugh because he knew full well that Jack had retired; nothing would have happened if he was still working at the SGC. "And I take it that the girl you shepherded upstairs is Jack's daughter."

Again Sam nodded, but this time she spoke, her words were slightly muffled against his clothes. "Her name's Kitty. She's five."

"She's cute." He replied and Sam laughed.

"That's what everyone says. No wonder she gets away with murder." Sam took in a deep breath. "Jack and I have custody of her."

Jacob was slightly stunned by that admission. He'd automatically presumed that Kitty only stayed on weekends, but full time parenting was going to be tough on Sam's relationship with Jack. "I assume you're both thrilled?"

"Yep." She assured him and she pulled back and the pair sat down on the couch together. "Dad, I have some more news too."

Jacob just nodded, expecting the unexpected as he knew that was what he normally got from his youngest child. "Go on."

"I'm pregnant." She said timidly, her eyes firmly watching her clasped hands on her lap. Shyly, she looked up for his reaction.

Jacob's face was a picture of pure joy. "I can't believe..." He shook his head in a mixture disbelief and happiness. "I'm so happy for you Sam." He pulled her towards him for another hug on a night of surprises. "Jack's pleased?" He asked as she curled up on the sofa.

"Couldn't be more so." She affirmed. "And Kitty can't wait to have a brother or sister to play with." Sam added with a smile of adoration for Kitty that screamed "I'm already a mom" so he couldn't not ask the question.

"Where's Kitty's birth mother?" He asked with trepidation. The reaction was a heavy sigh.

"She's um, cutting off ties I suppose you could call it." Sam looked upset. "She was jealous of Kitty and me and so, she just gave her up." The tone that Sam used made Jacob know not to press further until the time was right so he moved back to protective father mode.

"Are you and Jack strong together?" He asked between awkward breaks for uncomfortable-ness.

"We're in love Dad." She smiled at him, and then gazed at one of the many pictures of the couple in a warm embrace. "I love him more than I've ever loved anyone."

"Who would have thought that?" Jacob joked about the many tirades that Sam used to shout down the phone when Jack O'Neill made a decision she considered highly idiotic.

"Yeah." Her voice was different now. Slightly sadder than before when she was talking about her love for her partner. "Dad, do you think mom would be proud of me?" Her lips quivered as she spoke.

Jacob felt his eyes well up as he thought about Kate. She adored every part of Sam from the hair on her head to the bottom of her toes. If Sam had become a cleaner, she still would have boasted about how brilliant she was. "Sam, your mother would be inexplicably proud of you. She worshiped every little thing that you did." He paused and smiled wistfully. "And she would have loved Jack and Kitty."

"You think so?" Sam's smile was a mixture of tears and genuine happiness of her father's opinion.

"I know so. She and Jack would have spent hours cracking each other up with their jokes." He said as he remembered his wife's passion for one liners and clever comedy. "And Kate would have loved Kitty just as much as she loved you."

"Thanks Dad." She took his hand in her own and squeezed.

You handled that well Jacob Selmak approved and almost immediately Sam recognised he was talking with his "companion"

"Dad, no offence, but can I talk to Selmak?" She asked with a smile and Selmak was pleased to oblige.

They talked for at least half an hour about all the developments that had taken place, until Jack walked down the stairs cautiously, wary of Jacob's reaction.

Selmak knew that Jack would rather face the more scarier proposition of Jacob than her, and sadly let Jacob take over.

"Jacob, it's good to see you." He walked over to his girlfriend's father with an outstretched hand. Jacob took it and shook warmly but still Jack looked slightly worried.

"You too." There was a silence as Sam stood uncomfortably between the two men before a drunk Janet stuck her head into the room and requested Sam's assistance in helping to get Daniel as drunk as her.

"How have you been?" They sat down on the sofa together. Jacob just shrugged.

"Could be better." He sighed and then turned to face Jack. "She's told me about everything."

"Right." Jack nodded slowly. "Everything?"

"Mmm. She told me about the baby." Jacob affirmed and Jack nodded again. "She said you were delighted."

"I am." His face turned from wary to happy as he thought of the new child that would be in their lives. "It's scary, but I can't wait."

There was silence and Jacob knew Jack wanted to say something. "What is it?" Jacob asked.

"What?" Jack looked surprised.

"You wanted to say something, so say it." Jacob insisted.

"Are you happy about the baby?" Jack asked tentatively.

