Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Embrace the Future

by Angelheart
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Embrace the Future

Embrace the Future

by Angelheart

Title: Embrace the Future
Author: Angelheart
Email: angelheartsgc@hotmail.com
Category: AU, Freindship/romance, Angst
Pairing: Daniel/Sam
Spoilers: Hardly any but some from season 1, 2 and 3
Season: 3
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: au,
Status: Completed
Summary: Sam Carter is now the leader of SG-6 and a new member is assigned onto the team. One must wonder how the team copes.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of ShowTime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gecko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary: the settings and characters are fictitious and not intended to represent specific places or living persons. Not to be archived without permission of the author. The song 'That don't impress me much was used without the permission of the artist. No copyright infringement intended. Please don't shoot me if the character resembles 'Kay Scarpetta' from Patricia Cornwell's novels. I really didn't mean it and again don't sue me. Very little resemblance except from the fact that she is the chief medical examiner of Virginia. I'm not real good with geography and couldn't think of another state and a capital city. Pretty please don't sue me.
Author's notes: I was on the middle of writing this piece when I heard on the news that the Pentagon and the World Trade centre was hit by hi- jacked airliners. I want to dedicate this story to those who died in the horrendous disaster and pay respect to the men and women who died while serving their country in the pentagon.
Feedback: This is the first fanfic I've put forward. Even when I was real busy doing my exams and stuff I found time to write bits, please give me feed back. It means a lot, and Id love advise. This is obviously a series. I've got the second one written up but I don't want to post it till I get some feed back on this one. Especially about the new character. If you don't like it. I'll scrap the whole thing.

The building did not look as gloomy as she imagined to be. A 13-floor building looked busy and occupied even early on a Saturday morning. The blonde sighed and walked into the main entrance, where she was lead to a waiting room on the 4th floor by an irritatingly polite young woman who introduced herself as 'Tina' or rather.

"Dr Benton's secretary will be here in a minute or two."

The blonde in the leather jacket sat down on one of the modest -chairs the city council provided and looked around the furnished waiting area. Grey carpets, magazines arranged on black tabletops, it was in every way a typical waiting room the kind you would find in hospitals. Except the Latin inscription on the marble wall said otherwise.

"Taceant Colloguia Effugiat Risus Hic Locus Est Ubi Mors Gaudet Succurrere Vitae."

The short-haired blonde quietly mumbled to herself. She had learned Latin in high school and though it was one of her most hated subjects she could just about make out what it said.

"One would find little conversation or laughter in this place where death delighted to help the living."

She felt proud of herself and noted that it was good to have a boyfriend who spoke twenty different languages. She could brag about it later. Her smirk was wiped off her face as two elderly couple came out into the open area through a double stain door. They clung onto each other tightly and the old lady was just about to collapse. They did not look up or speak, wrapped up in such pain. A moment passed and a hand on her shoulder startled her.

"Miss, Dr Benton will see you now. What did you say your name was?"

"I'm an old friend. This is more of a surprise really."

Sam said and she was lead through a long corridor and a door blocked them. The young man, whom she believed to be the Dr's secretary took out a security card and swiped it through and by passed the security system. While this was going on Sam got reminded back to SGC. It had only been a day and she was missing everyone already. 'Concentrate on the mission in hand' she thought to herself. Now thinking like a Major in the United States Airforce, the commanding officer of SG-13.

****

A quite knock made her stop what she was typing on her laptop.

"Come in."

A familiar face entered. David, her secretary and aide.

"What can I do for you David?. I haven't forgotten about my meeting in the city chamber, don't worry."

The women sitting in the office chair asked, in a rather soft tone as if she was talking to her baby brother.

"There's a lady here to see you ma'am."

David replied and smiled at his boss.

"Did you ask her who she was?"

"She just said that she's an old friend and that she came all the way from Colorado just to see you. But like you said, you have a board meeting to attend. And you have to leave now. Should I tell the lady to come back another time?"

Curious as to who he was Christine gave her answer.

"Cancel the board meeting. Tell them that I'm otherwise occupied. I wanna know who this person is."

Christine knew that the board and the Richmond PD would go ballistic if she didn't turn up as she had been stalling them for 2 weeks about a case but she wanted to meet the stranger. She had a certain good feeling about it. After all the stranger had travelled quite a long way, Colorado to Virginia, how long did that take?

Only seconds later a tall blonde entered her officer. The blonde had intelligent blue eyes; a knowing smile creased along her lips and was dressed in Black. Christine immediately recognised her.

"Oh my gosh, Samantha Carter, is that you?"

Both surprised and confused Chris walked towards the young woman, she hadn't seen for some 8 years.

"How long has it been, Gees, you look great."

Chris commented.

"Thanks, you look great too."

"Have a seat, I'll get you a coffee."

Soon they were sitting comfortably on a couch talking about the good old days.

"You're doing well aren't you? Chief medical examiner of Virginia and consultant to the FBI, you must be doing well."

"You know an awful lot."

Chris carefully commented.

"Well, this is the city morgue building after all."

"Yeah, I guess so. How are you doing? Still in the Airforce. What a Captain?"

"Major, actually got a promotion last year."

"Congratulations I'm sure you deserved it."

Chris had a bitter smile and her eyes reflected regret and pain. Not noticing this Carter managed to hit yet another nerve.

"I didn't know that you resigned from the commission, when did that happen?"

"A long time ago."

"It can't have been that long ago, last time I checked you were a Major. And what, you left the Academy like a year before me."

"I don't really like talking about it."

Chris frowned and Sam decided to drop the subject for now.

"What are you doing these days?"

Chris immediately asked trying to hide her discomfort when talking about her past.

"I can't tell you, since it's classified but it's something to do with astrophysics."

Sam smiled sweetly at Chris; a woman she used to so admire had changed. Sam could detect it quite readily.

"I take it, you got your PhD on it."

"Yeah I did, I did a master on quantum mechanics and I got the PhD a year after that."

"That's rather impressive, you were always crazy about the stars. Actually I remember the time when I took you out for your first X 301 ride and you told me that you would go into space one day. That you would do research that would save the world. Not quite there yet huh?"

Chris fell into nostalgia and Sam felt uncomfortable about lying to her friend.

"Well you'll get your chance."

"I came here to see you to offer you a job,"

Sam said out of the blue.

"You offer me a job? What could the Airforce possibly offer me? I'm quite sure that they can't beat whatever I'm doing here."

She said as if she couldn't believe what Carter had just said.

"A chance of a life time. To finally do the kind of research you dreamt of. To serve in combat and save the world by solving medical mystery. To be the Agatha Christi of the DNA age."

Sam said, passionately but she did not get a very passionate response from her.

"Like I said before, that was a long time ago, my work is here."

Sam got slightly frustrated. Where was the woman who encouraged her, told her to prove that she was good as any man, advised to take a chance and become what she dreamt of, always repeating what a great honour it was to serve a country by making sacrifices.

"I don't understand. I thought that you'd want this. There was a post and you were the first person that I thought of, you were the one who encouraged when I felt like throwing away everything and go home, you were the one who kept saying that there was no greater privilege to serve in the military. What happened to you? Where is the feisty young Lieutenant that graduated, the enthusiastic MD who fulfilled impossible missions?"

"She died, a long time ago and there's nothing that can bring her back."

Chris quietly replied.

"My place is here, as Chief medical examiner of Virginia."

"What? You're place is among the living, not among the dead. The living needs you more that corpses do. Listen to me Chris; this is the ultimate chance to study what you wanted to study what you started out as. As a virologist."

"You're wrong. I'm satisfied here. And that's my final answer. I'm sorry Sam but you can't make me abandon this."

Sam was furious, she couldn't believe this. She thought that Chris would feel grateful towards offering her a position and even more so when she found out about the SGC. She knew Chris very well, She knew that Chris was the kind of strong willed person who wouldn't back down, just like her CO, former to be exact. She had her own command now. Walking out the door she whispered one more thing, although she knew it wouldn't change her mind.

". You inspired me to be who I am today. And I thank you Chris. I don't know what happened to the Chris O'Connor I used to know, but if there's a little bit of her left in you somewhere, I know that she wouldn't refuse to achieve her life's dream. I know she wouldn't throw it away because of a simple turn about Thank you for your time Chief medical examiner."

Walking out of the building she was thoroughly disappointed in Chris. She had to keep wondering what could happen in order to change a person like that. She got into her rented Lincoln and drove to the Richmond Airport, where she would take a flight to San Diego. Maybe she could enjoy her leave although she failed her original mission.

****

It was late and the Jack sat in his cosy living room in front of the fire, watching the heavy January snowfall. He sighed, grabbed another bottle of beer and switched on his laptop. He thought back to his stressing week. Daniel was in the infirmary now. He would be bored to his poor skull and in a desperate search for his books.

****

It was a routine exploratory mission to P7X 452 that disaster struck and Jack lost his nerves.

"Daniel, are you sure you'd be okay?"

Jack shouted, concerned for the safety of his friend.

"Yeah sure Jack. It's only caves. I think I can handle them."

Daniel replied trying to reassure jack. It sure as hell wasn't. Jack had heard those words spoken many times but it didn't prevent the enthusiastic archaeologist from getting in trouble.

"Tell you what, Teal'c why don't you go with him?"

Jack asked the stoic Jaffa who was much obliged to do so, but the new guy, Captain Eric Taylor, was his name, interfered.

"Sir I would like to accompany him. I'll look after Doctor Jackson if you would like to go and scout ahead."

Everyone there knew that Eric was trying to get away from Jack, or at least avoid having to stay with him alone for 2 hours. Daniel felt slightly sorry for the young captain. jack had been acting uncivilly which was not to be unexpected, baring in mind that it was Jack O'Neill they were talking about. Daniel decided to help out.

"You know, Eric's really interested in cave painting and everything so why doesn't he come and help me."

"That's not his job Daniel."

Jack said in a cold tone. He had, had just enough in capable, too energetic, immature officers to last him a lifetime in the past four weeks.

"Come on Jack, please. He can look after me, and I promise I won't run away from hi."

Daniel pleaded with puppy dog eyes and Jack lost his battle.

"You watch his back side. You are not to leave his side under any circumstances. The UAV detected some kind if lives form so we have to be careful. You got that Taylor?"

Taylor nodded vigorously in relief.

It was 15 minutes later that Jack heard urgent calls from his radio. He ran, with Teal'c as fast as he could.

Upon arriving, he realised that Daniel had been injured, probably a broken leg and Taylor searching for the medical kit.

"What happened?"

Jack asked out of breadth and extremely concerned.

"There was somebody who attacked me from the back. I ran. And I fell of that ridged."

Daniel pointed his finger to a drop at least 13 feet.

"Attacked you from the back? And you didn't see anything?"

Jack questioned and Taylor turned pale.

"I was checking out the other side of the cave. I saw something that depicted the origin of the...."

Jack looked mighty pissed.

"Wait a minute, you left him, alone?"

Taylor did not reply. He knew that if he spoke or even try to explain it would anger the Colonel even more.

"I gave you an order, captain. And you deliberately disobeyed me."

Jack helped Daniel up and ordered Teal'c to dial the gate, which could now be seen.

Only through and after handing Daniel over, into the capable hands of Doctor Fraiser, Jack turned to face his new 2IC."

"Would you like to explain yourself captain. Start with why you disobeyed my order."

Jack wasn't anticipating a reply.

"It happened to fast sir. It was only 30 meters away from him. In fact I could hear him muttering about some ancient culture."

He defended himself. Knowing that things couldn't get worse the Captain decided top stand up for himself.

"I don't care. I told you to watch his back and make sure that he didn't leave your sight. If Daniel had been more seriously injured or even killed, the responsibilities would all fall on your shoulders, not mine." Jack was furious, shouting and from the background technicians were curious to as why Jack was so mad.

"Permission to speak freely sir."

"Go ahead. Knock yourself out."

"Sir, if it was Major Carter who did this and not me. You would have told her that it wasn't her fault and that everyone makes mistakes. If she stood here blaming himself, you would have patted her on the back say that it was her fault."

The Captain spoke, clearly and unafraid.

" I could have you off you off my team as of effective of now! You have no idea what you're saying!"

"Don't you Sir? The fact is you don't think anybody is good enough for SG-1, if it isn't Sam Carter Colonel. You're so hung up on her. As for being off SG-1, I put in my requisition report before we left today. I'm going to NASA sir. And as of now I'm no longer under your command. You wanted me off this team from the start, sir, and I respect that. You obviously need the Major back."

Jack stood their awe struck. He looked up to the control room and realised that General Hammond and Sam had witnessed the entire scene. General Hammond just looked at him but Carter walked away. That's when he heard that Carter was given leave time.

****

Jack sighed again. Everything that Eric Taylor was true. Well most of it. The truth was he missed Carter too much. Jack was the one who suggested that Sam get her own command. He felt that it was selfish of him to deny her that when she achieved so much and showed great potential as a SG team leader. Jack hated to see his best team break up but he decided that he couldn't hold her back forever. This made him sign al the necessary paper work, however this did not stop him from being in a foul mood. He hated going on missions without Sam. Over the years they had developed some kind of bond. This special bond allowed them to communicate even without talking. Not only were they able to trust each other to watch there back, they had been the closest of friends. They quipped and teased each other but at the heart they were best friends. Since long ago Jack had dismissed the idea of them being lovers but he always thought of her as a sibling, a younger sister to hold and comfort, to protect. He wondered where Carter was now and hoped to God that she wasn't pissed with him. Then he was driven from his thoughts when the computer notified him that some one was on line.

Doc: Glad to see you on line. Couldn't sleep either huh?

Stargazer: Guess the same goes for you.

Doc: How was your week?

Stargazer: Terrible.

Doc: What happened?

Stargazer: I had to fire somebody. An employee.

Doc: What did he or she do?

Stargazer: Not doing what he was told and speaking the truth.

Doc: The truth about what?

Stargazer: well I work with a team and I'm the boss. Anyway there are lots of teams but mine's the best.

Doc: Really??? Sarcasm is creeping in.

Stargazer: No seriously. I had the best team before I spilt it up.

Doc: If it was the best then why did you take it apart?

Stargazer: Because it was time for one of my team members to have a team of her own. I let her go and I've been through 3 replacements already. I fired the 4th yesterday. But the thing is before the guy was fired, he said that I was biased and that I couldn't accept him for whom he was because of my former employee.

Doc: Was it the truth?

Stargazer: In some way it is. I really miss her.

Doc: Do you not see her anymore?

Stargazer: I see her everyday but it isn't the same. She's the best in everything. I know it's selfish but I want her back.

Doc: How does she feel about al this?

Stargazer: The thing is, she loves having her own team. Yes she misses her old team at times but she's happy. She left rather abruptly after seeing me fore the loser. I feel like crap.

Doc: Are you in love with her?

Stargazer: No. It's not like that. I love her like a little sister. I just miss her being on my own team.

Doc: If I can be of any help, I would like to say just one thing. I'm sure that there are others in the world who are just as good. I think you're grieving over your loss too much. You get to see her everyday. It's not like she just disappeared from your life all together. be grateful for what you have now, Give other people an opportunity, It's only fair. You have to move on.

