Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Wings of Peace

by Angelheart
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Wings of Peace

by Angelheart

TITLE: Wings of Peace
Author: Angelheart
Email: angelheartsgc@hotmail.com
Category: Hurt/Comfort, Action/Adventure
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Season: any
Rating: G
Content Warnings: minor character death
Status: Completed
Summary: : Let's say a prayer for peace and understanding. Lift up our hearts and join us in our prayer. Let's hope that soon the wings of peace will fly across the land, let us hope for peace and freedom everywhere.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of ShowTime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gecko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary: the settings and original characters are fictitious and not intended to represent specific places or living persons. Not to be archived without permission of the author. The lyrics of songs by Jon Raybould was used without the permission of the artist. No copy right infringement is intended.. Please don't sue me for using this song. I'm poor. I'm only writing, with the song as an inspiration.
Author's notes: A choir performed the song, Wings of Peace. At the same time I was playing in the orchestra, trying desperately to hold back my tears. The song touched me somehow. I would be more than pleased if this story reminded you just how important peace is. And also those less fortunate than us.

Every inch of her screamed for attention as she dragged her tired, rundown body into the elevator that would take her up to sub level 23. Her lab. Hopefully, there she would be able to find some peace and quiet after a particularly gruelling reconnaissance mission to P2C-736. The elevator was not at all crowded and she thanked God for it. The two other personnel present were Captain Connor or SG 11 and Lieutenant Johnson of SG-3. They all knew each another and Sam had shown just that by nodding her head when her eyes met theirs. She was too tied to do anything else. Her mind threatened to shut down completely due to the terrible condition of her body but she managed to satisfy it by letting her mind wonder, somewhere far less complicated that the fields of quantum physics. However she could not help but eavesdrop on the conversation of the others when she heard a familiar name.

"I'm sorry to butt into your conversations but what did you just say about Major Ferretti?"

The two looked confused but none the less complied with her questions. After all when a superior asks a question it's your duty to answer to the best of your ability, no matter how abrupt the question is.

"Um. I said how the we'd all miss him."

"From the SGC?"

Carter's gut tightened and she hoped against hope that her worst fears would not come true.

"Haven't you heard major? He was killed in action two days ago. The news came in today."

Her facial expression was that of shock and both the other officers began to see the full picture.

"But you didn't know that did you? You were away on a mission."

At the exact moment a chime was heard indicating that they now on level 23. With even as a glance or a word to Connor or Johnson Carter took off. Walking briskly towards her confines, leaving the two remaining officers utterly confused.

***********************************************************************************

Pushing through a crowd of relentless nurses and doctors, Colonel Jack O'Neill escaped from the infirmary. He had to find Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, the General! Anybody! Somebody who could tell him that what he had overheard from the gossiping nurses was not true but a simple misunderstanding. He ran as fast as he could towards General Hammond's office, whom he trusted would have the most accurate perspective on the whole situation. Like all his team was feeling, he was tired as hell. There was noting he wanted more than a warm, soft bed, food, maybe a bottle or two of beer. Not necessarily in that order. On desperate mission to reach the General's office, he ran over two airmen, three officers and a geeky scientist who was carrying a pile of paper work at the time. He didn't care, what he ran over. The point was, what he would find out was much more important. Fortunately no other personnel of the SGC was harmed further as General Hammond met Jack, midway.

"Sir, is it true?"

He looked wild and he knew it. He was still wet and dirty from the mission and his hair, well it was everywhere. What the General noticed the most was his eyes, the eyes of a man, lost, wondering. The eyes of man who just discovered that he had lost a comrade in arms.

"I'm afraid so, son. I'm sorry."

"What in God's name happened?"

"He was killed in a fire fight, trying to recover a body."

***********************************************************************************

Sam Carter sat silent in her office, just contemplating about what she had just heard. It was impossible. She had seen him all but 5 days ago. Before he shipped out to the Gulf. He said his 'see you laters' to SG-1 in the gateroom, telling them that he would be back in a few months. Joking as always about staying out of trouble. He had volunteered to go to the Middle East so that he could command a special forces division. He said he wanted to do something in America's war against terror. How could life be so cruel? Louis Ferretti, a man who survived various suicide missions in various corners of the galaxy had been killed on earth, of all places. By another human being whom he had bled to protect from existing dangers of the universe. The irony was enough to make her feel sick. She just hoped that one day, everyone, every single human being on this miserable planet could join hands to fight against a mighty foe that would not be so easily defeated.

***********************************************************************************

He had once regretted joining a military programme when he met people like Jack O'Neill and Charlie Kwalski. But later, to his surprise, he figured that those kind of people offered a challenge. An interesting twist in a place of strict regulations and protocols. They would call him a geek and exclude him from their circle with the reason that he was a scientist. But later they had understood and recognised him as a team player. Major Louis Ferretti was no exception. No matter how tough the situation Ferretti was the kind of guy who would stick by you and refuse to give up. It was his comradeship that made Louis a truly valuable friend. Losing him would mean disaster to a lot of people.

***********************************************************************************

Teal'c admitted that he never really knew Major Ferretti. However he was aware of the strong relationship present between the Major and his team members. He himself had failed to recognise any worthiness in the reckless Major at first but during his time in the SGC he discovered that due to individuals such as Louis Ferretti the SGC was able to uphold the highest of morals and spirit. Major Ferretti had proven himself to be a warrior of great courage, a man of loyalty and undoubtedly a superb friend in order to gain trust of Colonel O'Neill. It would be a loss. A loss that would be felt by all. But Teal'c knew. Life had to go on.

***********************************************************************************

The funeral was held three days after his body was transported from the Gulf, from the battleship USS Enterprise. It was a gloomy day for all and even the weather seemed to agree. The pouring rain could be heard from inside the church as the ceremony began.

"We are gathered here today, to remember a fallen comrade, whose deeds will be forever remembered by those here and the people of this great nation."

The words fell heavily on everyone shoulders as the Chaplain spoke to bid Louis Ferretti a final farewell. Many officers and servicemen could be seen, not all of them airforce. Some were not from Earth. People like Skarra was present to show his last respects to a man who freed his people. Many more were present from off world, just to say thanks to the major. As Ferretti had no living relatives. Jaime Willows, Ferretti's fiancee was the only one considered family. But in all sense, many of Ferretti's friends were family. Jaime Willows was a civilian working in the SGC. A computer specialist. It was a great mystery to all as to how the tough Major managed to melt the heart of a beautiful scientist. But anyone with eyes could tell that they were deeply in love. Jaime had been alright with Louis's sudden departure. In fact she was downright brave. It would have come as a huge shock to her to have in fiance back in a body bag, when he had said his 'I love you, I'll be home soon', less than a week ago.

Sam Carter, Jack O'Neill and General Hammond stood side by side, with their blue dress uniforms. Three of many officers who was present in the huge church. Daniel, Teal'c, Janet Frasier, and Cassie was also there. With their mind filled with good old times and their ultimate loss.

"Now, Colonel Jack O'Neill would like to say a few words."

On cue Sam squeezed Jack's hand. It would be difficult for him, but they both knew he could do it. It was the least he could do for Ferretti.

" I spent thirty proud years in the service of my country. During these years I lost many comrades to war, to terror, and to criminals. These memories are painful. However I don't regret for one moment joining the military. Because I got to meet rare, and wonderful people. One of them Louis Ferretti. Major Louis Ferretti will be forever remembered as a hero because of this deeds, of how he spent his life. He spent his life, protecting this nation, the people."

Many sobered up from their grief as they heard the simple words, coming from a man also suffering from loss. Many started to see hope and light at the end of the dark tunnel that once seemed to stretch for miles on end. Jack O'Neill continued, giving hope to many.

"He fought for the people, he bled for the people and on Friday April 18th, he died for the people. Now there are those here who grieve for his loss. A loss that will create an empty space in all our hearts. But let's remember his last acts. Let's not tarnish his memory by uttering words of revenge but instead think of his deeds that made us all gather here today. I will remember Louis as an officer of great capabilities, and the truest friend."

At this point the church was filled with echoes of sobs, muffled words. Jack gave a moment of pause. He could not continue as his own words began to shed light on the grief that he tried to bury inside.

"Whatever you remember him as, remember him for who and what he was. A hero."

He stepped down and took his stand next to his 2IC, Samantha Carter, also his secret lover. He knew that he could always find comfort in her.

"That was beautiful."

