Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Future Shock

by Trish Williams
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Future Shock

Future Shock

by Trish Williams

TITLE: Future Shock
AUTHOR: Trish Williams
EMAIL: bartricia_w@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Angst, Future story
PAIRING: UST, Sam/Jack, Sam/other, Daniel/Janet, Teal'c/other
SPOILERS: 2010
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
SERIES:
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: adult themes, language, minor character death
SUMMARY: The members of SG-1 reunite and recount their lives since meeting the Aschen ten years prior.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Our God, MGM/UA, who art the owner of all things Stargate SG-1, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Showtime/Viacom's will be done, by Double Secret and Gekko Productions on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this fanfiction, which is my daily bread, and forgive me my trespasses as I twist thine stories into those that fulfill my fantasies. For thine characters are owned by you, and you have the power and the glory while I enjoy the fantasy for no pay or sexual favors, forever and ever, amen. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted/archived elsewhere without the consent of the author.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This story first appeared in the fanzine Off World Activation #1, published by Lost (Sheryl). Huge thanks to her for allowing me the honor of contributing to her zine. You're a goddess for accommodating me :-) For those of you wanting a story where Teal'c has more than two lines, this one's for you :-)As always, constructive feedback is appreciated and will be rewarded with virtual chocolate. All flames will go into my virtual circular file.

FUTURE SHOCK

by Trish Williams

Copyright © 2001

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Aschen are our salvation.At least that’s the way I saw it.

Standing herebeside Teal’c and Daniel for this anniversary, all I can think about is how fortunate we were to have come across the Aschen.On our world there is virtually no sickness, the human lifespan has been doubled, and there is real peace across the face of the planet, thanks to them,. Utopia has finally been established on Earth, and never did I, Doctor Samantha Carter, believe that I’d live to see it.

“Ladies and Gentlemen” a voice over the loudspeaker reverberated through the J.R. Reed Space Terminal. “The President of the United States.”

The soldier in me snaps to attention. Daniel seems to notice I still have that military conditioning in me, even though I haven’t had to salute anyone in almost six years.I guess that old habits die-hard.

The view screen lowers down from the rafters like a metallic spider descending upon its prey.President Kinsey’s image plays across the screen, making him seem larger than life.He’s looking quite friendly sitting in a chair next to a roaring fire, trying to seem as if he’s your best friend.I know enough dirt about Kinsey not to be taken in by the act he’s putting on.So I smile politely and wonder what kind of boring speech he’ll come up with this time.I hope to God I don’t fall asleep standing up.

“My fellow Americans.Ten years ago this very day, a team code named SG-1, then working in secret, came upon an alien race.The Aschen.And with that introduction I was able to forge the greatest alliance this country, indeed this world has ever known.”

The polite applause bursts out.It reminds me of the kind of applause given during those boring golf tournaments. Personally I don’t think people do it because they found something profound in the stroke.I think they’re just so happy the damn hole is finished so they can move the infernal game on.Giving Teal’c a brief look, I think he realizes, as I do, that the applause is simply a courtesy- a show of respect if you will, not because we all feel some burdening need to fall down on our knees before Kinsey.But he is the President, and he was my boss when the military existed, so I just look at Teal’c and smile.

“I read now from Colonel Jack O’Neill’s mission report of that first contact.‘These folks sound too good to be true.Willing to share their science and technology. Friendly.Smarter than we are.One thing’s for sure.The Goa’uld are coming.The Aschen could save our asses.’”

That was true, they definitely could.Damnit if Kinsey still couldn’t pronounce the word ‘goa’uld’ right to save his life. But telling him he’s pronouncing it wrong is like telling the Emperor he has no clothes on.

“Well guess what Jack?They did.”

More of the ‘golf’ clapping erupts.I don’t know why I feel so impatient about all of this.I’m proud this is the tenth anniversary of SG-1 making contact with the Aschen, but a part of me wishes this was all over now.I could just go back home and spend the day in bed with my husband, instead of standing here with over a hundred pairs of eyes looking at my former teammates and me.

“Jack O’Neill could not be here today, but those candid words hurriedly scratched down in a mission report ten years ago were prescient.Membership in the Aschen confederation guarantees the security, the health, and the future of every human being on God’s green Earth.”

Out the corner of my eye, I can’t help but notice an especially proud look on Teal’c’s face.That last statement Kinsey made really hits home for him.

“Doctor Daniel Jackson, Doctor Samantha Carter, Teal’c. Would you please step forward?"

I toss a brief look at Daniel as all three of us walk up the ‘gate ramp.It’s hard for me to remember the last time I’ve gone through the stargate.Janet, Daniel, and Teal’c have definitely gone through it more times than I have in recent years.I’m just glad the Aschen didn’t give Teal’c a hassle about coming here. ‘Gate travel to any world that isn’t in the Aschen confederation is highly regulated.

Mentally I shake my head, realizing what SG-1 has gone through in these ten years.We’ve been apart more than we’ve seen each other, but we’ve managed to stay in touch.I try to see Cassandra as much as possible but with her attending college now it’s difficult.She has her own friends, so hanging out with her mom and Auntie Sam isn’t high on her priority list.I envy Janet. At least she got to be a mother. These days, she seems more distraught that Cassie’s left the nest than her being out of a job because of the Aschen doctors.

Daniel sends me e-mail regularly, and on occasion we talk on the phone, but he’s so involved with learning Aschen history, and fascinated with their artifacts and culture that we don’t talk nearly as much as we did at the SCG.And within the past year our conversations haven’t been very upbeat.I think he’s still hurting over what happened between him and Janet.Hell, they’re both still hurting over it. But unlike Daniel, Janet has recovered.I don’t think Daniel ever will.

Is it possible to be so damaged by things that have happened in your life that you never recover?Daniel is such a sweet soul.He always tries to see the good in people.And when good people or good things or both are taken away from him, he’s got to have a reason to fight back.Travelling through the stargate in hopes of finding Sha’re, then in hopes of finding the Harcesis, then in the hopes of seeing Shifu again- those all gave him reasons to fight back.But when this last thing that happened…I guess immersing himself in research about the Aschen is his way of dealing with things.He and Janet need to talk, to heal.I guess in their case, healing apart was preferable to healing together.

Then there’s Teal’c.I haven’t seen him in a long time.Daniel tells me he comes earth side on a regular basis, but of all those times, he hasn’t come by to see me once.Not that I can blame him given his situation.Even if he did visit, it would have been hard to talk to him.Not hard to talk to him about days gone by at the SGC, or how Rya’c is doing, or about Drey’auc, just…other stuff.And it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with me.Knowing Teal’c as I do, he’ll have a tendency to blame himself for my social discomfort.

Perhaps it’s best this way, seeing him at the ceremony.I watch with amusement as Teal’c gives polite looks to the people in the crowd.He definitely smiles more these days and is much more comfortable around humans than he used to be.I’m hoping he’ll hang around after the ceremony so we can talk for a while.And I wonder if he’s talked to Jack recently.

Jack. Eventually it comes down to him.There’s a part of me that expects him to come strolling in claiming to be fashionably late—as if the Colonel ever had any fashion sense to begin with.But as the ceremony goes on, it finally hits me that he’s not coming, and I can’t mask the disappointment I feel inside.

Maybe its best he doesn’t come, but a part of me knows that it isn’t.The Colonel being gone is like a gaping hole to everyone who looks up at us on the ‘gate ramp.It’s like the ‘missing man’ formation in the sky—a blatant reminder that someone you relied upon is gone.But Jack isn’t gone.He just chose not to show up.And that’s his way of telling us, point blank, that he’s never going to trust the Aschen. And it’s also his way of telling the Aschen they could all kiss his ass.All I can do is straighten my posture, smile for the recording devices, and accept the fact that I may never see Colonel Jack O’Neill again.

It’s a bitter pill to take.