"Yes." And Jacob couldn't have been more honest. He knew that Sam used to maintain the image that she was a dedicated career woman, but he knew that she wanted a family and 2.4 children. "I know that I haven't been a great father, so this is being said to you as someone who loves Sam very deeply....do you love her as much as she loves you?"

Jack didn't even hesitate. "Yes." And in that second, Jacob knew that Sam had everything she ever wanted.

*

The room was pitch black, the only light radiating from the moon outside. He wasn't sure how long he'd been sitting there, but he knew that it had been a while.

He was lost in his many thoughts, sitting in the comfortable armchair that Sam favoured at Jack's house, appreciative that Jack had enough spare bedrooms for him yet no ready to retire on a day he found out his precious daughter was an expectant mother.

He heard a creak on the stairs and turned round suddenly to see a small figure perching on the bottom step. He smiled as a table lamp was turned on and he saw Kitty smiling shyly at him.

"Sorry." She apologised. "Need water."

He just shook his head. "This is your house not mine." She grinned, this time more boldly and toddled to the kitchen were she awkwardly tried to reach the taps.

"Do you want a hand?" He offered and she nodded gratefully. He walked over and poured the water for her. She tottered to the stairs and waved goodbye to him and she reached the first step but she stopped as he called out to her.

"Kitty? Would you sit and talk to me for a bit?" Kitty looked surprised but she willingly obliged and sat down next to Jacob. He was pleased that she wasn't intimidated by him; she just didn't seem like that kind of girl. Jack O'Neill's daughter would be scared by no-one.

There was silence interspersed with slurping as Kitty loudly drank the water and then sat with her hands between her knees slightly nervously. Jacob just watched the little girl's mannerisms and he remembered Sam acting exactly the same.

"Do you miss her?" She mumbled to him but Jacob knew the question.

"Yes." He replied. "I do, but I always come back to her." Kitty seemed touched by the sentiment and smiled a ghost of a smile. "Do you miss your mother?"

Kitty looked thoughtful for a second and nodded slowly. "I suppose." She answered. "I have Daddy and Sam." Kitty crawled closer to Jacob and leant her head against his arm; obviously sensing a good grandparent. "Sam told me that mommy was too busy to see me." Kitty didn't seem too convinced by this, and Jacob was sure he sensed some anger and he was surprised for such a young child.

"But?" He probed, knowing she wanted to say something further.

"I heard Daddy arguing with mommy on the phone." Kitty swallowed hard and he wondered whether she was going to cry. As comfort, he placed his arm round her shoulders and she relaxed in his embrace. "I don't think she loves me anymore."

Jacob felt so useless. How could he assure this girl that her mother loved her when he had no idea what Kitty must be feeling?

So he pulled her onto his lap and she sobbed quietly into his clothes. He murmured comfort to Kitty and she slowly stopped crying. Neither Jack nor Sam had made an appearance so he assumed she hadn't been that loud.

"Sam loves you." He burst out with and she looked up at him with a teary smile

"I love her too." She wiped her eyes with fisted hands. She hugged Jacob firmly and then pulled away. "Will you tuck me into bed?"

"Of course." He agreed and pulled Kitty up onto his shoulders.

*

The phone rang shrilly throughout the house and Jacob lazily pulled himself towards the telephone.

"Hello?"

"Uh, is this the O'Neill house?" A woman asked and Jacob didn't recognise the voice.

"Yeah...is this Jennifer?" He asked with a frown and he was sure that his ambivalence came through in his voice.

"Yes, it is." She replied shortly. "Who's this?"

"Jacob Carter. Sam's father." He introduced himself, despite the fact this woman didn't care.

"Right, well, is Jack there?" She asked impatiently. "I have some news."

"I'll just get him." Jacob laid the phone down on the table and walked through to the garden where Sam and Jack were lying on the grass. "Jack! Jennifer's on the phone for you!"

He saw Jack and Sam exchange a worried glance at each other before he entered the house and Jacob handed him the phone.

"Jennifer, it's good to hear from you." Jack said half genuinely. He hadn't missed her, but Kitty sure as hell did.

"I'm sure(!)" She replied sarcastically. "Look, Jack, I didn't want you to hear this from my attorney, but Patrick and I are filing for custody....and you can't talk your way out of this one."

"Jennifer, you know you can't do this. We talked this through at the airport." Jack rationalised, rubbing his forehead.

