Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Log

by Amber
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Log

Log

by Amber

Title: Log
Author: Amber
Email: slugsg1@hotmail.com
Category: Future Story, Samand Jack, D&J, Romance
Pairing: Sam/Jack, Daniel/Janet
Spoilers: up to season four
Season: 4
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: mfrelationship,
Status: Completed
Summary: Daniel's log on some happenings that involve him, SG-1 and a certain someone that we shippers growl at. (And no it's not Marty! Or Narim, or laira, or that other chick, K something...but we can shoot little arrows at them anyway. J No really we love you guys, at least Marty any way.)
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.

Strange when you think about it. Here I am on another planet with people I know by my side and I feel more at home than at my parents place. Don't get me wrong, I loved it back home with mom and Dad, but here, with the SGC I have brothers and sisters now.

I remember how all this started...back when some stuffed shirt colonel took the Stargate and made it classified until General West told them to show it to me.

I still wonder sometimes what Jack was like before his son's death. But that brings another question, would Jack be still married to Sarah because now, things have changed, from the moment Sam walked in that door, according to Ferretti anyway.

He hasn't said anything to me, or anyone else for that matter, but Teal'c and Janet have also noticed something there that we don't get. What would happen if he and Sarah got back together? It wouldn't be the same here, between Sam and Jack I mean. You can tell in their body language, Jack belongs to Sam and Sam belongs to Jack, they just can't establish exclusives rights to each other. ~~ Jack got the last item out of the trolley and placed it on the belt. The lady ran it across, the machine giving a loud beep as the price flashed up the screen. Jack handed her some money and picked up his bags. He was outside, the car in sight, and then another figure caught his attention. She also looked at him and walked over. Jack stopped.

"Hello Sarah..."

"Jack, how are you?"

He shrugged, wishing that the moment would pass, that she would just keep on walking.

"Can't complain, yourself?"

Sarah nodded. "Good." She looked at the shopping centre behind him, Jack swallowed, dreading that she would ask him to...

"Jack do you want to get some coffee, or something?" She smiled at him, uncertain and pleading.

"Okay." Jack put the things in his car and they walked to the coffee shop.

They walked in silence, both unsure of how to talk to each other. Jack casually checked his watch. He had to be at the SGC at 1400. Only two hours away.

Sitting down he looked across at Sarah. She sipped at the coffee, the steam masking her face slightly. She put it down on the desk and looked up.

"This is weird isn't?"

Jack frowned. "Yeah, it is."

Sarah eased forward in the chair and took a deep breath. Jack smiled, letting out a chuckle despite himself.

"What?"

"You always do that when you are going to spring something big on me." Jack's smile disappeared. He didn't want to believe that he knew her that well, but then when you know a person, you know them. He studied her every movement for years; the way the breathed when she was excited or scared; the way she walked; the sound of her footsteps could determine what type of mood she was in. Though he hadn't seen her in nearly five years, Jack realised that he still knew her.

Sarah just smiled. "Yeah, some things never change..."

"Well, what is it?"

"Do you remember a few years ago, when that, I don't know, being? Came to my house?" Jack nodded, easing back in his chair, hoping to look casual and praying that she wouldn't ask questions about the Stargate.

"You hugged me when you came to the hospital."

Jack screwed his eyes up behind his sunglasses, and turned his head slightly. "I was glad to see that you weren't hurt."

She smiled. "Jack, what happened to us?"

He snapped his head around and looked at her. "What?"

Sarah had found her courage now. "What happened to us? We used to be great together."

Jack stiffened his body; he could imagine the force shield going up and the lock put carefully into place.

"Don't know, I had a mission, you left."

"I would have come back."

He bit his jaw, grinding his teeth slightly. "Why didn't you?"

"I thought that if you wanted me you would come and get me."

Jack laughed. "The same works in your position. If you wanted to come back then you should of."

"I needed some time, to sort everything out. That's what that mission was for wasn't it?"

"Huh?"

"The mission gave you a time to think about everything. At the hospital, you were almost normal."

"Normal?" It brought a smile to his lips.

"As normal as you can get." She offered

"Right, of course." Jack frowned and looked out at the road. Cars zipped past, tying to beat the red light. A red van hit the breaks, its tyres squealing on the tar. The light flashed green. He heard a V8 rev its engine, the clutch dropped and it sped off.

"Do you remember when I used to do that?"

Sarah laughed at the memory. "Yes. I was so scared when you took it up with that guy, what was his name?"

"Snake Pit."

"That's it... And I was screaming in your ear all the way."

"Saying 'slow down Jack, shit slow down!" They burst out laughing. "And what about his face when I won?"

"You shoved a pole up his ass that day."

"Didn't I?"

The laughter subsided. Sarah looked at him again, and Jack found himself not wanting to leave. "They were good times, weren't they?"

Sarah nodded, and reached out, taking his hand in hers and giving it a squeeze. "Yes they were."

Jack looked at her hand, then back at her face. He placed his hand over the top of hers and rubbed it. He smiled at her, raising her hand to his lips, he kissed it lightly.