Stargazer: Thanks, I needed to hear that. Everyone was too scared of me to actually come out and say it.

Doc: You're welcome.

Stargazer: How was your week?

Doc: It was okay. And I met an old friend today

Stargazer: What kind of friend?

Doc: Not a boyfriend if that's what you mean.

Stargazer: I am so relieved.

Doc: Don't flatter yourself.

Stargazer: I've come to enjoy the little quips we had.

Doc: So are we gonna talk about my old friend or not?

Stargazer: Be my guest.

Doc: Smart-ass.

Stargazer: Thanks

Doc: I knew her when I was a cadet in the military.

Stargazer: You were in the military? What branch?

Doc: Airforce. I resigned 5 years ago.

Stargazer: Why did you resign? And what rank were you?

Doc: I was a Major; I resigned due to personal matters.

Stargazer: Too bad, but I'm sure you'd be one hell of a Major, being super smart and all.

Doc: Thanks but I think I'm just fine the way I am. I hate the military and everyone in it. For sometime now, they have represented something that I stood against. And I resent that.

Stargazer: I know quite a bit about the Military and frankly I know enough about it that they make you do some damn distasteful things. But they do what they have to do. Not because they enjoy it.

Doc: And for the sake of politics. Then men in Washington have no idea whatsoever about the things they are doing out there. How it affects people. All they care about is themselves.

Stargazer: I know how you feel.

Doc: Do you? You couldn't possibly know, unless everything you worked hard for is about to be crushed under their fingertips. Forgotten, buried and never to be seen again. Disappearing as if it never existed.

Stargazer: You might be surprised. Believe it or not, there are some good people in the military. Not all obsessed about killing or politics and power. Some of them do care. They work their ass off to save others. They devote their lives in the honour of serving their countries. There are a few good men. Men and women who care more about honour, morality and humanity than those sichophants in Washington do.

Doc: It's hard to believe when no one stood up for the right cause. They just gave up and walked away.

Stargazer: What did your friend want you for?

Doc: She offered me a job. She came a long way just so that I would have a choice. She knows me pretty well. Or should I say knew me. When I refused the job, she said that there was a part of me who wanted to achieve my life long dream. I wasn't sure if I should and I told her that I'd changed. I was scared 'cos if I accepted the job, it would mean that I would have to give up what I worked for in the past 4 years and start a fresh, amongst those I hate the most.

Stargazer: In the military.

Doc: Yes. I don't; want to go there because I know that memories will haunt me. I'm really sacred of history refusing itself.

Stargazer: I happen to know a lot about fear too. All the advice that I can offer is don't let past emotions take you away from the future. What is done is done. As much as you my hate it, it can't be altered. The best anyone can do is learning to live with it. There will be fear always, about the past but you learn it, you study and you make sure that the same things don't happen again.

Doc: I really don't know. It's all too complicated.

Stargazer: It doesn't have to be. If there is a dream, that you dreamt you have o go after it. Life is too short. Don't waste any of it. Live every minute of every hour of everyday. In the end that's all we'll ever have.

Doc: Thanks for your advice. I'll think about it. I promise.

Stargazer: Well I gotta go.

Doc: See you.

****

Chris put her dressing gown on and walked into her kitchen to get a glass of water. She was so tired but she knew what had to be done. She picked up the phone and dialled.

"Get me the Governor. This is the Chief medical examiner."

"Good morning Sir."

Samantha Carter said cheerfully as she saw Jack O'Neill walking into the locker room. She had been on leave for 3 days due to her flight to Virginia and after a brief visit with mark she had come back in her stunning self.

"Why are you in your dress blues sir?"

Sam asked wondering what the special occasion was.

"Dressing up for your welcome back party"

Jack said making Sam smile even more.

"Okay that's obviously a lie. What's going on?"

"I'm gonna meet up with your replacement in SGC. I thought that I'd look nice for her.

Sam gave a bitter smile this time, remembering her conversation with Chris.

"It's a she? Well now I know the real reason as to why you're dressing up. Make sure she doesn't fall in love with you Sir."

Sam teased.

"What like you did?"

Jack quipped and Sam continued to giggle.

"Yes of course Jack."

"Gotta run see ya."

Jack said as he left the locker room. Sam couldn't figure out from exactly when but he Jack started to feel comfortable getting changed right in front of her. It was strange but she didn't mind. She didn't mind at all. She guessed it was because he thought of her as a sibling, just as she did. A big brother that she could count on. Although she did get images of Jack having a shower she knew well about her situation and continued her life with the love of her life, but that was another story all together.

"I'm Major General George Hammond."

The woman in a grey suit smiled at him.

"Nice to meet you General."

She didn't bother saluting him, after all she hadn't been reactivated yet, nor did she feel that she had any obligations to.

"Sorry I'm late sir,"

Jack came running down the stairs.

"You know me and these uniforms,. I had to get one of the nurses to do up the buttons."

Jack joked and earned a small smile from General Hammond, but the woman looking over to the Gate room didn't even turn around, until Jack approached her.

"I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill."

Jack was expecting a snappy salute or something but none came. Not even a smile. He found this peculiar. When he was told that a replacement for Carter had arrived he had expected an officer but all he saw was a cold beauty in a formal grey suit, a woman that looked to be civilian. Jack dismissed the thought. It couldn't be.

"I've read a lot about you Colonel. I must say that I'm very impressed with your work."

Jack shrugged.

"I try my best."

Trying to be modest and grinned. He didn't get a smile back in return. This made him feel all the more awkward. He examined her, inch by inch. She was attractive but some things seemed to be missing from her eyes. She was a different kind of beauty from Carter. The woman before him was not Carter. She had grey eyes that reflected great intelligence and her long brown hair was definitely not airforce issue. Under her light grey suit and lilac blouse he could imagine a firm, athletic body. Furthermore her grey pants matching her Jacket and high-heeled shoes only seemed to defy the style of military. He wondered if she was military at all.

Upon seeing that no conversation was developing between them General Hammond started off, glancing at both of them.

"Major Benton was based in..."

Taking offence in the way she was addressed Chris quickly corrected him, much to Jack's surprise.

"Dr, actually. I'm not military at the moment General. I would prefer it if you would refer to me in my salutation, until I am re-activated."

Her voice was authoritative and calm. General Hammond had encountered many officers and civilian advisers before but he had never been so effectively influenced by them till that day.

"You're not military? What do you mean reactivated?"

Jack questioned.

"As I was saying Dr Benton was the Chief Medical Examiner of Virginia and a consultant for the FBI. She came with the recommendations of Major Carter, although I don't think that the major knows Dr Benton is here."

Then it hit him. He knew why the name and the face seemed so familiar. He had seen pictures in Carter's house, pictures of two women in an X 301, smiling and saluting at the camera. Also he had heard about her from Carter. And he realised that Carter had intended to see her on her leave. It came flooding back. More images and words.

"Weren't you on televisions recently?"

Jack queried, even more fascinated.

"Yes, there was a case that I was handling, that turned very public recently."

Jack nodded and smiled; maybe he was getting a professional after all.

"Would you care to tell us a little more about your background, your qualifications Dr Benton?"

Jack asked and gave a small smile but as always none came back. It was getting annoying Jack thought.

"It's all there."

Dr Benton pointed to a folio lying in front of Jack O'Neill.

"I would like to hear it from you actually. Have a taste of what kinda person you are. I hate looking through papers. It doesn't ell me much. But what I'm really interested in is you dynamic. As you might be well aware, SG-1 is the premier team this facility has. I would like to take great pride in that. If there was to be an attack from off world, this command will be automatically made front line. It is important that the premier team can work together. Co ordinate. So far we had great success in that matter. All of Dr Jackson, Major Carter and Teal'c have been able to work together as a team. The impossible missions we completed, it would have been truly impossible to complete if the team could not move together as one. It's extremely important, believe me."

