Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Emotional Blackmail

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Emotional Blackmail

Emotional Blackmail

by pz

Summary: Kinsey decides to blackmail Sam, so Jack has to rurn the tables.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/01/03

Emotional Blackmail

Sequel to `Old Friends', although you could read as a stand alone I guess.

Another antique effort dredged up from my hard drive! Enjoy!

General George Hammond sent for Major Samantha Carter. She tapped lightly on his door and after sweeping one hand through her short blond hair, she pushed open the door and entered the General's office. The General looked up as she entered, a slightly quizzical, serious look on his face.

`Major Carter, sit down please.'

The General picked up a single sheet of A4 paper from his desk, glanced at it and then pushed it across the desk towards her.

`Thank you for coming. I have a communication for you that I have to say puzzles me exceedingly'.

Sam shrugged and looked at him expectantly.

`Sir?'

The General sat back in his large, buttoned leather chair, his hands clasped in front of him.

`I'm not quite sure where to begin, Major'.

Sam looked puzzled.

`I'm not sure that I understand, sir'.

`I wish I did, Sam. Anyway I have a message for you that seems to originate in Washington somewhere. Senator Kinsey wishes to see you'.

`Me, sir?'

`Yes, Major. I have tried all my contacts, but I can't find out what this is all about. I was hoping that you could enlighten me?.

Sam looked thoughtful for a moment as a number of possibilities passed through her mind. Her father, General Jacob Carter was a far more likely target for Senator Kinsey than she was.

`I'm sorry, sir. I can't think why he would want to see me. Are you sure it's me and not my father that Senator Kinsey wants?'.

`The message is very precise. It is addressed to Major Samantha Carter.'

General Hammond hesitated for a while before he continued.

`Major Carter, be very careful. I don't like to say this about a member of the United States government, but I don't trust Kinsey. I don't trust him at all'.

Sam was touched by the General's concern but she was completely unable to think of anything that Kinsey could want her for.

`I'll be fine, sir'

`A car will call for you at 1900 hours, this evening. Please come and debrief me when you get back. I'm curious about what Kinsey wants... and Major, it doesn't matter what time it is. I'll remain on base until you've debriefed me'.

Sam smiled at the General as she stood up to leave.

`Yes, sir'.

Sam headed back to her room. She was puzzled as to why Senator Kinsey would want to see her. She quickly ran through her recent missions and but she could think of nothing that might be of particular interest to Kinsey, although she knew that he was always looking for an advantage that he could play to help him further his ambitions. Over the years Kinsey had tried, initially to close the Stargate program and then to exploit some of the discoveries that had resulted. His involvement with the shadowy NID had on occasion made things very difficult at the SGC. Sam's mind was working overtime.

`I'm sure I'll find out what Kinsey wants soon enough` she thought.

Colonel Jack O'Neill burst into General Hammond's office after only the most cursory of knocks.

`Colonel!' said Hammond patiently .

`Sorry, sir,' said Jack calming down a little, 'I need to see you'.

The General looked up at him in exasperation. If Jack O'Neill wanted something, protocol did not stand in his way. Having said that, General Hammond had absolute faith in his second in command and totally trusted his judgement. It just needed tempering sometimes with a little patience and diplomacy. He vaguely waved his hand towards a chair.

`Sit, Colonel. Just one minute'.

The General finished writing and put down his pen. It did not take more than a couple of minutes, but Colonel O'Neill fidgeted and tutted whilst he waited. The General sighed.

`What is it, Colonel?' he asked.

Jack did not hesitate to come straight to the point.

`What's Kinsey want Carter for?' asked Jack, his voice tight and controlled

`I honestly don't know, Colonel'.

`And you're letting her go?'

The General raised an eyebrow, but he was only too well aware of the special bond that existed between all the members of SG1. He would have told any other officer to mind his or her own business.

`I have no valid reason to stop her' said Hammond.

Jack stood up and started pacing the room. He was cracking his knuckles in an agitated manner.

`But sir, I don't like it. Kinsey is always trouble. Can't we use the security angle?' asked Jack.

`It's out of my hands, Colonel. Major Carter knows the situation with the Senator. It's up to her' said Hammond.

Jack O'Neill frowned as he stopped pacing the room. He leaned forward with his hands resting on the General's desk and just looked at him.

General Hammond sighed expressively, `Look, Jack. I understand your concern, but there really is nothing I can do. Major Carter has not asked for an escort and I'm certainly not going to forbid her to go'.

`I'm still not happy' muttered Jack.

`I've noted your concern, Colonel' said Hammond.

Jack took the dismissal and straightened up with a sigh.

`Thank you, sir'.

He nodded to the General and turning on his heel he left his office and headed straight back to his room. He was determined to stay on base tonight until he'd found out exactly what Kinsey wanted with Carter.

Samantha Carter dressed in plenty of time. She had decided to wear dress blues plus a dark blue overcoat. She felt it advisable to keep relations with Senator Kinsey as formal as possible. As she climbed into the back of the long, black, official limousine, she consciously tugged her skirt down over her knees. As the car travelled through the dark evening, rain lashed against the windscreen. Sam made an attempt to talk to the driver but he remained completely uncommunicative, so she eventually gave up and sat in silence for the duration of the journey. They eventually pulled up at the door of Senator Kinsey's mock southern mansion house. Sam climbed out of the car as the ornate double doors of the house were opened by a flunkey who then showed Samantha into an opulent library. A fire blazed in the large white marble fireplace and the lights were low. Old leather bound volumes filled the shelves from ceiling to floor, but Sam doubted that any of the books were ever opened and read. An old mahogany Victorian desk stood in front of the large bay window and Senator Kinsey sat behind the desk in a large red leather studded swivel chair. As she walked across the room, Senator Kinsey looked up and motioned for Sam to sit down at the other side of the desk. He sat back in his chair and looked at her.

`Ah, the lovely Major Carter. Please take a seat' he said, grinning.

`Thank You, Senator' said Sam, formally.

Kinsey stood up as Sam sat down. He walked over to a large globe in the corner of the room. He pressed a concealed switch and the globe split and opened to reveal a row of shining crystal and bottles. He turned and bowed his head towards Sam.

`Can I get you a drink, Major? Oh and can I call you Sam? We don't need to stand on formalities, do we?'

Sam looked at him warily.

`Please, sir, call me Sam, and no drink thank you'.

`Well, Sam. How's things going at SGC these days?'

`Fine, sir' said Sam warily.

Kinsey ambled back to his desk, talking as he walked.

`And the SG1 team. Working well?' asked Kinsey

`Yes, sir'.

`Even after Dr Jackson's unfortunate demise? I have not had time until now to express my sorrow at the news.'.

`Thank you, sir'.

`You have a new team member, I believe?' said Kinsey, sipping at his drink, `I forget his name although I have read my briefing of course`.

`Don Minsky, sir' said Sam.

`Oh yes, is he settling in well?'

`Fine, sir'.

Kinsey resumed his seat and smiled at Sam.

`Sam, I can see that you are not in the mood for small talk today, so let's get straight to the point' said Kinsey suddenly.

`Sir?' frowned Sam, her senses heightened.

Kinsey smiled, `It's like this Major Carter'.

Sam immediately picked up on the fact that Kinsey had resumed using her formal title and she knew that he was about to raise the odds. She shifted on her seat.

`I want you to do a few small favours for me'.

Sam was puzzled.

`I'm sorry sir, what do you mean?'

`Well, Major, I'd like you to file a personal report to me after every mission. Forget all that jargon and official clap-trap. I want to know what you found and how it could be useful to me' said Kinsey without varying his tone of voice.

Sam was amazed at the Senator's nerve, so she dropped the pretence of civility.

`Why should I?' she snapped.

`Sam, patience. I haven't finished yet. I want any Goua'uld artefacts that you find to come to my personal laboratory for full examination before it's turned over to the official labs. Oh, and while you're at it I would like some Naquadaah too'.

Sam was now completely astonished and she stared at him open mouthed. She shook her head and almost sniggered.

`I don't think so, Senator!'.

Kinsey looked at her steadily and took a sip of his drink.

`Oh, but I do, Sam. You see I have these' he said with a sneer.

He tossed a pack of photographs onto the desk. They were all taken the last time that Colonel Jack O'Neill had been at her house. She picked up the first one and studied it with a frown. It showed Sam stood in front of a mirror wearing her black party dress. Jack appeared to have his arms around her. Another showed Sam wearing only a towel. She had Jack by the hand and she was dragging him up the stairs. She had a wide grin on her lips. The last photograph that Sam picked up showed Jack unzipping Sam's dress.

Sam felt sick and her head whirled. She knew that they had not broken regulations, but the photographs could be twisted to tell a different story. She wondered quickly how they had been taken, but she knew that it wouldn't matter; there were a number of people who would love to misconstrue the relationship between Colonel Jack O'Neill and his second in command.

Kinsey had a smirk on his face as he tossed two audio cassettes across the desk.

`Oh and we have these too. Would you like to hear them, Sam?'.

Sam tilted her head to one side as she answered him.

` I'd love to, Senator. There can't be anything improper on tape. As you damn well know, the pictures have all been taken completely out of context'.

Kinsey opened a drawer and pulled out a neat, black cassette player. He pressed the button that opened the player, he inserted the cassette and pressed `PLAY'.

`Let's listen, shall we. Oh, of course we did do a little editing. The marvels of modern technology. I'm really pleased with the result. I play it in the car and it gives me a little warm feeling deep in side somewhere' said Kinsey.

After a couple of crackles, Sam recognised her CO's voice followed by her own.

Jack `I'm used to taking women up to the bedroom'.

Sam `Jack! As much as I'd like to fulfil your fantasies, shall I dress up for you?'

Jack `I don't think a towel counts. Do you want me?'

Sam `Ok'.

Jack `It's a good job I'm a trustworthy kind of guy'.

Sam `Unzip this dress for me'

Sam leaned over and slammed her hand onto the `STOP' button on the cassette player.

`You'll never get away with this, Kinsey. All of this has been taken out of context.'

`Oh, I don't know. It's a long way from the finished article yet. A little more work and it'll sound good enough. You see when you make as many enemies as Colonel O'Neill has over his outspoken career, you don't have to be all that convincing' said Kinsey calmly.

Sam just looked at Kinsey and considered her options.

`You do see, don't you Sam? This does give you a little problem, and I think that you know what that is, don't you Sam?'

Sam kept silent.

`I know it's heartless, but our Lords and Masters don't approve of this sort of thing. They would not look at all kindly on Colonel O'Neill fraternising with his younger second in command. Oh, dear, no! And of course it would mean Colonel O'Neill carrying all the disapproval. Senior male officer and a junior female officer. Oh dear, what a bad boy Jack has been' sniggered Kinsey smiling evily.

