Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

STRANDED TRAVELLER

by Psymon1971
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
STRANDED TRAVELLER

STRANDED TRAVELLER

by Psymon1971



Stranded Traveller by Psymon1971

Maybourne might be a weasel but I had just started to warm up to him a bit, now, a fugitive on the run from everyone and every organization, I was unsure of how I would be able to help him.

He contacted me through one of the NID bulletin boards that I had managed to get Daniel to watch over periodically; computers and me, well y'know. I had a days leave due so took off from the base up towards my "get-away-from-it-all" fishing hole in Minnesota. I hadn't been there long before Maybourne appeared from inside my cabin.

"Ya, see, that's why it's difficult to like you Maybourne, have you no respect for anybody or anything?"

"Don't worry Jack, I haven't touched a thing and I am sure there is nothing in there you have that I want"

"Then why'd you get me up here then, few beers and some fishing?"

"All in good time Jack, all in good time"

Still while I was here I may as well make the most of it. I got out a chair and sat on the edge of the jetty, rod jutting out over the water, the light breeze rippling the surface of the water with the sunlight reflecting at crazy angles, it almost seemed like fishing in the event horizon I had become so familiar with. As I leaned back I felt a small prick in my neck and the lights went out.

Waking suddenly in a dimly lit room, I was suddenly aware that I was no longer fishing, seeing as I no longer had a chair or a beer in my hand.

"MAYBOURNE!!!!!, I'm really gonna shoot you this time!"

"Not your old friend Jack, surely?"

I grabbed him, but stopped as there in the room behind him was what he had wanted me to see. A member of the Asguard.

"He's alive Jack, although you don't know this one as he has been locked away for the past two years"

"Where, what, why.. what's going on Maybourne?"

"Here's the thing Jack, he's not mine to keep but seeing as I don't care what his captors…"

"NID?"

"This one goes all the way Jack…think about it, his knowledge makes him far more valuable than a Goa'uld. If you can help me then I can't see why you shouldn't have him, so you can do what you do best and send him back to the Asguard"

"Y'know Maybourne something just doesn't seem right, you getting all mushy and stuff, what's in it for you, you want money?…."

"Jack, Jack, pleeeease, do you think you have enough money to buy him, c'mon I do however need something from you…"

"I can't hide you Maybourne, they will watch my place as well as the base for anyone or anything to help capture you…"

"I need some information, and I need you to go and see our old friend Senator Kinsey for it"

"Ok, Maybourne, but what do you want from him, he's almost as slimy as you?"

"He has a book out of the library and it needs to be returned"

"Hey, I get enough riddles from Daniel, what is it you want, exactly?"

"It's a black book……."

"Oh like that's original"

"It's my black book Jack and I need it back…it was confiscated after my arrest and it contains valuable coded data that I need to help keep me alive if they ever catch up with me, plus I have a few names and numbers of people on the inside who have been helping us"

"Kinsey will have had that looked at by now and it will be useless…."

"No Jack he won't as it is written in the language of the Ancients and as Dr. Jackson is the only one who will be able to translate it other than myself I am confident the intel

contained will be untouched"

"You know the language of the Ancients?"

"Enough to decode that book"

"For me to get to Kinsey I need to go to DC and cash in on my visit to the White House. Last time I did that Kinsey interrupted that visit and I bet ya bottom dollar he will do it again. And anyway, where are we?"

"Not far Jack, an NID secure building, I still have one or two friends, which is why we are both still alive after seeing this…"

"Can I talk to him, the Asguard…"

"Sorry Jack, no time, our window is getting smaller and smaller. It's time to go….."

"Go? I don't even know what State I'm in…."

"Sorry bout this Jack …

And with that he stuck me again with a needle

Maybourne had a nasty habit of annoying me, particularily when I was helping him. I called Daniel to cover for me as this was going beyond my day off, I'm sure Hammond would understand eventually, maybe after my court martial….. Daniel warned me that both him and Carter had been shadowed for the past 24 hours and to be careful. Teal'c was still offworld on Chulak but was due back within the hour.

A quick visit home to change and the phone call to invite myself once again to the White House and I set off for DC. It wasn't long before my shadow picked me up and trailed me all the way. A limousine was waiting for me as expected and I recognised the driver from our last 'tour of DC' but I didn't acknowledge him and got in, it was all going peachy.

Sure enough it wasn't long before we pulled up and Kinsey got in, and I got out. Kinsey then got out as well,

"I thought this time we might stroll down the street Kinsey, seeing as I don't know the city and you do"

I was hoping that this would be enough of a deterrent to prevent him trying anything.

There were a lot of civilians on the streets and it wouldn't do for a Senator to be involved in an 'incident' in public.

"I've gotta hand it to you Colonel, you just don't know when to give up do you? The President is a very busy man and as I told you last time you are no longer his favourite number one son"

"Well, that's just fine Kinsey seeing as it is you I want"

"I have nothing for you and you have nothing I cannot obtain"

"Oh that's right… you're the bloke with connections to the …."