Jack gave a speech and Dr Benton was getting fed up with it. She had the same old speech when she joined all her Special Forces team and in her past she was the one to give them.

"Well if only you think that's necessary."

Commented Chris and she began.

" Even though I come from a family of Doctors and scientists I immediately listed as an officer after I did my undergraduate course in MIT. Molecular Biology. I entered the Airforce academy in Colorado and had special training as a navigation pilot. I specialise X 301s. After I made lieutenant at the age of 22, but at the same time I co-ordinated with the University of California in Los Angeles and did my MD. I was a doctor by the time I was 24. I returned to active duty in the Special Forces. Two-year and I did a degree on forensic Science in Yale. After I got my PhD in Yale, I was posted in USARMRIID as a researcher. I had made Captain by then. I was in the Special Forces once again and after some personal problems I left the Special Forces and soon resigned from duty. I made major. I spent 10 years in the Airforce in total. And you know after that I worked as a civilian in the branch called CSI in Las Vegas and after that I made Chief Medical examiner of Virginia."

Jack looked at her in surprise and opened the small booklet.

"It seems that you missed some things out, Dr."

Jack said, quietly and began reading out loud.

"It says here that you have previous special qualification in infiltration, black hawks, chemical weapons, biological weapons, mind control techniques, torture, assassination and demolition. Not to mention that you are a marksman in 4 different pistols and 2 riffles."

"That is correct."

Jack was clearly impressed. None of the former replacement had such a shining banner as Dr Benton did. And after the advice he had received from a friend he was ready to move on. The only thing that bothered him was that she was not military.

"Are you considering to be reactivated?"

"If I have be, then yes."

"Consider yourself reactivated and as my 2IC. You are now a member of SG-1. Welcome aboard."

****

The weeks went by and Daniel recovered quickly. Routine missions were completed as per usual and Major Benton started to get used to life at SGC. It was strange not seeing bodies to dissect everyday but she got by. She got by fine. At first she felt uneasy with a P-90 but she soon got the hang of it. She began to love her new job, and her new friends. Sam had been so pleased about Chris, changing her mind.

"What changed your mind Chris?"

"Someone very wise told me that I should face my fears and achieve my dream. He also said that life is too short to just hang around."

"He? So is it a special guy?"

"No, I barely know him, and I haven't spoken with him in weeks now."

Chris remarked but she longed to thank 'stargazer'. In a way he was the one who gave her the job. The bast job on the face of the planet.

Soon, Chris had come to spot the uniqueness of SG-1 and prided herself that she was a member of it. She realised that SG-1 was special in its humanity. Each member was human, (well not literally but you get the idea). They treated each other with special respect. It's special quality of being much more than a team or workers. It came to the extent and category of being a family. It was definitely a strange sensation. She barely knew the men, but there she was thinking of them as family. The first person that she got friendly with was Daniel. Visiting him in the infirmary and hearing about his life they quickly bonded. Daniel was a genius but a child at heart. Chris became appreciative of his innocence and enthusiasm. Teal'c was a header person to get to know. he was usually silent and stoic. At first she felt that he didn't like her because of his lack of words but when she realised that it was Teal'c true personality, his silence became reassuring and trusting. Now the real big mystery of SG-1 was, it's leader. Colonel Jonathan O'Neill. He seemed to put up with her, just barely, and talk to her on occasions but she still felt that there was more to the proud leader than she knew, or he cared to tell. She was really quite curious about this man. After all he had recruited her when she didn't really beg for things to happen. Daniel had told her that it wasn't his place to tell her all about Jack's past and that he would tell her when he was ready to. So she waited, and waited, patiently. But she soon got extremely tired of waiting. She used her clearance to check up on his files. Sure he turned out to be the legendary soldier but there was something missing between them. They were colleagues and soldiers in the field but she did not consider him a close friend. And she knew that she would not be unless the barrier between them was removed and once they truly opened up to one another.

Chris was kept busy at all times but she liked that. She liked being occupied and not having to think about things she didn't want to, like emotions. But above all she was happy when she was occupied. She felt irritated that she couldn't get a hold of Stargazer but she would track him down eventually. That's what she was good at doing.

****

"The mission is very routine by the looks of it. Climate, air pressure etc seems to support human life but we never picked up any radio traffic. We're guessing that there is some form of life on that planet but there's no radio active substances or any signs of militant threats."

Jack carefully examined his Major again. God she was something else. Mostly a 2IC he silently reminded himself. He had to keep pushing all the unprofessional thoughts form his mind. It was strange if he liked her then why was he having such an hard time accepting her on the team. He had to admit he was the one to give her the position but he still felt awkward about it.

She was presenting all the information from the MALP sent back. Although she was a MD and a forensic pathologist, she seemed to know a great deal about Physics as well. Everyday she amazed him with her capabilities. He hadn't really become best fiends with her. It felt like betraying Carter but he just hoped that Chris didn't get the wrong impression of him, because he appreciated her in his little way.

He glanced at the rest f his team and his CO. General Hammond was clearly impressed by her knowledge and her resume. Daniel had been warm and friendly like he was to most people and Jack was glad that Daniel and Chris had bonded well. Two scientists working together that's what he needed. Teal'c, on the other hand only showed appreciation in his silence but Chris seemed to have got used to it and they had a quite rapport going on. SO all in one the team was complete now, he just hadn't told anyone that. After the whole incident with Captain Eric Taylor he tried to keep a low profile on how he felt about subordinates. It was better that way, certainly safer

"Colonel, anything to add?"

The General asked, pulling Jack out of his pool of thoughts.

"No, that was fine Major. Good work."

Jack ruffled his hair and gave a satisfying grin to the Major who said thank you silently, by nodding her head and through her firmly closed lips.

"In that case you have a go. Be ready to ship out at 1300 hours. Dismissed."

Daniel and Teal'c left the room early giving the excuse that they wanted to get on with some translation before heading out. The mission was another 2 hours away because of the critical work being done on the iris. the light was turned off in the meeting room and Jack headed towards the officers club to check out the latest grapevine stories and Chris to her lab.

It was exactly 1300 hours when the Stargate was dialled the wormhole engaged and SG-1 was ready to go. General Hammond gave his go ahead and as always Jack took point, then came Daniel, then Chris and of course Teal'c to watch their back.

It was 1800 hours when the klaxon blared and General Hammond found himself in the control room, questioning the technician on duty.

"Who's coming in? Nobody is due in for the next 9 hours. "

"It's SG-1 sir."

"They're not due back until another 2 days."

At that precise moment Jack O'Neill appeared from the event horizon carrying someone in his arms. Teal'c and Jackson appeared so I had to the Major who was injured.

"We need a medic down here now!"

Jack screamed from the top of his lungs..

Janet came running as per usual, she just hated when SG-1 came back with a wounded, any other team for that matter but SG-1 was her special team.

"What happened Colonel?"

The General Hammond barked as the medics stretched the major onto a gurney.

"We were ambushed sir."

Jack answered pressing his temples with his blood stained fingers.

"Sir I need to be there. I need to see her. Couldn't this wait?"

Jack was distracted and General Hammond knew that he wasn't going to get anything out of the Colonel in his condition.

"Go get checked out Colonel. Stay with her if that's what you want but after wards I want a full account of what happened."

"Yes, Sir."

