Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Departure

by Angel Star
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Departure

Departure

by Angel_Star

TITLE: Departure
AUTHOR: Angel_Star
EMAIL: dittomaster21@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: SJ romance, character deaths
SPOILERS: Cold Lazarus, Forever in a Day
SEASON / SEQUEL: future
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: character deaths, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Someone special dies...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack, Heliopolis, any others, just ask!
DISCLAIMER: Don't own 'em.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I don't think I've got any... I feel this is the worst of my fics, so *please* don't hurt me...
FEEDBACK: Yes please!

Jack walked slowly through the door. His jaw was clenched, and he showed signs of a few long nights. A few people nodded sympathetically at him, most just stepped back and watched him pass. Of all the closest friends and relatives, he seemed to have been hit worst with the death. He had hardly eaten or spoken, he only drank. But beer after beer still did nothing, but make him sick.

The room he now entered was dark and quiet. A few candles and low lamps provided enough light to see with. Quite a few people were standing or sitting around the place. One got up and walked over to Jack.

"Hi Jack."

He nodded.

"Glad you could come."

"Wish I didn't have to."

"There was nothing you could have done."

"That's what I've been trying to tell myself."

Daniel looked at the man in front of him. He was staring sadly at the coffin in the centre of the room. He knew that this was too much for him. First Charlie, then Sha're and now this. None of them had been his fault, but he felt responsible for all. He wouldn't sleep again until he got forgiveness, and the only person who could do that was lying dead in the coffin.

There was some movement outside the door, and Daniel stepped out. A few moments later, he came back in with General Hammond, a few top ranking military, and the President of the United States. Jack slowly stood to attention, as did a few others in the room. The president looked around, saw Jack, and went straight over to him.

"Colonel O'Neill?"

"Yes sir."

The president put out his hand and shook Jacks gravely.

"It wasn't your fault Colonel."

"I only wish sir."

"No-one's blaming you."

"Except me sir."

The president shook his head and walked over to the coffin, followed by his bodyguards. The other officers followed him, nodding solemnly at Jack as they passed. Hammond stopped and looked at Jack. Jack looked back at him.

One look spoke a thousand words.

Hammond nodded quietly and also went to the coffin.

Daniel came up, tugged Jacks arm, and lead him to a seat. The other man followed, oblivious to the world around him. He sat in the seat and covered his face with his hands. Daniel couldn't hear anything, but he could see his back shaking slightly as he cried. It was the first time he had cried since the death. He himself had run down already. Now he was just walking around in a stupor. Teal'c didn't cry, but for the first time showed a lot of emotion.

Two men in grey suits walked in and looked around. Daniel recognised them as the undertakers. He got up and went over to them, because the family didn't seem to be able to.

"Can I help you?"

"We think it's time to put the lid on."

"Already?"

"It's been three days Doctor."

"Oh."

"Could you tell everyone except close family to leave the room please?"

Daniel bit his lip to hold back a fresh wave of tears.

"Sure."

He could barely talk now. The men nodded and left the room. Daniel walked round, showing the various military and civilians to the door. Soon only the body, family, Teal'c, Jack and himself were left.

The small children were crying, as was their mother. The brother and father touched her face one more time and stepped back to console the children. The father nodded at Daniel, and hugged his granddaughter again. Daniel looked at Teal'c, but he was staying where he was. Jack stood up unsteadily, took two steps forward, and stopped.

Daniel went to the edge of the coffin and whispered something under his breath. He brushed his hand along her face, then turned to Jack. He took one of his arms.

"Come on."

At first he resisted, but eventually moved forward. Daniel realised how run down he must really be, if it was this easy to move him. He lead him to the side of the coffin, looked at him once, then went to help bring the children out. They closed the door after them, and Jack was left alone.

He gently trailed one hand down along her cheek, as he gazed into her beautiful face. He carefully brushed back a piece of her fair hair.

Her eyelids fluttered open, and she looked up at him.

He smiled gently down at her.

She moved her lips, as if to speak, but he placed his finger across them.

"Shh."

She looked around her at the white and blue lace, then back at him.

"I'm dead?"

He smiled softly.

"Yes Sam."

She closed her eyes and lay her head into the hand caressing her cheek. Then she opened her eyes and turned back to him.

"Help me up."

She reached up and he took her hand. She put one hand on his shoulder and he gently lifted her out. He held her around the waist; she had her arms around his shoulders.

"There's no rules here."

"No."

He caught her chin and gently tilted her head up.

He bent down and kissed her tenderly.

When he leaned back, she smiled softly at him. Her eyes glittered in the candlelight.

He wrapped one arm gently around her waist and they turned to the coffin.

Someone opened the door from the outside and walked in.

They both looked towards it.

It was Daniel.

Daniel walked into the room and gave his eyes a moment to adjust to the light.

When they did, he was sure he was seeing things.

At the opposite end of the room, in their blue uniforms, smiling at him, were Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter. Jack pulled Sam even closer to him and both of them smiled and waved to Daniel. A beautiful gold light descended on them and they shimmered.

Then they disappeared.

He stayed staring at the place where they had been, then shook his head and backed out of the room.

Everyone outside watched him, puzzled. He pointed into the room and shook his head again. General Carter and General Hammond looked at him, then went into the room, followed by a number of others. The ones who waited outside heard gasps of disbelief as each one entered.

Finally Daniel plucked up the courage to go in again. Everyone was hovering around the coffin, and now he saw why they had gasped.

He too sucked in a sharp breath.

Where before there had been just one dead body, there were now two.

Another one was slumped across the top of the coffin, holding hands with the one inside. Both had contented smiles on their faces.

Daniel smiled sadly. It had taken death to bring what each had wanted so much. And now...

They were finally together.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Angel_Star