The medals are put around our necks: first Teal’c, Daniel, and then me.I look over at where my husband is standing, looking so proud of me.It takes a lot for me to stifle a giggle as he gives me two ‘thumbs up’.God, I love him so much.

“Though our nation’s business has kept me from being with you in person, nonetheless I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done for me, and for our country. God bless you all.”

The applause rings again through the terminal, the acoustics making it seem extraordinarily loud.I notice this isn’t the polite golf clap applause, or common courtesy applause.It feels genuine and it makes me feel vindicated.Who would have thought a world we visited almost ten years to this very day, could have changed the course of human history, helped Earth eradicate its greatest enemy, and in a way, brought to me a man I pledged to spend the rest of my life with.

Ten years ago, P4C-970 was nothing but a computer-generated planet address on our mission list for the month.When SG-1, stepped through that gate and saw the awesome civilization on the other side in living color, we knew we’d found an ally in our fight against the goa’uld.Jack was happy to see that, unlike the Tollan, the Aschen were willing to assist us in defeating the goa’uld and had no qualms about ‘lending’ us their technology to get the job done.In their eyes, a written treaty was merely a diplomatic formality.

But it wasn’t long before Jack changed his mind and became the designated party pooper.

Colonel Jack O’Neill subscribed to the philosophy that if something sounded too good to be true, it probably was.A prime example of this was the Eurondans.Sure, they were willing to share all of their advanced technology with Earth in exchange for heavy water, and our assistance in helping to exterminate the ‘breeders’ of their world.The Aschen didn’t seem that way at all, but Jack still didn’t trust them.Then there was that ominous showdown in the briefing room.It seemed for every reason Daniel, Teal’c, or I gave for entering into an alliance with the Aschen, Jack had another reason for us not to.Time was growing short, and it wouldn’t be long before Apophis or Osiris came back to wipe us off the face of the planet.We needed a strong ally who wasn’t against sharing their technology with us, and the Aschen were that ally.Jack was outvoted, and nothing was the same since.

You know, it’s funny. You think your life will turn out one way and then fate decides to have a sense of humor and put the screws to you.After the Stargate Program was revealed to the world, along with our impending alliance with the Aschen and admittance into their confederation, I thought Jack and I would finally get together.Don’t get me wrong- it wasn’t like I was holding my breath waiting for it to happen, but I wouldn’t be human if I didn’t admit to the anticipation I felt.All those years of abiding by the regulations that didn’t allow for the type of relationship we wanted to have.But the cost of Earth’s alliance with the Aschen was that any type of romantic relationship between Jack and I was precluded.We’d done too many things to hurt each other, said too many hurtful things we couldn’t take back.And when I met Joe and we fell in love, the announcement of our wedding was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.

Given that Joe’s specialty was foreign policy and he had a high enough security clearance, he got the chance to accompany SG-9 to formalize the alliance between the Earth nation state known as the United States of America and the Aschen. After they wiped out the goa’uld, the other nations of the world were clamoring to become part of the Aschen confederation so they could reap the same benefits we had.There was so much about my husband that Jack was not.He didn’t seem suspicious of the Aschen all the time, didn’t toss my awe at their achievements in my face, and he was always emotionally available to me.To be fair, he wasn’t fighting the same demons Jack was.But I should stopabout comparing him to Jack.I told myself on our wedding day that once we became man and wife, I would stop doing that. I should have recognized that lie right then and there.I haven’t stopped comparing them; I’ve just slowed the frequency with which I do it.

I know something is wrong with me.And I know Joe can sense it too.We’ve been trying forthree agonizing years to have a child with absolutely no luck.When you spend your life actively trying not to get pregnant, then starttrying to conceive, it’s shocking as hell to realize that it’s harder than you thought.Not that I don’t mind trying, and Joe doesn’t either, but like him, I thought we’d be working on our second kid now.My father has grandchildren from my brother, Mark, but I want to give him some as well.It’s high time I became a mother myself— to see first hand what all the hype and mystery is about.