Jack saluted briefly and ran through the corridors, knocking down at last 3 officers and 4 technicians on the way. In the end he had to wait, the OR was off limits and for Jack O'Neill the 30 minutes felt like eternity.

"What; going on Doc? How is she doing?"

Jack asked anxiously as Janet came out of the OR.

"The operation was a success, but she's in a coma. We don't know if she's gonna wake up. She's pretty week now."

Jack's heart sank. His stomach churned and he felt tears welling in his eyes.

"What happened out there?"

Janet asked, trying to get Jack to talk but instead, jack directed another question to her.

"Can I see her? I promise I won't stay for long."

"Sure, right this way."

Jack followed Janet and looked around. Daniel, and Teal'c was there too. He had not noticed them in his occupied mind. Then he saw her. Looking pale in a hospital gown. Looking so small in there hospital bed. He went closer until he could hear her breath gently and rhythmically, the blips from the monitor never assured him. He had to check for himself. He looked at her again. Not a single scrape or cut on her face and she looked so peaceful as if she was sleeping. He felt useless and he hated that feeling. So he ran, ran as fast as he could away from the infirmary as for the woman they had under her care. He couldn't bare to see any of it.

"What was that?"

Janet questioned Daniel; curious to why the Colonel was acting strangely.

"I'll go talk to him."

Daniel said. Leaving the infirmary.

2have you seen Colonel O'Neill?"

Daniel asked the PFC who was on sentry duty.

"Yes sir. He left the base a couple of minutes ago. I noticed that he was in a awful hurry."

"Oh no,"

Daniel muttered to himself.

"Please don't do anything stupid jack."

What the sentry did not notice was a deep colour of red smearing on Jack's jacket.

Jack did not come into the base for the next three days. Daniel left countless messages on his answering machine but did not get any in return. He knocked at Jack's door as well, but all he could hear was the loud sound of television and occasional shouts telling him to 'get lost'.

It was the fourth day and Jack felt like shit. He hated not going to work and he hated not seeing his friends but he didn't want to face anybody about what happened on the planet. Not only that his wound hurt like hell. It had grazed him on the side and the wound was more serious than he had expected, but he's be damned if he would let some bullets fired by aliens get to him. SO he stayed, locked up in his little world, literally licking his wound, well maybe not licking but applying his emergency store of the first aid kit he had in the house. He had taken care of it well but didn't have any strong painkillers in the house besides aspirin. But it didn't matter because he was drunk half the times. This fantasy came to an end finally when someone blew off the lock with a gun. Jack knew what happened and he was mad like hell.

"Who the hell do you think you are Daniel? You little piece of..."

Jack slammed the door open and shouted, only to see Chris standing there with her airforce issue berretta in her hand.

"Chris you're okay?"

"I didn't think you cared."

Chris replied rather coldly and Jack was hurt. He expected the reaction but he was still hurt by it.

"I did care."

Jack muttered quietly under his breath.

"Then why didn't you come and see me?"

Jack good not answers to her authoritative tome and he wanted to hide in a mouse hole somewhere.

"I was scared, incase everyone hated me. It was my fault that you got injured. If I had paying more attention to scouting ahead and not so worked up about the medical bag being left behind, then maybe this whole thing wouldn't have happened. If I were nicer to you then maybe you wouldn't have had to feel that you had to take a walk away from all of us. If I had been more understanding and all the pressure I put you under then maybe you would have confronted me and not have to think alone. "

Jack couldn't believe he had just said those words. He had blocked them up even to himself and there he was telling her about his feeling in his on porch, for crying out loud.

" Go on."

She demanded more and Jack found himself ramble on.

"I was also scared that you were mad at me. That if you did wake up then you would hat me for not protecting you. Then team for that matter."

He stopped there wasn't anything else. He looked at her and met her eyes. Her icy grey eyes were gone and they looked warm and emotional. It was a good sign. And right there and then she hugged him She held him tight and whispered words into his ears.

"No one hates you, it was an accident. There was nothing you could do to prevent the bullet being fired. I know you were there to help me in anyway but that's the definition of accidents. There was nothing you could do. How could I possibly be mad at you? The two bullets almost killed me but at least you tried to cover for me. "

Jack flinched, She didn't know about the third bullet that had her name on it. But then he thought that it'd be better if she didn't know about it.

"I'll be careful next time"

Jack whispered back. He couldn't really remember when she had went inside of his house had led him to his bedroom. She could obviously smell the strong alcohol and decided that it was time for him to lie down. It was rather peculiar as to how she knew where the bedroom was but Carter had said it before, 'women's instinct.'

Being gently lowered on to the bed his eyelids got heavy. He hadn't been able to sleep so well in the past four days but now that he saw her things were better. He fell into sweet slumber so surprised at his own reaction. He had known her for three months and there he was attached to her, caring deeply for her. Then and there Jack knew tat she was special and that he would protect her. Opening up to her might not be too hard after all. He had found another extraordinary woman to befriend. It was just the beginning, and he could feel it deep in his soul.

Chris walked into Jack's living room assured that he was sound asleep. It was not the most pretty of scenes to be looking at. Beer bottles strewn on the floor, books lying everywhere mostly about stars and training manuals, pizza packages, packets of aspirins and dirty washings. How very typical she thought until she decided to do some house chores for the tired Colonel. She was well trained. First the trash then the book had to go into the shelves and the washings after that. It was when she was putting the dirty laundry into the washing machine when she saw the blood stained towels. She checked the cloth to make sure it wasn't some barbecue sauce wiped on to the towel and scanned the whole living room area. Like she did when she as in a crime scene. There was a first aid box and some scissors lying

She had a sudden flash back.

****

Bang! Bang!

She heard the first shot fire and hit her on her chest. and then the second Whilst falling to the ground and embraced by the Colonel she had heard the second shot.

Bang!

She had forgotten that the second projectile aimed towards her had not even scathed her when technically it should have been her deathblow. She then heard 3 more shots. The Colonel's aim spot on and the offender falling to the ground before she lost consciousness and succumbed to pain.

****

Realisation hit her, the Colonel and his blood stained Towels, the shirts they were all beginning to make sense. The man she thought him to be was not all he appeared to be. he had taken the second shot for her, in her place.

After the horrible attack on SG-1 the General decided to throw a little party for the teams. After all the good workers needed some serious cheering up. SG-1 had not been the only team to have some tough encounters in the recent days. It was a bar and they had overtaken the place. Everyone decided to relieve their stress by dancing, singing and drinking. The bar was loud, the marines having a bash at the karaoke machine really did not help.

Colonel Jack O'Neill had his beer in one hand was talking to Daniel, his team member and friend. They had some serious catching up to do since the whole ordeal. They were interrupted from their conversation when two beautiful ladies approached them. They both gulped. Standing tall were the two majors. Samantha Carter of SG-6 and Christine Benton of SG-1. Jack was astonished as how beautiful the two women looked. He had seen Carter many times in Civvies but she was a knock out in her little blue dress. Daniel drank from Carter's appearance. He and Carter had been going out for quite some time now, in secret of course. They were afraid that the base grapevine would spread nasty rumours. He never seemed to get used to Sam's beauty. When Jack noticed Chris and his mouth dropped open. The military woman in BDUs, the woman Doctor in her formal suit was gone. Instead there was a sexy young woman in a leather skirt and a halter neck, dressed in back only. She had recovered well. Nope there was none of that woman in a hospital gown either. Nor sir-ee. Her matching leather boots were making her legs look even more alluring and her light make up made her look like she was still in her twenties. The two ladies sat down at the table and the two gentlemen as they were offered them drinks.

"I'll have a beer thanks."

Carter said, sitting awfully close to the young archaeologist.

"How about you? Major?"

