Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ashalkali

by Eve
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:

All reviews welcome!  This is one of my older fics but feedback on it is still much appreciated!  Let me know what you think!  For those of you who think they've read it before but there seem to be new chapters, those are just the old ones split in two to satisfy the word limit per chapter on Helio.  Thanks to everyone who fedback on this the first time around!

Set just after Season 3 episode Maternal Instinct

Kapitel Bemerkung:

When Sam and Daniel are trapped offworld, Jack and Teal'c are unable to help them. The situation isn't helped by the fact that both Sam and Daniel have completely lost their memories. Can they remember who they are and find a way home?

There was a beautiful blue sky today, Jack mused.  Barely a wisp of cloud in sight.  Scorching sunshine tempered with a pleasantly cool breeze.  Perfect weather. 

ZAP!  BOOM!

Pity the death gliders had to ruin it, really. 

ZAP!  BOOM!

The ground before O'Neill erupted as a glider just missed its target.

ZAP!  BOOM!

Quickly darting around the new-formed craters, he managed to catch up with Teal'c.  Far to the right of them, Daniel ran.  There was a glider right on his six which was forcing him to divert into the forest border to try and shake it off.  Carter had just managed to make it to the DHD and was frantically pressing chevrons to give them an escape route.  Finally hitting the glowing center, the gate span into life and she began to press in her GDO code.  They had a way out now but Daniel must still be a long way from the gate.  They were gonna have to lay down cover fire for him to...

Suddenly, Jack heard a frantic, "Sam, look out!"

Having burst back out of the forest only twenty metres from the gate, Daniel was now sprinting towards Carter.  She span round to see the death glider bearing down on her.  She dived but it was too late.  The blast from one cannon caught her full in the side.  She careered heavily into Daniel who, grabbing her, lost his footing and smashed into a large outcrop of rock.  The agony clear on his face, he nevertheless managed to roll them out of the way of the next blast and hide them behind the rocks. 

Teal'c and he had now reached the gate.  There was no choice.  They were gonna have to run over there and save their friends before... 

Daniel screamed, "Jack!  The gliders!"

Teal'c said, "O'Neill!"

In its haste to finish off Daniel and Carter, the glider had turned too quickly and careered into the other one.  Now the burning wreckage was heading straight for the gate.  There just wasn't time to get off the ramp.  The only way to avoid getting burnt to a crisp was one swift backwards step.  Sounded easy but it was actually a damned awful step to take.  Choiceless, Jack and Teal'c threw themselves backwards.     


Problem with throwing yourself backwards through the gate, mused Jack painfully, was that you exited as you entered and there was a metal grid ramp on their end which really wasn't the best thing to land on if you didn't want concussion and all the breath knocked out of you. 

He heard Teal'c shout, "You must close the iris now!"

As the titanium shield span into place, ember and debris from the ships flew through it.  There was a large thump then the gate deactivated. 

Hammond had made it down to the gate room, "Where're the other two?  What happened?"

Jack managed a winded, "Dial back... got to... injured...."

Teal'c said, "Indeed we must.  There is little time before the Jaafa reach the gate.  We must retrieve Major Carter and Daniel Jackson before they are captured."

Hammond yelled up, "Dial it up, lieutenant."

As chevrons began to light, Teal'c dragged Jack off the ramp then helped him to his feet.

"Chevron five encoded."

Jack muttered, "Come on.  Come on."

"Chevron six encoded."

Jack closed his eyes as he saw the gate descend into darkness.  The awful pronouncement only confirmed it.  

"Chevron seven... will not engage."

Hammond shouted, "Try again!"
"Yes, sir."

There was almost total silence, save the spinning of the gate.  Jack became aware of the frantic drumming of his heart.  The time for the seven chevrons to spin seemed like an eternity.  What had happened?  Why wouldn't the gate engage?  Damn it!

"Chevron seven... will not engage."


The man awoke with the unpleasant, salty, tang of blood in his mouth.  Groaning, he rolled onto his side.  Wincing as his battered body loudly protested, he saw the injured figure beside him.  It was a woman with short, cropped, blonde hair.  She was badly injured and her breathing was extremely laboured.  Dragging himself across to her side, he managed to cover the hideous burnt skin by tearing strips from the strange apparel that he'd been wearing and binding it tightly around her waist.  Eventually, she began to stir.

"Hello?  Um, Miss?  Can you hear me?"

She blinked and said, "W...where am I?  Why do I hurt all over?"

"You've... been badly injured."

"Who are you?"

"I...  I don't actually know.  I was hoping you might.  Who are you?"

"I'm... I'm... I don't know either."

He sighed again, "Well, I guess we're gonna have to forgo the introductions and find some way outta this forest.  Think you can walk?"

The girl pulled herself up, groaned and collapsed back down heavily.

The guy winced slightly but masked it with a smile, "I'll take that as a no.  I know this is a bit forward of me, seeing as I don't even know your name but..."

He braced himself and carefully picked her up.  His right leg was sending him death threats at the extra abuse he was now dealing it.  Breathing heavily, he fought against the pain, chose a direction and headed through the forest.  Stumbling and falling, he carried her through the forest until it fell behind them and they found themselves on the plains with civilization in sight.

He hoarsely wheezed, "Look... we're gonna make it."

The girl didn't awaken.  Just then, a group of villagers - out gathering plants from the forest - walked past.

The man croaked, "P...please...  Help us..."

His right knee buckled under him and he finally succumbed to the inevitable blackout. 


Jack sat silently on the infirmary bed with his knees almost up to his chest.  His head still ached but he didn't care.  What ever happened to nobody gets left behind, huh, O'Neill?  You preach it to others and what did you just do?  You left them behind.  Should've headed towards them the second you heard Daniel shout.  So you and Teal'c'd have been trapped on the planet too, so what?  Nobody gets left behind.  You and the others would have worked something out.  You always do.  Now what? 

The debriefing was a torment he could really do without.  For a start, it'd mean making his friends' MIA status official.  Secondly, he was going to have to sit and explain how things managed to go so bad.  He only hoped that, somehow, Daniel had managed to spirit himself and Carter away before the Jaafa had reached the gate.  With the gliders destroyed, the Jaafa would most likely assume all four SG-1 members had escaped through the gate.  Question was, was Sam even alive?  Glider charges were more powerful than the blast from the staff and she'd been hit heavily from what he'd seen.  Damnit!  His kids were trapped offworld and - each having the combined IQ of everyone else on base - they were probably the only ones capable of coming up with some way to rescue themselves only they weren't here to come up with it!  MIA!  His kids were damn well missing in action.  To Jack mind, there were far too many times when MIA had ended up being nothing but a euphemism for ‘we know they're dead - we just don't have the bodies to prove it'.  Not this time.  Please god, don't let that happen this time.   


She ached all over.  Where was she?  Her eyes didn't seem in the mood to take orders at the moment so that question was going to have to wait a while longer.  For the moment, the question preying on her mind was: who was she?  She was pretty certain that she normally knew who she was but, try as she might, she couldn't remember. 

A voice drifted through the fog of her muddled consciousness, "Ah, you are walking better today, Ashal."

Another, somehow more familiar voice, replied, "Yes, Yana, my leg barely hurts anymore.  Ralstron's magicks are powerful."

"My husband tells me that Ral has taken a liking to you."
"Kinda.  He says he's impressed I can read the ancient texts."

"I should think he is more than impressed, my young friend.  Ral has spent over twenty years trying to decipher the texts and you wander out of the forest and start reading them as if they were written in our native tongue."
"I can't remember why I can read them, though.  I just... can."

"The memory of Ral's expression when you began to read will give me many years of laughter, Ashal, and for that I thank you."

"Yana, can I ask you a question?"
"Of course."
"Everyone else here seems almost afraid of Ralstron except you, why?"
"Ral and I have known each other since we were children.  My father was the wise-man before him.  I do not fear the power he may wield or the magicks he may conjure because, for me, there is no mystery to them."

"Yana... I get the impression you two don't like each other much.  When I told Ralstron that you'd offered us a place to stay for as long as we want he said that I should stay anywhere but here."

"Perhaps he fears I will infect you with my lack of respect for his position...  You are right; we do not like each other.  When we were young... we did... but... things change."

Ashal seemed to be looking for a way to change the subject, "How's Kala doing?"

"Her wounds have healed but they were most severe.  It may yet be days until she awakens.  Do you still remember nothing of your past?"

"Nada.  First thing I remember is waking up in the forest with Kala beside me."

"Ah, she is an angel, is she not?"

Her eyes finally decided to be cooperative.  Blinking them, she focused on her surroundings.  It was a crude hut made from tree branches bound together with vines.  There was a dull glow from some type of lamp in the corner.  It illuminated the two speakers.  The one whose voice she didn't recognize was no more familiar on sight but... Ashal did look very familiar.  Then, suddenly, she remembered.

Voice croaky, she said, "You saved me."

The man span on his heel and raced to her side, "You're awake!  How d'you feel?"
"Lousy, but I'll live.  What's going on?  Why can't I remember anything?"
Ashal shrugged, "Beats me.  I can't either."

She blinked again, "I... I feel like I know you...  I mean, before waking up in the forest."

"Yeah, I feel that too.  Just don't ask how I know you."

"Well, that makes two of us.  Is your name Ashal?"

"Only temporarily.  It's going to have to do until I remember my real one."

"Ashal?"
"It means 'guardian'.  It was a bit of a joke but it's kinda stuck.  They call you Kala."
"Kala?"
"Yeah, it means 'angel'.  Think it means they like you."

Kala tried to sit up but her side protested.  Ashal grasped her arms gently and pushed her back down onto the bed.

He scolded, "Hey, you concentrate on getting better.  I'll go see if I can figure out where we came from, okay?"
Kala wasn't sure why she trusted this man but she knew that she did.  Well, he was the man who had carried her safely through the forest but, instinctively, she knew their connection ran far deeper than that. 

She nodded and let her eyes close themselves.


Teal'c stood at the bottom of the ramp and waited patiently for the chevrons to spin into place.  It had been an unfruitful few days.  They'd repeatedly tried to redial the planet but the seventh chevron still refused to lock.  Now they were contacting allies to see if anyone would be able to reach the planet by ship.   First port of call, of course, was the Tok'ra. 

Jacob and two other Tok'ra stepped through the gate. 

Jacob said, "Teal'c!  You guys called us?"

"Indeed.  We require your assistance in a most serious matter concerning both your daughter and Daniel Jackson."

Jacob's expression grew serious, "Teal'c, what's happened?"

"Please come to the briefing room and it shall be explained to you."

Jacob had grown increasingly pale during the recounting of the attack. 

"She got hit?"
Teal'c nodded, "Daniel Jackson was unable to reach Major Carter in time.  He was however able to keep her from further harm but he, himself, was injured protecting her."

"How badly was she hurt?"
"We do not know."

Jacob bowed his head and his symbiote, Selmac, looked up, "Do you know which Goa'uld ordered the attack?"

"We encountered Horus guards.  I believe Heru'ur was the Goa'uld responsible."

Selmac glanced to the side, "Rolnoc?  Daro?"

The other Tok'ra looked up.

"Return to the base and attempt to contact our operatives in Heru'ur's service.  See if any of them have heard anything about the capture of two Tau'ri warriors."

Daro replied, "Very well."
Selmac turned to Hammond, "General, if you would allow Rolnoc and Daro to return to the Tok'ra base immediately...?"

"Of course.  Come with me."

When it was just Jacob and the two SG-1 members left, Jacob said, "And now the gate won't activate?"

Teal'c replied, "It is as if it has been buried."

"You said the gliders were coming right for you?"

"Indeed.  We but narrowly prevented their appearance in the embarkation room."

Selmac explained, "A glider is too large to pass through the gate.  When the gate was deactivated, it is likely that the mass of the glider has effectively buried the gate making it impossible to use.  Do the Goa'uld use the stargate regularly?"

Jack spoke for the first time, "No.  It was out in the middle of nowhere.  Practically buried in vines."

"Then I fear the gate may remain buried indefinitely.  Without it, any rescue attempt would be by ship and the planet they are stranded on is on the very outer reaches of this galaxy.  Even with our fastest cargo ships, it would take far too long to reach it."

"They might only have a couple of days."

Jacob raised his head, "Jack, Sam is my daughter.  Believe me, I know what's at stake here but Tok'ra technology just couldn't get us to the other end of this galaxy in time.  I'll contact our operatives in that part of the galaxy and see if there's anything they can do from their end.  If Sam and Daniel are alive and free then they may be able to clear the debris and activate the gate from their end.  If they're still out there then they're looking for a way home."

>< <> >< <> >< <> ><

Yana brought in a cup of purple liquid, "Here, Kala.  This will ease the pain."

Kala gratefully took the cup and sipped it.  It was deliciously sweet. 

"Thanks."

Yana looked around at the blank walls, "I am sorry this barren room is all we could offer you." 

"No, Yana.  This is great.  It was so kind of you to take me in.  I mean, I'm a virtual stranger.  Hell, even I don't know me."

Yana patted her hand kindly, "I feel I know you well, Kala."

A voice at the door said, "Sorry, am I interrupting?"

Yana turned, "Ah, Ashal.  Not at all.  I was just going to go and prepare the evening meal."

Ashal nodded gratefully to her as she passed.

When they were alone, Ashal said, "How you feeling, today?"

"My side still hurts a lot but I feel much stronger now.  Yana says that I might be mobile in a day or two."

"That's good.  I'm glad."

"Ashal?"

"Yeah?"

"Where do we come from?  We don't talk like the others or dress like them.  Everything here seems wrong to me."
"I know.  We must live somewhere where life is very different."

"I wish I could remember something.  Anything.  God, to think you could ever wish as hard as this that you knew your own name."


THREE MONTHS LATER


"Stop smirking."

"I'm not, honestly."

"Yes, you are."

"I'm not, Kals.  I'm really not."

"You are smirking and you're going to stop it this second."

"I really amn't smirking."

"I really don't believe you."

"All right, maybe I'm smiling a little but it's not a smirk."

Kala, coated from head to toe with flour, said, "It's not as easy to make the ceremonial bread as it looks, you know."

"I believe you.  You're doing very well."

"And you can stop with the sarcasm as well."

"I'm not being sarcastic either."

"And I suppose you're about to say the dough's supposed to be running down the sides of the table?"

"Well, actually, I was going to suggest you've overdone it slightly with the water but it's an easy mistake to make."

"You would think after all this time I'd be getting the hang of it."

"Don't worry about it.  Some people just aren't designed to make bread."

"But Verin and Frei say that I'm so hopeless that no-one will choose me.  They told me a woman gets herself a good man by being good at her work.  I can't even do the simple tasks without screwing up.  At this rate, I'm going to be lucky if anyone'll have me."

"I don't think you have to worry, Kals.  For a start, Verin and Frei are bitter, jealous, middle-aged hags who want to make anyone prettier than them totally miserable.  Trust me on this; you'll be the one doing the choosing come the time because I know at least five men who want to be bound to you at the ritual of Malk'pesh.  They'll probably have to have a fight to the death to decide who gets you."

Kala blushed, "Don't tease, Ash."

"I'm not teasing.  It's true.  Those two are right that the men round here like women who are good at their tasks but they forgot to mention that when you've been named ‘Angel' you can probably get away with being just a pretty face."

"It's easy for you, Ash; you don't have to worry about Malk'pesh."
"I still might, you know."
"I thought you'd accepted Ralstron's offer?"

"No, I was going to but something told me I should think about it a little longer."

"But, Ash, it's such an honour to be chosen as apprentice to the wise-man.  How can you pass this up?"
"I thought you didn't even like Ralstron?"

Shivering, Kala replied, "I don't.  He gives me the creeps... but that doesn't make being apprenticed to the wise-man any less of an honour.  Seriously, why would you pass it up?"

Ashal pushed his dented circles of sight back onto the bridge of his nose and wrapped his arms across his chest, "Because I look at the couples who have been joined at Malk'pesh and my heart aches for something that I don't even remember.  I know what an amazing opportunity Ralstron's given me but I don't know if it's what I want.  Kals, are some people just meant to be alone?"   

Kala smiled sympathetically, "I don't know, Ash."

He fell into a contemplative silence.  Kala, meanwhile, turned back to the scribbled instructions of Yana on how to make the ceremonial bread.  She'd thought she'd followed them to the letter but all she'd managed to create was some sticky, almost-dribbling paste that was slowly inching towards the table's edge.

She said, "This is so stupid!  Surely I must have done this a thousand times before.  My mother must have taught it to me when I was little."
"She probably did but, without your memory, you've forgotten how to do it."

Biting her lip, Kala said, "Ash, I think I remember something..."
Ashal's head shot up, "You do?  What?" 

"Cookies."
"Cookies?  What are they?"
"I don't know.  Something like ceremonial bread...  I think.  I remember learning to make them.  They were little circles with... dots in them."

Ashal's brow furrowed, "Little circles with dots in them...  I think I do remember them... they were called... chocolate... walnut cookies?"

"No, I don't think so... chocolate chip cookies."

"Perhaps that's why you find making the bread so hard.  Maybe in our village they make chocolate chip cookies instead."

"Maybe.  All I know is that I'm attracting flour like a magnet."

"Yeah but flour's a good look for you."

His quip was answered by a hastily-grabbed flour bag tipped over his head. 

As he spat out the excess and shook his hair free of the white powder, he glared at Kala.

Then his expression changed to one of confusion, "What's a magnet?"


Janet said, "You all check out fine.  You're free to go."

SG-1 got up and headed for the door.  Only Teal'c remained where he was.

Janet came over, "Was there something else you wanted, Teal'c?"
"I am concerned for the health of Colonel O'Neill."

Motioning for Teal'c to follow her through to her office, she asked, "Why?"
"He grows more withdrawn with each day that passes."
"Teal'c, the problem isn't medical, it's Sam and Daniel.  He misses them the same as we do.  Everyone has their own way of working through loss."

"I believe O'Neill is considering leaving the SGC."

"Leaving?  Has he said something to you?"
Teal'c nodded, "He wishes to retire once more."

"Retire?  He can't."

"He told me that his heart was not longer ‘in it'.  I do not believe O'Neill wishes to fight without Major Carter and Daniel Jackson fighting by his side."

Janet sat down at her desk. 

She said, "I miss them too, Teal'c."

"As do I, Dr Fraiser."

"I can't stand the uncertainty.  I keep waiting for them to just come strolling through the gate."

"They cannot come back through the gate.  If they are still alive then they know that we would have changed the iris codes by now.  They would not attempt to return here."

"I know that but I still keep waiting."

She paused, "D'you think they're alive, Teal'c?"

"I do not know.  They were not captured by Heru'ur but, beyond that, little is certain."

"I even miss having you all in the Infirmary.  I miss the way they all used to joke about.  I never thought I'd want to hear the Colonel nag about my control freak issues."

"Colonel O'Neill is not missing, Dr Fraiser."
"But he's not exactly all here anymore.  Without Sam and Daniel, I'm not sure Colonel O'Neill is the same guy.  I mean, I know he's been through a lot but he always used to seem like he couldn't take anything seriously.  Now, I don't think I can even remember the last time I heard him laugh."

 "I believe you are correct."

"You know what?  I even miss the way Daniel always used to try and sweet-talk his way out of the Infirmary days before I should've let him."


"Ashal, I cannot teach you when you insist on leaving constantly."

Ashal cringed, "Sorry, Master Ralstron, but I promised Yana and Gudol that I'd come and help with the harvest when it was past noon.  They've done a lot for me and I need to repay them for that."

Ralstron scowled at the mention of Yana and Gudol's names, "One day you will hold the most respected position in this village.  Why do you insist on aiding that fool Gudol in his labour?"

Ashal's brows knitted together and his eyes grew dark, "Master, you know I respect you, but I'll not stand here and listen to you speak ill of Gudol or Yana."

"Oh, very well... but when the days of the harvest are over I will expect your undivided attention.  If you are to be my successor then you must learn much."

"I will, master.  I promise.  When the harvest is over I'm all yours."

"And you will pledge yourself to me then."

"Master, the harvesting will be finished in a matter of days.  I need more time to consider your proposal before I can make the pledge."

"I offered you the apprenticeship long ago.  You have had time enough to consider it.  When the harvest ends, I will have an answer."

"Very well, master."

"Good.  Now go."

Ashal sprinted across the village and out into the fields beyond it.  He saw figures moving in the distance.  The first he made out was Yana. 

She must have been a beautiful woman when she was younger.  In fact, she looked very much like an older Kala.  She had a mane of silky gray hair fastened into a soft bun and mischievous blue eyes.  Her smile was infectious.  It lit up her whole face and gave you no choice but to reciprocate.  In fact, Ashal mused, it was almost impossible not to like Yana.  The only person who seemed able to manage it was Ralstron. 

Yana and Kala had grown very close since they'd arrived.  Yana's own daughter had died many years ago and she seemed to appreciate having a daughter figure in the house once again.  Yana also had to be the best cook in the village.  Ashal found himself drooling over the thought of the evening meal all day.  Best time of the day as far as he was concerned.  Just Yana, Gudol, Kala and himself laughing and talking whilst they devoured whatever delight Yana had concocted today.  With such an amazing cook in the house, it was no wonder Kala felt her culinary skills were somewhat lacking. 

As he neared her, she looked up and turned towards him.

A smile playing across her lips, she said, "Ah, Ashal, you have decided to join us after all."

"Sorry, Yana.  Ralstron was on the warpath."

"Ralstron," said Yana sweetly, "is always on the warpath.  Even when we were children he was a grouch.  No doubt he thinks such a menial job as harvesting is below his prodigy."

Ashal chuckled slightly, "Yep, what is it with you two and him?"

"That is a story of far too long ago, Ashal." 

Yana continued, "Well, now you're here you can take over from Gudol.  His back is not what it used to be...  Do not tell him I said that."

"I won't."

Chuckling, Ashal headed over to where Gudol stood.  He was a fragile man whose hair had long since departed from his head.  Whereas Yana was still as sharp as a tack, Gudol's mind was definitely beginning to soften but he was a thoroughly pleasant character nonetheless. 

Ashal said, "Gudol?"

Gudol halted in his work and turned, "Ashal."

"I thought I might take over the scything for a while?"

"Nonsense, I could cut another field."

Tactfully, Ashal said, "I don't doubt it, but I really have to work on my swing.  Maybe I could cut the swathes and you could watch and tell me where I'm going wrong?"

Falling for it, Gudol handed the scythe to his young lodger.  As Ashal sliced through the swathes, Gudol, contented, offered advice on angle and speed. 

Eventually, when the harvesting for the day was over, Ashal wandered wearily up to the water trough and splashed his sweaty, dirty face.  A shadow fell across the water.

A voice said, "Quite the farmer, Ash.  Maybe you should follow in Gudol's footsteps instead of Ralstron's."

He looked round to see Kala.  She was picking stray chaff out of her hair. 

"I was thinking about it actually.  I mean, I enjoy learning what Ralstron teaches me but I don't like his attitude.  Farming could be just as rewarding in its own way.  It'd certainly keep me in shape."

Kala smiled and slipped past him to get at the water. 

As she splashed her face, Ashal said, "So did you remember anything else?"

Kala shook her head, "Nothing since the cookies.  What about you?"

"Only that a lot of the things Ralstron teaches me I think I knew before."

"Perhaps you were our wise-man?  Or his apprentice?"

"I don't know...  Listen, Kals, I told Ralstron I won't translate any more of the ancient texts for him until he gives us back the strange objects Yana says came with us.  Maybe they'll help jog our memories."


Kala looked apprehensively at the equipment they had been carrying when they'd been in the forest.  Walking across the room, Ashal opened the shutters to let the sunlight into his darkened room.  Kala's eyes picked up the glint coming from one of the blades.  She frowned.  

"We were both armed.  Why?"

Ashal shrugged, "Perhaps we were hunters?  Or warriors?"

Kala carefully picked up one of the strange devices with numbers on it.

She said, "This..."

Gently placing it onto her arm, she joined the straps, dangling from it, together so it was secured to her forearm.

Ashal said, "What is it?"
Holding her arm up so the device was clearly visible, she said, "It looks like some strange bracelet.  I don't remember exactly but you had to press some of these numbers.  It was important that it wasn't lost."      

Dropping the knife back onto his bed, Ashal picked up the largest of the black things.  It had a strap to be held on your shoulder. 

He said, "This is dangerous."

Kala looked up from her arm device to see what Ashal was talking about.  She watched as his hands moved into what seemed the correct positions to hold the device.

She said, "Yes, it's a weapon."

"This small curled piece triggers it."

"It's more powerful than a bow or a knife."

"I remember... but why did we have such powerful weapons with us?"

"I... I don't remember..."

She trailed off as she spotted something.  Fishing through the clutter, she pulled out a silver chain.  It had two silver tags outlined in black dangling from it.

Ashal recognized it, "You were wearing that in the forest.  Around your neck."

Kala let it dangle in the light.  As it shone, she noticed something. 

Grabbing hold of the tags, she said, "There's some kind of engraving on this."

Ashal looked at it, "Maj Carter?  I wonder what the numbers mean?"

Kala said, "Hey, maybe that's the code that's supposed to go into the number bracelet."

"Try it and see."

Kala tried it, "No, it doesn't do anything.  The numbers must mean something else."

"Carter...  Carter...  Maj...  Carter... no... not Maj...  Major Carter."

In Kala's head, the words were repeated by an unknown voice.

She said, "I remember someone.  He had a deep, deep voice..."

With the beginning of an idea forming in his mind, Ashal let Kala drift into contemplation before saying, "Major?"

Without her brain even engaging, Kala turned back to him saying, "Yes, sir?"

Ashal smiled, "Kals, I think we've just found out who you are."

"You mean this is my name?"

"You answered to it.  You... also called me ‘sir' but that raises a whole lot more questions than I can cope with at this precise point in time.  Now, what about the man?"

"The man?"
"Yeah, the one with the deep voice."

"I don't remember much.  I just remember that he... called me Major Carter.  His skin was dark... like the fur of the Maltia cubs.  His name was... strange to me even back then...  I don't think he was from the same village as us."

Ashal dropped the powerful black weapon and said, "Teal'c."
Kala's head shot up, "You remember him?"
"Yes.  His name means ‘strength'.   You're right; he didn't come from our village.  He's a warrior."


Ralstron and Ashal swept carefully through the forest. 

"Ashal, observe."

Ralstron bent down next to two near identical plants. 

"This plant is an important ingredient in the elixir that prevents you from sneezing.  However..."

He hovered his hand next to the plant's neighbour, "...this plant produces a most deadly toxin."

"Comforting thought next time I take the elixir."

"Rest easy, Ashal.  These plants may look identical but there are signs by which you can distinguish them.  The poisonous one has a pale tip on each leaf and the stem is covered in tiny thorns.  Check carefully before you pull the leaves for the elixir."

"Oh believe me, I will."

Picking leaves from the good plant, Ralstron replied, "Good.  Now I must collect some more plants for my medicines.  These you may not know of until you have made the pledge.  Wait here for me."
"Yes, master."

Ashal kicked at the ground aimlessly as he waited for his master to return.  The harvest would be finished in two days and then Ralstron expected an answer.  It was made worse by the fact that he and Kala were beginning to remember their lives before the forest.  Now they were remembering, he was getting uneasy about Kala taking part in Malk'pesh.  Binding herself to a man in this village was all right for Kala but perhaps Major Carter wouldn't want to be bound to one.  Just as they'd begun accepting that their pasts were going to have to remain blank, sketchy details were coming back to them.  What if he made the pledge then found he had commitments in his village?  What then?  The pledge was even more binding than Malk'pesh.  He had just two days to make a decision that might affect the rest of the life of a man he didn't remember - the one who knew who Teal'c was and ate cookies and dressed in that strange green cloth.  He wasn't that man anymore but what if he became him again?  Could he make decisions for himself when he didn't even truly know who he was? 

A plaintive cry behind him made him turn.  There, on the ground, crawled an injured Maltia cub.  The Maltia were cute, very trusting, docile little creatures which ate plants.  They had deep brown fur and large black eyes.  Their ears were soft semicircles on top of their heads.  This one must have been the runt of the litter.  It was too small and looked half-starved.  Impulsively, Ashal picked it up and stroked it. 

Ralstron, appearing back in the clearing, said, "Abandoned by its mother.  The smallest usually is."

"It's hurt."

"Unsurprising.  There are many predators in these woods.  Maltia are easy prey.  Especially the young amongst them.  It will not survive more than a few days."

"Yes it will.  I'm going to take it back to the village."

"May I ask why?"

"Kala likes Maltia.  Yana taught her to hand-rear them."

"A gift then?"
"Kinda."
"Ashal, is Kala the reason you hesitate to accept the pledge?"

"Kala?  What makes you think that?"
"Answer my question.  Malk'pesh is fast approaching and Kala is very beautiful.  Is she the reason?"

Puzzled, Ashal replied, "No, of course not."
"Then why?"
"Because I'm not sure I've got the right to decide for a man I don't remember."

"Ashal, we have discussed this many times before.  I believed you were in agreement with me that, without your memory, the man you used to be might as well be dead."


The young maltia seemed better now it had calmed down.  Ashal stroked it gently.  He was sitting on the top of the small hillock overlooking the village.  What was he doing up here?  He'd carried Ralstron's basket back to his house for him then he'd intended to head home to give Kala the cub.  For some reason, though, he'd found himself climbing up here instead.  Now he wasn't even sure how long he'd been sitting up here.  This was all wrong.  Nothing about the planet was familiar.  For a start, at night there were four moons in the sky - Ralstron said there had always been four - so why did he remember there being only one?  He didn't remember this deep tangled forest and yet the whole planet was like this from what he'd been told.  He smiled slightly at the thought that perhaps he and Kala were from some other planet then scowled as the words rang true.  Surely not?  From another world?  Ridiculous.  Yet a part of him kept insisting that it wasn't ridiculous at all - that it was the truth.  Could it really be?  Nah, his imagination was running away with him again.  For crying out loud, Ashal, would you listen to yourself?  Geez...

A female voice said, "Whatcha doing all the way up here, Ash?"
Ashal smiled and motioned for Kala to sit beside him. 

Gratefully accepting his invitation, she said, "Penny for your thoughts."

"Keep your money, Kals.  These thoughts aren't worth it."
Kala's brow wrinkled up, "Why?"
"Well, the latest one is that we're from another planet and the rest aren't much better."

Kala laughed, "Another planet..."

Then the laughter died and her eyebrows knitted together, "Another planet...  Ash... I think we really might be."
Ashal's eyes widened, "What?"
"I don't know why but the idea that we're from another planet doesn't seem half as ridiculous to me as it should."

"Me neither... I figured my imagination was running away with me."

"Well, I'm not so sure.  It sounds... right..."

Ashal picked up the cub, "Here.  I found Teal'c for you."

Kala grinned, "Teal'c?"
"Well you said his skin was the colour of a Maltia cub, right?"

"Little smaller than the Teal'c I remember."

"And furrier... but he'll have to do for now."

"He's so cute."

As Kala fussed over the cub, Ash looked up at the sky again and said, "I'm turning down the apprenticeship."

"What?!  Why?!"

"I can't take the pledge."

"Is this about Malk'pesh?"

"No, I just get the feeling that, when I remember everything, I won't be able to stick around here.  Besides, he's being very impatient lately."

Kala eventually said, "If you're not taking the pledge then I'm not taking part in Malk'pesh.  If you're leaving then I'm coming too."

Ashal smiled warmly, "Glad to hear it seeing as that's what I was just gonna bring up.  See, I get the feeling you won't be able to stick around either."


Teal'c glanced across the briefing-room table at O'Neill.  The last few months, Teal'c had been forced to watch his friend grow thinner, grayer and more withdrawn.  SG-1 had been on active duty for a month and three weeks with its new members, Lieutenant Archer and Captain Neilson.  The lieutenant was fluent in six languages - including Goa'uld - and had a good knowledge of ancient history.  Captain Neilson was another astrophysicist transferred from the Pentagon.  They were both very good at their jobs, decent and honorable.  The kind of team-mates who'd go above and beyond the call of duty.  Teal'c liked and deeply respected them both.  Neilson was astoundingly intelligent and inventive.  Archer had a great sense of humor which rivaled O'Neill's back when he'd had one and - though he unwaveringly obeyed the Colonel  - clearly had that same anti-authoritarian streak that meant he wasn't afraid to stand up to those who outranked him.  O'Neill, meanwhile, was a shadow of his former self.  Teal'c hadn't seen his friend smile for months now.  Sure, he'd sometimes force his mouth into an upturned curve but it never reached his eyes.           

Hammond said, "All right, you have a go.  Tomorrow at 0900.  Be here for the briefing at 0800.  Dismissed."

Teal'c, Neilson and Archer got up and walked out.  Hammond noticed Jack hadn't made a move. 

Hammond said, "Colonel, come through to my office."


Once they were alone in Hammond's office, the General said, "Something on your mind, Jack?"

"Actually, sir, there is."


"What is it?"


"Retirement."

"Jack, you've tried that one before.  You couldn't stay away."

"I'm tired, sir."

"Well then maybe after a good night's sleep you'll..."

"No, sir, I'm tired of the whole thing."

"Sit down, Jack."

Obligingly, Jack sat down. 

Slowly General Hammond said, "It's been three months since..."

"Yes, sir."

"I know you blame yourself for what happened to them but it wasn't your fault.  You are the most experienced officer I have, Colonel."

"I can be replaced, sir."

Thinking of SG-1's newbies, he added heavily, "Anyone can be replaced."

"Jack, what happened to Major Carter and Dr Jackson was understandably traumatic for you and I know it doesn't make it any easier that they have to remain officially MIA but it doesn't make the work you do here any less vital."

"Yes, sir.

"You've got some leave due.  When you get back from tomorrow's mission, I want you to take that leave.  SG-1's been busy for the last month and I'm sure the other three would benefit from some time off-duty as well.  Get yourself away from the base for a while.  Clear your head.  Go fishing or something."

Jack nodded, "Sir."

"Just... give it time, Jack."

Half-heartedly, Jack nodded and headed out of the office.  Give it time?  How much time?  How much time was going to take away the guilt?  How much time was going to let him move on?  He still heard them everywhere.  He'd find himself wandering up to Daniel's office only to find Archer or Nian who would obligingly ask what he wanted at which point he'd make some excuse and leave.  He'd find himself trying to track them down at meal-times.  He'd hear laughter and think it was them.  Sure, he still had Teal'c and he still had SG-1 but Jack couldn't help but view the two newbies as intruders.  They'd usurped the positions of Carter and Daniel as far as he was concerned.  He knew they were nice guys and damn fine officers to boot but he wouldn't let them befriend him.  They were subordinates; he was the CO.  It was clean.  It was simple.  He'd made everything too messy and complicated when he'd let Carter and Daniel befriend him.  He was too wise to let that happen again.  He'd been good at keeping that necessary distance from those under his command for a long time until Daniel had shown up and broken down all those militaristic walls of his; until Carter had turned up and reminded him that he could still care for someone.  He'd let his team-mates become his dearest friends and most trusted confidantes.  Not again.  Never again.  He wasn't letting himself go through this hell again about anyone else.  Damn it! 


Kala grinned, "Isn't he adorable?"

Yana smiled, "Very.  Have you thought of a name yet?"

"Yes.  Teal'c."

"Tilk?  What an odd name."

"It's Teal'c.  Ash named him.  He's someone I think we used to know."

"Then you are beginning to remember who you are?"


Kala nodded and, still stroking Teal'c, pulled off the chain hanging around her neck.

She said, "My name is Major Carter.  I still don't remember much though."

"I fear you will always be Kala to me."

"I wouldn't have it any other way, Yana.  Here, I want you to have this."

Accepting the chain, Yana said, "Why?"


"I'm not exactly sure but Ash has a feeling that if we remember everything then we won't be able to stay here anymore and I trust his instincts."

Yana smiled weakly, "I would be sad to see you leave, Kala."

"I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon but... well nothing's certain anymore.  The chain... it's just in case."

Yana nodded and hugged her young friend warmly. 

Then she asked, "What of Ashal?  I hear Ralstron wants him to make the pledge.  He cannot make it if he will be leaving."

"Yeah, Ash and I were talking it over earlier.  He says he'll turn Ralstron down."

"Then what if you decide to remain in the village?"

"Well, he's good with a scythe and your fields won't harvest themselves."

"I suppose Malk'pesh is also to be postponed?"

"Yeah.  It'd be too risky until I know for sure who I am or know for sure that I'll never know who I was."

"The young men of the village will be beside themselves with grief when you do not step forward to be chosen.  Your beauty has not gone unnoticed by them."

Kala smiled sheepishly, "I think they'll get over it."


The next day, Yana rose early and, having prepared the morning feed for Teal'c, padded through to Kala's room.  She was disturbed to see that the bed hadn't been slept in.  Teal'c slept in his makeshift basket.  After waking him and feeding him, Yana picked up the sleepy maltia and headed across to Ashal's room.  After he failed to answer her loud knocking, she pushed his door open.  His bed hadn't been slept in either.  Where were they?  It wasn't like them to stay out all night.  Last she'd seen of either of them was in the early evening when Kala had bounded into the kitchen with Teal'c draped around her neck and started going on about something she'd remembered that she had to tell Ashal.  Then Kala had handed her Teal'c and raced out of the house.  Now vaguely worried, Yana woke her husband.

"Did you see Ashal or Kala last night?"

Gudol rubbed his eyes wearily, "Yes, I saw Kala for a moment."

"What was she doing?"

"She went to Ashal's room and brought out some strange black device."

"Did she say where she was going?"

"I did not get the chance to ask her.  She appeared to be in a hurry."

Thanking her husband, she headed off, still carrying Teal'c, to look for the two of them.  The last anyone had seen of Kala was her scurrying towards the forest as it got dark with some strange black device.  When she asked about Ashal, no-one had seen him since he'd gone to Ralstron's in the late afternoon.  Oh where were they?  She walked back to the house and dropped Teal'c into his basket.  

Suddenly, she heard a frantic cry, "Ash!  Ash!"

Yana came running out of the house to find Kala standing there with tears streaming down her cheeks.

Concerned, she asked, "Kala?"

Talking fast, she cried, "I can't find him.  I can't find him."

"I am sure Ashal is fine."

"I've looked everywhere!  I even looked in the forest!  Where's he gone?  What if he's left without me?  What if he's been captured by the ones who attacked us in the first place?  I need him!  He wouldn't leave without me!  He swore he'd never leave without me.  Something must have happened to him!"



Coffee in hand, Jack walked sluggishly down the stairs from his quarters to the control room.  It was only seven in the morning and he wasn't due down for another hour but it was time for the weekly dialing attempt to the planet where he'd left his team-mates behind.  He always ended up down here for it.  He'd go to sleep the night before telling himself that, even if they weren't both dead, the gate still buried so there was no reason to put himself through the torment of watching the gate spin then nothing happen.  Despite that, he always ended up here. 

"Chevron five encoded."

The gate continued to spin. 

"Chevron six encoded."

Now the gate began its final spin.  Jack raised his coffee to his lips and closed his eyes awaiting the inevitable...

"Chevron seven... locked!"

Nearly drowning himself by inhaling a couple of lungfuls of coffee, Jack cried, "Wh... what?!"

As the event horizon burst into existence, the bemused sergeant said, "It... locked, sir.  The gate's active."

Jack pressed clumsily down on the microphone button, "General Hammond to the control room.  SG-1 to the control room."

Still half-choking, he said, "MALP, send the MALP."

The sergeant nodded, "Sending MALP now, sir."

When the robotic probe appeared on the other side, its cameras started to send information back.  However, in the distance, Jack saw a sight that made his blood run cold.  He saw Goa'uld landing sites being built.

Kapitel Abschlussbemerkung:

Hey, what did you think?  Tell me what you liked about it (or what you didn't)!  Feedback is always much appreciated!