Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Longer Than A Moment

by Andonida
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Longer Than A Moment

by Andonida

TITLE: Longer Than A Moment
Author: Andonida
Email: blue_girl2k@hotmail.com
Category: None
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: Watergate, Window of Opportunity
Season: 5
This story is a sequel to: If Only
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: none
Status: Completed
Summary: A surprise comes through the Stargate.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.

Longer Than A Moment

After 3 weeks of downtime Jack, Daniel and Teal'c returned to the SGC. Jacob Carter had been and went. SG1 were called to Hammond's office.

**********

"Welcome back SG1. Glad to see you're all well." He was lying through his teeth, he could see the pain and anguish that O'Neill had been through, but he chose not to say anything. At least, not in front of the others. "So, General, when do we meet our new member?" asked Jack, trying to be his old self.

"Yes, I'm afraid we haven't found a suitable replacement for Major Carter yet." Daniel piped up, "Uh, General? I wouldn't exactly say we're looking for a replacement for Sam. Right Jack?"

"Huh?" Jack snapped back into military mode, "Yes, that's right, what Daniel said." Hammond looked directly at him, "SG1, I'll get back to you in a week with details. For the moment you can do on-base duty; no missions for a while. Daniel, Teal'c, you are dismissed. Colonel, I'd like a word."

Daniel and Teal'c left.

"Yes, General?"

"Colonel, would you consider having counselling?"

"What for?"

"Ever since your mission on P4X-642 you've been a little... different." "What do you expect? I've just lost one of my team members, it's natural to be upset about it! Or shall I just go around as if nothing's happened? And how comes you're not offering this to Teal'c or Daniel?" Jack's eyes flashed with fury.

"I believe Teal'c and Doctor Jackson are coping better than you appear to be," Hammond tried to choose his words carefully, "No matter how much you deny it to anyone, including yourself, it is quite plain to see that you and Major Carter were a lot closer than was necessary in your working relationship!"

Jack was speechless. He swallowed and tried to talk, but Hammond spoke again.

"Jack, at least consider it."

At last Jack found his voice, "Yes, Sir."

"Thank you, you are now dismissed."

**********

Jack walked into the commissary to find Teal'c and Daniel eating a late breakfast. He joined them with a bowl of Froot Loops. It reminded him of the time when SG1 visited P4X-639. He remembered the look on Hammond's face when he took Sam into his arms for that sweet kiss, just for a moment. He smiled sadly at the memory, knowing that she'd never find out, nor would he ever have the chance to do it again.

"Is everything well, O'Neill?" Teal'c tilted his head.

"Fine, Teal'c. I've never been better," Jack sighed and pushed away his Froot Loops, "Just great."

He walked away to the control room. Daniel and Teal'c just looked at each other, neither knowing quite what to say, or daring to say it.

**********

Jack walked into the control room, and straight up to Hammond.

"General, any chance of that counselling some time soon?"

"Certainly, Colonel, I'll organise it as soon as possible." "Thank you."

"Unscheduled offworld activation."

Hammond turned, "Who is it?"

There was a pause, "It's SG1, Sir."

"That's impossible!" Hammond frowned. "SG1 are all here on the base. Close the iris."

"No, open it," Jack interrupted.

"Colonel O'Neill, what ...."

"Just open it!" he called, running through to the Stargate. He stood on the ramp, waiting for what seemed an eternity. After a moment he turned to walk away, disappointed, when suddenly someone fell through the Stargate with a pained cry.

Samantha Carter collapsed into Jack's arms, trying to catch her breath. She clutched at her side, blood stains showing she'd just been shot.

"Stand down, men. Colonel, get her to the infirmary immediately," a stunned General Hammond's voice came through.

**********

"... while she isn't on top form, she shows no long term effect from her imprisonment. She should be back to normal within a few weeks," Janet finished her report on Sam's condition.

"Thank you, Doctor," Hammond nodded his approval.

"When can we see her?" Jack's eyes shone like a schoolboy.