Jack asked his second in command, thinking that she wasn't much of a drinker. He was wrong.

"I'll have a martini straight up."

Jack arched his eyebrows, surprised.

"I was in Special Forces Sir, I can handle a few drinks. Don't worry. I won't make you carry me home."

Jack smirked and ordered. He had never seen this side of his major before. He had always thought that she was a sensible non-drinker who would help the guys home when they were drunk. Over the weeks he had observed her. She was most definitely a good soldier. Much like Carter they had developed the senses. He read her mind rather easily and she read his, in missions only. They hadn't been together very much for social gatherings. He was getting attached to yet another person. And the night she came to his house had brought some other implications. They didn't talk about it much and just carried on. There had been one mission since her injury but she seemed perfectly fine. He wanted to have the Carter O'Neill relationship but wasn't sure if she'd want that. She smiled at his jokes like Carter had but her eyes didn't. It was as if she had some dark past that kept her from moving on. Ferretti, the leader of SG-2, interrupted Jack's train of thoughts. Jack had noticed that his friend had a thing for Chris and that somehow made in more alert.

"You know, its' tradition that a new member should give us a solo."

Ferretti teased and Chris giggled.

"I don't think so. Bet you're just trying to scare me."

"On the contrary, it's true. I think you should do it."

"No sir, I can't "

"Can't? You don't want me to order you to do it do you?"

Jack was joking around and she was finding it funny. She had never seem him so relaxed. and the drink definitely cheered her up that night, making her appreciate the Jack O'Neill humour. Chris was still taking it like a joke but she blushed furiously when the DJ introduced the next soloist singer.

"Uh, this is for Major Benton. The brand new 2IC of SG-1. This is your song. And PS, this is a direct order from General Hammond. He wants to be assured that you've recovered."

Everyone cheered and Jack smiled at her, showing his teeth.

"Told ya."

Chris was really quite embarrassed. How worse can it get she thought when the tune came on. Then along with the adrenaline rush she started to remember about her wild nights. A night out with a couple of marines would definitely teach them. She knew she couldn't have a better opportunity. This is it she thought. 'I'm going to let Cheynne know that I'm here. My big hello, to the people that I haven't met yet. Chris is back.' Chris took the microphone in to her hand. She swirled it like she did with her revolver. The old pro. The crowd went wild.

"Go Chris."

Sam screamed encouragingly and the spotlight caught Chris. All the male members were drooling at the sight. Including Jack O'Neill.

I knew a few guys who thought they were pretty smart

But you've got being right down to an art.

You think you are a genius you drive me up the wall

You're a regular original a know it all Oh ooh oh you think you're special

Oh ooh oh you think you're something else,

She slowly walked towards the tables. She had everyone's attention and she loved it. She smiled devilishly when she saw her target, someone that she could play with. None other than Daniel Jackson.

Okay so you're a rocket scientist that don't impress me much

So you got the brains but have you got the touch

She touched him. She stroked his chest as she sang. Daniel gulped and blushed as she touched him. He couldn't keep a straight face and all the other male members were getting slightly jealous over the attention she gave to Daniel. Sam smiled devilish at her lover's reaction. It was going to be a real laugh later when she could bitch about Daniel enjoying it too much, she could already see Daniel begging on the floor to forgive him. But in all honesty Sam didn't mind, she knew that Daniel was not Chris' type, which was more of a tough soldier.

Don't get me wrong, yeah; I think you're alright

That won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

That don't impress me much

Daniel hour of glory was soon over and Chris started to search for her next target. Little search and destroy. She loved that kinda thing.

I never knew a guy who carried a mirror in his pocket.

And a comb up his sleeve just in case

And all that extra gel in your hair oughtta lock it

'Cause heaven forbids it should fall outta place.

Now she was feeling tipsy thanks to the martini and the adrenaline. She was putting Makepeace under the same kind of torture as she had done to Daniel. The marine was extremely appreciative.

Okay so you're Brad Pitt

That don't impress me much.

Don't get me wrong, yeah; I think you're alright

That won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

That don't impress me much.

She was walking around so fast that Jack was so sure that she would fall. He was grinning from ear to ear at discovering yet another talent of his 2IC. But his grin was suddenly wiped off as she made eye contact with his. He gulped like he had done when she came into the bar. She danced to the music, shaking and teasing, flexing and putting the guys through hell.

You're one of those guys who likes to shine his machine

You make me take off my shoes

Before you let me get

I can't believe you kiss your car goodnight

C'mon baby tell me

You must be joking right.

She teased the men as she walked and closer and closer she came, Jack' heart skipped a beat.

Okay so you got a car

That don't impress me much

She finally reached her intended destination. She swung her leg onto the table and Jack watched nervously. Sam was giggling hysterically at her ex CO's reaction and thought back to the little parties that they used to have in the Academy. Chris really did like wild parties. This was the Chris she remembered not the calm, collected medical examiner who looked forty.

So you got the moves but have you got the touch

Don't get me wrong yeah, I think you're alright

But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

That don't impress me much

She decided enough teasing, time for some real fun and started to touch him, stroking his chest, his face and holding his head close to her chest she decided to go to her extreme.

You think you're cool but have you got the touch

She sat on Jack's lap at first, touching his face and turning it towards him. Soon she got tired of that position too. She stood up leaving Jack bereft with a warm body but Jack soon lost the sensation as Chris swung her leg over and straddled her CO. Jack was nervous as hell. the entire SG teams were watching there she was straddling him. But he had to admit it was fun and it took a lot of guts. Or one to many screwdrivers.

Don't get me wrong yeah, I think you're alright

But that won't keep me warm in the long cold lonely night

tat don't impress me much

Okay

SO do you think you're Elvis or something

Whatever

That don't impress me much.

Her last line was said as she leaned back, away from Jack's face but her torso extremely close and her legs still straddling. The bar was filled with wolf whistle and applauds. Well she had made a fine impression. Chris was slightly out of breath but had enjoyed her performance. She looked at her CO.

"Uh Colonel."

She started.

"I swear that is my side arm."

Jack chucked, slightly flushed at his own reaction he knew that he had used that excuse before and her knew it sounded lame..

"So much for Special Forces Training. You wouldn't have lasted a day in our unit."

She got off him and Jack was reluctant to let her go. She sat back and calmed her breath at little bit. Sam was giving Chris a cryptic smile and Daniel just stared at Jack for a while.

The bar was got loud again and everyone resumed his or her conversations, singing and dancing. They acted like normal people for a change and the atmosphere of the bar was light and delightful.

Chris and everyone else began talking about music or something rather but Jack wasn't interested. he was too busy re examining his 2IC. He had accepted her on the team and that was all he could do at the point. Ever since he went on that chat line he had fond courage to deal with the change and now everyone was happy. He was personally more than impressed with Chris's background and history. He didn't admit it but she had better qualifications than Carter. he knew that Chris could never replace Carter but maybe just maybe she could bring some more of that Carter goodness into the band. She was much like Carter in some ways but completely different in others. For example Carter would never do what she had done on the dance floor when Chris could. Chris would be a less noticeable in as a brunette while you could spot Carter's blond feminine hair from a million miles away. He wanted to get to know Chris better. There were things in her files that didn't add up. A big chunk of he life missing. Sadness he could detect.

"Would you like to dance Sam?"

Daniel asked and Sam took his hand willingly.

"Of course, Daniel"

Jack and Chris sat together alone. Chris stared at them both.

"They look good together."

She quietly commented,

"Yeah, they do. It took them for ever to actually get together but I guess it was for the best."

"If I didn't know better I would say that you were in love with her."

"Me and Carter, please."

Jack said in disbelief.

"Why what's funny?"

"We're very different people, with different priorities. You see I'm more of a family guy. I not a careers guy anymore."

"Really? Most of the guys I know from Special Forces didn't like the idea of a family. Since you were single I just assumed that you stayed single 'cos you didn't want any ties. I didn't know that you into families."

Jack smiled bitterly. He knew that this was probably one of the hardest stages of getting to know someone, telling them about yourself. There was uncomfortable silence between them and Chris decided that see had enough of it.

"How's your wound?"

"It's fine."

Jack answered but then he realised what she had just questioned him about.

"How did you know?"

"The blood stained shirt and towels were clue enough. Along with the bandages and antibiotics that were lying in your bathroom."

She said softly and Jack suddenly felt uncomfortable.

"Why didn't you tell anyone? That projectile made a horrific wound on your side."

"You've seen it?"

"Yes, but you'd done a good job of it so I left it as it was."

There was silence again, and it lasted for a long long time.

"You took that third bullet for me. That was my deathblow and you took it for me. "

"It was nothing only a scratch."

Jack said a little embarrassed and surprised at how observant she was.

"Never do something like that again."

There was such coldness in her voice Jack almost shuddered.

"What?"

"How do you think I would have felt if you dies or got more seriously injures. your death would be on me. I don't; wanna live the rest of my life with that.."

"I had no choice. You were my junior officer and I wanted to protect you."

"Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for what you did but I don't want your blood on my hands. Personally I didn't think that you were the kind of person who would jump a bullet. Not that crazy anyway. "

"There are a lot of things that you don't know about me, Major."

The words were profound in its meanings and Chris knew it. She knew that she had prickled one of Jack O'Neill's sensitive spots. She regretted it. She didn't mean to make him uncomfortable. There was silence. Uncomfortable silence there seemed to be a lot of that going around between them. Jack cleared his throat and began.

"Would you like to dance?"

She was surprised. But she was happy to. Jack O'Neill was looking rather delicious with a pair of black pants and a dark red shirt.

"Sure."

He held her hand and with her on tow, he headed towards the dance floor.

Daniel saw the two couple walking on to the dance floor and decided it times for some fun. The fast music ended and a slow bald came on along with the DJ's introduction. Everyone turned their heads as the tune they were dancing to ended abruptly.

"Ladies and Gentle, please clear the dance floor for Colonel O'Neill's and his second in command, Major Benton. This is a song for the new friends. And was requested by a personnel who goes nameless and does not want to lose a limb."

Everyone chucked at that and Chris blushed furiously.

"Daniel."

They both said simultaneously. Soon the dance floor was cleared, except for the couple of SG-1 and they were under the spotlight.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time

Steals across the meadows of my heart

High up in the sky the little stars climb

Always reminding me that we're apart

You wonder down the lane and far away

Leaving me a song that will not die

Love is now the stardust of yesterday

The music of the years gone by

Chris had not heard this song for a very long time. Thought it was one of her favourite love songs it hurt too much when she was listening to it alone. Without thinking she rested her head on Jack's chest and gave into the nostalgia.

Sometimes I wonder

How I spend the lonely night

Dreaming of a song

The melody hearts my reverie

And I am once again renewed

When are love was new

And each kiss an inspiration

But that was long ago

Now my consolation

Is in the stardust of a song

A restaurant, an elegant one, where only quite conversations wineglasses and the clash of cutlery were heard. She was dancing with a man, who had the kindest smile. She was happy there. Then all of a sudden she was dragged away and found herself in reality. Tears on her eyes, but she refused to let them drop. She was hurting inside and there was nobody to talk to. It hurt so much.

Beside the garden wall

When the stars are bright

You are in my arms

The nightingale

Tells his fairytale

A paradise where roses grew

Though I in dream in vain

In my heart it will remain

My stardust melody

The memory of love refrain

The song ended and Jack looked at the woman he was now holding. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever met. He never thought of her that way in the past two weeks but he reached his own conclusions soon enough. Her grey eyes were full of depth and her scent was intoxicating. Jack realised that the song has finished but they were standing very close. He had to let her go at some point and he did so reluctantly.

A few drinks too many caused both of them to leave their cars at the bar. Instead Sam paid the taxi driver and instructed them to drop each of them off at different locations. However the story was different when they got off at the same place. Chris's new apartment. They were both drunk but not so much that they would do things that they would regret. When she unlocked the door to her apartment she couldn't exactly remember if she had invited Jack in the first place.

"Nice place you've got."

Jack commented looking around.

"Why don't you have a seat and I'm going to get changed into something more comfortable."

Jack sat down.. Looking around again he could not see any photographs, just stylish painting, vases and expensive looking rugs. The living room gave off a feminine and warm atmosphere making him feel all the more comfortable and relaxed. The lamp in the corner provided a dim light source that made the entire room glow.

"Hey, would you like a coffee Sir?"

Chris asked as she walked out of her bedroom.

"Sure and uh one more thing."

"What is it sir?"

She asked, amazed that she could answer anything sensibly.

"It's Jack."

"Chris."

Jack looked at her again. In her jeans and a big woolly jumper. She flashed him a smile and it almost blinded him. He wondered why he didn't notice it before. Chris came back, almost immediately from the kitchen.

"Make yourself comfortable."

She said, smiling at him still. He had thought that he was comfortable but then he realised that this particular woman knew what she was talking about. Making a guy comfortable. Without a word, he took off his shoes, belt and undid the buttons on his shirt, half way.

"You sure know how to make a guy comfortable."

"No,"

She shook her head.

"I know how to make soldiers comfortable."

They both chuckled at that.

"Living with the guys all my life, I became like one."

She said jokingly but Jack could hear the true meaning behind it all.

"Well, you certainly look like one."

He gestured.

"Why thank you for the compliment."

"Why didn't I notice you before? I mean why didn't we become friends when we had so much n common? How come I treated you like dirt?"

Jack asked once they were both settled and Chris chuckled at the casual manner of his words.

"You were dealing with Carter's loss, I didn't want to interfere. I was shed by her light."

She gave out a sigh.

"What do you mean, shed by her light?"

"You know fine well."

She said a little more harshly than she had intended and realised that she was talking to her CO. She firmly closed her mouth and refused to say another word.

"Please, talk to me. I want to know you; I want you to be my friend as well as my junior officer.

"I'm not sure if I can do this sir. I mean, sometimes I feel so left out it's like I'm not there."

"What do you mean?"

The Colonel asked his 2IC cautiously not wanting top ht a nerve and starting another argument.

"I mean, I get compared to Sam Carter everyday that I don't get a chance to be me. Yeah, I'm grateful that Sam offered me this job but sometimes I almost wish she hadn't."

"Why?"

Jack asked, curious to his 2IC's emotions.

"I feel like I can never live up to your expectations. How many times have you called me Carter by accident? Huh, I mean sometimes you guys talk about the old SG-1 and there's not that much I know about it. Is she really better than me is that it? Is that why I get compared to Carter all day long?"

Jack had no idea that Chris felt that way. He had always thought that Chris was happy in SG-1 and that she and Carter were getting along fine.

"You shouldn't feel that way. You are not Sam Carter and no one is expecting you to be. For one I like you for who you are. I know I don't say that so often but I do mean it when I say it. I'm glad that it's you and not some wimp on my team. You settled in better than anyone could hope for and I'm so thankful for tat. Don't ever think that you are compared to Carter all the time. Yeah sure she's real smart and she contributed to a lot in the project but you're not her. You're a whole different person. You're a Special Forces agent instead of a F-17 pilot who fought in the gulf war."

"I did that too."

She added in and Jack had to chuckle.

"See? To be perfectly honest I think you contribute just as much since you joined the SGC but in different departments. I mean what does Carter know about Forensic Science."