What I’d like to know is, what the hell is so wrong with my husband and I that we can’t produce a child?Is this the price I have to pay for traveling through the stargate?The Aschen doctors told me ‘gate travel does not affect fertility by any significant amount, but I’m not so sure about that.It seems to be the only logical thing that separates me from women who have been able to conceive.I know, I know, there are women fighting infertility who haven’t had their atoms deconstructed and reconstructed halfway across the galaxy, so I shouldn’t just up and blame ‘gate travel.But I can’t help it.

A part of me thinks ‘gate travel is just plain sexist.I can name a host of people at the SGC who have fathered children even after the gate was packed up and moved here to Washington.And as for women, the precious few that have gone through the gate, I only know of two who have managed to become pregnant.One had to go through round after round of in-vitro fertilization before she got pregnant, and the other was deemed anaccident due to birth control failure.As for that second one, I wish I had her luck.

Despite everything that’s happened, we’d be in much worse shape if the Aschen hadn’t come to our rescue.Granted, we’re more dependent on them now, but we’re much better off for it.And as more nations of the world join the Aschen confederations, we’re become more peaceful than at any time in our history.

Even Colonel Jack O’Neill couldn’t argue with that.

It is way too early to be drinking.At least that’s what I tell myself.

Picking up a glass of champagne, I make my way over to where my friends are gathered. I haven’t seen Sam in three years, and I haven’t seen her husband since the wedding.Teal’c I haven’t seen in almost five years.Jack…it’s been even longer.And Janet…she’s another story.

Sam’s wedding was such a beautiful affair.It almost looked tailor-made by Martha Stewart herself.Some people thought it would be Jack, not Joe that she’d end up with but destiny had other plans.Jack had made an appearance since he was invited out of courtesy.He was there for the ceremony, there to kiss the bride and shake the groom’s hand in the receiving line, there to leave a wedding gift and then he was gone.Sam tried not to look hurt but I could tell that she was.

Teal’c went back to Chulak not long after the war with the Goa’uld ended.Since they were no longer a threat thanks to the Aschen, he wanted to go back home.Not that I could blame him for doing so.He doesn’t stay there for long periods of time though.Occasionally, when he’s visiting earth side, I’ll get a call from him.He visits earth a lot more than he lets on.

What I really want to know is what the hell is Jack’s problem?I know he’s still sore over the alliance between Earth and the Aschen, but I figured he could put it aside and come to the ceremony.The president was finally acknowledging how we’d helped to save the world, and Jack decides not to show up.Jesus, that guy can be such an ass when he wants to be.

I’m glad Janet is here.Even with all we’ve been through, it makes me happy that she decided to come.Things haven’t been the best between us, especially this past year.And I’m not proud of how I handled things.She blamed herself and I just let her.The Aschen had already taken her job.The last thing she needed to put up with was my shit.After all these years, me still hurting about losing Sha’re, how I haven’t seen Shifu in over ten years, Kasuf’s death, Skaara’s accident…I just couldn’t handle another loss.And what made it hurt even more was, I didn’t even have a face to associate this loss with.

She’s thrown herself into what work she could, and I’ve buried myself in the work that I have to do.We’ve been able to speak amicably, but not on that intimate level we did over a year ago.To complete strangers, we appear to be the best of friends.But to our friends, and to each other, we know we’re very good at hiding what hurts us.These days, both of our lives revolve around either what the Aschen have done or are going to do.

When we met the Aschen, I spent almost an entire year in their cultural ‘boot camp’, trying to learn as much about them as possible.In return, they made me some sort of cultural emissary.Learning their culture plus instructing them about the cultures of Earth was a massive undertaking to say the least.Unlike at the SGC, I’ve got a sizeable number of staff under me.It’s nice to be able to just do what I do best instead of trying to fit into the world of the military.

“To General Hammond,” Sam said, raising her champagne glass.

