Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Family

by Aussie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
Set between Seasons 8 and 9.
I remember that briefing like it was yesterday.

I'd watched my new 2IC as he bantered with the woman that would be his 2IC. The sparks flew between them and I couldn't resist throwing out the comment about Sam Carter being a lot smarter than Jack O'Neill - much to Kawalsky and Ferretti's amusement.

It hadn't been the most professional thing I could have done, but I'd quickly gotten Jack's measure and knew that he needed someone to keep him from getting too cocky.

The brilliant young Captain-scientist would be just the ticket. She would help keep O'Neill's feet on the ground.

Except that Jack got in a slam at Major Samuels' expense and I saw Sam hide her grin at that.

Oh Good Lord ... she liked his sense of humor!

I should have known that they'd be trouble.

And they were.

With the Jaffa, Teal'c, and the linguist, Daniel Jackson, they flung themselves headlong into everything. It seemed that they courted disaster at every turn and yet ... and yet this group of misfits worked.

Through the years, I watched them grow, alter, suffer, lose, laugh and cry. The bonds were sometimes stretched almost to breaking point - yet something held them together.

They were a family. And like any family, they sometimes didn't like each other all that much, but the love was always there.

Now, I know that many of my rank would mutter about the frat regs at this point. By the letter of the law, this team broke the frat regs with the wake they held when Doctor Jackson was believed dead, with the trip to the Jell-O wrestling match when Sam was harboring Orlin, with the way Jack comforted Sam when Janet Fraiser was killed.

Yet I couldn't bring myself to split up this unbeatable combination. Why mess with success?

The bonds loosened when Jack accepted command of the SGC. They had to. He was now responsible for the welfare of an entire base, not just several oddball individuals.

And now that family is about to be rent asunder. Jack is taking over as Head of Homeworld Security, with a second set of stars, Teal'c is to return to Dakara to help with the newly established Free Jaffa nation, Daniel is off to Atlantis over Jack's loud objections, and Sam is transferring to R&D.

Yet I suspect that the bond will never be entirely broken. Daniel and Jack are engaged in one of their childish round robins, Teal'c watches carefully - as if ready to put them in a timeout if necessary - and Sam ...

Well, I pretend I don't see her hand on Jack's knee or the one he has resting on her thigh. There is a gray area in the regs that they've taken advantage of, and I was less than surprised to see the matching wedding bands when they returned from an impromptu team vacation to Jack's cabin.

I think fondly about two of the missing members of the family - Jacob Carter and Janet Fraiser. They would have loved to have been here.

I raise my glass in a silent toast. To friends. And to family.