Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, A

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

by pz

Summary: Pete shows that he weaker than he seems and Sam gets hurt. Our favourite, Jack, is there to take care of her. A nice long one to occupy us until series 8. I've a feeling this could be a recurrent theme!
Category: Angst, Drama, Future Story, Hurt/Comfort
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/other
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/01/04

WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING

Pete Shanahan glanced at his watch in irritation and then took another long pull at his bottle of beer. There was already one empty bottle on the table and this one was only one more pull to joining it.

He idly looked around the bar. It was early yet and there was only a couple of die-hard regulars perched on the high bar stools, arguing about the finer points of a football match that was being played out on the flickering television in the corner. The barman was throwing in the odd comment as he polished glasses with a snowy white cloth. Across the other side, two girls were giggling as they studied the juke box. They were dressed for a good night out and he coolly appraised their tight skirts and low cut tops. His glance lingered appreciatively over the long expanse of leg encased in sheer black stockings that was being displayed by the tall redhead. She was all too aware of his interest and she leaned provocatively over from the hips to straighten the already perfect stocking seam that ran up her leg.

A low whistle in his ear interrupted his musings.

`Shannie boy. I see things don't change!'

The words were accompanied by a heavy handed punch between the shoulders.

Pete Shanahan turned round and grinned at his friend.

`About time' he said pointedly, displaying his watch.

`Sorry, mate. Got caught up in some departmental meeting. You know how it goes!' said Agent Jo Faraday wryly.

Pete nodded dismissively.

`Beer?' he offered.

`Sure!' said Jo, his eyes wandering back over to the two women.

He was met by their eyes as they glanced back at him. The redhead whispered something into the ear of the brunette and they dissolved in giggles again.

`I think that we're being appraised' said Jo sotto voce, `I'll take the brunette'.

Pete shook his head.

`Sorry, Jo. I'm kind of attached, y' know?' he said.

Jo looked at him with interest.

`Do tell' he demanded, `I know! It's that air force Major you asked me to run a background on, isn't it?'

Pete nodded as he accepted the beers from the waitress.

Jo grimaced.

`An air force Major!' he commented, `Isn't she a little, well you know, butch?'

Pete grinned his little lopsided grin, pulled out a photograph from his pocket and handed it over to his friend.

Jo let out a low whistle as he studied the picture. It was a good photograph of Major Samantha Carter. She was standing in a park, wearing a pretty, flowered halter neck dress that showed her figure to it's best advantage. The sun was reflecting off her bright blond hair and she was honouring the photographer with the full force of her megawatt smile. A swirling breeze had just flipped up the edge of her dress to show a long length of slender leg and she was obviously fighting to tug it back down.

`Wow! Since when did they make a Major that looked like that?' said Jo.

Pete grinned as Jo punched him playfully on the arm.

`I should have known! You haven't lost the old Shanahan magic with the ladies, have you?' he said enviously.

Pete laughed as he stowed the picture away in his pocket again. He suddenly noticed a pair of slender but rounded hips encased in bronze satin leaning against the edge of the table next to him. His eyes followed the satin as it transformed into black lace stretched over pale skin. A pair of long slender arms led to bare creamy shoulders and a tumbling mass of deep auburn red hair. As his eyes finally reached her face he could see that she was all too aware of the effect her closeness was having on him and she ran her pink tongue provocatively over deep copper glossed lips. Her eyes were bright green and half closed in a sultry, smouldering way. He tore his eyes away for a minute and realised that his friend was similarly engrossed, gazing up at a voluptuous dark haired woman. He mentally dropped the epithet of `girl' as these two were definitely all woman.

`Move over, honey' purred the red head, nudging his shoulder with her hip.

Pete slid along the bench seat and she shimmied onto the leather padded bench next to him. Her skirt rode up high as she edged along, showing the slightest hint of a lace stocking top.

`Oh boy' he heard Jo murmur.

Pulling his eyes away from the nylon covered thighs next to him, Pete grinned at the flushed face of his friend as the brunette leaned across him to snaffle a beer. She made sure that he got a very good view of her very ample bosom, struggling as it was to be confined within her top that was slashed almost to her navel.

Jo looked at Pete and shrugged meaningfully. Pete glanced at his red headed companion as she stretched lazily, leaning back against the back of the bench seat.

`You ladies busy tonight?' he asked, giving her one of his cute, intimate smiles.

`I think we are now' she purred, her hand straying onto his thigh.

`Jo?' he asked.

`Definitely' stuttered Jo, his eyes never leaving the brunette's chest.

Pete laughed and summoned the waitress

****************************

Major Samantha Carter was in seventh heaven. She was on leave for the whole weekend and it was only Friday. The sun was shining brightly and she was laid on her back, her hands and (she suspected) her face were covered in black engine oil. She gave a final affectionate tap to the underside of her vintage Volvo as she tightened the oil drain. She wiped her hands on a rag that deposited as much oil as it removed and she shimmied along, following the length of exhaust pipe as it ran down the car. Her torch gave a slightly sharpened perspective to the dull, grey metal and she hummed along to the music that was coming from her mini-disc player and through her tiny ear pieces.

The torch light suddenly caught something unexpected. A pair of black training shoes stood patiently at the side of her car. Baggy denim jeans were pooled over them. She grinned quickly and bracing her heels against the concrete of her garage floor she pulled herself out from under the car. Still lying prone on her trolley, she gazed up at her visitor.

`Colonel!' she said, pulling out her ear pieces.

He held out a hand with an unspoken offer to pull her up, but she showed him her oily palms with a grimace and rolling off the trolley she stood up lithely.

`Having a good time?' he asked, leaning against the wooden workbench that ran the length of her garage, his arms crossed in front of him, his mouth twisted in an indulgent smile.

Sam nodded vigorously as she pulled off the top part of her coveralls, tying the arms around her waist.

`Coffee?' asked Colonel Jack O'Neill simply.

`Oh yes!' murmured Sam gratefully.

She noticed that the Colonel was grinning at her. He touched his nose and flicked his eyebrows. Sam suddenly realised what he was trying to tell her and she quickly glanced in the old spotted mirror leaning up against the bench. She groaned when she saw a large blob of black oil smeared across her nose and face. She felt the faintest brush of skin on skin as Jack touched her arm.

`You wash up, I'll make coffee' he offered.

Sam nodded gratefully and followed him into her house, pulling off her oily coveralls in the tiled porch. She felt a little self conscious although she was wearing running shorts and tee shirt and she hid behind her bundled coveralls as she dashed towards her bathroom. Jack tried not to look at the startling expanse of leg as he ambled towards the kitchen, whistling nonchalantly as he walked.

Jack busied around the kitchen, finding cups, coffee and most impressively, fresh milk. As a bonus he found a fair sized stash of chocolate biscuits in a corner cupboard and he placed selection on a plate.

Sam scrubbed desperately at the oil on her face and hands, leaving the skin a little pink by the time she'd finished. With a grateful sigh she pulled on some fresh jeans and dragged a brush quickly through her hair. She could smell the coffee and she heard the faint tinkling of crockery and the banging of cupboard doors as her CO obviously tried to find what he needed.

Sam walked back into the kitchen to the unexpected sight of Colonel Jack O'Neill sitting back on one of her chairs, his long legs stretched out comfortably in front of him. He was sipping at a cup of steaming coffee and the table was adorned by a plate of chocolate biscuits and a small pretty vase with some freesias and a small spring of fern.

He saw her gazing at the flowers.

`Spotted them on the way over' he said.

Sam frowned.

`You mean you stole them from somebody's front yard?' she asked incredulous.

He shrugged and sipped at his coffee again.

Suddenly Sam looked at them closely.

`That fern does not grow locally at this time of year' she said in triumph.

`I don't believe that I confirmed I'd stolen them' he said, 'They were actually at the gas station. Free with a full tank!'.

`Well, thank you, sir. They're beautiful' said Sam as she took a deep smell of their heady perfume.

Sam sat opposite him and reached for the coffee. She selected a chocolate biscuit and munched at it gratefully. Glancing at her kitchen clock, she sighed.

`I hadn't realised how late it is' she said with a shake of her head.

`Time passes quickly when you're enjoying yourself' said Jack sarcastically.

Sam grinned.

`Yes, sir' she said happily.

`What is it with you and that car?' asked Jack.

`That car represents what is probably be whole years of my life. Mainly spent underneath it and generally covered in oil' she said, `Every time I turn the starter and it purrs into life, it's another success story'.

`Purrs!' picked up Jack.

`Definitely purrs' said Sam.

Jack shook his head.

Sam suddenly realised that she was sat in her kitchen, drinking coffee with Colonel Jack O'Neill.

`Did you want something, sir?' she asked.

`Nope' he said succinctly.

Sam looked puzzled.

`No fishing to do?' asked Sam.

`No Pete to see?' countered Jack pointedly.

`Pete's in Denver' said Sam, with the sudden suspicion that he wouldn't be here if he didn't already know that.

`Why?' asked Jack.

`Seeing an old friend' said Sam coldly.

`You don't like him, do you?' asked Sam bluntly.

`Oh, from what I've seen he's very....' started Jack, finally finishing his sentence with `cute!'

Sam wondered how he could always make an insult out of a nice word.

Sam felt the cold shiver of concern wash over her, so she cupped the hot mug in her hands and took a long drink, relishing the feel of the hot liquid as it warmed her. Jack O'Neill certainly could make a great cup of coffee.

Jack said nothing further, his face a perfect mask of impassivity. Sam felt impatient at his silence.

`You wouldn't have come here unless you wanted something' she pushed.

`Just having a coffee with a member of my team' he said, `Nothing so strange about that, is there?'

`Yes, sir!, I mean no, sir!' stuttered Sam.

`Yes there is' she said suddenly, her voice hardening, `It is strange, and what`s more I think that you knew Pete wouldn`t be here or you wouldn`t have come`.

Jack pursed his lips, but said nothing.

`I guess that this is something about Pete?' she said astutely.

When he remained silent she continued on.

`I suppose that there are factions in the SGC that don't like the fact that Pete knows' she said, `and I suppose that you`ve been sent to find out whether he can be trusted? All that nasty background in black ops comes in useful sometimes, I guess'

Sam stood up from her seat at the table and strode around the room in agitation.

`It's a little hard not to explain to someone when they've seen an alien with glowing eyes shooting what looks like a ray gun. He was injured and we took him to the SGC. Were we supposed to tell him that it just some ordinary military base? Pete's a cop, for God's sake, he's trained to notice' snapped Sam, her voice rising in agitation.

`I think that I'd better go' said Jack suddenly, standing up.

`Yes, you better had' said Sam, standing up close to him, her eyes flashing.

Jack spun on his heel and shut the door quietly behind him. Sam watched his black truck pull away from the kerb before slamming her cup down hard on the work surface, spilling coffee in a pool across its surface.

`Damn you' she cursed.

Jack O'Neill drove quickly away from Sam's house, his face set in a scowl. He drove in silence until a picnic sign loomed up at the side of the road. In one decisive move he swerved off the road and pushed the truck hard down the dirt track. His hands gripped the wheel hard as the truck bounced around the uneven surface. A warning sign notified the end of track and he slammed on the brakes and swerved to a sliding stop, spraying gravel into the shrubs that surrounded him. He switched off the engine and pulled the keys out of the ignition, throwing them hard into the padded passenger seat.

With a self deprecating groan he let his forehead fall forward until it rested on his hands as they gripped the steering wheel.

He remained unmoving until raising his head slowly, he realised that the light was fading fast and with decisive movements he pulled out his cell phone from his jacket pocket. He quickly pressed a sequence of numbers and waited impatiently.

`Daniel, it's me' he muttered, 'You busy right now?'

He listened to the response.

`Shall I bring pizza?' he asked.

With a nod of his head, he switched off his phone and rescued his keys. He started up the engine and set off at a more sedate pace than he'd arrived.

*********************************

`I completely blew it' said Jack, taking a pull at a chilled bottle of beer.

His feet were resting on a low table in front of Doctor Daniel Jackson's sofa . Daniel was slouched in a large overstuffed armchair next to the flickering fire.

`We only needed one more goal and we would have reached the state finals. I was awarded a penalty and I blew it' rambled Jack, putting his empty bottle down next the six others that adorned the table top. With a nudge of his foot he closed the pizza box lid and let his head fall back onto the sofa cushions.

`So that's why you joined the air force?' asked Daniel with a puzzled expression.

`In a fit of pique, I guess. I realised that I wasn't going to make it in professional hockey and I couldn't think of anything else' mumbled Jack.

Daniel shrugged.

`I suppose that it was all much easier for you. Followed in mom and dad's footsteps. High school, college, academic career assured' said Jack.

`Not really!' smirked Daniel, `If you remember, Katherine found me lecturing to empty halls, espousing theories that made me a laughing stock. I had nowhere to live and nowhere to go academically. I hate to think what I'd be doing if it wasn't for the stargate'.

`So the stargate saved us both!' said Jack.

`Look at Teal'c' said Daniel, `Us being on Chulak at the right time gave him the chance to do what he knew was right. Of all of us I guess that he was the one who chose to do all this. We were kind of drafted into it.'

Jack flipped off the cap from another bottle.

`What about Carter?' he said with controlled tones.

`I never did quite understood why Sam wasn't based at NASA. Why she was locked away in some Pentagon backwater working on a project that had no realistic chance of success at the time. The stargate had been about for a while and just sat under a dustsheet for years. Hardly the project for the brightest and best' said Daniel thoughtfully.

Jack frowned.

`I never thought of it like that' he muttered.

Daniel looked watched his friend carefully. He'd known Jack long enough to know that he wouldn't have called him up and come round to his house to make small talk. Jack had drunk quite a few beers as evidenced by the growing pile of empty bottles, but although he'd been holding one all night, Daniel had made sure that he'd only sipped at his beer. He decided a little coaxing wouldn't go amiss.

`No fishing this weekend?' he asked casually.

`No' said Jack, his expression suddenly becoming tight.

`Close!' thought Daniel.

`Pond run out of fish?' pressed Daniel.

`I had other things to do' snapped Jack.

`Oh?' said Daniel, guessing by the grimace of distaste that crossed Jack's face that it wasn't something he wanted to do.

`Something nice?' asked Daniel.

`Work' said Jack shortly.

Daniel raised his eyebrows and gave a quizzical look.

`I thought that General Hammond ordered us all on stand down, under Doc's orders' said Daniel.

`He did. But something came up' said Jack.

`That seems a little unfair' said Daniel, `Anything I can help you with?'

Jack flashed a look at him as though considering the possibility, but he shook his head.

`No, Daniel. Not this one. I have to do this alone' he said slowly.