“To General Hammond,” I say.Everyone echoes her words as we clink stemware.True to form, Teal’c’s glass is filled with something non-alcoholic.It looks like cranberry juice.In all the years I’ve known him, he’s only had alcohol twice.Both times were for some good reasons.

Sam’s expression turned wistful.“I miss him, especially today.”

“Yeah, how long has it been anyway?” I ask.

“It has been six years.”Teal’c replied.

I’m trying not to say it, I really am, but something within me can’t hold back.

“Which reminds me, what was Jack’s excuse?” I prompt.“I expected to see him here.” I don’t apologize at all for bringing it up.Hell, somebody had to and it might as well be me.

Teal’c looks at me like I’ve asked a question I should already know the answer to. “O’Neill has made his feelings very clear concerning the Aschen alliance,” he said.

“Well, he could have come to see us,” I retorted, amused at the intrigued look Teal’c gives me.He’s definitely made progress.Ten years ago it would have been an eyebrow raise.

“Well, I almost didn’t come myself,” Janet said.

“What?” I ask. I was a little shocked to hear her say that. Surely it wasn’t because I would be here, was it?I tell myself Janet is too much of a professional to let a personal conflict with her former lover prevent her from seeing old friends.

“I mean it’s easier for you, Daniel. Your job wasn’t made obsolete.And if…” Janet stopped as one of the Aschen approached our circle.“Mollem,” she said, the pitch of her voice rising in recognition.It looked like she was covering up for talking behind the Aschen’s back.It wouldn’t have been the first time.

The Aschen male bowed his head briefly in acknowledgement.“Forgive me for interrupting,” he said, and then turned to Sam’s husband, Joe.“Ambassador, the Aschen delegation is eager to hear about your visit to our south continent.”

“Yep,” Joe said.“It’d be my pleasure.” Joe looked at Mollem briefly as he left, and then gave Sam an apologetic look.“Well, I think we can safely assume I’ll be late.Doctors, Teal’c, congratulations again.”Joe kissed his wife, nodded at us then walked off to commiserate with the Aschen potentates.

Sam let out an anticipatory exhale.“So, where are we going?” She asked as if it were a done deal.

“I had intended to return to Chulak,” Teal’c said with a smile.

This I’m not surprised at.Even with the tattoo removed, Teal’c wasn’t what you’d call a social butterfly.

Sam’s expression fell.“Oh come on Teal’c, we haven’t seen each other in ages.Please?”

Teal’c hadn’t seen any of us in ages, and we were dying to find out first hand what’s been going on with him.The rest of us all talk to each other via phone or e-mail on a regular basis.We don’t hear a peep out of Teal’c until after the fact, and then it’s usually a few months after the fact.

“Very well,” the Jaffa said.Nice to know Sam can still twist his arm as only she can.

“Dinner?” I suggest.Everyone voices his or her approval, then we all part ways.I’d wanted to talk to Janet.To clear the air and apologize for my screwed up behavior, but Sam’s has already pulled her to the side.From the looks of it, I’d be a third wheel.Teal’c is walking somewhere with purpose, and something tells me if I don’t catch up with him, I won’t see him until dinner.

“Teal’c?” I ask as I catch up to him.

He stopped and turned around slowly. “Yes, Daniel Jackson?”

“Um, it’s been awhile since we’ve seen each other.Got some time to catch up?Since you’re not going back to Chulak right away…”

Teal’c put his half-empty glass onto a nearby table.“Would you be offended if I requested we speak after dinner?” he asked.“There are several people I must visit on Earth, and I do not wish to delay my journey.”

At first, I felt a little put off.But then I remembered just who those important people were, and I couldn’t fault him for wanting to make an impromptu visit.If I were in his shoes I’d do the same thing.

“No, I wouldn’t be offended at all,” I say.“I’ll see you at dinner.”

Teal’c gives me a courtesy bow of the head before resuming his journey.I know he’s headed to Washington proper to visit one of the people on his ‘to see’ list.I realize how much I envy what he’s about to do.It’s easy to get an audience with the Secretary of State when he’s your father-in-law.

I’d trust Teal’c with my life, that’s a fact. But there are times where I have to admit I’m human and get angry that he’s the one responsible for choosing my wife to be Amunet’s slave, and then the one to kill both of them. I’ve forgiven him long ago, but it’s hard as hell to forget sometimes.

I guess that saying is true: Nobody forgets where he buried the hatchet.

The Tau’ri have a saying: The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Sitting here at the restaurant bar, I await the arrival of my friends for dinner. In my culture, it would not be considered wise for a Jaffa to socialize where fermented beverages are freely served.After years of being among the Tau’ri, I have found a way around it.I ask for a ‘virgin’ pina colada, smiling as I remember the person who introduced me to this wonderful beverage, and showed me how I could enjoy it without breaking my rule regarding consumption of alcohol.

It has been over ten years since I turned against Apophis, and joined the cause of the Tau’ri and their allies in fighting the Goa’uld.In doing so, I have lost my position as First Prime, sent my family into exile to keep them safe, and lived on a world that was not my own because I could not return to Chulak.But in joining the Tau’ri, I gained freedom for my family and myself.That alone is worth the trials and tribulations I have endured. Alongside SG-1, whose members are my extended family, we have sought out allies and technology to help us defeat the System Lords, and given protection to worlds that are not capable of defending themselves against the Goa’uld.

Proven to be formidable allies in helping defeat the Goa’uld, the Aschen were most willing to share all of their knowledge and technology with the Tau’ri.Unlike the Eurondans, they were not waging war against the people of their world who did not look or behave as they did. Their world was full of peace and harmony among all of their people, much like the Tollan.It did not take a great deal of effort on their part to avert the major offensive Apophis made against the Earth, nor the attempt Osiris made to cause mass carnage.After neutralizing both offensives, the Aschen ordered that all remaining Goa’uld be hunted down and killed, sending the survivors into hiding.But without hosts, they will have died quickly.

Despite all of their technology, I have found the Aschen to be quite a paradox.They have defeated the Goa’uld, brought peace to Earth and eradicated many of the diseases that were fatal to the Tau’ri. But they have not found a way to free the Jaffa of their dependence on the larval goa’uld.I believe this is mostly out of refusal to assist their enemy.They want all of the goa’uld to die out, even their young.And the fact that the Jaffa will die as well does not concern them.Some of my people thought the Tau’ri would convince the Aschen to help them, but when the answer was not affirmative, many of the few remaining Jaffa, still loyal to the Tau’ri, turned against them. The Aschen’s refusal to cure them was a death sentence, and the Jaffa declared the Tau’ri were as much to blame as the Aschen for this.In their eyes, the Tau’ri would never be forgiven for condemning them to death.

On Chulak, there are few symbiotes available for implantation.The goa’uld queens of record are all dead, and no symbiotes have been delivered to Chulak since the war’s end.I was fortunate to secure one for Rya’c, and I pray that I can convince the Aschen to find a cure for him.He has recently married, and I hope he lives long enough to see the faces of his children.

Tossing a casual look into the mirrored wall reflecting the various bottles of intoxicating drink, I notice just how easily it is for me to look human.With the golden mark of slavery now gone, the casual observer would think of me as Tau’ri from another portion of this planet because of the way I am dressed.I will give the Aschen credit for the procedure involved in removing the tattoo. It has allowed me to blend better among the humans.I feel much more at ease among them without the conspicuous mark of slavery upon my brow.Smiling to myself, I think of the vast collection of baseball caps and other head coverings I have amassed over the years.

As it was at the SGC, I have arrived ahead of schedule.Among Jaffa, is it a show of honor and respect to be early to a gathering.Among the Tauri, tardiness in some social situations is a virtue.Taking another sip of the drink in my hand, I find myself looking forward to talking with my friends and finding out what has gone on in their lives.I must thank Major Carter for convincing me to stay.

As a way to bide my time from this morning’s ceremony until dinner, I sought an audience with the Secretary of State.I was most grateful he had the time to speak with me, although he has said on several occasions he is always available should I need to have words with him. I reiterated to him the scarcity of symbiotes on Chulak, and impressed upon him the need of a cure for my people. He said he would do what he could to convince the Aschen to apply resources towards this endeavor.But he also warned me that such a thing may not happen, or if it does happen it would occur slowly.Although I do not like to hear such a thing may not be accomplished until after I have died, I have resolved myself to such a fate.I owe it to my people to find the cure to free them from slavery to the goa’uld, even if I must die trying.

The Secretary of State was most happy to hear the news I had to deliver to him—that his daughter, my Tau’ri wife, is again with child.He wasted no time in spreading this news to everyone, including the President.This will make the fourth child I have had with her.When she told me upon my visit last week, my heart leapt with joy.We had not planned to tell him of the child until next month, but something told me that now was the time to let him know.She was not anxious for another child, especially after giving birth to twin sons,but with much…persuasion, I managed to change her mind.I do not know how much longer I have to live and it gives me much solace to see the faces of my children—the ones who are free from genetic slavery to the goa’uld.

The first child was the most difficult, and not for the usual reasons.On a world that seems to cherish life, it was most confusing to me for something as simple as the impending birth of a child could cause such widespread panic.Granted Kelsha was a most unexpected surprise to both her mother and I, it was thought on several occasions that with her arrival, the Stargate Program could have been exposed.With the Aschen defeating the Goa’uld, the truth of Kelsha’s parentage, namely that I, her father, was not human could be brought to light.I shudder to wonder what could have happened if the Aschen had not defeated the Goa’uld and the Stargate Program not been revealed. Kelsha’s mother’s greatest fear was that she would be sequestered, as I was, because her father was not human.I am most thankful this fear did not come to pass.

As with O’Neill, my Tau’ri wife did not trust the Aschen.But given that their arrival did make things easier for our children she tolerates them.Many wonder why she allows me to live on Chulak while she and our children remain on Earth.I tell them that Earth is their true home, and as much as I desire to show my children the world of their father, it would not be safe for them on Chulak.On my world, they are seen as Tau’ri, even if their father was Jaffa.She and I have agreed it would be better that I reside primarily on Chulak to best serve my people.Her reasoning for this action was that I could not be on Earth long enough to drive her crazy—the children do enough of that on their own.

Drey’auc is still my wife in the eyes of Jaffa society.Although she had our marriage removed years ago, she is remembered as my wife, not Fro’tak’s.Her health is not well these days, but Doctor Frasier does what she can for her. Because the Land of Light is not a member of the Aschen confederation, the Aschen doctors have refused to treat her.Thankfully Doctor Frasier goes to her, for the Aschen cannot prevent a private citizen from checking up on an old friend.Drey’auc and I are on amicable terms for the sake of our son, and I will always care for her.

Setting a now empty glass down on the bar, I am trying to decide whether to tell my friends about this child.I am sure Doctor Frasier and Daniel Jackson will be most forthcoming in their congratulations, but I most worry about hurting Major Carter’s feelings.She and her husband have been trying for quite some time to conceive, and it truly hurts her.She was there when Kelsha was born, and often watches her and my two sons when their mother desires time alone.It seems each time I announced the impending birth of one of my children, Major Carter becomes more anxious she has not yet conceived.I do not wish to hurt Major Carter’s feelings, but I would be remiss in not sharing this wonderful news with my friends.

Since O’Neill has made his feelings quite clear about the Aschen alliance by not attending the ceremony, I shall have to phone him with news of the child.For him, this will mean yet one more of my children for him to spoil, as if he has not spoiled Kelsha enough.Perhaps as her Godfather he is entitled.

I miss O’Neill’s company.He and I have fought side by side in many battles.We are like brothers.We disagreed as brothers when he argued that we should not trust the Aschen.He bears me no ill will for seeing the Aschen as I do, and I do not judge him for viewing them the way he does.He has his reasons for not trusting them as much as I have mine for tolerating them.Perhaps this is why I am not as vexed as Daniel Jackson concerning O’Neill’s refusal to attend the ceremony this morning.