Sam replied indignantly, `Colonel O'Neill has never gone against regulations in this matter, and you know it'.

Kinsey stood up, walked around the desk and rested his hands on Sam's shoulders. Sam felt herself retract from his touch. Kinsey leaned down and spoke softly in her ear.

`Who could blame him, Sam? I wouldn't, but unfortunately it's not up to me.'

Sam felt his eyes on her and she shivered, but stayed calm and still as he absent-mindedly massaged her shoulders.

`There is something about women in uniform. Especially young, beautiful women like you, Sam' said Kinsey, his voice low, his mouth close to her ear.

Kinsey ran his fingers around her neck and she shuddered.

`Especially you Major. I'm sure that you're only too aware of exactly how good you look in combats'.

Sam stood up quickly and moved away from Kinsey. She looked at him warily as she stood by the fireplace.

`Is there anything else, Senator?' she said coldly.

Kinsey smiled slowly and he walked across the room towards her.

`Oh, I think we understand each other. Just one little thing worth running over. The mandatory minimum sentence for this little misdemeanour is dishonourable discharge. No pension. No medals. No nothing. Twenty years of your life straight down the pan. Shame for someone the fine and distinguished record of Colonel O`Neill. And all for a bit of fun! If they want to make an example of course they can always resort to a custodial sentence.'

Sam turned away and peered into the flickering flames. Her face was impassive but her mind was in turmoil. She knew that he was right, and although they had not done anything wrong, Jack O'Neill had enough enemies in high places who would leap at the chance to discredit him. She was also annoyed at herself. She felt that she had created the opportunity for this to happen. She and Jack had developed an easy familiar relationship that allowed them a closeness not usual amongst military colleagues.

`You've said enough' snapped Sam.

`Imagine explaining to the ex wife just exactly why you can't maintain the alimony payments to her anymore. Soo embarrassing' said Kinsey.

`I said you've said enough' growled Sam.

`Shame. I was just enjoying myself'.

Kinsey ran his hand up her arm, but Sam walked out of reach of him and pulled her coat tightly around her.

`I get the message, Major. I suppose that this has all been a bit of a shock to you. I hope that when you've thought about it all you might be inclined to be a little more sociable on your next visit'.

Kinsey picked up his phone and ordered the car. As Sam turned to leave , Kinsey grabbed her wrist.

`Oh and Samantha, I have a contact in SGC. The new orderly in the Infirmary, McClain. Anything you give to him will come straight to me. Now I know that you have a mission tomorrow so let's see what comes out of that. I just know that I'm going to enjoy our little arrangement'.

Kinsey handed her an index print of the photographs and a copy of the tape. As his hand touched hers he lingered.

`Here, my dear. You can remind yourself why you're working for me, in case you get a little forgetful. Don't worry though, I'm sure Jack could get a job as a night porter. Oh, unless he's inside of course'.

Sam remained silent as she left the Senator's residence. Once in the car she rested her throbbing head against the cool glass of the window. She stared at the lights passing by in the dark night until she felt dizzy. She was taking small breaths to help ease the crushing pain that she felt inside. Eventually they arrived back at the base. As she entered through the gates, she was glad that it was very late. The corridor lights were dim and no one was about. She didn't want to meet anyone as she headed straight for her room. Once there she looked at herself in the mirror. Her face was pale and dark rings were already forming under her eyes. She splashed water on her faced and brushed herself down. She applied a little blusher to her cheeks and concealer under her eyes to disguise how she was feeling. She slipped out of her room and after noticing that no one was about she headed towards General Hammond's office. As she passed a store room, a shadowy figure detached itself from the black doorway and padded after her with silent footsteps. Colonel Jack O'Neill was using all his special ops training. He scrutinized her with a watchful expression. He had worked with her for enough years to recognise her attempt to cover up her pale face. He also noted her hunched posture and the fact that she was pulling her uniform jacket about her unconsciously. He followed her all the way to the General's office and as she tapped on the door and entered, he slipped away.

General Hammond looked up and smiled at Sam `Major Carter. Thanks for coming to see me'.

`Sorry it's so late, sir' said Sam quietly.

The General sat back in his chair and looked at her.

`Well, Major. What did our friend Senator Kinsey want?' said General Hammond.

Sam shrugged her shoulders.

`Well, nothing much, sir' said Sam.

General Hammond frowned, `I find that hard to believe, Major'.

Sam answered cautiously, `He just wanted general information about SG1, sir. Missions, artefacts and that kind of stuff. Oh and a bit of information about Captain Minsky'.

`Doesn't sound much. There must have been more than that?' probed General Hammond.

`I think that he was just fishing sir. Looking for weak spots. Anything that he could use basically. That's all, sir'.

`Are you sure, Major?' queried Hammond.

`Sure, sir'.

`Well, if you say so, Sam. I suggest that you turn in. SG1 have a mission scheduled for tomorrow. Pre-briefing at 1200 hours. Only routine stuff I know, but still....'.

`Thank you, sir'.

General Hammond looked thoughtful as Sam Carter left his office. He didn't believe for one moment that Kinsey was only after such generalised information. He couldn't think why she would cover up but it worried him.

Next morning Jack O'Neill met Teal'c and Captain Don Minsky in the canteen for breakfast. There was no sign of Major Carter although she usually ensured that she ate before going out on a mission.

`Teal'c, Minsky. Mornin'.'

`Morning, sir' said Minsky.

`Good morning O'Neill!' said Teal`c with a tilt of his head.

`Listen you guys. I need to have a pre pre-brief in my room in say 30 minutes' said Jack, his voice low as he leant across the table confidentially.

Teal'c raised an eyebrow and looked quizzically at the Colonel.

`Shall I inform Samantha Carter?' asked Teal'c.

`No. Let's make it just us'.

`Sir?' asked Minsky looking puzzled.

`I'll explain later. Just keep quiet' said Jack.

They all ate breakfast in silence, but still no Sam appeared. Thirty minutes later they were all stood in Jack's small, utilitarian room. Jack looked from one to the other and shuffled his feet.

`Look. This is a bit awkward'.

`It is?' asked Teal`c with frown.

`Yeah. Look I think there's trouble brewing'.

`What kind of trouble, sir?' asked Minsky

`Kinsey kind' said Jack seriously.

`Senator Kinsey?' asked Teal'c.

`Who else!' muttered Jack.

`Senator Kinsey? Head of the reparation's committee?' asked Minsky.

`Yeah! And a long time friend of the Stargate program, NOT' said Jack.

`Why not, sir?' asked Minsky

`He thinks that it should return more for the money. The SGC makes NASA look like coupon day. We've had a couple of close shaves with the Senator in the past. Oh and did I forget to say that the guy's a jerk' said Jack.

`I do not understand, O'Neill. What has Senator Kinsey got to do with Major Carter?' asked Teal'c.

Jack turned to the Jaffa and patted him on one of his massive arms.

`Teal'c, you are getting more astute every day. Well it seems that the Senator sent for Carter last night. They had a little cosy chat and she came back to base. Just like that'.

Minsky frowned in non understanding.

`Just like what, Colonel' he said.

`Just like that, Minsky. She went to see General Hammond afterwards, but he didn't believe a word of the lame story that Sam fed him. He briefed me this morning' said Jack, pacing in the confined space of his room.

`Why would Samantha Carter lie, O'Neill?' asked Teal'c.

`Straight to the point again, Teal'c. Why? What ever Kinsey's got on her it won't be nice' said Jack.

`What do you want us to do, sir?' said Minsky succinctly.

`Y'know, Minsky. I'm really getting to like you' said Jack with a grin.

`Thank you , sir'.

`We need to keep an eye on Carter. She's part of this team and we wouldn't function without her. Keep your eye and ears open. Minsky, you're supposed to be good at this empathy thing. We need to look at patterns of behaviour. We have a completely routine mission today so let's see how it goes'

`Is that all, sir?'

`Not quite, Minsky. You a computer nerd?'

`Not really, sir'.

`I need to leave a message on the internet. On a certain chat room. You manage that, Minsky?'

`I think so, sir'.

`Good. See you at the pre-brief, Teal'c'.

Sam Carter had not slept at all. She looked in the mirror at the dark smudges under her eyes. She couldn't eat at breakfast so she just took a hot shower and changed into her combat uniform. She sat on the end of the neatly made bed and rested her aching head in her hands. She felt completely alone in this and at the moment she was unable to think of any way out of the situation that she was in.

Jack O'Neill sat at the PC and typed painfully - A message for an old friend from a long distance star gazer. Phone Jack in +24. Same number. Same place. Major difficulties'.

Don Minsky watched with a puzzled expression.

`That's not very hard to work out, sir. I guess that you want someone to contact you about Major Carter?' said Minsky.

`Yeah. It doesn't matter. The right person will either ring or not. We'll see. I need to call in some favours'.

`Who is it, sir?'

`You'll find out if he rings. Now shut this damn thing down'.

At the pre-brief, General Hammond handed out the usual files to Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Minsky.

`Ok, SG1. This is basic, standard stuff. The MALP shows no habitation, just a few ruins. No particular mineral sources or signs of Goa'uld activity. Let's get in and out of there quick and tick it off the list'.

`You heard the General, kids. Let's move it' said Jack.

Sam remained completely silent as they headed down to the gate room and waited at the side for the dialling sequence to complete. Jack ambled over to her and leaned towards her as he adjusted his P90.

`You're quiet, Carter. Is everything ok?'

`Yes, sir. Just a bit tired, sir'.

`You want to come on this mission, Major? It's only routine'.

`Yes, sir'.

Jack shrugged, `Let's go then'.

They ascended the ramp and vanished in turn as they entered the event horizon. At the other side, the prospect was unexciting . A few very old stone ruins surrounded the gate. The only vegetation was a few small straggly bushes. They looked poorly fed and spindly. The sun struggled to give a dim red glow which made it look like evening even though it was in fact midday. Jack looked around.

`Nice place! I can see why the locals left. OK, people. Pair up. Teal'c with me. Carter and Minsky go look at those ruins over there'.

They divided up and headed off. As soon as they were out of earshot, Jack turned to the big Jaffa.

`Carter's not very communicative, Teal'c. Whad ya think?'

`I concur, O'Neill. Major Carter appears to be pre-occupied '

`Not like her! She's normally very focussed'.

`Indeed'.

`Anyway. Let's get this over with and get outta here'.

Meanwhile Sam and Minsky had selected the largest ruin to investigate.

`I don't think there's been anyone here for a while, Major' said Minsky.

`No' muttered Sam.

`I see no sign of technology remaining' said Minsky.

`No none at all!' said Sam.

`Major. What are these markings on this rock?.

Sam just glanced at the stone and then turned away.

`Could be anything, Minsky' she said coldly.

`Shall I take pictures?' asked Minsky.

`Go ahead. Good idea, Captain'.

`Could this be some kind of circuitry, Major?' asked Minsky.

`Maybe. And for god's sake Minsky, stop calling me Major when we're not in the SGC. My name is Carter, or Sam. Not Major. I hate Major!' snapped Sam.

`Yes, M..., Sam'.

`That's better. Makes me feel like a person not a rank' said Sam.

Sam turned away from Minsky and he watched her in astonishment as she wandered away from him, scuffing her boots in the dusty soil. He took a few more photos and then strolled over to her.

`I don't see much of interest here, Sam. Shall we go back and join the Colonel and Teal`c?'

`Let them be` snapped Sam, 'the Colonel doesn't need us to hold his hand. We'll just go back to the gate'.

Sam turned abruptly away, but then hesitating for a moment, she turned back to face him.

`Sorry, Minsky. I'm sorry for snapping. Just got out of bed the wrong side this morning, I guess' she said.

She resumed her slow walk back towards the gate. When she got there, she just sat on the steps cradling her P90. Jack saw from the other side of the clearing.

`Teal'c just stay here. I'll go have a word with Carter'.

He pulled the peak of his cap down and despite the dim light, he donned his dark glasses. He slowly strolled over to where Sam was sitting. As he approached, she stood up and went around the other side of the gate. He followed her round, but she turned as though to study the dialling plinth. As he stood next to her, she fiddled with the chevron symbols. Minsky watched them from the cover of a low stone wall.

`Hey there, Carter. Anything interesting? Anything we can take back?'

`No, sir' said Sam, still refusing to look at him.

`Nothing at all! You usually find some damn thing'.

`No, sir'.

She moved away as if to avoid being close to him, but he followed her. He leaned closer to her.

`Carter. Look at me, and that's an order!'

`What, sir?'

`Listen, Carter. Whatever it is, you know that you can tell us. We can help. We've always helped each other, it`s what we do. Come on, it's supposed to be me that's the strong silent type'.

She turned , looked at him for a moment and opened her mouth as though to speak, but then clamped her lips shut again. As she turned away he saw her eyes shine with unshed tears. Jack reached out and touched her arm.

`Carter. Whatever Kinsey has on you, it doesn't matter. We can help you'.

He hesitated a moment and then lowering his voice,

`Sam, I can help you'.

`It's nothing, sir'.

`Sam....'

She turned quickly back and glared at him.

`Leave me alone, Colonel. Just go away. Why can't anyone get a moment's peace in this man's army?'.

Jack looked at her in amazement.

`Ok, Carter. But remember we're here'.

`You won't let me forget it.....sir'.

She stalked off towards another pile of rocks and started minutely examining it. Jack returned to Teal'c.

`Well. That went........... badly!' he said, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand in frustration

Teal'c raised an eyebrow. They remained on the planet for another few hours. Jack and Teal'c headed off into the scrubby wasteland for a couple of miles, but after finding nothing of interest they circled round and then headed back to the Stargate.

Sam and Minsky continued taking pictures and tracings of some of the rock markings. As soon as they got back Jack ordered Minsky to dial home.

`Just make it back in time to go for a pizza. You coming Minsky?' asked Jack casually.

`Sure, sir. Thanks' said Minsky.

`Teal'c?'

`Yes, O'Neill'.

`Carter?'

`No, sir. Thank you.'

`You must be starving, Carter. Didn't see you at breakfast?'

`Just not hungry, sir'.

Jack pursed his lips, `Ok, Carter'.

They passed back through the Stargate and in accordance with regulations went directly to the infirmary for their routine check up. All four team members walked down the corridor in silence. In itself an unusual occurrence. They normally discussed the events of the mission, Daniel sulking if he'd had to leave a particularly interesting find, Sam talking scientific gobbledygook, even the new team member, Minsky usually had some question about Gou'ld hierarchy or other. As they walked down the corridor in silence, Jack threw a glance at Teal'c who just shrugged. Sam had not spoken since they'd discussed eating. Their medicals were all completely routine.

`Come on doc. We want to go for a pizza' grumbled Jack, fidgeting as he sat on the edge of a bed.

`Well, nothing wrong with your stomach, Colonel!' said Janet Fraiser, nodding at him as he jumped off the bed and grabbed his shirt.

`I'm not going for a pizza' added Sam .

Janet Fraiser nodded her agreement, `Wise decision. Too much fat'.

`Who cares?' flung Jack over his shoulder as he pushed open the infirmary door.

He swivelled around to look at Sam who was having a torch shone into her eyes.

`We could make it Chinese or something if you prefer Carter?' he added.

Sam just looked at him.

`You're fine Colonel, and you too as usual, Teal'c. Let's do you Captain Minsky, and I'll finish Major Carter when you rabble have left' said Janet as she snapped shut two of the brown folders laying open on a grey steel trolley.

Doctor Janet Fraiser deftly examined Minsky and past him as in good health. General Hammond appeared in the doorway.

`We'll debrief in the morning, SG1 unless you have anything urgent to tell me?' he said, looking at Jack with a raised eyebrow.

`No, sir. Nothing' said Jack.

`Ok people, enjoy that pizza' smiled the General.

Jack Teal'c and Minsky left the room. Jack passed a glance back over his shoulder in the direction of Sam as Janet Fraiser turned to face Sam.

`Just you now, Sam. Sometimes it's great to get rid of all the men. Don't know how we stand it sometimes' she smiled.

She took Sam's pulse and frowned slightly. Tilting her head, Janet looked into her eyes and carried out the usual check at the back of the neck, and since the Jolinar incident, in the back of the throat.

`I think we'll do a quick blood test if you don't mind, Sam. Just hold still a moment as usual. That's great. You're very quiet Sam. Are you feeling all right?'

`Fine, Janet. Just a little tired, that's all'.

Janet Fraiser inserted the small phial of blood into a spectrograph and looked at the results.

`Blood sugar's a bit low. When did you last eat?'

`Don't know'.

`Well, you need to eat. Why don't you go with the guys? You want me to catch Colonel O'Neill?'

`No. I'd rather eat in the canteen'.

Janet raised an eyebrow but refrained from commenting.

`Well make sure that you do' she added sternly.

`I will Janet'.

`Your pulse and respiration are a little raised as well, but I can't see any particular reason. White blood cell count doesn't indicate that you're coming down with anything. I would like to see you tomorrow though just to check'.

`Can I go now, Janet?' pleaded Sam

Janet Fraiser hesitated a moment before replying, `Yes. You can go'.

Janet Fraiser watched Sam with concerned eyes as she picked up her stuff and headed for the door. She turned to her files and made a few brief notes.

Sam virtually ran down the corridor to her room. She felt claustrophobic in the grey, endless curving corridors. Once at her room she slammed the door and bolted it. She turned her back to the door and sank to the floor with her back against the cold grey metal. Her head was splitting again and she felt helpless. Her head fell forward onto her knees and she started sobbing until she was exhausted. Remembering what Janet had said, she rummaged though her pockets and pulled out a slab of chocolate which she broke into small pieces and pushed it into her mouth.

`That'll bring the blood sugar up' she muttered.

Without getting undressed she lay on top of her narrow bed and eventually fell into a fitful sleep.

At the pizza restaurant, Jack O'Neill was just ordering a second round of beers. They had demolished three huge pizzas and now sat back replete.

`Well guys, any thoughts?' he said.

`I do not, O'Neill, although Major Carter does not appear to be happy. Her behaviour is not normal'.

`Minsky, this is your bag' said Jack, turning to the younger man with a shrug.

`Well, sir' said Minsky, hesitating.

`Minsky, don't call me sir. We're off duty'.

`Ok. Well, it's a bit delicate'.

`How so?'

`Well there is a certain pattern. A trigger that is consistent across Major Carter's behaviour'.

`And?' said Jack, taking a sip of his beer.

`The thing is, sir, it's you'.

`Me!' exclaimed Jack, forgetting to correct Minsky`s use of his title.

`Yes, sir, I mean, Jack. She is showing all the classic signs of avoidance'.

`But she's not speaking to anyone' protested Jack.

`That's true. But her body language is positively screaming that you are the driving factor in this somehow' persisted Minsky.

`It does?'

`Yeah! Kinda like she wishes you didn't exist'.

`Oh!' muttered Jack.

`But there is more. She doesn't like herself at the moment either. She doesn't want to be here and now, she wants to be out of it. Her body language is screaming self hatred'.

`What's all this mean?' asked Jack.

`I haven't a clue, sir' said Minsky with a shrug.

`Great!'.

Next day at the debrief Jack watched Sam closely. She came in the room last and sure enough she sat as far away from Jack as she could. Her eyes didn't meet his and she turned to face the General. Her flashed her a quick smile, but she sat in stony silence. Her face was pale and the dark smudges under her eyes were unmistakeable. He realised that she probably hadn't slept very well. General Hammond started the debrief.

`Major, would you like to take us through the introduction? Any surprises?' said Hammond.

`No, sir. It appears that the sun on the planet is dying. It currently just supports vegetation, but that's about all. I guess the locals left a long time ago. We saw no evidence of higher animal life at all '.

`Any sign of Goa'uld activity, Colonel?' asked the General.

`No, sir. None. Nothing to tempt them really. Nobody to enslave. Nothing much going for the place really'.

`I agree, General. No locals, not much Naquadaah' added Teal'c.

`As we thought. Anything to add, Captain Minsky?'

`Just that we did find some stone markings that have yet to be analysed, General, although they appear to be of extreme age' said Minsky.

`Very good, SG1. Report on my desk by the morning, Colonel. Dismiss'.

The team all stood up and Sam headed straight for the door.

`Oh, Major Carter. Dr Fraiser is expecting you in the Infirmary, now' said the General firmly, stopping her in her tracks.

Jack turned and looked at her, concerned.

`Something the matter, Carter?' he asked.

She didn't look back but replied as she was walking out the door.

`Just routine, sir' she muttered.

Down in the medical wing, Janet Fraiser was waiting for her.

`Good, Sam. Let's have a look at you. How are you feeling. Better?'

She took another blood sample and examined the results of the test.

`Well, blood sugar's better, but the pulse is still highish. Sam, if I didn't know better, I would guess that you're suffering under some kind of stress. I know it's endemic with this job, but you're not usually prone. Are you feeling stressed?'

`I'm just a bit tired, Janet. Perhaps I could do with a break'.

`Mmm. Well, let me know straight away if you feel any worse, won't you?' said Janet Fraiser kindly

`Sure, Janet. Thanks'.

Sam left the Infirmary as Janet watched her thoughtfully and then added some more notes to her records.

Jack O'Neill's cell phone warbled.

`O'Neill'.