Daniel felt a chill descend on him. Although he'd grown accustomed to military ways, there was a whole side that he neither knew anything about nor approved of. He knew that Jack had done his fair share of undercover, possibly subversive activities in his past and he knew why. They seemed to pick the people who lived on the edge. People prepared to do distasteful things for whatever reason. Precisely the reasons that Jack was chosen to go through the stargate that first time.

`Did you come here because you're having problems with what you've been asked to do?' asked Daniel astutely.

`I came here for a beer' snapped Jack.

Daniel took that response to mean 'yes'.

`Is it connected with one of us?' asked Daniel, refusing to drop the subject.

Daniel was shocked by the sudden raw emotional look in Jack's eyes before he closed down.

`I guess that it's not me or you wouldn't be here' rambled Daniel, 'Teal'c is visiting Bra'tac, which leaves Sam.'

Jack said nothing, so Daniel continued.

`I can't believe that there's anything personally about Sam that you have to investigate' said Daniel thoughtfully, `Which leaves Pete, I guess?'

`What if it does?' asked Jack suddenly.

`Then I think that you would be right to feel awkward about it' said Daniel.

`Why?' asked Jack carefully.

`I love Sam dearly. She's the sister that I never had. She's obviously close to Pete and I wouldn't want to hurt her. She deserves a little happiness' said Daniel.

`Yeah, she does' sighed Jack, closing his eyes as though to blot out the picture.

`Pete is one way for her to have some kind of life outside the mountain. I have my work' said Daniel, waving his hand at the collection of artefacts that surrounded them, `Teal'c has Ry'ac, Sam needs something'.

`Or someone' said Jack, leaning forward and resting his head in his hands, `and how do you think she's gonna like the person responsible for taking that all away from her?'

`What do you mean?' asked Daniel worriedly.

`Pete may not be all that he seems' said Jack cryptically.

Daniel frowned, trying to understand the nuances of what Jack was saying.

`Are you saying he can't be trusted?' asked Daniel.

`I'm saying that Pete Shanahan is not what he seems' repeated Jack.

Daniel sipped at his beer some more.

`I don't know what you're implying' said Daniel, `but if it means that Sam's going to get hurt, then I think that you need to be absolutely sure of your facts'.

`Unfortunately I am' said Jack, before leaning forward in his seat, his head cradled in his hands. He groaned, then picking up a bottle he threw it hard against the brick fireplace wall where it smashed into a thousand shards of glass. Beer trickled down the rough red bricks and Daniel looked at it in stunned silence.

`I'm sorry' muttered Jack, heading for the kitchen to find the appropriate cleaning materials.

`That bad, huh?' muttered Daniel worriedly.

******************************

Pete scrubbed at his eyes, trying to dissipate the feeling of sand that filled them.

`Hi, Honey' said a liquid voice in his ear.

Pete focussed on the bright green eyes gazing directly into his dark brown ones.

`That was one hell of a night' she purred.

She was laid on one side, the silky covers showing off her luxuriant curves. Pete looked around him curiously. He was in a smartly decorated bedroom. He noticed that sunlight was filtered through gauzy blinds and a glance at the clock on the slender glass table next to the bed confirmed that it was gone 10:00 am. The woman laid next to him looked fresh and beautiful even after consuming the copious amounts of alcohol that he knew that they had. With a groan he also remembered that they'd also had very little sleep, evidenced by the clothes that were scattered around the room.

She ran one perfectly manicured fingernail across his lips and draped one extremely long leg over his hip.

`How about a slow motion replay' she whispered in his ear.

`I need to go' he said hesitantly.

`Go later' she said, running her tongue along his bare shoulder, `You might not remember, but I do live in the same apartment block as you. It`ll only take you a minute to get home.'

Pete looked guilty for a second and then, grinning widely he pushed her back onto the bed, his lips descending on hers, his capable hands pulling back the satin covers and running down her arched body. With an even wider smile, he reached out of the bed and grabbed his pants. He rooted in the pocket and pulled out a set of regulation handcuffs. Dangling then in front of his companion, he watched as she knelt up, straddling him on the bed. She pulled the cuffs sensually off his finger and clipped it first around his wrist and then around the bed post.

The tall young man lazily pushed back his headphones.

`You got that loud and clear?' asked his older companion.

`As clear as a bell' he grinned.

`Video?'

`Good enough to make you very popular and very rich if you circulate it around the guys locker room' said the young man

`That good?'

`Oh yeah! The guy's an animal!'

`Have you downloaded all this back to base?'

The young man looked at the laptop open on the table next to him.

`Last audio just completing' he said, pressing a key.

`Finished' he said, snapping the laptop lid closed.

`Let's go' said the older man, `I think we're finished here'.

`Why do they want this guy?' asked the young man as he packed up the equipment into anonymous black suitcases.

The older man shrugged.

`Who knows. I don't ask questions, I just do what I'm told, I find it so much easier that way' he said.

`I guess that I'll do the same then' said the young guy.

`You'd be wise to'.

Deep underground, on the twenty seventh level of the Cheyenne mountain complex, Airman John Lester frowned as he looked at the mass of readings that flowed across the screen in front of him. After double checking the figures and pressing a few controls, he picked up the phone that was stood on the desk next to him.

`Colonel O'Neill, sir, there's something going on at the subject's apartment block. I'm picking up the transmission of a large data stream going down the line. It's definitely encrypted.' he said briskly.

`Yes, sir. I'm recording it'.

`Yes, sir. At first appearances it seems to be several hours worth of video and audio transmission although it's going to take some expert decoding.'

`I'll let you know when it's finished, sir'.

Jack O'Neill's face was set in a grim expression as he strode down the corridor to the monitoring room. He opened the door and closed it behind him with a slam. He gestured impatiently at the young Airman, who had sprung to attention at his entrance.

`Carry on, Airman' he muttered, `How are you doing?.'

The young man returned his attention to the screens in front of him.

`It's definitely audio and video, but the encryption is proving difficult. It's not like anything I've seen before' he said with a shake of his head.

`Meaning what?' asked Jack.

`It has the hallmark of some of the encryption techniques used by the Pentagon, but with an added layer of complexity' he said.

`How long?' demanded Jack.

`Sir?'

`How long before we get to see this damned thing' Jack snapped.

The Airman shook his head.

`I don't know, sir. Maybe Major Carter could help. She's the best we have on breaking encryption' he said.

`Not gonna happen' snarled Jack.

`What is not going to happen, Colonel?' came a cool voice behind him.

Jack spun round.

`Colonel O'Neill doesn't want to enlist Major Carter's help in breaking this encryption, sir' said the young airman, standing to attention at the sight of the base commander.

`I don't think it would be a good idea, General' said Jack stubbornly to General George Hammond.

`Can you do this without Major Carter?' the General asked the Airman.

`I don't think so, sir' he said.

`Then you may not have the luxury of saying no' said the General firmly.

`I don't think it would be a good idea, sir!' stressed Jack.

`Nevertheless it may be the only option' said the General.

`Only as a last resort' said Jack.

`Agreed, Colonel' said the General.

`I suggest you get back on with that' said Jack to the Airman, waving his hand towards the bank of monitors.

`Yes, sir' he sighed, turning back to face the stream of numbers flowing over the screens.

`Colonel, my office' said the General sharply, before turning and heading back towards the 28th floor, Jack following in his wake.

`Take a seat. Jack' said the General more informally now that they were alone.

`Yes, sir' said Jack, pulling up a chair.

`Take me through the problems here' he asked kindly.

