Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Fairy Tale Ending?

by Jobeth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Fairy Tale Ending?

Fairy Tale Ending?

by Jobeth

Title: Fairy Tale Ending?
Author: Jobeth
Email: jfreggens@prodigy.net
Category: AU, Angst
Pairing: Daniel/Sha're
Spoilers: None
Season: future
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: adult themes
Status: Completed
Summary: In an alternate universe the SG1 manage to rescue Sha're. This story deals with the aftermath.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: Feedback (positive or negative) is always welcome.

Cheyenne Mountain:

As Dr. Janet Fraiser entered the commissary she noticed Daniel sitting alone, looking extremely depressed. Janet felt surprised at the sight. Since Sha're's rescue from Apophis and the removal of the symbiont three months earlier Daniel had been in a state of euphoria. For the first few weeks he had stayed by Sha're's side in the infirmary. Then after an extensive debriefing, they had visited Abydos, joyously reuniting with Kasuf and Skaara. When the celebrations had ended Daniel and Sha're had returned to Earth, eager to resume their married life together.

Janet sat beside him, not speaking. Several moments later he realized he was no longer alone. Attempting a smile, Daniel said "I'm afraid I'm not very good company right now Janet".

"Do you want to talk about it?" the doctor asked.

"It's Sha're, things aren't going too well. She's having so much trouble getting used to everything " he said.

"That's not really surprising Daniel. After all Sha're's been through during the last four years it's only natural that she'd have problems adjusting to a normal life again. Besides, Colorado Springs is completely different from Abydos" Janet said.

"Cassie adjusted to life on Earth" Daniel pointed out.

"Cassie was 12, not 25, she also hadn't spent four years as a host" Janet responded.

"I'm trying Janet, it's just that this isn't anything like I thought it would be. I built up this fantasy over the last four years, and the reality is so different" Daniel said.

"What did you think it would be like?" she asked.

"I always pictured a happy reunion with Skaara, Kasuf, all our friends on Abydos gathered around to celebrate" he responded.

"And afterwards?" Janet said.

"I never really thought beyond that" he replied. "I always just assumed we would live happily ever after".

"Like a fairy tale. Did you really believe you could just pick up where you left off as if nothing had happened?" Janet asked.

"Sha're wants to go back to Abydos permanently" Daniel stated.

"And you don't?" Janet asked.

"Of course not Janet, not after all this time. I can't give up my work, it's too important, not just to me, but to the whole world. I can't give up the SG1 knowing the Gou'ald are out there, ready to attack. It's not like the first time I went there, when we had no idea how many worlds were inhabited, or what the dangers were. What am I supposed to do on Abydos anyway, herd mastedges, mine naquadah?" Daniel said. "I don't want to waste my life doing menial labor. Not when there's so much to see, so much to learn."

"Maybe you could get counseling, work out your problems" Janet suggested.

"I just don't know, we're not the same people, I can't even talk to her anymore, we have nothing in common" he cried.

Janet gazed at Daniel, an expression of sympathy crossing her face. "Do you still love her?" she asked.

"Of course I love Sha're, why else would I have been faithful to her all this time if I didn't love her" Daniel said. "Janet, I've never been good with people, it's not like I had a lot of experience with women before I went to Abydos. I only had one real relationship, and that was a disaster" he said.

"Daniel are you sure you haven't been using Sha're as an excuse to avoid getting involved with anyone else, to risk being hurt?" Janet asked.

Daniel stared at her, a shocked expression on his face. Making an excuse he left the commissary. Janet watched him leave. She turned around to see Colonel O'Neill gazing sadly at Daniel's retreating figure.