"You can see her now, Colonel, but mind she's tired. Don't get up to any of your tricks!" Janet smiled at Jack. "I won't." Jack hurried off to see her.

"Have you told him yet, Sir?" Janet looked at the General. "Not yet, Doctor. I'll make him suffer a little longer!"

**********

Jack walked up to her bed. She looked so gentle as she slept. He touched her pale hand softly. "Carter?" Her eyes flickered open. "Hi, Colonel," she smiled weakly.

"How you doing, your side hurt?"

"Ya think?" Sam grinned playfully at him.

His eyes filled with tears.

"Oh Sam, I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I thought I'd lost you forever." Tears spilled down his cheeks. Sam grasped his hand.

"I know."

She looked deep into his eyes. Her look told him everything, more than words could ever say. He kissed her cheek.

"I'll see you later."

She smiled, "See you later, Jack."

**********

Two weeks later, Sam was up and about as normal again, to everyone's delight. Even Teal'c was smiling!

SG1 all sat in the briefing room waiting for General Hammond to arrive. There was an unspoken feeling of joy between them, now they were back together again. Sam still looked a little drowsy at times, but her blue eyes were sparkling.

"So, Sam, what actually happened?" Daniel leaned forward.

"I'm not too sure, really. When I fell I thought that was it. There was a horizontal Stargate with a connection established, although I don't know where to. They had some sort of technology that held the 'gate open for long periods of time, far longer than we've ever managed. They hadn't invented it, I believe early Goa'ulds has been there previously, and something had wiped them out.

"The people there didn't fully understand what the technology does, and they relied on the shock of their prisoners to intimidate and discover more technology. Many of their workers were in fact lost explorers. Despite the technology, they are still a fairly primitive race, but they are very open to different ways."

"Did they try to hurt you?" Jack jumped in.

"Well, I think they were more afraid of me than I was of them. I probably got hurt more when I fell through the 'gate."

"But...."

"But, yes, a little bit."

"So, how did you escape?" Daniel peered at Sam.

"Well, as well as the Stargate that I came through, they had a second Stargate. Somehow the technology they'd acquired allowed both 'gates to establish connections simultaneously, something here on Earth we were unable to achieve when we discovered Russia had a Stargate.

"Anyway, I was showing them some of the things I had and how they worked. They wanted to see what sort of distances they covered, so I was walking backwards with a zat in my hand when I stumbled across the other Stargate. I dialled it up for home as quickly as I could but by that time they had come to get me, so as I was running for the Stargate one shot me," she winced at the memory, "Then, I was just back here."

General Hammond entered the room.

"Good morning SG1, I apologise for being so late. It's good to have you all back, safe and well," he smiled at Sam, "Now, I have an announcement to make. This was being planned prior to your mission to P4X-642, but, considering the circumstances, nothing was said."

SG1 looked at him expectantly.

"I am pleased to inform you that, after much consideration, Major Carter has earned a well-deserved promotion to Colonel. You will no longer be second-in-command, but an equal. However, should there be any disputes, the final decision shall still lie with Colonel O'Neill."

"Thank you, General." Sam smiled and nodded.

"Thank you for your time SG1." Hammond smiled as he left the room.

"Way to go Sam!" Daniel grinned.

"Congratulations, Major Carter," Teal'c nodded.

Sam blushed with embarrassment and joy.

"You hear that Carter? Final decisions rest with me! So I think to celebrate we should all go out for a drink," Jack winked at Sam. "I'm not arguing with that!"

"Just give us a few minutes Jack, and we'll be ready." Daniel smiled and left the room with Teal'c. "Carter?" Sam held back for a moment. "Yeah?"

"Seeing as we're now equals, as the General put it, there's something I need to do." "What?" Sam looked up into his eyes again.

"This."

Jack took her in his arms and kissed her like before. But this time she would remember, and it lasted longer than last time, longer than a moment.



Longer than a moment? This was forever.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Andonida