Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Retroaction

by Amber
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Retroaction

Retroaction

by amber

TITLE:Retroaction
AUTHOR:Amber
EMAIL:slugsg1@hotmail.com
CATEGORY:Sam and Jack, Action, Time Travel
SPOILERS:Up to season 4
SEASON / SEQUEL:Any time
RATING:PG
CONTENT WARNINGS:None
SUMMARY:Inspired by the classic 1969, which I think they could have done a whole lot more with.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:My notes:This is part one people, with part 2, reality part 3 and back to the future part 4 which can be found under the title retroaction, the series name.

Part 1

Theory

The universe has always been considered a big place, one with many theories of how it came to be attached along side it.

For many people, the solar system is the centre of the universe and since the only intelligent life form known to them exists on this one planet Earth, these people consider themselves to be the ultimate centre that everything revolves around them.

Several things had occurred in Earths lifetime that could not be explained. For century’s scholars have tried to answer questions, explain theories and inexplicable objects, unaware that the correct answer was indeed, not that far away.

Like many things, it had been forgotten about, like the truth that came with it. The Truth was to horrifying and extreme for man to deal with, so the truth was buried at a place now known as Giza Plateau.

The Stargate was happily forgotten about by those who knew that it meant slavery and a lifetime of burden, so the ancient Egyptians, the Tauri did not care when earths most advanced piece of technology was buried.

Until 1928.

In 1994, the stargate was finally reopened and the theories of Dr Jackson were proved right. The pyramids were built as landing bases for alien ships- the Gods.

Thanks to Dr Daniel Jackson and Colonel Jack O’Neill, a race of People-Abydons, were freed from Ra the sun god, their burdens lifted.

In 1996, the earth gate was reopened again and for the next 10 years, all those who stepped through the gate learnt that the universe is bigger than what anyone could imagine and that Earth wasn’t the only intelligent life form out there. Overall, the tauri learnt that the universe didn’t revolve around them.

Many of those who knew about the stargate didn’t like the idea that humans aren’t as powerful as they liked to think they were. Once again, because they didn’t like the truth, the earth gate was buried and the Cheyenne mountain complex in which it was situated was destroyed.

Eventually the Stargate was forgotten about.

The year 7000

“Samantha! Get up or you will be late!”

Samantha carter pushed back the covers and groaned. She hated the first day of school, and this being her last year made it even worse.

“I’m up Mum!”

She stepped off the bus and was greeted by the familiar sight of students running back and forth. Sam pushed her way to the lockers where her friends were waiting.

“Oh my god, I can’t believe this is our last year.”

“Great isn’t it?”

Voices accompanied by the sound of something breaking made everyone look down the hall.

“Looks like the army guys are here.”

“You can’t say anything, Sam. You actually want to join the air force.”

“Kate, it’s a maybe.”

Sam sat down outside. She had been looking forward to her free period all day.

She lent against the tree and looked up at Cheyenne Mountain. It was so overgrown compared to the rest of Colorado Springs. The rest of Colorado had been destroyed by the war of 6901. It had taken 100 years to rebuild it.

A pair or legs in cargo pants blocked her view. An army boy.

“Hi there.” He waved his hand in greeting.

“Hello”

“Are you Samantha Carter?”

“Yes.”

He sat down, a smile on his face.

“Jack O’Neill. Great being the last year isn’t it?”

“Can’t wait to get out of home.”

“Look, since this is our last year, I was hoping not to fail all my classes this year and I heard you were the person to talk to.”

Sam smiled in disbelief. “An army guy wants to do school work?”

“I want to fly planes, apparently you need some kind of brain to do that.”

“Air force, really? Me too!”

An eyebrow shot up. “You flying planes?”

“You jack aren’t the only person allowed to surprise people.”

He laughed. “So when do I become smart?”

“Lunch time?”

“Yep. I’ll just tell them I have a detention.”

So something out of the ordinary occurred. Jack O’Neill, a member of the army social group began to improve his grades, his friends remaining ignorant about it.

Sam and jack shared a common interest, one that involved stars.

After world war 4, anything that was advanced was destroyed. The human races began to realise how much power they had with the aid of computers, and in the attempt to increase their power, the human race had nearly been destroyed in 2190. Those who had survived destroyed anything that was left and reading and writing was forbidden in the attempt to stop the world from moving forward again.

There were those who dreamed of what the world used to be like and there were the stars. Inspiring the people as always to dream of travelling there. The desire to travel to the unknown caused the world to progress forward again, finally in the year 4000.

Sam typed away at the school computers. Her physics essay was due in 2 hours; she felt that it had to be finished now.

A familiar reflection appeared in the screen.

“What is it Jack?”

“A proposition.”

“Of what?”

“You, me, Saturday, we go up Cheyenne mountain.”

“People aren’t allowed up there.”

“Hence the reason why it so appealing.”

Slowly, Sam’s eyes began to relent.

“Great, pick you up at 6 in the morning.”

He patted her on the shoulder and jogged off. Sam could sense that she would regret this, but there was a part of her that was filled with curiosity.

“Great isn’t it? This is the only place left in Colorado that isn’t covered in cement.”

“They’re just trees Sam.” Jack grunted as he pushed a branch away, only to be hit in the head with another one.

“How far are we?”

Jack stopped and looked at his watch, it was midday. He turned and looked behind him, it seemed like they had travelled a long way.

“Dunno. ‘Bout a quarter of the distance?”

“I’ll have to ring my mum.”

Jack frowned. “What for?”

“We’re going to the top aren’t we? To tell them that I won't be home tonight. Come on, we’ll never get there if we stand here talking.”

“Jack gave her a mock salute. “Yes Sir!”

Sam led the way up the mountain. Jack was amazed, for a smart person, and a woman, she seemed to have a love for this rough and tough stuff.

“Hey Jack, I think there is a clearing up ahead. You want to stop and have lunch?”

“Not a bad idea.”

Sam disappeared into the ferns. Jack parted then and almost an into her. She had just stopped and was staring at something.

“Look at that!”

Below them was a road, or what was left of it. Pieces of bitumen were scattered along, making a path up the side of the mountain.

“Hello. Looks like we weren’t the first to come up here,”

Jack touched Sam’s shoulder, signalling for her to follow him. The excitement slowly built up, causing jack to break in to a jog. It seemed to be contagious as Sam also started running. Both of them wanted to now what was at the end of the road.

“That’s a steep cliff down the side there.”

“If I didn’t know better, I d say there used to be water there.”

Jack peered over the edge and took another bite into his sandwich. He gave Sanm a sideways look.

“I knew that.”

Sam smiled. “Jack you don’t realise what this is! The fact that there is no water suggests that this road could be thousands of years old!”

“What about all those wars that destroyed Colorado?”

Sam raised her shoulders. “It obviously didn’t here hard enough.”

Jack looked up the road. It was three o’clock.

“We’ve 4 hours of sunlight left, lets go.”

“Damn!”

The road came to an end. Piles of rock, rubble and trees blocked it off. Large shadows were cast down by the setting sun, making an attempt of climbing the boulders impossible.

Jack walked to the edge of the road. There would have to be a way around it. He turned to Sam, who was telling the answering machine she’ll be home tomorrow

They could always turn for home now, but that would be giving in. Besides, curiosity had gotten the better of him, Sam too. The decision was unanimous; they would keep going around the rubble.

“Hello, what’s this?”

Jack gestured to a pile of dismantled concrete, partially hidden under trees and shrubs.

They pulled away the wreckage; a tunnel was revealed, with the remains of a ladder built into its wall. Both paused before going in there, for the fear of the unknown was an element that couldn’t be removed from the human race.

Jack edged forward and put his foot on the rung. At the bottom they followed a long corridor. It was damp and it stank. Not of rotting corpses but of neglect.

Sam stopped as she reached the end. There was a door. Jack signalled for Sam to run the torch along the door. There was no handle or a place for a key to be inserted. Jack took a clip from Sam's hair and ran it along the edge until it stopped. He then fiddled for a few seconds until the door opened and he pushed it open.

“Open sesame.”

“Where did you learn that?”

“Not only do the army boys specialise in combat, but also in break and enter. It’s not something I’m proud of. Ladies first?”

Sam stepped through into what seemed to be a larger corridor. She shone the torch on the roof.

“This place used to have lights. I suggest we find the power source."

With a series of flickers, the lights slowly turned on. Once again the hallways were lit, revealing the elaborate and once fantastic complex made of concrete, iron and steel. Sam and Jack stood there with open mouths.

“Hey, I think there is something written on the wall here…” Jack stopped walking to rub away mould and dust from the walls. A symbol appeared.

“SGC. Sam, what is SGC?”

“Never heard of it, and never seen that symbol before either.

The pair continued their exploration of the complex.

The walked in to what looked like a primitive locker room.

“This one looks like there is something in it.”

A box was pulled out. There was a photo album inside it.

“Jack this guy looks like you, if you were forty.

“This little id looks like me when I was young.”

They turned the page.

The picture was of a group of people that in the foreground there was a man that looked like jack and a woman that looked like Sam. Sam pulled it out to read the back.

“Colonel jack O’Neill, major Samantha Carter, Doctor Daniel Jackson and Teal’c. Hammonds retirement party 2001.”

“Sam how come these people look like us?”

“Evil twins?”

“More like evil ancestors.”

“How could this have survived all this time? This whole structure must have been built of incredibly strong material, to be still standing, let alone operating.”

Jack had no answer. He stood up and rubbed the mould off the nametag.

“Colonel O’Neill, this used to be my locker.”

Jack rubbed off a few more.

“This ones yours. He pulled a small case out of it and gave it to Sam.

“It’s a ring.” She looked on the inside. “Always.”

“So, we have identical in another lifetime, and someone gave you a ring a couple of thousand years ago.”

“New plan, we sleep, then try and find the records room. Maybe we’ll find out what the SGC is or was.”

“Great.”

They searched many rooms, and all they found were what could have been the remains of furniture.

“What floor is this?”

“I think it’s 27.”

They pried open a door and walked in to another empty room. This one was different; it had a large glass window with what looked like…

“A map… a map of planets,”

“This thing looks like a tracking device of some sort.”

They walked into the adjoining room. There was a lot of dust and a large glass window that was sealed by a large meatal cover.

“There must be something good on the other side.”

“Shall we?”

They followed the stairs down and pulled open the door and walked in.

A large ring stood there with small symbols o it.

“What is that?”

Sam walked up and looked at it. “These things were on the SGC symbol.”

“There’s that triangle with the circle.” Jack pointed to the top of the ring.

Sam stepped back to the start of the ramp that led u to the ring.

“What have we found?”

The lunch bell rang. Relieved that class was over, he hurried in to the hall in search of Sam. He found her putting books into her locker.

“Told any one?”

“No, we said we wouldn’t.”

“I think I know what it is.”

“Sam turned to look at him. “How?”

“It sounds stupid but it just popped in to my head in maths…”

The army group walked passed.

“Jack, c’mon we need to get the geeks money!”

“Give me your money,” He hissed at Sam.

“Why?”

“Just give!” She gave him her five dollars and watched him jog off to his friends.

Her mother nocked on the door. “Sam, there is a boy downstairs who wants to see you.”

Sam opened the door. “Who?”

“Jack O’Neill.”

Sam rolled her eyes and ran down stairs.

“Hi jack.”

“Sam,”

He looked uncomfortable and handed her back the five dollars.

“I’m sorry, just that the guys…”

“You had to look cool in front of them, I know.”

Sam started to head back up the stairs. Jack rushed forward to grab her arm.

“Stargate.”

“What?”

“The ring, it’s a stargate. I was looking in the computers and I found records and storied that referred to a giant ring as the doorway the heaven. It’s a gate way to the stars.”

“Stargate? That would mean that SGC is stargate something…”

“Control, Central, command. All the information is there, but it is the form of storied for the rest of the world. Sam you asked what we had found and I have the answer, all we have to do is make it work.”

Sam stepped off the step. “Do you think that Daniel Jackson is out there too?”

Jack smiled.

“Mum, I’m going out!”

Part 2

MYTH

For the next few months, all Sam and Jack did was research the myth of the stargate. A myth that had been buried and forgotten about since 2001.

"Yeah, I can't go today, dad got home from his business trip."

"Ok, I'll see you at school tomorrow."

"Bye jack."

Sam hung up the phone and went down the stairs,

"Hi dad."

She sat next to him, a contented smile spread across her face.

"So, Sam, who is this boy you have been seeing?"

He asked the question jokingly, but Sam knew what he was really asking. She rolled her eyes.

"Jack O'Neill. He asked me for some help with is school work and I agreed."

"Is he doing any better?"

"Yes, when he wants too."

He continued to quiz her on Jack and Sam hoped that her mother had not told him about the weekend camping. She breathed a sigh of relief when she successfully went to sleep without a single hint that he knew.

On Monday she went in search of Jack, but she couldn't find him. It was Sunday before she heard from him again.

"Sam, phone call..."

"Hello..."

"Sam, its me."

"Jack, where have you been?"

"In the SGC. I found Jackson's locker, did he have some things in there!"

"Like what?"

"A very detailed log, posters... You name it he had it. It was hidden in an air tight container built into the wall."

"So we might be able to get it to work?"

"Yep. My brother has hinted to me that I'm getting a laptop or something as a reward for my grades, so on the holidays..."

"We can get up there and get this whole thing working."

They hung up a few minutes later, both imagining what the stargate really was. At least they now had the log of Daniel Jackson, so they should have some answers now.

The year 7001

Sam sat in her car, waiting patiently at the bus stop. It came slowly around the corner and pulled up. She got out of the car and walked towards it.

Jack stepped off the bus. He spotted her and grinned, holding out his arms expecting a hug, instead he received a salute. He raised an eyebrow then received his hug.

"So how was your little family holiday?"

"Great. Two weeks stuck with my parents and bi brother, the best fun I've had in years."

Sam laughed. Even though he was being sarcastic, she knew that he had enjoyed himself.

"My mum and dad have moved, dad got reassigned. I'm staying here until I get those application forms back, see if I do get to join the air force."

They got in the car and Sam headed for Cheyenne Mountain.

The SGC looked more hospitable than what it a year ago. On floor 27 makeshift bunks had been set up, a laptop and Sam's old computer which her parents thought had been thrown out sat on a desk. Below them, the stargate. In a padlocked draw, Dr Jackson's log and all the addresses written out separately.

Wordlessly the pair set to work trying to get the gate to work. It was past midnight before they stopped.

Jack threw a pen at the window; Sam ducked as it bounced off in her direction.

"What did the pen do to you?"

"Sam. Why doesn't it work? We have done everything in the log, and every time we dial up, nothing happens."

"There has to be something else." She leaned forward and looked at Jack.

"The log always refers to theories that had been discarded of, thought basically

impossible and yet they have been right."

Sam switched off her computer and crawled in to he bunk. Jack turned his off and left.

He walked up to the gate and put his hand o it. He sat down and lent against it and put his head between hi knees. It frustrated him that they weren't progressing forward. His eyes slowly shut.

He jerked his head back up and checked his watch, it was 6 am. He ran up to Sam. She was still asleep, so he went to her computer and pulled up the document that contained all the theories that had been proved and were yet to be proven. Jack then found something that might be relevant.

"Sam? Sam! Wake up!"

"Huh?"

She sat up and saw Jack at the computers; he had an excited tone in his voice.

"What is it?"

"This theory, that the universe expands, what if its true?"

"Then the current addresses we have wouldn't work."

She jumped up and began typing on the other computer.

"Here! Each symbol has a coded number, so if we just move the numbers along one for every thousand if years since it was last used, we might get this to work."

It was midday when they watched the 7thchevron lock into place. For a moment it looked like nothing would happen and the event horizon formed.

They stood there, open-mouthed.

"Oh my god, we made it work."

"What now?"

"Exactly."


The year 2010
Colonel Jack O'Neill stared at the pen that he was twirling in his fingers. He just couldn't see the point in finishing all this paper work when it was only going to be shredded later. Jack threw the pen at the door as it opened.

"Colonel?"

"Sorry Carter, you got in the way."

"I know how you feel."

Jack stood up, it was clear to Sam that he was frustrated.

"What does Samuels have against this place?"

"Maybe because he isn't allowed to be directly involved."

Jack curled his lip in disgust.

"So, what he can't have he destroyed, just like a little kid."

"Some people never grow up."

A knock on the door, Daniel and Teal'c came in, also looking depressed and frustrated.

"Hey."

"Hi Daniel, Teal'c." Jack didn't bother answering, he just sat down again."

"Jack, they may open it again."

"Daniel. Not with the new president, Samuels is going to prefer that this place be forgotten about. We'll all be sent far away, out of reach. Teal'c you'll go back through the gate. It's a clear case of out of sight out of mind."

Sam sat on the desk.

"We have at least two more days till it is shut down."

Teal'c squared his shoulders. "You shall all be greatly missed."

"Yeah, you too Teal'c." Jack rubbed his forehead.

Daniel crossed his arms.

"One day it could be opened again."

Sam and jack looked at him. The faint glimmer of hope had returned to their eyes.

"It has already been buried and re-opened once, whose to say that it can't be done again?"

It was unlikely, but the hope was relit that the stargate would not remain forgotten.


The year 7001
"Jack, wake up?"

Sam was aggressively shaking his shoulder. He sat up, surprised.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, mails in?" She handed him several envelopes. "From universities."

Jack shuffled through his until he found one from the air force.

"Open yours from Harvard."

Sam opened it and scanned through.

"Accepted. Your turn."

Jack ripped it open but it hesitated before reading.

"You read."

"Baby." She took it from him. She stood up and turned to face him.

"What?"

A grin spread across her face and she saluted him. His mouth dropped open and

he grabbed her and began dancing around.

"I can't believe this! You know, this is because of you!"

"No, you are the one who did the work, I just showed you how to do it."

Jack got her envelope from the air force and opened it.

"Samantha carter, it is our pleasure to inform you that you will be joining Jack..."

"Jonathan."

"Jack! O'Neill in Washington D.C to learn how to fly planes."

"Ohhh, yeah! Now all we need is some music."

"Row, row, row your boat..." Jack supplied the music as they danced around the room.

They stood in front of the engaged wormhole, ready to step in.

"I wonder, what's on the other side?"

" You'll never never know if you never never go."

"Jack, I thought you hated clichés."

"I do."

They grabbed each others hand for support and they stepped through.

It was dark, with only a small a light filtering from outside the room or chamber they were in.

"According to the log, this is Abydos. The first mission came here, after Jackson opened the gate."

Outside, there was nothing but sand to be seen. A noise could be heard in the distance, it was too low to make out but it sounded like music.

Jack and Sam came to a river. On the other side was a city. Children played happily in the water, escaping the heat. They stopped playing when they saw jack and Sam on the other side. One side swam over to them.

"Where did you come from?"

"The stargate."

"But no one has used that for years."

"R'yak!" The mother called to the boy.

"Mum! These people came from the stargate."

He turned to them. "Come on over."

"So the Tauri have opened their gate again."

"Well, there is only the two of us who know about it."

Sam and jack sat in front of the representatives of the community, mainly those who had studied the gate technology and the Abydon ancient society.

"We are very glad to have you back among us. Our Ancestors have only written fondly of the tauri, especially of three people. Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter and Daniel Jackson."

"Our names are Samantha and jack."

This sparked some interest.

"Perhaps there is a reason for this."

It was after the celebration feast that Jack spoke to Sam.

"You don't think that he was right, do you?"

"About the reason?"

'Yeah. It is just a coincidence isn't it?"

"I'd like to think that, but the photos, they look exactly like us."

"I've never believed in that reincarnation stuff."

"And neither of us believed in the Stargate until a year ago."

Jack shrugged. He still wasn't convinced. If he and Sam were reincarnated, then where was Daniel Jackson? From what Jack had read, Daniel had made the gate work, so he should be there with them.

Sam could see that the whole concept of this was a little too much for jack to take in. She sympathetically rubbed his arm before going to bed.

The next few days were out of the ordinary. This civilisation had not been set back by wars, but instead, had moved forward and though they weren't highly advanced, they were happy with their existence, for everyone was equal.

Being back on Earth was hard to adjust too. Sadly, the SGC had to be shut down, as within a week Sam and Jack would be leaving to join the Air force.

The world continued on, oblivious to the fact that there was a stargate, based on the ancient civilisation myth, the Egyptians.

Stories told at bedtime that came to life in the dreams of young children suddenly became reality for 2 people.

How were they supposed to forget about this marvellous thing for however long, before they could come back?

Goodbyes were said to their families and they departed for Washington, still after all those years, the capital of America, no longer north or south with Canada, it was just America.

It was a vain hope for Sam and jack that they would be stationed together for training and even though they silently hoped not to be separated, they were.

Sam went to Cape Canaveral and Jack went to Vancouver. Best friends of separate social groups had been split up and sent to opposite sides of the country and communication with the world outside the barracks was forbidden.

The year 2010 shut down day.

SG-1 had said their goodbyes to teal'c and the gate was disengaged for the last time, Jack caught the satisfied grin of Major Samuels. He tightened his fists, feeling the urge to kill the man that had destroyed the only good thing in his life. Sam touched his arm. It was clear that she had thought of doing the same ting, her expression said that it wasn't worth it.

Daniel had already left. His new job was deciphering ancient scripts n Egypt. Though he was depressed about losing the stargate, Jack knew that he was excited about it.

He closed the boot of the car and lent against it. Sam was also carrying out the last of her belongings.

She looked at him; there was a sense of desperation in her voice.

"I don't want to go to Houston, even if it's NASA."

"You could always retire."

"I'm not ready too, and what would I do with the rest of my life, sit on the couch, watch TV and reminisce?"

She stopped. Jacks expression was weird, there was pain and anger-he was feeling sorry for himself.

"Oh Jack, you didn't did you?"

He turned away, avoiding her expression.

"With my record, I'd never make General, and I don't particularly want to either. When do you leave?"

"To night, I start tomorrow."

"Did you ever find that Christmas present?"

Sam smiled. It had meant so much to her, something that she could never have had been wrapped up and given to her.

"Yes I did, I left it in a place that'll always be remembered."

Jack nodded. "If only..."

"Goodbye jack."

"Goodbye Sam."

It was the last that they ever saw of each other.


The year 7005
Kate carter opened the door, her face suddenly lit up in a huge smile.

"Samantha! Your home."

"Hi Mum."

Sam stepped in side to the new house.

"Wow, look at this place!"

"Thanks, it taken a while but I think I have it finally looking like home."

Jacob walked in and he stopped. There stood his daughter in a blue officers uniform with captains bars.

"Am I supposed to salute?"

Sam shook her head and smiled.

"Good to see you too Dad."

Sam looked outside. All she could see was rows of houses, all different in size and shape. She realised that she missed the chance to look up at the mountain and know that the world's greatest secret was up there.

"Sam?" Her mother called. "There's a letter for you, it's from the air force."

As Sam read it her mouth dropped open, she almost felt like singing and dancing.

"What is it?"

"My orders. I'm going back to Colorado."

Part 3

REALITY

Colorado 7006.

General Wells had always been scary to Sam, but he was an excellent commanding officer, he really made sure that everything was done properly.

"Captain Carter? This is Dr Jackson. He's the new anthropologist."

She politely shook his hand. Wells left.

"So, Captain, would you be able to tell me what I'm supposed to be doing here? Wells said you were my

CO."

"Basically Dr..."

"Daniel."

"Daniel?" She couldn't help but stare.

"Well, we are a research station on stars and the origins of the universe. We need an anthropologist because you can help with the historical theories and beliefs."

"Ahhh..."

"Don't worry, it's a lot of fun."

It was a mazing! The last member of SG-1 that resided on Earth had been found. It had taken longer than what Jack had expected, but Dr Daniel Jackson had been found. Now all they needed was jack and then what used to be the stargate Command could once again, be alive.

"Well, Colonel O'Neill it really is a pleasure having another ranked officer on board here, It may be dull compared to the special forces but..."

"I need some time to relax."

"Good point." The general stood up. "You will be second in command. I'm sure my Captain will get used to it."

"Sir? Your 2IC is a captain?"

"Yes colonel, my highest ranked officer is captain Carter.

Jack did a double take. "Carter? Good man?"

"Woman. Word of warning, she's a bit of a feminist."

"Warning appreciated Sir."

"Ok what about," Daniel was searching through notes. "The ancient Egyptians for the BC years?"

Sam typed on her computer. "Yep, several theories there."

General wells knocked on the door.

"Captain and doctor, I would like to introduce you to your new second in command."

Sam opened her mouth and quickly shut it again.

"Colonel O'Neill, this is Captain Carter and Doctor Jackson."

Sam saluted him; her efforts to conceal her smile were unnoticed by Wells.

Jack raised his eyebrows. As wells left, he extended his hand to Daniel.

"Jack O'Neill."

"Daniel Jackson."

"Jackson huh?" He turned to look at Sam.

"I know, and you were hoping it was a coincidence."

"Do you two know each other?"

"Kinda."

"We went to high school together."

"She helped me pass year 12."

"Uh huh. So what's the coincidence?"

Jack patted him on the shoulder.

"Later my friend." He turned to Sam.

"My place, 8 o'clock."

"Can you please tell me what's going on now?"

Daniel was desperate to know what Sam and Jack knew.

Jack tossed him the log.

"This was written by a version of you around the year 2000."

Sam handed him the photo album.

"Here is a photo of you, me and Jack in the year 2001."

"In 7000. Sam and I went up Cheyenne Mountain. We found something called the Stargate. It was used to transport people from one planet to another in a matter o seconds."

"The door way to heaven..."

"What?"

"It's a myth, once the ancient civilisations told of a doorway that gods used to visit them through - this is your Stargate!"

"It's all falling into place."

"Have you been through?"

"Once, in 7001, before we were sent to training."

Daniel leaned forward. "We have to go through again."

Sam looked at jack. "The facility closes for the weekend, we can have 2 days on Abydos."

An eyebrow slowly shot up.

"Did you think that I would refuse?"

1 month later

"So General, you are telling us that we have another war?"

Wells sighed and nodded.

"President Thornton said it was unavoidable, that the communist powers must be crushed before they are able to rise."

"There hasn't been a war since 2190."

"You can't expect the most powerful man in the world to let America live in peace, can you?"

Jack couldn't say anything as he agreed with Wells.

They watched the world fall apart. As they fought on the Colorado front, they saw bombs destroy the place that Sam and jack had once called home. Within a year there was basically nothing left, and yet Thornton fought on until the white house was hit, and he was killed.

"There has to be a way out of this!"

"I don't really see one, Daniel."

Jack shifted position and closed his eyes, only to be shocked awake by the sound of an exploding bomb very close by.

"Sam, how close was that?"

"Close."

She pulled herself up, out of the whole and looked across.

"Jack... there's nothing left!"

Daniel and jack scrambled to the top. Bodies, clothing and equipment littered what used to be a city.

"Jack, there is away out." Her eyes darted to the top of the mountain.

"The Stargate."

The trio slid down the hill and ran for safety as the communist bombs exploded and the troops marched on allied turf.

Daniel dialled the gate in a hurry. The once silent mountain was being bombarded with bombs.

"They might actually destroy it this time."

The gate engaged and they ran through, not looking at the world they left behind and would probably never return to.

"Daniel, where is this?"

"It should be Abydos."

"Ahh, it looks like the gate room." Sam backed down the ramp and turned on her torch.

"I can't see anything."

"It could be an alternate reality?"

"Sorry Daniel, no mirrors."

Sam shone her flashlight on the walls. She stopped as the torch reached the SGC symbol.

"Ok this is weird? I say we go outside."

They took the elevator up to the car park. Empty. High fences that were unpatrolled boarded it. They slipped through a hole in the wire and followed the road down.

An hour later they passed a sign.

"Welcome to Colorado Springs shopping centre."

"Well, we are home."

Daniel stopped walking and stared. He hit Jacks arm.

"What?"

"Look, isn't that you?"

They followed his finger and sure enough, the man in the photograph was putting groceries in a car.

"Excuse me, sir?"

Jack O'Neill knew the voice, but it was different somehow. He turned around.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Samantha Carter, these are my friends, Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neill."

The two Jacks stared at each other.

"What is going on?'

"Colonel, we just came through the Stargate."

"Impossible." He got in the car.

"Where we come from it is the year 7006."

"What is it now?"

"2015"

"Five years after the Stargate was shut down."

He turned on the car. They needed something. Sam looked at the ring on her

finger; she gave it to the colonel.

"Recognise this? I found it in Major Samantha Carter's locker.

The colonel stared at it.

"Get in."

Sam, Jack and Daniel gratefully sipped cups of coffee. Colonel Jack sat down and stared at them.

"Tell me what happened."

Sam put her cup down.

"The first war in thousands of years had just destroyed Colorado, so we fled. We were meant to go to Abydos, but for some reason, we are still on Earth. In the year 2015."

"The gate was supposed to be buried."

"It never was."

Colonel Jack rubbed his forehead.

"So in 7000, there are almost exact doubles of Sg-1 living, and using the Stargate." He stood up. "I can explain the time travel bit. Solar flare."

Sam stood up. "Flare?"

Colonel Jack stared. "Sorry, de ja vu, the increased gravity..."

"Caused by the flare makes a sling shot effect, creating a time vortex. Yet another theory proved correct."

Colonel Jack groaned. "Don't tell me I'm actually smart."

"I had some help. Sam and I went to high school together."

"You knew Sam in high school?"

"Yep."

"And you still joined the air force?"

Sam and Jack shared a look.

"Colonel, things aren't exactly the same where we come from."

"Impossible. There are some things that never change."

Jack kept quiet through all this, Colonel Jack sat down again.

"You can't stay here."

"Why not?"

"I remember Carter saying something about the same people existing in the same space..."

"No we can."

"Daniel?" Jack had his eyebrow raised.

"We aren't the exact doubles of these people, we are ancestors, not replicas."

Colonel Jack thought for a moment.

'Even if you wanted to go back you couldn't."

"Why not?" Daniel didn't like the idea of being stuck there in the past.

"You need another solar flare to send you back. We can't predict them..."

Jack couldn't sleep that night. He got up and wandered to the window. The moon was so bright; it seemed to light up all of Colorado. In the distance was Cheyenne Mountain.

"Can't sleep either?"

Colonel Jack looked at his younger self.

"No."

"How old are you?"

"23"

"I have a scar on my eyebrow that I got form playing ice hockey."

"I've never played ice hockey."

"You have no idea what you are missing,"

It was a strange feeling seeing yourself again, what you looked like 30 years ago, and seeing what you would look like in 30 years time."

"You know Jack, that thing I said about it was always meant to be."

"It is. I never realised it until Daniel read it in Daniel diary, all that stuff about officers be unable to have relations."

"Don't be like me."

Jack sighed.

"Some things are just meant to be."

The next year was spent in Colorado. They enjoyed it all, as this is what it used to be before the communist war. Who could imagine those years after finding peace, they, the government decided to go and even things up a bit with a war.

Jack wished they could have stayed but where would they be if they hadn't left? Dead was the most believable answer.

Daniel was in anthropologist heaven. He got to live on an ancient culture. Colonel Jack often remarked that he was so like Daniel Jackson, seeing the upside in what really was a bad situation. The up aide, of curse, was a chance to study culture.

Sam felt nothing. She was in a strange place that actually was her home. She saw the devastation that her older self had on Colonel Jack, making her think if she was causing the same pain. The problem was, Sam wasn't ready to admit anything just yet. A situation straight out of the movies, but it was true.

But in the movies, the guy or girl, always came around, didn't they?"

Colonel jack stared through a telescope. He remembered what it was like to know that he had been walking out there, on a planet that he didn't recognise.

"Colonel?" Sam climbed up and sat beside him.

"Cater? What are..." He paused and turned. For a brief moment, he thought it was his major.

"Sam"

"Are you retired?"

"Yep." He turned to the telescope.

"What about a girlfriend?"

"No."

"In my life time, records show that you never remarry, but you had the chance."

"What if I don't want too?"

Sam couldn't believe it; Colonel Jack really was in denial.

"And what if you are lying?"

Colonel Jack sighed and sat back from the telescope. He looked at Sam who sat down beside him.

"Sam, I've been lying to myself ever since I met her. Usually I don't think twice about breaking the rules, but something told me that the consequences

unrepairable."

"You wouldn't be breaking the rules now"

"No, I wouldn't."

"Then why are you here, by yourself?"

"I don't know."

He looked through the telescope.

"Afraid of the future."

"You won't live long enough to see the scary stuff. Think about it Jack."

She stood up and climbed down the ladder.

"Sam?" He called down after her.

"You think about it too."

She smiled and stepped inside.

Part 4

BACK TO THE FUTURE

The sun was beginning to filter through the windows. Sam was sleeping peacefully in between Daniel and Jack.

Colonel Jack came in and shook her awake.

"Sam?"

"What?"

"What if you create a gravity device, an artificial one of the sun?"

"You can't." She rolled over.

"But what if I knew someone that did?"

She rolled back over and looked at him. It was obvious that he'd been thinking about his all night.

She shook Jack. "Wake up."

Daniel groaned. "What for?"

"We're leaving."

"Now entering the city of Houston. Makes you feel welcome, doesn't it?"

"Colonel, do you even know where she lives?"

"Yep."

It was late at night when they reached Timber cove. They pulled up at a small but neat looking house. They could see a dim light through the curtains.

Major Sam opened the door.

"Colonel?"

"Hi Carter. Like you to meet Jack, Sam and Daniel. Can we come in?"

It was dawn by the time that they managed to explain everything.

So you want me to create an artificial gravity field, strong enough to mimic the sun, to send all you guys back to the future?"

"Yes."

"I don't even know where to begin with something like that."

Colonel jack stood up.

"Sam,"

She looked at him.

"It's not and order Major."

She smiled as she remembered the first time that they had saved the world.

"I appreciate that colonel, but I'm going."

Colonel jack grinned.

Teal'c had been right. The gate was to be reopened.


Colorado Springs
"You're sure it isn't guarded?"

"Positive."

It was night before thy reached the mountain.

Sam crawled over to jack.

"Have we done the right thing?"

"What do you mean?"

"We've changed history dramatically by reuniting the colonel and Major together."

"How?"

"Remember the US files? They died with no kids, after jack reties they never saw each other again."

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it. You always worry too much."

"Me? What about you? Who didn't wan to be seen with me."

Jack playfully slapped her arm.

"I'm tired, go to sleep."


I year later, 2016
"Ta da, only artificial gravity simulator."

"So tomorrow, we get to go back home."

"Why are we going?"

"Jack, we don't belong here. And we don't have to live here on Earth, we can

live off world."

"Something that I've always wanted to do." Colonel Jack said something that they all felt.

The Stargate engaged. They all looked at each other.

"Hey colonel, Major? Don't let this die, keep the Stargate alive just don't let it become a myth."

"I've already go the ticket to Egypt to go and get Daniel."

As they walked up the ramp to the Stargate. Colonel Jack to Major Sam's hand and put something on her finger. It was the ring.

"You left this in your locker."

"I did, didn't I?"

Sam, Jack and Daniel stepped through the gate, Major Sam flicked on a switch.

Alarms went off as the gravity in the gate room increased.

"Well, it looks like Abydos."

"We won't really know until we find the city."

The trio stood on top of the sand dune. Ecstatic smiles spread across their faces as they recognised the more Abydon city if their time. As they walked into the city they were greeted by old friends."

"There is someone here to see you."

The crowds parted for three to come through.

"I'm Major Johnston with the SGC. I have been instructed to come here and meet you. You are Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill and Samantha carter?"

"Indeed we are." Jack turned to Sam.

"I do believe the Colonel and Sam did something about this thing after we left."

"They said they would."

Johnston smiled. "Come on now, we have to leave. General Clarke will explain every thing when we get back."

"Johnston, do the communists still have power?"

"Actually, Colonel. Communism was wiped out in the 2200's."

"Major Changes."

The universe, although considered a big place, became very small for the 5000 years that it was buried.

Sam Jack and Daniel changed that when they went back in time and helped to reunite SG-1.

Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter found Jackson deep in the Libyan Desert. He was quite surprised to crawl out of his tent one morning to see them sitting out front.

In 2020, the gate was finally reopened. To save money the main base was off world in Abydos.

Jack did go back to work, but as a civilian. His marriage to Sam (much to the disappointment of her father) preventing jack from re enlisting.

The three had left a file on the General's desk explaining that in 7006, Daniel Jackson, Samantha carter and Jack O' Neill would be on Abydos and a team would be need to retrieve them.

Now, in 7007, the Stargate was not an international secret, people knew about it, much to their surprise, it wasn't an international headliner. Apparently people had known about it since 3000.

Back home in Colorado Springs, Sam and jack sat on the veranda, waiting for their parents to arrive.

Daniel had gone to Abydos. Colonel Jack had told him about Sha'uri, so he was off to find her. At least Daniel's parents would be happy about the decision that her had made.

Sam looked at Jack. She could tell that he wanted to stay off world. Deep down, she knew that he wanted too as well.

Why stay on earth when you can live somewhere that was previously untouchable to them?

The moon was high in the sky. It was clear and luminous, lighting up the whole sky.

"You want to live off world don't you jack?"

"Yes I do."

"Why don't you?"

"Don't know. Things keeping me here."

"If you really want to go you can. I can come and visit."

He turned to look at her. "You would?"

"Sure. Why not?"

They shared a smile.

They stood in front of the event horizon.

Jack smiled at Sam and they exchanged a hug, he then stepped through the gate.

The gate room darkened as the gate shutdown and life went on as normal.

Sam turned away and walked down the ramp and through the doors.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Amber