`Jack, Jack. I got your message. Not subtle there, Jack!' came the familiar voice of Harry Maybourne..

`Maybourne. I didn't think you'd understand subtle'.

`Ah, Jack. I've missed you. I've missed these little conversations!'.

`Where are you?'

`Can you hear the surf pounding on the warm, white sand?'

`Alcatraz?'.

`Close enough'.

`Listen Maybourne. Less of the cosy chit chat. I know you'll be bouncing off half a dozen satellites, so I'll keep it short and sweet'.

`As you like, Jack'.

`It's our best buddy, K. He's up to something'.

`He's always up to something'.

`Yeah, but this something involves Carter'.

`Ah! The lovely Samantha'.

`He's creating trouble. We need to know what. Can you sniff around for me?'

`What's it worth, Jack?'

`Come on Maybourne, this is Sam we're talking about'.

`Ok, ok, I always was a sucker for a pretty face. Come back in 24?'

`I hate to say it, Maybourne, but thanks'.

`I just love it when you're in my debt. It gives me a warm glowy sort of feeling'.

`I don't like it! In fact, if I were you, I'd go before I decide it's not worth it! '.

`Don't be like that, Jack. Till tomorrow'.

Sam carefully folded a copy of her mission report and put it in a large brown envelope. She tucked it into an inside pocket of her jacket and left her room. She headed down the corridor to the lift and then down to level 27. She looked around and headed towards the infirmary. As she reached the curve in the corridor the second lift door opened and after a hesitation, Jack O'Neill slipped out. He listened carefully and hearing Sam's footsteps receding into the distance, he followed at a discrete distance. After peering through the glass door, Sam opened it and entered. She saw one solitary orderly, packing away equipment into a tin cupboard. She walked over to him.

`McClain?' asked Sam, cautiously.

`Major Carter! What can I do for you?' said McClain with a leer.

`I think you know McClain' snapped Sam.

`I suppose I do'.

Sam took out the brown envelope and gave it to him. McClain took it and tucked it inside his shirt and looked at her curiously.

`That all?' he asked.

`Yes. Isn't enough?' said Sam with a low voice.

As Sam turned away, McClain grabbed her wrist. She spun around and stared at him.

`Airman, just what do you think you're doing?' she said steadily looking at his large heavy hand on her slender pale wrist.

`Just looking' grinned McClain.

`At what?' hissed Sam.

`You, Major. Our mutual friend is right. You look good in uniform'.

Sam took a sharp intake of air, `McClain. Cut the crap'.

`That's not nice!' said McClain.

`You're not nice' snarled Sam.

`I could be' grinned McClain.

At that McClain pulled her closer.

`Let me go, Now!' said Sam, her voice carrying more authority.

`If you want me to take your letters, don't you want to send a little kiss too?' breathed McClain.

Sam twisted her arm sharply from his grasp and stepping quickly to one side she turned and slapped him full force across the face. The metal instruments clattered to the floor with a loud crash and Jack O'Neill opened the door. Jack quickly surveyed the situation and noted the red wheal on McClain's face.

`Sorry to interrupt. Gotta couple of headache pills?' he drawled, hands thrust casually in his pants pockets.

McClain pointed to a small wall cabinet.

`Over there Colonel' muttered McClain.

`Thanks' said Jack, strolling over to the cabinet. As he passed Sam, he turned towards her, 'Major, you going up to the canteen? Can I have a word?'

`Yes, sir' growled Sam, her cheeks pink with embarassment.

Jack held the door open for her and as they walked together away towards the canteen he nodded back towards the infirmary.

`Lover's tiff?' he asked.

`What?' said Sam, stopping in her tracks.

`I was being funny!'

`Oh, I see'.

As they entered the lift he took her arm and gently turned her to face him.

`Carter, what's the problem? Tell me. I'm your commanding officer and your welfare is my concern. More than that, Sam I thought we were friends. I'll find out in the end you know'.

She turned her head away from him.

`I can't, sir'

`You can't what?' he persisted

`I can't tell you, sir. It's personal'.

`I wish you would. Everyone's worried about you, Sam. I know Kinsey's involved somehow. Come and see me when you want'.

`Thank you, sir'.

When the lift door opened at her floor, Sam hurried out and virtually ran down the corridor. Jack watched her with concern. At least she seemed to have thawed a bit towards him.

Next day Jack received a call back from Maybourne.

`Jack. It's your best buddy'.

`Can't be. Sounds like you Maybourne'.

`You can be hurtful, Jack'.

`Maybourne!'.

`Ok, Jack, ok. Now about our mutual friend, K. He has been a busy boy'.

`Doin' what?'

`I found requisitions for long lens camera equipment, surveillance materials and van and most interesting, he's bugged the lovely Major's house'.

`What the hell! How do you know'.

`I've told you before. In this lovely document bound land of ours, everything has a paper trail somewhere. Each of those bits of paper makes a jigsaw piece. Put them together and the whole picture starts to appear.'

`So what's he doin'?'

`If I had to guess, I would say that he's been taking snapshots of Major Carter. By the way, I wouldn't say no to some of those! Oh, and tapes too. Usually the food and drink of the blackmailer. The question we all ask is what is there to blackmail her about? Has she something to hide?'

`I doubt it! You know Carter'.

`What, nothing at all? No sordid little secrets?'

`Not that I'm aware of'.

`Finding that out will be more difficult. I suggest that you approach the Major herself. Meanwhile the best form of defence is attack. I suggest that we find out something about our mutual friend that we can use against him'.

`Such as?'

`The difficulty isn't what, it's which one!'.

`Thanks, Maybourne'.

`Music to my ears, Jack'.

`You'll contact me?'

`It'll be a pleasure, Jack. Au revoir'.

Jack put his cell phone away in a drawer and leaving his room he walked down to Sam's lab. Arriving to find Sam not present he addressed the young assistant who was tidying up some equipment.

`Major Carter here?' asked Jack.

`No, sir'.

`Where is she?'

`Sorry, sir. She hasn't been here all day.'.

Jack raised an eyebrow, `Thanks'.

He walked down to the canteen but Sam was not there either, so he headed down to her room. He tapped on the door but there was no response. He waited a few moments and then turned away. As he did so he heard a faint sound from behind the door. He tapped again and spoke.

`Carter, you in there? Open the door'.

He waited again but the door stayed shut.

`Major Carter, this is your CO and this is an order. Open the door'.

He heard a click and the door swung open. Pushing the door he walked into the room and closed it behind him. Sam was sat on the edge of the bed. Her face was white and drawn and she had dark rings under her eyes. Jack looked down at her and spoke firmly.

`When did you last eat, Carter?'

`I don't remember, sir'.

`Put your coat on. We'll go for somethin' to eat' he said firmly.

`No, I can't' said Sam stubbornly.

`Why not?'

`I don't want to'.

`Why the hell not. We're team members, Christ I'm your CO and this is starting to affect the team dynamic. What ever the hell this is' said Jack.

`That's why' said Sam confusingly..

`You lost me' said Jack with a puzzled look.

`Fraternization regulations'.

`What!'.

`You heard me. It's just simpler this way'.

`Carter. The regulations say nothing about two team members eatin' some pizza together' said Jack, frowning.

`I know, sir. But where does it kick in? Where do we draw the line?'

`What are you saying?' said Jack quietly

Sam wrapped her arms around her head and rested it on her knees. She closed her eyes wearily. Jack looked at her with concern and sat down beside her on the bed. Biting his lip he hesitated and then reached out his hand towards her hair. Before he could touch her, she stood up suddenly and opening a drawer she took out the photographs and tape that Kinsey had given her. She flung them down onto the bed next to Jack who silently picked them up and glanced at the pictures.

`Is this all?' he said quietly.

`Isn't it enough?' said Sam agitatedly as she started to pace the room

`I meant are there any more?'

Sam hung her head down.

`No. Just the tape' said Sam as she stopped and looked at him.

`What's on it?'

`Incriminating stuff'.

`How can there be?' said Jack quietly.

`It's been doctored. He's took phrases, words and pieced them together' spat Sam..

Jack laughed and Sam looked at him angrily.

`It's not funny, sir' she snapped.

`Sorry, Carter. But it is, just a little bit' said Jack calmly.

Sam clenched her fists and paced the room.

`Oh well. I don't know why I bothered. You obviously aren't. Don't you realise what the consequences are if anyone believes this stuff?' she said, her cheeks glowing

Jack leaned back and rested against the wall. His voice was serious as he answered.

`For you, nothing!' he said.

`Correct, except maybe reputation. And you?' said Sam.

`Minimum dishonourable discharge, possible custodial sentence' said Jack calmly.

`Doesn't it bother you?'

`Sure. If it was true. But it isn't. We've never broken regulations. We're colleagues, friends even. He'll never get away with this' said Jack simply.

`But it looks terrible. If someone wants to destroy you, they could. We know that there's nothing in it, but it could look that way if someone wanted it bad enough. It would be the end of everything that you care about. What would you do without the Air Force. You would hate me forever'.

When she finished speaking she sat back down on the bed with her head down. Her shoulders shuddered slightly. Jack watched her.

`Carter, I've been in the Air Force longer than I care to think about. It'll take more than Kinsey to get rid of me. Have you put yourself through all this because you were afraid of what might happen to me?'

She nodded dumbly and Jack took her hand in his.

`Sam. Look at me.' he said softly.

She raised her bright blue eyes and looked directly into his dark brown ones.

`I don't know what to say. Minsky said you were trying to avoid me. You were just trying to avoid the situation weren't you?' he asked.

`Sorry, sir' muttered Sam.

`Minsky's a good kid. Remember to listen to him in the future. Look, think of Kinsey as just another mission. The enemy's just closer to home than normal, that's all. Now, you still hungry?' he asked.

`Starving!' admitted Sam.

`Good. Grab your coat. I know a Chinese in town'.

`You don't like Chinese'.

`You do!'.

`You remembered'.

`Come on before I change my mind' said Jack with a grin.

As they were eating, Sam told Jack all the details. What Kinsey wanted and McClain's role. Jack looked thoughtful.

`Sir?' asked Sam.

`Let's give Kinsey the rope to hang himself. But we'll have to be convincing'.

`How?'

`First tell nobody anything'.

`Nobody?' queried Sam.

`Nobody! Look we've a routine mission on Tuesday. Let's feed Kinsey what he wants. Lots of detail'.

`I see, sir' said Sam with a nod.

`Yeah. Carter, you'll have to play your part. Can you do it? I won't let anything happen to you?'

`Of course sir. I can do it. And, sir, I can look after myself'.

`I know you can'.

They discussed all the details of their plan as they finished the meal, and then Jack drove them back to the base. Since she understood that her house was bugged, she'd preferred to stay at the base. It felt safe. When Sam's head hit the pillow, she slept for the first time in days.

Back in his room, Jack surveyed himself in the mirror.

`Jack, you're a fool. You should have seen it coming. It could have been anyone if Kinsey hadn't taken what you gave him on a plate. You're getting sloppy in your old age. You haven't actually broken the regs, but by God you would have done if you'd had the chance. You've broken them a thousand times in your head. Now, sort this mess out and don't put the career of a damn good officer at risk. And, I'm not talking about you'.

Jack fell into a deep sleep, plotting his campaign.

Days later in the debriefing room General Hammond wrapped up the meeting.

`Anything further to add, anyone?' asked Hammond.

`Very routine, sir. Boring even!' said Jack.

`Well, I look forward to reading your report then, Colonel' said Hammond wryly.

`Nothing of particular interest, sir' added Sam.

`Captain Minsky?' asked Hammond.

`No, sir'.

`Very good, SG1. Stand down' said the General.

Sam glanced at Jack and headed straight back to her room. She opened her laptop computer on her desk and typed quickly. After printing out her mission report, she pocketed it and headed down to the infirmary. Opening the door she peered in.

`McClain, you there?'

`Sure, Major. Come in'.

McClain was waiting for her as she pushed open the door and entered the room. He grabbed her arm and stroked it. Sam sighed impatiently.

`McClain. You got a death wish?' she said quietly.

`Tut, tut, Samantha. Just want to be friends, that's all' said McClain.

`It's Major, McClain! Now let go before I break your arm' she snarled.

She waited until he released her. She took out the report from her pocket and gave it to him.

`Take this and also pass on a message. We have something of interest. Details are in there. You got that?' she said.

`Sure' said McClain sloppily.

`Sure, Major!' corrected Sam.

`Major' said McClain sulkily.

`Oh and McClain, try anything next time and I'll kill you'.

With that, Sam turned and left the room. She headed straight back to her quarters. When she entered the room, Jack O'Neill was sitting on the floor with his back to the wall.

`How'd it go, Carter?' he asked.

`Ok, sir. McClain tried it on again'.

`You ok?'

`Sure. No problem'.

`Good girl! He take the bait?'

`I'm sure it won't be long before Kinsey contacts us, sir'.

`Well. We'll hear tomorrow, so I suggest you get a good night's sleep.'

`Yes, sir'.

Jack hoisted himself up off the floor. He looked at her for a moment before turning and leaving her room. After he had left, Sam sat down for a while, thinking about the next part of the plan. She opened her wardrobe door and pulled out a pure white, slim fitting vest top. She rooted some more and then leaving her room she walked down to stores and requisitioned a new pair of combat pants. Grimly she returned to her room and put the folded pants and vest top on one side.

Next day she kept busy in the lab until she saw the figure of McClain beckoning her through the window. She went outside.

`McClain?' she snapped.

`Message, Major'.

`Well, get on with it, McClain' she said impatiently.

`You're to pay a visit tonight. A car will be here at 2000 hrs. Oh and you're to take the merchandise' said McClain.

`Ok. I get the message. Now go away, McClaine' snapped Sam.

Sam returned to her laboratory until tea time, when she walked down to the canteen. Jack was sat alone at a table, nursing a large coffee, and as she passed him she nodded almost imperceptibly. He stood up and left. Sam forced herself to eat and when she returned to her room, Jack was waiting for her with long lengths of fine wire laying across the bed. He looked at her as she entered.

`Carter, you sure that you're alright with this?' he asked.

`I'm sure, sir. Turn round while I change. Kinsey has a big uniform fetish and if we can distract him it'll make the mission easier' she said.

Jack turned and faced the corner as she took the prepared clothing out of the drawer and changed.

`Ok. I'm done' she said.

Jack turned back and let out a low whistle. Sam was wearing a pristine white vest top. It fitted like a second skin and her dog tags just rested on the low cut neckline. Her combat pants were tight and her regulation boots shone. She was wearing a chunky utility belt slung low on her hips. Jack raised his eyebrow.

`Carter, what can I say? Is this sensible?' he asked.

`Do you think he'll be distracted?' she asked.

Jack gazed at her, his breath coming just a little bit heavily.

`Oh, I think I can guarantee that, Major, but where do I put the wire?' said Jack.

Sam looked down.

`Give me the wire and mike, sir' she said.

Jack passed it over and taking it, she threaded the wire down the front of her white top. She wriggled until it was comfortable and turned to face Colonel O'Neill.

Sam `Can you see anything, sir?'

Jack looked hard, even though it meant staring hard at her chest. He knew that her safety was dependent on the wire being completely undetectable.

`No. Nothing' he murmured.

`Is it working?' asked Sam.

Jack tapped on a small earpiece and inserted it into his ear.

`Speak at normal volume. Now quietly. That's fine. Now let's try a distance test' he said.

`I'll go on walk about. You stay here, sir' said Sam.

`Ok, Carter. Don't be long. I want to be there before you and you've only got 30 minutes' said Jack.

`I'll be back in 15, sir' said Sam.

Sam put a large shirt on over her outfit and walked about the base, occasionally muttering to herself. After a while she turned back and returned to her room.

`That's fine. Now I'll get off' he said.

He took her hand in his and looked serious.

`Remember, Carter, I'll be listening all the time. If things get tricky, just say. I'll be recording everything and hopefully we'll get enough on Kinsey to stop this thing here and now' said Jack.

`I hope so, sir' said Sam.

`Be careful, Carter'.

Sam smiled at him.

`I will, sir'

Sam was waiting by the SGC gates as the long black car drew up. She was wearing a black coat over her uniform. What Colonel O'Neill didn't know was that she was wearing an intricate Tolen bracelet on her arm. The bracelet recorded all the emotion of the wearer and then this could be `played back' by someone else. Sam had kept the bracelet since Narim had given it to her to show her how he felt. Over the years she had occasionally got it out and slipped it on her wrist. She could relive the feeling of being adored and cared for. She planned to use it against Kinsey. As the car drove up to his palatial house, Sam muttered under her breath. It gave her comfort to know that he was listening.

`We're here, sir' she murmured.

She got out of the car and walked into the white columned hallway. Kinsey was waiting for her.

`Ah, the lovely Major. How nice to see you again and so soon. Let me take your coat.'

Sam peeled off her coat and gave it to Kinsey. While he hung up her cat, she pulled her top down and tucked it tightly into her pants, settling the utility belt low on her hips. When Kinsey returned he stopped and looked her up and down.

`Why, Major Carter, you've got all dressed up for me. How nice. Let's go into the library. We can be more comfortable there' smirked Kinsey.

Outside the house, and around a dark corner, Jack settled himself down in the driver's seat of his black jeep, his dark hat pulled low over his silvery hair. He listened intently through an earpiece. A digital recorder was placed on the seat next to him.

Once in the library, Kinsey strolled over to the bar and raising an eyebrow towards Sam he asked her if she would like a drink.

`White wine, Major?'

`Oh, yes please, sir' said Sam with a smile.

`Samantha, call me John, please'.

`Yes, John' she simpered.

He poured from a good bottle of chilled French wine and handing her the fine crystal he raised his glass.

`To our partnership, Samantha'.

Sam raised her glass towards him and took a sip.

`Samantha, do I notice a thawing in your behaviour?' asked Kinsey.

Sam leaned against the huge white fireplace and put her glass down on the mantle.

`You might. It's just that I've had a little time to think about things. I'm sick of the way SGC works. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's definitely a man's world, and I'm sick of doing all the work and getting none of the rewards. We bring back endless artefacts and they just vanish into some government hangar somewhere. It's time I got a little something back. And as a woman, we have to put life on hold and obey regulations. Heaven help if we want to have some fun' she said .

Kinsey raised his glass towards her, `Well, well, my dear. How nice to have you on board'.

Sam forced herself to give him a dazzling smile as he traced a line down her bare arm with his hand. He stopped when he reached the Tolen bracelet.

`Interesting!' said Kinsey.

`It's what I've brought for you. You might find it useful. I always have' said Sam, leaning a little towards him.

Kinsey looked closer at the bracelet, `I love presents. What is it'.

`It's Tolen. Very advanced technology' said Sam.

Kinsey turned her wrist over and looked at the bracelet.

`It gives the wearer the ability to sense the feelings of people within a radius of about four feet. It means that you can kind of tell what people are thinking. You can tell if they are lying to you for example, although it does take some practice'.

Jack O'Neill listened carefully and frowned. He wasn't aware that Sam had any Tolen artefacts. This was not according to the plan that they had agreed and that made him uncomfortable. With a deep sigh, he fastened the recorder to his belt, zipped up his dark jacket and quietly slipped out of the car. Scrutinising the road and seeing no-one, he dived into some dark shadows cast by the large trees that surrounded the Kinsey residence. With a groan, he shimmied up the high stone wall and dropped down over the other side onto the lush grass. He rooted around in a pocket and pulled out a pair of glasses with infra red lenses. When he donned them, he could see the criss cross pattern of the infra red security beams. He dodged through the beams until he reached he wall of the house. Seeing a large well lit window to his left, he edged along the wall towards it. Once there he peered in. He could see a large well stocked library. There was a fine mahogany desk and buttoned leather club chairs. Sam was stood in front of the blazing fire cradling a wine glass and Kinsey was stood too close to her with his hand resting on her arm. In his other hand he held a dull grey steel coloured metal band. It was obviously not of earth origin. There were coloured glassy shapes forming a pattern on one side. Jack listened in to the conversation.

`So, how does this work?' asked Kinsey, licking his lips in anticipation.

`Like I said, it takes practise, but it does work. You place this on your arm and press that button there. It will transmit the subconscious of any person in the immediate vicinity directly to your mind.'

`Sounds intriguing' said Kinsey.

`Put it on' said Sam with a pout.

Kinsey slipped the bracelet onto his wrist.

`Now concentrate! I'll think about how I feel at the moment. See if you can pick up those feelings' said Sam.

He pressed the red glass shape as instructed by Sam. Sam stood silent and looked at the Senator. She knew that it would take a few seconds to kick in. She watched his face closely. The Senator waited a few moments then suddenly his eyes dilated. He felt a warm sensation of trust and loyalty wash over him, but this was replaced a feeling of want and need. He understood the feelings according to his own interpretation. He felt greed and desire. The feelings were complex and shifting but they reflected his own desires and wants. Kinsey reached out and grabbed Sam's arm and staggered slightly.

Jack O'Neill fidgeted uncomfortably as he watched through the window. He didn't have a clue what was happening as none of this was in their plan. He didn't like the way that Kinsey was staring at Sam with glassy eyes.

Sam wrestled one hand free of Kinsey's grasp and pressed the blue panel on the bracelet. Kinsey stepped away from her.