“Teal’c?” Daniel’s voice calls from behind.“Early as usual.”

Turning around, I can see that he, Doctor Frasier and Major Carter are with him.Major Carter looks most happy to see me, but I can sense sadness in her posture.

“Ready for dinner?”Doctor Frasier asks.

Rising up from my chair, I say, “I am indeed.”

“Teal’c, I’m glad you stayed,” Major Carter tells me.Her eyes are very troubled.I cannot help but notice.

“As am I,” I say, my voice telling her I know all is not well.“Something troubles you?”

A few moments of silence pass as she and Doctor Frasier exchange unsettled glances. “Nothing I can’t handle,” she says, smiling as she puts ahand on my shoulder.“And I’m starving so let’s eat.”

Things have most definitely changed.But what has remained the same is our kinship for each other.We have faced numerous enemies side-by-side. Sometimes we have failed, other times we have prevailed.I do not know what the future will bring.But I do know whatever it is, we will face it, together.

I should have known something strange was going to happen this morning when the commissary was fresh out of froot loops.

I’ve been trying to put on my boxing gear, and it’s taking me twice as long as it normally does.Teal’c keeps giving me these strange looks like I’m holding him up, which I am.My brain is still trying to grasp how just a few hours ago the stargate opened up, and SG-1’s iris code was transmitted while we were standingl in the control room. The whole scene spooked the hell out of me, especially since I was expecting us to run into ourselves.Instead, a crumpled piece of paper came sailing through the event horizon, bouncing along the ‘gate ramp until it rolled to a complete stop.

“O’Neill,” he announces, stretching his imposing frame.“You are still troubled by Doctor Frasier’s findings?”

“You could say that,” I tell him.“A note written in my handwriting, signed by me that has mine and Sam’s blood on it.”

“It disturbed me as well.”

I start tying up my gloves; ignoring the impatient look the SGC’s resident Jaffa is giving me.“Teal’c, aren’t you the least bit…curious?You know, about what happened when we visited P4C-970?”

“Whether I am or not does not change the fact that we will never visit that world.”

“True. Remember the last time we had a note written in someone else’s handwriting?”

“When we went backwards in time to your earth year of nineteen sixty nine?”

I nodded. “Sam wondered when I sent it.From the looks of what was written in the note, it’s from the future.The question is, how far?”

Teal’c pushed the heavy bag with a finger and said, “It seems we will never know.”

“I wonder if I still have all my hair?Or all my teeth,” I said with a chuckle.Teal’c just raised an eyebrow at me, giving me a no-so-subtle reminder that his patience was wearing thin. “Don’t you wonder what would happen in the future? Like if we managed to finally beat the Goa’uld?If you still need Junior in you to live? If you and what’s her name get together?”

I tossed that last one in there to get back at him for rushing me.All of SG-1 knew about the little earth woman who could make the big, bad alien absolutely tongue-tied.

“I do not know of whom you speak, O’Neill,” Teal’c muttered.He knew exactly whom I was talking about.Playing dumb is not his strong suit.

“Yes you do,” I chastised.“You know, the new research scientist you keep looking at when you think no one is paying attention.The one with the nice -”

“We have delayed our boxing session long enough,” he said sharply.“We shall begin now.”

“Sure,” I say, knowing that the topic is closed for discussion.Besides, I’ve had my fun…for now.When we’re done here, I’m hoping we pass her in the hallway just so I can see Teal’c sweat a little.

A part of me wants to visit P4C-970, just to see what the fuss is about.But looking at the note written in my handwriting, and the blood smeared across it, I know better than to second-guess myself. If I said not to visit this planet, we’re sure as hell not going there.And Hammond ordered the address locked out of the dialing program to assure we or anyone else doesn’t go there.

But I can’t help but wonder what happened on 970 and when.I guess I’ll just have to wonder.

fin

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Trish Williams