~~

I don't know what happened to Jack on his down time, but it was something pretty huge. He was late for the briefing, which was normal. The thing is he couldn't look at Sam; he couldn't look at anyone actually. Today's Jacks concentration span was zero. On our mission he kept to himself, and his orders were vague and, well, he was on another planet. Pardon the pun. Sam noticed it and tried to ask if there was anything wrong. He just turned, looked at her and walked off. Oh there was something wrong all right, something big. I caught him sitting with his head I his hands, but he heard me coming and took off before I could say anything.

Sam asked me if he had said anything to me, so we tried to come up with possible sources. We got nothing, unless he actually caught a fish... Jack would have gone to his cabin, sat on the deck with a cooler, a rod and that's all he would have done. He would have come back at least one day before he was due back, which meant yesterday. So our problem lies between this morning and yesterday.

~~

Jack pulled up at the curb and looked at the small house. The lights shone dimly through the curtain. He tapped the steering wheel nervously. He had been hoping that she wouldn't have been home, and that he would have just kept driving. But he was there; the lights were on, so that meant that she was there.

Jack opened the door, shutting it, pausing before he locked it. There was now way out now, the door was locked.

He turned back to his car when he was halfway up the stairs, but the sensor lights switched on, stopping the fleeing action, blinding him like a rabbit caught in headlights. Jack had never been so scared in his life. He had faced death so many times before, so many that he expected to get out of it all the time. Death was just another part of daily life now. He had gotten used to it.

He reached out, his index finger compressing the button. Moments later a door open, quickly at first then it slowed. Sarah stood in the middle, she shock on her face replaced by a smile that spread over her face.

"Can I come in?"

She raised her eyebrows. "Sure."

He walked in and sat on the couch. Sarah walked to the fridge and pulled out beer, waving it in question. Jack nodded and held out his hand, taking a quick swig of it, hoping that the alcohol would make his job a lot easier.

"So..."

"So what brings you here?"

Jack shrugged. "Don't know, just felt like coming, I was in the neighbourhood."

Sarah smiled, crossed her legs and lent against the back of the chair, watching Jack's hands fidget nervously in his lap. He eyes darted around the room, finally coming to rest on the remote control. He grabbed at it and flipped it around his fingers. Sarah lent across and grabbed in from him.

"I hate it when you do that."

"What?"

"Play with things. Can't you keep your hands still?"

"No." The answer was honest, and Sarah couldn't believe he had said it with a straight face. His tone suggested that he was laughing on the inside. She shook her head and turned the set on, flicking through the channels.

"There, hockey game. Happy?"

Jack flashed her an insincere smile, his eyes bright and wide. Sarah smiled. The old Jack was coming back.

"Yes, quite." He relaxed; the hands found the beer and the beer in turn found itself in his mouth. The fingers had slowed. Only tapping the leg or the bottle when the ads were on.

Sarah uncrossed her les and went into the kitchen. She looked at the man in her lounge. What used to be such a natural sight now seemed somewhat odd. It was odd, but it was also good. Wherever Jack worked, it had done him the world of good. His former self had replaced the stiff rule player, even if it was a nervous body there, it was better than nothing.

Sarah returned to her seat, Jack smiled at her, groaning as one team scored a goal.

"Who's winning?"

"Not my team."

"Oh, damn?"

"Yes, damn."

He playfully swiped at her arm. Sarah fended him off. Jack grinned and grabbed bother her hands with one hand and pulled them to the side. The smile grew bigger.

Sarah tried to pull away one from him. "Jack, no!" Her pleads went un answered. Jack lunged forward and tickled her around the waist. Sarah wiggled violently, her legs failing in the air.

"Jack, it hurts!" she said through fits of giggles. He just grinned back her. The intensity of his fingers playing at her side increased.

Sarah then flung her whole body backwards, catching Jack by surprise he fell on top of her. Her plan had worked. He had stopped, allowing her to breathe again, except now an increasingly familiar face was now only inches away from her own.

His eyes scanned her face, it was as if he weighing up every pro and con before he carried out his next move. Jack leaned forward, silently asking a question. He received his answer. Sarah craned her neck upwards to meet his lips, wrapping her arms around him as the kiss quickened.

~~

Damn, I could kick myself! I was translating a text from what seems to be a tablet written in Mayan and Jack came in. I didn't see at first, but he wanted to talk about something. He was standing there, playing with my jar of pens, and tapping it on the desk. He asked me if I was busy and I said yes, just to get him away. Replaying the scene back in my head I can see his eyes. He was going to talk to me about the problem and I told him to leave me alone.

He just said ok maybe later and walked away. At the time I don't care. I was glad to get rid of him, knowing that he would probably go and pester Sam.

Sometimes I think he only goes up there just to say hello and spend time with her. That is also the only reason Sam goes to his office to ask about past mission papers and his signature on her mission reports. She could have a runner take them down, and she is perfectly capable of getting past mission papers for herself.

But, keeping in tradition with Jack's abnormal behaviour, Sam said that she didn't see him when I went up there.

Maybe the thing that has happened is between her and him? If yes it is about time, even though I have been told about codes and regulations. What the air force doesn't know cant hurt them, can it? I'll have to remember to talk to Jack tomorrow, maybe he will still will be willing to bare all

~~.

