Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Interlude

by Vesta
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Interlude

Interlude

by Vesta

TITLE: Interlude
AUTHOR: Vesta
EMAIL: ecky@chariot.net.au
CATEGORY: Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Nemesis
SEASON / SEQUEL: 3
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship
SUMMARY: While they wait for the Beta Gate to be activated after their escape from Beliskner, Sam & Jack finally talk about their relationship.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I haven't seen ANY of S4 yet - but I was so frustrated with the way Sam & Jack were separated in Nemesis (final ep S3) just as they were seemingly about to get their act together (!!!!) that I decided to let them have the "conversation they decided to keep to themselves" mentioned in Divide and Conquer S4. I understand from my o/s friends that we never found out for sure what was said - so here's my version!!!

Jack watched in silence as Teal'c crossed the clearing to vanish into the woods. The big Jaffa had announced his intention to conduct a wide search of the area, in that their ordinance and survival equipment had been reduced to absolute basics in their evacuation from the doomed Beliskner; he said he was checking for large predators, establishing a perimeter.

Jack knew better. The Jaffa had seen the look on his face when he saw Major Carter appear in front of him on Beliskner's bridge, in defiance of his direct orders - and it had not been a look a CO should give to a team member. Resigned at having to "go down with the ship" in order to save Earth, he hadn't been prepared for her jumping into the same deathtrap - and it tore the lid off his emotions. He'd yelled at her, but in his eyes was the heart-fear that now she would die too, and he couldn't help her ... Teal'c had seen that fear. So had she, and her eyes were just as wild as she'd yelled right back at him that Hammond had overruled him. It was as well she'd come, he admitted it, only Carter could have finessed the highly sophisticated Asgard technology even with Thor's help - BUT! She should have been safe, alive, back on Earth ... instead, now, everything was balancing on a knife edge; he and Sam were being scrupulously correct with one another, and the air in their makeshift camp was sizzling with tension. Teal'c was effectively removing himself from the arena, knowing without being told that a witness was the last thing Jack wanted or needed - because he was about to break regulations that could get him courtmartialled and Carter severely punished. There was no way out of it, it had to be done; things had finally gone beyond the point where reflexive denial of what was happening between them worked. They had to face it, and deal with it ... and they had to do it together.

He sighed heavily, shoving his hands deep into his jeans pockets as he turned to look back toward the camp. Thor's life capsule was nestled close beside the shelter he and Teal'c had thrown up for Carter - despite her protests of course - and she was inspecting the control panels intently. For a long moment he just watched her, letting her living presence dominate his senses. In the dappled sunlight, her short-cropped golden hair glowed warm above the lovely, fine-boned face, and as she inspected all sides of the capsule her movements were contained and assured. He'd been attracted to her from day one; the way she'd stood up to him in the face of his blatant mistrust and disdain of scientists had earned his respect - and he certainly hadn't been been oblivious to her femininity. Even in combat fatigues she was worth a man's second look, and it was the fact he'd actually started looking himself that had scared him. The day so long ago now that he'd walked into that Mongol tent and seen her in full Shavadi costume, so beautiful, so outraged and so totally female, had been the beginning of his now-constant battle to suppress his imagination. Alone on Beliskner, he'd told her goodbye the only way he could with Hammond and the rest of his team watching the transmission, had seen his feelings reflected in her pale, stricken face, and for what he thought was his last hour alive had allowed himself the luxury of imagining what it would have been like between them ...

And now , here they were, both still alive, and alone together with none to witness any "militarily prohibited" behaviour - and his liberated imagination was running rampant. He knew how he felt. He was almost sure she felt the same, and that she knew he knew ... but did she know how he felt? He'd thought so, when she'd run after him just before Thor beamed him away, but then the shit had hit the fan and life had changed. Eveything had changed ... a jolt went through him as she suddenly looked up, meeting his stare full-on across the ten metres of space between them, and even at that distance he saw the convulsive swallow. One hand pressed briefly to her stomach in a completely female reaction of panic before she fisted it and turned abruptly back to the capsule, and he ground his teeth helplessly. Okay, that did it. Enough's enough ... he walked over to stand at the opposite end of the lifepod, regarding her steadily."Major," he greeted her gravely. "How's he doin'?""Everything seems to be fine, sir. His lifesigns are stable, and if I'm reading them correctly some seem to be stronger than before. I think he may be improving, actually." She met his eyes briefly, flashing a small tentative smile, and Jack nodded. That was good news ... but."Good. In that case you can leave off hovering for a minute - I want to talk to you."

A stillness came over her, and all the wariness of a cornered deer was in her eyes as she stared at him.

"Yes sir?"

"There's the small matter of your recent insubordination, Major," he began, putting enough sarcasm into his voice to hopefully disarm her. "Did I or did I not give you a direct order not to come up to Thor's ship? And did I not further say it was final?"

Anger flared in the blue eyes, and she replied tightly,

"I told you, sir - General Hammond overruled you. He felt the three of us together stood more chance of being able to destroy Beliskner and effect an escape as well."

"And of course you said nothing to dissuade him," he shot back. "Dammit, Carter - do you really think I'm so dumb I couldn't follow Thor's instuctions?"

"Advanced technology is MY area of expertise, sir!" She was truly angry now, and almost shouted it. "You needed me there!"

"I needed you on Earth, safe and alive," he snapped. "Besides which, you spoiled my last big chance to be a hero - and that just pisses me off!"

She drew in a trembling breath, her cheeks flaming with righteous indignation.

"Well, I'm really sorry about that, sir," she bit out, voice shaking in fury, "but I'd rather have you alive and pissed off at me than dead with another damn medal!" This time she did shout, and as her voice cracked on the last word anguished tears welled in her eyes beyond any ability she had to control them.

"There was no need to risk yourself and Teal'c," he continued relentlessly, even thought the urge to pull her into his arms and soothe her was overwhelming. "I'd made my decision, there was no other way."

"Yes there was, and we took it," she said defiantly. "Teal'c and I volunteered to come. You've done it for us in the past - why should you think we wouldn't do it for you? Why is it so hard for you to let us?" Her voice was literally quavering as she finished, and he couldn't stand the pain in her face any longer.

" 'Us', Samantha?" He reached out to carefully touch the one tear that had escaped to glisten wetly on her cheek, his fingers gentle as fairy breath, and stunned hope flared in her eyes.

"I couldn't let you go like that," she whispered. "I just couldn't ..."

"Are you crying, Major?" Tears ran over his fingers as he smiled down into her suddenly radiant face, all doubt gone from his mind at the sight.

"No sir," she denied huskily, smiling back.

"Ohhh, I think you are," he drawled, stroking the loose curls away from her temples. "Only woman I know who can chew me out and bawl at the same time ... what am I goin' to do with you, Sam?"

"I don't know," she stammered, "but ... a hug would be nice right now ..."

He took her face in his hands and drew her closer, murmuring,

"Ohh ... I think I can do better than that ..."

He meant it to be light, a gentle promise of affection and intimacy to come, but when her lips parted silkily under his every stray yearning that had devilled him for the past two years reared up screaming. His fingers locked in her hair with the effort of controlling his urge to crush her against him and bear her to the ground, and all he could do was whisper her name hoarsely.

"I love you," she half-sobbed it, tears streaming unheeded down her cheeks. "I love you, Jack..."

Her mouth was open and eager as he kissed her again, and fire exploded in his belly as she nestled against him like a settling cat, arms wrapping tightly around his waist to hold him close. For so long he'd dreamed about this, wanted it more than anything - and now she was in his arms, warm, strong and trusting ...

"I love you, Sam ..." he released her mouth long enough to whisper it loud and clear. No going back now, even if he'd wanted to. Somehow, they would get around the regulations, find a way to be together. He wasn't giving this up, not for anything - if he had to he'd retire - again - and flat out refuse to be recalled a third time. Sam could continue with whatever career she wanted, be it airforce or civilian astrophysics - bet she wouldn't give up the Stargate program though - but he'd be out of it, and they'd be free.

"What are we going to do," she whispered, pushing her nose into the hollow under his ear. "We could both be drummed out of the airforce, certainly out of SGC - Jack, what if we get found out?"

"We'll worry about that when - and IF - it happens ... Sam ?" he drew back to look down into her tear-streaked face. "You do want this ... don't you?" For a horrible minute doubt assailed him again; but when she lifted her hands to cradle his face, her eyes liquid with emotion, it finally fled for good and all.

"Yes, Jack, I want this. I want you ..."

"Teal'c will be gone for at least four, five hours," he ventured into the suddenly intent silence, hands spreading suggestively on her back. "Thor's still out cold ... isn't he?"

Even he heard the wheedling note in his voice, and had to grin crookedly at the humorous turn this most serious of conversations had taken - a grin that got wider as she started to giggle.

"Aww - no giggling, please," he admonished her in the most long-suffering voice he could summon. "I've told you before about that ..."

"It's not so cold here," she pointed out, threading her fingers through his hair and stretching up to kiss him lightly on the chin.

"Good," was all he could manage as he drew her even closer. "Just as well ... "

She was only a head shorter than him and solid with it - but he still managed to sweep her up into his arms and carry her to the snug little shelter; and as she curled herself around him in the thick layer of bracken on the ground he stopped even trying to think. As far as he was concerned, they could take as long as they wanted to uncrate the Beta Stargate - he had Sam, at last, finally they were together - and he wasn't giving that up for anything.

Anything at all.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Vesta