Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

R 'n R

by Andrea Fry
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
R 'n R

R 'n R

by Andrea Fry

TITLE: R 'n R
AUTHOR: Andrea Fry
EMAIL: andrea_fry@yahoo.co.uk
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 3
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f
SUMMARY: What happened after the return from "Hell"
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

After rescuing Sam's dad from Sokar we had all been ready for some leave, not just the usual post-mission down time. General Hammond had been happy to agree. At first we were all supposed to be going to go ski-ing together, as a kind of antidote to the heat we'd endured in "Hell".

But I found that the thought of ice and snow brought back too many memories of the time Samantha and I had spent trapped in Antartica to appeal. The mere thought of our time there made my leg ache and my breath feel short in my chest.

So whilst Sam and the others, including her father and Teal'c went off together to Aspen, I decided to try somewhere a bit warmer, but not quite as hot as "Hell" had been.

I ended up going to California, to Bakersfield. It was a pretty commercial sort of place, but not too big and not too touristy. I was expecting to spend a quiet 10 days or so alone, recovering from what had happened, in particular Binar's torture. The memories of Charlie had all come flooding back and it was still pretty painful, even after so much time had passed.

However, on the fourth day, there was a knock on the door of my motel room. I knew it wasn't room service because I hadn't ordered anything and it was the wrong time of day for maid service. Plus, I had told no-one where I was going.

The knock at the door came again. I hesitated, thinking that if I just left it they would go away. But the knock came again. This time the visitor also called out "Hello sir, are you there?"

It was Sam. I was pretty surprised but decided I would let her in, more from dull curiosity and boredom than out of any great desire to let her see me in my current dishevelled state. I had been pretty much living like a pig whilst at the motel.

So I went and opened the door to her.

"Hi Major" I muttered. "Come on in". I made an expansive gesture at the tiny motel room. She looked a little surprised, but came on in anyway.

"So how'd you find me?" I asked.

"Well sir, I may not have Special Forces training but I am a scientist. I'm used to doing research"

I gave a wry smile. It was a good answer. "Drink?" I suggested, showing her the Scotch bottle I been working my way through. She shook her head.

"Too early for you?" I asked sarcastically. "Too late actually" she replied. "I'm still on Colorado time"

"Come on Major, don't be a party pooper" I said. "If you're on Colorado time then it's still only 2200. Hardly what you'd call late"

"Maybe not for you sir, but for me it is" she replied.

I sighed. "Guess I'll carry on drinking alone then" I said, pouring my glass two-thirds full again and then taking a large mouthful. I sat back down on the over-stuffed armchair which was the only one in the room. After looking around for a minute, Carter sat on the floor. She did it very gracefully and I admired her legs as she did so. She had come dressed for the season, in a light-weight cotton dress and looked great. I sighed again mentally. I was torturing myself now, looking at her like that.

"So Major" I said, breaking the somewhat awkward silence which had fallen between us. "Why are you here? What happened to the ski-ing with dad?"

"Dad had to go back to the Tokra and I was worried about you Colonel."

"Worried? About little ol' me? Why?"

"Well what happened on Netu was pretty bad. I didn't like the idea of you reliving the torture Binar put you through alone. It's not the sort of experience you should keep to yourself."

"I have had past experience at this type of thing you know Carter" I replied tartly.

She grimaced. "Torture maybe, but not having your memories stolen and manipulated and replayed for you in living colour."

I shrugged. "That's not torture, that's how I spend every day".

She looked surprised by that, but I didn't feel like telling her how often I still remembered what had happened to Charlie, and wondered if there wasn't more I could have done to prevent what had happened to him.

"I'm sorry Colonel" She stood up. "It was probably a bad idea me coming out here in the first place"

I stood up as well. "Hold on a minute Major, whilst you're here, you may as well stay for dinner."

She looked as surprised by that remark as she had by my previous one. Hell, I'd even surprised myself. "Ok, sir, why not. It's not as if I have any better offers" She shot me a wicked glance as she said it.

"Well, so long as not going to cramp your style *Major*" I replied sarcastically.

"No, that's Ok sir, I don't mind being seen in public with an older man so long as I know I'm never going to see any of the people again"

I was open-mouthed by that one. "Perhaps we should just eat in instead?" I suggested.

"Now you come to mention it, that might not be such a bad idea" she shot back. "Don't want you embarrassing yourself in public, now do we?"

"Carter" I warned "you're sailing very close to the winds of insubordination you know"

"Oh very poetic" she smirked. "I never knew Scotch could have that effect on a man"

I lunged towards her, cushion in hand, but she swatted it away easily and stood laughing openly at me. Caught off balance, I grabbed her arm to stop myself falling, and ending up stood almost on top of her, with her nose inches from my face. Unable to stop myself, I leant forward and kissed her. After a hesitant moment when I thought she was going to smack me in the face, she returned the kiss. With interest. Seconds later we were in the armchair kissing again, all thoughts of dinner forgotten.

* * * *

When we finally returned to the SGC 6 days later, I had to admit it was the best holiday romance I'd ever had.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Andrea Fry