`Carter has formed quite a strong relationship with Pete Shanahan, sir' said Jack quietly, `and after the Osiris incident, clearance was given for him to be told about our existence. A decision that I didn't agree with, sir'.

`Reasons?' asked the General.

`Call it gut instinct, sir. I've worked with a lot of guys like him and I think that he could be vulnerable' said Jack.

`Are you sure that it's not personal?' asked the General softly.

Jack focussed on the wall behind George Hammond.

`It's not personal, sir!' he said firmly, `I'm thinking of the security of the base and the well being of one of my staff'.

`I see' said the General, wondering how much personal feeling there still was between the man sat in front of him and the beautiful and brilliant Major Samantha Carter.

`This encoded data stream is originating from Pete Shanahan's apartment block. It could be a set-up, or it could be someone is collecting data on Shanahan. If so, why and what for?' said Jack.

`You think he could be blackmailed?' asked the General.

Jack shrugged.

`You realise that we may have to call Major Carter in on this if there is a threat of a leak' said General Hammond slowly.

`Yes, sir' said Jack tightly.

`Keep me informed with progress. I suggest we give Lester another two hours before we decide what to do' said the General.

`I'll let you know as soon as we have a breakthrough' said Jack, standing up to leave.

`I won't use Major Carter unless I have to' said the General sympathetically.

`Thank you, sir' said Jack quietly.

***************************

Sam was still feeling disgruntled from her run in with Jack O'Neill the previous day. She'd been unable to settle back down to her motor repairs and to top it all it was raining heavily. The roll of thunder coming from the eastern hills made her shiver as she closed her open windows. The storm had materialized quickly. First the sky had darkened, followed by the heavy splashes of rain that spotted the concrete patio. She'd been clipping an overgrown bush when the rain suddenly lashed down, soaking her through before she realised and gathered together her tools.

She rubbed at her sodden hair with a dry towel, watching the rain as it beat against the window and the frequent flashes that lit up the sky.

Her musing was interrupted by the ringing of the phone and with an annoyed moue she draped the towel around her neck and picked up the handset.

`Carter!' she said succinctly.

`Major Carter, I am aware that you are on leave, however we have a matter of security that requires your assistance' said the voice of General George Hammond.

`In what respect?' asked Sam with a frown.

`Encryption' said the General.

`Ah, I see' said Sam, understanding he reluctance to commit secure information on her unsecured line.

She glanced out the window at the appalling weather.

`An SUV is on it's way for you' he said as though guessing her thoughts.

`Thank you, sir' she said.

`Report for briefing when you arrive' said the General.

`Yes, sir' said Sam, replacing the receiver.

By the time she'd changed her wet clothes for BDUs and dried her hair, she noticed a black SUV waiting at the end of the drive. She pulled on a waterproof jacket and quickly locking up her house, she ran for the car. Pulling open the passenger door, she pushed herself up and onto the seat and quickly shut the door behind her. She shrugged down the hood of her jacket and glanced at the driver.

`Colonel O'Neill!' she said uncomfortably.

`Major!' he said coldly, starting the engine and pulling away.

Sam found herself staring hypnotically at the windscreen wipers as they battled to clear the torrential rain. Shaking her head she broke the spell and cleared her throat nervously.

`I want to apologise, sir' she said quietly.

`What for?' he asked sharply.

`I spoke out of turn, sir' she said.

`No you didn't, Carter' said Jack, surprising her.

`Yes! I wasn't respectful, sir' she persisted.

With a screech of breaks, Jack pulled the SUV over into a parking bay and slammed on the Parking Break. Jack spun in his seat and looked at her, his eyes looking black in the falling light.

`I don't expect respectful from you' he said harshly, `I expect truthfulness and guidance and honesty, and that's all!'

Sam gaped at him and for a moment their eyes locked. For a second she saw sorrow and concern in his eyes and she felt a chill that wasn't connected with the weather raging outside the car.

`Whatever happens, I'll always be there for you' he said seriously.

`Thank you' she said, feeling deeply moved by his simple declaration.

Turning back to face forward, he started the car and pulled back out onto the highway.

Sam frowned as she looked at the rows of figures scrolling across the screen in front of her.

`Can you do this, Major?' asked General Hammond.

`Lester's right sir, the encryption used is based on the Pentagon algorithm, but with an extra mathematical level on top' said Sam engrossed in her work.

Jack O'Neill paced impatiently behind her until he heard her triumphant mutter.

`Yes. That's it! It's base eight math' she said.

`Airman, you may leave' said Jack abruptly, holding the door open for John Lester.

`I'll escort the Airman' said General Hammond, virtually pushing him into the corridor before closing the door behind him.

Sam didn't even notice their departure in her anxiety to resolve the problem in front of her. Her fingers flew across the keyboard and suddenly she pressed a key and a familiar voice emerged from the speaker and video images cleared on the screen. Jack winced as the scene unfolded in front of them. Pete Shanahan was cavorting on a beige silk covered bed with a spectacular redhead.

Sam found that her eyes were glued to the erotic scene displayed in front of her. She watched dispassionately, wondering suddenly why someone was recording it. She felt uncontrollable anger and shame build up inside her until she smacked her fist onto the keyboard freezing the scene in front of her at a particularly intimate moment. She pushed her chair backwards blindly and tried to run for the door. She only managed one stride before a pair of strong, lean arms pinned her to something immovable. She gasped for air, realising that she was facing a chest encased in a green BDU shirt. He held her tight against him, pulling her face down onto his shoulder. Sobs rose in her throat but she fought them down.

`I'm sorry' he muttered over and over into her hair.

She shook her head dumbly, staying still until, at last she felt his arms relax around her.

`You knew, didn't you?' she asked tearfully.

`No' he said.

`Then why?' she asked.

`I think he was set up' said Jack, `Someone is going to blackmail him'.

`To get to me' said Sam with sudden realisation.

`To get to what you know' said Jack uncomfortably.

`He wasn't exactly difficult to set up, was he' she said bitterly.

`Carter, I'm sorry you had to find out like this. If anybody else could have done this I would have got them' said Jack.

`And have half the base laughing at me behind my back. There goes Carter! The men she meets either die or sleep around' she said sadly.

`Can I get you anything?' asked Jack with concern.

`I'd prefer to be alone I think' said Sam and Jack nodded his agreement.

Sam looked at him pointedly and understanding her need to think over what she'd seen he reluctantly left the room. Sam watched the door close behind him and then flopped back down onto her chair. She found her eyes drawn back to the screen, and pressing a key, she restarted the video. She watched as Pete and the unknown woman made love with a ferocity that astonished her. He was so unlike the Pete that she knew and loved, that she found herself denying that it was him and then excusing herself as she felt aroused by what she saw on the screen. They were certainly an experienced and knowledgeable couple. She watched as they switched positions fluidly and she felt her cheeks flush as she realised how long they'd been making love. Her own love life with Pete had been very nice, but she felt inexperienced and self conscious that she obviously had never aroused him as much as this woman obviously did.

She shut off the screen with a quick push of her hand and grabbed her jacket from it's peg beside the door. Moving quickly, she pulled open the door and virtually ran down the corridor , not hearing the voice calling her name.

Jack O'Neill reached the lift just as the doors closed behind Sam. He watched the floor indicator until he realise that it had gone all the way to the surface. He grabbed a phone and rung the gate guard. He cursed when he heard an engaged tone. He tried again and barked his order down the handset when the guard eventually answered.

