Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Misconceptions – General Jack Year 2 Part 14. A General Jack Christmas special

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Misconceptions

“You’ll only be gone three days, sir?”

I was perversely gratified to hear the worried tone in Walter’s voice.

“Yes, Sergeant, I’ll be back on Friday.”

For a second it looked like he was actually going to ask me to promise, but then he blinked and the moment was gone. I tucked the papers he handed me into my already overflowing briefcase, and closed it decisively, giving him a challenging smile. He avoided my gaze as he placed another report back on my desk, looking disappointed. Well, he’d just have to get over the disappointment – I wasn’t going to spend any spare time I had in Washington reading his damned files. I grinned at him, and he nodded, accepting defeat.

I pulled the briefcase from my desk, grimacing at its weight, and looked around, checking I hadn’t forgotten anything. My bag, along with the Airman I had agreed to take as my aide, was already in the car, and so with nothing left to delay me, I headed for the elevator.

“Jack!” Footsteps pounded down the corridor as Daniel’s familiar voice stopped me in my tracks. “I thought I’d missed you.”

“I’m just leaving, Daniel.” I glanced at my watch as I turned to face him. “I’m already running late.”

“You are only going to be gone three days, aren’t you, Jack?”

What was it with everyone today? I couldn’t help the note of exasperation that crept into my reply. “Yes. Three days. I’m sure you can cope.”

“It’s just that a lot can happen in three days, especially around here.”

“Well, if it does, Colonel Reynolds can handle it.” I looked at my watch again, and stepped into the waiting elevator car. “Sorry, Daniel, I’ve got to go or I’ll miss my plane. Stay out of trouble, and I’ll see you Friday.” The doors shut and cut off whatever he was saying.

Thank goodness. I really was late. SG-7 had returned from off world battered and shaken and their debriefing had taken longer than expected, the decision to remove PX9-543 from the dialling computer not difficult after their description of the extreme weather conditions they experienced several miles from the gate.

Damn, but these elevators were slow.

Waiting on Level Eleven to travel the rest of the way to the surface I ignored the bustle of personnel around me. Finally the doors opened, seemingly in slow motion, and I stepped back to allow the stream of people inside to exit.

“General O’Neill.”

“Hi, T. Going down?”

He inclined his head in that regal sort of way he had always had. “I was, but now I shall accompany you to the surface, if you permit.”

I moved in and towards the rear to where Teal’c stood casually at ease, his hands clasped behind his back.

“So what’s up?”

“You, it seems. You are leaving for Washington?”

“Yes.” I couldn’t help the almost instinctive reaction, looking at my watch yet again.

“You will be gone for three days?”

I nodded, trying to stay calm. “Yes, that’s right, three days.” The elevator slid to a gentle halt and I moved towards the opening doors. “See ya, T. Stay out of trouble.”

His reply followed me down the corridor. “I shall endeavour to do so. However it is you who tends to find trouble on trips to Washington, O’Neill”

Oh, very amusing.

I ignored him, hurrying out to the waiting car.

**********

By the time I settled myself into my seat on the plane I was one very annoyed general. Everything had conspired to delay me, from the traffic to Peterson to the snippy Senior Airman that insisted on double-checking my aide’s papers before allowing him to board.

“You look flustered, Jack.” General Kerrigan folded his newspaper and wiggled slightly in his seat, giving me more room. “I was worried you weren’t going to make it.”

“You and me both, Brian.” I breathed deeply, relaxing. “It’s been one hell of a week.”

He smirked back at me. “And it isn’t going to get any better. Lots of lovely meetings, and we both know how much you enjoy them.”

I gave him that nasty little smile I reserve for special occasions. “They do say misery loves company. That’s why I suggested you be included in the discussions.” He opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted. “No need to thank me, Brian, I’m sure you’d do the same for me.”

“You’ve got that right, you evil bastard.” He laughed loudly, causing a few curious heads to turn. “I’ll return the favour as soon as I can.”

He opened his newspaper again, and I reluctantly took a report from my briefcase and settled in for the flight.

**********

“Please return to your seats and fasten your seatbelts. We will be landing in a few minutes.”

What?

I scrubbed my hand across my eyes, trying to wake myself up. Straightening from the slouched position I found myself in, I took the unread report from the seat tray and replaced it in my briefcase, before putting the tray up. Beside me, Kerrigan was doing the same thing.

I gave him an apologetic half smile. “Sorry about that, Brian. I wasn’t very good company.”

“That’s okay, Jack. You obviously needed the rest.” I thought I detected a note of concern in his voice. ”The SGC keeping you busy?”

“You could say that.” I swallowed a yawn. Over the last few weeks I’d barely had time to pop home at all, and had to have my mail redirected to the Base. It was getting to the point where I was seriously considering selling my house and buying a small storage room down on Sublevel 31.

Moments later there was a soft bump as the plane met the runaway and taxied to a stop. Outside the window a light rain fell, the day gloomy and overcast, and as soon as we exited the aircraft the wind hit. I grabbed my hat, holding it firmly, and shivered. Washington in December, cold and wet, but at least it was warmer than Colorado Springs.

I suppose there was something to be grateful for.

**********

“I’ll be sure to take that under advisement, General O’Neill.”

I gritted my teeth and smiled, trying to act like I hadn’t heard that phrase just once too many times over the past two days.

“Come on, Jack. Let’s get some coffee.” Brian Kerrigan nudged my arm, and I nodded a polite farewell to the members to the committee. At least I felt like we were finally getting somewhere. The plans for new training of SGC recruits had been thrashed out with Brian and a group of Air Force experts, and the funding had tentatively been agreed to. Expansion of the new Alpha Site was partly organised, with just a few details to be sorted. Really, I didn’t have much to complain about. The next thing on the agenda was an evaluation of some new weaponry. I’d be handling that myself as Brian had his own upper echelons to glad hand.

“We had coffee in there, Brian.” I nodded my head towards the room we had just left.

“That sludge wasn’t coffee. That was the leftover fuel they’ve worked out a way to use as a cost cutting measure. No, what we need is real coffee.”

“You’re beginning to sound like Daniel.”

“Am not.”

“Are too.”

“Am not.”

“Are too”

“Dee two.”

Damned infantile sense of humor. I sniggered and followed him down the corridor, assuming he knew where he was going.

Several turns, two flights of stairs, and a couple of security checkpoints later, we had almost made it to a cafeteria. Why we couldn’t have stopped at one of the three we had passed, I don’t know, but Brian assured me this one had the best coffee.

The sound of a door slamming on my left was accompanied by the impact of a shoulder in my back.

Whumph!

Crap!

I spun, flexing my hands into a defensive position, only to come face to face with an officer in dress blues with a frown on his face that could have melted the brass off my shoulders. It took me a second before I recognised him, and as the glare focussed on me, I stepped back.

“Colonel O’Neil.”

His anger didn’t seem to dissipate at my ability to recognise him. If anything it only managed to intensify it. I had no idea as to its cause, but then again, O’Neil had never really been one to need one.

“O’Neill!” He stared at me, up and down, dismissively. “It’s been awhile. Haven’t seen you since that containment situation you deep space radar boys thought was so dangerous.”

Suddenly his expression changed, and I realised his gaze had landed on the stars on my shoulders. A vein began to pump in his forehead as he stood there.

“Colonel…” I began, trying to warn him off, but it was too late.

“General. You made a general. While I’ve been fighting in the Middle East, you’ve been sitting behind some desk, and you get promoted.” His voice rose, and the people passing in the corridor began to take notice, pausing then hurrying on as they met my eyes.

“Colonel!” Brian Kerrigan stepped in front of me before I could answer. “In here.” He pulled the belligerent man into an empty meeting room and I followed, seething.

“Now, would you care to explain just what in the hell you mean by talking to General O’Neill like that, before I have you up on charges?” Brian easily matched O’Neil in the anger stakes.

“Only if you tell me why I get pulled out of Fallujah, made to leave my company behind, chewed out for something that wasn’t my fault, and given a rap on the knuckles after fighting on the front line for twelve months, and here’s this …” He poked his finger at me, stabbing the air. “ …this pen pusher who hides under a mountain while the real men are dying… gets promoted.” He shoved his body forward, only stopped by Brian’s hand on his chest. “What are you doing to protect our country, sitting back in a comfortable, safe assignment? A lot of good your deep space radar did when they crashed those planes.”

I felt a shiver of ice run up my spine at his words, and I straightened, staring down at him, knowing that if I spoke I would say or do something I would regret. Marine Colonel James O’Neil had always been a thorn in my side, and I in his. He was an irritating, boring, man with no sense of humor whatsoever, and I had counted myself fortunate to not have much to do with him. Our paths had rarely crossed – the last time was almost two years ago, when those invisible psychedelic bugs had showed up and O’Neil and his men helped sweep and contain the area around the Springs. We had barely spoken two words to each other then, both uncomfortable enough to keep out of the other’s way as much as possible.

Brian Kerrigan visibly tensed, looking at me, obviously wondering how I was going to respond.

I couldn’t.

I couldn’t respond. What could I say? That the SGC had been defending our country for years, along with the rest of the planet? That we had lost men in the battle, some in ways too horrible to contemplate? That everyone under that mountain was a hero in his or her own way?

I didn’t expect much recognition for our efforts given the veil of secrecy over the Stargate, but I certainly didn’t expect to be pilloried in the corridor of the Pentagon. I couldn’t afford to let my emotions influence me – too much was at stake. One careless word in the wrong ear and the whole program could be jeopardised.

I replied calmly, not taking my eyes off O’Neil’s. “I won’t take this incident to your commanding officer, Colonel, but I’m warning you – stay out of my way from now on.” He dropped his eyes and I turned my attention to Kerrigan. “Come on, we have a meeting to get to.” I heard my companion let out a breath in a long sigh at my words, and he dropped his hand, releasing the furious Colonel.

I had begun to turn when O’Neil reacted, his voice raised and vehement.

“That’s right – run. You haven’t got an answer, have you? What did you get those medals for? Brown nosing in Washington?”

To my surprise Brian was the one to move first. The normally even tempered man spun, grabbing O’Neil by the lapels and shaking him.

“How dare you talk to General O’Neill like that! You’ve got no idea what you’re talking about…”

“Brian.” I grabbed his hands, pulling them off the other man. “That’s enough.” His hands were clenched into fists, and they were visibly shaking with anger. “He isn’t worth it.”

I was relieved when Brian nodded, and as he relaxed I stepped away.

“Colonel O’Neil.” His head came up and he stiffened instinctively at my bark of command. “I have changed my mind. I will be reporting this incident to your commander. Your return to this country for disciplinary reasons, combined with your display of insubordination to a senior officer, will have serious repercussions on your career. I suggest you consider other career options as soon as possible.” With that I turned smartly on my heels and left the room.

We strode in silence up the corridor until we reached a relatively quiet part of the complex. All the way the indignation coming from Brian was an almost physical presence, so I found an exit leading to a small outside paved area and motioned him to follow. The day had improved – at least it wasn’t raining – but it was still bitterly cold and I shivered as I waited for him to join me on the bench near the door.

He was the first to break the silence. “I don’t know how you just stood there and took that, Jack. I have to say I’m surprised.”

I brushed a few small pieces of lint from my trouser legs. “There wasn’t much else I could do. There was no way I could defend myself or my command without giving him information he hasn’t access to.”

He shook his head. “That’s not really the point though, is it? He shouldn’t have spoken to a superior officer like that.”

I stood, pushing my hands into my jacket pockets. “No, he shouldn’t have, but put yourself in his shoes. He’s been stationed in Iraq for how long…probably losing friends to the fighting. He’s been recalled for goodness knows what, but obviously has a problem with it…probably feels he’s let his men down, and here I am, someone he’s always disliked, promoted and …” I tapped my breast. “…dripping with medals. I can see his point, can’t you?”

Brian stood, pacing a few steps away, frowning. “He should know better than to take things at face value.”

“Haven’t we all been guilty of that at times? Don’t tell me you haven’t looked at some of the officers we’ve passed in the corridor here and wondered how they got to the rank they have as glorified bureaucrats?”

“Of course I have, Jack, but those aren’t the sort of medals you get for sitting on your butt.”

“Perhaps not, and I’m not trying to excuse O’Neil, but I do understand him. In his position I may have done the same thing.”

“I doubt it.”

I smiled, avoiding his eyes. Yes, I doubted it too. I might have been tempted to say something, but I hoped commonsense would have prevailed. I had a reputation for hot temperedness, but I usually thought before I spoke, and considered the consequences, something O’Neil obviously hadn’t done.

“Damn! Look at the time.”

At Brian’s exclamation, I looked at my watch. Hell! I didn’t know about Kerrigan, but I only had three minutes to make it to my next meeting. We took off running – well, not running exactly – generals don’t run through the Pentagon corridors, but certainly walking briskly.

Very briskly.

***********

That night, I went to bed early, but despite my tiredness, lay staring up at the nondescript hotel ceiling for hours.

I knew my job was important. I enjoyed it. Even, I had to secretly admit, the more mundane aspects of it.

Sure the medals and commendations were nice, but they were a bonus, not something I expected, or needed. I wasn’t in it for the glory.

So why did I feel so damned unappreciated?

*********

“I’ll give you a call, Brian.” I smiled as I undid my seat belt. “We’ll get together for a drink.”

“Sure, Jack, that would be good. Assuming we can fit it into our schedules.”

Unfortunately I knew he wasn’t joking, so I only grunted my agreement and picked up my extremely over filled briefcase, standing as the plane’s engines powered down.

“I’m glad to be home. I don’t think my wife would forgive me if I was late tonight. We’ll have enough trouble getting the kids to bed as it is.”

I nodded, checking I hadn’t left anything behind. By the time I had organised myself Brian was already at the exit, obviously anxious to get home.

There was a heavy sprinkling of snow on my waiting car, and I felt a pang of pity for the driver, made to wait for a storm-delayed aircraft. My aide took the front passenger seat as I slid into the back, nodding my thanks as the door was shut behind me. The interior was warm, and I began to thaw immediately.

“Drop me at my house, please Airman.”

Eyes met mine in the rear view mirror.

“Yes, sir.” I thought I detected a note of anxiety in the voice, but dismissed it as being caused by the pressure of driving a general around in what looked like a storm that was developing into a blizzard. I settled back into the seat, yawning. The last few days had been almost as tiring as an off world mission had been back in the good old days when I still went on them. I could feel myself drifting off to sleep, so I straightened up and made a conscious effort to stay alert, peering out at the deepening gloom.

By the time we got to my house and the car, complete with driver and aide disappeared into the distance, I was almost dead on my feet. I stumbled as I opened the door, slipping slightly on the icy step and barely stopping myself from falling by grabbing at the hall table. My hand twinged in protest, and rubbing it, I made my way into the lounge room, practically falling into my favourite armchair. It wasn’t until I had kicked off my shoes that I realised I should have turned on the heat and gotten myself a coffee before I sat down. I felt another twinge, this time from my wrist and in another moment of introspection I decided that one thing I had noticed about getting old was that every part of my body was now an individual entity, with its own idiosyncrasies and needs. I remembered when my body ran like a well oiled machine, a machine that I barely noticed except in times of extraordinary crisis, each part just a tiny bit of the whole. Now the machine was shouting for attention, bits breaking down at the drop of a hat.

The beep of my telephone broke into my thoughts. For a moment I contemplated ignoring it, but only for a moment. With a heavy sigh I got up, muttering, to answer it.

“O’Neill.” I know my tone was probably curt, but not only was I tired, my hand was beginning to hurt a lot more. I’d probably sprained it, knowing my luck.

“You’re home.”

“Yes, Daniel. That would be why I’m answering the phone.” I wandered back to the couch.

“I’ve been a bit worried. I thought you were due back hours ago.”

“The flight was delayed.” I yawned. “Was there something you wanted, because I’m thinking of having an early night.”

There was a pause before he answered. “But it’s only six.”

“Your point is what?” I yawned again, almost cracking my jawbone.

“Isn’t it a bit early to go to bed? I thought you were coming straight back to the base, and I’d arranged with Sam and Teal’c to go out somewhere for dinner.”

“That’s just peachy, Daniel. I’m pleased you have people willing to put up with you for a whole meal, but I’m tired and I’m heading for bed.” I waited for a minute, hearing nothing from the other end of the line, my temper getting shorter by the second. “Okay then, it was nice talking to you. Let’s do it again sometime.”

I was a hair’s breadth from disconnecting when I heard what sounded like a shout. Groaning with frustration, I put the phone back up to my ear.

“What is it now?”

“You can’t.”

“Can’t what?”

“You can’t go to bed early.”

“I can, Daniel, and I have every intention of doing so.” I could picture the expression on his face, so I tried to keep my tone level. “Look – I appreciate the invitation, but I’m tired and I wouldn’t be very good company. Why don’t you go enjoy yourself, and tell the others I’ll join you all another time – soon, I promise.”

“No.”

“No?” Now I was beginning to get angry. “What do you mean ‘no’?”

“You have to come in.”

Daniel had lowered his voice, and I was finding it difficult to hear him. I responded by doing what any overtired, cranky person would do – raising mine.

“Why do I have to come in?” Then I stopped, thinking. “What’s wrong? What aren’t you telling me?”

His voice became even softer, and muffled, as if something was being held over the phone. “Nothing’s wrong, but trust me on this, you should come in tonight.”

Now he really did have me worried. I walked to the window, pulling the drapes aside. The snow had eased, the storm apparently over.

“All right, I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

The problem must be something Daniel couldn’t discuss on an unsecured line. I couldn’t even imagine what it could be.

Actually I could. Images of rival warring aliens enacting a civil war in the meeting room seemed all too likely for comfort. Maybe the Tok’ra had to abandon another base, and had come, cap in hand, asking for help after ignoring us for months. There could be a surprise visit from some VIP. Who knew. There was no point speculating.

I didn’t bother changing, just jumped into my truck and went.

**********

I didn’t encounter any escaped aliens on the way into the mountain, and by the time I had reached my office, I was beyond annoyed. Only a few personnel had passed me in the corridors and they had all seemed to be focused on their duties, merely acknowledging me before hurrying on. While it was nice to see the SGC running so efficiently, I had hoped for a bit more acknowledgement of my return.

And where the hell was Daniel?

I pushed open my office door, and stopped dead. There, sitting in the middle of my desk was a colourfully wrapped parcel, a large envelope propped up against it.

I approached it cautiously, poking the strangely shaped object with my index finger. When it didn’t explode or morph into something, I took up the envelope, opening it with one eye warily on the parcel.

I found a picture of a Christmas tree, topped by tasteful gold writing. “Merry Christmas.”

Oh crap!

A glance at my desk calendar confirmed it – December Twenty-four – Christmas Eve. When had this happened? I hadn’t even noticed November turning in December, let alone Christmas racing up behind me.

“Ah…” I turned, card in hand, to find SG-1 standing in the doorway, Daniel at the forefront. “Hi there, Jack.” He gestured at the gift. “You going to open it?”

“Read the card first, sir.” Carter was smiling that slightly uncertain smile she had when she wasn’t sure of my reaction to something.

I opened it.

Hand written Christmas greetings covered the entire surface. It looked like every person in the SGC had signed it.

I stared at it in disbelief.

“Open the gift, O’Neill.”

I looked from Teal’c to the present and back again, before nodding slowly.

It was heavy, with a strange angular shape. I carefully unwrapped it and found myself holding a perfect copy of the Stargate, each glyph carved in loving detail. A small plaque fronted the rich mahogany base, and I held it up to the light, trying to look like my eyes weren’t watering. “To Jack O’Neill, an Extraordinary General. Merry Christmas from the SGC.”

I opened my mouth, dumbfounded, for once completely at a loss for words.

Then the correct response came to me. I put the statue down on my desk and opened my arms wide.

“Come on, kids, group hug.” Not giving them a chance to object, I gathered all three of them in. Carter hesitated for a second then hugged back, giggling, Daniel gave me a couple of stiff pats on the back, laughing, and Teal’c almost crushed my ribs in his enthusiasm.

We stayed like that for a few moments then I broke away, grinning.

“Come on, Jack. We’ve got a party to get to.” Daniel matched me grin for grin.

“A party? Where?” Suddenly I was wide awake for the first time in hours.

“Here, sir. Walter planned it when he realised you’d forgotten how close to Christmas it was. He’s set it up in the Mess Hall. Everyone’s helped.”

“Indeed, O’Neill. Sergeant Davis has shown remarkable organisational ability. He mentioned that his time as your assistant has been invaluable.”

Now all three of them were grinning, even Teal’c.

We headed for the elevator.

“We were worried when you didn’t come back at the scheduled time, then your driver said he’d dropped you at your house instead of here, and when I called and you said you weren’t coming in…” Daniel left the sentence unfinished, but I could imagine the consternation that had caused.

Carter swiped her access card in the slot by the elevator. “How was Washington, sir?”

I shook my head as the doors opened. “I’d rather not talk about Washington, Colonel.” I smiled at my team and relaxed, leaning against the side of the car. “Let’s just say it’s really good to be home.”

The End