//Daniel deserves so much better, why does he always have to get the shaft?// Jack recalled the innocent girl they had encountered on Abydos years ago. Although Sha're had not changed physically, she seemed very different. Daniel had been through some changes as well, Jack reflected. The Colonel couldn't help comparing the shy stammering geek he first met, with the tough, (yes, Daniel was tough when he had to be), eloquent man Daniel had become. An unpleasant suspicion crossed Jack's mind //could the snake have permanently altered her?// Remembering the brief period he had been invaded by a symbiont, he shuddered in revulsion. //For crying out loud, this is Sha're we're talking about, not Hathor. Of course she's having adjustment problems, who wouldn't, they'll work their way through it somehow.//

Later, in Daniel's apartment a scream suddenly shattered the quiet night, "Help me, Danyell" Sha're cried.

Daniel immediately awoke. "I'm here, it's all right" he said, trying to soothe her.

"Where were you, why did you let me be taken?" Sha're sobbed.

Hearing those words, Daniel was filled with guilt. He had blamed himself for Sha're's abduction, despite his friends efforts to convince him otherwise, but to hear it from Sha're herself was deeply painful. "I'm so sorry, Sha're, I didn't know what would happen" he said.

"You have been nothing but a curse on my life. Before we were happy, there has been nothing but misery on Abydos since you came" she said.

Daniel flinched at her words, but he had to acknowledge their truth. The population of Abydos had known much suffering since the arrival of the first Stargate mission. //If it weren't for us neither Sha're or Skaara would have become hosts, all of those killed by Ra and Apophis would be alive today, their families spared so much agony// he thought.

""I was forced to bear that monster's child" Sha're whispered.

"I know" Daniel said. "It doesn't make any difference to me" he claimed. As he spoke those words Daniel knew they were a lie. Even though he knew intellectually that Sha're was blameless, emotionally, it was different. He tried not to think that she should have resisted more, somehow defied the symbiont, but images of Sha're swollen with Apophis' child tormented Daniel despite his efforts to control his thoughts. Before, Daniel could suppress them, but seeing Sha're everyday only served to intensify his feelings of revulsion.

Sha're studied him carefully. Daniel had never been able to hide his feelings from her. The repulsion he felt clearly showed on his face. Unable to bear his presence she went out onto the balcony.

Standing alone, looking out over the alien city Sha're smiled bitterly, remembering the conversation she and Daniel had about Teal'c. "Husband, why do you forgive him, he is responsible for the torment Skaara and I endured" Sha're demanded, angrily.

"Teal'c is my friend" Daniel tried to explain.

"Friend, he is a fiend" she retorted. "How can you say you still love me, if you are not willing to avenge me" she said. However, instead of avenging her Daniel continued to work with the Jaffa, even spending time in his company. It was outrageous. No man of Abydos would behave so.

Nothing was as she had expected. Throughout her captivity she longed to return to Abydos with her Daniel and resume their married life. Instead, she found herself living in this crowded, noisy, city, constantly surrounded by more people than she thought existed. Daniel was a stranger to her now, his experiences during their long separation had changed him from the shy young man she first met. He was now more soldier than scholar, a man of action, not a dreamer. It would never change she thought. If she stayed with Daniel she would spend the rest of her life living in this alien world.

Sha're recalled the day she first met Daniel and the other members of his team. The Abydonian had believed they must be gods, these men with their magical devices and strange ways. With all wonders she had seen since then it was hard to remember the naive young girl who had been so impressed by Daniel. Since then Sha're had been a witness to technology that made the Tauri seem primitive. It was embarrassing to think that she had once thought a fountain pen was magic.

Sha're wondered what her life would have been like if Daniel had never discovered the secret of the stargate. Who would she have married? Surely she would have been a mother several times by now. Painful memories of the baby lost to her and the ordeal she had endured at Apophis' hands flooded her mind everytime she looked at Daniel. //It is his fault, he ruined my life.// she thought angrily. //I would have been content without him. The demon would never have touched me, so many of our people would still be alive, Skaara would never have suffered so, if it weren't for him.// Sha're knew that Daniel had not meant to bring pain to her people. Daniel would never deliberately harm anyone, but the results were the same, and it was the outcome of his actions, not the intentions behind them, that she had to live with. She wanted to get away, to be among familiar surroundings, not to be constantly reminded of her suffering.

Sha're stood on the balcony, viewing scene below. The city bewildered her, the traffic noise assaulted her ears. The people she met were completely different than any she had known before. She did not belong here on Daniel's world, she would never belong here. Yes, it would have been better for her if they had never met. Coming to a decision, she returned to face her husband.

Cheyenne Mountain:

"So she's really going back then?" Jack said.

"Yes, she's leaving me again" Daniel replied. "I don't thing she's ever coming back."

"Maybe it's for the best" Jack said.

"I can't let her go back to Abydos, she's my wife" Daniel said.

//I'm not surprised that relationship hit the crapper//, Jack thought. "I don't think any marriage could survive what you two have been through" he said.

"What are you saying Jack, I should just give up, after all we've been through. It's just, every time I look at Sha're I keep seeing her and Apophis together. I know it wasn't her fault, that it was really Amonet, but still, I can't get that image out of my head" Daniel said. "And, well, I don't think Sha're has really forgiven me for letting it happen. I know she's tried, but she can't" he continued.

"I'm just saying since you both obviously can't get past this maybe you should just call it quits" Jack said.

"I have to try" Daniel cried.

"Why?" Jack asked. "Face it Daniel, it's not like the two of you ever had a normal relationship".

"What do you mean by that" Daniel snapped.

"Look, you didn't even know you were married to her until the next day." Jack said. "It's not like you two dated, got to know each other first, and from what you said, you spent most of your time on Abydos studying their culture" Jack went on.

Daniel turned away, "I don't want to hear this" he said.

"Daniel listen to me, how much time did you and Sha're actually spend alone together?" Jack asked.

Daniel flushed, "we spent time together" he protested.

"Did you ever really get to know her?" Jack continued.

Daniel glared at Jack. "I thought you liked Sha're", he said, his anger rising.

"I'm not saying I don't like her, I'm just saying that maybe she's not right for you, that she was never right for you. You have two Ph.D's and she thought a fountain pen was magic for crying out loud." Jack said. "Sha're's a nice kid, but come on, Daniel, ya gotta admit she's not exactly your intellectual equal. What exactly is the big attraction here?" the colonel continued.

Daniel sank into a chair, placing his head in his hands. "What can I do?" he moaned. "I feel so guilty".

"Let her leave, trying to hold on is just gonna make both of you miserable. I know it's hard to let go, but sometimes it's better to end it. Believe me, I know" Jack said. "Daniel, you were apart four times as long as you were together. Don't feel guilty because you're not superhuman."

"Oh god you're right, I should let her go" Daniel admitted.

Several days later:

Daniel watched Sha're enter the wormhole, his mind filled with a mixture of regret, sadness and relief. Jack stood next to Daniel, remembering the end of his marriage to Sara. //He looks awful, it'll be a long time before he gets over this.// Jack put an arm around Daniel's shoulder, "Come on, big guy, let's go back to my place and get drunk" he said.

Epilogue:

Four weeks later:

Daniel was alone in his office, lost in thought. Kasuf had sent a message to the SG1 command. Sha're had decided to stay on Abydos permanently, thus releasing him from any obligation towards her. Daniel couldn't prevent feeling relieved at the news. He wished her well, hoping that she would be able to find happiness with someone else. Someone who didn't bring back painful memories or guilty feelings.

His basic honesty forced him to admit he had been idealizing his relationship with Sha're, using her as an excuse not to get involved with anyone, to risk being hurt. Janet was right, he realized, it was time to let go of the past and get on with his life.

Infirmary:

"and you wouldn't believe how he treated me Janet, as soon as we got to the cabin he turned into a complete pig. I couldn't stay another minute" Sam complained. "Don't forget, I'm taking Cassie to the mall tonight" Sam said as she left the area.

Daniel paused in the doorway. He watched Janet move briskly through the infirmary, exuding competence. Although there had always been an undercurrent of attraction between them Daniel had never seriously considered acting on his feelings. However, it was time to stop living in limbo. "Janet" he said, a shy smile lighting his face. "Do you have any plans for tonight?"

End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jobeth