Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Other Alternatives

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Other Alternatives

Other Alternatives

by PZ

Title: Other Alternatives
Author: PZ
Email: pzstories@hotmail.com
Category: AlternateUniverse
Episode related: 306 Point of View
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, minor language, sexual situations
Summary: Different times, different places makes different people.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Other Alternatives

Major Samantha Carter slammed her fist down onto the desk causing the water jug to wobble dangerously.

'We are getting nowhere', she shouted, and then after a moment's hesitation, she took a deep sigh, stood back and pursed her red painted lips.

'I'm sorry about that, sir' she muttered in frustration, 'but we have got to find an edge from somewhere if we're going to succeed. If we don't succeed, we've wasted four years, and I'm just not prepared to waste four years of my life'.

Colonel Jack O'Neill leaned back in his chair and looked at his 2IC. Sometimes she scared him. She was single minded to a point of obsession but he admired her concentration of purpose. He stretched out his long legs and rested them on the edge of the desk, crossing his booted feet and leaning even further back until he was balanced on two chair legs only. He threaded his hands together and linked them behind his head.

'What are you suggesting, Major?' he asked, his deep brown eyes meeting her wide blue ones.

'The quantum mirror', she said with a determined look in her eye, folding her arms across her chest. She started pacing the room in agitation.

'But I thought we'd decided to shelve that alternate reality thing,' he said.

'I know, sir, but I can't think of any other alternative', she said, stopping and looking at him.

'I thought that we'd discovered that most of those other reality places had diverged significantly from ours?' he asked, his voice rising in query.

'We did, sir. But if we want to defeat the Goa'uld, we've got to find out what the differential factor is', she said, pulling out a hard office chair and sitting heavily on it.

'The diffi what?'

'The thing that makes us different, other than the personal differences of course,' she said, casting him a meaningful look.

He gave her a grin, unfolded his feet and hands and standing up he walked around the desk and placing one hand on each shoulder he massaged the base of her neck with his thumbs. She closed her eyes and leaned back against his hands, groaning softly. He moved his hands down onto her shoulders and kneeded her tense muscles, then stroked his hands up and down her arms.

'Just can't imagine not having this', she muttered, and he leaned down and brushed her lips with his own. She lifted her arm and wrapped it around his neck, pulling him closer, her eyes closing in anticipation.

'We should get going, if we're gonna do this alternate thing', he whispered, his lips almost touching hers.

'Yeah!' she sighed and loosened her arm from his neck.

'Carter, you hiding in there?' shouted Colonel Jack O'Neill over the din of the power generator which filled the laboratory. He couldn't see her from the door, so he clamped his hands over his ears and walked into the room. He glanced around and noticed a slim figure laid face down on the floor, the top part of her body hidden under a heavy wooden bench. His brow creased for a moment and his breath caught in his throat in concern, but as he watched, she shimmied out from under the bench, large earmuffs on her head. He leaned over, removed one hand from over his ears and touched her on the shoulder. She jumped up abruptly, banging one hand on the edge of the bench leg.

'Sir! You scared the life out of me', she yelled, rubbing her hand.

He moved one hand sufficiently from his ear to point at the generator and with an understanding nod she pressed a switch on the floor with the toe of her boot. The silence was almost deafening after the loud mechanical noise and Major Samantha Carter pulled off her earmuffs and shook out her short blond hair.

'You wanted something, sir?' she asked with a grin.

'I won't ask what you were doing, Carter, and quite why it has to make so much noise,' he grumbled.

'Well, sir, I was trying to apply more inertial force to the.....', she said brightly, before he interrupted.

'Ah! I said I wouldn't ask...... So why are you tellin' me', he drawled, holding up his hands.

She looked down at the floor and restrained a smile, 'Sorry, sir'.

He thrust his hands in his pockets before continuing.

'Hammond wants an early debrief for P1J-312,' he said.

She raised an eyebrow.

'Any reason in particular?' she asked.

'He's gonna be off base tomorrow. Some meeting with the top brass at Andrew's', said Jack.

'When does he want the debrief?' she asked.

'How about now, Carter', he said.

'Oh, sir! I was just starting to get some good results, really good results; great results actually! Am I really needed? This mission is basically a standard meet and greet. It'll take me forever to set up this equipment again.' she begged.

Jack O'Neill thought for a moment, rubbing his chin absent-mindedly, trying not to look at her big blue, pleading eyes.

'I guess not,' he admitted slowly.

'Great. Thanks, sir', she said, favouring him with one of her million watt smiles and a flash of her eyes.

'Ok, Carter,' he said, grinning, 'but you've gotta come for a lunch meeting after and I'll fill you in on anything you've missed.'

'But, sir, I'm busy', she protested.

'No buts, Carter, or you can come to the debrief instead', he said with raised eyebrows.

'Ok, sir. 1300 hours?' she said with a sigh.

'1300,' he agreed, 'or Teal'c will come and physically carry you to the commissary'.

'What's wrong, sir. You too old to do it?' she asked cheekily.

'Seeing as Teal'c has about fifty years over me, that doesn't make any sense', he smirked.

'Yes, sir. But Teal'c has Junior', she said.

'Yeah and I've got knees. Or I'd like to have and if I carry you, I won't', he said as he easily dodged her light slap.

'See ya later, Carter', he drawled lazily as he left the room.

Samantha Carter pursed her lips as she surveyed the quantum mirror.

'Are we sure that we have the right reality?' she asked.

'Looks good to me', said Jack O'Neill.

'God. Did you see that other me when she came into that store room. What a prim little miss', she said scornfully.

'Oh I don't know. I think it's kinda sweet', said O'Neill, running his finger down the exposed cleavage of Samantha Carter, 'You're gonna have to button up, Major, and take off a little of those luscious ruby lips' He moved his finger from it's resting place just on the swell of her breast and ran it over her lips, lingering as he felt the tip of her tongue just brush against him. He leaned in towards her, ran the tip of his tongue across her lips and taking a handkerchief from his pocket, he wiped off a little of her lipstick. Her eyes were half closed and she held her face up to him as he repeated the whole operation.

`Do we have to go right now?', she said huskily, her eyes smouldering as she looked up into his.

`I thought we needed to,' he said softly.

'Humph,' she said as she pulled away from him and fastened her shirt buttons.

'You'd better muss my hair as well. She obviously goes for the 'just got outta bed look'', she said icily as O'Neill laughed and ran his hands through her carefully coiffured locks. She grabbed his wrists and pulled him towards her.

'And if I so much as catch you looking at the little virgin queen, I'll kneecap you,' she hissed, causing him to laugh again.

`As if!' he said.

`Jack, you talk as though I don't know exactly what you're like. You always did have a weakness for the wholesome look. Remember that Laira when you got stuck on that boring little planet. I worked my socks off to get you out of there, mainly because I knew that bitch had set her eyes on you and I knew that you wouldn't resist her homespun charms. How long did it take for you to get her into bed after the stargate was buried? An hour?' she said.

She grabbed his hand and together they touched the mirror.

'So, anything else to add, Dr Jackson?' said General Hammond.

'Err... No. That's about it', said Daniel shuffling his papers.

'Colonel?'

'No, sir. Just good luck with your meeting with the chief of staff', said Jack.

The general sighed and shrugged, 'These meetings seem to come round more and more frequently. Still, thank you Colonel. Have a good mission and take care'.

'Thank you, sir'.

As Jack, Daniel and Teal'c stood up to leave, the phone in General Hammond's office rang. He frowned, picked it up and answered shortly. As he listened, he gestured for SG1 to wait.

'I see. You'd better bring them here to my office', he said and replaced the phone.

Jack O'Neill raised one eyebrow in query and Teal'c tilted his head.

'I think you'd better sit down, gentlemen. Oh and Colonel, could you go and get Major Carter. I think she'd better be here too.' he said frowning.

Jack looked at his CO and decided to obey without any comment. He pushed back his chair and left the room, heading for Sam's lab.

She was stood by a bank of monitors when he walked into the room this time holding a circuit board in one hand and a tiny soldering iron in the other . She looked up at him.

'Sir! It's not 1300, is it?' she said, glancing at the large aluminium clock on the wall.

'No, Carter. I've been sent to get you. There's some kinda problem. Don't know what, but Hammond wants you. Teal'c and Daniel are already there', he said.

She immediately recognised his serious tone, so she carefully placed the circuit board onto the bench and followed him out of the room. His mind was occupied as they walked back to the debriefing room, so much so that when he opened the door, he didn't notice the additional people who occupied the room.

'Oh no! Not again!' said Sam as she looked at the other occupants.

`Hmm. Colonel!', she said, noticing the quick glance that the other Sam and Jack exchanged.

At that, he looked up and then screwed up his face as he saw another Samantha Carter and Jack O'Neill already stood in the room. He didn't say anything, he just regarded the pair with curiosity.

Samantha Carter had short hair, like Sam, although it looked kind of smarter somehow, and unlike the other Carters they had experienced from alternate realities, she was obviously also in the military. She was wearing a Major's uniform. Sam simply nudged the Colonel.

``For cryin' out loud. Not again!', said Jack, his eyes flicking up to the ceiling and then glaring at his counterpart.

`Didn't I just say that?' said Sam.

`I guess!', said Jack and then turned to face General Hammond, his eyebrow raised in query.

`Colonel, can I introduce Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter!', said Hammond.

`I kinda guessed that', said Jack dryly, `Can't think why! At least I'm not dead this time!'.

`I am guessing, Colonel,' said General Hammond to the alternative O'Neill,' that you're here because you need our help'.

`Yes', sir', he said.

`Well I suggest we all sit down and you can bring us up to speed with your situation. I don't know if you are aware, Colonel, but we've met other alternatives before,' said Hammond.

`We didn't know. We had to find someone to help us against the Goa'uld', said the other Sam.

They all sat round the large table, the two Carters and O'Neills sat on opposite sides of the table. The Carters looked at each other with large blue eyes. General Hammond glanced first at one pair and then the other. The Colonels were indistinguishable. The Majors looked similar, although there was difference that was difficult to define. Sam looked at her counterpart carefully. Her hair was beautifully and expensively cut although the style was similar to her own. Her skin was flawless and her light makeup carefully applied. Sam noticed that her nails, although short were manicured and polished to perfection. She looked at her own chipped ones and folded her hands, hiding them under the table.

`I think we need to make sure who we are all. Colonel, Major,' he said turning to the alternative Sam and Jack, would you mind if we called you Samantha and Jonathan?'

The alternative Jack winced for a moment and then obviously pulling himself together, he nodded in acceptance. Samantha opened her mouth as though to object, but she glanced at Jonathan and clamping her lips together she also nodded.

`Thank you, Major, Colonel. Now if you can appraise us of your situation. We know that you only have a limited time before problems arise. Major Carter?' he prompted Sam.

`Entropic cascade failure, sir,' said Sam immediately.

`Ah! Because of us both being in the same reality', added Samantha.

Sam nodded at her double.

`We are fortunate in that we can return home to our reality at any time,' said Samantha.

`So the Goa'uld haven't invaded Earth in your reality?' asked Sam.

`Err. No. Not yet that is!' jumped in Jonathan, `What we were hoping for was a tactical advantage.'

`To let you get a head start?' asked Jack.

`Yeah. That's right', said Jonathan.

`We have been working 24 7 to find something, before they reach Earth', said Samantha.

`What about that Tok'ra poison, Colonel?' asked Sam. She turned and addressed Jack.

`You remember, sir. The one that destroys the symbiote' she said.

`And the Tok'ra are....?' asked Jonathan.

`Originally Goa'uld, but now they don't forcibly take hosts and they are dedicated to fighting the Goa'uld.' said Sam.

`We don't have them in our reality`, said Samantha.

Daniel turned to face General Hammond.

`I could contact the Tok'ra and ask if they have any of the poison synthesised and whether they'll let us have any' said Daniel, `the fact that they don't have any Tok'ra in their reality removes the problem of the poison's indiscriminate nature'.

Hammond thought for a moment, 'Very well Dr Jackson. Major Carter, how long do we have before you have to go back to your reality?'

`We think about 48 hrs before the cascade failure kicks in' said Samantha.

`That matches what we found last time,' said Sam eagerly.

`I suggest that we show you to VIP quarters, Major, Colonel. You can stay there until we've heard from the Tok'ra', said Hammond.

Samantha and Jonathan nodded. 'Thank you, sir', said Jonathan.

`I'll show you to your quarters', said Sam as she stood up, holding the door open for Samantha and Jonathan. General Hammond watched the three of them walk out the door and then turned to Jack.

`I know I've said this before, Colonel, but I don't like this one little bit. Those two could be you and Major Carter. At least, last time there were obvious physical differences. This time they could take your place and nobody would ever know, and that makes me very uneasy Colonel,' said Hammond.

`I understand what you're saying, sir. It kinda freaks me out too, although I think that the Majors are not so alike', said Jack thoughtfully.

`I would feel much better if we arranged something so that you are always distinguishable. Both of you,' said Hammond.

Jack looked around the room for a moment until he turned back to face the General with a frown on his face.

`I don't know if this sounds crazy,' he said slowly,' but I think it had better be something you think of. If I think of it then the other me might think of it as well'.

The General looked thoughtful and then twisted a simple gold ring that he wore on his littlest finger. He pulled until it slid off and he held it out to Jack.

`My wife gave me this when we got engaged. I would recognise it anywhere. I want you to wear it, son.'

Jack carefully took the ring and slipped it onto his third finger where it fitted snugly. He looked at it solemnly and then glanced back to the general.

`I'll take care of it, sir. What about Major Carter?' he said.

Hammond picked up a piece of paper from his desk and taking his pen he wrote a short sentence across it and then folded it carefully four times and gave it to Jack.

`Ask Major Carter to memorise this and then burn the paper', he said,' oh and Jack, don't look at it. Only Major Carter should know'.

Jack pushed the folded note into his pocket and nodding at the General, he headed for the door and then Sam's lab.

Samantha closed the door of her room and leaned her back against it with a sigh of relaxation. She reached out her hand and grabbed hold of the front of her CO's jacket and pulled him towards her. When his face was only a couple of inches from hers she whispered to him.

`Come here, flyboy. This prissy reality is going to drive me bananas. Let's just get what we want and get out of here'.

He leaned even closer and snaked his arm around her waist, crushing her against him. She moaned as he nuzzled her neck.

`Come on. Let's get friendly, Major Samantha,' he murmured against her hair.

She playfully swiped at him.

`There's no time for that. We need to get that poison and ship out of here', she said and pushed him away.

He thrust his hands into his pockets and glared at her for a moment and then shrugged and turned back to the door. He gave her a quick grin and left the room. Turning towards his room, he stopped as his hands circled the smooth metal of the door knob. He hesitated and then letting go again, he turned on his heel and headed back to the elevator.

Sam looked up from her microscope as Jack O'Neill stuck his head around the door.

`Hey, Carter,' he said,' you ok?'

`Sure, sir. Are you?' she asked.

`I guess,' he said with a grin as he walked across the room towards her.

He walked up behind her until he was so close that she could feel his body heat and then he slowly slid one strong arm around her waist and pulled her backwards towards him.

`Colonel O'Neill!', she exclaimed, puzzled, 'What are you doing, sir? Can I do something for you?'

`Yeah. I think you can, Carter' he said in a low voice, 'every time we see one of these damned alternate reality things, we're together. Don't you sometimes think we're fighting the inevitable?'

`Sir?' she stuttered.

`Don't you sometime think Screw the regs, Carter?' he said, his mouth almost on her ear.

Her face was flushed pink and she squirmed as his warm breath tickled her cheek.

`I don't know what to say, sir?' she said breathlessly, a tone of panic in her voice.

He found her reticence appealing. He wrapped one arm round her slim hips, one draped across her shoulders and he turned her round to face him.

`Now ain't that a pretty site,' he said looking at her flushed cheeks, and he slowly ran his hands up her arms and then languorously brushed her cheeks with his finger tips.

`But, sir!', she said softly, her stomach clenching in knots as he touched her.

`No buts, Major. You do want me don't you?' he whispered.

`Not here. Not like this.' she said slowly in an unconscious repetition of something he'd said to her many years before. She shyly took his hands in hers and turning his hands over palm up, she softly planted a sweet kiss on each of them, then she stepped back and ran her own hands through her short choppy hair, her breath coming in short gasps.

`Let's meet later then,' he suggested.

`Yes, sir. I think we need to think and talk,' she said gazing at and almost falling into his liquid brown eyes.

`Ok, Carter. 2200 hrs tonight, your room', he said, and turning leisurely on his heel he headed out of the lab, flinging her a quick grin before he closed the door behind him. Outside the lab, he took a piece of folded paper from his pocket and stopping a young airman in the corridor, asked him to deliver it to Major Carter's room. He followed the young soldier as he headed for Sam's room. When he saw the man knock on a door, he smiled to himself and headed back to his own room.

Sam sat down heavily on her stool, her mind wheeling with a mixture of emotions. They'd always had a close relationship, even more than close at certain times, but she'd got used to the kind of settled companionship that they had silently agreed to uphold. Although they flirted, it was always in a jokey, friendly way. He had never stepped over that line that changed their relationship until now. She wondered what had triggered the change. Her mind flicked back to the last time that they had dabbled with an alternate reality. The other her had been married to the other him. He'd been unsettled by the whole scenario and she remembered how he'd stopped her in the corridor outside Dr Carter's room and how he'd asked her awkwardly whether she had any problem with the `twin thing'. If she'd not been so wrapped up in her own curiosity and acceptance of the situation she would have realised that he was telling her that he had problems with it, but she hadn't picked up on it. What she did remember however was her acute discomfort as she'd watch him kiss the other her through the mirror. He'd done it so softly and tenderly, she hadn't wanted to watch, but she couldn't tear her eyes away. Perhaps this new alternate reality had triggered those feeling again.

She was still deep in thought when Jack stuck his head round the door and seeing her there, entered the room.

`Hey, Carter! Anybody there?' he said, knocking on the bench with his knuckles.

She looked up with a start and met his eyes shyly. He raised his eyebrow questioningly and she blushed again. He exchanged his expression to a questioning one as he tilted his head onto one side.

`Everything ok, Carter?' he asked, wondering why she'd blushed.

`Yes, sir. Of course', she said.

He shrugged and then dug into his pocket and pulled out the piece of paper that General Hammond had given him earlier and held it out to her.

`Hammond is concerned that he has to be sure who's who between us and the other us! He wants you to memorise this and then burn the paper. That way he'll always know that you're you!' he said.

`Have you done the same, sir?' she asked.

`Nah. He knows I might forget what ever it is anyway, so he's given me something that he can always recognise', he said.

She quickly unfolded the paper and read it. Jack watched as a huge grin split her face, then she carefully refolded the paper and lighting a Bunsen burner, she held the note over the flame with a pair of metal tongues until there was only a small pile of dark ashes on the bench. When she had swept the ashes into a metal bin, she turned back to face Jack shyly, waiting expectantly for him to say something again to her. She took a small step towards him.

`You want something, Carter?' he asked, startled.

`I wondered why you'd come back, sir', she said quietly.

`Come back?' he said confused.

`I`ve been thinking about what you said about the regulations, sir,' said Sam, `maybe it's this alternate reality thing that's made you think like that. It does kind of make you reassess everything.'

`It does?', said Jack, now totally confused.

`Like you said, I guess that you'd prefer to talk about this later, sir?' she said.

`I would?' said Jack.

`You still want to talk, sir, don't you,' she said hesitantly, seeing the confused look on his face.

`Err... What ever you like, Major. I mean of course I do,' he said.

Sam looked relieved.

`Well, I'll see you at 2200 hours, sir', she said, blushing.

`2200 hours, Major', he said, nodded towards her and left the room. Outside in the corridor, Jack leant against the wall, a frown on his face, his mind trying to understand what had happened in that room with his 2IC. He'd noticed Sam's blush and her hesitancy in speaking. He ran over the confusing conversation he'd had with her, felt a warning contraction in his gut and decided that the situation needed attention. She'd said something about seeing him at 2200 hours, so he decided to return a little before that time and find out exactly what was going on.

When Jonathan returned to his room, Samantha was waiting for him. She was laid languidly across his bed, reading a book from the small selection on the bedside cabinet. As he walked through the door, she rolled onto her side, supporting her head on one hand and frowned at him.

`And where the hell do you think you've been,' she said, her voice dripping acid.

Jonathan grinned and walked lazily over to her.

`Surely my lovely Major isn't jealous?' he said with a pout.

`Why should I be jealous, Colonel, is there a reason?' she said sharply.

`No reason at all. I just went for a little look round, see if I could find anything we could use,' he said,

`And did you?'

`Did I what?'

`Find anything?' asked Samantha.

`Maybe,' he said cryptically.

Samantha squinted at him and rolled to a sitting position. Her long legs were crossed as she sat on the edge of the bed, leaning back on one long elegant arm. She flicked her nails and reaching into the breast pocket of her shirt, she pulled out a pack of cigarettes. Extracting one, she rolled it sensuously in her fingers before taking it seductively in her freshly painted red lips. Jonathan laughed as he watched her and she grinned back at him.

`You really do know what you're doing, don't you?' he said as he strolled over to the bed.

`Just remember that, Colonel. You might think that little miss innocent is oh so attractive, but you'd soon get bored with her. I know exactly what you like and she can't give it you,' she said and unfastened the buttons on her shirt slowly, letting it slip off her creamy shoulders. She kept her eyes fastened on Jonathan as she stretched like a cat. She was wearing a transparent, delicate black lace bra and there was the faintest shimmer of pale gold body paint leading his eyes down to the soft curve between her breasts. As she leaned backwards the strap of her bra slid down from her shoulder.

Jonathan grinned as he walked over to her and slowly pulled the cigarette from her lips.

`You can't smoke that in here. We have to keep up appearances. And we have to sleep alone tonight!' he said wryly then leant over and kissed her on the lips.

Samantha grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled him down towards her and towards the bed.

He checked his watch as he left Samantha's room. It was 21:45. Perfect timing for his rendezvous with Sam. He looked quickly around and headed for her room.

Sam sighed as she packed up her equipment. She cast one last look round the laboratory as she turned out the lights and locked the door behind her. Her stomach was tied in knots and she felt strangely unsure of her actions. She was so preoccupied that she didn't notice the dark figure following her silently as he moved from shadow to shadow along the edges of the corridor. Jack O'Neill was wearing all black and he melted into the dark doorways and corners. He heard Sam sigh heavily as she thought about the visit she had received earlier. He was still unclear as to what exactly was happening here, but some suspicions were forming in his mind. What he needed was confirmation, and with luck he was about to get it.

Sam headed directly to her room, opened her door and shut it behind her. Jack slid behind a half open store room door, his dark eye glittering as it was pressed to the crack in the door. About 10 minutes after Sam had entered her room, he saw another figure walk down the corridor. It was the other O'Neill. As he watched, Jonathan stopped at Sam's door. He ran his hands through his hair and pulled his shirt straight, then knocked sharply on the door. He saw Sam open the door. Her face was flushed as she spoke.

`Hello, sir. You're early', she said, standing to one side.

`Hey, Carter. Sorry `bout that. Just couldn't wait for us to have that little talk. It's all I've been able to think about', he said.

`It is, sir?' she said as she stepped backwards into the room.

`Sure it is, Carter. I'm confused about the whole thing', he said giving her a goofy look.

Jack saw Jonathan give a grin as he walked into Sam's room and pushed the door closed behind him.

He wondered what to do. It looked like the other O'Neill was pretending to be him but he couldn`t think why he would. He mulled over the possibility that Sam knew that the guy was the Alternate O'Neill. He dismissed the thought. He guessed that he was doing it to get close to Sam, but he didn't understand why. Didn't the guy have his own Carter. Wasn't one enough? He realised that his Sam could be hurt if he didn't do something, so he emerged from his hiding space and walked over to her door.

Sam felt nervous as he entered the room and closed the door behind him.

`Do you think that's wise, sir?' she said cautiously, looking at the closed door.

He looked slightly bemused and then realised that a closed door could be misconstrued.

`I think we need to talk in private. Don't you, Sam?' he said in a deliberately soft voice.

He'd been looking forward to this little interaction all evening, even when he was with Samantha. She was right of course, she knew exactly what he liked, but the thought of this new, softer and more innocent Sam excited him. He'd suspected that she had feelings for her O'Neill, but that they'd almost certainly never acted on those feelings, and by the way this was going he guessed that he was right in his suspicions.

He sat down on the edge of the bed patted the cover next to him.

`Come sit here, Sam. This talk is long overdue', he said.

Sam hesitated, so he flashed a look with his liquid eyes and she came and sat next to him. He didn't touch her, just looked straight into her eyes.

`Sam,' he said, so quietly, she almost didn't hear him.

`Sir?' she said shyly.

`Jack. Call me Jack, Sam', he said.

`Yes, Jack', she said and looked down at her hands which were clasped demurely on her lap.

He put his finger under her chin and gently pulled her face up towards his. He leaned forwards and just before his lips touched hers he murmured, `Sweet. Real sweet', and then he kissed her exactly at the same moment as Jack O'Neill silently pushed open the door.

Jack stood in the open door, taking in the scene in front of him. He watched as Jonathan deftly pulled Sam's tee shirt out of her pants and she arched her back against his hands. He coughed and in a low, serious voice he spoke, `Carter, what the hell's going on?'

Sam leapt up from her position on the bed, her eyes wide as she looked back and forward from one O'Neill to the other. She clasped her hand over her mouth and shook her head in disbelief.

`Oh my God,' she stuttered, stumbling backwards until her back was pressed against the wall.

Jonathan stood up and held out his hand towards her.

`Sam, don't believe him. Don't you know it's me', he said.

She looked from one to the other and shook her head again. Jack realised that she was in some kind of mental shock.

`Carter, stay away from him', he said, his Berretta drawn and pointing at Jonathan, `Phone Hammond. He'll give you the identifier that will tell you who is who. In the meanwhile me and the Colonel here will just sit nice and cosy on the bed'.

Sam hesitated for only a moment and then picked up the phone and dialled General Hammond's emergency number.

`Sir, it's Major Carter. I have a situation here and I need you to tell me how to identify Colonel O'Neill', she said quietly.

She listened for a moment and then with her hand shielding the mouthpiece, she muttered, `Purple, sir'.

She listened again and then nodding to herself, she s