She whispered in his year as she offered him a handkerchief and tightly squeezed his hand.

The final farewell began. The firmly closed coffin was shown as Major Coburn and Captain Janet Frasier lifted the Stars and Stripes. They folded in a ceremonial manner and everyone could see the tears streaming down the Doctor's face as she handed the neatly folded colours to General Hammond.

"Miss Willows, I now speak for every single servicemen of the United States Airforce. I present to you this flag as a small token of appreciation of your fiance's service to this country. He was a brave and loyal officer who sacrificed his life for others. We were all honoured to serve by his side."

Jaime Willows, who had been Ferretti's fiancee for 6 months shuddered as she could not make words coherent.

"Thank you General. And now I speak for Louis. I know that he considered it an honour to serve alongside you."

This time Cassie stepped forward. The dark colour of her dress made her face look pale in contrast. She placed a white rose on top of the coffin as a soft piano playing began.

The night is still, a nation sleeps in silence.
Then a sound is heard, a crash of guns the threat of war is near
And suddenly a flash of light, an awesome sight,
Lights up the night, there's peace no more
And the nation's hearts are filled again with fear.

The words to the song were simple but honest. The sweet melody enfolded those who listened and strangely offered from comfort.

Across the world we watch the news of bloodshed
And we give our hearts to those who die a victim of the war
As we live from day to day, our hearts display
The hope there may be peace on earth
And hope that men will, men will fight no more.

Let's say a prayer for peace and understanding
Lift up our hearts and join in us our prayer
Let's hope that soon the wings of peace will fly across the land

Cassandra continued to sing, ignoring the tears rolling down her face. The tears of youth and innocence. Tears that could cleanse a man's soul and remind others that peace and freedom is what people crave.

We sit at home a thousand miles from conflict.
And we feel there's nothing we can do, no matter how we care
And as we watch our TV screens, read magazine,
We hope there may be peace on earth,
And hope for peace and freedom everywhere.

And we hope for peace and freedom everywhere...............

***********************************************************************************

"Thank you Colonel. You said a lot of beautiful things. And I appreciate that."

The young doctor's face was pale and her hands were shaking uncontrollably. However Jack could detect the strong spirit present in her voice. Perhaps it was a personal quality that Ferretti fell in love with or a quality that she had armed herself with after hearing the difficult news,

"You know my number, Jaime. If you need anything, anything at all, don't hesitate to call. Day or night. Promise me you will."

He reached out and held her small trembling hands in his bigger ones. A few steps away Sam watched Jack offering some kind of relief to the young woman whose life had just been shattered to pieces. One again she realised, painfully just how important Jack was in her life. She wondered if she could be as strong as Jaime Willows is she ever lost Jack.

"Thank you Colonel. I better be on my way now."

As Jaime Willows began walking out of the cathedral Sam stood by jack and paled a hand on his shoulder, feeling helpless. He turned his head slightly and brown eyes met blue ones. A silent agreement was spoken.

"Atten-hut."

Jaime stopped briefly when she realised that two officers were saluting, but she continued walking, as she clutched at the folded flag. It was a symbol of her fiance's life. The symbol of struggle for liberty.

**********************************************************************************

It was a long night for everyone. Everyone that knew or served alongside him felt the loss. Their tired and grief-stricken minds demanded sleep but many could not relinquish their consciousness, afraid of the renewed pain morning would bring. Instead they sought comfort. Some sought comfort from crying and vocalising their feelings, some from drinking, some from working, some from walking in the crisp night air, some by thinking of new life and some from holding the ones they loved the most. No matter where they felt most safe they all knew one thing. Time would come for them to move on. No one ever said it was easy but it was a path everyone would have to walk down at some point. Perhaps whilst walking down this long and difficult road one may learn new things. For Samantha Carter it was learning to lean on others....

***********************************************************************************

She closed her eyes and tried to alleviate her grief in the strong arms of her lover. She buried her face in his chest and listened. She could feel his heart beating rhythmically and she was once again assured that they were both alive and in love. As Morpheus slowly claimed the couple, enfolding them in his cloak of sleep Sam whispered her last thoughts.

"Don't you ever die on me Jack"

Jack wanted to say something in return. Answer her, reassure her in someway but then again what could he possibly say? What could anyone possibly say to death?

Tell me what you think.....

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Angelheart