`Detain Major Carter if she attempts to leave the base' he shouted.

`She's already left, on foot?' .

He slammed the phone down and jumped into the lift as it opened. He pushed the level 1 button impatiently and stepped from foot to foot until the door slid apart. He ran down the corridor leading the outside, his mind in turmoil, but his priorities clear. He had to find Sam. He knew she must be feeling ashamed and betrayed. At the guard room, he grabbed a waterproof and a torch and ran in the direction that the airman had seen Sam go.

It was dark now, but the rain was lashing down even harder than it was. He swore as the semi frozen rain stung his eyes, making it hard to see. He shouted her name.

`Carter!!!'.

He stopped for a moment and listened, but he could hear nothing over the howling wind and his torch beam barely penetrated the driving rain. Forcing himself to stop and think logically he recalled a small clearing that Sam had discovered when she'd first been posted to the mountain. It had served as her refuge over the years, especially when they'd returned from particularly difficult missions. He suspected that she didn't know that he knew of it's existence. He'd followed her there after Daniel Jackson's death, concerned about her state of mind. He'd watched her secretly as she'd sobbed her heart out, but he'd not interfered, guessing that she needed time alone. He knew she'd been there again when her friend Dr Janet Fraser was killed. He guessed that she would head there now.

*** Sam sighed with relief as she made out the little flat area that had become her personal sanctuary over the years. She knew it intimately and she didn't need the brilliant flash of lightening that lit it up. She struggled against the rain until she reached a small rocky outcrop. The centre most rock was flat topped and it was here that she'd always sat and contemplated life. With a wry grin she realised that the rocks to the side of it had seen more of her tears than any living person.

She knew that she hadn't stopped crying since she left the base, but that the tears just mingled with the rain that streamed down her face. She'd abandoned her jacket when it had snagged on a thorn bush and she hadn't felt able to wrestle it off and now she felt cold.

Wrapping her bare arms around her, she tried to hug a little warmth back into her rapidly chilling limbs.

Suddenly an image of Pete and the woman came back into her mind and she choked back a wracking sob. It felt like the floodgates opened and she leaned against the rock next to her and screamed into the howling wind.

As Jack O'Neill fought through the last bushes and into the clearing he made out a single figure laying prostrate on some rocks. He realised immediately that she didn't have a jacket and that if he didn't do something quickly she would go into hypothermia. She was clutching at the rocks as though trying to derive some strength from them, and when he reached her side and carefully touched her arm, she didn't move.

`Carter!' he shouted.

She remained immobile as he pulled her up and opening his jacket and shirt he wrapped them around them both, trying to use his body heat to warm her. As his heat penetrated her chilled skin, she clutched at the front of his tee shirt and he could feel her shaking as she sobbed.

He let her cry out her anger and sorrow until she gradually stilled against him, her cheek resting at the base of his neck. He stroked her back soothingly but said nothing.

Eventually he felt her pull back from him and he let her. She stopped when she was far enough away for her to look up into his eyes. He still had his arms wrapped loosely around her waist, but she surprised him when she suddenly reached up both hands and held his face firmly. Before he could say anything, she pressed her lips against his and he felt as though he'd gone into freefall. She kissed him passionately for a while and then pulled away. He restrained himself from grabbing her and dragging her back for more. His whole body ached for her.

`That wasn't so bad, was it?' she asked hoarsely.

`Carter?' he whispered, trying to understand what she was meaning.

`Pete obviously wasn't impressed' she muttered incoherently, then more forcefully, 'Tell me! Was it really that bad?'

Her eyes were glued to his face as though his answer was the most important thing in the world.

`It works for me' he said softly.

She suddenly stood to attention.

`I apologise sir. That was inexcusable. I accept whatever punishment you deem appropriate.'

Jack looked at her and restrained himself from laughing outright. She was stood in front of him in the pouring rain, looking like a drowned rat. Instead he put on a deliberately stern face and played the fierce Colonel.

`Major Carter, I'll deal with this major breach of regulations later, but for now I suggest we get back to base and try and resolve the security issue that we have there' he said.

`Yes, sir' she said, and let him lead back to the warmth and dryness of the mountain.

******************************

`You are well, Major Carter?' came an impossibly deep voice from the door of her lab.

`Teal'c!' said Sam with genuine pleasure, turning round to greet him.

Teal'c walked in the room and stood next to her, his hands clasped behind his back.

`Are Ry'ac and Bra'tac well?' she asked.

`They are both very well. Ry'ac is progressing satisfactorily in his studies and he is growing very tall' said Teal'c.

`That's great' said Sam, her hand resting on Teal'c's massive forearm.

`What are you doing' asked Teal'c after a moment's study of the screen in front of Sam.

She blushed immediately but tried to answer dispassionately.

`We have a security leak. We know the source but not where the data is being transmitted to. I'm trying to trace logs to find out. It's complicated. The data's been rerouted all over. They bounced it off several satellites before it reached home.'

`I see' said Teal'c.

`I expect Colonel O'Neill told you' she said quietly.

`He told me of the involvement of Pete Shanahan' said Teal'c calmly.

`Yeah!' said Sam sadly.

`I am more sorry than I can say, Major Carter' said Teal'c solemnly.

`So am I' said Sam.

`Do you love him?' asked Teal'c.

`In a way. I think that maybe I loved the idea of him more than he himself. Oh, don't get me wrong, he was a nice guy. We had good times and I think I needed some good times of that sort' said Sam.

`What will happen now?' asked Teal'c.

`If you mean with Pete? Colonel O'Neill has left that decision to me. Obviously if we carry on as normal it will buy the SGC some time, but I just don't know if I can' said Sam.

She looked up at the massive Jaffa and wondered what it was about him that always made her feel that she could unburden herself to him. He been her 'father confessor' for a number of years.

`It seems likely that what happened was for a purpose' said Teal'c.

`You mean that they're going to use it to blackmail Pete. Yeah, I know' said Sam sadly.

`It could be a mechanism for feeding these people invalid information' said Teal'c.

`I know that too.' sighed Sam, `But I would have to pretend like nothing happened. Carry on meeting Pete.'

`That would be awkward?'

`We were intimate' said Sam, blushing `but I couldn't carry on that way knowing what I know now. But if I don't, he'll suspect.'

Teal'c tilted his head and gazed silently at her with his soft, black eyes.

`Oh, Teal'c' said Sam, `What do I do?'

`Has Colonel O'Neill asked you to do this?' asked Teal'c.

`No! Not at all. But I know how much it would mean if I could feed these people with inaccurate information. It would allow us to trace it all the way up the line.'

`It would indeed be useful, but I do not think that O'Neill would expect you to compromise your integrity just for that. I think that you should talk to him'.

`Did Colonel O'Neill tell you that I behaved inappropriately?' she asked, her cheeks glowing red.

`He did not' said Teal'c.

`Well I did' said Sam.

`In what way?' asked Teal'c with a raised eyebrow.

`I'd found out about Pete and I said and did some things that I shouldn't' said Sam.

`I am sure that Colonel O'Neill will understand' said Teal'c.

`I'm not so sure' said Sam, `I could be court-marshalled for what I did.'

`I do not think that Colonel O'Neill would punish you for your actions' said Teal'c.

`He may have no option' said Sam sadly, `And it makes it pretty difficult to discuss intimate issues with him`.

`I see' said Teal'c, his face displaying no emotion.