`My God, I had no idea' said Kinsey breathily.

`It's hard at first, but you get used to it. You can tell whose lying, who your enemies are with this' said Sam.

Kinsey studied Sam.

`If it's true, why do you feel like that?' he asked.

`What did you understand from my feelings?' asked Sam.

He struggled to put the things that he'd felt into words.

`I felt trust, and want, no....greed, and desire' said Kinsey.

`Really? The device can pick up feelings that the transmitter isn't even aware of yet. I guess there's nothing so attractive as power' she said seductively.

`So ... if I'm in committee, I'll know if someone is lying to me or even if they're going to lie? It's fantastic. It removes all doubt. I must have it'.

`There's only one slight problem. There is only one device' said Sam.

`I have to have it. You can have anything you want. I need this advantage' snapped Kinsey.

Sam tilted her head to one side and appeared to think a while.

`I want power. I want a say in what goes on at SGC. Who stays and who goes' said Sam coolly.

Kinsey looked at her appreciatively, `The president has ultimate say in SGC'.

`Well, I want ultimate say with the president' persisted Sam.

Kinsey laughed.

`You're a fast learner Samantha. You can have all these things. Influence is easily bought, even with the white house'.

Outside the window, Jack shifted from one foot to the other and continued to watch. His thoughts were coming quickly. He didn't know what the Tolen device was, but what the hell, Kinsey was giving them enough to effectively stop him being the thorn in the side that he'd been for so long. He willed Sam on to finish the job.

Kinsey smirked at Sam.

`I know what else you want, Samantha and I'm sure that can be arranged too. What an unexpected day!' said Kinsey with a leer.

Kinsey stepped towards Sam and took the glass that she was still holding from her hand and put it down onto a small side table. Sliding his other hand around her waist he pulled her close to him. Murmuring as he nuzzled her neck.

`Mmm. Well muscled. How delicious'.

Jack clenched his fists and bit his lip.

Sam stood still for a moment and then with a playful push, she looked straight in his eyes. She ran her tongue over her lips and smiled at him.

`Not here, John. What about your wife?' she said.

Kinsey refused to be dissuaded, `She understands me. She understands my appetites'.

Sam pouted at him, `Well, I prefer somewhere with a bit of luxury. You would too if you'd been in the Air Force as long as me. I want satin sheets and champagne. I have 3 days leave coming up at the weekend. Take me away somewhere and treat me like a woman should be treated'.

`It'll be my pleasure, my dear' smirked Kinsey.

Sam pouted at him and turned away.

`I need to get back before questions are asked' said Sam, moving away from him a little.

`What about the device?' asked Kinsey greedily.

`I'll keep it'.

`I'd rather keep it!' said Kinsey, his eyes glued to the dull metal band.

`No, it's my guarantee' said Sam firmly.

`Guarantee?' queried Kinsey.

`That you won't turn me over to the authorities. If you did, you'd never see it again' said Sam.

Kinsey laughed again.

`You really do learn fast. I like that' he said.

Sam sashayed across the room and picked up her coat, fastening it tightly around her.

After watching the play enacting in front of him, Jack turned away from the window, picked his way back across the garden and over the wall back to his jeep. He continued to listen as Sam made her goodbyes to Kinsey.

`My dear. I can hardly wait. I think a small taster is in order don't you? said Kinsey.

Kinsey walked over to Sam and putting one hand behind her neck he pulled her towards him and kissed her roughly. In the jeep, Jack flinched as he guessed what was happening. Sam pulled away from Kinsey.

`Not here. Wait. It'll soon be weekend' purred Sam.

At that she turned and left the room.

When she was back in the official car and returning to base, she scrubbed her hand across her lips and flinched. When she reached the SGC, she went straight back to her room. She stripped off the clothes that she was wearing and dumped them in the bin. She laid the wiring carefully across the bed and went for a shower. She ran the water till it almost scalded her.

Jack O'Neill tapped on her door and when he got no reply, he slid a credit card deftly down the lock, opening the door. He stepped into the room and noted the clothes in the bin. He rolled up the wiring that was laid across the bed and dropped it in his pocket. He sat down in the office style chair and propped his feet on the desk. He pulled the brim of his cap down over his eyes. Sam finally stepped out of the shower and wrapped a large bath towel around her and walked out of the small utilitarian bathroom. She started when she saw Colonel Jack O'Neill in her room.

`How did you get in here?' she asked.

`I didn't do all that special ops training for nothin''.

`Oh'.

`I think we were successful?' said Jack carefully.

`I hope so. I don't want to do that again' shuddered Sam.

Jack's eyes narrowed.

`Of course it would've been nice to know about that little device!'.

Sam fidgeted, `Sorry, sir'.

`Want to tell me about it?' persisted Jack.

`It's Tolen, sir' said Sam quietly.

`I got that. And it reads people's minds?' asked Jack.

`Not quite'.

`Not quite?'

`Well actually, sir. It's a recorder really. It records people's feelings. It doesn't actually read minds' said Sam awkwardly.

Jack looked puzzled.

`So exactly what happened back there at Kinsey's, Major?'

`I'd already worn the device for a while before the meeting and imprinted it with my feelings. When he put it on he was just replaying what was recorded. So he thought the feelings were for him. The device also uses the feelings of the listener. If someone has no pity in them for example, they wouldn't understand pity if it was played back to them. I betted that Kinsey wouldn't have any understanding of the finer feelings of life, that he would translate those feelings into ones that he did understand'.

`You took a risk' said Jack with a frown.

`Yes, sir' said Sam, her head down.

`I wish you'd told me what you were planning'.

`I didn't think that you'd like it, sir'.

`I didn't'.

After picking up a fresh Tee shirt and pants, Sam pulled the towel tighter about her and went back into the bathroom. Jack looked around the tidy room and spotted the Tolen bracelet lying discarded on the small chest of drawers. He leaned over and picked it up. Its surface was cold and smooth and it had sinuous curves that betrayed its non-terrestrial origins. He turned it over in his hand and fingered the coloured glass panels, which were fitted into the curved surface. He glanced at the bathroom door and then slid the bangle over his hand. As it touched his wrist it seemed to mould itself to his skin and a slight tingle ran up his arm. He listened to the sound of the hairdryer coming from the other room and after a slight hesitation he pressed the red shape. Nothing happened for a few seconds then the tingle started to increase until he realised that he was losing contact with reality. A huge wash of emotion spread over him and he just surrendered to it. Waves of absolute trust and loyalty invaded every pore of his being and he struggled just to remember to breath. He wanted to feel even more as the first wave began to fade only to be followed by overwhelming feeling of intimacy and closeness. His breath was coming in ragged gasps as it increased into a need that made his chest hurt, a real sexual desire but beneath the crescendos of desire he also felt an edge of hopelessness. Suddenly his mind emptied like a light that had been abruptly switched off. He opened his eyes and blinked away the tears that had formed there. He saw Sam stood in front of him a look of absolute fury on her face. Her hands were clenched and her eyes flashed with anger.

`How dare you?' Just how dare you?' she snarled through gritted teeth.

Her voice was rising to a crescendo until she was shouting.

`That's personal. Why is nothing sacred in this damn place? What the hell gives you the right to strip me of the last bit of privacy I have' she hissed.

Jack looked shamefaced.

`Sorry. Couldn't resist' he mumbled.

Sam held out a shaking hand towards him.

`Give it me! NOW!' she shouted.

Jack slid the bracelet off his arm and Sam snatched it out of his hand and flung it onto the bed.

`How could you, sir?'

`You let Kinsey use it'.

`But like I said before. It doesn't mean anything if you don't understand it, if you're incapable of feeling that way. Kinsey would only feel what he could'.

`Oh!'.

`I can't tell you how angry I feel' snarled Sam, her cheeks pink, her eyes flashing.

`Perhaps you should put that thing on and record it' muttered Jack.

`Colonel!'.

`I'm sorry, Carter. I just wanted to know what Kinsey felt. I didn't think'.

`You never do, do you' snapped Sam.

Jack put his head down before he spoke quietly.

`How did you record it?' he said softly.

Sam looked at him silently for a moment and then turned her back to him. She picked up the bracelet from the bed and rolled it around in her hands. Her shoulders went down and she seemed to fold up until she was sat on the edge of the bed. She bent her head down and let the device roll out of her hand again. He stood up quietly and sat beside her on the bed.

`Carter. What's the matter?'

She shook her head mutely.

`Carter. Don't, please!'.

She spoke so quietly that he had to lean close to hear her.

`When Narim first gave me the device and I put it on, I was overwhelmed by the feelings that one person could feel for another. The sweetness and sincerity. You have to understand, sir, I hadn't known much about love. Sad admission eh? Years in the forces don't allow much time for love. Oh, I've had romances; boy & girl stuff really, playing at it. I know I was engaged to Jonas, but even that was just playing the game. In between studying and the job, I never really had the time to miss it. Anyway I've always kept it'.

`Do you put it on?' asked Jack tightly.

`Sometimes if I'm feeling in real need! Even sadder, huh. The best I can do is my mechanical lover!' snapped Sam.

As she spoke a sob shook her shoulders and her head sunk lower.

`I was mad at you because I was ashamed' she stuttered.

`Of what?'

`Being found out'.

`Don't ever be ashamed. Carter, can I ask you something?'

Sam looked up at him and he gently brushed the tears away from her cheeks with one rough hand.

`How did you record this?' he asked quietly.

`I wore it for a day before the meeting with Kinsey' she said.

`But how did you get those feelings?' he asked hesitantly.

`There is only one way'.

`Yeah?'

`You have to feel it'.

`Have you played the thing back to yourself?' asked Jack quietly.

`You can't. There's a safety cut out built in'.

`I still don't understand'.

Sam looked at him for a moment.

`I recorded it by thinking of someone special' she muttered.

`Does that person know how you feel?' he asked.

Sam looked at him miserably.

`I don't know anymore. I don't think so. Sometimes I think he does, but then I know that he doesn't. Sad state of affairs, huh?'

At that she put her hands over her face and her shoulders shook. Jack let her cry a while and then he gently took both her hands into his.

`Sam, do you remember a long time ago. I once asked you to go fishing with me. That time we fought the replicators?'

`I remember, sir'.

`Well, we both have some leave coming up. Why don't you come with me this time? Beautiful mountains, blue skies, clean air, silence are all good for the soul. Will you come? There's nothing wrong with it. Like I said at the time, just two colleagues doin' a spot of fishing together.'

She looked quietly at him.

`I don't know, sir. Not my usual thing'.

`I think you should come, Sam. It'll be good for both of us'.

`I don't remember you saying that last time. I got the distinct impression that you were glad when I said `No'' said Sam cautiously.

`Things change' mumbled Jack.

Sam gave up.

`Ok, why not?'

`Good. Let's just clear up this Kinsey business first. I've got some visits to make' said Jack firmly.

A week later, Sam was watching the news when a familiar name caught her attention.

`And now over to Capitol Hill, where the news of the shock resignation of Senator John Kinsey is just breaking. Senator Kinsey, head of the reparations committee, was widely tipped for the White House, until his announcement earlier today. We're going over to the Kinsey residence for a media announcement' said the announcer.

The picture changed to show Kinsey stood on the steps of his palatial mock southern estate mansion. He held up his hand and spoke to the collected journalists.

`I'd like to thank all my friends from the media for coming here today. It is a sad day for me but I hope you all understand if I put my family before my career. For personal reasons I will be standing down as senator of this fine state and therefore also as chairman of the reparations committee. As I said, friends, there are personal reasons why I cannot devote enough time to my job without neglecting my precious family. That's all I want to say for now, so thank you all for coming today'.

Kinsey turned away from the throng of journalists and re-entered his house. Two black suited security guards and a familiar figure in a dark blue dress uniform, cap and dark glasses followed him. Sam gazed at the screen in amazement. After Jack had taken the recordings from her meeting with Kinsey, she hadn't seen him for nearly a week. She'd kept busy with her Naquadaah reactor, although she had noticed that McClaine had vanished from the infirmary. As she wondered how O'Neill had managed it, a young Airman stuck his head around the door.

`Major Carter. General Hammond would like to see you in his office' he said efficiently.

Thank you, Airman'.

She stood up, straightened her uniform and walked down to General Hammond's office. After tapping on the door, she opened it and walked in.

`Come in, Major and shut the door behind you'.

`Thank you, sir'.

`Have you seen the News?'

`I have, sir'.

`Good. Then I don't need to say any more, oh except take a week's leave, Major, and I want you to go off base'.

`But,... sir!'.

`That's an order, Major' he interrupted.

`Thank you, sir' said Sam feeling a little flustered.

`Leave is effective now, Sam, so go pack your bags' said Hammond kindly.

Sam gave in gracefully, `Yes, sir. See you in a week'.

General Hammond smiled and nodded towards the door.

Sam wandered back to her room. The Tolen bracelet was still on the bedside cabinet. She picked it up and fingered it. When she'd used it to trap Kinsey, she'd wiped off Narim's memories and she felt that she had slammed the door on another chapter off her life. She would never be able to slip the seductive ring over her arm and feel all that emotion directed at her. Tears welled up in her eyes and she angrily wiped them away. She quickly grabbed what clean clothing she had on base and threw them into a bag. She dropped the bracelet in with them and zipped it closed.

The corridors were empty as she made her way up to the car compound and it was dark as she fished her keys out of her bag and unlocked the door of her car. As she sat down into the driver's seat, she saw an envelope pinned under her wiper blade. She slipped back out of her seat and grabbed it. It was addressed to `Major Carter'. Her brow furrowed as she tore it open and read the enclosed letter:

Your mission should you choose to accept it is to catch two fugitive fish. Watch out for the wild backwoodsman. Location: deepest Minnesota, Time 2400 hours, Departure point; your place. PS This note will self destruct in 30 seconds. PPS Bring warm clothing.
PPPS This is not an order.

As she read the note, a grin broke out on her face until she was laughing out loud by the end.

She drove out of the compound and thirty minutes later she was back home. She glanced at her watch. 2300 hrs. She parked the car in the garage and let herself in. She ran up the stairs two at a time and dragged a large soft bag out of the closet. After placing the small bag that she was carrying inside it, she quickly added more clothing including a couple of warm sweaters and a jacket. She hesitated for a minute before packing some warm woolly pyjamas and one long silk nightgown. She stopped and looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were shining and two pink patches had appeared on her cheeks. She shook her head and stared at herself.

`Samantha Carter. Calm down. Your CO is concerned about you, that's all. That's all it can be. You know that. Chill out. Don't make a fool of yourself'.

She turned away from the mirror and pulled the soft silk nightdress back out of her bag. Holding it in her hand, she brushed it over her burning cheek and then quickly pushed it back into a corner of the bag and zipped it shut. She carried the bag downstairs and out onto the porch. She switched off all the lights and locked up. Sitting on a tree stump hidden by a bush she waited.

At exactly midnight a black jeep drew up to her house and she watched as Jack O'Neill got out. She watched him through the branches as he hesitated. She saw him look towards the house and frown. After a moment he walked up the path and rang the bell. She stayed hidden as he paced back and forward a couple of times and then headed back towards the car. As he passed the bush, he suddenly side stepped and grabbed her from behind, pulling her off the tree stump and pinning her on the grass. She started giggling uncontrollably, unable to move until tears ran down her face and her ribs ached.

`Let me up. Let me up', she gasped.

In the bright moonlight she could see him grinning at her

`It's good to hear you laugh again, Carter'.

He stood up, offered her his hand and pulled her up. As she stood, she was conscious of being very close to him but he didn't move away. Instead he just leaned over and picked up her bag and taking her by the hand, steered her to the car.

During the long drive to Minnesota she dozed and dreamed. They spoke very little until he finally stopped the car after about ten miles of gravel track. Sam gazed at the picture postcard view in front of her. The lush green mountains came right down to the lake that reflected the deepening blue of an early evening sky. She jumped out of the jeep and took a deep breath of the pure clean air.

`It's beautiful' she whispered.

`Of course it is' said Jack proudly.

Suddenly Jack caught hold of her hand and pulled, but she stayed put. He laughed and started running with his loping stride towards the lake. He kicked off his trainers en route and shrugged off his leather jacket and then his shirt. Without altering pace, he ran along the old wooden jetty and when he reached the end he executed a perfect curving dive into the water. Sam started running down to the waters edge, picking up the discarded clothes on the way. She could see his white tee shirt slicing through the water. He eventually surfaced, turned and swam strongly for the shore. As he reached the jetty he pushed straight up and out of the water. Sam laughed as he jumped up and down, flailing his arms.

`Cold! So cold! Quick, quick unlock the cabin door. Keys in jacket pocket' he shouted.

Sam rooted in his jacket pocket and pulled out a set of keys. Jack was still jumping from foot to foot, his jeans dripping and splattering water. He grabbed the keys and ran for the door. He turned on the power and by the time Sam had brought the bags from the car and pushed open the door she could hear the shower going. She put the bags down and looked around the cabin with interest. There was a small log burning stove and a pile of wood stacked neatly at the side. She opened the glass door in the stove and criss crossed small sticks in the bottom. She lit the twigs with a match and when they had caught hold she loaded in some larger branches. She shut the glass door and the soft firelight helped to light the room. She found some coffee and an old kettle. Filling the kettle with water she put it onto the stove. On old polished table and chairs stood under a wide window and against the wall was a well worn, but comfortable leather couch. A fine wool blanket was thrown over the couch back and a good Native American style rug was on the polished floorboards. There were two doors in the room, one leading to the bathroom, the other to a cosy bedroom. Sam peeped into the bedroom. It contained just an old, stripped pine wardrobe, a chair, a small lamp on a bedside cabinet and a lovely old cast iron bed. There was a beautiful old patchwork quilt in shades of blue, white and burgundy. She closed the door quietly and sat in the old armchair next to the log burner.

After a couple of minutes Jack emerged from the bathroom dressed in a dark towelling robe. He held his still dripping jeans in one hand. He walked to the door, opened it and flung them out onto a small bush next to the porch. He turned to look at Sam.

`Sorry about that. Kind of a tradition' he said sheepishly.

Sam smiled.

`That's ok, sir'.

`Do you like the cabin? And loose the `sir'' he said firmly.

Sam glanced round.

`I absolutely love it' she said quietly.

`I'm glad. Thought it might be a bit primitive for you city girls'.

Sam shook her head thinking of some of the inhospitable places they had camped over the years.

Jack picked up his bag, rooted in it and pulled out clean jeans, shirt and a small bag of food. He'd brought some pasta, tomatoes, salad and onions. He dropped them on the table and headed for the bathroom.

`I'll be back in a minute. There's some wine over there if you want to open it? Corkscrew's in the drawer'.

Sam wandered over to the dresser on which half a dozen bottles were standing. She picked a fruity red and rooted for the corkscrew in the cupboard. The dresser also contained a small row of photographs in frames and Sam glanced at them. There was an older couple who Sam guessed were Jack's parents, one of SG1 that she didn't even remember being taken, a couple of formal military portraits and one of a young boy clutching a baseball bat. She picked up the picture of the boy, guessing that it was Charlie and scrutinised the face. He had his father's brown eyes, but a mop of soft fairish hair. She felt sad as she looked at the happy smiling face. As she replaced it carefully another loose photograph slid out from it's hiding place at the back of the frame. She picked it up, looked at it and felt her breath catch in her throat. It was a picture of her taken by Daniel when they were on one of the more pleasant missions that they had undertaken. Her hair was shining in the bright sunshine and she was laughing. She remembered how Teal'c had completely misunderstood something they had been talking about and how she had teased him until he'd thrown her over his shoulder and dunked her in the small stream that had run next to their camp. It had been such a happy day. Hearing Jack move in the bathroom she quickly replaced the photograph, grabbed the wine and walked back to the table. Quickly pulling the cork, she'd just poured it when Jack emerged from the bathroom. He flashed her a quick grin, grabbed a glass and the food and headed for a small preparation area next to the sink. Taking out a pan and some more supplies from the cupboard, he chopped the vegetables, added the pasta to the water and balanced the pans on the stovetop.

Sam watched him.

`Very impressive!' she said, sipping at her wine

`Don't be impressed. This is about the full repertoire, along with chilli' he said wryly.

The food was soon cooked and he filled two bowls and put them on the small table. He lit a couple of candles, put them on the table and pulled out her chair for her.

`Food?' he asked.

`Thanks. That's lovely' she said appreciatively sniffing at her bowl.

`More wine?'

`Please'.

They sat and ate in silence, both feeling slightly uncomfortable in the unusual situation and setting. At last Sam sat back in her chair and sighed deeply.

`Thank you, sir. That was lovely' she said.

Jack stood up and still without speaking he took Sam's hand and pulled her up and the to the door. Opening the door, he led her out onto the porch.

`Look Carter. How many of those have we been to?' and he looked up at the brilliant stars overhead.

She gazed up at the breathtaking panorama spread across the velvety sky.

`We have been to some amazing places, haven't we, sir?'

`Yeah we sure have'.

`Which is your favourite?' asked Sam.

`Right here, right now' he said immediately.

Sam looked at him in amazement, `Really?'

`Sure. It always is'.

Although it was so dark, she could still see his eyes sparkle as he gazed upwards. She was tired after the long day and she stifled a yawn unsuccessfully. Jack watched her as her eyes drooped.

`Come on, you take the bed, I'll have the sofa'.

Before she could protest, he walked back into the room, picked up her bag and took it into the bedroom. She followed him in and as he collected his things, she hung up her shirts and jacket and started putting her things into the drawers. He pulled back the quilt and shook it out, closed the curtains and lit the small lamp that sat by the bed. As she watched him, Sam still felt awkward in this strange situation. She still didn't know what Jack wanted from her, maybe it was just the caring CO looking after a team member. She was still thinking about it when she realised that he'd left the room, closing the door behind him. She heard the creak of the front door as he obviously returned to the porch.

Quickly undressing she pulled on her woolly pyjama bottoms and buttoned up her top. A pair of starwars slipper socks that Cassie bought her the previous Christmas completed the outfit.

As she brushed her hair in front of the mirror a large brown envelope perched next to the lamp caught her eye. It was clearly marked `MAJOR SAMATHA CARTER'. She picked it up with a puzzled expression and tuning it over she noticed the CONFIDENTIAL stamp across the flap. She quickly peeled it open and pulled out a sheaf of foolscap pages. In front was a memo entitled `Scientific Services Rationalisation'. She read it curiously.

In accordance with the recently announced rationalisation of Military Scientific Services, all forces scientific personnel will be reassigned line of command to one central scientific Corps. You will continue to carry your current rank and designation and you will be reassigned to satellite corps when required. Your direct line of command will now be Colonel James Docherty PhD. This change is effective immediately and Colonel Docherty will be interviewing each person individually to ensure that you duties and line of command are fully understood.

The remaining pages described in tedious detail the new ranking structure and procedures to be followed.

Sam grabbed the papers and stormed out of the bedroom, waving them in agitation.

`Colonel, sir, what the hell is all this?'

A lazy voice came from the porch.

`Out here, Carter'.

Still waving the papers she strode out onto the porch. Jack raised an eyebrow.

`You swatin' flies or something, Carter?'

Sam's eyes glistened dangerously.

`Were you going to tell me about this anytime. I assume you knew?' she shouted.

Jack pursed his lips.

`You been kinda preoccupied for a couple of weeks!' he muttered.

`Not that preoccupied. You're my CO, and you should have told me' she said.

`I just thought.....'.

`You just thought that you wouldn't tell me that my whole command structure's changed. How does this affect my position in the SGC?'

`It doesn't. You'll be seconded to SG1 when we need you. Hammond made sure of that. He's made sure that we have first call on you always' said Jack steadily.

`Oh!' said Sam.

Jack chewed on his bottom lip for a while and took a sip of Brandy as though searching for Dutch courage.

`And, how's this line of command thing work?' asked Sam thoughtfully.

`When you're on active duty with SG1, I'll still be your acting CO' said Jack, his voice lowering.

`And when we're not?' she asked slowly.

`Colonel Docherty will be' said Jack carefully.

`So, let me get this straight. The minute we step through the Stargate I call you `Sir', the minute we get back I call you...?'

`Pain in the butt, if you like!' said Jack, taking another sip of brandy.

`Might take you up on that, sir' said Sam.

`Sir?' queried Jack.

`Jack' said Sam.

`Sam' said Jack.

Silence fell again and Sam, still clutching her papers backed away from him and went back into the cabin. Her head was spinning as it ran through all the ramifications of the organisational changes. Since she'd been in the SGC, her line of command had always been Colonel O'Neill, then General Hammond. A simple and effective structure. The introduction of this new hierarchy would mean that she answered to Colonel Docherty as well as her former CO. Her thoughts were interrupted.

`You ok in there, Sam?' called Jack.

`Just thinking, sir' she replied.

`Take your time. And remember, not `Sir' any more. You're SC now, not Air Force' called Jack.

Sam frowned.

`SC?'

`Scientific Corps' called Jack.

Sam knew he was right, but the Air Force had been her life, and she couldn't imagine not being a part of it. Sam hesitated before calling the Colonel by his name.

`Jack, why are they doing this?'

`Money. Saves duplication of resources across the different forces' he replied smartly.

`Oh!'.

`You want me to come in and talk about it?' called Jack.

`No, sir. I'm fine. It just takes some getting used to' she called in response.

`Sure it does. I won't be able to give you orders when we're back at base'.

`You never could, sir!'.

`Insubordination!'.

`I had a good teacher!'.

Sam heard him chuckle.

`Sir, how does this affect all the regulations?' she asked suddenly.

She almost heard the slow intake of breath and after a hesitation he spoke, almost too quietly for her to hear.

`I thought you'd never ask!'.

`What's that, sir?'

`You follow the rules and regulations of your new organisation, except when you're directly under my command'.

`Which is when?'

`Only when we're on a mission'.

`You have a good grasp of this'.

`Yeah. I've given it a lot of thought. I needed to get it straight in my head'.

Jack's mind flickered back to meeting he'd had with General Hammond two weeks previously in Hammond's office.

`So, Colonel, as this directly affects one of your team, it's critical we all understand how it works. I want transition to be as smooth as possible' said the General with a sigh

`Well, I've got it, I think sir' said Jack.

`I know it's strange, Colonel and it's going to mean changes, but there are advantages' said Hammond slowly.

Jack looked at him confusedly, `There are, sir?'

`Yes. You loose some paper work'.

`I do?'

`Yes. Major Carter's career will now be in the hands of the SC'.

`Oh!' said Jack with a frown.

General Hammond looked at him and spoke carefully, each word clipped and measured.

`And the rules and regulations that apply with line of command will only apply when you're off world. When you're back here, you won't be her line of command, so they won't'.

`Sir?'

`I think you understand me, Colonel!'.

`Yes, I think I do. And thank you for pointing that out, sir'.

`Thank you, Colonel.'

As Jack was leaving, the General had called him back with a twinkle in his eye.

`Oh, and son, good luck!'.

Jack leaned back in the chair and rested his long legs on the balustrade surrounding the porch. He nursed his glass of brandy as he rocked back and forth on just two legs of the chair. He knew that she'd understood the ramifications of the changes in organisation, he just didn't know what to do next. The whole universe seemed to shift and he felt out of place and slightly uncomfortable. He closed his eyes, enjoyed the slight evening breeze.

Sam stumbled back to the bedroom and sat on the bed to compose her thoughts. She understood the veiled references to the regulations that Jack had made, she just didn't know what to do next. It was as though stone walls were crumbling around her. She knew what she wanted. She wanted Jack and suddenly she could have him. It was all moving too fast. She laughed to herself giddily.

`Oh yeah. Moving too fast! Since when has five years been too fast?'

She knew that she would have to make the first move, so she stood up resolutely, slipped quietly into the lounge. Pouring herself a stiff brandy, she clutched the glass and headed back to the bedroom, bringing with her four candles and the matches. She placed the candles around the room, lit them and shut off the small lamp. The candlelight flickered in time with her stomach as she rooted in the drawer and pulled out the silk night-dress. She quickly shed her pyjamas and pulled it over her head. Smoothing the cool silk over her hips, she ran her tongue over her lips and gulped the brandy down in one. As the warmth of the brandy started to spread through her she slipped out of the bedroom and to the door, which was still stood open. She saw Jack leaning back, balancing on the two legs of the chair and without thinking, she grabbed the chair back and yanked it down until it rested on the wooden planking. His arms and legs flailed uselessly, grabbing at the air and she just burst out laughing.

`Sir. You're getting old!'.

With a sudden movement, he grabbed her round the waist and pulled her down on top of him, grinning.

`Not so old, yet, Carter'.

His eyes and hands registered the soft silk and he quickly squirmed round until he was seated on the floor, facing her and she was knelt in front of him. He looked at her with a serious expression and a fire in his eyes that Sam had seen only flashes of before. She felt herself blush, wondering if she had made a tactical mistake.

`Not sure that qualifies as warm clothing, Sam!' he said seriously.

She suddenly had a thought and laughing she pulled him up. Opening her eyes wide in mock alarm she delicately took hold of her gown at thigh level and pulled it up 12 inches from the floor, revealing the lurid purple Star Wars socks. Luke Skywalker gazed up at her from her ankles.

`See, sir. I did do as ordered' she said cheekily.

Jack looked down in astonishment and then started grinning widely.

`Now that's what I call sweet!'

Before she realised, he took a step towards her and slid his hands round her waist, looking straight in her eyes. She felt her knees start to weaken as she felt his warm breath on her face.

`Sam. What do you want?' he whispered.

`Jack?'

`I have to know what you want from me?' he demanded.

She looked at him. His face was serious and unsure, almost afraid. With one fluid movement he unbuttoned his shirt sleeve and reaching inside the checked material he pulled out the Tolen bracelet and held it out towards Sam.

`For you' he said simply and turned away as though to watch her would be too painful.

`Where did you get it?' she demanded.

`I wasn't in black ops for nothing' he said, pursing his lips and then turning away.

He leant against the porch rail and gazed unseeing into the trees that encroached onto the cabin. Sam turned the bracelet over in her hands, looking at how the coloured panels glinted in the moonlight. After a momentary hesitation she slipped it on her arm and waited. When Nareen had first given her the bracelet and she'd put it on, it had felt like a warm breeze softly blowing over her. She'd loved the feeling of adoration that she'd absorbed like water offered to a thirsty man. But this time it hit her like a hurricane and she staggered backwards unseeing. She didn't see Jack grab her shoulders and lower her gently onto the righted chair. Her eyes were closed, her head thrown backwards. His impression on the bracelet felt rich and complex where Nareem's had been subtle and delicate. Her head swam with the waves of sheer need washing over her and she gave herself up to it. The heat grew inside her until she gasped with emotion.

Jack watched her with concern until eventually he pulled the bracelet from her arm and she let out a short cry of loss.

`I never knew! I never knew!' she whispered.

`Sam! Are you ok?' he asked anxiously, kneeling in front of her.

Suddenly she opened her eyes and gazed straight into his. She slid one arm around his neck pulling his face towards hers until their lips were only a hairs breadth apart. Waiting just a moment she softly kissed him. She felt a shudder pass through his body as his arms wrapped round her, engulfing her in his embrace, and he returned the kiss with passion. He pulled away for a moment and looked at her.

`Sam, you're so beautiful. Are you sure?'

She didn't answer him, she just took his hand, stood up and pulled him upwards and then towards the bedroom. As she opened the door she saw his eyes flicker with amazement at the candles and the soft glow that permeated the room. Pulling him into the room, she shut the door behind her, reached up again for his face and kissed him again.

`I had no idea' she repeated, almost shyly.

`I don't know what to say' he said helplessly.

`I know' she smiled, `Don`t say anything!'.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz