Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Dreams Can Come True

by Ali
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Dream Can Come True

Dreams Can Come True

by Ali

TITLE: Dreams Can Come True
AUTHOR: Ali
EMAIL: Ali_the_Animal@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Angst, Romance, Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: 100 days,
SEASON / SEQUEL: 2ndstory in a three-parter sequel. 1. Forgiveness, 2. Never Say Never
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS:
SUMMARY: Jack takes Sam to the base dance. Dreams come true and so do nightmares.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Sam looked in the full-length mirror in her bedroom. She was wearing a long, red, satin dress. It had a low v-neck, and a low v-back. Red Sequins that ran down the neck and back glinted in the soft light; and slits running up the side that showed a large expanse of her long legs. It made her look slim and very feminine. She felt like a girl. The dress fitted in all the right places. She smiled. On Thursday she had finally got through to Jack. He had sounded distant and slow, like he was recovering from a hangover. She hoped he was all right. After telling him she had been a stupid person, yada yada yada, she asked him to the Dance. He had laughed and told her that it ought to be the other way round. Sam smiled at the memory. Jack O'Neill was back. He was picking her up in about half an hour she realised and quickly re did her make-up and then fixed her hair. Slipping on strappy black heels she glanced again in the mirror.

"Jack O'Neill, you are going to have a heart attack." She

whispered. Maybe he would notice she was a woman, now she wasn't dressed in fatigues and if so, what he'd been missing for all this time.

Sam's dad, Jacob/Selmac was visiting for the day and he was waiting downstairs for his daughter to get ready. The doorbell rang and he let Jack in. He was bang on time, but his little girl was running late.

"I'll be down in a minute." She called.

"So Jack, What are you drinking?"

"I'll have a small brandy, thanks Sir." The two men talked for a while. Jack felt a little uncomfortable; to him Jacob was a controlled goa'uld, but a goa'uld all the same. The things he hated and killed whenever SG-1 came across them on their missions. Never the less, he was Sam's dad so he still respected him. It was totally weird when the guy changed to someone different who looked exactly the same. There was a motion at the staircase and Sam entered the room.

"Holy Hannah, Sammie. Are you trying to give your dad a heart attack? You look very beautiful, baby. He kissed her on the cheek. "Have a nice time." Sam glanced over at Jack from under her lashes. He was recovering from what looked like a minor heart attack. She smiled slightly at the thought she could have that affect on a man, let alone her CO.

Jack stared at Sam. She was stunning, literally. She had done her hair in a way he had never seen before. The front bits were twisted back with small butterfly clips, leaving a few wisps framing her face. That dress was very, uh, revealing. What was he supposed to think?

They walked to the car in silence after Carter had said goodbye to her father who was returning back through the Stargate to the Tok'ra in an hour. She felt a little sad, but knew she would see him sooner or later. Jack opened the door for her like the gentleman he was, and they drove to the hall. The car radio came to life when he started the engine and Sam hummed along to a tune absent-mindedly. She settled back for the ride, glancing sometimes over at Jack when he wasn't looking. He looked what her mom would have said, rather dashing, in a black suit, blue shirt and black tie. He was concentrating on his driving, his fingers tapping lightly on the wheel.

"You do you know." He said, making her jump.

"What?"

"Look very beautiful tonight." Sam glowed at his words.

"You don't look too bad yourself." She commented.

"I thought a white shirt with a black suit and tie might look a bit FBI." She giggled softly. They pulled into the parking lot, but neither of them made a move to get out. Jack blurted the troublesome sentence he had been trying to compose. 'Way to go O'Neill'.

"Sam, you know how sorry I am about everything that's happened this past year don't you. There must be times when you wished you had never met me." He shuddered.

"I forgive you Jack. That goes without question. And I never wished I hadn't met you. You're my best friend." He smiled, then laughed shaking his head.

"What?" His laugh was contagious and soon she was giggling too.

"You called me Jack."

"Oops, Sorry Sir, it won't happen again." Sam stopped laughing.

"No, no, no, I mean I like it." He stroked her cheek with his fingers. "I like it a lot."

"We better go in." Sighing, Jack dropped his hand. It didn't seem to go further than small touches, but he was glad they shared something he could call theirs to keep. It had been a long week. With Sara and Sam it had been quite emotional. Finally realising he was in love with Sam; all he had to do was tell her.

"So are you sure you're okay with everything? One day I might even tell you a secret Carter. Beware." He chuckled.

"I'll look forward to it." She flashed him a high voltage smile that she knew he liked. "And this year is totally behind us."

"Oh and thank you for re-writing the laws of Physics to get me home, greatly appreciated." He said half jokingly, but his tone changed to deadly serious. "All the time I was on Edora, all I could think about was you."

"Thanks Jack. It means a lot that you said that." She whispered. Working herself raw for 100 days to get him home, then seeing him ask Laira to come back with him had been like a knee in the gut. He did a double take. She was staring at her lap. Did she know? He decided to give her a hint.

"Well you mean a lot to me Sam." She blushed. He opened his door, and got out, but he didn't miss Carter's last words,

"You mean a lot to me too Jack." They walked into the hall together. He sub-consciously guided her through the door, by putting a hand on her back. It felt natural. The crowd hushed as they entered. Sam looked around, frowning slightly.

"What are they looking at?" She turned to Jack. "Have I got something on my face?"

"Uh-huh. The sweetest smile I've ever seen." He was enjoying this moment. Something that had never happened in high school. He had walked into a Dance and he had the most beautiful woman in the room on his arm.

"No Jack, really." He assured her she looked fine. She glanced around hurriedly. She saw Janet, or someone who liked like Janet on the other side of the room. Sam tapped Jack on the forearm, who was looking very pleased with himself and motioned over to their friend. Jack nodded. They were receiving quite a few funny looks and points, but it only made him chuckle. The SGC was a rumour ran establishment. From time to time he heard what was going down the grapevine, things about Colonel O'Neill and his 2IC, they were secretly in love. 'Not far from the truth' he thought. This was like adding water to an oil fire. He put his arm around Sam's waist and heard a woman soldier gasp next to him.

Janet came running up. She looked pretty damned good herself. Her hair was up, with strands twisting down. She was wearing a small black dress and a huge smile.

"Sam!"

"Hi Janet. Is Daniel around?"

"Yeah, he's this way." As they walked to a nearby table, Janet whispered into her ear, "You have to tell me where you got that dress. The Colonel looks like he's about to bust something."

"Janet!"

"It's true." Her other best friend replied simply. They all sat down. Teal'c was still off world for another two days, so it was just the four of them. Jack got drinks and nibbles for everyone, the first time. They were a bit more surprised when he topped them up another three times. While he was gone, Daniel hissed,

"Sam, What are you doing to him? Whatever it is, don't stop, okay? I haven't seen this happy and so easy with his money for, for.... Well ever."

"I haven't done anything Daniel." Sam scowled. She couldn't see Jack at the bar. Then she saw him talking to a woman and another man. A pang shot through her chest. Sara and Makepeace. 'He's not mine.' She chanted in her head, but it spun with jealousy when she saw Jack and Sara start to dance. Jack had once told her he only danced on rare occasions, and the woman had to be very close to him. She didn't know why she was feeling like this, but she did. Obviously the effect she was having on him wasn't enough. 'Stop it Sam!'

Captain Cole, who had just transferred last week, a man who had an annoying crush on her, came and sat in an empty seat. He scooted closer to her. Sam tensed slightly and tried to think of a way to let him down gently when she told him she wasn't interested. The Captain started in the conversation that Daniel and Janet had begun. He started to stroke Sam's fingers as well. Carter frowned; she didn't particuly like him doing that. She fingered her glass of champagne, drowning it in one go. Sam looked back at Jack and Sara dancing. Jack had never danced with her. He was holding Sara close; Jack hadn't held her like that.

"So Cole, are you having a good time?"

"I am now." She shuddered. Cole filled her glass up again. He hadn't made enough friends yet for them to tell him that Major Sam Carter only had eyes for her CO. "What about you?"

"Yeah sure." Sam smiled, and she hoped it reached her eyes. Cole stopped stroking her fingers and she felt his hand on her thigh. That was so enough.

"Excuse me. I'm just going to find where the bathroom is."

The Colonel finished his dance with Sara. It had been special, but they were over. He couldn't see Sam anywhere, so he sat down at the table next to Makepeace. He needed to get a couple of things straight.

"So Bob. How long have you been seeing Sara?"

"A couple of months." He stared straight ahead, Jack's voice turned low and dangerous.

"You know that if you hurt her I will beat you within an inch of your life don't you." Makepeace looked unfazed. He answered in exactly the same tone.

"You know that if you hurt Sam, I will beat the crap out of you right?" Jack was completely taken aback. After a pause,

"Right, I'm glad we finally agree on something." The two men sipped their drinks.

After Sam finished staring into the mirror, she walked back out into the hall. She looked at the table and saw that Sara had taken her seat. Sam stopped. The group was laughing loudly. She noticed Captain Cole. He was watching her intently, and visibly awed by her appearance. There wasn't a seat left at the table with Makepeace there as well. Jack looked relaxed and comfortable sitting next to Sara. 'He hasn't even noticed I'm not there.' With a slight case of panic, Sam tried to think of some where else she could go, not wanting to return to the table. She tried to tell herself she didn't feel anything like jealously or envious. Sara had shared years with Jack in a close relationship, they hadn't just been friends, they had been lovers. She wanted to feel that. She wanted to wake up in the morning and not feel lonely, because Jack O'Neill was there. She wanted to know what it was like for him to put his arms around you. She knew he cared for her more than he was supposed to, but that had been some time ago. She wondered if it had turned into a brotherly love for her.

Janet was looking at her, waving her over. Jack was still talking to Sara, leaning closer to her so he could hear her

over the music. Sam was suddenly aware her hands were shaking, and she clasped them together to steady them. She realised with horror, she was totally and utterly jealous.

"Dance?" A voice said in her ear. Captain Cole held out his hand to her.

"Please," She nodded. Cole put his arms around the striking woman who seemed to have cast a spell on him without knowing it. Sam smiled and nodded mechanically at his small talk, but her eyes strayed to the table. Sara looked quite settled and there to stay. The annoying thing was she probably didn't realise what she was doing. Jack poured her another glass of champagne and she raised her glass to his in an intimate toast.

"Something the matter?" Cole asked her.

"No. Nothing."

"Then relax Carter, you're a little stiff." She put her arms further round his neck, but held back bit still. It wasn't her nature to lead people on, but she did feel, what's the word? Miserable at the moment.

"That's better." Despite herself, Sam began to flirt with him. She was determined that as long as Sara sat in her chair, she wouldn't be going back to the table. If need be, she would stay like that for the rest of the evening, and her partner wasn't that bad. The music became slower and he pulled her closer. She sighed, close enough; she wasn't going any further. She couldn't see Jack any more and felt even more annoyed with herself.

Then suddenly she felt her shoulder being grabbed from behind, and before she knew what was happening, Jack was holding her in his strong arms. Cole started to protest.

"Sorry, man." Jack said, "My wife has reserved this one for me." Sam gasped and then giggled. Cole turned away, more than a little embarrassed. One of Sam's favourite songs started.

"He's going to find out soon that we're not even together."

"Probably, the way people talk around here." She felt his hand move across her back and pull her closer, and unable to resist, Carter melted her body against his. Her arms clasped around his neck, as she rested her head on his shoulder. They swayed slowly to the music.

They can come true

Baby step closer, you know that I want you

And I can tell by your eyes that you want me to.

Just a question of time,

I knew we'd be together, and that's you be mine.

I want you here forever, do you hear what I'm saying

Gotta say how I feel

I can't believe you're here,
But I know that you're real

I know what I want, and baby it's you

Counting on my feelings, because they are true
"I love this song." Her voice was muffled against his shoulder.

Dreams can come true

Look here baby, I'm here with you

You know you've got to hang on

You know you've got to be strong.

Dreams can come true.

There were fewer dancers on the floor now, but Jack and Sam were barely moving. Janet and Daniel noticed this, as well as the rest of the room.

I've seen you sometimes,

On your own ending

I knew I had to have you my whole damn life

Now you're by my side

And I feel so good

Got nothing to hide, I feel like I never could

Do you hear what I'm saying?

Gotta say how I feel

I can't believe you're hear,

But I know that you're real

I know what I want

And baby, it's you

I can't hide my feelings

Because they are true

Dreams can come true, look here baby, I'm with you

You know you've got to hang on,

You know you've got to be strong.

Dreams can come true.

Sam lifted her head off Jack's shoulder and looked into his eyes. They didn't speak, but they didn't pull away from each other.

I don't care about tomorrow, I here for tonight

I know I want you baby, so hold me so tight

Put you're arms around me,

You make me feel so safe

Then you whisper in my ear, that you're here to stay

Dreams can come true.

"Can I but in?" A young marine said behind them. Sam looked at him in dismay.

"No." Jack said simply. Sam giggled again, while he gave a lazy smile. He noticed her eyes darting around the room.

"Are you looking for anyone in particular?" Carter snapped back to him.

"No," She said. "A least, uh.... Where's Sara?.... I just wondered, wouldn't she mind, you dancing with me for so long?" Jack laughed.

"I doubt it. Why, should she?" He said playing along. So the Major was jealous was she? Mission accomplished. He gave him the courage to go through with it.

"I don't know, you tell me." She suddenly found something very interesting on the floor to look at.

"Sam. Sara's getting remarried."

"She is?"

"Yep, that's why she came here, to sort out our tattered ending. Sara doesn't really like loose ends."

"Oh yeah, I was going to ask you about that. How does she know about the SGC? How did she get in?"

"I sneaked her in."

"No, I mean when she came to see me on Tuesday." He looked surprised.

"Sara came to see you?"

"Yeah, she told me some stuff...." She smiled. It made better sense now. "You haven't told me about how she knows about the SGC."

"Sam, look over there." He pointed to the table where they had sat, what seemed like more than the few hours ago. Sara was sitting on Bob Makepeace's lap, her arms around his neck.

"Oh." It all fell into place. Then Sam suddenly registered,

"Bob Makepeace!" She nearly shouted. He laughed again.

"That was exactly my response." She blushed slightly.

"I understand now." The laughter fell off his face.

"Do you Sam? Do you really? I don't think you do." They were so close to each other, there wasn't a space between their bodies. Whenever she talked, Sam's lips were only inches from his.

"I'm sorry about the way I reacted before. I was stupid and rude, I apologise." She shook her head. "I forget sometimes that we're not a couple." His eyes danced.

"We could be." Sam snorted.

"Yeah, in an alternate reality. Oh wait, we're already together in an alternate reality."

"I know what you mean. Sometimes when I see you with other men that are just you're friends, I feel like punching their lights out."

"Really?" She was surprised.

"Uh-huh. The green eyed monster comes out of its shell." She snuggled even closer if that was possible and smiled again.

"That's why I was a bit rash when you came to the lab. My head was playing tricks with me, I thought you were coming to tell me you were getting back with Sara." It was his turn to be surprised.

"In the space of two hours?"

"I have an imaginative brain, okay."

"There is not even a possibility of Sara and I starting another intimate relationship. We did too much damage to one another. But Sam, I'm not in love with Sara."

"Are you implying you're in love with someone else?" He nodded. Her heart sank and rose at the same time. Was it possible that he was talking about her? Jack's pulse began to race.

"Yep." He smiled. She knew now it was her now, by the glint in his eyes. They way they looked her, emotion catching in her throat.

"Who?" She asked in an innocent, child like voice. She was going to make him say it. He could feel her heart beat faster, they were so close.

"I think you know her vaguely. And Sam, you know I told you I was going to tell you a secret soon?"

"Mmmm?" She glanced at his chest. He caught her chin in his fingers, and lifted it so their lips were centimetres apart.

"I will....soon. So I was wondering if uh, you, wanted to, umm, go out with me sometime? Just the two of us for a change." He said the last part in a hurried voice. The feeling that washed through her body was complete ecstasy. She shivered, causing him to wrap his arms around hers, to keep the bare flesh warm. He was getting worried, Sam hadn't replied, had he gone too far tonight? Was it going too fast?

"Say something Carter."

"I can't." She choked.

"Why not?"

"Because if I'll do, I'll wake up in my bed at home, and it'll all have been another dream."

"Dreams come true Samantha." She liked it when he called her by her full name; it made her feel special.

"Okay." He visibly deflated. Relief rushing through his body.

"Glad to hear it, you had me wondering there for a second, I thought you were going to run shrieking to Hammond."

He kissed her on the forehead, wishing it could be more, but he suddenly remembered he was in a hall, surrounded by military personnel. They had stopped dancing some time ago and people were throwing them amused looks again. Jack laughed. He liked the feel of Sam's body next to his.

They stayed like that for a few more dances, cheek to cheek, in a happy contentness, then returned back to the table. Their chairs were noticeably together. Sam felt embarrassed at the curious looks from Daniel and Janet, but Jack eased her by putting his arm around the back of her chair, essentially around her shoulders. Daniel sensed something had snapped between the pair, and he gave himself the teasing right, as he was their team-mate.

"So Jack. I spoke to you on Wednesday night. You sounded a bit off. Any particular reason you were drinking yourself stupid then?" Jack scowled at him, promising himself he would get Danny back for that one.

"I wasn't actually drinking Daniel."

"No? You sounded a bit depressed."

"Nah, I was having withdrawal symptoms." Sam shook her head.

"I didn't know you took medication."

"Did I say I was taking drugs? Well on second thoughts, maybe I am."

"Colonel what are you taking?" Janet showed the Doctor side of her.

"It's called the Carter-stimulant. Have you guys heard of that? Does wonders for your health." He shook his head in mock appraise. Janet giggled and Sam's face turned the same colour as her dress.

"And are there any side affects, Colonel?" Janet played along.

"Several, one big one though." He looked directly at Sam, "When you forget to take it for a couple of days, your world falls apart."

"Ahhhh, that's cute Jack." Janet had had more than her fair share of champagne. She elbowed Daniel in the ribs.

"You never say anything to me like that."

"I didn't know we were at the whisperings sweet nothings stage."

"I'm telling you now we are." Janet tried to stop herself from slurring.

"Okay. Let's go home Janet." The two got up from the table, Daniel supporting her, and as they walked away, Sam saw him whispering into her ear, and Janet giggling with a soft glint in her eyes.

"So girlfriend, You want to go? It sort of seems to be over."

"Okay." As Sam got up her head spun and she had to sit down too.

"Ohh, my head." She gasped. Jack took her arm.

"Sam, how much have you drunk?"

"Umm, not much? A teeny bit of champagne." Was all she could muster. The adrenaline rush of having been in Jack arms for so long was catching up on her. He sighed. Sam could easily drink and it not have such an affect on her, but tonight she must have drunk a hell of a lot more. "I don't feel so good."

"Alright, you're coming home with me."

"No, I'll be alright Sir. Really."

"Yeah Carter, and look over there, it's a flying pig." He said dryly.

"But I don't have any things with me."

"I'll lend you a shirt." The offer was so tempting. And he was after all, officially her boyfriend now.

"'Kay."

When the car pulled up at Jack's house, Sam was holding her head in her hands. Her magic red dress was a bit crumpled, but it could still pass off as looking good. Jack picked her up, and carried her into the guest bedroom, he wasn't about to try anything, they hadn't even kissed yet, and walked away. After a few minutes he padded back with a T-shirt, sweat pants and a mug of steaming coffee.

Sam was lying on the bed, dozing softly. He stopped a second to look at her. She was gorgeous. Jack went over to the bed, shredding his jacket and tie. He still couldn't believe the last week. Sara, and then Sam giving him the chance to ask her for a date. He had never had so much trouble over those six words. This woman, lying on his spare bed, could reduce Colonel O'Neill of the United States Airforce into a stammering idiot. Carefully he lifted her up and undid the zip on the back of her dress, it had been showing a large expanse of her thigh, and he knew if he didn't get her into something less revealing soon, she would be jumped. He sat behind Sam, propping her up with his chest and gently pulled the straps over her shoulders. Honey soft skin greeted his hands.

"Oh God". He cursed out loud. She wasn't wearing a bra. Quickly he pushed the tee over her head. His hands began to shake. 'Control yourself, you fool.' He scolded himself. Sam mumbled something he didn't catch.

"Huh?" He asked.

"Your fingers are cold." He felt her laughing against his chest.

"I thought you were asleep Major."

"No, just pretending." She turned around so she was facing him.

"Jack I..." She couldn't finish her sentence, his mouth was on hers. Whatever Sam had thought kissing Jack O'Neill would be like, it hadn't been as good as this. Her CO definitely knew how to kiss a woman. She shivered in his arms. He tasted like coffee and.... Chocolate? Sam pulled away.

"Have you got any chocolate left?" He laughed and pulled out a wedge of the milky goodness from his pocket. Her eyes widened.

"That's my favourite!"

"I know."

"Jack, give me some?" She noticed the wicked look on his face. "What are you up to?" 'Oh so that's how we're going to play it?' She didn't feel ill anymore, must have been a passing thing; and a handsome man, with a handsome looking piece of chocolate had started to undress her. In a flash he was pinned down on the bed, their ribs catching each other's through thin material. She was kissing him passionately, and he was returning it with equal power. His hands dropped the chocolate and wound their way round her waist and back. Straddling him, Carter leaned back, and just started at his face. She suddenly smiled and lashed out with her arm, but he was too quick and he grabbed the chocolate first.

"Damn." She muttered. He started to trace tiny patterns on her legs. Sam still had half the dress on, and it still showed a lot of her legs. "Are you a leg man, then Colonel?"

"I am indeed." She chuckled.

"I have to get my shoes off, they're killing me." They had another heavy bought of kissing, and a heavier bought of touching followed. The rest of the dress came off almost immediately.

"I want to know every part of you off by heart." She ran her hands over his back, enjoying the feeling of the muscle that rippled under her fingers.

"I love kissing you." She said dreamily.

"I love kissing you too." The air in the room was charged, and it coursed with energy as they explored each other's bodies. It was the most erotic moment of Sam's life, because that's all they did, touch and caress. He stole into her senses, and her heart was too full to speak. She had never felt to beautiful as she did then. It felt so right.

Some time later, Sam lay in Jack's arms. Their legs were entwined with the others. He was stroking her hair, combing out the twists she had but in earlier that night. They hadn't gone any further than touching, but he wasn't disappointed, just having her there was enough. Jack felt for the first time in ages, complete.

"I can't believe you're mine right now." She poked him in the ribs.

"Call me your girlfriend again." He laughed softly.

"Samantha Carter's my girlfriend, the most intelligent woman in the world is my girlfriend, hey you see that woman over there with the gorgeous smile, that's my girlfriend Sam." He chanted and he kissed the back of her neck.

"Oh don't stop stroking my hair, I'm nearly asleep."

"God, I can see you're going to be demanding." He joked. She closed her eyes again, but Jack didn't miss the mumbled words,

"I was always yours Jack, you just didn't realise it."

It might have been the feel of Jack's arm around her bare waist or the fact that Jack was there on the bed next to her body, his form surrounding hers; that woke Sam up. A weak, watery light shone through the window at a gap in the curtain. She glanced at the clock. 0800 hours. She snuggled deeper into the blankets, smiling slightly. So this was what it was like to wake up with Jack O'Neill. She felt her body humming, her fingers tingling where she was touching him. Glancing over at her CO, a smidgen of guilt flickered in her mind. She was military, and she had broken the rules. Hell Samantha Carter had probably never broken a rule in all of her career, not big ones anyway. She pushed the thought away, if it came to it, she would transfer so she wasn't in his command anymore. Sam moved her hands over his at her waist and gently unclasped them. When you gotta go, you gotta go. She slipped out of the rumpled bed and put on his shirt from the night before. Jack might have found out where her mole was, but she wasn't going to walk around bare but naked. The shirt covered her well. It smelt of him and a small hint of cologne. She breathed in and looked back at the sleeping man. He looked ten years younger and she wondered if it had anything to do with Sara forgiving him. In the early hours of the morning, they had both awoken and spent along time just talking in candlelight. Jack had got up and lit about 30 all around the room, very romantic. So they had talked. About everything and nothing. Really opened up. Sam had felt all the tension of the past months after Edora slip away. She had told him things about her he didn't know. About her mom, her life before the SGC program had set up; and how she had felt betrayed and alone after Laira. Jack had apologised for hurting her. He had told her about Charlie and they way Sam had changed him into a better man.

After using the facilities, Sam wondered for a bit, looking at pictures on the walls and in frames on various surfaces. She was surprised at how clean the house was, a little cluttered maybe, but clean all the same. This man, who made her feel so special, was more sensitive than Sam could have imagined. The rooms were all masculine, but looking closer she could see little objects that were typically Jack. The house was full of these small tokens, things that meant a lot to him. Sam noticed with delight he had kept things they had shared or obviously reminded him of her. Like cinema ticket stubs from going to see various movies. An earring of hers was pinned on his notice board; a beer cap with a message she had scratched in it, as a joke. Then there was stuff of hers, a hairbrush and a couple of her CD's. Sam's eyes caught on a picture on his desk. It was of SG-1, off duty. She remembered that night.

In a bar, a booth at the back of the joint they had sat. Jack had been cracking jokes all night, keeping her in stitches as normal. Janet had insisted to take a photo of them. So there was Teal'c, one eyebrow raised, the usual impassive look on his face. Daniel, looking slightly merry, that guy could never hold his alcohol; smiling. Jack had had to lean in very close to get in the picture. He had whispered in her ear something with the words Teal'c and clown in the same sentence. Of course as soon as he had said that she had imagined Teal'c with massive red lips, halfway up his cheeks; and huge eyebrows and a white face. So when Janet had taken the picture, Sam had had one of her high voltage smiles on, her eyes glittering with some tears that had formed from laughing so much.

Sam looked at the books he owned. They ranged from manuals to war stories and sports magazines. She picked up an interesting looking one from the shelf. Flicking through the pages a piece of paper fell out. She bent to retrieve it and did a double take. It was another picture. But it was of her and Jack alone. She couldn't remember who had taken it, racking her brains to think of when it had been shot.

The control room was dark. As Jack stepped inside he saw the outline of his Major. She was sitting at a computer, typing slowly. He walked quietly up to her and swung the chair round in one swift motion. Yelping Sam did her best to glare at him. It was very difficult. A young Lieutenant came running in.

"Hey guys! We're taking photos to put on the mess hall menu board." It was a question, rather than a statement.

"Sure." Carter said. Jack took of his hat and went round to the back of her chair.

"You're going to have to get closer than that." The Lieutenant smirked. So Jack had ran his arms down the chairs, his chin resting on its back. His mouth was close to her hair. The soldier took a picture then ran off, shouting blurred thanks. A moment later they heard him asking two more officers for a picture. Laughing Jack and Sam had carried on working, at least she had.

Sam had forgotten about that picture. She looked at it in her hands. It wasn't bad, if she might say so herself. Sam put the photo back in the book, placing the novel, named, The beloved, back in it's place. She walked into the kitchen. It was coming up to 0900 hours. What day was it? Sunday. "0900 hours." She said out loud. Something was nagging her. Suddenly she clapped her hands to her forehead.

"Doh!" Sam was supposed to be meeting Daniel in an hour at her house. They were going over a translation they had been working on Friday. Panicking a bit she looked wildly around. No clothes. No car. She walked swiftly back to the guestroom where they had spent the night. Jack was still asleep; his face was so contented she didn't want to wake him. So she rifled through his draws in his bedroom and grabbed a pair of sweat pants and pulled them on. They were miles too big so she rolled the ends up and waist down. Taking a pen and paper, she hastily scribbled a message for Jack.

Jack,
I had to go, I'm meeting Danny at my house at 10. It's now 0900 hours. Sorry about taking your car, I didn't want to wake you. I've but the coffee on. Also I took a pair of your pants.
Sam stopped and chewed on the pen, it sounded distant and impersonal, so she added at the end,

And Jack, last night? No regrets.

See you soon,

Love,

Your favourite Major.

XXXXX

She placed the envelope on the pillow next to his head, kissed him on the forehead and took his keys; tapping the coffee machine on as she left.

Jack woke slowly. He reached out for Carter, but all his hand touched was paper. Suddenly he leapt up. She had gone. He closed his eyes and said a silent prayer that she hadn't only gone through last night because she was afraid of loosing her career. He opened the letter and read it about ten times. It was short and logical, just like Sam's usual style. Her dress lay in a heap on the floor. He caught it up and hung it on a hanger, to get the creases out. Then he picked up the phone.

Daniel was gathering up his things. They had finished the text and he was on his way to Janet's. Sam had been happier than her usual chirpy self; her eyes shined with something, he couldn't quite see what it was, but it wasn't something he had seen in them for a hell of a long time. She even remained in a good mood after a whole hour on the same sentence. On closer questioning all he got was

"What, can't Sam be in a good mood for a whole morning?"

To which he replied under his breath,

"Not this good." Sam was seeing him out when the phone rang. The machine took the call, he didn't want to listen, but you can't turn your ears off. It was Jack's voice.

"Hey Samantha, it's me. Your either not in, in the shower or garden, or avoiding me or something. I got your note..." Sam gasped and steered Daniel out the door. Daniel tried to stall, since when had Jack started calling Sam Samantha?; but she had him out the door, and with a quick goodbye, it closed behind her. He leaned on the frame, how can you stop eavesdropping when it sounds so good? He heard Sam hurrying over to the phone, grabbing it up,

"Jack, I'm here." Daniel started laughing. So it was Jack now was it? "Yeah, Daniel's just gone home. He heard...." A pause, then laughter. "Yep, last night was great." Daniel eyes widened. "No, come now, and you're going to have to walk Colonel, sir.... Okay. See you in about ten. Bye." He heard her cradle the phone and then start to rush around. Daniel walked away, whistling a slow long note. Janet was not going to believe this.

The week had been hectic. Jack and Sam caught every moment that passed their way. They were taking it slowly, although they both wanted it to go further. In private moments, the furthest they got was touching, and Sam felt closer to him than she had to anyone ever before. It was good to know he wasn't in it just for sex. It would happen when the timing was right. He took her out every night, sometimes Daniel and Teal'c came, but most of the time it was just them. They had been on two missions that week, both boring in the way of it was sample taking, and they hadn't encountered any natives. Their professional relationship stayed the same to every one else, but some things did give people hints. Jack had put his hand on her back when walking through the wormhole. Their eyes lingered on each other for longer than normal. Both the Colonel and his 2IC were much happier. He looked like a much younger man, her influence giving him new energy. Captain Cole noticed this, General Hammond noticed this. And as SG-1 walked through the Stargate on their next mission, he ordered his secretary to get him the President on the phone.

Teal'c was the first out of the wormhole, then Daniel, followed by Sam and Jack. The planet was hot, the sun baking on their backs immediately. Jack positioned his shades on his nose.

"Okay campers, let's move out." He nodded and his team stepped down the steps. It trees, trees, and trees in all directions. 'No change there then.' Daniel gasped and practically ran over to a stone table.

"What is it Danny boy?"

"This." Daniel whispered. "This is amazing." He fingered the slabs with wonder.

"Yeah, I can see that. Slabs of rock. I mean, Please Daniel anyone can see if they had put it over on the bit of flat land it would be standing straighter." Teal's looked at him. "What? It's badly put." Sam walked over to the table. The rock was engraved with a language she had never seen before.

"What is that?"

"I'm not sure, it looks almost... Nah, it couldn't be."

"Still not amazed." The Colonel said dryly. Soon Sam and Daniel were in deep conversation. Daniel took photos from different angles, as the slabs would be far to heavy to take back through the Stargate. Teal'c was watching the horizon on the left, Jack on the right.

"Teal'c come here a sec." He waved the Jaffa over. "What does that look like to you?" He pointed to a black spec in the distance. Teal'c had brilliant eyesight.

"I believe it is a group of people O'Neill."

"Good or bad?"

"The distance is to great to judge correctly, but it would be wise to be on guard."

"Right you are." The spec was getting bigger every second. They were potential allies, but Jack was uneasy. "I think we should go and meet them." Teal'c inclined his head.

"I agree we should move from here. It is too open, and there is very little cover if they were to attack or show violent tendencies." Although Daniel moaned at Jack's order, he obeyed. The intriguing table would be there when they got back. They marched for a while, weapons at the ready. The Stargate was only just still within sight when the two groups met. Jack nodded to the assembly that greeted them. It consisted of about 20 heavily built men, each with their own equivalent of an American machine gun. He coughed loudly, a signal they had sorted out as a sign to be ready for a fight if need be.

"Hi, uh, We come in peace." He said lamely. Jack was never any good at this part. The men stared at him, and looked very aggressive. Sam took over.

"We are explorers from earth. We come to different planets, and become friends with the inhabitants." Jack had to stifle a snort. How many times had that not happened? "Do you know of the Tau'ri?" One of the men grunted in reply. Suddenly all of them drew up their guns and took aim.

"Hey, hey hey! What are you doing? We haven't done anything yet." The Colonel shouted, all sarcasm escaping his tone for a moment.

"You come bearing weapons. How dare you enter our world with no offerings."

"Damn, I knew there was something I forgot." He drawled. "Now why don't you put those nasty things down and we can have a chat." He put one hand behind his back and gave a quick signal that his team understood. Ready to run and cover.

"Put your hands up where we can see them."

"Look, we're not here to hurt anybody." Carter was getting nervous. Half of the men were looking her up and down as if she was a piece of meat. She edged closer to her CO. Just being next to him gave her some confidence, she knew he would protect her. She wasn't afraid of the guns, she was afraid of what the men would do if they were taken prisoner and put in different cells. They were an advanced people, that was for sure. She gripped her weapon tighter. 20 against 4. She calculated the odds. That's five heavy muscly men, who looked like star footie players, each.

"I care not if you are Tau'ri. We are not afraid of your race. If you are not here to hurt anybody, why did you bring those weapons?"

"Self defence, in case we come across big, ugly men with big ugly guns." Jack thought adding 'Duh.' On the end might be a bit much.

"I do not believe you."

"Why not?"

"You serve your cause with a Jaffa. We do not agree with such co-ersions. You are not to be trusted with such an alloy." Jack tutted.

"Now that's just being racist." There was little point explaining Teal'c was a good jaffa, they had no proof. He stopped Teal'c from saying his speech about serving Apophis, yada, yada, yada. "So, we'll just be leaving then." He swung round.

"You are not going anywhere." The appeared to be leader said.

"Look, we didn't know we were meant to bring an offering. We're sorry we offended you. Isn't there any way we could sort this out with out using violence?" Good old Daniel, always the one who wanted to be friends.

"We do not trust travellers through the Big Circle. They cause us pain and harm our planet. There is no reason you are not the same as others who have come."

"Then what are you saying? You're going to try and take us prisoners?"

"We will." He said simply.

"You're being slightly arrogant, don't ya think?"

"Our tribe out numbers you by many, and our fire arms are bigger in size and strength."

"That's a good point." The guns were still pointed directly at them. It was a no win situation. The greatest hope was to stall as long as possible. "Say we did accompany you too where you live, what are you going to do when we get there?" Jack said cautiously, weighing up different scenarios they could take.

"You will be offered as sacrifices to Haskahak, praise be upon him. He is pleased with strong and able souls and will reward us well when the time comes for new life to start."

"Sacrificing. That's an interesting choice of wording. What does that procedure involve exactly?" Jack squinted.

"If you wish to know the details... The soul is cleansed, in several ways. The heart must be pure, or the body is rejected. It is a great honour to be given to Haskahak, praise be upon him, he devours your life; and you live on through his being. If he is not pleased still, the soul is damned to eternal torment in Urba." At that point, one of the other thugs whispered to the leader, grinning a toothless smile. Sam shuddered. After a hurrying of words the main thug turned back to them. "A request, it seems. Your lives will be given back. Zarius, my son has suggested a reasonable bargain. The woman who accompanies you will stay, and you may go home and not return. She will prove a worthy wife, if indeed Tau'ri."

"S'exuse me?" Jack's eyes went out on stalks.

"That is your answer?"

"Wait, that was my shocked voice." The Colonel paused, then, "I don't think, no way in hell, is a strong enough phrase."

"I am confused. A woman is of small value. This is a very gracious offer."

"Well actually, Sir," Daniel stammered. "Women hold large importance on earth. In some countries they rule over millions of people."

"I see. This woman, is more important to you than the lives of two men and a Jaffa?" He scowled. "I begin to think you are unworthy of sacrifice."

"That's great, Daniel talk more." Jack enthused.

"Obviously, you are of low intelligence, it would be better to kill you here." The main thug continued.

"Daniel shut up and don't speak again." Jack was beginning to get worried.

"This woman is ours to..." He was cut off by Sam.

"Hey! This woman is still here you know!" Everyone looked at her. "That was my girl power piece." She bit out. The strain of the situation was showing. They were getting nowhere.

"And anyways," Jack carried on, his voice growing louder. "Carter isn't yours, and she never will be. Okay? She's mine and no one, I repeat no one is taking her anywhere." This stunned the footie players for all of five seconds.

"Uh Sir?"

"Yes Carter?"

"It doesn't sound too bad a life here." He stared at her, catching the theme without an eye blink. Communication between the two officers of SG-1 was rarely needed. They were in sync completely. Mind, body and now, soul. Jack looked back at main thug.

"Let me talk the offer over with my second in command." The thug guy nodded. As Sam and Jack met, they whispered the plan both had thought up separately, but it was exactly the same. "You ready?"

"Let's do it."

Then all hell broke loose, and life was never the same again.

The end!!!

SEQUAL: "03 Never say never."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ali