"Colonel?"

Jack spun to see Sam. She was holding a control in her hand, most likely for her equipment. He took a step towards her and raised his eyebrows.

" Do you think that you could help me with something?" Sam was already turning, pulling out a blue plastic looking object and she held it out to him with a smile.

"Don't worry sir, its nothing hard. I just need you to take it over by those trees and drive the spike as far into the ground as possible."

Jack nodded. "Ok, I should be able to do that, but if I break it, its Daniels fault."

Sam laughed, her blue eyes shining at him. "Yes sir, but I don't think that's fair on Daniel."

He turned back to her, an expression of mock seriousness. "Whose side are you on Carter?"

She smiled. "Daniels." Sam whispered it, her smile absorbing her face. Jack rolled his eyes.

'Typical. Side with the scientist."

"We have to travel in numbers, that way we can knock out the air force brass who think that they are better than the rest of us."

A sly smile crossed his face. "Carter, I don't suppose you could tell me your rank and what department of the government you work for could you?"

Sam frowned, then pointed to the trees. "Can you please put the spike in?"

"I think that would be..."

"Sir!"

Jack saluted her and marched off with the spike.

Daniel looked up from the rock that he was studying. For a moment he could see Jack acting normally, flirting like a teenage boy again with the coolest girl in school; that being someone he couldn't have.

"It appears that Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill have reached a conclusion with their quarrel."

"Yeah, I hope so. Teal'c?" Daniel shifted his weight to look at the bigger man. Teal'c raised his eyebrow. " Have you seen Jack and Sam do anything that might... I don't know, explain Jacks behaviour lately?"

"Are you referring to infringement codes that prevent them from interacting on a personal level?"

"Yeah, that would be it."

"Then I have not." Teal'c then half smirked, the eyebrow arching up slightly higher. "Then again, Daniel Jackson, we do not see what goes on behind closed doors."

Daniel was surprised at the jaffa humour. It was a subject that was thought possible but never spoken out loud. He smiled. "I guess so."

Back on earth, Daniel tore off is boots and sat on the chair. The air force didn't have comfort in mind when the designed the boots Daniel thought miserably.

"Daniel." He looked up at the feminie voice calling his name.

"Hey Janet." He said tiredly. "I'm not sick am I?"

"No... are you?" The casual face suddenly was marred with concern.

"No!" Daniel held up his hands, displaying them as clean.

"Good." She sat down beside him. "So how was the mission?"

"Long, boring. Nothing for me to do much... Sam and Jack have made up."

"They were fighting over something?"

"Nah, but he appeared to be real awkward around her, and really vague, in the debriefing room and on the missions."

"Perhaps he is starting to feel the pressure of keeping it hidden?"

"Nah." Daniel shook his head. "Jack can keep things hidden for eternity."

"Well, I hate to break the joy of the mission, but I passed them in the hall and he couldn't even look at her, he kept jumping on his feet, trying to get into the elevator. I think Sam noticed it, because she walked away and kept shaking her head, as if she was think through what had happened."

"Or something else that she was worried about..."

Janet nodded. "Or something else." She sighed, and then turned sharply. "Daniel, why don't you go and see Jack, he's probably at home. Maybe he would talk to you in his own environment."

Daniel nodded. "Yeah, I wanted to talk to him anyway."

~~

So I went to see him today. He answered the door casually, the smile quickly retreating from his face. I couldn't pick his expression, but now I know what it was.

It was guilt.

He refused to look at me in the face, and through the gap in the door I saw a woman. She came to the door with a smile and Jack fumbled through the introductions. I saw the same look on Abydos, it was please go away. I think I nearly fell over when she said her name was Sarah. The look on Jacks face told me that it was the ex wife, and though his body was stiff, hers was casual, open.

Very affectionate.

So a little more than a casual meeting at the coffee shop had occurred, and I am glad they left those few details out of the story. So I excused my self, made with the pleasantries of nice to meet you and bolted for the car.

Before I wondered what would happen if Sarah was still in the picture, but it seems that she never left.

~~

Janet stared at Daniel, her eyes boring into his as he told his story of the meeting. She then sat back into a chair.

"I thought she left him."

"Apparently not. When I first came back from Abydos, he told me that he was sorry for a while that she had left. It sounds horrible, but..."

"But what?"

Daniel frowned, and then dropped his head, attempting to muffle the words.

"What if Sam was just the rebound girl?"

"Daniel, not for five years."

"No, think about it. Don't get out much, they don't have a social life to speak of, even though Jack claims fishing is social. They are around each other constantly. The only women Jack would see frequently would be Sam and you."

"Ok, I see where you are coming from. Do we tell Sam?"

~~

Janet and I both decided not to tell her, anyway its not like they are together as a couple, it's more of an unspoken 'together.'

We are all on leave for two weeks. Sam hung around the office after Hammond had left, hoping that he would ask her to the cabin, except all he said was 'have fun kids.' She recovered quickly, but Teal'c, Janet and I all saw the look of surprise and disappointment in that brief second.