Sam knew that Teal'c understood the undercurrents of emotion that ran though her relationship with Jack O'Neill. Undercurrents that had governed her behaviour towards him for a number of years, until Pete came along. That day in the lift when Jack had commenting on her humming, he'd asked her immediately about Pete as though he sensed what was happening. His acknowledgement of feeling awkward was the closest thing she'd heard him say about their relationship. Surely if they were just CO and 2IC, there would be no awkwardness. She knew that she couldn't discuss this with him. She would have to make her own decision.

Pete looked at the redheaded woman. He felt as though she'd punched him in the face.

`Do you understand the situation Peter?' she asked coolly, pressing the remote control button to stop the video that was playing.

Pete shook his head and the woman sighed.

`We just want to know what's going on at the SGC. Listen, we don't work for some foreign agency, we work for the United States of America and what we think is that everyone has the right to know what's going on inside that mountain' she said.

`If you have the correct clearance, why don't you just ask?'

The redhead shook her head, her red curls tossing luxuriantly.

`So naive!'

`I'm a cop! I wouldn't say I was nave,' said Pete beginning to feel annoyed.

`In the political world, you're just a sweet little innocent' she said, leaning over and ruffling his hair, `The two guys that run the SGC use tax payers money like it was going out of fashion.'

`Maybe they're just doing their job.'

`They use that mountain like it was their own little play area. You'll see after a while.'

Pete shook his head, `I don't think so.'

The redhead changed videos and pressed the `PLAY' button. The image this time showed him in Sam's hallway. She was kissing him hungrily and pulling at his tie. She paused the tape.

`Where did you get that?' he shouted.

Red smiled sweetly.

`Where there's a will there's a way' she chanted. `She's very sweet isn't she, for an air force Major. She has great prospects, you know. Could go all the way!'

Red frowned suddenly, `Oh I forgot! She did go all the way! That night anyway!'

`There's nothing wrong with that, we are two unattached consenting adults' shouted Pete.

`Of course you are. But it looks to me as though you've fallen for her pretty hard and I don't think that you'd be very keen on her seeing our little performance. I know her type. That sweet, girl next door type just doesn't take kindly to her boyfriend screwing around with someone he just met in a bar. You'd be out of the door so fast, your feet wouldn't touch the ground. Now if it was me, I'd find it all positively arousing.' She gave a little seductive wriggle on her chair.

`You're blackmailing me' whispered Pete, his face looking pale.

`Not really. I wouldn't call it blackmailing. All we want is a little information. I'm sure that given time you'll see our point of view anyway. This will just help speed up the process a little. It's for the benefit of our country that we get rid of Hammond and O'Neill.'

`O'Neill is Sam's CO' he said.

`And Hammond is O'Neill's!' she replied.

`You want me to get information that will bring down Sam's CO?' he asked.

`You have it!' she beamed. `And the way will be clear for Sam to take his place. You can't deny that would make her happy?'

`I don't know! She hasn't talked about the people she works with but I get the feeling they could be pretty close' said Pete doubtfully.

`I think if I were Sam's boyfriend, I would be asking exactly how close' said Red, studying her long polished nails.

Pete frowned.

`You're talking crap!' he snarled.

`Ah. The green eyed god raises his head' she smirked.

`What if I don't do this?' asked Pete.

`Both tapes get broadcast. We have complete access to cable and we can gets lots of publicity for the showings. You'd be surprised how big an audience there is for this kind of stuff.' Her gold bangles jangled as she waved towards the TV screen still showing a still of Pete and Sam pulling at each other's clothing.

`Doesn't it bother you? What you did last night? That thousands of people would see you as well?' asked Pete acidly.

She laughed, `I already have a fan club! Thinking about all those people watching me is most stimulating'.

Pete looked disgusted.

`What do you want?' he asked with a sigh, `And how do I know that you won't do it anyway?'

`Get us what we want and the tapes are yours. If I were you, I'd keep them safe. They make great viewing for a Friday night!'

`What do you want?' he asked.

Red smiled at him and leaning over, she pulled out a slender brown folder and gave it to him.

`The details are all in there' she said.

*****************************

Sam looked at her phone as it rang, knowing that she was going to have to face Pete at some time or another. With a sudden, decisive movement, she picked up the handset.

`Carter!'

`Sam, Honey, it's me.'

`Pete! I thought you were busy partying up there in Denver?'

`You know, somehow going out with the guys has lost some of it's charm. I miss you, Sam.'

`I miss you too.'

`Good, because I'm flying into Colorado Springs tonight. Meet me?'

`Sure!'

`We can go for some dinner. And then maybe coffee at your place.'

`I have to be at work early tomorrow.'

`Ok. We'll skip dinner. I'll just come round for coffee?'

`That would be nice.'

`I only merit a "nice"?'

`That would be lovely.'

`Lovely! I like that! Don't meet me at the airport, I'll be at yours by 7:30.'

`I'll have the coffee brewing.'

`Love you.'

`See you later, Pete.'

`Aw! Don't I even get a little "love you" back?'

`Love you.'

`That's nice.'

Sam stared at the phone when she'd replaced the handset. She was shocked how easy had been to deceive him, and then she remembered that it was him that had deceived her. Nervously she wiped her hands down her jeans and walked slowly to her bedroom and opened the wardrobe door. She surveyed the contents and pulled out a pretty blue, very fitted dress that she'd bought in a weak moment from one of the high class stores down town. The back was cut very low and slender silk straps fastened around the back of her neck. She slipped it on quickly and surveyed herself in the mirror. Unsatisfied, she fastened the straps around her neck tighter so that her breasts pushed up higher, deepening her cleavage. After a moment's thought she rooted in her underwear drawer and found a tiny pair of jewelled panties. She slipped into them and leaning forward she struck a suggestive pose, allowing the dress to ride up over hips and her breasts to spill from the front deep neckline.

`Is that cheap enough for you, Pete?' she muttered, and then as tears threatened to come once more she tugged at the dress straps, slipped it off and flung it onto the bed.

By the time she opened the door at 7:30 precisely, she was fully composed. She knew the information that she was going to feed Pete, but the thought of meeting him again left her feeling cold inside. She smoothed down the blue dress and fluffed her hair a little.

`Hi!' he said shyly from the doorstep and then let out a low whistle.

`You look gorgeous!' he said, his eyes looking her up and down.

`Thank you' she said, gesturing for him to enter.

Once in the hallway he grabbed her from behind and nuzzled her neck.

`Let's forget the coffee' he murmured.

Sam wriggled in his grasp.

`But it's already made' she said lamely.

`Who cares!' he said, letting his hands slide round her to cup her breasts.

Sam stared ahead of her, frozen by his touch.

`I do' she said softly.

`I'm sorry. You just looked so beautiful' said Pete, pulling away from her a little.

Sam turned and smiled at him.

`Tell me about your trip to Denver' she said pulling him towards the kitchen.

`Oh boring really. We just talked football and drank some beer and talked more football and drank more beer' he said wryly.

`Sounds great' said Sam as she poured the steaming coffee into two mugs.

`I can think of things I'd rather be doing' said Pete, grinning.

Sam winced.

`How's things at the mountain? Anything exciting happening?' he asked nonchalantly.

`Actually there is' said Sam.

`Tell me' he said.

Sam shrugged.

`Hey, I've got clearance now, remember. I saw the woman with the glowing eyes and got shot with a ray gun' he said sweetly.

`Zat gun' corrected Sam.

`Ok, zat gun.'

Sam looked thoughtful for a moment and then as though deciding to tell him she continued speaking.

`It's Sara. You remember the woman with the glowing eyes? Sara was Daniel's girlfriend until she was taken by the Goa'uld.'

`They're the bad guys?' interrupted Pete.

`You could say that' said Sam, 'We have an ally who can straighten out people who've been taken by the Goa'uld and return them back to their former selves. We thought that Sara was "cured" but it turns out she wasn't. Now she's escaped, on Earth with a whole bucketful of SGC security information. We may have totally compromised the base.'

`So one of these Goa'ulds is running round free. Sounds serious' said Pete.

`It is!' said Sam.

Pete walked over to her and placed his cup down on the work surface. He wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his head into her neck.

`Hey! Let's play Goa'ulds and good guys' he muttered, peppering little kisses across her skin.

`Who'll be the good guy?' asked Sam.

`Me of course! You can capture me and have your wicked way' he said.

`Sounds fun' said Sam, shivering internally.

`I guarantee it' said Pete, pulling her by the hand towards the bedroom.

Jack O'Neill pushed back his seat as far as it would go and stretched out his legs to dissipate the cramp that was threatening to engulf his right knee. The black windows of his SUV effectively obscured him from any potential nosy neighbours and his black clothes and close fitting black hat, pulled low over his forehead ensured that he was virtually invisible as he sipped at a coffee and settled back to wait.

He'd seen Pete Shanahan arrive at Sam's house and he'd caught a glimpse of Sam as she opened the door and let him in. He was uncomfortable with what she was obviously wearing, as well as feeling a little shell shocked. He was used to seeing his Major in BDUs and even dress blue uniform, but that dress.....!!

She hadn't talked to him since the incident in the rain, only to coolly inform him that Pete was coming into town that night and that she'd agreed to meet him. He remembered her standing stiffly in front of him in his office, her eyes averted from his. He'd handed her the brown folder with the contrived information and she'd glanced over it without saying anything. He'd silently handed her an alarm button and she'd put it in her pocket without asking what it was for. She'd virtually run from his office at the first opportunity, giving him no chance to say the soothing words of reassurance that he'd planned.

He glanced at the car clock when he saw the bedroom light glow softly through the sheer curtains and automatically he made a note on a small pad, using the street light as his guide.

He fidgeted when the light went off again and pulled the hat down further over his eyes as though not being able to see would take away the pain of thinking what was happening in there. He checked the alarm receiver but the light remained green. Suddenly he sat up again as he saw the door of Sam's house open and Pete Shanahan emerge. Watching through night scope, he saw her kiss him on the cheek and he shivered as Pete ran his hand over Sam's bare shoulder. He waited until the hire car he was driving had moved out of view and he silently slipped out of the SUV door, closing it softly behind him. Crouching low, he ran across the road and up the path running through Sam's neat little front yard. He tapped softly on the door.

Sam expected the tap and opened it, stepping back to allow Jack O'Neill entrance, without speaking.

`You ok?' he asked quietly.

Sam nodded, feeling a tension headache building at the back of her skull.

`I told him I had a headache and that I had an early start tomorrow' she said wryly.

`Ah!'.

`I agreed to meet him tomorrow afternoon' she said.

Jack didn't say anything. He just looked at her.

`I think this has gone far enough' he said sternly.

`He took the bait about Sara' said Sam tiredly.

Jack noticed the drained look in her eyes and nudging her towards the sofa in the lounge.

`Coffee?' he asked.

`Tea, please' she replied.

`Tea!'

Sam looked at his face and genuinely smiled for the first time that evening.

`I'll make it' she said and walked into the kitchen.

Jack followed her in, trying not to look at her lean muscular back as it swayed in the very revealing dress she was wearing. As she turned round and reached up for the tea canister which was sat on a high shelf, he diverted his eyes from the expanse of skin that was revealed, and spotting a sweat shirt on top of a pile of clean clothes he picked it up and tossed it over to her.

`Thought you might be cold' he muttered.

Sam caught the shirt and looked down as though realising what she was wearing. With a blush, she pulled it over her head and smoothed it down.

`Thank you' she said, appreciating his thoughtfulness.

`I'm putting a stop to this' said Jack suddenly.

`But, sir' protested Sam.

`That's an order' he said seriously.

`It's ok' she said.

`No it isn't. It's dangerous. He took the bait about Sara and that should be enough to follow the information trail. We only want to see where it ends up. You don't need to take any more risks.'

Sam shook her head.

`We need more time. I can stall him for a while, until we're sure we have the answers.'

`Not going to happen!'

`He won't hurt me, sir. I do trust him in that way. Trust me and let me do my job.'

Jack looked at her blankly.

`I'll be in distance for the security alarm' he said brusquely.

Sam watched him as he turned and headed for the door.

`Thank you, sir' she called after him.

`Yeah, whatever' he said sourly.

************************************

Pete pulled over as soon as he out of sight of Sam's house and reached into the glove box for a state of the art mobile phone. He pressed a memorized number and waited impatiently.

`Press the orange key and this conversation will be encrypted' said the anonymous voice at the other end of the phone.

Pete Shanahan did as he was bid.

`Encryption on' said the voice, `Now what do you want?'

Pete carefully related all the details that Sam had fed him about Sara.

`Very good, Mr Shanahan.'

`When do I get the videos back?'

`I will have to discuss that matter with my superiors, Mr Shanahan.'

`Hey, hold on fella. If you think that you are gonna string me along with this, you can think again. We had a deal and I'm expecting you to stick to it' shouted Pete.

`I will contact you tomorrow after the veracity of your information has been checked. I'm sure that you understand that, Mr Shanahan?'

The phone went dead and Pete threw it across the car in disgust. He'd experienced blackmailers before in his job and he knew that he had to break the cycle before it dissolved into ever increasing demands. He moved to restart the engine when a black SUV drove smoothly past. Pete frowned at the figure resting his arm on the open window.

`O'Neill' he muttered, his forehead creasing as he pondered what Sam's CO could be doing in her neighbourhood at that time of evening. His mind quickly flicked over the comment that the redhead had made about Sam and her CO, but he dismissed it quickly. The guy was way too old. He was going grey for god's sake! Besides he'd looked hard and cool, not what the chicks went for! He knew only too well what they went for - the little boy lost look. They all wanted to mother, basically. O'Neill did not fit that category from what he'd seen. Not at all!

An idea crystallized in his head. Maybe Sam knew, maybe this had all been a set-up. Maybe that's why she'd been cool towards him. Headache - Crap! He felt anger build within him as he slammed the car into `drive', squealing his tyres as he turned the car. He drove fast and reached her door in a couple of minutes. He didn't bother to shut the car door quietly, taking out his frustration by slamming it hard.

Sam heard the bang and glanced out of her window in curiosity. Her mouth suddenly felt dry as she saw Pete's car parked at the bottom of her path. She couldn't see any sign of Pete however and with quick steps she ran for her panic button, wondering if the Colonel was still within signal reach. She looked frantically round the kitchen, sure she'd left it on the worktop. When she couldn't find it, she ran to her bedroom, intending to get her gun. She flicked on the light but froze in her tracks when she saw Pete Shanahan stood in the middle of her room, her gun, minus its clip on the bed next to him.

`Hi, Sam' he said , `Feeling better?'

`Pete' she said, trying to sound casual, `What are you doing here?'

`I thought I'd come and see how you are. I saw O'Neill and I thought I'd better check on you' he said with narrowed eyes.

