Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Worthless

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Worthless

Worthless

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: "I don't care whether you didn't like my father, but he was still loved by someone, no matter what you thought."
Category: Alternate Universe, Angst
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/05/03

Title: Worthless

Author: Anneka O'Carter

Summary: "I don't care whether you didn't like my father, but he was still loved by someone no matter what you may have thought."

Author Notes: I have one word. Weird. You'll probably hate it but...oh, well. I won't have a breakdown don't worry.

This isn't really a story-more of a freaky sitch made up my imagination! Now you know why I take those pills so often...

It's AU, AU and AU!

*

The music rumbled inside the house and she sung to herself, dancing round her bedroom and periodically checking her face mask. It was an important day; and not one she was going to waste.

But before she could really start getting ready the doorbell rang and she huffed loudly to herself. It was probably Erika, forgetting her keys.

Again.

She trundled down to the door, with a frown ready to give her cousin a dressing down when she opened the door to be confronted by two stern people standing on the doorstep.

"Are you Kristiana Lowestoft?" The woman asked, her expression not faltering as the girl in front of her looked surprised.

"Uh, I used to be." She replied with a small smile that fell when they didn't respond to it.

"What do you mean?" The man asked. His grey hair was ruffling slightly in the wind.

"I changed my surname." She replied. "Um, I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly is this?"

"We need to talk to you ma'am." The man said before giving an explanation. With a confused face she let them in the door and wondered what the hell was happening.

*

The woman's expression had changed; in fact so had the man's. But Kristiana didn't notice and she didn't care as she held her head in her hands, the tears rolling unchecked from her eyes.

They actually felt sympathy for her; no matter who she might be grieving for. The pair looked at each other, and took a deep breath.

"I know this must be hard for you Kristiana, but did your father leave you anything? A letter or a audio tape perhaps?" Kristiana's eyes widened in horror.

"You've just told me that my father is dead, and you want me to start rooting round his belongings?" She recoiled and jumped from the seat and paced around. "Even if I did want to, he never left anything here. Mom didn't like his stuff in the house."

"But you saw him frequently?" The man asked again. She saw his face and it fell as he asked the question. Maybe underneath all that bravado, he actually cared about what she was going through.

"Yes." She replied, her head buzzing with unanswered questions. "Are you going to tell me how he died?"

"We can't. I'm sorry." She apologised and maybe, for a second, she actually looked genuine.

"Can you at least tell me who you are?" Kristiana asked. "Don't I have a right to know who told me that he's dead?"

"I'm Major Carter, and this is Colonel O'Neill." She indicated and then Kristiana walked towards the door. "We're from the Air Force."

"I think you better leave now." She said breathing steadily, but her expression giving away the clear pain that she was in. "I don't know what you want, but whatever it is I don't have it."

They got up, resigned to the position that they were cast in. They walked towards the door and stood in front of her before leaving. "I'm sorry about Harry." Colonel O'Neill said..

No sadness for him, but there was for her. And she sensed that. But she couldn't stop thinking about their manner in telling her. No matter who her father was, no-one deserved to be told so rudely. "Just leave." She replied abruptly.

"Goodbye Miss Mayborne." Major Carter said as she travelled down the steps "Your mother will have the body as soon as possible."

*

"You're here." Kristiana said without looking up. She saw them enter the graveyard when she put the flowers on his headstone. They both sidled next to her without saying a word.

"We needed to speak to you." Major Carter said tonelessly.

"On the day of his funeral?" She replied incredulously, but still not looking from his grave. "You have got some really bad timing."

"I'm sorry but this is important." Colonel O'Neill's tone got angrier as she refused to co-operate.

"I'm sorry, but so is this." Kristiana replied measuredly. "I've just buried my father and you're trying to dredge up bad memories for me." Kristiana wiped her eye. "I don't care whether you didn't like my father, but he was still loved by someone no matter what you may have thought."

The words obviously hit them hard as there was silence before they spoke again. "Did you get on with him?" Major Carter asked.

"I loved him. He was devoted to me." Kristiana paused and took a long breath. "I know that my dad wasn't perfect; in fact he was nowhere near but he was still my dad. And I'll always love him no matter what."

"You know he was wanted for high treason?" Colonel O'Neill asked.

"Yes." She replied simply.

"And that didn't concern you?" Major Carter asked, her voice betraying the hate she had for the man lying beneath them.

"No. Does this concern you? That you're telling a man's daughter that he was a traitor on the day of his funeral?" Kristiana questioned. "I'm only 17. No-one deserves the treatment you've given me."

"I just find it hard to believe that you and Harry got on so well." Colonel O'Neill stated. "He cared for no-one but himself."

Kristiana said nothing but pulled out a photo from her black coat pocket and shoved it in their direction. Colonel O'Neill looked at it and sighed.

It looked like a recent photograph and it featured Kristiana and Harry in a garden somewhere. They both smiled for the camera and she was leaning her head on his shoulder. If it was any other man, it could have been a normal family photo.

He handed it towards Carter and she stood wordlessly.

"Mom took that photo on my seventeenth birthday. She invited him as a surprise." Kristiana sounded like she was going to cry. "I have that photo everywhere. On my bedside table, at school. That way he's with me all the time."

The three stood in silence before she handed them a package. "I think this is what you were looking for." She said before striding back to the awaiting black car.

Before she disappeared completely, she spoke. "My dad told me about you two. He said you were the good guys." Krisitana had a ghost of a smile on her face. "I hope you get together one day."

*

"The shock news of today is that Senator Kinsey has been exposed as a traitor to the American public with information collated by Harold Mayborne and kept safe for years by his daughter Kristiana...." The TV turned to black and the form on the sofa curled up into a ball.

Her father from the grave, exposed Senator Kinsey as the creep he really was.

Her life was changed now he'd gone and she rarely raised a smile although that changed when she read the wedding announcement in the newspaper from the now Mr and Mrs O'Neill.

But those thoughts faded now as she held the treasured photo in her hands; tear stained.

Beyond the grave, redeemed.

But she was still empty. And she wondered how her life had become so worthless without him.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter