Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Highschool Fatigues

by Unicorn
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Highschool Fatigues

Highschool Fatigues

by Unicorn

TITLE: Highschool Fatigues
AUTHOR: Unicorn
EMAIL: unicorn_sg1@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: S/J
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Sequel planned, still in progress
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship, language
SUMMARY: Due to an insane twist in the time-space continumn, SGC (minus a few) is now at highschool.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Ok, I'm pretty sure there are about 18 squillion challenges out there that entail everyone being at highschool. So I gave in and wrote one. But I'm not American, my primary source was Sweet Valley. So it's probably totally inaccurate. But hey. And I'm trying to echo the "real" world here, but most of it's made up.

"O'NEILL, O'NEILL, O'NEILL" the crowd chanted. Jack grinned and swerved to avoid another no-hoper aiming for the hockey puck. He skated quickly down the court, and dodged another 'Lack trying to steal his puck. He heard a whistle from the other side of the court and saw Makepeace standing there, wide open. Jack feinted to the left, and as the 'Lacks headed to block it, flicked the puck neatly to Makepeace. There was a yell of approval from the home crowd. Ferritti moved in and took the pass from Makepeace, who flicked it on to Kawalski. Kawalski headed in towards the goal and the 'Lack followed like trained sheep, defending frantically.

Then Jack saw it. The wide open path, straight into the back of the net. He whistled. Kawalski spared a glance, and carried on remorselessly to the goal. The poor stupid 'Lacks followed, bunching on the right of the net. Then, at the last moment, he spun the puck out to Jack.

The 'Lack supporters had time to groan in disappointment, before Jack hit the puck so hard the goalie actually moved out the goal to avoid it. It slammed into the back of the net.

The home team went wild as the 'Gaters swarmed around Jack.

"TWO ALL."

"Go O'Neill!!!!" "Brilliant!" "You are theman, man." Jack laughed and accepted the congratulations modestly, giving support to his team mates.

"Go 'Gaters, Go 'Gaters, Go 'Gaters," the cheerleaders, led by Janet Frasier, called.

"Nice pass Kawalski," he told his friend. "Couldn't have done if you hadn't drawn 'em off."

"Don't be stupid O'Neill. You could beat 10 of those 'Lacks with one hand tied behind your back!" "Yeah, but these are the 'Lacks we're talking about here!" Makepeace laughed. The whole team joined in, then the coach called them back for a pep-talk.

"Nice shooting O'Neill," Coach said. "Keep that up, and we'll take this one away easily. All of you. The Chulacks are good, but we are better. Go 'Gaters!!!!"

"Goooooooo 'Gaters!!!" The crowd called as the teams skated back out. "Gooooooooo Chulacks!!!"

"Go Jack!" Daniel Jackson called from the sidelines. Jack waved his stick to his friend, and made his way to his position. Front and center. He faced the captain of the 'Lacks, Samuels. Jack gave his opponent a cocky grin and glanced at the clock. Ten minutes.

"You have any master plan you wanna put into action?" he asked jauntily. Samuels gave him the evil look that had given him a reputation for being a thug.

"You're going down O'Neill," he growled.

"Oh you wish, 'Lack." Jack grinned again. He loved getting this guy worked up. It was so funny. He gave a final glance around the crowd and noticed a blonde girl standing by the entrance to the hall. New face. Kinda-

The buzzer went, and all thoughts of girls, pretty or otherwise vanished from Jacks head. He was playing hockey, and that was what mattered right now.

Samantha Carter watched the game with passing interest. She wasn't a huge hockey fan, but it seemed to be the only thing happening in this neighbourhood right now, so she watched. She glanced at the cheerleaders, going bananas as the captain of the 'Gaters, who seemed to be called O'Neill, took the puck. She watched as he passed out to a team mate, and after that it became hard to tell where it was. She had to admit, they did play well.

Sam had just moved up from San Francisco to Colorado Springs. It was nice enough, she supposed, but she was going to miss her friends back home. She took a seat near the entrance and watched the match.

The posters around the school had advertised it as a 'friendly' Sunday afternoon game, but Sam couldn't see anything friendly about these people. It was a bad as ice-hockey, but they were on blades. She heard protests from both sides about the ref being blind. One of the 'Gaters went down when a 'Lack put his foot out, and another narrowly missed the same fate. These 'Lacks are brutal.

The 'Lacks were from the other high school in this corner of the city, and they were rivals in everything. From spelling bees to hockey, and everything in between.Good for school spirit, I guess, but it has the potential to get really sad, really fast.

Sam watched the game for a few more minutes. Time was running out anyway. Five minutes left. The 'Lacks started going for an all out attack on the goal, but with what seemed practically no effort to Sam, the 'Gaters stopped it and turned it around. The puck blurred and whizzed between the team, showing perfect co-operation. The 'Lacks captain, Samuels?, grabbed another team member and whispered in his ear. Sam saw the malicious grin and the 'Lack skated to intercept O'Neill.

It might have been taken as an accident, but Sam had seen the whisper, and the grin, and she knew it was intentional when the thug slammed into O'Neill seconds after he passed the puck.

"FOUL!!!!!" the 'Gater supporters screamed. Sam joined in, because she knew it was. She saw a kid with a brown mop and glasses yelling at the sidelines, asking if "You O.K?"

O'Neill got to his feet and Sam felt herself sighing relief with the rest of the crowd.Holy Hannah, I'm here five minutes and I'm into the spirit of it already.O'Neill waved to the mop and skated over to the coach, who had called time out.

Sam was too far away to hear what was said, but the 'Gaters went back to the court with new determination on their faces.This might get ugly.She was not far off.

For the last two minutes of the game it was absolute chaos. The puck flew in all directions as the two teams played for all they were worth. They weren't going to be happy with a draw. Sam found herself yelling along with the rest of the crowd, caught up in the spirit of the game. The clock ticked over to one minute.

One minute.

Come on Jack,Daniel thought,You can do it!He had had a moment of worry when Maybourne had slammed into his friend, but he had been O.K. Now he was worried about the whole team. Kawalski came close to a stick in the head, and Ferritti narrowly avoided a puck in the eye. The 'Lacks were losing it. And they were going to lose the game, because the 'Gaters weren't. Jack and the others still passed the puck, still worked as a team and the seconds counted down. Jack had the puck, then Ferritti, then Makepeace then Kawalski.

"Go 'Gaters!!!" Janet led the cheerleaders to even greater stunts, encouraging the crowd. "Whooo-hoooo!!!!"

Ten seconds.

"GOOOOO!!!!"

Jack had the puck and was barreling down towards the goal. Samuels came right for him, a quick blur and Makepeace, out to the side, had it. Attention shifted to Makepeace, and Daniel watched as Jack kept heading to the goal. Daniel tried to contain his excitement as his friend slid in next to the goal, completely un-noticed as Makepeace was mobbed.

Three seconds.

"Makepeace!!" Daniel yelled. "Pass it!!" Makepeace glanced to Daniel, to Jack, to the mob that surrounded him. He swung. The puck flew straight to Jack feet.

Two seconds.

Jack pulled his stick back and swung...

One second.

...And the puck was hammered into the back of the net.



The buzzer went and the game was over.

"AND THE 'GATERS WIN THREE TWO." The crowd went crazy. The cheerleaders ran onto the court and swarmed around the team.

"Three cheers for O'Neill!" Daniel ran to join his friend.

"Go Jack!," he yelled.

Jack looked around and saw him. "Haha! Nice one Danny! When did you become a tactics expert?"

"I've been around you guys too long," Daniel joked.

"Well don't give it up, okay?" Jack flung one arm over his friends shoulder and the other around Janet and led the team and cheerleaders off the court and out of the hall.

Walking out the door, Daniel noticed Jack looking at something other then the team. He followed his gaze. A blonde girl was sitting on the back bleacher, a slightly bemused look on her face. She was looking around as the crowd emptied out.Never seen her before,Daniel thought. New, wonder who she is?

Jack scanned the bookshelf.It's not here. Dammit, it was here Friday. I knew I should have got it out then.The library was nearly deserted, only a few people sitting around, trying to study. Jack looked more carefully.No, no, no, no, no-wait, no, no, no.The new book was nowhere to be seen.

Giving a sigh of resignation, Jack wandered over to the check-out counter. "Hi," he said to the assistant, tapping the desktop. "Is that new book, uh...Constellations of the Northern Hemisphere... in? I saw it the other day, but I can't find it." The assistant turned to the computer, and typed for a few seconds.

"It's registered as in, should be there," she told him.

"Are you looking for this?" a voice asked behind him. Jack turned and saw the new blonde girl standing there, holding the book. He reached out for it, but she grinned and pulled it out of his way. "Can I get this out?" she asked the assistant. The woman nodded and took the book from her. "Samantha Carter. Thanks."

"I was going to get that out," Jack said pointedly. The assistant handed the book back to Samantha. "I said-"

"Finders keepers," Samantha said confidently and began walking away.

Huh.He ran after her. "Can I have it once you're done?" he asked.

She stopped. "How long can we keep them for?" she asked.

"Three weeks," came the answer.

"You can have it in three weeks then." She gave him a winning smile and walked out of the library.

Well, she's pretty when she smiles,Jacks male mind thought automatically. He shook his head and ran after her into the crowded hall.

"Do you know who I am?" he asked.

She gave another guileless look. "Should I?" Jack was flabbergasted. She gave a little laugh. "Your face! Yes, I know who you are. Jonathan O'Neill, Captain of the hockey team," she finished patronizingly.

"Jack," he said firmly.She knows who I am, and doesn't care in the slightest. Odd.

"Huh?" Samantha gave him another look.

"My name is Jack,notJonathan," Jack said firmly.

"Whatever you say O'Neill," Samantha said calmly. "..."

Just then Daniel caught up to them. "Hi Jack, did you get your book?" he asked.

"No,shestole it," Jack indicated Sam. Daniel looked at her expectantly. Jack sighed. "Daniel, this is Samantha Carter. Samantha Carter, this is my best mate, Daniel Jackson." Sam grinned.

"You stole it?" Daniel asked, grinning.

"I got it first, fair and square. Your friend here was just too slow." She smiled.

I think I'm going to like this girl. Anyone whose not afraid to hassle Jack has got to be good newsDaniel thought as the bell rang.

"Well boys and girls, I've got to hop it. Later," Jack called and vanished into the crowd.

"Well, that was a good start to my first day," Sam commented. "I offend the head jock, and get hopelessly lost." She turned to Daniel. "I don't suppose you have any idea where room 18 is?"

Sam walked into the crowded cafeteria and felt utterly lost. It was not a feeling she liked. She looked around the room and sighed. Not one familiar face. Actually, yes, there was a face.

"Sam!" Daniel called over the hubbub. She waved and went over to his table.

"Any room at the inn?" she asked plaintively, sitting down. Daniel laughed.

"Did you find everything okay?" he asked, as she started on her lunch.

"I think so," Sam sighed. "Nobody threw me out at least." She held a forkful of food in front of her nose. "What, exactly, is this?"

"No-one is quite sure," Daniel frowned. "I used to wonder, but now I just try not to think about it."

"Probably wise," Sam agreed, and ate it gingerly. She wrinkled her nose at it's taste.

"What is there fun to do around this town?" Sam asked as she ate.

"Well, there's the cinema, it's just little, but you can go downtown, where's there's a bit more of a nightlife," Daniel ticked the things off on his fingers. "You can watch the guys play hockey...uh, or you can watch the guys play hockey." He gave her another boyish grin.

Sam was about to comment when the "guys" arrived. A mob, mainly the hockey team, and a few cheerleaders, came in, and nearly doubled the noise level in the room. After a few minutes collecting food, the mob swirled further into the room, finding tables and meeting friends. Sam took no notice until a voice behind her said, "Daniel, I'm ashamed of you. Fraternising with book-thieves, indeed."

She turned around and saw O'Neill standing behind her, next to a cheerleader with reddish brown hair. "Hello O'Neill."

"Hello Samantha Carter," he said patronizingly, sitting down next to Daniel. "Janet, this is Samantha Carter; Samantha, Janet Fraiser."

The two girls exchanged greetings. "Just moved?"

"San Francisco," Sam nodded.

"Went there once," Janet nodded, "Nice city, even if it is in California."

"So's this place, even if it's not California," Sam replied, grinning. The others grinned too, maybe Jack the widest.

Spunk, she definitely has spunkhe found himself thinking. And she's not so bad looking either.As the lunch hour continued the four new friends talked and laughed, eventually moving outside into the spring sunshine. Sam was introduced to more people, and when the bell finally rang, they discovered they all had History together.

"What's the teacher like?" Sam asked as they sat in class, waiting.

"He's the Principal," Jack began, and laughed at Sam's horrified face. "Don't worry, he's cool."

"And he knows History," Daniel put in.

"Yes, Daniel, we know," Janet said quickly. In an aside to Sam she said "Don't, and I repeatdon't, let Daniel start talking about history. He wont stop."

"I do too!" Daniel protested. "You two babble on about hockey all the time, you never hear my protesting about that."

"Yeah, but therestof the world has some interest in hockey," Jack laughed.

"And the rest of the world has some interest in History, Mr. O'Neill," a new voice said. "Hello to my new student, I am Mr. Hammond," he said walking to the front of the class.

Sam watched him carefully. His bald head sat atop a kindly face, but a knowing face. It was full of ingenuity and fun, and Sam decided she liked him already. "Now Mr. O'Neill, since you seem to have an interest in the subject, today's lesson will be on the benefits of History, and why people have an interest in it." He looked around the class, that was trying not to groan.

"Well, let's begin."

A few months later...

Jack walked into the study hall. It was, as usually, half students cramming for a test the next lesson, and half students messing around, taking advantage of the free hour. He looked around and saw Daniel and Sam talking in a corner. Daniel was scribbling frantically with one hand, and gesturing with the other, and talking a mile a minute, and Sam was watching the whole thing avidly. There was a small pile of papers next to the one Daniel was writing on, all showing his attentions in various ways. Doggy ears, ripped corners, folds, and little diagrams. They'd been at it a while.

Nobody listens to Daniel that long, unless he's helping with homework, and then they are not as interested as Sam is looking.Jack watched her face light up as Daniel made some more gestures, some that Jack suddenly recognized.Oh Lordie, he's telling her about Egypt.

He made his way across the crowded hall to the table his friends were sitting at.

"Sam, what did we tell you about Daniel and History?" he asked sternly. She looked up at him, face alight.

"Sorry Jack," she grinned. "It was an accident, I promise."

Jack ignored the look of elation on her face and sat down. "How can youaccidentallystart talking about Egypt?" Sam frowned a little. How did he know we were talking about Egypt?

"The pyramid explanation," Jack nodded sagely. "I've seen it so often I can make it out a mile away." He grinned. "Now, how did you manage to talk about History accidentally?"

"I was telling Sam how the Three Great Pyramids match up with three stars in the sky above them," Daniel explained.

Jack frowned. "Don't be dafter than usual Daniel. The stars move in the sky. Just one night is long enough to see a difference, let alone the...what is it?... five millennia that have passed since then."

Wow,thought Sam.That's not a pat answer, he knows his astronomy.

"And anyway," Jack continued, not noticing Sam's look, "how did you get to that without touching on history?"

"We were discussing aliens," Sam managed sheepishly. "We have to do a bit of a essay on whether we think there is life out there for Science."

"Oh no, you didn't talk about the possibility of intelligent life did you?" Jack gave a mock groan.Did I know they have Science together?

"At least it's not hockey," Daniel said defensively.

"I'm just teasing you Danny," Jack grinned, not wanting to offend his friend. "But thinking of science, I need to cram. Any volunteers to test me on the...the table thingy?"

"The Periodic Table of Elements," Sam supplied. "Sure, I need a little practice myself."

"I'll leave you to it," Daniel said, getting up. He stopped as he reached the door, looking back at his friends. Sam didn't seem 'new' anymore; she was getting to be a permanent fixture at the teams hockey games, though she had refused flat out to join the pep-squad. "No, no, no, and no," she had declared. "I will be friends with jocks, I will be popular, but I absolutely refuse to join a cheerleading squad. The next thing you know I'll be running for Homecoming Queen." "I'm sure Daniel'll volunteer to be your Homecoming King," Jack had laughed. "What, and take the honour from the head jock?" Daniel had replied. Sam's face had, almost unnoticed, had softened, ever so slightly.I wonder...Naa, get a grip Daniel.Daniel's thoughts, however, were not under his full control.They both like astronomy, and...Daniel! Get a grip! But...Daniel's thoughts turned back to the look Sam's eyes had almost held, a look Daniel remembered, and missed. Nearly a year since...

Sam was in a hurry. She wanted to catch Daniel before the next class, but if she didn't get move on she'd miss him, and be late for her class, one of the few she didn't share with him. She jogged through the rapidly emptying halls, and rounded the corner to Daniel's locker.What the...? Daniel was on his knees in a pile of papers and books, looking on the verge of panic.

"Daniel? What's the matter?" she asked, bending down.

"It's gone!" Daniel whimpered. "I can't find it anywhere." He dug under another sheaf of papers urgently.

"Find what?"

"The photo of my parents." Daniel was almost in tears.Oh. Jack and Janet had told her about them. It was the only photo he had of them, after they died when he was a kid. They were archeologists, which they claimed was the cause of his love of history.

The halls were now empty, Sam thought she heard a bell somewhere. Forget class, help Daniel.

"I'll help you look," she said, beginning to search the disorganised pile. The stuff this guy had in here! Text books from classes Sam didn't know the school ran, a few thing that probably came under the name of 'artifacts', and miles and miles of paper with Daniel's handwriting and diagrams all over them. "Are you sure you didn't move it?"

"No! It was here!" Sam bit her lip. She couldn't see it anywhere and she'd checked most of the piles.

"What's the problem?" she suddenly heard Jack ask behind her.

"The photo of my parents has gone," Daniel wailed. He didn't look up, just kept digging, so he didn't see the look of guilt that flashed across Jack's face. O'Neill bent down and began the look, almost halfheartedly, Sam frowned. He picked up a book and slid something out of his pocket.

"Here it is Danny-boy," he said brightly holding it up. Daniel gave a huge sigh of relief and took it from Jack's hand.

"Thank you," he sighed. He began to pick up his papers and books slowly, and carefully returned them to the locker. Sam glared at Jack. "Daniel-" He clapped his hand over her mouth.

"Shh," he hissed, "You'll spoil the surprise."

"Yeah Sam?"

"Nothing," she responded, once Jack removed his hand. "We'd all better get to class."

"Yeah," Daniel replied absently, just glad to have the picture back. "See you." He disappeared around the corner and Sam was left alone with Jack.

"You took it!" she said accusingly. They began walking towards their classes.

"Yes, I did, O.K? I thought I could get it back before he noticed." He glanced at her. "You wont tell him, will you? It'll spoil the surprise."

"You almost gave the poor guy a heart attack," Sam said.

"Yes, I know, I'm sorry, I wont do it again. But will you?" he pleaded.

"A surprise?" she asked. Jack nodded, giving her puppy-dog eyes.Ohhhhhh, I can't say no to that look."Alright, I wont tell him. But don't nick it again," she finished sternly.

"Thanks, you're a gem," he grinned. He ran off down the hall, blowing her a kiss. Sam watched his departing butt. Back! Back! Watched his departing back!

"Can I help you Samantha?" a now familiar voice said behind her. Sam turned to see Principal Hammond standing there, watching her with inquiring eyes. "I was not aware there was a class being held out here."

"No, there's not," Sam replied. "I'm uh...uh...I was helping a friend out." She gave him a small smile. She didn't really need a detention this afternoon.

"Well it's good to see you fitting in so well, and making friends, but 'helping out' can be done on your own time."

"Yes sir."

"Now get to class."

"Yes sir." Sam didn't wait for another invitation, she walked as fast as she could towards her next class.That was too close. You nearly owed me a detention Jack.

Jack gave satisfied nod and clicked 'Print'. The special paper he'd brought for just this purpose was slowly sucked into the grumbling printer. He downed the rest of his coffee and picked up a pen, pulling the newly printed sheet onto the table. Jack chewed his pen for a minute, then with grin, wrote something quickly, in his trademark scrawl. He finished with a line they'd know who it was and folded the finished sheet into an envelope. Then he slipped it into his jeans pocket, glancing at his watch. Just enough time to get there, and then to practice.

Jack pulled on his blades, grabbed his stick and was out the door in a flash of school colours. He skated along the suburban streets, occasionally hitting small pebbles and rocks. His message delivered he went on the hall.

"You're late! Ferritti yelled good-naturedly, as Jack barreled through the doors.

"Ah shut up," Jack called back, pulling up next to his teammate. "I had something to do." He looked at Ferritti. "Could you do me a favour?"

"Sure, what?"

"Tell Daniel and Sam I wont be in tomorrow. Folks are dragging me out of town." Ferritti gave him a speculative look.

"What for?"

"Got me. Leaving tonight after practice. If I'm lucky I might get back tomorrow evening, but maybe not till Saturday."

"Yeah, sure, Jack."

"I'll tell 'em myself if I see 'em, but if I don't-"

"ALRIGHT!!! Lets play some hockey!" Coach yelled.

"I'll tell them," Feritti promised, moving out to the court. Jack nodded his thanks, then concentrated on the game.

Sam wandered the halls of the school absently, looking for her friends. She was nearly to Jack's locker when she spotted Ferritti, and ran after him.

"Ferritti," she called. He stopped and waited for her, grinning. "Have you seen Jack or Daniel?" she asked.

"Didn't O'Neill catch you?" Sam shook her head. "He's been dragged out of town for the day. Parents orders. Haven't seen Daniel." He paused. "Oh, yes I have." The brown mop with glasses came towards them, not responding to their calls.

"Hey Daniel!" Ferritti said as he grabbed the smaller boys arm. "You deaf as well as blind?" he joked.

"Get fucked Ferritti," Daniel snarled and ran off. He disappeared around a corner, jostling and pushing in a very un-Daniel like way.

"What 'n the hell is wrong with him?" Sam wondered aloud, shocked. A strange look suddenly crossed Ferritti face.

"What's the date?" he asked in an odd voice.

"Twenty-third," Sam replied.

"Oh no," Ferritti groaned. He bashed his head against the wall next to him. "Stupid," thump, "stupid," thump, "stupid," thump, "insensitive, stupid, egg-for-brains, idiot," thump. "How could I forget?!" Thump.

"Ferritti!" Sam said, alarmed. "Ferritti, stop it, you'll hurt yourself." Thump thump thump.

"That's nothing to what O'Neill is gonna do." Thump thump thump thump thump.

"Ferritti, what are you talking about?" Sam asked.

"The anniversary," Ferritti groaned, coming away from the wall. "Sha're, Daniel's girlfriend. She died in a pile-up last year." Sam shook her head in disbelief. "And they told you about his folks, right? Yeah..." Ferritti trailed off.

Poor guySam thought. "He really hasn't had the best go of things, has he. Were they in love?"

"God yeah," Ferritti exclaimed. "She was the best thing that ever happened to him. We all loved her, she was like the team's mascot. We didn't win a game for weeks after it happened." He gave a sad sigh. "She was such a wonderful person, we would all tease Daniel that we didn't know what she saw in him." His face twisted. "And I forgot. How could I forget?" He shook his head. The bell rang and they jumped. "If you see him, apologize for me?" Sam nodded.

"Sure thing. God, poor guy." Ferritti went into one classroom, still shaking his head. Sam made her way to her own class, Science.

Daniel wasn't there. Sam waited for him to arrive, but he didn't turn up. The teacher noted his absence, and told the class to continue with their assignments. Sam worked quickly and finished most of their essay. Daniel doing a bunk. I'm not sure I believe it.The bell rang again, and Sam went out to her next class, History. Daniel wasn't there either. Sam nearly looked for Jack, then remembered he wasn't coming today, and sat next to Janet.

She had remembered, and was looking anxiously for Daniel. Sam told her what happened; she had tutted in exasperation at Ferritti, and looked for Jack.

"Not coming in today," Sam told her. "Ferritti told me."

"Today of all days," Janet had muttered angrily. "He could have got out of it."

The day dragged by, Sam kept looking for Daniel and Jack, in the vain hope they would turn up. Neither did, and when the final bell rang, Sam went looking for Daniel.

She stopped by the florist and brought a rose. She searched the mall, looking in every shop, especially Daniel's favourites. She checked the places they had hung out together over the last few months. She even stopped at Daniel's house, though the chances he would be there were slim. His foster mother hadn't seen him, and not wanting to worry her, Sam said he'd been at school, but she'd lost track of him since then. Finally Sam looked in the park, all half-mile square of it.

Just as the setting sun was turning the sky pink she found him. He was sitting on a hill, over looking the cemetery. From the looks of it he'd been there all day.

"Daniel?" Sam said softly. He didn't answer. "We were worried. Ferritti told me what happened." She came and sat

next to her friend.

"So you've come to offer your pity?" he asked bitterly, not looking at her.

"Well, I can give you pity if you want," Sam smiled, "but I think sympathy and friendship would be more useful." She handed him the rose. "Here. I know it wont make up for it, but..." she shrugged. Daniel took it gently, twirling it around in his hand. "Do you want to talk about it?" Daniel didn't answer, just handed her a piece of paper.

On it was a home-printed photograph. The sky was a ridiculous lilac colour, and the sea was a daft orange. The ground in fore-ground was a blue, covered with red grass and a few multi-coloured shrubs stood around. There were four people standing in it, cut from other photographs and pasted on a computer. They all looked happy and had their arms around each other.

Two Sam recognized as Daniel's parents, Daniel was the third. He had a huge smile on his face and he was hugging a girl gently. Sha're. She had dark skin, and curly black hair. Her eyes shone out of the picture, making Sam smile. It was easy to see why people loved her. Under it was Jack's writing:
Space monkey. Alternate realities and all that jazz. __________________________________
"Alternate Realities?" Sam asked.

"You know," Daniel smiled, his first all day, "Where we are the same people, but different things happen. So somewhere, me and..."

"I get it." Sam said quietly, grinning.

"I miss them. All three of them," Daniel said suddenly. "I keep hoping that there has been a mistake, that I'll wake up and they'll be there, but I know they wont. And today it was worse than normal. I woke upsure that she'd agreed to meet me in the library, and I was so happy. Then I got there, and she wasn't there and...and...I kinda flipped."

Sam grinned. "I don't think Ferritti will ever recover from you swearing at him." Daniel smiled.

"They're great. I would have lost it without the team."

"He said they all loved her, especially you."

He smiled a sad smile. "I felt so lucky she'd chosen me, out of everyone. What did I have?"

"Daniel," Sam chided gently. "You are a wonderful person. You are one of my favourite people."

"But you don't fancy me."

"No." She grinned. "No, sorry Daniel, I don't."

"That's good, I don't fancy you either." The two friends laughed. Daniel's laughter slowly faded, and he sat for a minute with unseeing eyes.

"Tell me about her," Sam asked. Daniel looked at her.

"Do you really want to know?"

"I wouldn't ask if I didn't." So Daniel told her. He told her how they met, how he'd finally got up the courage to ask her out. He told her about the things she liked, and disliked, and how she smiled all the time. He told her how they'd had a fight about some silly thing that had seemed important at the time, and how Jack had thrown a party, then locked them in a room together till they figured it out. A few tears trickled down his cheeks from time to time, but a smile would always come and chase them away. He talked until the sun went down, and the twilight began to darken. The words slowly ran out, and the two sat there in companionable silence.

"Thank you Sam," he said eventually. "Thank you for letting me talk."

"What are friends for?" Sam smiled. She sighed. "And much as I would love to sit here with you all night, there are people at home who will be worried about us." She stood up, then pulled Daniel up by his hand. He stood for a while, looking into the cemetery. Sam watched him, his eyes were shining in the dying light. "C'mere," she said softly, stepping up close to hug him. He held her back, and Sam bent up and planted a kiss on his cheek.

He started, looking down at her. "Friendly kiss," she smiled. "Come on, we better go." She lead him down the hill by the hand. "Now, you owe me about an hours work on our science project."

He gave her a hurt look. "Don't I even get one day off?"

"Nope," she grinned. The two began the walk out of the now dark park.

Jack wandered through the darkening park, looking for his friends. He'd finally pinned them down, after asking several people, and a lot of guesswork. Of course, the cemetery, where else would Daniel be on the anniversary of his girlfriends death? Jack wondered if he had found the picture. He had left it sticking out of the kid's locker.

Hope it made you feel better buddy.

O'Neill walked through the trees on the approach to the hill. The sun had totally set, and the only light came from beyond it, silhouetting the two sitting on top of it. Daniel and Sam. He couldn't quite hear what they were saying, but suddenly Sam pulled Daniel to his feet. Jack stood watching his friends, a smile playing on his face. It was good to see Daniel happy today. He watched as Sam suddenly grabbed him into a hug, then kissed him.

Jack felt as if somebody had punched him. He wanted to see Daniel happy, he truly did. Really and truly.But does...Does he have to be happy with Sam?He hadn't realised he might even object, but seeing Sam plant that kiss on Daniel...

Jack pulled back into the shadows as the two began to walk towards him.

"If you are going to insist I do work, where are we going?" Daniel asked. Sam "hmmmed" and "haaaaed".

"Let's go to mine, it's too far to yours. And if I ask nicely, I'm sure Dad'll let us order pizza."

"Mmm, I'm famished..." Daniel voice faded into the darkness, Sam's laughter floated back a few seconds later.

Jack walked out of the shadows of the trees and sat down on the hill. How could this happen?He'd had no clue they liked each other. Well that was it. There was no way he was going to compete for Sam. Not against his best friend. Not for Sam. He respected her too much to do that.Oh, shit.He ran the scene over in his head again.

Sam had pulled him up, and they had stood there for a minute. Then she had kissed him. There was no mistaking it.

"Jeez, what do I do now?" he wondered aloud. His best friend had taken the girl he didn't know he wanted. Nobody knew he wanted. Not even him. What did that girl say? Your heart is gonna break a thousand times before you're eighteen. Or something like that.He stood up with a groan.

Jack walked down the hill and clambered over the fence into the cemetery. He wandered along the rows of stones, reading some, ignoring others, stopping for a minute at familiar sites. He finally reached his aim.

Sha're's grave had changed little since his last visit.Had you expected it to O'Neill?The stone had weathered a little, and the photo had been recently cleaned. Several bunches of flowers sat on the ground, and a hockey puck. Jack smiled.

"How's it going there hon?" he asked. "Enjoying yourself up there? No doubt's you went up a'course.

"Things here haven't changed much, got some new friends. Sam. Samantha Carter, really." He shook his head. "Daniel's happy. I'm sure you'd be interested in that." He stood silent for a minute.

"Sorry I haven't been around recently. Been busy. Beat the crap out of the 'Lack's the other day. Samuels is spewing." He laughed. "Sam and Daniel are always at the games, not the same as having you there though. Now seems they'll be seeing a lot more of each other." He shrugged. "You always said I'd end up with a broken heart if I kept concentrating on hockey so much. I hate it when you're right." He sighed. "Well, so long as they're hap- Damn, I swore I wouldn't say that."

He gave a bitter laugh. "Aren't we a cheery pair? One of us six feet under, the other has just managed to get his heart busted. Sheesh.... She won't hurt him, I promise. And I don't count, before you try to make some smart comment."

Jack shook his head. "I've gotta go now sweetie. I'll be back another day, when I'm better company." He kissed his fingers and pressed them to the photo. "Have fun." O'Neill began his lonely trek out of the dark park.

A week later...

"Where have you been?" Sam asked. Jack spun around to face her, looking guilty. "You've barely said six words to me in the last week."

"Sorry Sam," he said apologetically. "I've had stuff to do."

Sam studied his face.He's hiding something."Well here's your chance to make up for it. Dad brought me Episode One, and he's going out this evening." Jack looked indecisive. "Oh, come on O'Neill. Daniel will be coming," she pleaded. Jack's face fell. "Junk food, good movie, friends...Come on." She stuck her lower lip out. "Pleeaaassseeee?"

Jack felt his stomach do flip-flops. But then he thought of an evening watching Sam and Daniel. He'd managed to avoid being with the pair of them all week. One or the other, all week. apart from history class. He kinda missed them, but what else...?

"Tonight? Na, sorry Sam. Can't make it," he apologised. "Stuff to do, people to see, you know," he said lightheartedly. He glanced at his watch. "In fact, I gotta go now. See ya later Sam." Jack gave an apologetic shrug and ran off with a wave.

Sam watched as he left.Jack?she thought after him mournfully. She sighed.

"Sam!" Daniel ran up next to her. "Is Jack coming?" he panted.

Sam shook her head. "'Stuff to do, people to see'" she mimicked. "Did I do something to offend him or something?"

Daniel frowned. "I don't know sorry Sam." Sam chewed her lip.

"I've barely seen him all week. I'm missing him." She sighed. "I just start making friends. You don't think my novelty factor has worn off, do you? Interesting for a few weeks before everyone figures out how boring I really am." Her face fell. "That's it. He thinks I'm boring, so he's trying to subtly tell me to get lost."

"No!!" Daniel exclaimed. "You arenotboring, and I can't think why Jack is avoiding you. You're funny and smart and, even better, you have a life outside hockey. But why do we need him?" he asked brightly. "Star Wars and junk food sounds like the best fun I've had for a while." He linked his arm through hers. "Come on, Sam, my friend. Natalie Portman, here I come!" Sam laughed.

"Ooohhhhh. Daniel and Amidala up a tree," she chanted, "K-I-S-S-I-N-G." Daniel joined Sam in her laughter.

"You're a bad influence on me Sam. I would never have said that last year."At least she'd not worrying about Jack anymore. I have got to talk to him.

"What the hell are you talking about Daniel?" Jack demanded.

"I am talking about you giving Sam the cold shoulder, Jack." They were in the gym, and Jack was pelting hockey pucks into the goal. "She's worried that you're trying to get rid of her."

"Why would she think that?" he asked, hitting another puck.

"You have barely spoken to her in a week, and she thinks your trying to ditch her." Daniel ducked a puck. "Jack, she is still new. Jeez, she worried the 'novelty' has worn off, that's you think she's boring." He ducked again. "Jack, are you listening to me?"

"Yes, Daniel, I'm listening to you," Jack replied, his voice tight. "I fail to see what it's got to do with me. She's got loads of friends." He walloped another few pucks.Don't need me as a friend any how.

"She doesn't want loads of friends, she wantsyouas a friend." Is it just me, or he being extra thick today?"Jack?!"

"Daniel, you're distracting me. I'm trying to practice." Clunk.

"Jack, I rather think Sam's friendship is more important than a few hockey pucks."Jeez man.

"Daniel, if that's all you came to talk about, GO AWAY!" Several pucks flew about, none within meters of the goal.

"Jack! What is up with you?" Jack turned to his friend.What the heck is wrong with him?

"Danny-boy," Jack asked in a thick voice, "Why would Sam want or need me as a friend?"'Specially with you there.

Daniel studied his friend.Bingo."You like her, don't you?"

"What? No."Do you have to be so damn smart Daniel?

"Yes, you do. I know you too well. You're head over heels." Daniel voice was amazed.

"Well don't worry Daniel, I wont try to muscle in on your action." Jack turned back to the goal, blinking frantically.

"'My action'? Jackwhatare you talking about?" Realisation hit him. "Jack, there is nothing going on with me and Sam," he assured his friend.Me and Sam? Where did he get that?

"Don't try to make me feel better Daniel. I saw you on the hill on Friday." A few more pucks flew, more on target this time. Jack took a deep breath, and shook his head angrily.

"Jack, I swear, me and Sam are just friends. I don't know what you thought you saw...That kiss?" The silence from Jack suggested he was right. "That was nothing Jack. I was feeling low, she was cheering me up." Jack turned back to Daniel, a strange expression on his face. Daniel grinned. "If you wanna ask her out, go ahead."

"Serious?"

"Jeez, for a smart guy Jack, you sure can be thick sometimes." Daniel shook his head in disbelief. He looked up at his friend. "She told me she's not busy Friday. Ask her to that movie that's just come out."

She's not with Daniel!!Jack thought. "You're totally serious, Daniel? You're not pulling my leg, I can take her out?"

"Well, I don't think she'd appreciate my saying yes for her, but I don't have a problem. Anyway," Daniel grinned, "you saw her first."

'Constellations of the Northern Hemisphere' sat in front of Sam. She'd been staring at the first page for several minutes now, and she couldn't remember a bit of it.Why are you moping Carter? And don't try to deny it Sam. Youaremoping.She sighed, and flicked to the back page. Here was the stamp from when she'd got in before Jack... on her first day and here was when he took it, exactly 3 weeks after she'd got it out. Jack. That was why she was moping. She missed him.

She missed his jokes, and teasing Daniel all the time, and his looks. Argh!I'm moping over Jack!No, she couldn't be moping over Jack! Could I?Yes, she could, and she was.

Sam let her head fall down onto the book, and a little groan escaped her.

"What, you steal my book again, and it doesn't have what you need?" a voice said. "Well, I can't say I have much sympathy for you." Sam turned around in her chair. Jack's smiling face stood behind her. "Mind if I sit down?"

"Please do," she grinned.Quit it!she told her thumping heart. Didn't work.

Jack sat down, hesitant suddenly. He looked down and took a deep breath. "Daniel says you thought I was trying to get rid of you. Sorry if I made you think that. I didn't mean too." He looked up, hope in his eyes, hope he was frantically trying to disguise with a funny expression. "Could I make it up to you?"

Sam thought for a minute.For starters, Daniel is dead."Ohhh, I dunno..." she shook her head, looking back at the book.

Brilliant,Jack thought,You have managed to royally screw this up."Come on Sam," he asked, "I'm sorry I've been avoiding you, I don't really know what happened."

Ha, stew O'Neill,Sam thought viciously. She snuck a glance at him through her eye lashes. He was looking at her, and there was...something, in his eyes. Hope? Apology? Sam relented and looked up. "Well, how did you intend to make it up to me?" she asked brightly. She grinned as Jack's face lit up, and his grin made hers spread even further.

"There is a new movie out. Science fiction, action, aliens, humans succeeding despite all odds." He shrugged. "Sci-fi doesn't tend to have hugely original plots, but good starscapes." Sam laughed.

"Sounds good," she conceded. "Free Friday?"

"As a matter of fact I am," Jack replied.

"Good, 'cause that's my last opening for a month," she joked. "I'll ask Daniel if he's free."

Daniel? Daniel can't come!Jack panicked. "Uh, he's busy," he lied quickly. Daniel wouldn't mind, hopefully. "He said something about...some....thing."Hoo shoot."Actually, I was thinking just us," he admitted as Sam's expression turned to one of suspicion.

Just us!!!Sam thought joyfully. "Oh," she said slowly, teasingly, "So this would be adatedate then?"

Hooooo Shooot!!! What if she says no?"Well, if two friends seeing a movie, alone, is a date, then yeah, it's a date." Jack was suddenly glad he was sitting down, his knees were going rubbery.

It's a date it's a date it's a date!Sam couldn't help a little laugh. "Sure, I'd love to come Jack. What time will you pick me up?"

Jack wasveryglad he was sitting down, he might have fallen down otherwise. "How does eight sound?" "Sounds great," Sam said standing and collecting her stuff up. "I'll see you later Jack." She gave Jack another grin, and a wave and walked out of the library.

Once she was sure he couldn't see her she sprinted into the girls room. She leant against the wall and took several deep breaths. Jack had asked her out! He'd asked her out! She turned and looked in the mirror. Whoa. Her, going out (he had admitted it was a date!) with the head jock! She put her books down and pinched herself a few times.

Still awake.

The door opened suddenly and Janet walked in. "Hey Sam." She noticed the blonde's expression. "What's up with you?"

"Jack asked me out," Sam replied, pulling herself up to the sink.

"Ahh," Janet said knowingly. "That would explain the goofy grin on hisface."

"Daniel," Sam said urgently into the phone, "Are you sure?"

"Yes Sam," Daniel said patiently, "I'm sure. It's a date. You sounded fine when I saw you earlier, why are you freaking now?"

"'Cause he's late!" Sam cried down the phone, dancing on one spot.

"Sam," Daniel sighed, "Jack is always late. He is incapable of being on time for anything other than a hockey game. Even then he's usually last there. Calm down!"

Sam took a few deep breaths. "Right, I'm calm. I'm calm. I'm-" The doorbell rang. "- Panicking! He's here!"

"Sam, I'd think this was your first date ever. Take a chill pill and go open the door."

"O.K. I'm going. I'll talk to you later Danny."

"O.K. Sam, see you later. Bye."

"Bye. Thank you!" Sam hung up the phone, and took another deep breath.

"Sam!!" Jacob Carter called. "Are you coming?"

Thank you for not saying my date is here, Dad"Yeah, I'm coming!" She gave her outfit another glance. Black jeans and a short sleeved blouse. Calm down, you look fine.Sam walked through the living room into the hall. Jack was standing outside the open door.

"Hi Sam. You look nice."

"Hello Jack. You too."

"Alright, have fun Sam," Jacob said. "Got change for a telephone?"

Father mode, lay off Dad."Yes Dad, I'm fine," she sighed in overprotected daughter mode. "Come on Jack, lets go beforereally he embarrasses me." She gave Jacob a mock glare, and Jack grinned.

Jack sat in the movie theatre, wondering if it was a dream. Sam had jumped out to get more munchies, and he was sitting here on his own, trying to figure if his imagination was vivid enough to have made up the first half of the movieProbably not, which means I'm on a date with Sam! Oh yeah!The lights started to dim again, and Jack looked around for Sam.

"Miss me?" she giggled as she sat down next to him.

"Have you got popcorn?" She showed it too him. "Well, then yes, I missed you." They laughed, setting down quickly as the movie started again.

So far, it had been about a couple of USAF dummies and a scientist, going to a strange planet to fight the bad aliens with some pretty cool special effects. The scientist had died, and been resurrected, the head USAF dude had several night stands, and the aliens had taken the scientist's new girlfriend. (Authours note: Sound familiar?)

"He reminds me of Daniel," Jack whispered.

"Yeah, girlfriend an' all," she whispered back. After that things had gone pear shaped. The aliens turned very nasty, and the back-up never quite arrived because it was massacred. The girlfriend was almost recovered, but didn't make it out of the alien complex.

Jack glanced over at Sam during her tender last scene. 'Daniel' sat at the girls side and whispered words of comfort, promising he'd get her home. Sam had bit her lip, and her eyes were shining.

"Don't cry," he teased her in a whisper.

"'M not," she muttered back, stifling a sniff. He lent back into his seat, keeping one eye on Sam, one on the movie. The girl died, and the scientist broke down, and the supposedly tough USAF Colonel gave a definite sniff. An echo came from Sam.

Jack wrestled with himself for a few minutes. Finally the little...actually, which was which?...creature, on his shoulder won, and he reached out his hand.

Sam's hand found it's way into it, and Jack had to concentrate very hard on the movie. He shifted his grip, twining their fingers together, and Sam turned from the movie to look at him. She smiled shyly, and Jack smiled back. He squeezed her fingers, and was about to whisper something when a loud noise came from the speakers.

"Leave her!" the Colonel yelled, beginning to retreat from the aliens fire.

"NO!" the scientist cried. "I wont!"

"Come on Doctor!!" Colonel called.

"I'm not leaving her."

"She's already dead! Do you really want to join her so soon?"

"Yes!!" The Colonel gave an impatient sigh and grabbed the Doctor by the collar. "You bastard! Let me go!" "Look, my job is to get as many of us home in one piece. If you want to die now, I'm not going to get anyone else killed for you." The scientist scowled. "Adrian," the Colonel used the doctors first name softly, "You can't get revenge if you are dead." The two locked eyes and finally Adrian nodded.

"Let's go."

Jack and Sam walked slowly under the yellow street lamps, hands still linked.

"D'ya think it'll ever happen?" Sam asked quietly

"What? The whole aliens vs humans shenanigan?"

"Yeah."

"I do hope not. We have enough troubles with just humans arguing over who's best, imagine what it'll be like if ET got involved."

"Yeah," Sam nodded. Jack felt the urge to lighten the mood.

"So, tell me honestly Sam. Colonel or Scientist?" Sam shot him a look.

"Why?" she asked suspiciously.

"Just asking," he replied vaguely. "So?"

Sam smiled.Why does he want to know that?"Well, if you must know, I thought the Colonel was cuter."

"But?"

Well, he's quick."Adrian was sweeter."

Jack made some gagging sounds. "Sweeter?" he asked incredulously. "Girls," he laughed in disgust.

"What, you prefer serial monogamy?" Sam laughed.

"Nothing wrong with that," Jack said defensively.

"Men," Sam mimicked.

"So you like romance?"

"Don't you?"

"I asked first."

Sam thought.What, exactly, to I answer to that?"Yes, I do like romance," she said finally. She looked at Jack. He was watching her, a soft smile on his face. "What?"

"Nothing," he replied gently, shaking his head.What am I doing here? I'm walking Sam home from our FIRST DATE, that went great, and I'm holding her hand, that's what!he answered himself. He squeezed her hand, and she squeezed back. They walked in comfortable silence for a while, and all too soon they were standing outside Sam's place.

For the first time since Jack had picked her up, Sam felt uncomfortable. What next?"Do...Do you wanna come in for a soda or something?" she asked hesitantly.

Jack glanced at his watch. 10:30. "Actually Sam, I had better hit the sack. Got a hockey game early tomorrow." He tried to hide his disappointment at this. Sam smiled, understanding.

"O.K. I'll see you there tomorrow?" she half asked brightly. He nodded and she began to walk up her drive.

"No good night kiss?" Jack blurted out.IDIOT!!!Sam stopped and turned around, grinning.What the hell did you ask that for? He gave a sheepish smile. Sam looked at him speculatively.

Well?a little voice inside asked. Sam moved back to Jack's side, and reached up and kissed his cheek. She gave him a cheeky grin, and walked back up the drive.

Jack watched her go, and waved back when she waved goodbye from the doorway. He stood watching for a few minutes, watched the porch light go out, and an upstairs light go on.

He began the walk back to his own house. Then it hit him.I went on a date with Samhe thought.And she gave me a kiss.A silly grin spread over his face he thought back over the conversations they had, and one thing stuck in his head.

Romance.

Jack checked his watch. 10:39. If he hurried, maybe...Can't stay out too late, curfew, and hockey tomorrow. Oh well, she might not anyway.

Jack nodded to himself, and started jogging.

A noise pulled Sam out of her doze.Wha..?She got up off the bed where she'd dropped off, still dressed, and looked around. The noise came again, a light rattle...coming from her window. She walked slowly to the window, curious. She pushed the curtain aside, and another rattle came. Somebody was throwing gravel at her window!

Sam opened the window and put her head out.

"Hey!" she called softly.

"Sam?" a voice called back.

"Jack?!"What the hell are you doing back here?"What do you want?"

"Can you come out?" he asked. Sam squinted down. She thought she could see him, a darker spot in the shadow of her garden.

"What?! Come out?"

"Yeah." He sounded very enthusiastic, whatever he wanted.

"What for?"

"It's a surprise. Come on!"

"Do you know what time it is?" Sam demanded.

There was a pause. "Nearly eleven," came the reply, more hesitant. "Are you coming?" Sam shook her head and started to pull it back in the window. "Sam, come on! It's a really good surprise!" Sam stopped. "Come on! Pleeeaaassseee?"

"Don't you have a hockey game tomorrow?" Sam asked. But her tone had turned teasing.

"Oh...Uh...Come on Sam! You'll regret it if you don't," he pleaded.

Sam gave in. She couldn't bear Jack begging. "Wait there. I'll be out as soon as I can."

"Yeah!" she heard him exclaim. Sam laughed and shut the window. Now...How to get out.Well, going downstairs will be a start.She grabbed her coat and looked in the mirror.You look fine.

Thankfully the stairs were the non-creaky type. The front door was in sight, and Sam crept down the hall.

"Ahem." Sam spun around. Jacob stood at the living room entrance. "And where do you think you are going?" he asked.

"Out," Sam replied promptly. Then she gave a small smile. Jacobs eyebrows went up.

"Out? Do you know what time it is?" Sam ignored the feeling of deja vu.

"Twenty-three hundred," she answered. Jacob sighed. "You're always telling me you trust me Dad," Sam tried to talk him round. He hesitated.

"Make sure you don't do anything you'll regret later," he conceded finally.

"I wont," Sam promised, giving him a grin. "Be back later," she called over her shoulder, getting away before he could change his mind. She slipped out the door, and closed it firmly behind her, checking her keys were in her pocket.

Sam jumped off the porch and looked about in the darkness.

"Jack?" she asked softly.

"Here," he said, jumping up in front of her. Sam jumped.

"Don't do that," she scolded him. "Where are we going?" Sam asked as he led down the path.

"It's a surprise."

"Tell me."

"No."

"Close your eyes."

"What?"

"You heard me. Close 'em." Dutifully Sam closed her eyes, and let Jack lead her, stumbling a little at unexpected lumps in the ground. Jack stopped suddenly. He glanced around his set up, then told her to open her eyes.

Sam opened her eyes and looked around. She recognised the park, near the hill. A picnic blanket was spread on the ground, a small chili bin sat on it, next to the telescope. Sam did a double take a telescope?

"There's less light pollution out here," Jack tried to explain. He led her down to the blanket, and sat down, pulling her arm gently until she sat down too. "You can see Saturn at the moment, and the Big Dipper is really bright tonight. Do you want something to drink? Coke? I've got some beer if you want some. Mercury is really close at the moment," he continued without pausing. "And it's nearly a full moon, so the craters will be easy to see." He was babbling and Sam still hadn't said anything. Please say something Sam.

Suddenly Sam laughed. "You brought me all the way out here nearly getting me grounded for trying to sneak out to look at the stars?" Jack laughed too, a slightly hysterical laugh.

"Well, are we going to look, or are we going to sit here talking all night?" Sam smiled.

"We'll look at the stars," Sam replied. "Did I hear you say beer?"

Jack crawled over to the chili bin and pulled out two cans, tossed one to her, then moved over to the telescope. He scanned the sky for a minute, then adjusted the device. "Here," he summoned her. "Venus." Sam shuffled over. "Whoops, lost her. Hang on." He twiddled some more. "Here." Sam squinted through the telescope.

"Oh wow," she murmured. Suddenly it was gone. "It vanished," she complained, sitting up. Jack was watching her. "What?"

"You thought I brought you out here to try something, didn't you?" he asked.

"No," she replied. He gave her a look.

"Yes, you did," he said firmly.

"Well, yes," she admitted. "But only for a minute," she assured his hurt face. The expression dissolved into a smile. He laughed.

"Open your beer, while I find Jupiter." She did as she was told, taking a swig. Jack fiddled more. "Look," he beckoned. Sam peered again. Jupiter stayed a little longer, the rings showing clearly.

"It's so pretty," she sighed, glancing at the sky. "Can we look at the moon? I haven't had a chance to see the craters for ages, Dad's too stingy to buy me a telescope."

"Sure," came Jacks reply, followed by the crack of a can opening. Sam spun the telescope around and focused it carefully. "Wow," she whispered. "It's really bright, you can see practically everything. Look Jack, look. I think something must have impacted recently. I don't recognise that little crater there. Look." She pulled his sleeve until he looked though the telescope.

"Oh, my gosh. Sam, that is so cool. You discovered a new crater in the moon!" He sat up and they laughed, drinking more beer. Sam returned her gaze to the telescope.

"So, thatjustfor looking at the stars?" she asked coyly.

"Why, what else would I use it for?" he laughed.

"Well, I know for a fact that Annalise Cloewar lives in your street..." She let it trail off teasingly.

"Oh, I amsoinsulted!" he cried, grinning wickedly. "Why would I care whether or not Annalise Cloewar lived in my street, anyway? Besides, she sleeps with the curtains closed." They burst out laughing.

"You, are an evil, evil man," she got out between giggles. Once they calmed down a little they took a pull of their respective cans. "Are we getting drunk?" she asked.

"I hope not, I'm barely half way through my first can." He tried not to notice the look she was giving him.

"I must be less resistant than I thought," she said quietly.What are you doing Sam?

"To what?" Jack asked softly.Earth to Jack.

"What are you offering?" Sam whispered.

"How about arealgoodnight kiss?" Jack managed to choke out

"Are you offering?"

"Yes." He bent in very close to her, part of him wondering just what was happening. "Can I kiss you Sam?"

Her answer was lean in even closer, and Jack could feel her breath on his face, smelling ever so slightly of beer. He pulled his eyes from the lips that were hovering so near to his own, and looked into her eyes. Two orbs of shining blue gazed at him, and softly blinked. As her eyes shut for the instant Jack moved the extra few millimeters, his lips meeting hers.

Sam hesitated for an moment, then leant into the kiss. Jack put his beer down and put his hand up to hold her neck.

They kissed for a long minute, that for Jack alternated between slowing down to almost a standstill, and flashing by so fast he nearly missed it.

Finally the need for oxygen pulled them apart.

"Wow," Sam whispered, not pulling right away yet.

"Ditto," Jack smiled. He noticed his hand was still on her neck and started to pull it back. But it got distracted, and ended up stroking her cheek. She smiled at him.

"I thought you said you weren't going to try anything," Sam accused him teasingly.

"I never said that," Jack retorted, still stroking her cheek. "I said I didn't bring you herejustto try something. I never said I wouldn..."

Jack's words disappeared as Sam covered his mouth with hers. The kiss was shorter this time, but the strength of it more than made up for it.

Sam pulled back suddenly with a gasp. Jack looked at her, worried he had done something wrong.

"Why was the sky purple?" she asked. Jack frowned in confusion.Purple sky?Then he remembered.

"It was an alternate universe Sam; things had to be at least a little different." He grinned. "Now if you don't mind, I don't really want to be thinking about Daniel right now."

"Neither," Sam smiled. "And I wasn't. I was thinking that underneath all that hockey gear, you are really a very sweet guy. Very romantic too."

"Yeah, well don't tell anyone eh," Jack whispered moving his face back to hers. "Wouldn't want to damage my rep."

"Wouldn't want that wou..." The rest of the sentence was lost in Jack's lips, as was everything else she tried to say for quite a while. Finito.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Unicorn