Sam's stomach lurched downwards as she realised that he probably knew about the set up.

`Now there's just two possibilities here. Either you're sleeping with your Commanding Officer, and knowing you, I don't think so! Or he was here when I was because he thought you might be in trouble. That means that you know don't you?'

Sam nodded, seeing no reason for denying the obvious.

`How much?' he asked.

`Everything' she said hoarsely.

He winced.

`I'm sorrier than I can say, Sam. I really thought that we had something going,' he said sadly.

`So did I' she whispered, feeling strangely calm.

As Pete ranted, she coolly estimated how many steps she needed to take to reach her gun on the bed. She wondered if she would have time to grab the gun and the clip, push it back in and ready the gun before he could catch her. Wisely, she decided against that plan and instead tried to calculate how many steps to the door of her bathroom. The door had a lock on it and if she could reach it, she could secure it and buy herself more time. She realised that she hadn't heard anything Pete had said for the last five minutes, so she turned her attention back to him.

Jack O'Neill was speeding quickly though the empty streets when he suddenly cursed softly and stopped at the side of the road. He felt in his pocket and realised that he'd picked up Sam's panic alarm when they'd been in the kitchen. He contemplated whether to return it to her tomorrow, but decided that he'd better give it her now. With an impatient grimace he spun the car and headed back towards her house. He turned the corner and immediately recognised Pete's car outside Sam's house. Formulating an instant plan he raised his window, drove smoothly past and parked up on the next street. He pulled his black hat back on and reaching under his seat he pulled out his Berretta, checked the clip and tucked it in the back of his pants. He slipped out of the car and headed across the adjoining yard until he reached the brick wall of Sam's house. He slid along the wall towards the nearest window and ducking, quickly glanced into the room. It was the kitchen. The light was on and he could see a cup on the work surface and a fresh pot of coffee warming. The room was empty, so he moved on towards what he estimated to be Sam's bedroom. He repeated the same actions and peered into her room using a tiny periscope. He quickly took in the situation. Pete Shanahan was stood in the middle of the room with his back to the open window. He could see Sam's gun on the bed and Sam stood over by the door. She looked pale but calm and he could see Pete's arms waving in agitation.

`You knew I had a tough upbringing' he was saying, 'well it leaves it's mark! I was a wild kid and I mixed with wild people, and that includes girls'.

Jack snorted softly in derision.

`Here comes the sob story' he thought.

`I wasn't taught to treat women properly and I guess that's why my wife left me.'

`You said it was the job that broke up your marriage' said Sam calmly.

`Good girl, keep him talking' thought Jack.

`I've changed now though'.

`It didn't look like it on that video, Pete. Where did you meet her?'

`In a bar'.

`I was brought up to believe in loyalty and trust and I could never trust you again' said Sam.

Pete suddenly stopped talking and Jack heard a scuffle. He quickly bobbed his head up and saw Sam diving for the bathroom door. Pete made a grab for her and caught firm hold of the sweatshirt, dragging her down onto the floor before she could reach her refuge. He was rough and Jack heard her thud as she hit her head. Reaching for his gun, he drew it, pulled open the bedroom window and jumped athletically into the room. He rolled immediately and rose to his feet with his gun pointing steadily at Pete's head.

`Let go of her, Shanahan' he growled.

Pete did as he was told and stood up straight, his hands laced behind his head.

`Sir' gasped Sam, rubbing her head.

`You ok, Carter?' snapped Jack, his eyes never leaving Pete.

`I'll be fine in a moment, sir. Just dazed' said Sam succinctly.

Jack waved his gun at Pete.

`Over by the wall, and don't do anything stupid' he said.

`Carter, contact the base and let them know of the situation' ordered Jack.

`Yes, sir' said Sam, struggling to her feet.

She staggered slightly as she walked from the room, but Jack heard the conversation as she informed General George Hammond of everything that had happened that night.

`I didn't mean to hurt Sam' said Pete over his shoulder.

`Of course you didn't' snarled Jack, `Now I suggest you shut up and we`ll wait until the authorities deal with you. Revealing state secrets is a capital offence.'

`Revealing them to the enemy is. But I didn't. These guys work for the same government you and I do, and you know they have a point. You're playing God and the public has a right to know.'

`Where have I heard that before?' said Jack sarcastically.

They stood silently in the same positions until Jack heard a vehicle draw up outside and Sam open the door. A couple of burly security guards entered the room and led Pete away at gun point and Jack relaxed, putting the safety on his gun and stowing it in the back of his pants.

Jack strolled out of the bedroom and found Sam sitting on the sofa, her eyes closed and her head resting on the back of the cushions.

`Do you need the Doc.?' he asked kindly.

Sam opened her eyes and shook her head, wincing as pain shot through it, `It's just a bang. There's no concussion.'

`Stay still' said Jack firmly and he headed for her bathroom. Opening the small cabinet door, he found a couple of headache pills and wetting a cloth under the cold tap, he collected a glass of water on his way back.

He found Sam reclining on the sofa and held out the pills and water to her. She took them gracefully and swallowed them quickly.

`Lie back' ordered Jack.

She obeyed and he placed the cold cloth across her hot forehead.

`That's nice' she murmured as her eyes closed.

He searched round for a warm blanket and placed it over her, watching as her breath slowed and she slept. He found another cover and stretched out on a chair, his long legs supported by a low coffee table. Satisfied that she was comfortable he cat napped until he was awakened by the smell of fresh coffee.

He glanced over to the sofa. It was empty.

`Carter?' he called out.

`Here, sir' she shouted in reply, from the kitchen.

He struggled up from his uncomfortable bed and stretched his legs, grimacing at the creaking from his joints.

When he joined her, he noticed that she'd showered and changed into jeans and a soft cream sweater.

`Feeling better?' he asked.

`Yes, thank you, sir' she said shyly.

`Good. I'll get off, then' he mumbled.

`Stay, sir. For coffee'.

He nodded acquiescence and sat down. She placed the steaming mug in front of him and he took a gulp gratefully.

`Nice!' he commented.

`Sir!' she said as she sat opposite him.

`What is it, Carter?' he asked.

`I want to thank you, for everything. And I want to apologise for my behaviour.'

`What behaviour? I don't remember anything inappropriate' he said steadily.

`In the rainstorm, sir, when I.......'

`Ah!' he interrupted.

`Sir?' she queried.

`It wasn't me' he said goofily.

`Pardon, sir?' she said mystified.

`Wasn't me. Must have been a doppelganger'.

`Doppelganger?'

`Yeah, you must have seen the film. Starred Boris Karloff, I think. A Doppelganger is like a clone. You know, and exact duplicate'

Sam frowned.

`Wasn't Boris Karloff in "the Mummy"?'

`Could have been' bluffed Jack.

Sam stopped suddenly, realising that he'd successfully turned the whole conversation around.

`What will happen to the tapes?' she asked.

`Didn't you hear. There was an accident. They got destroyed' said Jack, grinning slightly.

`Sir?' she queried, and he shrugged and put on an innocent face.

`Thank you' she whispered.

`Any time, Carter' he said softly, `Now I must go.'

Sam stood up and escorted him to the door.

`One last thing sir' she said, her cheeks flushing, `On the mountain, I kissed your doppelganger and he said that it worked for him. Did it?'

`He said that it definitely worked for him' said Jack, standing very close to her, his eyes burning into hers, `And believe me, he never lies.'

He turned and walked out he door with a slow lopsided grin and Sam closed the door behind him.

THE END.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz