Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Twisted Helix - General Jack Year 2 Part 4

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Twisted Helix


I'd never forget the look on General Jumper's face when I beamed into the gateroom with Thor, as long as I live, which may not be very long if George's expression was anything to go by, but my train of thought was interrupted by a snarky comment from the small Asgard.

“Would you care to introduce me, O’Neill? Or do I have to do it myself?”

“Ah, yes, sorry.” I stuttered over the words, surprised at his obvious annoyance. Perhaps the problem really was as big a concern as Myton had intimated. While one part of my brain was quickly introducing Thor to Jumper and Vidrine, the other was already worrying about the obvious changes in the little Asgard’s behaviour.

“Perhaps we should adjourn to the Briefing Room, General O’Neill?”

General Jumper’s words brought me back to reality. I looked at the astonished sea of faces assembled below me and grimaced. Yes, perhaps it would be better to continue the discussion in private. It looked like I was never going to get that official handover of the base.

We’d have to put the finger food back in the freezer.

I stepped forward, quickly identifying the personnel I needed. “Doctor Roberts, Major Carter, and Doctor Jackson, please come with me. The rest – dismissed.” Without waiting for the sound of footsteps to die away, I turned and led the way to the Briefing Room.

As soon as the door closed, I got down to the job of explaining Thor’s presence at the SGC. The generals took it in their stride, but our new CMO looked as astonished as a trout out of its stream.

We all sat around the table, Thor perched uncomfortably, his legs swinging, his eyes unblinking as he looked around. A short explanation of everything I knew, which wasn’t much, and I waited for the inevitable questions. It was the source of the first one that surprised me.

“Begging the General’s pardon, but I don’t see how we can possibility be of any help to Commander Thor. From what I’ve read, the Asgard have thousands of years more experience in the field of DNA research than we do.” Doctor Roberts tore his eyes from Thor and refocused them on me, obviously waiting for my reply.

Okay then. I knew the answer to that.

What’s with everyone staring at me, anyway? Even Thor. I’m sure if he had any eyebrows he would have raised them.

There must be a logical explanation, otherwise Myton wouldn’t have sent Thor back with me, would he? It can’t have just been to get him out of the way. He can’t have been that annoying, could he?

Long, thin, bony fingers drummed impatiently on the hard wooden surface of the table. Was that a sigh I heard?

Oh crap! Damn those sneaky little X-file rejects. They had gotten rid of him. Sent him down to upset us.

I decided when in doubt, bluster.

“The Asgard have shown confidence in our ability to help, Doctor.” I fixed him with a stern glare. “And I have every confidence in our ability to do so. I’m sure Major Carter has already thought of some avenues we can explore.” I ignored the strangled gasp from the woman in question, and hurried on, speaking louder to hide any further protests. “If I may suggest, gentlemen, this is an opportunity to advance the path of human genetic engineering.”

“Human, General O’Neill?”

Uh oh! Now there was an aspect of this convoluted mess I hadn’t thought of. They were all looking at me again, with varying degrees of confusion, waiting for me to answer General Vidrine’s question.

Thor answered it for me. His little body shook with laughter. “He hasn’t told you, has he.” He was almost falling out of his chair in amusement. It might have been better if he had. “For crying out loud, O’Neill, are you ashamed of your own DNA or something?” Then, just as I thought he couldn’t drop me any deeper into the shit than he had, Thor added the punchline. “Daddy, I’m hurt!”

A nice cell in Leavenworth beckoned. I wouldn’t have any more stress. I could just sit and rest. Not worry.

“Is there something you would like to tell us, Jack?”

Why, yes, General Jumper. You see, the Asgard used my DNA to help regrow the Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet, but I didn’t tell you. It just never seemed the right time to raise the subject, sir.

I don’t think so!

I gave them all my most guileless look. “I think the Asgard may have used a sample of my DNA when reviving Commander Thor, but I’m not really sure. I thought it was just part of the funeral ceremony.” I smiled.

Thor snorted.

I would have happily strangled him on the spot, if it weren’t for the diplomatic repercussions. And to think I had been looking forward to seeing him again.

A flash of light heralded the appearance of Commander Myton, clutching what looked some sort of computer disk thingies.

He looked harassed. Dumping the disks on the table, he spoke rapidly. “This is information you may find helpful. Sorry, I must leave immediately.” And was gone again before I could even take a breath.

The little….

“Jack, perhaps you should take Commander Thor to the infirmary.” Jumper stood, casting a brief glance at his watch. Thank god for busy schedules. A reprieve. “We’ll discuss this in more detail later.” Ah. Maybe not.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Carter and Roberts were bumping heads at a computer terminal, while Thor sat quietly on a nearby bed, the object of much interest from the infirmary nurses. I realised that although I took the Asgard for granted these days, most of the SGC personnel had had little or no contact with our more obviously alien allies at all.

I caught Robert’s comment, his voice low and frustrated. “Even with this information, I don’t see that we can be of any use to the Asgard.”

Carter was quick to respond, pointing out they had only just started investigating the problem, and it was too soon to make such judgments. She caught my eye and frowned, and I knew she was aware of my thoughts.

Janet wouldn’t have given up so easily.

I had a sudden feeling of loss, wishing the tiny, dynamic woman was here, and suddenly realised Thor was staring at me. I saw the echo of my hurt in his eyes.

Didn’t want to go there. Not now. Not ever. Janet was gone, and no amount of grieving could ever bring her back. She joined the ranks of the lost.

She had looked so serene, her face unmarked. As if she could stand and step out of her coffin, ready to cure and curse me, as she had so many times before.

But she hadn’t. Any more than Charlie had.

No amount of wishing could make it happen.

So I sat and glared furiously at Frasier’s replacement, carefully avoiding the knowing eyes of the Asgard.

After a while, Thor’s attention was taken by Daniel’s questions, as he tried to make sense of the few documents we had on Asgard genetic manipulation. I felt a sense of relief, as if pressure was suddenly released.

With a loud bang, the fluorescent tube broke in a nearby light, crashing to the ground and scattering glass across the floor. I ducked, and straightened again sheepishly, hoping no one had noticed. One too many bullets had made me a little sensitive to sudden bangs. The flurry of activity as the mess was cleared masked my discomfort. I settled back down, one ear listening to Carter and the doctor, the other to Daniel and his constant questioning of Thor.

Finally I could take it no longer.

“Listen, kids, I’m going to go try and clear a tiny corner of my desk. Can you bring Thor up to my office in an hour or so?”

I beat a hasty retreat, my leaving hardly noticed.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

One thing I had discovered over this last year and a bit was that paperwork can’t be ignored. I could delegate as much as possible, but the forms, requests and requisitions that made it to my desk were essential to the smooth running of the base. And said smooth running was ultimately my responsibility. Despite this workload I still managed to find time to send each team off through the gate with a personal message of luck, just as George had done. Already, since I had left Thor in the tender hands of Carter and the others, I had seen two teams walk through the shimmering puddle, off to explore new worlds.

SG-2, led by the newly promoted Lieutenant Colonel Ferretti was due back in ten minutes, so I closed my laptop and made my way to the Control Room. The gate activated right on time, the IDC was received and I ordered the iris open. Lou limped through, grinning up at me, his arm looped over the shoulder of his second. I barely had time to register the blood running down his trouser leg when the lights went out.

They only stayed off for a minute or so, but it was enough to send every alarm screaming and red light blinking. Was it any wonder I had a pounding headache by the time everything calmed down. Siler assured me there was no sign of any damage to the gate, Teal’c and the security team ran about the base with TERs like some sort of demented paintball enthusiasts, and Carter, Daniel and Thor were safely ensconced in the infirmary, out of harms way. The only suggestion the experts could make was that it was a by-product of the previous power outage. Not an explanation I felt happy with, but one that had to suffice for now.

It seemed like hours later when I was finally able to check on Ferretti and his team. They had just finished their post mission physicals and Lou was sitting up in an infirmary bed already looking bored, his leg wrapped in bandages.

“So what happened to you, Colonel?”

He sat a little straighter, still unable to keep the surprise at being addressed by his new rank from his face. “We had a little run in with a rocky slope on the way back to the gate, sir. I took a tumble. Other than that it was a pretty uneventful mission.”

“So how’s the leg?” I hadn’t missed the slight grimace of pain as he moved.

“It’s just a deep cut. The Doc says it should only take a day or so of rest before its healed.”

I looked at the thick bandages and wondered what the Doctor had actually said. More like a week at least by what I had seen of the injury in those brief moments before the lights went out.

Crap, my head hurt.

That was it. I realised I had had nothing to eat since early this morning and it was already late afternoon. Between farewelling the generals, making sure Thor was looked after, and dealing with the problem with the power, I had had no time to scratch myself. I was tired, hungry and cranky.

I was going home.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

My refusal of a driver might not have been my best decision I thought, as I turned the heater in my truck to high, shivering in the cold evening air. The road down the mountain was dim, despite the bright headlights, twisting in front of me. I sat forward, blinking to clear the fog from my brain, and tried to concentrate. This was definitely not a road to have an accident on, the sides dropping as they did steeply into darkness.

For a second I thought of finding a spot to turn, to admit defeat and head back to base, but the very idea of spending yet another night on the uncomfortable bed in my quarters dissuaded me. I slowed down, ignoring the pain behind my eyes, and made it down to the bottom.

Once I was on the level freeway and heading towards my house, I relaxed somewhat. The road was almost clear of traffic and I began to make good time.

It hit just before my turnoff. I didn’t even have time to slow down.

One minute I was humming along to the song on the radio, the next I was trying to choke down the vomit rising in my throat. I didn’t succeed. Within seconds the windscreen in front of me was covered so thickly that I couldn’t see out of it, as I puked up my stomach lining.

The sound of horns blasting and the screech of brakes were warning enough that I wasn’t staying in my lane. Yeah, well guess what people, it’s hard to drive straight when you are upchucking and can’t see where you’re going. I did the only sensible thing, stuck my foot on the brakes, groped for the hazard lights, and turned off the ignition.

Then I proceeded to expel my insides. I vaguely registered the sound of irate voices, and the blast of cold air as my car door was opened, but I didn’t raise my eyes to look.

Nothing to see here folks, just a General dying.

I hadn’t been this sick since my high school friends and I managed to con someone into buying us four bottles of apple schnapps. Now there was a night I remembered only in my nightmares.

I felt myself slipping sideways on the seat to the sound of a siren wailing in the distance.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Christ!

I leapt about ten feet in the air, almost dislodging the large needle stuck in my hand.

The huge eyes of a small grey alien, blinked twice, very slowly.

Okaaay. I guess I’m not in Kansas anymore.

“How are you feeling, sir?”

That’s funny, he can speak without moving his lips.

Oh wait.

I let my sluggish brain catch up with my eyes, and realised Doctor Roberts was standing on the other side of my bed from Thor.

The Infirmary again. Oh joy!

I swallowed, feeling the dryness of a long disused throat. Roberts held a glass of water towards me and I sipped it gratefully, waiting a minute, considering my reply carefully before speaking.

“To answer your question, Doctor,” I swallowed, lubricating my throat. “Like crap that’s been left out in the sun too long. What the hell happened?”

“We had a call from the local hospital, General. You had been brought in after collapsing while driving home. You were transferred here yesterday.” Roberts was adjusting the IV line as he spoke, one eye on the monitors.

Yesterday?

“Exactly how long…” I let my words trail off, clearing my dry throat and hoping he understood the question without my needing to finish it.

The doctor refilled the glass, offering it to me once again as he answered. “It’s been three days since you collapsed, sir. You spent the first in the local hospital.”

Three days! I savoured the feeling of liquid on my tongue. No wonder my throat hurt.

“You have caused your friends much concern. O’Neill.”

I took a look around the quiet room. Where exactly were my friends? I mean, I know the work of the SGC can’t stop just because I’m ill, but I would have though at least one of my team would be on hand.

Thor stepped closer, resting his delicate hand on my arm, as if he could read my thoughts. “The doctor refused to allow any visitors. Fortunately I did not need his permission to stay with you.” He gave the watching man an ill concealed glare. “I told him there was no need for concern, that the presence of your friends would be a help rather than a hindrance, but he refused to listen. If you had not woken soon, I would have contacted your President and had this man removed.”

Roberts paled, and I grinned, unable to conceal my amusement.

“Thanks, buddy. Now, can you get my team in here?” Even as I said it, I felt a pang of loss. They weren’t my team anymore. Carter was leader of SG-1 in her own right, a well-deserved promotion looming, unbeknownst to her, on the horizon. I had tried to step back, tried to step away, but no matter how much I tried I couldn’t help thinking of them as my team. Maybe I always would.

“Jack, it’s about time.” Daniel hurried towards me, anxiety clearly warring with no small amount of anger on his face. “Roberts wouldn’t let us near you.”

“I offered to show the doctor the error of his ways, but Major Carter would not allow it.” Teal’c’s tall form loomed over the doctor, his deep voice conveying a message of undisguised menace. He prowled towards the head of my bed, moving lightly on the balls of his feet. Roberts backed away.

Straight into Carter.

Seemingly without thought, she pushed him aside, ignoring his grunt of indignation, and coming to join the others. “How are you, sir?”

I looked up at them all, and smiled, already feeling better just for having them there. “I don’t actually know, Major. No one’s told me what’s wrong with me.”

Roberts edged across to the side of the bed, as far from Teal’c as he could manage without being out of the room, and cleared his throat importantly. “The trouble, General, is that we can’t seem to find anything wrong with you. We’ve run a great deal of tests, and come up with nothing.”

Thor interrupted. “I have made several suggestions that the doctor has seen fit to ignore.” The normally imperturbable Asgard’s voice had an edge of anger I had never heard before. “Now you are awake, I will arrange for our transport to the Asgard medical facilities.”

Ah. Whoa there! This was all moving a little fast for my liking. I had been awake for, what, ten minutes?

“Do you think that’s wise, General?” Doctor Roberts leaned over, and whispered, obviously completely unaware Thor’s hearing could pick up the sound of a pin dropping at fifty feet. “They are, after all, aliens.”

I spoke in a normal voice, or as normal as I could get after not speaking for three days. “I have no problem with going with Thor, Doctor. However, I will make the decision only after due consideration of all the pros and cons. Now, if you would please leave, I wish to speak to the Supreme Commander.” I gestured to Carter and the others. “You, of course, can stay.”

I waited until the doctor had left, then patted the bed, inviting Thor to sit next to me.

“I am very glad you are awake, O’Neill. I was beginning to go out of my mind with boredom with only that prejudiced human to speak to.” Thor settled onto the end of the bed, near my feet, barely making a dent in the blankets. “That new doctor is an idiot.” He spoke loudly enough to be heard through the closed door. Teal’c smiled grimly. Then Thor’s voice sobered, and he continued, a little quieter. “I am truly sorry we were not here to help when your Doctor Fraiser was injured. She was a good person.”

I nodded in agreement, having no words with which to reply.

After a moment of silence, Thor continued. “I believe I know what is causing your symptoms, O’Neill.” He paused and looked me in the eye. “And I think you do as well.”

I didn’t meet his gaze, choosing to stare at my fingers instead. I wasn’t stupid. I could put two and two together and make four. Sometimes I even managed to make five. I was quite pleased with myself when that happened. I caught the hint of movement from Daniel, and knew he was just itching to interject with a comment, but Thor beat him to it.

“Come on, Jack. Cut the crap and admit you’re worried.”

I lifted my head to find my friend smiling at me. I could only nod.

“Come on then, lets get out of here.” A touch of his wrist and we were on the Asgard flagship. I could just imagine the stunned, but resigned faces of the others as once again I was abducted by aliens.

So much for weighing the pros and cons!

“Thor!” My indignant cry filled the silence. I clutched the hospital gown at the back. “Get me some pants!”

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

It was five more days before I was back behind my desk at the SGC once more. The second Ancient’s download had, as I had suspected all along, hot-wired my brain. The healing power had kicked in at the slightest hint of a hangnail, Ferretti’s leg being the final straw. With the ability came the annoying complication of being able to cause random power fluctuations, Useful if I ever wanted to blow up a toaster in the heat of battle, but too unpredictable to be of any use otherwise. Apparently the little synapses in my brain had gone all giggly and shivery at the thought of more input. No wonder I had been constantly feeling cold.

Once they had pinpointed the problem, the Asgard medics had made a simple adjustment, dampening the effects. No more Super Jack, with the power to heal, but also no longer likely to plunge the whole top half of the United States into darkness. There was still plenty left of the download, exactly how much it was hard to say.

I still played a mean game of pool, and I suspected the Canadians wouldn’t be holding onto that shooting trophy for much longer.

The sorting out of my problem had only been the tip of the iceberg. It had taken two days to fix me, and another three to make the Asgard agree to leave Thor alone. The Supreme Commander’s admittedly annoying sarcasm and very bad sense of humour was not life threatening. He was not a danger to anyone. If anything, his acceptance of the need to take risks and his newly developed lateral thinking would be assets to the Asgard.

It had just taken me a lot of talking to convince them.

It was only after Thor and I won the whole of the planet Othalla in poker against Myton and a couple of their top scientists that they caved in and agreed to live with the changes.

Then they sent me back without even a by-your-leave.

I rematerialised in my office.

And groaned.

Whatever happened to the concept of a paperless office?

So with no x-ray vision left with which to fry the mountain of files on my desk, I sat down and got back to the work of running the SGC.

The End