Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Virus

by Anna
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Virus

Virus

by Anna

TITLE:Virus
AUTHOR:Anna.
EMAIL:stargategirl86@hotmail.com
CATEGORY:Sam/Jack, Daniel/Janet
SPOILERS:none really
SEASON / SEQUEL:Season 3 or 4
RATING:PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS:Male/Female Relationship, but nthing serious
SUMMARY:Daniel is sick and no-one knows how to cure him
STATUS:Complete
DISCLAIMER:Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate Productions, Showtime / Viacom, MGM / UA, Double Secret Productions and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:First, I'm sorry about all the grammar mistakes I'm making (am I ?). English isn't my first language, not even second... forth or fifth actually... Anyway, this is the longest story I've written (pretty short anyway, huh ?) and I really really hope you'll like it... Please let me know what you think of it ! Please ! And as very usual, greetings to my dear friends Jenni and Sanna.

Virus

byAnna.

"Let's go kids !" Jack shouted and looked for the rest of his team. Teal'c was standing right next to him, always ready to follow his orders. Sam was between Jack and Daniel, obviously thinking what to do. Daniel was sitting next to a woman, that seemed to be as sick as possible.

"Daniel !" Jack said as he saw Daniel wasn't going to move.

"Jack we have to help her," Daniel said.

"No buddy," Jack disagreed. "We can't help her anymore. You heard what Carter said. She's lost. And now let's get outta here before we catch this virus or whatever it is."

"But Jack..." Daniel inched.

"Daniel, Colonel is right," Sam said quietly. "We can't save her. We don't even know what's wrong with her. So let's go."

Sam saw Daniel wasn't going to buy it.

"Daniel, you have to let her go," Sam said.

"Carter, you're talking like she would be his wife," Jack grinned. "He doesn't even know her name."

Sam looked at Jack trying not to smile.

"Listen," Daniel whispered to the woman. "We have to go now..." he bowed closer and kissed the woman.

"He doesn't even know her name..." Sam whispered sarcastically. Jack looked at her and grinned.

Daniel stood up.

"Let's go," he said.

Jack nodded, suddenly feeling sad. SG-1 left the building.

"What is going to happen to the woman we left there ?" Teal'c asked.

"Erm," neither Jack or Sam knew what to say.

"I see," Teal'c answered.

"Um, guys, I..." Daniel tried to explain his behaviour. "I know you wonder of what I did... um..."

"Nope, I don't wonder at all," Jack said. "I'm already used to you doing that."

"No, listen, it wasn't what it seemed to be," Daniel said.

"You didn't kiss her ?" Jack asked.

"No, Jack, it's... um... in her religion, someone needs to take her last breath so that she would get to Heaven and um..."

"Yeah, I've read about that," Sam said.

"No you haven't," Daniel disagreed. "You're just trying to be smart."

"Well," Sam didn't know what to say. "So you kissed her and erm... took her last breath, right ?"

"Yep," Daniel nodded.

"Is anyone dieing here ?" Jack asked, looking around.

"Jack !" Daniel said. "What I was saying is... I took her last breath and now she can die in peace."

"She was not dead when we left her," Teal'c said. "How is she going to live until she dies if you took her last breath ?"

"Teal'c !" Jack grinned. Sam smiled and looked at Daniel, who was desperately trying to find the right words to explain Teal'c about the woman's religion.

SG-1 spent the rest of the mission listening to Daniel explaining Teal'c about last breathes and Heaven.

***

SG-1 came through the stargate. They were back in the base.

"Now, people," Hammond said. "Go and let dr. Fraiser check you and then give me the report in two hours."

"Yes sir," Sam and Jack said at the same time. Daniel was all ready to go.

"One more thing," Hammond smiled. "Look who's here."

"Cassandra !" Sam smiled and went to hug the girl.

"Cassie," Jack smiled. "What are you doin' here ? Don't ya have school or something ?"

"It's holidays," Cassandra said. "Hi Teal'c. Hi Daniel."

"Greetings, Cassandra," Teal'c said.

Sam, Jack, Teal'c and Cassandra waited for Daniel's answer, but as they turned to look at him, they noticed he had already gone.

"Damn, he must be worried about his health," Jack mumbled.

Cassandra smiled secretly.

"What is it Cass ?" Sam asked.

"Nothing," Cassandra said, appearantly wanting to tell Sam.

"C'mon, you can tell me everything."

"Yep, everything except this."

"C'mon, Cass."

"No, this is not my secret."

"Does it have anything to do with Daniel and your mom ?" Sam asked.

"My mom ?" Cassandra asked in surprise.

"Janet," Sam explained. "Does it have anything to do with Daniel and Janet ?"

"Sam you know I can't tell you !"

"Okay, okay, I was just asking."

"Carter," Jack grinned. "Why're ya asking ?"

"Janet is my friend, sir," Sam said.

"Yeah right," Jack mumbled.

"O'Neill, why are you teasing Major Carter ?" Teal'c asked.

"Yeah, why ?" Sam smiled.

"Just," Jack didn't know what to say. "Just... oh for cryin' out loud !" he finally yelled and ran out of the room.

"I think he likes you," Teal'c whispered.

"Oh Teal'c please, don't start that !" Sam said.

"If that is what you want, Major Carter."

"I think we should go to the infirmary," Sam said. "Wanna join me ?"

"No, I am frightened I can not join you, Major Carter," Teal'c said.

"Okay," Sam said and left.

She walked down a corridor towards the infirmary thinking about what Teal'c had said. Jack likes her ? Or was it just Teal'c and his jokes ? Sam didn't want to think about herself and Jack inthatway, or did she ? That's why she tried to get to talk to Janet sooner.

She finally reached Janet's office. Sam knew Daniel was in the infirmary, so she decided to wait in Janet's room. She opened the door just in time to see Daniel pulling himself out of Janet's arms.

"You...erm... seem to be just...erm... fine," Janet blushed and said to Daniel as she saw Sam coming in. Then she added. "Doctor Jackson."

"Thanks," Daniel said. "Hi Sam !"

Sam nodded, for she couldn't say anything. Daniel left.

"Erm, Sam, hi," Janet smiled sheepishly trying not to look at Sam.

"No secrets, right ?" Sam grinned. "Dammit Jan."

"Look, Sam, I'm terribly sorry, I... just..." Janet apologized.

"I came here for you to check me," Sam said. "And... I wanted to talk about something... erm, someone..."

"Colonel O'Neill ?" Janet asked. Sam stared at her.

"How did you know ?" Sam asked. "Don't tell me... Now I don't want to talk about him anymore. Now I want to talk about you and Daniel."

"I can check you at the same time, right ?" Janet asked. Sam nodded. They went to the infirmary.

"Well c'mon now," Sam smiled. "Cassie knows, doesn't she ?"

"Well," Janet blushed again. "Yeah... last week she came earlier from school and saw us... erm... so I had to explain her about it."

"You explained her, but you didn't say a word about it to me."

"I'm sorry. But Sam, there's actually something I really want to tell you."

"Go ahead."

"Sam, you know I haven't had a boyfriend seems Lionel left a month ago..."

"Yeah, and that's an eternity compared to me being without a normal boyfriend for two years," Sam said.

"No, Sam, it's different. Love is what I need. Someone loving me and taking care of me. When I adopted Cassie, I thought that... Sam, what I wanted to tell you is that... See, I've always wanted to have kids, but I... I can't. I can't have a baby, Sam," Janet said quietly with tears in her eyes.

"Oh my god," Sam whispered and went to hug her friend.

"Stay still, I need to check you," Janet laughed through her tears.

"For how long have you known that ?" Sam asked.

"For very long," Janet said and dried the tears that had appeared on her cheeks. "But now let's talk about something else."

"No way," Sam shook her head. "You said that when you adopted Cass you...? You what ?"

"I... I thought she would be like a daughter to me."

"Well isn't she ?" Sam asked.

"Sure, but... she never calls me 'mom'. I know she loves me, but not like she loved her mother. Like a friend, maybe. That's what's hurting me very very bad. I just..." Janet began to cry.

"Janny," Sam stood up though Janet had told her not to. "Jan I'm really sorry..."

"I'll be fine," Janet said. She dried her tears and as she turned to look at Sam again, Sam could badly see she had cried.

"Janet..." Sam said.

"No, Sam, please," Janet said. She went to write something down. "There's nothing wrong with you. Ask Colonel to come in as you leave."

"Yeah," Sam said. She understood their conversation was over for that time. "Take care," she said quietly as she left the room.

***

"Hey Major, why the sad face ?" Jack asked as Sam came out of the infirmary. Sam didn't answer, just looked at him and said,

"Janet is waiting for you, sir."

She waited til Jack entered the infirmary and walked away.

She went to take a shower and changed clothes, then she ate a sandwich and went to the Briefing room. Daniel, Jack, Teal'c and General Hammond were there too.

Sam entered the room together with her team mates and took a seat next to Daniel, infront of Jack.

Daniel started to tell Hammond about their mission as he suddenly began to cough.

"Doctor Jackson ?" Hammond asked.

"Daniel ?" Sam and Jack asked.

Daniel raised his hand as a sign that he was okay. But he didn't stop coughing, and then he became all red. He fell to the floor.

"Is this the same sickness as the woman on P2X-976 had ?" Teal'c asked.

"Oh," Jack thought about it for a while. "Yep, that's it."

"How comes dr. Fraiser didn't notice it as she checked dr. Jackson ?" Hammond wondered.

Sam understood Janet hadn't checked Daniel at all. She looked at Daniel and noticed him staring at her. He knew that Sam knew about him and Janet, and he begged her with his eyes not to tell the others.

"I don't know," Sam said. "Perhaps it started just now, or maybe this is some of Daniel's allergies."

Daniel gave Sam a thankful glance. She smiled a little to him.

"Anyway, call dr. Fraiser and we'll continue later. Dismissed !" Hammond said.

Fraiser came and Sam almost began to cry as she saw the look on Janet's face as Sam told her what's going on.

Janet took Daniel away.

As the doctors left Jack came next to Sam. She was standing infront of the door, looking how Janet held Daniel's hand as she took him to the infirmary.

"There is something between the two of them, isn't there ?" Jack asked. Sam didn't answer.

"And you know about it," Jack continued. Sam was still quiet. Then she looked in his eyes and understood that all he wanted to know was that his friends were going to be fine.

"Sir..." Sam didn't know what to say. Or she did know what to say, she wanted to tell Jack about everything, but once she'd begin she wouldn't know when to stop.

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"No, I do want to, it's just that... I'm sorry," Sam said and walked away.

***

"Daniel, Daniel please wake up," Janet whispered holding his hand. "Daniel I need you so much. Please."

Daniel didn't move. He was pale and weak, near coma. He had been in that stady for seven hours, without getting any better or worse.

Janet heard the door opening, but she didn't turn around. The next thing she felt was someone's hand on her shoulder. Then she heard Sam's voice.

"How's he doin' ?" Sam asked quietly. Janet sighed and looked at her.

"Not good. I don't know what to do with him. I've never seen a sickness like this before and... Oh my god, Sam, I feel so guilty about this. If I had checked him then, this whole thing wouldn't have happened."

"Janet, whatever you do, don't blame yourself," Sam said. "We need him almost as much as you do, Jan. We don't wanna lose him either. But we can't just sit here and wait."

"You're right. I'll go and continue the researches."

"No, dear. You're not going anywhere. Look at you, for god sake. You're paler than he is, and I'm sure you haven't slept or eaten."

"I can't think about eating right now," Janet said.

"You'll have to," Sam said. "Here, I brought you a sandwich. Go to your office and eat it. And take some sleep then."

"Sam, I have to work on that sickness thing..."

"I'll ask someone else to do that."

"Who ?"

"Um... Dr. Lucas Jones is a good doctor, isn't he ?"

"He's on vacation."

"Let's get him from there."

"No. Sam, you don't seem to understand how important this is to me. I have to save him on my own. Please."

"Okay, but first eat the sandwich. And work no longer than two hours. Then go to sleep and..."

"Sam, you sound just like my mom," Janet smiled weakly.

"That's great," Sam grinned. "Now get outta here !"

As Janet had left, Sam took a seat next to Daniel's bed.

"Hi," she said quietly and smiled. Daniel didn't react in any way.

"Dan, that thing between you and Janet, I think you're doing the right thing. If you love her, be with her. Otherwise, you'll lose so much... Trust me, I know. I was going to talk about that with Janet this morning, but we had some more important subjects. So it's still inside me. Erm, you don't mind if I tell you about it, do you ? See I really need to talk ot someone and since Janet is so busy..."

"You can talk to me," Jack said. Sam stood up.

"Sir," she said.

"How's he doing ?" Jack asked.

"Well, we don't know," Sam said. "Sir," she added.

"Drop that," Jack said.

"Drop what, sir ?"

"That 'sir' thing."

"Yes s... okay," Sam smiled.

"So is there anything new about him ?" Jack asked and pointed Daniel.

"No, he's still all the same."

"Where's Doc ?"

"I told her to get some rest. What I think she's doing now is working hard to find the way to cure Daniel."

"It was hard to get her outta here, wasn't it ?"

"Sir... Jack, I..." Sam didn't want to answer that, for she wasn't wanting Jack to know about her friends' secret.

"I see," Jack nodded. He went to take a seat next to Sam near Daniel's bed.

"How are you doin' ?" he asked and took her hand.

Sam tried to deny the thought that she was feeling much better because of the touch of Jack's hand. Though, it was hard to do.

"Fine," she said, not facing him. "A bit tired, maybe."

"Then go and get some sleep."

"No, I..."

"Sam," Jack took her chin in his hand and made her face him. "Please, give yourself a break. There's nothing you can do right now."

"Jack, I..." Sam didn't even try to deny that the touch of Jack's hand was comfortable and gentle.

"Sam, I'll be here and look after him. Doc is already workin' on the sickness. You really need a rest. It's an order," Jack said.

"Well in that case," Sam smiled. She stood up, but suddnly began to feel weak and dizzy and fell over.

"Sam !" Jack shouted. He tapped on her cheek. "Sam don't !"

She moved a little.

"Sam ?" Jack asked.

"I'm fine," Sam said in a weak voice and smiled sheepishly.

"You know, I don't believe you anymore," Jack said. "Let's take you to the doc and then I'll make sure that you get some sleep."

"What 'bout him ?" Sam asked quietly.

"I'l ask Teal'c to look after Danny while we're gone," Jack said. "Now can you walk ?"

"I think so," Sam smiled.

***

"You're absolutely fine," Janet said.

"She can't be absolutely fine if she just passed out out of nothing," Jack said.

"It was only because she's tired," Janet explained. "You don't have the virus or whatever it is."

"But how is it possible that..." Sam asked.

"Don't bother yourself with stuff like that," Janet smiled. "Colonel, you take care of her. Make sure that she eats something, and then she needs some sleep. About erm, two or three hours, cause she won't sleep any longer. I know Sam. Can you do that, Jack ?"

"Yep, if the doctor says so," Jack grinned.

Janet gave Sam some drugs to take after eating.

"Doc, I'd say the same to you," Jack said quietly. "You need some rest and some nice drugs and food."

"If I go to sleep now, he dies," Janet whispered back.

"What ?"

"He's getting worse. It's critical."

"I can't go with Carter then."

"You have to," Janet said. "And please don't tell her about what I told you. She has much enough things to worry about."

"Doc..."

"I'll let you know about his condition," Janet promised. "Now go and see that Sam's okay."

"Take care, Doc !" Jack said and left the room to follow Sam.


***

Sam was already at the door of the kitchen as Jack reached her.

"You know, you don't have to run," Jack said as he came.

"I'm sorry, I just want those two hours to pass faster," Sam said. Sure, that was one of the reasons. But the real one was that she couldn't control herself when Jack was around.

"You'll sleep just as long as you'll need to, Major," Jack smiled. He was still thinking about Daniel. "Now let's get you something to eat. Do you have that madical stuff with you ?"

"Sir I'm not a kid," Sam smiled.

"You are today," Jack smiled back and opened the door. "Now go !"

Sam was eating a sandwich when she asked Jack,

"Did Janet say anything new about Daniel ?"

Jack was praying in his mind that Sam wouldn't have asked that. He was a good liar, of course, but not good enough to tell Sam a lie. A big, terrible lie. He stared at the table.

"Nothing new," he finally said.

"I see," Sam didn't believe him and started getting worried.

"Take a second sandwich," Jack said.

"What ?"

"C'mon, you need to eat something."

"I just ate a sandwich."

"Take another."

"Why ?"

"Because you have to eat."

"I am eating."

"You have to eat more."

"Why ? Having something against thin women ?"

"No, I like thin women."

"That's nice, why are you telling me to eat another sandwich then ?"

"I like healthy women."

"Ow..."

"Thin and healthy - that's my type."

"I didn't know you had 'your type'."

"What do you mean ? Everyone has their type."

"Even Teal'c ?" Sam grinned. Was she actually flirting with him ?

"Even Teal'c," Jack replied. "There's only one thing he doesn't like."

"What would that be ?"

"Thin blondies."

"What's your point ?"

"Eat that sandwich !"

"So that Teal'c would like me ?"

"Yeah, and then dye your hair... erm, I dunno, black ?"

"Really ?" Sam grinned. Then she suddenly bowed over the table closer to Jack and took his hand into hers.

"Jack, what's wrong with you ?" she asked quietly.

Jack kept staring at her.

"I'm sad," he finally said.

"Sad because of what ?"

"Because you don't eat that sandwich."

"Okay. I'll eat it," Sam smiled. "But only for you."

As Sam had eaten her second sandwich, Jack brought her another glass of water.

"Now the drugs," Jack said.

"Yes sir," Sam smiled. She took the drugs and ate them. Then she began to feel dizzy.

"Wohow," she almost fell over.

"Sam ?" Jack asked.

"No no no, it's just because of the drugs. I'll be just fine."

"Are you sure ?" Jack asked.

"I am sure. See, those drugs make you fall asleep sooner and while you're sleeping they give you all the possible energy and stuff."

"I'm glad you explained it in the way I can get it," Jack smiled.

"You're welcome Jaaaaack," Sam said and fell right into his arms.

"God Sam !" Jack shouted and decided to take her to the doctor.

Jack carried her all the way to the infirmary, and it felt so good. She was there, warm and safe in his arms, and he knew she was alright. It was still a good thing to take her to Janet's.

Jack knocked on Janet's door with his leg. As the door opened he could see Janet's tired and desperate face. Jack understood she hadn't found any way to help Daniel.

"What is it now ?" Janet asked.

"She passed out," Jack replied. "Again."

"Did she take the drugs ?"

"Yep, in the kitchen."

"Right... Erm, she's fine. She's just sleeping. And will possibly sleep for next two or three hours. Take her to her room, but please stay there with her, in case that she wakes up earlier."

"Alright... How's Dan ?"

"I'm working on it," Janet said and closed the door.

Jack carried Sam to her room. Luckily the door wasn't locked, and Jack entered the room. He looked around. He liked it in Sam's room. He put her on a bed and patted her. Then he sat down next to her, looking for something to read. As he didn't find anything, he decided to just sit there and wait for Sam to wake up.

As Sam woke up two and a half hours later, she first didn't remember why and where was she. Then she took a look around and saw that she was in her own room in the base. Then she remembered things that had happened earlier.

Sam climbed out of the bed and was ready to leave the room and go to the infirmary. Then she saw Jack.

"Sir ?" she asked and came closer. He didn't answer. "Jack ?"

She noticed he was asleep. "Jack ?" she touched his cheek lightly. He mumbled something in his dream. "Jack," she tapped on his cheek. He raised his head and was finally awake.

"Sam," he said. "Sorry, guess I fell asleep."

"It's okay," Sam grinned. "We can go now."

"I think we should first take you to infirmary and make sure that you're okay, and only then we should go to see Daniel."

Jack remembered what Janet had told him about Daniel's condition, and he didn't want Sam to know about it too early.

They went to the infirmary. Jack knocked on the door. Nobody answered. He knocked again.

"We should go in," Jack said. Sam nodded.

They entered the room and it was empty. They went to the infirmary through Janet's office, which was also empty.

"Where is everyone ?" Sam wondered.

"You think that Daniel's sickness is a kind of an epidemy ?" Jack asked.

"No," Sam denied. They entered the infirmary.

"Major, Colonel," said a young doctor sitting next to Daniel's bed.

"Where's dr. Fraiser ?" Sam asked.

"In the Briefing room," the doctor said. "I think you can go there too."

"We'll do that," Jack said and they left.

***

"Major Carter, Colonel O'Neill," Hammond said as Jack and Sam entered the room. "Please take a seat."

Jack and Sam sat down next to Teal'c, looking around the room. Fraiser was sitting next to Hammond, they saw some of the doctors, and finally they noticed Mayborne in the corner.

"What's he doin' here ?" Jack asked Teal'c quietly and pointed Mayborne.

"He is ruining our day, as usual," Teal'c said. "He wanted to come and sit here, but I said these places were for you, so he had to sit there."

"Thanks Teal'c," Jack smiled.

"So, let's continue," Hammond said. "Dr. Fraiser, do you have anything else to tell us ?"

"No, sir, that was it," Janet said. Sam understood she hadn't found the way to heal Daniel yet.

"Sir, can I have the permission to help dr. Fraiser ?" Sam asked.

"Dammit people, you all have a permission to save dr. Jackson," Hammond said. "Dismissed," he said and left the room.

"Sam ? You coming ?" Janet asked.

"Yeah," Sam nodded.

"Now, wait a sec, doc," Jack said. "You have to check if she's okay first."

"I will, Colonel," Janet smiled. She and Sam left the room.

"Damn he cares about you," Janet grinned.

"C'mon Jan," Sam smiled and blushed.

"C'mon yourself, Sam. You like him don't ya ? That's what you wanted to talk 'bout, right ?"

"I like that you said 'wanted'. I don't want anymore."

"Okay okay, don't get mad," Janet smiled.

"How is it with him ?" Sam asked as they entered the infirmary and stood next to Daniel's bed.

"I don't know," Janet said.

"Right," Sam said. "What happened while I was sleeping ?"

"Well, lots of things. The electricity of the whole base shut down for a minute or two, with no normal reasons. Luckily we got it back with no damages."

"What happened to Daniel at that time ?"

"Nothing serious," Janet said. "He's still there."

"C'mon Jan, he'll be fine," Sam promised.

"Let's hope so," Janet whispered.

Suddenly the door opened. Cassandra ran in.

"Hi Cass !" Sam smiled.

"Hi Sam !" Cassandra smiled. "Hi Janet !"

Janet looked at Sam as if to let her see that Cassandra doesn't call her mom.

"Hi Cassie," Janet smiled and hugged the girl. "What brought you here ?"

"Jack said you have been here with no food or rest for long enough so he invites you to a dinner," Cassandra said.

"Wow," Sam smiled.

"We can't go now, dear," Janet said. "We're too busy."

"But please. Janet, Jack said I could come as well, and so we could be all together."

"No, Cassandra, I can not go. Take Sam with you if you want to, but I won't leave Daniel now."

"But Janet..." Cassandra inched.

"I said no !" Janet said. "Not now."

"But Jan, you really should come..." Sam tried one more time.

"No I won't leave him god dammit !" Janet yelled. Cassandra looked at her with wide eyes.

"Okay let's go Cass," Sam said. "See ya !"

Sam and Cassandra left the infirmary. As the door closed behind them, Janet sighed.

She went to check Daniel and suddenly became to feel dizzy.

"Whatte..." Janet whispered and went further from Daniel. She was feeling better again. She went to the computer and sat down. She began to feel bad again. The next thing that happened was that she became to cough and fell down to the floor. She hit her head to the chair and passed out.

Half an hour later Jack, Sam and Cassandra entered the infirmary. Janet was still on the floor next to all the computers.

"Whatte..." Jack mumbled as he saw her.

"Gosh !" Sam said and ran to see what was wrong with Janet.

But Cassandra was faster.

"Mom !" she cried and ran next to Janet. "Mommy dear, are you okay ? Mom !!! Sam, why doesn't she answer me ?"

Sam looked at Cassandra, being happy somewhere inside that Cassandra called Janet mom. What a pity that Janet hadn't heard that.

"Let me see sweetie," Sam smiled and came closer. She tried to stay calm, although she could almost guess what was wrong with Janet.

She bowed to take a look at Janet. She was right. The same things that Daniel had had before he sank into coma. Sam could see that Janet had had coughed a lot before she passed out. She could also see blood on Janet's hair and on the chair. Sam decided that Janet might had passed out because of the falling down, it didn't have to be the virus. Sam liked that idea so much, that she didn't even try to explain the signs of cough. She could take a look at them later alone, but now she had to come up with something believeble and nice for Cassandra to relax.

"What's wrong with her ?" Cassandra asked in a quiet voice.

"She'll be fine," Sam smiled. "She fell down from a chair, I'll check her and let you know when she wakes up."

"Okay," Cassandra tried to smile.

"And now go and find Teal'c," Sam smiled. Cassandra didn't want to leave that soon.

"Are ya sure mom's gonna be fine ?" she asked with tears in her eyes.

"Pretty sure," Sam smiled the nicest of her smiles. "She has to rest a little, but I'll let you know when she's up." Sam looked at Cassandra and then added. "Actually she'll let you know when she's up."

"Alright," Cassandra believed. "Bye Sam, bye Jack !" she said and left the infirmary.

As Cassandra had left, Jack turned to face Sam.

"You know, you said that so well that I almost believed you," he grinned.

"Yeah, they teach us that in medical school," Sam grinned back.

"How is she really ?" Jack asked and became serious again.

"I'm not sure. That thing about chair is true, but I can not say yet if she has the same virus as Daniel."

"Carter. I won't buy that."

"Okay, sir, I'm 99 percent sure that it's the same sickness," Sam said. "Now help me to carry her to the bed."

As Jack and Sam had put Janet to the bed, Sam began to check her.

"Patient's pulse is low..." Sam said. "I'll give her two tips of twenty fi..."

"Carter, stop this," Jack said.

"Sir ?" Sam wondered.

"You don't have to say all that stuff. I don't get it anyway."

"I was talking to myself," Sam explained. "I haven't been doing this for a while, sir. I'm a bit nervous."

"Do you want me to leave ?" Jack asked.

"No, no, please don't go," Sam replied. "I'll be over soon and it'll drive me crazy if I have to go through this alone."

"You're not alone," Jack said and came closer. Sam could almost feel his breath on her neck as she turned away.

"I have to go on with this, sir," she said.

Jack went to sit down. Damn, if he couldn't control himself even now, what'll happen later ? He closed his eyes, trying to calm down and think of Sam just as of his second-in-command. That wasn't going to be easy, but he could always try.

As Sam had finished, she turned to Jack.

"It's the same thing, sir," she said.

"Shit," Jack swore.

"Yes sir," Sam agreed.

"Stop siring me while we're here alone."

"Okay."

"Is it bad ?" Jack asked.

"Well, I don't know, for I know nothing about the whole sickness. But, it seems to be pretty much as bad as with Daniel."

"So, Doc isn't gonna to get us outta this," Jack asked.

"Nope."

"Well ?"

"Well what ?" Sam wondered.

"Well what are you gonna do ? I mean, Fraiser sure had some notes and stuff. Are ya gonna go and try to save them ?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way," Sam said and entered Janet's office. She went to the computer and looked at the screen. She could see that Janet was working on Daniel's virus before she passed out.

Sam sat down and began to read. She knew this wasn't going to be easy. Janet was a very good doctor, and Sam hadn't healed anyone for long time. But she had to do her best.

Jack was sitting on a chair next to Daniel's bed.

"C'mon kid, wake up," he said and wondered how loud his voice seemed in the empty room. "Dan, please," he said much quieter. As he finally understood that talking didn't work, he just took Daniel's hand and sat near him in silence.

***

Two hours later Jack entered Janet's office. Sam was sitting and staring at the computer's screen, looking tired and desperate.

"How's it going, Carter ?" Jack asked. Sam looked at him.

"Not good," she said. "What's this ?" she asked as the words and numbers on the screen disappeared. Then the lights went off. The room became dark.

"I think we're having an electrity break," Jack said. "Again."

"Oh my god, let's go and check Daniel and Janet !" Sam said and they ran to the infirmary.

"Look at him, he's not that pale anymore," Jack said as he saw Daniel.

"No, it's just because of the lighting," Sam said. "He can't get better that soon."

The lights came back on, and all the monitors and machines began to work again.

"Look now he's paler again," Jack said.

"Yes, because the lights are on," Sam said.

"Major, Colonel," they turned as they heard a voice.

"Lucas !" Sam smiled.

"Who ?" Jack asked.

"Doctor Lucas Jones," the man said and smiled. He had light brown hair and grey eyes, he was quite tall and about twenty-six-year-old.

"Jack," Jack introduced himself tiredly.

"What brought you here, Lou ?" Sam asked. "I thought you were on a vacation."

"I was, but as I heard about what's up here, I decided to come and see if I could help."

"We're doing just fine here," Sam said.

"Except we've got two dieing pacients here," Jack mumbled.

"Yeah, and soon you'll have two more, if you won't get some rest," Lucas said.

"We already rested, now we need to be here," Sam said.

"No, Sam, I can work on this for some time," Lucas said. Jack hated it when he called her Sam.

"Lou," Sam didn't know what to say.

"Trust me Sam," Lucas smiled.

Sam thought for a moment.

"Okay," she finally said. "We'll be back in an hour. Let us know if you come up with something."

"I will," Lucas promised.

Jack and Sam left the infirmary. They walked till Sam's room in silence.

"Jack, what's wrong now ?" Sam asked.

"What's what's wrong ?" Jack asked back.

"No really ?"

"Ev'rything's just fine," Jack said.

"If you say so."

They reached Sam's room.

"I'll get you in an hour," Jack said and was ready to leave.

"Are you going ?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, I need some rest too."

"Don't go."

"What ?"

"Please, I don't wanna be alone now," Sam looked at Jack with wide eyes. "Please, stay with me."

"Carter, you do know about the regs, right ?"

"Yes sir."

"And you still want me to come in ?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay," Jack smiled and entered Sam's room after her. He closed the door right before he could feel Sam's arms around his neck.

"Sam," he whispered. "You still do know about the regs, right ?"

"Yeah," she whispered and kissed him. He carried her to her bed. He was opening her jacket, as she suddenly pushed him away.

"Now I got it," Sam said. Jack looked at her in surprise.

"Got what ?" he asked.

"See, the woman on P2X-976 kissed Daniel, and he cathced the virus. Daniel kissed..."

"Aha !" Jack grinned.

"You would know it anyway," Sam smiled. "Daniel kissed Janet, and now she's sick too."

"So as long as no-one kisses Doc, we're safe ?" Jack asked.

"Just listen to me, smartass !" Sam laughed. Then she became serious and said. "When the electricity shut down, you saw that Daniel was getting better..."

"Aha !"

"Listen to me. What I think is that they get worse because of the electricity. Janet was working on the computer as she passed out, for example."

"So you mean that..."

"Every second in the infirmary near all the monitors and stuff..."

"Makes them worse," Jack finished her sentence.

"Exactly," Sam said.

"See, I'm already pretty good at this."

"Yes, but..."

"I can still be better ?" Jack guessed.

"I was saying yes, but we still don't know how to make them better," Sam smiled.

"Let's go and see if dr. Jones has come up with anything," Jack suggested.

"Let's do that," Sam agreed and they went to the infirmary.

As they entered the infirmary, Lucas came to greet them.

"You told you'll rest for an hour," he smiled.

"Anything new ?" Sam asked.

"No, I'm sorry, nothing," Lucas said. "Seems like they're getting worse."

"Seems like we know why," Jack said.

"What ?" Lucas wondered.

"In my opinion..." Sam said.

"In our opinion," Jack corrected.

"In our opinion," Sam continued. "They're getting worse because of the electricity around them."

"What ?" Lucas asked.

"Yes," Sam said. "I think we should switch off the monitors and other machines here, and wait."

"Wait ?" Lucas asked.

"There's nothing else we could do, Lou," Sam said.

"Well..."

"It's the only thing that could help them," Sam said.

"Okay," Lucas agreed. "Are you sure ?"

"Yes god dammit we are sure, doc," Jack said. "Just push the button."

"Yes sir," Lucas said and switched the monitors off. The infirmary became quiet.

Suddenly Sam began to worry. What if she was wrong ? What if it wouldn't work ? She looked at Jack, her eyes full of tears.

"Jack," she whispered. "What if it doesn't work ? What if we lose them ?"

Jack hugged her gently.

"It will work," he whispered into her ear and she started to feel better. "We won't lose them, Sam."

"Sam, Colonel," Lucas said. He was standing next to Daniel's bed. "Come here !"

Sam and Jack almost ran there.

"What's up ?" Jack asked and looked at Daniel. "Gosh !"

Daniel's eyes were open. He was awake, very weak, very pale, but alive and awake.

"Daniel !" Sam smiled and gave him a kiss on his cheek.

"We've missed ya buddy," Jack hugged Daniel.

"I'll go tell General," Lucas said.

"You do that," Jack smiled and faced Daniel again.

"How're ya feeling ?" he asked.

"Head's aching, I feel sleepy and tired, but I'm okay," Daniel said quietly. "Damn it's good to see you guys. Where's Teal'c ?"

"I am here, Daniel Jackson," they heard Teal'c's voice. The jaffa came closer. "I met Doctor Jones, he told me that Daniel Jackson has been waken up."

"Hi Teal'c," Daniel smiled.

"It is good to see you," Teal'c smiled. "How is Doctor Fraiser ?"

"What ?" Daniel asked. "What's wrong with Janet ?"

"The same thing that you had," Sam explained. "But she'll be fine, Daniel. Don't worry about that."

"Yeah, right," Daniel said. "Where is she ? I need to see her."

"She's in the bed next to your's," Sam said.

Jack helped Daniel to sit up in his bed. Daniel looked at Janet.

"Gosh, she's so pale," he whispered and turned to face Sam. "Is she gonna be fine ?"

"Yeah," Sam smiled.

"Are you sure ?" Daniel asked.

"You can count on it," Sam smiled.

"Look who's up," General Hammond entered the infirmary, smiling.

"General," Daniel smiled.

"Good to see you awake, Doctor," Hammond smiled. "How's dr. Fraiser ?"

"She'll wake up any minute, sir," Lucas said.

"That's nice. Let me know when she's up. And let dr. Jackson sleep for a while."

"Yes sir," Lucas said.

"You heard what he said, Danny," Jack smiled.

"Yeah," Daniel smiled. "But I can't sleep if Janet's not okay."

"You can't or you won't ?" Jack asked. "And besides, Janet is okay. She's just not awake yet."

"Listen Jack, I need to tell you something," Daniel said. He looked at Sam, Teal'c and Lucas. They were standing behind Jack. Lucas understood Daniel's glance right away.

"I'll go to the lab to get the things I need for a test," he said. "I'll be back after like fifteen minutes, hope the infirmary would be with no outsiders then."

Lucas left. Daniel kept staring at Sam and Teal'c.

"I think Daniel Jackson wants us to go away, Major Carter," Teal'c said. Sam smiled.

"If that's what he wants," she said. "We'll be outside the room."

Sam and Teal'c left the infirmary.

"C'mon, tell me, before Lucas is back," Jack said.

"Erm, this day, see, it was supposed to be a very important for me and Janet," Daniel said. "You know that Janet and I..."

Jack nodded.

"Have heard something about it. Go on !"

"Well, I was going to... erm, since we were so close, and Cassie likes me, I thought that..." Daniel tried to explain.

"C'mon Danny, you know you can tell me anything," Jack said.

"Sure, if only you could feel the same way," Daniel mumbled.

"What ?"

"You know what I mean," Daniel said. "You and Sam..."

"Daniel Jackson, we were talking about you and Doc, let me and Sam be."

"So there is something between you and Sam."

"Might be."

"I take that as a yes," Daniel said.

"Take it as whatever you want."

"Yadda yadda," Daniel grinned.

"So, Daniel, what was it you wanted to tell me ?" Jack asked.

"I was going to ask Janet if she... If she wants to marry me," Daniel said. Jack didn't answer.

"I do," Jack and Daniel both heard a silent voice.

"Janet ?" Daniel sat up and asked.

"Yeah," Janet smiled.

"You want to..."

"I do."

"My heart bleeds," Jack grinned. "Gonna call Lucas here."

He walked towards the door, but suddenly he turned back and came closer to Daniel's and Janet's beds.

"Congradulations you guys," he smiled. Then he turned around quickly and walked out of the room.

Sam saw Jack coming out of the infirmary.

"What's going on there ?" she stood up and asked.

"He just... proposed," Jack said.

"He what ???"

"Guess we have a wedding coming soon."

"Is Janet awake ?"

"Yep, I'll get the Doc," Jack said and left.

Sam entered the infirmary. Daniel and Janet were shining.

"Hi guys," Sam smiled.

"Sam, you'll never believe..." Janet started to say.

"I will," Sam smiled. "I already know. Congradulations !"

"Thanks !" both Daniel and Janet said.

"Sam, I need you to leave the room for a while," Lucas entered the infirmary and said. "I'll do some tests."

"Yep," Sam said. As she walked past Lucas, he said quietly.

"Jack's waiting for you outside."

***

Sam left the infirmary and saw Jack sitting on a bench. He hadn't noticed her yet.

"Hi," Sam said and took a seat next to him.

"Hi," Jack replied.

"You wanted to see me."

"Always do."

Sam didn't answer. There was silence between them, but it didn't feel bad. Then Jack finally spoke.

"I was thinking about Daniel and Janet," he said.

"Me too," Sam answered. "They're so lucky."

"Yeah. We could be as lucky as they are."

"Could be," Sam said quietly.

"Sam, I..."

Sam faced Jack, and a tear ran down her cheek.

"What's wrong now ?" Jack asked gently and wiped up her tear.

"It's just... It's been such a long day," Sam said like a small child.

"I know, sweetheart. I know. It'll be over soon. Now let's dry your tears and go find Cassie. I'm sure she wants to meet Janet."

"Yeah," Sam whispered.

Jack hugged her tightly, and she came down.

Sam took Jack's hand and they began to walk down the corridor.

As they entered the room where Cassandra stayed in the base, they saw her in there together with Teal'c.

"How's mommy ?" Cassandra asked as she saw Jack and Sam.

"She's awake now," Sam smiled. The next moment she saw Cassandra running out of the room.

"Maybe we should go too," Sam said and smiled.

"Guess so," Jack answered.

***

Janet and Daniel stared at Lucas.

"You're both fine," he finally said. "Just need lots of fresh air and vitamins, but you'll be fine."

"What about the computers ?" Janet asked.

"You shouldn't use them for a couple of weeks. Not that they would make you sick again, just you need a vacation. Both of you."

"So can we go now ?" Daniel asked.

"Well, actually, yes. See I've done all the tests, and you're just fine. You sure have to see General Hammond, but I'm sure he'll give you the permission to have a vacation."

"Thanks Lou," Janet smiled. She looked at the door, that opened suddenly and Cassandra ran in.

"Mommy !" she smiled. "Mommy thank god you're okay !"

Janet hugged the girl.

"Cassie dear," she whispered, her eyes full of tears. After the hug, Cassandra sat down on Janet's bed.

"Cassie, we need to tell you something," Janet said. "Daniel and I..."

"He finally proposed ?" Cassandra asked. "Great !"

"What do you mean 'finally' ?" Janet asked. But Cassandra didn't answer. She was already hugging Daniel.

"Gosh, it's so good, soooooo good !" she laughed.

Sam entered the room together with Jack, Teal'c and Hammond.

"I've already heard the news," Hammond smiled. "Congradulations !"

"Thank you, General," Janet smiled.

"Have you already told Cassie ?" Sam asked.

"Guess," Janet smiled. Sam looked at Cassandra and didn't need the answer anymore.

"Now attention, people !" Hammond said. "We've all tired. It's been a long, long day. Both doctor Fraiser and doctor Jackson need to rest. So why don't we all just go home now ?"

"Sounds great to me," Janet smiled. "Daniel and I will just change clothes and we can go home, Cassie."

"Is Daniel coming with us ?" Cassandra asked.

"Do you want me to ?" Daniel asked back.

"Yeah," Cassandra smiled. "And Daniel... can I already call you 'dad' ?"

Daniel didn't answer, he just hugged her and was so lucky to be there.

***

Jack put his arm around Sam's shoulders as they walked out of the Cheyenne montain towards his car. Sam's car was going to wait there for some time.

"I'm so glad it's over now," Sam said.

"Yeah," Jack agreed.

"And I'm so glad it worked out for Jan and Dan."

"Yeah."

"And for us," Sam smiled and looked at Jack.

"Yeah," he smiled back. "Now let's go home."

"Home sounds nice, Jack," she said and put her head on his shoulder. "Let's go home."

The end.


If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anna