"That's enough Colonel O'Neill, what do you want?"

"You have something in your posession that doesn't belong to you and to save us going through a list of things that aren't yours I will cut to the chase, I want Maybourne's book"

"Ha, do you realise that your esteemed career is over the moment you come into contact with that traitor?"

"Let me worry about my career just give me the damn book!"

"Now why would I go and give you that… it makes interesting reading"

"Well I could shoot you…or Maybourne just sends his copy of the data incriminating you in various NID operation to your Boss or maybe the voters would like a peek at the real Senator Kinsey. You are not in any position to negotiate, give me the book, Maybourne stays quiet"

"He'll be your undoing O'Neill"

"If I have to ask again, I think I will shoot you and then I'll take the book"

"I have to go back to the car"

"That's fine, I've seen what I wanna see"

On return to the car Kinsey removes his briefcase and pulls out a black book. You could tell he was angry, he had that funny purple red tint to his face….

"Thank you, see, you can play nice.."

I took the book and flicked it open, although full of strange characters they seemed vaguely familiar to me I guessed this was the right book.

"Well Senator, it's been fun…see ya around"

And with that I hailed a taxi. I figured that if I got back in the limo I probably wouldn't get to see the airport again.

I phoned Daniel while in the air and he said the SGC had visitors. The goon squad had arrived with Simmons; apparently the evidence that got him arrested for talking with the Goa'uld vanished and he was released back into the care of the Pentagon. I knew I couldn't return there just yet. Daniel said that Maybourne had left a message and I was to

"… go fishing"

It was a reasonable drive and I seemed to have shaken off any tail I might have had. I tried to imagine how I was going to explain all this to General Hammond, and Sam since she had been kept out of the loop for her own good. Teal'c would understand so no problems there.

I pulled over for some gas and some water and when I returned to the truck there was Maybourne sitting in my seat..

"Hop in Jack, we gotta way to go yet"

"Get out of my seat"

"Do you know the way?"

"You scratch it… you pay for it"

We hit the road almost immediately. There didn't appear to be a path that we were following but Maybourne seemed to know where he was going. Before too long we arrived at the mouth of hole in the ground. It looked like a natural hole but I guess that was the idea.

"This home Maybourne?, I knew it would be some hole…"

"That's not fair Jack, c'mon"

The climb down was, interesting, but I wondered if this was a NID hideaway they could have made the entrance a little more, well y'know, easy?

"This is the back way Jack, in case you're interested, security has been tightened after your little visit with Kinsey"

"Oh, any bounty yet?"

"Huh?"

"Just interested, wanted to know how much I'm worth"

"Not as much as me or the Asguard we are about to spring"

Inside Maybourne collected two Zats from behind a cabinet in what appeared to be the janitors closet.

"For insurance Jack…try not to kill anyone, you're more use to me, as I am to you, if you are still in SG1 rather than locked up or facing execution for murder"

"Sure thing Harry…"

We moved swiftly taking out two NID personnel on our way to the holding room. We would have to be real quick as they regularly had to check in. Maybourne left me to rescue the Asguard as he was going to create a diversion for us to get out.

Relieving one of the guards of his swipe card I opened the door. The Asguard was weak

and meekly turned towards me…

"It's okay, I'm with the good guys and a friend of the Asguard Thor.."

The Asguard perked up,

"You are friends with Thor?.."

"Yes and we need to get you outta here and back with the Asguard as soon as we can"

"We?"

"I have had some help from a reformed character who is creating a diversion for our escape, sorry about this but we need to get moving"

and with that I scooped him up and carried the Asguard.

"Jack, we gotta go…."

"Ok, Maybourne which way..?"

"Lets try the front door…."

He was smiling, not normally a good sign, and I could see why, Maybourne had neutralised the entire NID security force, I don't even know how he did it and I didn't care, we were leaving. Outside were a number of NID jeeps and Maybourne started one up..

"What about my truck?"

"Not too attached to that truck, were you Jack?"

"MAYBOURNE … !!!"

"No time Jack, we have to go.."

I put the Asguard in the back and jumped in.

As we left at speed Maybourne pointed at the rear view mirror, the ground shook and the entire area around the NID site sunk into the ground.

"What the hell"

"Every NID building is equipped with the necessary means to ensure it can be erased permanently should something go wrong…I just ensured it went wrong!"

"What about your guys on the inside?"

"Long gone, I'll see them again"

"That just leaves us with one problem, how do we return the Asguard…"

"My name is Odin"

"Ok how do we get Odin back to the SGC without getting caught"

"Hopefully the NID will have learnt about the 'accident' at the site and I can't see

Simmons missing the action so that should leave the base fairly open but you might need to call in some favours Jack, to help with the remaining NID there.."

"No problem, pass me that cellphone"

"Daniel?"

"Jack?, where are you?"

