Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Adobe Camp

by Zoser
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Summary: They are together yet still alone.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Season: Season 7
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-01

This was one dismal planet. Not much for Daniel to do - one sort of cliff dwelling. No real artifacts, only the suggestion there had been a camp on a small rocky shelf. Teal'c and O'Neill scouted the barren terrain then stood guard but looked bored and annoyed. Carter took some requisite soil samples. But the bulk of the time she was engaged in turning the MALP into an observatory to monitor a star, about 2 light years away, that promised to go supernova within the year.

The question of the day was why was there a Stargate here. There seemed to be no naquada, no population, no artifacts, not much plant life - no redeeming value, only the proximity to this upcoming celestial event.

They were just about ready to leave when the weather turned threatening. Black roiling clouds were piling up in the sky as Carter dialed home. The rain started to fall as O'Neill ordered his team to send the code and go home. Daniel and Teal'c proceeded through the wormhole as the sky opened. The MALP, that had carried the bulky telescope and recording and transmitting equipment to the planet, was positioned to transmit information back through the stargate. Carter was navigating the FRED, packed with equipment and supplies, around the MALP, when it started to slid in the greasy mud. As Carter leaned forward to give it a push a lightening bolt slammed into it, hurling her backward, striking her head as she plowed into the sodden ground. O'Neill hurried to her side while more lightening strikes peppered the hill. He grabbed her by her vest and attempted to drag her through the Stargate. He thought at first it was just because of the torrential downpour that he could not see the undulating blue surface but then realize that the connection had been broken. No problem he thought - just redial. It didn't work. He loudly cursed the DHD and the weather as he tried again and again. Although it didn't seem possible, the rain and lightening were getting worst and the temperature was beginning to drop. He needed to find some shelter. Under the rock shelf that had held Daniel's interest there was a small nitch that he and Carter might fit into. He would have liked to climb into the gallery but the rain was turning sleety and Carter was just a little out of it.

They climbed down the slope and over to the small shallow cave. He took off his back pack and threw it to the back of the depression. He took off Carter's and put it to the left side of the hole. He then sat down on the rock that formed the bottom surface and sat Carter down between his legs. Using his feet he pushed himself backward and hauled Carter in with him. He pulled a thermal blanket from one of the packs and tucked it around the front of Carter. Then he dug around for a flashlight and the first aid kit. He found a knot but no cut on Carter's head so after digging out some aspirins, he exchanged the first aid kit for a MRE and a canteen. He tried to make light of their predicament, telling Carter what a cozy place they had for a romantic dinner but although conscious she was not very responsive. She took the aspirins, ate some of the self warming MRE and after drinking some water, lay her head down on O'Neill's chest and slept. This really worried Jack. Carter normally would have formulated the reason the gate wasn't working and have six theories on the way to fix it and definitely would have objected to the seating arrangements. At least she wasn't squirming around he had enough problems. They were both soaked to the skin, sitting on an icy rock, on a god forsaken lifeless planet, billions of miles from home and the water was rising. He was hoping that he hadn't made a mistake seeking shelter here. The image of a flash flood kept flickering through his mind. Maybe he should attempt the rock ledge. Access was only by some hand and foot holes in the rocks and he didn't think he could get a groggy Carter up there. So he guessed he would stay put, sun rise was just 6 hours away. Well it would be sunrise if it ever stopped raining. His butt felt frozen to the ground, and he was sure that he could pour the water out of his boots. Carter was shivering in her sleep. The only spot that felt warm was were she lay in his arms.

The rain came in sheets and started to seep into their small shelter. O'Neill woke Carter. She awoke more like herself agreed with Jack's assessment of their predicament He decided to slide out and go first up to the ledge with the backpacks. The next trip was for Carter and he followed her closely hoping that she was steady enough for the ascent. O'Neill told Carter to rifle through the packs and try to find some dry clothing and see if there was anything else they could use. On his last trip he ran back to the FRED and grabbed whatever useful supplied he could find and climbed up with them. To his amazement and delight he found the sleeping bags from the FRED were vacuum packed in plastic and, best yet, dry.

The only dry pieces of clothing Carter could find were a T-shirt and a pair of sweat pants with one rather damp knee, so she stripped down and threw it on and wrapped herself in the thermal blanket. Finding a tin of sterno and some packets of hot cocoa she dug around for some tin cups. O'Neill unfurled the sleeping bags and laid them side by side on the narrow ledge and used the backpacks for a windbreak. While Carter heated the cocoa, O'Neill started to try to shuck his clothes. His shaking fingers and iced boot laces made this process next to impossible. Carter handed him the hot cup and proceeded to untie laces and unbutton his jacket and shirt. With the warmth of the cup thawing his fingers and the warmth of the liquid coursing through his system he finished undressing. He dressed in the sweat pants still warm from Carter's body and crawled in the sleeping bag. He didn't think he would ever be warm again. Handing O'Neill another cup of cocoa, Carter then zipped the two bags together. Some days that was as good as it got - a cup of warm cocoa, even if the marshmallows tasted like pencil erasers, and some shared body heat.

They tried to sleep. Well first they tried to defrost. That proved a tad problematic. A lot was running through both their minds. In Antarctica they had their uniforms and jackets on and still had the problem of the side arm. Well it was so damn cold and he was hurt - it actually was his side arm. This problem started way before this with that alien virus when she jumped him in the locker room. She knew the effect she was having on him, damn she should, she was on top of him. Oh and then he was on top of her. But what about the day she walked into the briefing room for the first time, she had every last one of those men at attention and she knew it. And what about the time she kicked that Mongol's ass that definitely was a turn on for O'Neill. Then there was that time in Piris' mine, at night Carter slept between Teal'c and O'Neill. Teal'c symboite kind of creeped her out at the time so she cozied up to Jack - now then she knew that he did have a weapon so he couldn't use to lame side arm excuse. And when they were camping with the hippies and they could go on and on.

They lay face to face and she held his icy hands in hers between her breasts. No, this was not going to work, and anyway the rain occasionally splattered on the edge of the ledge. They inched closer to the rock wall hauling the sleeping bags with them and they tried to sleep spooned with him protection her back from the storm. He woke hours later warmer but acutely aware that her shirt had ridden up and his right hand was on...hmmm... was it her thigh or her hip and his thumb sliding down that path to the golden triangle. Stop Jack - Roll over now and just thank God you're not stuck here with Kowalski. Next time he woke his back was toasty; it was draped in Carter, breasts firmly pressed to his back and one of her legs between his, hands on his chest gently held in place by his own. But his feet were frozen. He thought of all the places on a warm Carter he like to put them, even thought about just bending his knees and bringing them on the backs of her legs. He doubted that he was that flexible and if an icy toe cause her to jerk to violently he would be incapacitated for a month. That woman was strong and that knee was well placed. He wondered if it were he she was embracing or was she dreaming about that fucking Martouf with his dumbass skirt and idiotic smile, that self-ingratiating bastard. He despised that slimy snakehead. Get a grip O'Neill. He stretched out his legs to slide her leg out, just too much temptation. And there at the bottom of the sleeping bag - it felt like a balled up pair of socks. He reached down scooped them up and put them on. This roused Carter who wanted to know what the hell he was doing. When he admitted to finding the socks she looked absolutely envious. "My feet are soooo cold and you have pants." He gave her the socks and tried to pull the pant legs over his icy toes. That brought them a tad low on his hips but you can't have everything and the socks did manage to go up to her knees. "Colonel, do you think Teal'c and Daniel made it through." "No doubts, Carter." Although he always had a few fleeting ones. "We'll get through tomorrow." "Yeah. Try to get some sleep." "My backside is frostbitten." "Turn over." And he held her trying not to get to close and personal - there was the side arm problem. The wind and the rain calmed and they slept.