I have no idea what Jack is doing but as Janet said we cant mother him that he is a grown man and he can relate with who ever he wants, as long as they aren't in the air force.

So that got me thinking. Is Sarah just a convenience for him? It doesn't seem like Jack would just mess around, but then even I did that several years ago.

I think I am just hoping that for Sam's case that it is serious. If he is only playing games, then she was just a part of the game. No one likes just being a 'part.'

~~

Janet looked up and saw her blonde friend approaching her. Sam was carrying a cup of coffee and some apple pie. Her smile made her look devious.

"Oh no, heres trouble..."

"Hi Janet, did any one tell you that you are paranoid."

"Its for my own good. So what is up?"

"Mmm, nothing really, just, the grapevine."

Janet groaned. "What now? No, I want to guess."

"Ok, but you wont guess this one."

"Sam..." Sam held up her hands in a peace offering. "Ok, it must be about me."

"Correct."

"Did I poke some one with a needle too hard?"

"Nooo..."

"Are they accusing me of indecently exposing my patients to other staff members?"

Sam shook her head, the smile grew.

"I give up."

"Daniel."

"What about him?"

"You and him, seen leaving the base in the same car."

"I gave him a lift home..."

"Then again in the very early hours, Daniel was seen leaving your house..."

Janet frowned.

"And Cassie slipped up. She accidentally said that when Daniel stayed over..."

The doctor was now red faced.

Sam leaned forward. "Busted Janet! So how long has this been going on for?"

Janet shook her head. She was trapped. "Nearly a month."

"And you were planning to tell me when?"

"Hey I've only just told Cassie, even though she had already guessed..."

"Excuse me, Doctor Fraiser?"

The guard approached, interrupting lunch.

"Yes?"

"General Hammond wishes to speak with you."

Janet smiled. She mouthed 'later' to Sam then followed the guard. Janet breathed a sigh of relief. She and Daniel had discussed the topic endlessly. They decided to keep it private. But they had slipped up, and after all it was just the grapevine. Sam had just chosen to confront her about it.

~~

Sam stepped off the elevator and smiled as she saw Jack round the corner. His face was one of disinterest and annoyance, the cause of came running after him. Daniel quickly came to a halt.

"Hi Sam."

"Colonel, Daniel." Sam grinned at Daniel. "Seen Janet lately?"

Jack's eyes flicked up as he read the expression on her face. She knew what he suspected what she already knew. The younger man appeared to think for a moment and then hit the elevator button.

"No. Why?"

"No reason." The grin increased, the victim turned away, jumping into the elevator.

Sam just laughed, and turned to her commanding officer.

"So what was that?"

"Sir?"

He leaned closer, whispering harshly. "Janet and Daniel, are they, you know?"

"That's affirm."

Jack lent back and smiled, nodding. "I knew it, I saw them in the car..."

"You started the rumour?"

He turned, his eyes professing his innocence. "I only said something to Teal'c, one of the guards overheard me. How did you find out?"

"Cassie told me, she didn't mean to it just slipped out."

"Well, you can't expect a teenager to hold a secret can you?"

Sam smiled. It was such a long time since she had seen Jack like his normal self. His eyes danced with the former mischief, his arms were no longer crossed, the scowl gone. He was holding eye contact with her!

Then she watched it all change. The smile that they were sharing vanished, his posture straightened. The eyes went dead.

"Colonel? Is there anything wrong?"

"No, I just remembered something. I'll see you later Carter."

He spun on his heel and left for the direction of his office. He walked away from her with the same purpose that Daniel had; he was avoiding her.

She had almost been sure that what they had was back to what it was before, but now it was like they were back in that briefing room for the first time. Defence shields up, the weapons supplied where sarcastic comments and endless flirting. The result was that the shields went down. Then what happened?

~~

So they know, or it seems that the whole base knows. But it is allowed; its not like Janet and I are Sam and Jack.

The three of us were out at the park, Cassie was walking her dog and then Janet hit my arm. There on the far side of the playground was Jack and Sarah. They were walking away from us, hand in hand. Janet turned to me. She asked me if Sam knew, and I said no, but I think she knows that there is something wrong.

Jack still flirts with Sam occasionally, Janet caught him doing it the other day, and then he looks at her, scanning her for god only knows what and then he stiffens, closing himself off from her leaving my friend alone in the hall, the lab, the cafeteria the briefing room, hell everywhere! He leaves her wondering what happened?

I'm wondering that too.

Why does Jack still play with Sam when he is with Sarah? So a little flirting doesn't do any one any harm, but he still puts everything into it, like he really means it, only remembering after its too late about 'the other woman' at home.

I'll have to have a proper talk to him; he needs a kick up the ass.

~~

"Jack? He turned over lazily; forcing the sheet down that half covered his face. It was too early.

"What?"

"Why don't we have a barbeque or something, and you can introduce me to all your friends from wherever it is?"

Jack groaned. He wanted to yell not likely. "You already know them."

"Well, I couldn't have met them all?"

"No..."

"Well?"

Jack opened his eyes. Sarah's smiling face was asking him to play with an ember that was not yet dead, though he had been throwing water on it for years.

~~

This will be interesting. Jack is holding a get together, at Sarah's request. I have no idea if he has asked Sam yet, but I would be thinking that he would avoid it for as long as possible.

I had to say yes. To cover up Jack's reluctance to arranging it, he winked at me and said,

"If you want you can bring along Janet." The guy hasn't lost himself yet, but it's happening quicker and quicker each time I see him.

He hasn't flirted with Sam in almost a week. They pass each other and it's a quick major and Sir greeting and he keeps walking while Sam pauses and almost stops, expecting him to talk to her.

Yesterday she didn't even stop. Their eyes never left the floor.

Did I mention the get together was going to be interesting?

~~

Daniel pulled up the handbrake on the car and leaned across the steering wheel, looking at the house. Beside him Janet picked up her handbag and her Jacket, she turned and smiled.

"Daniel. It won't be that bad..."

Daniel just forced a smile. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "Lets hope so."

Standing on the curb, anther car pulled up. Cassie jumped out of it, waved good-bye to her driver and joined her family.

"Hey, just get here?" Janet nodded. Cassie smiled. "Guys, why don't you relax, its not like its your first public appearance together...well, maybe it is if you mean 'together' as in couple..."

"Hey!" Daniel playfully swiped at her shoulder. "That's enough from you."

Daniel knocked on the door. A minute later it opened. Jack stood at its side, a foolish grin dancing in his face. He held tongs in one hand, a paper towel in the other.

"Welcome travellers, would you care for an alcoholic beverage?"

"Ah, not just yet." Daniel stepped in side, waiting till Janet and Cassie had walked outside.

"What the hell are you doing Jack?"

The older man rolled his eyes around to finally meet Daniels.

"What?"

"Its 12 o'clock and you are already drunk. What the hell are you doing?"

Jack giggled, and fell onto Daniel who promptly pushed him up right.

"I'll let you in on a secret Daniel..." he held up a beer bottle. "I think I am drunk."

"You are Jack." Daniel shouldered past him and stepped out side. There was Sarah O'Neill, or ex O'Neill. He had no idea of her maiden name or what she called her self now. She was talking merrily with General Hammond, Janet and Cassie. Daniel glanced back at the drunkard who was coming down the stairs, having recomposed himself. If Jack were to walk a straight line he would have failed Daniel thought.

Daniel plastered the false welcoming smile on his face. The woman turned her attention to him and smiled.

"Daniel, how nice it is to see you again." They exchanged a quick kiss in greeting.

"Yeah you too...so Jack tells me this was your idea."

Sarah smiled, letting out a small laugh. "Yeah, Jack would never of thought of this himself. He hates social functions."

"He seems to be enjoying himself now." Daniel commented, a smiled curving the side of his mouth.

Sarah frowned, reaching out she held Daniels arm briefly. "He's had a few too many."

Daniel sighed. "Ya think?"

Sarah smiled, and stepped to the side as Hammond's granddaughters ran past. Daniel noticed that the joke was lost her. He had correctly used on of Jacks most used phrases and it didn't even spark a sincere smile.

Sarah grinned as Jack came down the steps, leading another member of the party. Ferretti and Teal'c both smiled at the approaching woman.

"Sarah, I believe you already know Ferretti, and this here is Terry."

Daniel watched the expression on Ferretti's face. He stared at her, the back at Jack, who was on his way back to the barbeque. He then extended his hand.

Daniel broke away from thee group and stood at the drinks table. He wasn't game enough to ask Jack if Sam was coming or not, but he decided that if she was she would get here.

"Daniel?"

He spun to see Ferretti. "Yeah?"

"Is that who I think it is?"

"The ex wife, yes."

"Ah, I thought she left."

"So did I."

So how long have they been together?"

Daniel let out a long sigh. "A few months, give or take."

"Well I guess that would explain Jacks behaviour then."

Daniel looked at him. "How?"

"He got all serious on us not long after he married Sarah. The fun Jack returned not long after Charlie was born, but then went when it was just him and her again."

"So Sarah doesn't know about the real Jack?"

He shook his head. "I'd doubt it. At least not to the extent to which we know him. He was very serious never broke the rules when he was with her. This Stargate Jack that we have is what he was before he married." Kawalsky then frowned. "Jacks seems to be ashamed of it."

Daniel turned to him. "He does too..." He said it quietly.

"If he was proud of it, then he would have said that they were back together."

"But if he didn't like it why is he still in the relationship?"

Ferretti shook his head. "No idea. Maybe he is hanging onto the remnants of it?"

"If you ask me its more one sided than equally shared."

"Sarah made the move?"

Daniel nodded. "From what I can tell." Janet called out from behind him. "Excuse me..."

"What?"

Janet laughed as one of the kids tickled her waist. "Go with Daniel and he'll get you some water ok Kayla?"

The young girl nodded enthusiastically and grabbed Daniels hand.

Daniel poured the glass. "There you go, be careful..." The door knocked softly and Daniel took a few steps and pulled it open.

"Hey Sam. We are all out back."

She smiled. "Hows Janet?"

Daniel just groaned. "We came together."

Sam smiled broader and patted him on the arm. "Good."

Outside Jack was singing to him self as he flipped hamburgers. Sam paused before walking up to him.

"Colonel."

"Major, glad you could make it." He looked up from the hot plate, his clouded eyes focusing on the blonde hair ruffled by the breeze.

Sam picked up the beer bottle beside him. "Are you drunk?"

He grinned. "Nah, not me!"

"Jack?" A woman's voice floated easily over the crowd, the body walking up to the other side of Jack.

Behind them, Janet hit Daniel arm, pointing in their direction. "Lets the games begin." He murmured.

Sam cast a smile easily on her face. Jack backed away slightly. "Sarah, I want you to meet Major Doctor Sam Carter, Carter, this is Sarah O'Neill."

She shot a look the shorter woman, then one at Jack. The smile never left. She extended her hand.

"Hi please call me Sam."

"So do you work in the government too?"

Sam nodded. "I am the colonels second in command." Sarah nodded.

The guests behind watched as the polite conversation carried on for a few minutes then Sam excused her self to the drinks. Janet walked closer she could see Sam take in a deep breath then swallow half a can of beer. The smile then returned.

"Thirsty?" Sam nodded. Janet stepped closer. "You know, Jack has already got him self totally wasted to avoid this and its not working."

Sam frowned. "Avoid what?"

~~

The meat was served; Conversation floated to and fro, the volume increasing as the alcohol increased its concentration in the blood streams. Sam then quickly excused herself and left. Janet frowned as she watched her friend go, and then looked back at Jack and Sarah. She was talking to the General next to her, but Jacks eyes were following Sam as she disappeared through the door.

She glanced at Daniel, but he had missed it as Cassie was talking to him about something. She looked around the table and found Ferretti looking at his former commanding officer. Ferretti turned and raised his eyebrows at Janet, taking as sip of his beer as he did so. Silently he told her that's something. Girlfriend is here, but the woman has left and he is looking at whom?

~~

Sam turned the shower on. Stepping she let the harsh water droplets splash on her face. The high pressure made her face sting, but she forced herself to keep it in there, this way the tears could not be seen.

Eventually she stepped out and wrapped a towel around her. She wiped the fog from the mirror and stared at the reflection in the mirror. The blonde hair was dark, her face slightly flushed from the heat. Or tears, she couldn't tell the difference.

Sam then smiled. How could she have honestly expected that he would wait around, or that he had really cared about her and only her? What angered her was that he hadn't told her, and that she had been one of the last to know. The looks on Daniels and Janet's faces told her that they had already known about it, and they had neglected to tell her.

Sam looked down at her hands. Her knuckles were clenched white as they held onto the edge of the bathroom sink. Ordering them to let go, Sam wiped the sink with her hands.

Oh well...

~~

Honestly, it was horrible seeing that today. I tried to talk to Jack about it, but he was just too far-gone to worry about. Janet told me that he had looked after her as she left while Sarah was supposedly engaging him in a conversation. Ferretti saw it too.

So now what will happen to the team? Sam isn't going to be one to carry this into the missions, but she can't keep it out completely. Jack won't be able to either. He hasn't been able to talk to her when she didn't know about Sarah, so now that she knows...

The team will fall apart. Teal'c and I will be ok, but the relation ships held between the three of us is completely lost.

Just call us the lost treasure of Atlantis.

~~

Wow. I was so right about this. Two weeks after the barbeque and SG-1 is at war. It's so bad that you just don't want to be in the same room any more. Janet doesn't know but I pulled a sicky 24-hour flu.

Its unspoken law now not to ask Sam or Jack if there is anything is wrong, and I'll use a cliche here, if you do, it's a case of if looks could kill.

I was talking to Jack the other day and Sam got out of the lift. She saw us standing there, turned and got straight back in it. It's that bad, they are avoiding each other.

In the briefing room, it's like ice in there. The tension is that high I am afraid to drop a pen for if it drops, they'll snap. General Hammond has even noticed it. He walked in there after a mission. (On which Sam and Jack did nothing but fight the whole time, I was sure that if Teal'c and I hadn't of said something they would of gotten physical.) And he stopped and looked at them. Shock to the general who was used to the smiles darted across the room at the speed of light. Well, the Stargate has shown us a lot of things; defied physics and now we have witnessed the speed of light slowing down to nothing. (Metaphor people of the future!)

So can this be fixed? Janet doesn't know, Teal'c doesn't know, I don't know... the whole situation is pending.

So, mission tomorrow. Can't say I am looking forward to it, but Janet has already cleared us for travel so there is no getting out of it.

~~

Sam tripped over a rock, stumbling for a few steps in front of Jack he walked straight passed her, knocking her out of the way.

"Pick up you feet Major."

Sam bit hard on her jaw, her wrists clenching. Daniel saw her eyes narrow and he quickly stepped in front of her, blocking the view of Jacks back. He could imagine her running her fingers through her hair, taking a deep breath, and then walking on. Instant kel nor reem.

The group came to a cliff. Below sheltered in the far edge was a Gould ship. Jack immediately fell to his stomach, cursing to himself.

They didn't even see the shot come. Sam was half way to the ground when the weapon hit her. Teal'c feel next. Daniel watched from the tree edge, venturing out to help his fallen comrades, only to be hit was well.

The sky danced in front of Sam's' eyes, the pain was subsiding. She then could make out the faint out line of a man that she no longer knew.

"Sam..." she heard it whisper.

Sam open her mouth, trying to tell who ever it was that she was all right; there was no need to worry. It was then she saw who it was. It was Jack. Sam smiled at him, and then it all went away.

~~

Jack jerked his head awake as he heard the bid beside him groan. He slid the last few feet that separated them, gently placing his hand on the shoulder.

"Hey Sam, C'mon, time to wake up now..."

She tried to wriggle out of his grasp; her closed eyes darted back and forth furiously before the opened.

Jack smiled. "Hey, welcome back..."

"Jack?"

He nodded. "Yeah..."

Sam abruptly sat up, knocking her worried friend back slightly. "Ah, de ja vu..."

"Except this time we were never dead."

"We weren't?"

Jack shook his head. "Tranquillisers, very painful ones at that."

Sam frowned and raised her eyebrows. "Damn..."

"Ya think?"

Sam turned to him. His smile itched across his face, growing broader ever so slightly as time passed. She ducked her head as the emotion took over her muscles. Despite her self, Sam found herself smiling with him.

~~

I can only assume that something happened between Sam and Jack on that mission, when we were 'darted' and kept in those chambers. Several teams came through and rescued us with in a few days, though it was once again a battle to free us.

Sg-1 may be regarded as the greatest team of the SGC, but we sure do cost the taxpayers a lot more than any other team.

I have found that we aren't so great, that the past five years have been an illusion and only now am I living in the real world.

What is this illusion? Its still slightly lost to me, but I now that we are not invincible, and one day, as depressing as it might seem, we will die. We don't really function as a team, we are friends and that is how we operate. I have heard that making things personal you endanger yourself and those around you. Its true. That's why SG-1 is constantly in trouble. If Jack had carried the mission out and not have made friends with me, then ... what? None of this would have happened.

Sam and Jack would never have felt for each other. I would have never found Sha'uri, never have lost her and never have found Janet or Cassie. Teal'c would never have found freedom. He would be either dead or still a ruthless prime.

We were running from the compound, I met up with Teal'c and we were looking out for the team that had gone up the other corridor. I then saw Jack and Sam running from it, each half carrying each other through the crossfire. I would have loved to watch that moment for a long as possible but I couldn't, so we all ran. The whole way they never let anyone fall behind, and they didn't leave each other.

Back on the other side as I laid on the infirmary bed I saw them just sitting on the same bed, watching each other and I knew that it was going to be alright.

~~

Sarah opened the door, her smile glowing in the late morning sun; it then slowly disappeared as she saw Jacks expression. Wordlessly he stepped inside and ran a nervous hand through his hair before turning to face her.

"Jack?" The remainder of the question, what is it was left unsaid.

He shrugged. "Why did this happen?" Seeing her confused look he tried again. "Why did we get back together?"

Sarah frowned and sat on her couch. " I don't know. Why do you ask this now?"

"I was on a mission."

"You told me." Her tone was slightly annoyed.

"Sarah, what were you doing with your life before you saw me in that supermarket?"

She sighed and thought for a moment. "I was planning to move to Chicago. It would have been in two weeks from yesterday and I would have a new job."

"Why did you stay behind?" He was quiet, almost afraid to ask the question in case he received the wrong answer.

"I wanted something that I had thought I had lost."

Jack then sat beside her and lent back into the couches comforting arms.

"Why do you ask?"

"Can't tell you."

"Something to do with the mission?"

He nodded. "Yeah..."

~~

Jack paused outside the lab door. Inside he could her the soft whir of the computer, flowed by the occasionally 'tink' as the person inside played with her do-hickeys inside.

He knocked on the door to see her look up and smile. The put a long piece of metal down and wiped her hands on her pants.

"Colonel. How are you?'

He knew that she was expecting the I'm fine answer, but truthfully he wasn't fine. "I've been better." He then half lent on one of her benches, earning a worried look as she stepped closer to him.

"Sir? There must be something wrong for you to answer like that."

Jack forced his head to tilt up right, to look into her worried eyes. "I need to know something."

Sam smiled. "Ok, then I guess you've come to the right place..."

"Normally yes, this time I am not so sure..."

Sam frowned. There was something definitely wrong for Jacks conversation to be so cryptic. He was usually a man who preferred to straight to the point tactic. She took a seat beside him.

"Well, I could always try..."

That seemed to be the answer that Jack was looking for; he turned and screwed his jaw slightly. "I don't know, I feel as if I should be explaining...something?"

Sam felt her frown deepen, her fingers clenched the desk tighter. "Explaining what?"

Jack nodded. That was the evasive response that he was expecting She wasn't making things easier for him. "I should have told you." He ventured.

It was as if someone suddenly lit fire works in Sam's brain, releasing to underlying problem. "I t would have been nice if you had told all of us what was wrong. We are your friends, it's our job to be supportive."

"I don't know why I didn't." Jack looked at her, studying her eyes that said something to him. "Job to be supportive?"

Sam raised her eyebrows. She couldn't answer that, she didn't want to. As his friend and second in command that was her role, but then there was something else that she had that allowed her to feel something that Sam knew that shouldn't be there. It should be there, but it was. "Sir, if I may..." He looked at her, nodding gently. "Why did you...?" She paused looking for the words. " Why did you act like you did, keeping us all out...?"

"I was ashamed of it." The answer shocked both participants in the conversation. Jack leapt form the bench and turned to face her. He opened his mouth to say what he wanted but quickly shut it again.

Sam got to her feet to join him. "What?"

The loud shrill of the phone interrupted them. Sam reached for it. "Carter..."

Jack grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled a word on it, then left.

Twenty minutes later Sam looked it. The phone call had given her the results of a test that required immediate action to continue testing. But in truth the reason that she didn't look at it was that she was partly afraid to look at it.

Later.

Later. She repeated the word softly. He was promising later.

~~

Jack sat alone on his couch and checked his watch. He had at least an hour before she finished work and was home again. Jack dropped his head to his knees, the cool glass of the beer soothing his head.

Ashamed. He was ashamed of the fact that he had had this relationship that he didn't even know that he wanted. That's why he hadn't told anyone about it. That was why he had gotten himself drunk at Sarah's little barbeque she had made him organise. If only she would tell him that she was going to Chicago, to at least give him a way out.

The door opened and Jack jumped to his feet. Sarah, just as surprised to see him.

"Jack what are you doing home?"

"I had nothing to do... What about you?"

She straightened her shoulders. "Jack..."

He held up his hand. "Chicago?"

"Sort of..." She sat down, her partner following suit. "This is really hard, but that question that you asked me the other night, after you came back from that mission, it got me thinking...about us."

She shifted closer towards him, no longer leaning against the back of the couch.

"Us?"

"Yes, us. Jack, I have made myself forgive you and seeing you that day, I guess I was vulnerable and I thought that I could fix it with a relationship with you. I said that I was looking for something that I had lost..."

She looked at him, begging for Jack to understand. He nodded, the eyebrow shooting up slightly.

"It wasn't lost, it just wasn't there anymore."

Sarah sighed and nodded, a tear fell down her face. "I knew that you felt that after you came back from that mission, but I was told about it at the get together."

Jack frowned. "Get together?"

"Ferretti was talking to me and I saw this blonde woman that I had seen before, at the hospital came and talked to you. Ferretti stopped short when I asked whom it was, Daniel was uncomfortable around me, Janet was uncomfortable around me, Jack they all were. It was then that I realised that you hadn't told them. At first I was angry, covering it by talking to this Major Carter, but at work the next day I was telling my friends about it and their mouths fell open. Jack, I hadn't told them either."

"Something would have to be wrong..."

"I know, we didn't want to admit it." She pulled the plane ticket out of her pocket. "That is why I have decided to go to Chicago."

Jack nodded. Suddenly hating himself for wishing that she would go to Chicago. "I'm sorry." He said, the voice was soft, as if it wasn't there at all.

Sarah nodded, she reach out and squeezed his hand. "So am I."

She then got up and went back out the door. It shut with a soft click. The engine turned over and he heard the car accelerate.

He looked at his watch.

It was later.

~~

All Jack would tell me is that he and Sarah had broken up, a mutual decision apparently and that he and Sam had sorted it all out, or as much as he thought they needed sorting out anyway.

I was shocked to hear that he was ashamed of his relationship; that he felt as if he was betraying his friends by having one with his ex wife. I think I was supposed to read between the lines on that. What I think he meant was that he felt that he was betraying Sam since that they had this 'bond' between them that was to be left un mentioned and he felt guilty for not telling his friends about it.

In a way I don't want to know about what happened after Sarah left when Jack went to Sam's house, its really none of my business, just like what Janet and I have is none of Jacks. We were on the same boat once, to afraid of what they would think if we revealed the nature of our relationship to them, but Janet and I, it was revealed early, and I am not sorry about it.

~~

"So did they sort it out?"

Daniel nodded. "I think so, he wouldn't tell me much."

Janet nodded. She climbed onto the bed beside Daniel and put a hand on his shoulder, leaning against it. Daniel put his arm around her shoulders and gently kissed her hair.

"The base knows don't they?"

"They probably already knew, the grapevine..."

"I'm glad that its not one of those unspoken things."

Daniel sighed and held onto Janet for comfort.

"Yeah, I am."

~~

I watched to formation of the relationship, I watched it fall apart and I saw the building blocks pulled out of the dust again. I thought it was lost, but it was only buried. I once said that we were lost, like Atlantis. Well just think of this as Macgyver, cause he found it, so why cant we? Oh yeah, we did! We each found our own little Atlantis.

A million years into the sky, Ra the sun god sealed and buried for all time Stargate.

Until a pesky race known as the Tauri go opening things up and just ruining it for everyone. That's only sometimes, the other times its opened, and it can only lead to good things.

Everything is back to what it should be, though a few things have changed slightly.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Amber