"Heading your way"

"That's not good there are still NID here.."

"Is Simmons there..?"

"No he left with most of them a little while ago, he seemed really agitated, anything to do with you?.."

"May…be. Can you neutralise the remaining NID, get Teal'c to help and tell General Hammond I have a guest who requires immediate departure? Tell him it'll explain itself when I arrive"

"Sure, thing Jack although I am not sure how I will convince the General."

"Just remind him, that he was going to give me continued latitude and patience... that should do the trick"

"Ok Maybourne, we're set…"

"I'm not Jack, I have to make a stop, I can't just walk into the SGC I am still wanted for treason"

"Look, you made a mistake. Granted it was the worst one you can make, but somewhere and sometime this will go away if you continue to do what you have done for me recently, helping rescue Carter and saving Teal'c…."

"I like it this way Jack, keeps me on my toes and allows me to go that little bit further and don't think I won't be seeing you again.."

"I am sure you will"

With that we pulled in a to a truck stop and Harry left. In a weird kind of way he would make an ideal member of SG-1 but deep down there was something about him that I felt was just not quite right and that meant that although he was earning my trust he had a long way to go yet.

Odin was quiet in the back and under a blanket, it seemed undignified for an Asguard to travel like this and I wondered why he hadn't just beamed up to his ship or something.

Maybourne said the file read that Odin had been on a reconnaissance mission after reports that a Goa'uld had been captured on Earth. Fearing that the Goa'uld's captors would bring danger to themselves and to the treaty that protected Earth from attack by the Goa'uld he was to report back to the Asguard High Council where a course of action would be put in to place. However on meeting with the Goa'uld in secret, away from the surveillance equipment, the Goa'uld trapped Odin using a mind blocking nerve agent released through his skin and tried to use Odin to bargain for his freedom. Luckily for us the NID are greedy and decided that they would keep them both, the Goa'uld had now given the NID yet another reason for them to keep him.

In a way the NID having the Goa'uld was bad but while they had him and he had things of value to offer them he wouldn't be going anywhere so that was good, for now. Apart from that the thought of helping a Goa'uld escape through our Stargate seemed hypocritical to say the least and Teal'c would only try to kill him anyway.

We arrived at Cheyenne mountain without incident, I assumed Daniel and Teal'c had been successful. The base seemed deserted. We arrived on level 28 where we were greeted by an 'exciteable' General Hammond and the rest of SG1

"COLONEL O'NEILL this has got to be something out of this world for me to put my base and command in jeopardy for you, explain yourself!"

"Yes Sir, well it's kinda like this…."

"You are General Hammond of the SGC"

"Colonel, who is this?"

"General Hammond meet Odin of the Asguard"

"What's he doing here?"

"NID captured him Sir with the help of their Goa'uld"

"You are of course welcome here Odin, Colonel what do we do now?"

"General, we need to get Odin to the dialing computer to dial out"

"If it's the Asguard homeworld we will need to hook a naquadah generator up to the gate"

"Make it happen Major Carter, take Teal'c with you"

"Hi, Sir"

"Hi, Carter!"

"Colonel O'Neill, you, Daniel Jackson and Odin make your way to the dialling room"

"I will sound the all clear and get everyone back on base, a radiation leak sounded like a good excuse to not involve anyone else in this charade"

"Very good Sir"

It didn't take Carter and Teal'c long to hook up the generator and Odin began to enter the dialling sequence. As the seventh chevron encoded, the generator fired into life supplying the extra power for the eight chevron to engage. Through the glass in the dialling room the team watched the wormhole vortex fill the gate room with light and then settled back into a calm pool that formed the event horizon. We made our way to the gate room, as Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and General Hammond watched I escorted Odin up the ramp towards the gate.

"O'Neill"

"Yes Odin"

"You have once again exceeded your limitations proving that our faith in humankind would be a valuable contribution to harmony throughout the galaxy as the fifth race, however the time is not yet right, when it is you will know"

"Ermm, thanks, I think" and Odin was gone.

"Colonel O'Neill in my office…"

"Yes Sir…"

"Colonel in all my years I have never had an officer under me that quite measures up to your levels of …. I can't even describe how many rules you have broken. I have six NID guys lying in a holding cell unconscious after Teal'c and Daniel Jackson shot them with those zats…but I will deal with them later. I will have to spend a long, long time on this phone" …points to the 'red' phone… "in order to pacify the necessary people and to ensure that I am still in command here and not you….do I make myself clear…?"

"Crystal, Sir"

"Colonel, I seem to be forever stretching the boundaries to accommodate your actions. However I cannot fault what you did, just the way you did it. That bit is a mystery but one that you will fill in for me…I want to see that report on my desk in one hour…."

"Yes General, Sir"

"Colonel, Jack, ….."

"Sir?"

"Good job, son."

DISCLAIMER:

Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of STARGATE (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.

31.07.2002

Special Thanks to Lady S for her help…



If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Psymon1971