"Yeah, but it doesn't stop people from thinking that way. They all think tat she is so much better than me when we're in completely different fields and expertise. I don't think anybody knows my name, when Carter's name is called out and praised everyday that I'm on base."

She felt stupid complaining; she thought that she was being jealous.

" Oh, you are so wrong in thinking that. Everyone is so jealous of you. There were hell of a lot of candidates for SG-1 but I chose you. Because I saw something in you that I couldn't see in anyone else. I could tell that you were special. It was a gut feeling."

"Thank you that means a lot to me."

"No one is telling you to be Sam Carter, yeah she's a damn good soldier and a scientist but she looks up to you. She told me one time about you. I didn't remember you're name, I'm not sure if she told me you're name but she said that she had a role model. Somebody she looked up to when she was in the academy. Someone who had inspired her to be all that she could be. That person was you. I know Carter and I know how much you mean to her. Don't let h He smiled at her again. and she felt strangely at home and comforted by his smile. She leaned against home. In the unexpected embrace Jack felt comfortable.

"There was a guy."

Jack almost missed the short excerpt, as her voice was so quite and so low.

"What?"

"That's why I resigned my commission. Because of a guy."

Jack looked at her in surprise. He hadn't thought of that possibility.

"He died in a bombing and the military was trying to cover it up. I kept digging and I got threats, from everywhere."

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

"We never found the body and I believed that he was murdered. I started to digging deeper, got into private files and things got messy. They either wanted me to forget about what happened or they wanted my resignation. It was right after Tailhook incident and they didn't want any trouble."

"What did you do?"

"I first got off my team and tried to move on with my life but I just couldn't."

Her eyes were welled with tears and she was reaching out to Jack's heart. He barely knew the woman in person but there was something oddly familiar about her words.

"I guess I had this sense of revenge. I wanted to find the bastards who did what they did to my lover and I couldn't get my emotions out of the way."

"So what made you quit?, In the end I mean?"

"The memory of him in the military. Jack you have to understand that the United Sates Military is one of the most professional and dangerous organisations there are in this world. I knew I couldn't do it alone, so I hired people. They turned up with zip, absolutely nothing. I knew though, that his death was staged. It didn't seem right that I pursue my career, where my lover lost his life. A life that was irreplaceable. So in the memory of him I quit. I got into civilian jobs where I met ordinary people and lived an ordinary life."

"So it was the memory of him that haunted you."

Jack silently pushed.

"Not just that actually. I hated being a part of the military. You know, I felt that it was actually a dishonour to serve something that I didn't believe in."

Jack smiled bitterly, he knew what she meant. There were times for him too, where he had felt that there was no moral or ethic in the military.

"I know what you mean."

Jack thought out loud. Then the curiosity got the better of him.

"What made you come back?"

She smiled shyly.

"There was a friend. I haven't known him for very long but he gave me a good advise. he told me that what was done was done and that we couldn't get back to it and do it again. He also told me that there are those in the military who do care about honour and not all about ass kissing politics. He said that I should learn from my bad experiences and make sure that doesn't happen to those that I care about."

"That' pretty good advise. So it was him who made you come back to the Airforce?"

"Yes, it was him and my dream."

She smiled, wiping away the tears. And the rest of the night was spent on talking, comforting each another and snuggling up close. Jack talked to her about Charlie. He had felt a deep surge of affection for the woman before him and felt that since she had allowed herself to be vulnerable in front of him the least he could do was return the favour. But more, he wanted to talk to her, needed to talk to her. He felt a strange kind of recognition and felt safe when in her embrace. Forgetting that they were in a Co to 2IC position they totally lost each another. They were too exhausted to make it anything intimate but the small kisses on the cheeks and the tight hugs were comfort enough. They felt at ease, that there was nothing to hide anymore. And they both felt good about it. Now they were friends. Real friends.

****

Chris woke up around 11 in the morning. She found herself in her bed, still fully dressed. She remembered the conversations she had with her CO and smiled. She couldn't help herself. The tough Colonel had told her about his past and she about hers. Strangely she felt free and at ease. She just hoped that that grin on her face didn't look as stupid as it felt. She had opened up to someone besides a chat room personnel and she was proud of herself. She just hoped that the Colonel wasn't embarrassed of what happened. Getting into a robe and after grabbing a cup of coffee, she felt a little more human. Although she didn't have that many drinks it was enough to give her on heck of a hang over. It had been awhile since her last one. She groaned under her breath and switched on her laptop. Trying to get some paper work done, it was the only thing that could stop her grinning ear to ear with a headache.

Stargazer: It's been awhile.

Doc: Sorry the new job kept me busy.

Stargazer: Sorry to hear that. IS it a good job?

Doc: It's the best. I only dreamed about it but thanks to you I am now who I want to be.

Stargazer: Me? What did I do?

Doc: You gave me advice and that advice gave me the courage to be myself.

Stargazer: Meaning you're military now?

Doc: yes.

Stargazer: I want to thank you too. For the advice you gave me. I dealt with my loss now and I've found new a friend, who I can open up too.

Doc: Well, I have to get to work now but I'll be on line soon. See you.

Stargazer: See you later.

****

"Connection terminated."

Jack shut the system and looked at his watch. He had to get going too. General Hammond would go ballistic if he was late for a briefing. He and SG-1 was scheduled to go to some planet with lots of trees, yet again trees.

As he grabbed his car keys and his leather jacket he remembered the night of the party. He had not called her not in two days. Part of him wanted to run to her but a part of him was scared in case he had screwed things up by getting too close. He had heard all her secrets and she head heard of his. He was slightly embarrassed but reasoned with himself that he could deal with things. Sighing he entered the expressway that led to Cheynne Mountain.

" So how was you're down time?"

Jack asked his Major who was standing there gathering her papers.

"It was okay, but I spent most of my time catching up on some reading and doing house cleaning."

"Well, it's not the most exciting thing to do but I guess it's better than staying cooped up in the base."

Jack smirked shoving his hands in his pocket, as he felt awkward doing nothing with them. Just ten he noticed a look of guilt in her eyes.

"You didn't? Did you? Do I have to order you to get a life Benton?"

She just blushed and Jack liked that. He liked making women blush and smile. Awwwu.

"I had to come into collect a couple of things, but I promise I didn't do any serious work."

"Good, here I was. Thinking that you were a fun loving dancer."

She blushed again.

"Listen all I wanna say is that I really appreciate you hearing me out like that the other night. I needed it and I'm glad that I got to know you better."

"Me hearing you out? I'm just glad that you were there to lend a shoulder to cry on. Thank you."

They looked at one another and realised that there were less than half a meter apart. he couldn't resist but to hug her. It was the only way he really knew how to say thank you, well that and couple of tons of chocolates but that's another story. They stood like that for sometime. Just taking comfort in each another's presence, forgetting that they were standing in a room where all three sides were constructed of glass. They only came apart when they heard SG-2 coming in.

"Well let's get moving."

, said Jack; trying get his command one out before the rest of SG-2 noticed something.

As Jack passed Ferretti he heard a little whisper,

"Way to go Jack, you still have it."

Jack was indeed annoyed but there was not much he could say to defend himself.

One thing was for sure, with the help of his new 2IC and the mysterious 'Doc' he felt good enough to embrace the future.

FEEDBACK!!

Please I need them desperately!! I've got the next follow on fanfic all ready to be posted. I need feedback before I send it. A little vote of confidence to be exact. Even if it's flames I don't mind. I just need assurances that someone is reading this and I'm not writing this for nothing.. Don't forget this is this first fanfic I've posted anywhere.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Angelheart