Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Infatuation

by Unicorn
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Infatuation

Infatuation

by Unicorn

TITLE: Infatuation
AUTHOR: Unicorn
EMAIL: unicorn_sg1@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Mild Romance
SPOILERS: Fifth Race, In the Line of Duty, Singularity, Bloodlines/Family (can't remember which) The Movie and COTG
SEASON / SEQUEL: Anytime after the aforementioned spoilers
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship, bad guy getting shot?
SUMMARY: A new friend for Sam is not all that he seems.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: I didn't invent them, wish I had though. Big round of applause for the folks that did (Double Vision, Gekko etc). I do however, own Arbosk, and his ilk. You can borrow them if you ask nice.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This was my first fic ever. I woke up at 6am and started writing one day. The only beta-ing had been by Word itself, but I did proofread. PLEASE give me feedback, even if it's bad!

A large grey blue blob basks in the sun, ripples of colour spreading up and down its length. It is growing weak with the hunger it feels but the birds and other primitive animals here cannot feed it.

Arbosk will die, and soon. It surveys the land around it, green and lush with exotic fruits and pine trees. The small animals that roam around skirt the rock on which Arbosk lies. They fear it. And rightly so.

Arbosk extended a part of its self and looked to the stone monolith. It is the only chance for survival and a slim hope it was indeed. Arbosk did something that might have been a sigh had it had lungs. Ah well. It was a good place to die.

Suddenly there was grinding sound. Arbosk swung it's "head" back around to look at the stone circle. It was being activated by someone. At last. Unless Arbosk was very unlucky it would live.

The thing pulled its self of the rock and moved with surprising speed to a grove of trees. Arbosk must see the newcomers before they saw it. The last few inched of it disappeared from sight just as the last chevron engaged. The vortex swirled forward from the Stargate then sucked back into the wormhole. Four figures emerged from the swirling plane that so closely resembled Arbosk.

Major Samantha Carter walked down the stone steps from the 'Gate and looked around, just to make sure they were all there. They were.

"Ok peoples", Colonel O'Neill called, "lets get camp set up. Carter, you and Teal'c secure the perimeter, me and Daniel'l set up."

"Yes Sir," she replied and moved off. Teal'c went east so she headed into the forest to the west. She loved this part of her job. Exploring, meeting aliens, even thought, she reminded herself, technically they were Humans. Most of them anyhow. Working out the co-ordinates was only part of the fun. Sam moved through the thick brush looking at the animals skittering in the undergrowth. They seemed not to have seen people before, they weren't afraid of her.

Suddenly she heard a noise. It was a squidgery clickery sound. Major Carter slowly pivoted around looking for the source of it. Then it stopped, to be replaced with the sound of somebody moving through the wood. Sam frowned. They had seen no sign of humans but that didn't sound like any animal. It sounded like somebody crashing in a forest not trying to conceal themselves. And it was heading her way. She swung her gun around so she could get at it quickly. The noise stopped and out of the undergrowth a man stepped.

Samantha tried hard not to gasp. He was the most handsome man she had ever seen, cuter than O'Neill and Daniel even. His hair were brown and his eyes were a grey blue colour sort of like the wormhole she noted absently and his skin was tanned. He was wearing a leather jacket that look homemade so not from an advanced culture.

Carter felt with the part of her that was still even now Jolinar but she couldn't sense a Goa'uld. That made her glad for some reason. The man smiled tentatively and Sam realized she was staring.

She let her gun swing back and smiled. "Hello."

"Hello," he replied. His voice was deep and...fluid. That was the only way to describe it.

"I'm Major Samantha Carter. I am from Earth."

"You are of the Tau'ri?" he asked.

Sam blinked. Few peoples remembered the Tau'ri or Earth.

"I am Arbosk," the man said. "You are surprised I know of the Tau'ri?"

"Well, yes," Sam admitted. "Not many people remember where they come from. Have you meet people from Earth before?"

"No," Arbosk said. "I have never had that pleasure."

Sam ducked her head. He had made it a complement to her somehow.

"Are you the only one here?" she asked.

"Regrettably yes. I am the only one on this planet."

"What happened to all the others? Or did you travel here?"

"I traveled here with several others from my home planet. But they are gone now." Arbosk looked so very sad. Sam felt such a surge of compassion for him that she reached out and patted his shoulder, not sure what to say.

"I'm sorry." She felt static jump and run along her arm and down her back.

"It was a time ago. But I could not return and I have nowhere else to go." He made an effort to smile. "But on to more cheerful things. You travel through the Gate alone?" His tone made Sam smile. Why did males always worry about her? Dad and Mark were the worst but Dad had got better since he had joined with Selmak. It was funny when O'Neill and Daniel worried because she usually ended up saving them. Teal'c never seemed to worry about anything, but she had seen his face when he though Drey'auc and Ry'ac were hurt.

"No, I'm here with some others." Sam explained. "We are exploring from Earth."

"I would like to meet these others" Arbosk said. "Will you introduce me to them?"

"Of course," Sam smiled, "this way". She led him back the way she had come towards camp and the 'Gate.

Colonel Jack O'Neill watched as Carter walked out of the woods with the stranger. He glanced at Doctor Daniel Jackson and raised his eyebrows. Daniel shrugged back.

"She just can't help herself can she," Jack joked.

Daniel smiled. "At least she's got good taste."

Jack stood up as Carter and the strange man approached. "What ya got there Carter?"

"Colonel, Daniel, this is Arbosk" she said indicating the stranger. "Arbosk this is Colonel O'Neill and Doctor Jackson". She glanced around. "Teal'c should be around here somewhere."

"Good to meet you Arbosk" Jack said and stuck his hand out. Arbosk looked at it wonderingly and looked back at Carter.

"Oh um you shake it," she explained.

Arbosk gave a look like the one Teal'c was always giving them and took his hand.

Daniel smiled and extended his hand. "Glad to meet you Arbosk. You from this planet?"

"No from another, but I cannot return there," Arbosk replied as he shook Daniel's hand.

Jack looked at Carter. She seemed glad that they had accepted him. In fact she hadn't stopped grinning since she had got back here. He hadn't moved far from her either.

Seemed Carter had got herself another admirer.

"Colonel O'Neill"

"Ah Teal'c you're back," Jack called back.

Teal'c looked at Arbosk questioningly.

"Teal'c this is Arbosk," Jack said grandly. "Arbosk this is Teal'c"

Teal'c looked Arbosk up and down then turned back to O'Neill. "It seems there is nothing to endanger us here," he stated.

"Did you find anything dangerous here Arbosk?" Daniel asked. The alien had moved back to Carter's side.

Arbosk looked straight at Jack. "No. Unless you are very foolish that is." Jack felt somehow that Arbosk had been referring to him. He felt needlessly rattled and tried to stare Arbosk down. The stranger looked calmly back before turning back to Carter.

"You allow your mates much freedom," he said.

Carter blushed and ducked her head for a second. Daniel was to busy laughing to notice but Jack realized something. Carter was really falling for this guy.

He watched as she regained her composure. "No Arbosk. They're not my mates. Tau'ri women have only one mate." Arbosk still looked confused so Jack stepped in.

"Our bosses on Earth decide who we travel with. We don't choose."

"Then you are fools," Arbosk said quietly. Carter blushed again.

Jack decided that he really did not like this guy, and that Carter and Daniel obviously did. Teal'c didn't seem to have made up his mind yet.

"Teal'c, Daniel, Carter, a word please. You'll excuse us Arbosk." He walked a way from the campsite and waited for the others to catch up.

"Well," he asked when they were all there, "what do we do with this guy?" It was a rather rhetorical question since he was in charge and what he said went but he always asked for his teams advice.

"We can't leave him here," said Carter.

"Why not?" Jack replied.

"Oh come on Jack," said Daniel. "You heard him. Who ever else came with him here is gone. There's nothing left for him here. I say we take him home. If he wants to come, that is," he added.

"Teal'c?" the Colonel asked.

"I see no harm in Arbosk returning to Earth with us."

Jack watched Carter's face. She really wanted Arbosk to come back with them. Correction back with her.

"We'll talk to him and see what he wants to do," Jack decided. "Carter, he seems to like you, -," another blush, "- find out some more about him."

"Yessir." Carter walked quickly back to Arbosk.

"Daniel," Jack said quietly once she was out of earshot.

"Hmmmm?"

"Whaddya think?"

"I think she likes him."

"Ya think? Teal'c?"

"I believe Major Carter has developed an attachment to this Arbosk."

Jack looked at him in shock. "Wow Teal'c. You're getting good at this telling emotions thing." Teal'c gave him the look and Daniel elbowed him.

Arbosk stood as Sam returned and grinned hesitantly.

"What have you decided?"

"Well. Colonel O'Neill wants to know a little more about this planet before we decide anything. Have you found any traces of other people?"

"No. I couldn't find anything."

"What happened to the others that you can with?" Sam asked gently. Arbosk bowed his head and took a deep breath. "Take your time."

"I do not wish to talk about what happened."

"Arbosk, please," Sam said, "we need to know if there is something that will harm us."

"They died in accidents. Things that could have been avoided. Their loss still hurts though."

"I know it hurts to lose somebody Arbosk." She reached out and took Arbosk's hand. He raised his head and looked in her eyes, and Sam felt something like electricity run through her.

"Major Samantha Carter "

"Oh just Samantha, please, Arbosk."

"Samantha. That is such a lovely name."

"Thank you Arbosk." She smiled. "I..."

"Well what did you find out Sam?" Daniel's voice said behind her. She spun around to see Teal'c, Daniel and the Colonel approaching.

"Apparently there are no traces of habitation here."

Daniel frowned. "If there are no people here why is there a Gate? And why didn't the Goa'uld put any people here?"

"How do I know?" Jack said. "You two are the scientists."

"So?"

"So be scientific."

"Maybe," said Daniel, "The Goa'uld didn't find this planet."

"There are many planets that the Goa'uld did not find," said Teal'c.

Everybody looked at Jack.

"Well our job here is to see anything there is to see. If Arbosk here says there's nothing to see..."

"And I do..."

Jack ignored the alien. "... then there is nothing for us to do here."

Daniel watched Sam turn to Arbosk.

"Would you like to return with us to Earth Arbosk?" she asked him. Jack clenched his teeth. Daniel had known him long enough to recognize the danger sign. Sam however either wasn't watching or couldn't be bothered noticing. Asking Arbosk before they had officially decided he was coming was not a good idea.

Arbosk smiled "I would be pleased to accompany you back to your planet."

Sam smiled back at Arbosk. "We'd be glad to have you."

Daniel looked at Jack. Youch. Not good. She was in for it now.

"Major."

Daniel cringed.

"With me, now."

The Colonel walked a little way off and waited for Carter to catch up.

"What was that?" he demanded.

"What was what, sir?"

"You had no authority to invite this Arbosk to Earth."

"Sir, we both know that we were going to take him back with us."

"That's not the point Major, and you know it," he snapped.

"What is the point then, sir?" she asked.

"We had not decided what was happening and you took it upon yourself to invite an alien back home. That's the point Major."

She took a deep breath. "Sorry, sir."

Jack watched her. He knew her well enough to know that she wasn't sorry at all. But that wasn't the point either.

"O.k., " he relented. "Since there doesn't seem to be anything to be anything to explore here we will go home. And since your new friend has asked to accompany us he may. All right?" He smiled at her.

"Yes sir." She knew that officially that was a reprimand but personally she was forgiven. That was what made him a great C.O. instead of just a good one. He separated personal stuff from work stuff.

"Lets go home then, Carter."

"Yessir " she said as they turned back to the other three.

"Off world activation"

"Iris code?" asked General Hammond.

"Its SG-1 sir."

"What are they doing back? I only saw them off half an hour ago." The General sighed. "Open the iris."

"Sir."

The longsuffering General turned to the Stargate and watched SG-1 emerge from the wormhole. They had brought a visitor. Bound to be trouble. He walked down the stairs into the embankment chamber.

"You're back early, Colonel."

"Thought you'd got rid of me did you, General?"

"I should be so lucky," Hammond muttered. "Who is this then?" The alien was standing close to Major Carter and as far from O'Neill as possible.

"General Hammond, this is Arbosk," the Colonel introduced. "He traveled to XS8432 a while back and got stuck. Arbosk this is our boss, General Hammond."

Great. The Colonel didn't like Arbosk and Arbosk didn't like O'Neill. Carter and Doctor Jackson liked him and Arbosk seemed to be quite attached to the Major. As normal Teal'c wasn't giving anything away except that he didn't consider Arbosk a threat. This was gonna be a tough few days.

"Well Arbosk, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Lieutenant, find Arbosk some quarters will you?"

"Yes sir."

"SG-1, briefing room, ten minutes"

This human body felt strange to Arbosk. It was decidedly less versatile then others it had assumed. These Tau'ri were very trusting. Doubtless it would be their downfall. But that was not its concern. Survival was. Samantha was an intriguing specimen. Strong. She would serve him long and well.

"What have you got against Arbosk, Jack?" asked Daniel once they were alone after de-briefing.

"He just gets on my nerves, that's all." Jack told his friend. "You three seem to like him. Why do you like him?"

"Why not? He didn't threaten us..."

"Always a plus," remarked Jack.

"... Aaaaaand he seems friendly enough. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he has attached himself to Sam does it?"

Jack turned in mock anger to Daniel "Are you accusing me of being jealous?" he asked.

"Err... no?"

"Good. Because if you were I would have to hurt you. Besides, there is nothing to be jealous of." Jack sat down. "He tried to imply that I would get killed fairly quickly back on XS8432. And he called us all fools."

Daniel was looking at him. "What? Am I not allowed to have a bad feeling about people? Don't look at me like that!"

"Sor-ry." Daniel laughed and sat down next to him.

"Sorry Daniel. I just have a bad feeling about him but if people are just going to call me jealous I won't mention it." Jack looked at the scientist. "So. Any other new and exiting places for us to visit?"

"Yeah. Sam said she was going to work on the co-ordinates tonight."

"What are we looking for?"

"Well about two thousand years ago...."

Sam frowned. Those symbols Daniel had given didn't match any of the planets they had visited so far. Umm. She accessed the data O'Neill had input while he was playing library and waited for the system to check for a match. Ah-ha. She brought up the star map and started calculating.

"Samantha?"

"Hang on a... Oh, Arbosk. How do you like your quarters?"

"They are better than the ground." The alien smiled at her. "Did I interrupt your work?"

"Oh no." Sam spun her chair back to the computer and closed the window down. "What can I help you with?"

"Nothing," Arbosk replied. "I simply wished to see you." He smiled at her in a way that made Sam feel glad she was sitting down.

"What do you think of Earth Arbosk?" she asked, trying to steer the conversation to safer topics.

"It is strange seeing people again. There is so much life here. I am glad I know someone." He moved close to her seat and Sam swallowed hard. "The three you travel with. They are not your mates?"

"No Arbosk," she explained. "Colonel O'Neill and Daniel were the first people to travel through the Stargate from Earth for thousands of years. Me and Teal'c were chosen by our leaders to travel with them when SGC was formed. I don't have a mate."

"That is good," he said softly as he bent his head down close to hers. Sam took a deep breath. "You are very beautiful," he said before kissing her very softy on her check. Sam felt her face burn and her spine tingle. Then he stood up and was gone before she could say a word.

Sam closed her eyes, took a very deep breath and swallowed hard. She stood up and walked around the room quickly before sitting back down in front of the computer. Yawning, she glanced at her watch. She hadn't realized she was so tired. Sam re-opened the window and saved her program. Time to hit the sack if she was gonna be any use next watch.

Arbosk strode down the hallways of the underground compound. It felt better than it had for a long time. It had been right. Samantha was not easy to control but she had such strength that Arbosk was sure she would sustain it for a long time. It would have to be careful that it did not needlessly aggravate the Colonel she traveled with though. He was very protective of her. Arbosk wondered if she knew how protective.

Jack watched Carter come into the briefing room. He nodded at her and she yawned back.

"Sleep well?"

"Yeah. Like a log." She yawned again. "Dunno why I'm tired still."

Hammond turned to Carter. " Did you work out those co-ordinates Major?"

"Most of it, sir. Another hour or two and I should have it."

"Very good Major. Ah, Doctor Jackson," he said as Daniel entered. "Where is Arbosk? This meeting is about him."

Daniel poured himself and cup of coffee, and glancing at Carter, poured her one too. "Teal'c is bringing him. They should be here... Oh here they are." The three sat down around the big table. Arbosk sat next to Carter and smiled at her. She smiled shyly back. Jack blinked in astonishment. Shyly? Carter did many things really well but shy had never been on of them.

The alien turned his head to look at Jack. Those weird colored eyes challenged him and it wasn't an accidental "culture mix-up" either. It was a challenge, one that Jack intended to meet.

"Now Arbosk," Hammond was saying, "We need to decide what is going to happen to you."

"How do you mean General?" the alien asked.

"Well, unfortunately we cannot have you here forever. Can you return to your home planet?"

"No. I cannot." His face gave nothing away.

"Well then we need to find you somewhere else to live."

"Somewhere with the same sort of culture and technology level," said Daniel to Hammond. Then to Arbosk, "What technology did you have?"

"We had none of these magic lights," Arbosk replied. "Or much metal. We used that mainly for knives or weapons."

"That any good?" Jack asked.

"There are many planets that have that level of technology," said Teal'c.

"Hmmmmmm. O.K.," said Daniel. He scribbled some notes on a pad. "Anything else?"

"We relied on horses a lot, and women were equals to the men." He looked at Carter again and when she returned the look Jack nearly gagged. Something was seriously not right there. Daniel raised his eyebrows at him across the table.

"Well I'm sure I can find some people that will take you."

"Could I not stay here on Earth?" Arbosk asked, looking around.

"Trust me mate," said Jack. "You don't wanna live on Earth."

"I do not?" Arbosk stared at Jack.

"No, you don't. Most of it is stinks and what isn't is full of people and if it isn't full of people there is a good reason like its stinks."

"I don't think it's a good idea either sir," said Daniel. "Arbosk, Jack is sort of right. Most of the planets we have visited are much nicer than Earth. And I think the technology not to mention the pollution would be a bit over powering."

Arbosk looked very disappointed. "If you think that would be best."

"We do," said Jack firmly.

"But we wont make you leave if you don't want to Arbosk," Carter said, almost hopefully. "Will we General?"

"Of course we wont," Hammond replied. "We..."

"General Hammond. Sir."

"What is it Lieutenant?" the General snapped.

"Sir. We need you in the embankment room sir."

"Sg-1. Dismissed. Doctor Jackson see if you can find somewhere that will take Arbosk. Major Carter, I want those co-ordinates by 1500." Everybody stood. The general left to a chorus of "Yes sir"s.

"I'll get to work on those co-ordinates," said Sam. She headed for the door but was stopped by Arbosk's hand on her arm. He bent down - she hadn't realized he was so tall and cupped her cheek in his hand. Oh no, she thought. Not in front of the guuuuuu..... He kissed her again, this time on her mouth and she didn't hear Daniel choking on his coffee.

Jack watched impassively as the alien kissed Carter, then went around to smack Daniel on the back. When he turned back she was holding onto the doorframe and Arbosk was staring at him. That same challenge was in his eyes, but also something else. He was.... smug.

Jack tried to reason. Getting that close to Carter was not an achievement to be sniffed at and the few times he had, he had found it very enjoyable, if, he told himself sternly, thoroughly inappropriate. (Sorry, couldn't help myself) He had a right to be smug. But not that kind of smug.

Carter was still holding onto the doorframe and looking even more tired than before.

Teal'c frowned. He was not familiar with the effects of coffee as his Goa'uld larvae counter-acted them but he thought she should look more awake after a cup rather than more tired. Perhaps it was not the coffee that had that effect on her as DanielJackson had had coffee from the same pot. If it was something in the coffee DanielJackson must have put it in. Teal'c dropped that line of thought. DanielJackson would not do anything to harm Major Carter. He looked back to Arbosk. He was staring at Colonel O'Neill. The Colonel was always extremely protective of the Major. He would think about this.

Daniel was the first one to break the silence. "Well Arbosk let's go find you a new home."

"I will help," said Teal'c. He wished to spend more time with this newcomer.

"I would like to speak to Colonel O'Neill," Arbosk said. "Alone."

All movement stopped. Jack grinned. "It's O.K. guys. I can look after myself. You've got your orders. Scat."

The rest of the team filed out, even Carter looking a little apprehensive. Arbosk smiled over his shoulder at her then turned back to Jack.

"You do not like me Colonel." It wasn't a question but a statement of fact.

Jack looked at Arbosk. The guy may be a creep but he obviously wasn't stupid. " No, I don't like you Arbosk. I will be very happy when Daniel finds some people stupid enough to take you."

"Then the Tau'ri are not as foolish as I thought." Arbosk smiled smugly again.

"What do you want Arbosk?" demanded Jack. "Earth? 'Cause I gotta tell you it's been tried before."

"What would I want with this planet?" laughed Arbosk. "By your own admission it is an awful place. No I only wish pleasure and survival." He held his arm up and Jack watched in horror.

It was... melting. The fingers fused together and dripped towards the floor and the whole icky mess was the same colour as his eyes. The alien - for he was an alien in the original sense of the word laughed. Then its hand returned to a hand shape and he strode towards the door. "You cannot defeat me Colonel. Do not try." Then he walked out of the room.

Jack sat down in a chair before he fell over. It wasn't human. Wasn't even humanoid like the Asgard. And nobody would believe him. Daniel thought he was jealous and Hammond could tell they didn't like each other.

Shit.

Pleasure and survival. No doubt it was getting pleasure out of Carter but survival? He would ask Teal'c if he knew anything about it.

Damn all aliens.

Arbosk wandered the halls looking for Doctor Jackson. It probably should not have revealed itself to the Colonel. But Arbosk had allowed itself to get angry. But it did not think that anybody would believe him. The Colonel, too, had allowed his anger to show too soon. All those here would take his words only as jealousy. It was a perfect opportunity. And Samantha was every bit a rewarding as he had thought. Controlling her was difficult and tiring but Arbosk had committed itself now.

It needed to get Samantha away from these others soon though. She would rapidly become weaker and that would arouse suspicion. The culture Arbosk had given Dr. Jackson would be difficult to find, hopefully long enough to entice Samantha away.

General Hammond sat in his cluttered office reading reports from SG-8. They had encountered another colony of transplanted humans. They were apparently from the Arctic, and had managed to survive quite well in the snowy climate on HT0683. Unfourtunatly all of Sg-8 had caught the flu from the climate and would be off duty for a week. Doctor Frasier assured him it was merely a flu, thank goodness. The last thing he needed just now was another plague; the government was breathing down his neck for the yearly progress reports this month.

There was a knock at the door. "General Hammond?"

Hammond pushed the reports away, welcoming the distraction. "Come in Major Carter"

She entered the office with a sheaf of papers in one hand, covering a yawn with the other. "Sir, I've got those..." yawn. "Sorry sir. I've got those co-ordinates sir." "Thank you Major. Are you feeling all right?"

She smiled. "I'm fine Sir. Just tired. Practically fell asleep at my computer working last night."

"Don't overwork yourself, Major. You're no good to us half asleep." The grandfatherly General watched her.

"Yes sir."

"Dismissed Major." She walked back to the door but it opened before she got to it. "Ah Colonel O'Neill." Good. Another reason not to get back to work. "Yes?"

The Colonel watched Major Carter as she left the room, frowning. Then he turned back to his C.O. "I'd like to make a request sir."

"Have a seat Colonel. What kind of request? Personal?"

"Sort of." The General raised his eyebrows. "Sir, I'd like to get SG-1 away from the base for a while. Preferably off-planet."

"Does this have anything to do with the attachment Major Carter has formed with Arbosk, Colonel?"

The Colonel looked at the roof for a second and tapped his hand on the arm of his chair. Hammond gave him time to compose what he was thinking.

"Sir, I know you are going to call me either crazy or jealous, but just bear with me. I feel that Arbosk is a threat to Major Carter and being leader of her team I feel it is my duty to do all I can to keep her out of danger on Earth or otherwise."

Hammond thought that handling this by the book might be easier than trying to argue. "What are you basing this on Colonel? A physical threat? A verbal one?"

The Colonel took a deep breath. "Major Carter has been acting oddly since she met Arbosk on XS8432. And since returning to base she has been very tired."

General Hammond looked skeptical. "Colonel "

"Sir, please. You don't have to believe me, just let me take SG-1 somewhere." He looked worried, and vaguely angry. It wasn't anger at Hammond though, but it would turn to it if he felt that he was being ignored. And if O'Neill couldn't look after his team officially, he would do it anyway. And that would have to go in his report. It would just be easier to let him do what he wanted and yell at him if, and when he messed up.

"All right Colonel." He handed the co-ordinates over the desk. "I'll be glad to get rid of you for a few days. Stay two full days then come back. Move out at your leisure."

The Colonel stood up and saluted. "Thank you General."

"Dismissed Colonel."

The General sighed and pulled the reports back towards him. Damn fine officer, O'Neill. He would hate to have to put him in Admin.

Arbosk raged silently as he returned to his quarters. It was as foolish as these humans!

It had underestimated the influence Colonel O'Neill had with his superiors. He had taken Samantha out of his control. Arbosk had had to draw on her hard before they had left which only aggravated the Colonel more. But Arbosk was sure that it would last until they returned, and then he would leave, and take Samantha with him. The Colonel would not stand in the way.

Daniel watched the celebrations going on around them. The locals here had not unusually decided that SG-1 were gods and it had taken some fast talking to convince them otherwise. But also not unusually they had thrown a party anyway. At least the food was good. Better than those awful C rations. Daniel supposed that Sam and Jack were used to them but surely they could find something more palatable for civilians.

He glanced over at the others. Teal'c was watching Sam intently he had been all day. Daniel couldn't figure out why. Sam wasn't saying more than "yes sir" and "no sir" to Jack since they heard they had got this mission. Daniel agreed with her in principle. It had been spiteful for him to drag them all here. If he wanted to get away from Sam and Arbosk's courting he could have gone off base for a while.

Daniel smiled a sad smile. Watching Sam go moony eyed over Arbosk reminded him of Sha're. Not that he stopped thinking about her for long. He missed her as he remembered missing his parents. It made him feel ill every time he thought about her and Skaara being Goa'uld host. He felt his eyes misting over and blinked to clear them. Damn. Hewouldfree them.

A blonde girl tried to entice him to dance but he shook his head. The girl turned to Jack and dragged him off. He went willingly as Sam scowled at his back. Daniel moved to sit next to her and nudged her with his elbow. "Smiiiile," he said, trying to get her out of her bad mood.

She scowled back at him too.

"Hey," he laughed, "I'm not the bad guy here."

"Sorry Daniel," she apologized. "I'm just so mad at him. I don't believe he did it. He is so petty sometimes." She looked at him. "Is he always this bad or am I only just noticing?"

"Umm. He said he had a "bad feeling" about Arbosk," he said slowly, trying not to offended either of his friends. He laughed. "Then bit my head off for not quite calling him jealous."

"Well I wish he would make up his mind," she grumbled, glaring at Jack dancing with the girl.

Daniel laughed again. "He doesn't automatically dislike anyone who you like, you know." Sam glared at him. "True. He liked the Tollans."

"Only because Maybourne didn't. And he didn't like Martouf."

"He didn't like the Tok'ra full stop. Wasn't anything to do with you." Daniel took a breath. "Are you sure that Jacks not just being paranoid. Or jealous?" he asked. "I mean Arbosk just jumped up out of nowhere and...." He trailed off.

"I'm sure Daniel."

"Well if you'resure." Jack said sarcastically, returning from his dance. "I amsurethat he bad news."

"Oh andyourassessment is always correct." she replied just as sarcastically. "I do recall that you gave a certain redheaded Goa'uld run of the base on a feeling."

Teal'c watched the interchange. In his experience if Major Carter was not using "sir" or "Colonel" to address Jack O'Neill she was either very angry, upset or worried. Teal'c suspected she was angry. Daniel watched as well. Ok this was getting bad. It wasn't an argument between two Air Force officers anymore. It was a between two very angry people.

"That was totally different, Carter. Hathor was controlling us. And I'm not sure that Arbosk isn't controlling you."

"If Arbosk was pulling a Hathor on us Janet would have been acting up as well."

"Then you are admitting you are acting up!" Jack said triumphantly.

"It happens when you are in love!" Sam almost yelled.

Jack laughed. "You may be many things Carter, but in love you are not."

"What would you know! You wouldn't know what love is!"

Jack didn't say anything. He simply turned and walked away. Daniel took a deep breath. That wasnota nice thing to say. If anybody had said that to him he probably would have reacted the same way. Sam, however, didn't seem to be concerned that she had just mortally insulted her Commanding Officer. He looked at Teal'c. The Jaffa seemed to be thinking. What was he thinking about?

Jack silently thanked the inventor of sunglasses. He had drunk far too much last night after... No he wouldn't think about last night, he would just get mad. The others had been up already when he woke up and he wasn't looking forward to the rest of the day. Well, they all knew the drill. Take samples of everything, talk to people, find out if the Goa'uld had been bugging them at all, etc etc. Jack would have to go find Daniel soon and go talk to whoever was in charge here.

"Colonel O'Neill, could I talk with you." It was Teal'c. At least he wasn't calling Jack jealous.

"What can I do you for Teal'c?" he asked.

"I am no longer convinced that the alien Arbosk's intentions towards Major Carter are entirely honorable."

"YES!" Jack winced as the noise made his head hurt. "Thank you Teal'c you have made my day so much better. Don't suppose you can do anything about my hangover though."

"No. I cannot help with that."

"Oh well." Jack pulled his head back to what was important. "After that meeting Arbosk turned, well, fluid," he said. "Sound familiar?"

"I know nothing of any creature that does that."

"Hmmm. How about things that gets what were his words? "Pleasure and survival" out of people?"

"I am sorry Colonel O'Neill." Teal'c was apologetic. "I do not know. Perhaps Doctor Jackson would know more."

"Damn. I can't ask Daniel. He thinks I'm jealous. Damn damn damn damn." Jack rubbed his head. He really shouldn't drink so much. "What can we do about it?"

"I do not know. But I think that removing Major Carter from Arbosk has assisted. She looked much better this morning than yesterday morning."

"More good news," said Jack. "...."

"Jack!" called Daniel from the group of people he was talking too. "Come 'ere."

Jack and Teal'c walked over. "What is it Daniel?"

"Head hurting?"

Jack glared through his glasses. "There was a party last night Daniel. Of course my head hurts!"

Daniel laughed. "Here drink this." He proffered a cup that Jack eyed suspiciously. "Go on." Jack took the leather cup and downed what-ever-it-was in one gulp. Daniel and all the locals watched expectantly. Nothing happened for a minute. Then...

"Hey! My hangovers gone! What did I drink? Can we take some home?" The day was suddenly looking up. "What was in it?"

"You don't wanna know Jack," Daniel said laughing.

"Daniel!!!!!!! Never, EVER feed me something that you're gonna tell me I don't wanna know what's in it. GOT IT!!!!"

"Got it Jack."

Sam watched O'Neill berate Daniel. Served him right, she thought sourly. Though a hangover cure would surely be met with universal appreciation. But, once again, they would get no credit for it. But they weren't in it for credit. Well she wasn't. She knew some people were Maybourne for example. But mad as she was she knew O'Neill wasn't either. He'd do this for no pay if somebody would feed him. Which was odd because if he quit the Air Force again he could probably ask any price for his salary and Hammond would pay it. Strange Universe. Same with Daniel.

She scooped some water from the river into a test tube and put it with the rest of her samples. After looking at everything Daniel had decided the people were from the same stock as the Native Americans but taken before they crossed from Asia. They must have been among the very first peoples moved. They didn't remember Earth at all, or even that they had been moved. Sam shook her head.

Why did the Goa'uld do it? What had made them come to Earth in the first place? It must have been a fluke. Like it had been a fluke that Abydos was the first planet SGC had found. That still rankled. She should have gone with them. She had tried to find out why she hadn't and had never got a satisfactory answer. It was almost definitely because she was female. Which sucked all the way to Chulak. And was marginally illegal. But at least she was included now.

Daniel had managed to calm O'Neill down. She almost gave into the urge to stick her tongue out at him. Chances were he'd just thumb his nose back at her. He was so immature and petty and annoying and... and...and in charge, dammit. She missed Arbosk.

Sam took a deep breath. He was right about some things though. This planet was a damn sight nicer than most places on Earth. The fresh air made her feel better than she had in days. Since SX8432, in fact. That place was almost nicer than here. Even here wood smoke polluted the air.

She took a sample of the dirt and looked at it. No crawlies. Couldn't bring them back or Hammond would put up a stink. Sam sided with Janet on that one. They should be allowed to take insects back. You couldn't get a real picture of a place without them. Bloody Bureaucrats.

Teal'c had been watching Major Carter carefully ever since he had noticed her strange behavior. That morning, as he had told Colonel O'Neill, she had been looking much better than the previous morning. That evening she had reported on her sample taking, once again she had been correct and formal. She wished to spend as little time with the Colonel as possible and was deep in conversation with Doctor Jackson and natives most of the evening. O'Neill had watched her carefully also. This morning as they had prepared to leave Major Carter had been looking normal and had been awake as normal after her usual 6 hours sleep. Colonel O'Neill had avoided drinking alcohol the second night of their stay but was still enthusiastic about the cure they had discovered here.

Teal'c was surrounded by children wishing him farewell. He very carefully avoided treading on any of them as he made his way up the steps to the Stargate. The other members of SG-1 were waiting for him. He noticed that Doctor Daniel was watching the people looking sad.

Teal'c frowned. He had always regretted his part in the abduction of Sha're and Skaara and hoped to some day redeem himself in Doctor Jackson's eyes. Rescuing them would be difficult but the Tau'ri had achieved many great things. Teal'c thought that they might be the deciding factor in the battle for freedom from the Goa'uld.

Daniel watched as Sam went straight to Arbosk as soon as they got down the ramp back at base. He watched Jack and Teal'c frowned as Arbosk kissed the astrophysicist. Well Teal'c definitely wasn't jealous why was he frowning. Odd.

Sam was happy again. She was back with Arbosk but suddenly exhausted. Arbosk was about to tell her something when somebody yelled that Hammond wanted them in the briefing room. Now.

"It will wait," he told her quietly. "I will see you after your leader has spoken with you."

She walked quickly to the briefing room, ignoring the glare that O'Neill directed to Arbosk. Teal'c was watching him too.

Jack watched as Carter near collapsed in a chair in the briefing room. Damn. The Alien was at it again. Whatever It was he was doing to her.

Hammond got their reports quickly, Carter and Daniel lapsing into techno-babble at regular intervals. Cripes. Must be a degree that did it to you, Teal'c gave the same sort of information in words that actually made sense to the rest of the world. Well, the rest of the world that knew about the Stargate. Hammond finally dismissed them but held Jack back. Should have seen this coming.

"Are you satisfied Colonel?" he asked once the rest had left.

"Yes sir, I am."

"Did you discover anything interesting while on PD7492?" He plainly did not expect anything much.

"Yes sir. I discovered that Daniel has no problem feeding me things that he doesn't want to try." He said it with a grin.

The General laughed.

Arbosk found Samantha after their debriefing. She was drinking a coffee in the common room. Arbosk pulled up a seat next to her.

"Do you have time to talk now?"

Sam looked at him and smiled. "Off duty for the next twenty-four," she said cheerfully. "What did you want to tell me?"

"A planet has been found for me." Sam felt her cheerfulness fade away.

"When are you going?"

"Tomorrow. That is what I wanted to talk to you about." Arbosk took a deep breath. "Would you... Would you come with me?"

Sam felt her heart do something stupid again and the static feeling ran down her back again. "Do you want me too?"

"That is why I asked." Arbosk replied softly.

Sam grinned uncontrollably. "Then I would love to come with you Arbosk."

Arbosk was exulting. Samantha was coming with it. She would keep it alive for many days. The Colonel could do nothing to stop her and she believed that she wished to.

Arbosk had discovered that it was easier to make victims think they wished to do something then force them to do it. Humans especially. They were prone to emotions and emotions were easy to control. Once they thought they were infatuated he could take their energy easily.

Arbosk had been feeding this way for many centuries. It had traveled in many forms and many ways. It was not often that it was discovered and by then it had almost always prepared a victim to leave with. It was a system that worked well.

Arbosk smiled. And now it had worked again.

Daniel walked down the hallway towards the locker room. Had he brought that book from his apartment or not? He thought he had. He was sure he had. He hoped he had. He turned into the room and stopped with a shock. Sam was in there, out of uniform, emptying her locker into a rucksack. "Sam?" he asked.

"Oh Daniel." She sounded guilty. "Don't sneak up on me like that." She tried to conceal her bag with her leg.

"What are you emptying you locker for?"

Sam took a breath and looked around, trying to decide whether or not to tell him. "You heard they found a place for Arbosk?"

"Yeah," he said slowly. "Real nice place. What's it got to do with you packing?"

She fiddled with something in her hand for a second. Then she seemed to make a decision. "I'm going with him," she said, as if it was no big deal.

Daniel suddenly didn't like where this was going. "Just to see him off?" he said hopefully.

"No. I'm staying with him." She looked at him, suddenly seeming to want his approval. "You understand don't you? I mean, you conned Jack into telling everybody you were dead so you could stay with Sha're."

Daniel took a deep breath and smiled. "I understand. Doesn't mean I like it," he said trying to sound cheerful. "But I understand. Jack wont though."

"I'm not his problem anymore," Sam said turning back to her locker. "I've resigned. And I'm leaving with Arbosk in few hours."

"How are you gonna get past Jack?" Daniel asked, resigned. There was no stopping her now. It would be like trying to get her to leave Cassie in the bunker. He had been in her position. He would be a hypocrite if he tried to make her stay.

"Youare not going to tell him," she said firmly.

"Aww Sam," Daniel protested. "Don't asked me to lie to Jack. Anything else I will do but I can't lie to Jack."

She smiled at him. "Don't lie then. Just don't tell him."

"So you're not going to say good-bye? That's not fair on him." Suddenly Daniel was trying to stop her from going. Stop it Daniel. If she wants to go let her go.

Sam slammed her now empty locker door and picked up her bag. "Just... give him this once I'm gone." She handed him a white envelope with "Jack" on the front.

He laughed. "You just get on first-name basis and then you leave. How typical is that?" Sam laughed too. "I'll miss you Sam. Won't be the same here without you."

"I'll miss you too." Impulsively, she hugged him. "You can always come and visit," she said over his shoulder.

"Still wont be the same," he said as they moved apart.

"Things change Daniel. It's a part of life." She gave his hand a final shake then walked out of the locker room, not looking back.

Daniel sighed. Sudden good-byes seemed to a part of military life, something they adjusted to. The chance of losing somebody in battle stopped people getting too close. Stupid idea. You had to risk things to gain what you really wanted. Daniel sighed again. He hated good-byes. In Sam's own words, they really sucked. But he was a part of a military installation now; he should get used to it. Didn't mean he had to like it.

Jack had been looking for Daniel for ages. The archeologist was avoiding him. The Colonel listened for a minute. Ah-ha. Got you Daniel. He could hear Daniel's and Teal'c's voices coming from a nearby office.

Teal'c was explaining something to Daniel. Something that Jack was sure was very important and significant, but most probably very boring. He knocked on the door as he walked in.

"Jack!" Daniel said looking very guilty.

"Daniel!" he replied. "You have been avoiding me. Shame on you, Teal'c, for helping him hide."

"I apologize Colonel O'Neill. I was unaware that you were looking for him."

"Ahh, don't sweat it Teal'c," Jack replied breezily. He was in a good mood. Arbosk was leaving very soon. "Now, Daniel... Shoot. I've forgotten what I wanted to talk to you about." Jack tapped his foot. "Nope. It's gone. Ah well, it'll come back to me." He looked at Daniel, who looked at his watch and sighed heavily. Jack exchanged a glance with Teal'c. "Sheesh, Daniel, you look as depressed. You should be happy Arbosk is leaving."

Daniel suddenly snapped at him. "Why don't you just give a guy a break Jack? He didn't do anything to anyone. He seemed pretty O.K. to me and-"

Jack knew where this was heading, and he was sick and tired of people calling him jealous when he was trying to protect Carter. He snapped back.

"Daniel! Look, for the last time I AM NOT JEALOUS." Daniel looked skeptical. "Daniel, listen to me. Very few things would make me happier then knowing that when we have beaten the Goa'uld, Carter could settle down somewhere with some nice alien on some nice alien planet. That would make me very happy. But that... that... thing turned to something that closely resembled mercury! My job is to look after you lot. I don't appreciate..." Jack suddenly noticed Daniel expression. "What?"

"She's leaving with him," Daniel said in a hoarse voice.

"What? Now?" Daniel nodded. "Shit!!!!"

Jack turned and was running down the hallway before Daniel could stand up, but Teal'c was close behind, staff weapon in hand.

The three of them sprinted down the halls of the base and skidded 'round the corner into the embankment room. Arbosk, Sam and Hammond were there, waiting for the last two chevrons to engage. Jack had grabbed some zat guns as they had passed them and stood there pointing one at Arbosk as everybody stared at them.

"Daniel!" Sam cried. "What does "DON'T TELL HIM," mean to you!?"

"Not much obviously," said Jack with a forced grin.

She turned to him. "Please Jack. I'm leaving with Arbosk. Don't make this difficult for me."

"Carter, he's not a human." The last chevron clicked and the vortex flung out.

"Not huma...?" She turned back to Arbosk.

"Come, Samantha. Let us go." She took three steps towards him while he smiled smugly at Jack.

"Don't think so buddy," Jack muttered grimly and pulled the trigger on his zat gun, and again. Every gun in the room was suddenly leveled at Jack. The two spurts of energy shot from his gun and hit Arbosk in the chest, who didn't even notice.

"Jack! What are you doing?" Sam yelled as she ran in front of Jacks gun. Everybody else had lowered their guns in amazement. "Stop it! I am leaving with Arbosk."

"Carter, move out of the way."

"NO!"

"Carter!" Jack yelled. "That thing just took two zat shots and didn't even blink!"

She looked back at Arbosk, who was holding his hand out to her. "Come Samantha."

Sam took a step up the ramp towards him. Suddenly another spurt of energy shot out. Teal'c had fired his staff weapon.

It hit the alien full in the chest. Sam screamed. Arbosk's figure seemed to ripple and Teal'c fired again. Arbosk shifted into a silvery blob that lunged out towards Teal'c.

Sam's eyes rolled up, her knees gave way, and she collapsed. Jack grabbed her as she fell and lowered her to the floor. He quickly checked her pulse as Teal'c fired again, and again.

At the fifth shot the mass of silver-blue reared up again, then fell to the metal ramp. Teal'c shot it a few more times and Daniel joined in with his zat gun.

"Gross," Jack heard Daniel saying behind him, as what was left of Arbosk fell in on its self and started to dribble off the edge of the ramp.

"She O.K?" Daniel asked, squatting down next to Jack and the unconscious Sam. Teal'c deactivated his weapon and stood over them.

"Well, her pulse feels like she's run a marathon and so does her breathing, but at least they are there."

"It seemed you were correct Colonel," said Hammond who seemed to have recovered from the shock.

"As always," Jack replied, but it seemed forced. "Let's get her to the infirmary." He hoisted Sam into his arms and, escorted by Daniel and Teal'c carried her out of the embankment room.

Sam woke up slowly. Lying in the bed watching the roof was all she really wanted to do just now. She tried to remember what had happened but it was all a bit blurry. Not an unfamiliar state, she thought wryly.

A door opened and she turned her head towards the noise. It was Jack.

"Hey, you're awake."

"Apparently."

He laughed. "How are you feeling?"

"I've been better," she said, struggling to sit up. "What happened?"

"You don't remember?"

"I remember...deciding to leave with Arbosk. We were in the Stargate room and... and... No that's it."

Jack grinned. "Well that all happened the day before yesterday." He laughed at her expression. "Janet says that you were just tired." He snorted. "Doctors."

"So what did happen?" Sam asked.

"We think that Arbosk was using your energy to survive." Sam frowned. "Don't ask me how he did it," Jack said when she opened her mouth. "All I know is you passed out when Teal'c shot him. After that it got kind of icky." He thought of something. "Do you want to see the video? I don't think Hammond has worn it out yet."

Sam nodded. "Be right back."

"Amazing."

"Gross is what I call it," said Daniel. They were watching the video on the infirmary t.v. Janet had reluctantly allowed all three in with stern warnings not to tire her patient.

"Do you remember this happening at all?" Jack asked.

"Sort of. It's strange watching it from this angle but it feels familiar. O.K. Daniel you're right. Gross is the word for it," as she watched Arbosk disintegrate for the third time.

"Now do you two have something to say to me?" Jack teased her and Daniel.

"Nope." "Nothing at all," they replied. Jack huffed.

Teal'c stood up and pushed the Re-wind button. "Do you wish to watch the video again Major Carter?"

"..."

"No she doesn't," Janet's voice said. "She is going to rest some more."

"Aww Janet," Sam complained. "I spent yesterday asleep. I feel fine."

"I am the doctor here," Janet said firmly. "Out."

"I have a Ph.D." put in Daniel helpfully.

"OUT." They filed towards the door with calls of "Sleep well."

"Colonel " Sam said as Jack reached the door. Janet gave a quick nod and waited outside. "What I said... the other night on PD7492... Well I'm sorry."

He smiled. "Don't sweat it Carter. I know you didn't mean it." He smiled at her again. "Sleep well Sam." Then he left.

Sam sighed and settled back into her bed.

Holy Hannah, she hated hospital beds.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Unicorn