"Yeah, but Patrick made me see sense. She's my daughter Jack." Jennifer said sternly "Mine."

"Just think about this...." Jack started but Jennifer cut him off.

"No. I'm taking Kitty back and you can fight all you want. She's not living with you ever again."

*

They watched the plane take off from the lounge and she felt a knot in her throat that threatened to turn into a boulder as she thought of Kitty fly away. She sniffed, trying to hold back the tears and Jack's hand weaved it's way into hers.

"It's only a visit." He reassured her. "Just to see whether Kitty is happier there or here."

Sam took a deep breath and tried to believe that he was right. But something inside of her told, was saying that he was so very wrong.

"Jack, we both know courts favour the mother." Sam rationalised and felt Jack's body tense. "It hurts to think of it but I'm just being realistic."

"So you're saying that Jennifer is going to get her and never let us see her? Way to go on the optimism..." He drawled quietly and Sam felt her body crumble. It was the absolutely worst time to start arguing with him so consequently, she always did.

She felt a trickle, turn into a tear turn into a full blown sob. His comforting arms encircled her and she felt pathetic and she tried to tell him so.

"Kitty's your daughter, and I'm the one that's crying like an idiot..." She said, her words muffled by his jacket.

"Sam, it's the baby. All the hormones. You know we've been arguing like cats and dogs recently." His words made her smile and she thought of the times when they'd made up. And that made her smile more. "Is that a smile I see?"

"Maybe." She answered cryptically which made him grin in return.

"Come on." He grabbed her hand and they walked out of the Departures Lounge. "Let's get some ice cream."

*

It had been a week since Kitty left for Baltimore and they'd received daily updates from her. She didn't sound upset but then she didn't sound like she was having th time of her life so that consoled hem more.

Nothing could have faulted their mood that morning as they had been to the hospital for a check-up and learned the sex of their baby.

A little girl was going to excite Kitty...apparently she planned to practice hairstyles on her for when she was a hairdresser to the rich and famous. As soon as they found out, he suggested the name Kate, and she almost cried. She'd rewarded him very well when they got home. Admittedly they didn't know how Jacob would feel but they were pretty certain he'd be touched.

The ringing of the phone lulled Sam out of her mid morning nap. She smiled as she remembered that her father had promised to call after the appointment and took the details from the table ready to recite them to him.

"Hello?" She said rubbing her eyes.

"Um, hello." An unfamiliar voice said on the other end. "Is this the residence of Jonathan O'Neill?"

"Yes, but he's not here at the moment." She replied. "Who is this?"

"Nurse Krace from Baltimore General Hospital. We have his daughter Kitty O'Neill."

"What?" Sam exploded. "What's going on?"

"His daughter is safe at hospital. She had a car accident with her mother."

"They're both OK?" Sam asked, thoughts flooding through her brain.

"Um,....who exactly am I talking to?" Nurse Krace questioned.

"Sam Carter, I'm Jack O'Neill's partner. I care after Kitty too." She explained. "What exactly has happened?"

"From what Kitty's told us, a car careered into them and smashed them off the road...Kitty sustained a few cuts and bruises but she's fine." Nurse Krace replied.

"What about Jennifer?" Sam pressed on, noticing the nurse's reluctance to say anything else.

"Mrs Cotton has a massive heart attack. We tried to revive her but she was declared brain dead half an hour ago." Nurse Krace explained but Sam went into shock mode. "I understand this may be difficult for you living in Colorado, but Kitty really needs her father and you. Mr Cotton is making his way in from New York but he said he wanted you and Mr O'Neill to be there too."

"Um...does she know about Jennifer? Is she there at the moment?" Sam asked, the questions rolling from her mouth without thought.

"No, she doesn't know about her mother because one of the junior nurses took her upstairs to play in the day care centre...." Nurse Krace paused. "She really needs you right now. If either of you could make it, she'd be a lot more reassured."

"Of course. I'll get tickets straight away." Sam said and put the phone down on the catch. Slumping down on the sofa, she sat motionless for a few seconds; the horror of what had happened to Kitty and Jennifer seeping in.

Only the fierce ringing of the phone woke her from her thoughts.

"Carter." She replied tersely.

"Hey Sam, it's me." Jack's soothing voice came through and she almost cried. "What's wrong?"

*

They arrived at the hospital in the middle of the night, dashing to the private room where Kitty was with Patrick. They found her asleep on the bed, Patrick dozing in the seat next to the bed. Instead of waking the pair, they found the nearest doctor and asked for information and he promptly got the consultant in charge.

"I'm Doctor Nevins... I take it your Mr O'Neill?" He gestured towards Jack and he nodded.

"This is my partner Sam." Jack introduced her. "Is Kitty going to be OK?" He asked, and Doctor Nevins ushered them into a free bay.

"Physically, yes. Mentally, we won't know." He replied honestly and then decided to elaborate on seeing their confused faces. "Kitty is going to suffer knowing that the car accident that she survived the car accident that killed her mother."

"I see." Jack replied, squeezing Sam's hand tightly. He knew that despite her fervent denials, she still couldn't think about her mother sometimes. "Was it painless for Jennifer?"

"It was a heart attack so you can gather how painful it was from that....but that's not my concern at the moment Mr O'Neill." Doctor Nevins' voice lowered significantly. "I'm more worried about your daughter."

"How so?"

"She was telling me about the custody fights you have been having with Mrs Cotton, and she's confused about where she is supposed to be living...When she's taken home, she needs to be in the place that is most comfortable for her and where she will get the attention and stability that she needs." Doctor Nevins explained. "Now, I talked to Mr Cotton and he has decided that, if you would like, Kitty to stay with you."

Jack knew that Patrick had made the right decision. He was going to be busy with the triplets and he didn't need a five year old running around the house too.

"That's fine Doctor...when can we take her home?"

"As soon as possible." Doctor Nevins smiled and was about to walk out of the bay before he turned round. "Mr Cotton has expressly asked that he be able to tell Kitty about his wife dying and I hope you appreciate that."

They both nodded and sat down on the bed, still shocked from the reality that hit them in the face. Admittedly, they didn't like Jennifer, but she was still a decent enough human being. And no child should lose their parent at such a young age.

Sam squeezed Jack's hand and he turned to look at her.

"She's going to be devastated." Jack said plainly and Sam nodded. "She's going to be different and we can't change that."

"That's what being a parent is all about." She replied with a ghost of a smile. "We'll make it alright for her, won't we?"

"Yeah." He stroked her stomach lightly. "We will."

*

Kitty sat wordlessly on the sofa, her eyes staring straight into the TV, but instead of laughing or even raising a smile at the cartoon, she sat with a blank face.

Jack and Sam stood worriedly in the corner of the kitchen, watching the girl who'd been turned mute overnight. They didn't expect her to recover in three days, but they didn't know how to handle an unresponsive child.

They'd prepared themselves for a teary, hysterical one.

Sam walked to the couch gently, and knelt in front of Kitty, sitting at her level. Only then did Kitty take notice of the woman in front of her. Reluctantly she shifted her gaze, and gazed vacantly at Sam.

"Hey." She tugged on Kitty's foot and the corners of Kitty's mouth turned up. Reaching for the remote control, she turned down the volume a few notches. "Y'know when Janet came and baby sat for you yesterday..." Kitty nodded. "We got some pictures of the baby."

That raised a more positive smile from Kitty who leant forward as Sam took the photos from her pocket; she needed quick access as she'd been showing anyone with eyes.

Pointing out the parts of the baby, Kitty seemed bewildered and fascinated by the person growing inside of her "step" mother. Nervously, she put her hand to Sam's slightly bulging stomach and asked a silent question with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, it's growing in there." Sam affirmed and took Kitty's hand in her own. "Honey, we know whether the baby is a boy or girl...do you want to know?" Slowly Kitty nodded. "You're going to have a little sister and we're going to call her Katie."

At that point, Jack joined Sam's side and spoke. "We're naming her after Sam's mom...we wondered if you'd like Katie's middle name to be Jennifer, after your mom."

Kitty's eyes lit up with delight and a teary smile began. She hugged them both and leant back. "Mommy said that she liked you...." Kitty whispered "She just didn't want to lose me."

"We know." Jack brought his daughter into a hug. "We know."

*

Mmm...was that tres good, or tres bad?

Either way, I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of emails about it, criticising my work boo hoo

Sequel? No sequel? Hate it? Love it? Tell me, goddammit, tell me!

Sorry I didn't warn you about Jennifer or it would have given the whole thing away!

Most fanfic I have ever received is for this series! But please do read my other work, especially Revelations and Shopping Trips with it's two sequels! (To get all my work type Anneka O'Carter into the search engine at Heliopolis!)

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter